About last night …

161605978_slide

In his post-game media scrum, Michel Therrien was looking at a glass half-full.
“We have to stay positive,” the coach said. “We won the game.”
Yes indeed, your Montreal Canadiens ended their three-game losing streak.
And if their visit to Tampa had ended after 54 minutes of play, we’d be celebrating a 3-0 win and singing a rousing chorus of Happy Days Are Here Again.

As it was, however, the Canadiens needed three saves from Carey Price in the Shootout to leave Tampa with two points were in the bag until the bag sprung a leak.

As has tended to happen with dismaying frequency lately.

Against Boston at the Bell Centre last week, the Canadiens took a 1-0 lead into the third period and lost 2-1.

The next night in Buffalo, they were leading with 12 minutes left in the third period. The Sabres tied the game with two seconds left and won the Shootout.

In Tampa, a three-goal lead evaporated with six minutes to play.

Do you see a pattern here? After blowing on-, two- and three-goal leads, will the Canadiens be up 4-0 heading into the third period against the Panthers Thursday night?

But Therrien is right: A win is a win, and the Canadiens deserved a W after playing an excellent road game for 54 minutes. And it was their first win in the state of Florida since March 5, 2011, when they beat the Lightning 4-2.

Max Pacioretty, who scored twice in that game, is still looking for his first goal this season. Max-Pac had four of the Canadiens 34 shots on goal Tuesday night; but his new line – with Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher – was the Canadiens’ least effective against Tampa Bay.

You raed that right, Habs fans: Max-Pac and the Flying Freshmen were outplayed by Lars Eller and the Lumbering Laggards. The Canadiens’ fourth line had its best game of the season, and Therrien singled out Eller for particular praise, lauding his work ethic and compete level at both ends of the ice.

Eller was on the ice for Tampa Bay’s second and third goals. But don’t let that obscure the fact he’s worked his ass off since being a healthy scratch for the second and third games of the season.

As usual Tomas Plekanec had the most ice time of Canadiens’ centres (21:30) and DD was second at 17:39. But Eller had more ToI, 13:02, than Galchenyuk’s 11:30.

Chucky, who turned 19 on Tuesday, did not have much of a birthday bash. The prize rookie had no shots on goal, looked lost during his 2:46 on the power-play and lost eight of 12 faceoffs.

It’s part of the learning curve for a kid who is going to be a special player. And maybe Galchenyuk and Gallagher, who had one shot on goal but registered three hits, were missing Brandon Prust, their babysitter since the beginning of the season.

Prust played with Desharnais and Erik Cole, both of whom were better than they were against Toronto on Saturday. Of course, they hardly could have been worse.

But Cole looked more interested than he had through the first 11 games. And DD won 11 of his 19 faceoffs.

Draws continue to be a problem for the Canadiens, who are 28th in faceoff efficiency. The ineptitude creates particular problems on special teams. Losing draws costs 10 to 20 seconds on the power-play and lets opponents get right into their set-up when they have the man advantage.

Another problem is penalties. The Canadiens are the most penalized team in the league – by a lot: 22.1 minutes per game to 17.5 minutes for runner-up Philadelphia. And you can bet the Flyers, who visit the Bell Centre this Saturday, aren’t committing a bunch of lazy, pussy-ass obstruction fouls.

Oops! I’ve strayed a bit from Therrien’s positivity message.

Back to the good stuff:

• Price, who struggled in Shootouts last season, was perfect in his first of 2013.

• Andrei Markov played 26:38 and blocked five shots, to match Josh Gorges.

• Raphael Diaz played 24 smart, quality minutes.

• I didn’t notice Alexei Emelin, and that’s a good thing.

• Travis Moen engaged B.J. Crombeen in a hilarious fight that featured Moen throwing body shots.

• The power-play, which has struggled since Boston ran a clinic on how to counter it, needed a 5-on-3 to do it but produced a goal by Brian Gionta.

• Until it was beaten late – and with ace Plekanec in the box – the penalty-kill was highly effective against the second-ranked PP in the league.

So on to the east coast of Florida – where the Panthers blew a 5-3 lead and lost to Washington.

1. mark-ID says:

That glove goal was ridiculous. No way it should have counted. That is two questionable goals against us now. This one and the one in Buffalo.

I felt the one in Buffalo was karma because of the Ottawa goal that was disallowed against us……..thank god we still won.

• Hate to say it, but I’m pretty sure that was a good goal — if only because the video looked pretty inconclusive. If the puck goes in the net and there’s no evidence that it shouldn’t have, it’s a good goal. I hear you though, it was a shot to the heart…

Agree, because the refs initially called it a goal, they were kind of forced to keep it that way. If the refs had initially called no goal, just the same it would have stayed no goal.

Do I think Hedman tried hitting it with his hands? Perhaps, but he kept them on his stick as he did so, thus making it hard to say.

• Cal says:

I’ve scored a few that way in beer league play and the only official on the ice called it right every time: no goal.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I don’t care if the ref called it a good goal, I bet he would have called any questionable goal a good call, forcing the war room to just make sure that the puck entered the net ‘properly’ without looking at the circumstances.

2. The Jackal says:

I’m just glad MT is our coach. Much better choice than picking up a commenter on a Habs blog ;)

• I’ve got to agree with you there. The fact that none of us seem to agree with the tactics of a winning coach is probably a pretty good indication that we wouldn’t be winning coaches. : )

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

If it weren’t for the 5 of you on here who don’t seem clinically depressed and at the verge of ending it all, I wouldn’t be able to tolerate it.

But, blogs and comments sections are a nasty b!t(her’$ best friend.

3. Strummer says:

The Moen – Crombeen fight was a joke.

Mostly sweater-tugging and wrestling as in most fights in the modern era.

For the keepers of the phantom code that regulates hockey fights may i suggest an amendment?

NO MORE HOLDING JERSEYS PLEASE!

It looks ridiculous. Just throw punches like the old days.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• HabFanSince72 says:

Travis didn’t want to punch Crombeen in the head. I suspect he knew about Crombeen’s recent concussion.

Which is more than you can say for Tampa’s staff. He shouldn’t have been playing, let alone challenging someone to a fight. League remains blissfully unconcerned about brain damage.

Moen is able to fight, but is hockey player first (grinder) fighter second. Crombeen is a fighter first, player second.

I think Moen answered the bell as Crombeen initiated, and Moen ensured he wasn’t hurt. Perhaps not entertaining, but I don’t watch hockey games for the quality of fights. Yes they happen, yes they can be exciting, but that wasn’t a fight driven by Moens anger or passion against an injustice. It was a BS fight where Tampa was trying to get a spark.

By Moen not allowing Crombeen to make mincemeat it should of diffused any spark. Unfortunately TBay did get a comeback out of it.

I don’t hold that fight against Moen.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Didn’t get to see the fight, suppose I could youtube it. But I saw Mitch Melnick tweeting that he was upset that Moen doesn’t have that killer instinct , or something like that.

I agree with Burly above, Moen is a 3rd/4th line grinder. Guys like Moen, White and even Prust are chippy, hard nosed players, not goons. Prust loves to fight but he’s not a designated, heavyweight goon.

Hopefully sometime soon, the Habs find a heavyweight that won’t be a liability on the ice.

I can’t wait for Jarred Tinordi baby. He’s no goon but he’s a heavyweight who can fight and he’s 6’6″. I’ll be doing back flips when he’s ready for prime time!

• Strummer says:

I’m not a fan of fights and think fighters should be tossed.
      However they persist in allowing it and i’m tired of all the poser/fighters and their little rituals after the gloves are dropped and they end up tugging sweaters like girls.
      It’s a waste of time and I appeal to the “Code” keepers to at least make it respectable.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Congrats to DD for the shootout goal. While I am one of those starting to be frustrated with his in game play, he was clutch when needed during shootout. Good call by MT having him in there.

5. habs-fan-84 says:

Random thoughts:

I thought Cole played his best game last night. Veteran move by not retaliating on Hedman and for the first time all season I saw him driving to the net with authority.

Also, I thought Pacioretty showed some signs of life on the G bros. line. Gotta love Gallagher’s fiestyness – laid a good hit last night and is intimidated by almost no one. I thought that line looked quite good at times.

Perfect time for this road trip, had to get out of Montreal after Saturday night.

• HabFanSince72 says:

RDS had a few shots of him not playing well, losing one on one battles, not covering his man. He was one of the players responsible for the first Tampa goal too.

6. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! We are in 7th place with 15pts. 3teams are ahead of us with 16pts and we have a game in hand on all of them.Not to shabby.What is still a big concern to me is the carry over from last season of Net Crashing of Price. If the Habs have a lead in the third ,It is a given that the opposing teams have been coached to run Price or get in his paint.Why? Because it works.I sound like a broken record on this since last year but so what?Last night on L”Antichambre Pat Roy said the same thing.If Habs don’t get some Nasty on D then Price could get injured and we are done.He even said if guys are trying to take out Price then hit them in the head ,hard.You can take a penalty like that but you send a message.He said the Habs are taking way to many penalties in the offensive Zone and none in Careys paint. Hey,say what you like about Roy,he has 3 cups and 3 Conn Smyeths.He knows Goaltending.

• Chuck says:

It worked perfectly for Tampa last night. Blatantly run over the goaltender, drawing the interference call… but you also know that someone’s going to come to the goalie’s defense, hence equalizing penalties. Then when you pull your own goalie, you’ve got the man advantage with a lot more open ice.

___________________________________________________

• bel33 says:

Doesn’t he have 4 cups? And I agree in principle… that the “Crashing of Price” has to end.

7. habs-fan-84 says:

Sigh, what is with all this talk about a coaching change!?

We’re 7-4-1

and

4 points out of first place with a game in hand all with a new coach and system.

People seriously need to relax.

8. commandant says:

Tampa got two flukey goals.

1 bounced off three skates and in the net.

The other was gloved in and shouldn’t have counted.

And the Habs still got 2 points on the night. No need to panic.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

9. athanor says:

Boone, I loved Emelin last year. This year? Not so much.

You may not have noticed him last night, but I did, and, unfortunately, it wasn’t in a good way. There were far too many times when he was being outskated and struggling with the puck.

It almost makes me wonder if he is sick, hurt or something else, because he isn’t showing the great style of last year.

10. rhino514 says:

I think every coach´s shelf life is short in Montreal. I think the team needed a change from JM; with Therrien supposedly there is more communication and more emotion, but HE IS perhaps less technically minded.
    Having said that, the thing everyone was saying is how this guy is a timebomb waiting to go off; it´s weird; he seems positively meek to me; almost like he is taking a mild antidepressant; he doesn´t seem fired up at all…So i don´t get that characterization of him. I wonder if alot of the opinions on him were formed from the blowup in that Carolina playoff game years ago. I honestly don´t remember how his demeanour was when he coached here last, but he sure seems mild-mannered now.
    To be honest, I think that someone like Therrien SHOULD be emotional, as long as it comes out at the appropriate times; I don´t think he should try to be something that he isn´t.

• 24 Cups says:

Considering the French language factor, it might have been very beneficial for Montreal to find a coach who would have a long term tenure like Babcock, Ruff or Trotz. Let the players and the media know that the coach had the full support of management.

11. habs12 says:

Columbus has 3 first round picks this year…I think it’s a good thing they didn’t let Howson stick around for that lol.

12. Loonie says:

Okay fellow Fanatics.

I’m not exactly known for passing on opportunities to criticize Michel Therrien but this timeout business is false.

HE USED IT IN THE SECOND PERIOD FOLLOWING AN ICING CALL.

It ain’t football, he doesn’t get three.

13. TMan1969 says:

Simple question why does every media outlet talk trash about Montreal?! TH2 said they won be chinny chin chins…during the game they imploded, it was as listening to Bob Cole…..come and most want to fire MT and trade…the team won! That’s where Ian (HAPPY BDAY) and MT got it right…losing 3…one that should have been in the bag was touh…so this win ugly as it was..was needed..

Gio and the kids..the Killer G’s! Eller has to be rewarded…Bring Blunden up…

Do not scorn a weak cub. He may become the brutal tiger.

Mongolian Proverb

14. edmond says:

Re PP, go back to Markov/Diaz on the points on the first unit and try Galchenyuk/Suban as point men on the 2nd unit. Stay with those combos for at least the whole game and see what the results are. Markov/Diaz worked great at the start of the season and Galchenyuk has the skills to play the point and should set up Suban quite well for his shot.

Ed.

15. Dirtsteed says:

Like most people on here, I’m really disappointed with the ice time PK is getting. Not being on the OT PP is a disgrace.

I am getting a little tired of watching Markov out there in key defensive situations. It was never his strong suit and the fact that he is slower isn’t helping. However, when you look at the alternatives (besides PK) there isn’t much in the way of support.

Plecanek is the best player on this team. He plays against the other teams best players, penalty kills and is smart. His puck control and protection is excellent. He is one of the few guys on this team I trust with the puck. DD should watch and learn.

16. ed lopaz says:

I think Cole showed some good leadership last night on that shift when he drew the penalty on Hedman.

That led to a 5-3 and an easy goal for Gionta.

I think Cole begins the season too relaxed, too comfortable, and that`s why he struggles early on.

Once he gets the fire in his belly going, he starts moving his feet, and good things start to happen.

As a former baseball coach I used to tell my players `go back to the basics`when you are slumping. Always go back to the basics in any sport when things aren`t going your way.

In hockey, its MOVE YOUR FEET.

Biggest flaw in Ovechkin`s game, for example, is that he believes he can be a star while watching the game on the ice. When he increases his energy, gets his feet moving, and is banging people, Ovechkin can be the best player in the world.

By contrast, the truly great players are constantly moving their feet, and making things happen.

It`s not rocket science. But it always amazes me how many hockey players seem to forget.

Ed, I agree, I thought Cole looked far more involved in the play yesterday. While he may not have gotten much for points out of it, I was satisfied with the effort put forward last night. This is a good sign, as I have to believe his work effort is infectious.

• ed lopaz says:

Cole is a leader on this team. Make no mistake about it.

All the young forwards look up to him and Max learned a ton from him last season.

I have seen Cole talking to Eller recently, as well.

17. JF says:

This year’s Habs are better than last year’s, but they still have too much of last year’s team in them. Poor playing habits and maybe a bit of last year’s attitude, especially when defending a lead. They spent the third period getting the puck out of their zone, dumping it, and going off for a change. Last year it came back to bite them just about every time, and we’re starting to see the same thing this year. The best way to protect a lead is to keep attacking; the Habs had little sustained offence during the third period. It reminded me of a game late last season against Minnesota, when we blew a three-goal lead in about four minutes at the end of the third period, taking the season-long tendency to an almost ludicrous extreme. At the time, the end of that game seemed almost a joke; this one came close to being a catastrophe. Had we lost this game, the team would probably have failed to show up against Florida and then gotten pounded by Philly. But we didn’t, so I’ll take the two points and our 7-4-1 record.

I thought Eller had perhaps his best game of the season. I hope Therrien rewards him with more ice-time.

The powerplay is starting to look like last year’s dysfunctional mess. At the start of the season, it was Diaz’s accurate shot and excellent passes that created most of our chances. At the moment, P.K. is not as good a passer as Diaz; his passes mostly have too much on them so the recipient can’t handle them cleanly. Therrien should go back to pairing Markov and Diaz on the powerplay.

Kudos to Price for the shootout. That was an area of his game that needed improvement, and he seems to have worked on it.

• Loonie says:

Every game since the Sens loss has been Eller’s best game of the season……if he doesn’t get a promotion within the lineup soon he never will.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I like my buddy Moen playing with Eller. It’s not great for Eller’s numbers but that Moen-Eller-Armstrong line was pretty good last night. Sine Moen and Armstrong are better than your average 5min a game goons, I think that line can work out well this year.

• Loonie says:

Eller and Moen do have some chemistry I’ll agree.

But I think Eller’s talent is wasted on the fourth line. Prust is the ideal fourth line centreman.

• Kooch7800 says:

What about Moen-Eller- Max P. give them some more minutes and
            put prust back with the kids. Sadly they looked good together.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Loonie says:

I would break up Galchenyuk and Gallagher personally.

Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta
            Galchenyuk – Desharnais – Cole
            Pacioretty – Eller – Gallagher
            Moen – Prust – Armstrong

• Kooch7800 says:

That could work as well. The only thing I think Galchenyuk is better at centre that the wing. They should maybe move DD to the wing for a bit as face offs are becoming an issue.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

18. Hobie Hansen says:

So just when people are reaching the end of their rope with Mr. Travis Moen, he scores a goal, screens the goalie on another and gets in a fight. Way to go Moen! Good game by that 4th line last night.

Only question I have, has Michel Therrien ever heard of using a timeout? My goodness!

19. habs12 says:

First European GM likely to be introduced in a few mins in Columbus.

20. von says:

Therrien defends his personnel decisions by saying he is putting the team in the best possible chance to win. Is that accurate when he put Gorges out on a 5 on 3 in OT? Mind boggling…

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Diaz instead of PK with a penalty to kill, 1 goal lead and 1 min to go. Like I said yesterday, is there anyone on the planet who thinks Diaz is better defensively than PK?

So tomorrow night we get to witness one of the greatest players in NHL history. His combination of brains and brawn make him one of the most desired players in the Commentariats history, I present to you one Mr. George Parros, Mr. Movember!

• 123456 says:

Imagine walking in dowtown detroit and seeing a lost stray kitten walking briefly beside you. The startled kitty ducks into an alley and your reaction is to walk after him in hopes of saving the poor little thing. As you are 25 feet into the alley Parros step towards you out of a dark shadow. I think I’d sh!t my pants!

22. HabsFanInTampa says:

I went to the game last night and I was surprised at the less-than-normal number of Canadien’s fans in attendance. Usually the Forum is full to capacity for Canadien’s games and is at least 50% Habs fans. No biggie. The next game is a very short distance from Hollywood, QC. Oops, I meant Hollywood, FL and there should be the usual 75% in attendance cheering for the Habs.

23. bel33 says:

I might get some flak for this… but I kind of wish White was in the lineup to maybe show that little Conacher… or especially Lee (I may have the wrong guy) with the habs up 3-0, that you do NOT run into and/or run over Price. 2 mins for instagating a pummelling of Lee (again I might have the wrong guy)… wouldn’t have bugged me much at all.

Geez… I really need to sign up for RDS again… watching a grainy stream version online is killing my eyes.

On the subject of Michel Therrien:

I hate the fact I am almost defending MT, as I wasn’t a fan of his on the first go around. Having said that, I also have watched the transformation of Ken Hitchcock, who was also known as a tyrant of a coach.

Lets see how the full year plays out and if indeed MT has not changed (would really love to use the Jim Leahy S&*T Leopard analogy, but I digress) then indeed this stint behind the Habs bench will be shortlived.

I still believe that MB is taking a very hands on approach with the players, with more communication than perhaps other GM’s. I bring this up because I feel if it indeed turns out that MT refuses to give certain players enough rope or doesn’t “get along” that MB hopefully can rectify the relationship between organization and player.

But while many of us are frustrated with his handling of Eller, he must be given more than 12 games. I hope he turns out to be a good choice, and I also hope and believe that he and MB will be in constant communication with regards to progress of our younger players in particular.

I do think Steve (24 Cups) brings up a valid point in that sometimes his words in English may be misinterpreted or perhaps incorrect choice of words has occurred.

Having said all that, MT needs to show the players and fans that his concepts and systems are working. If not, his shelf life will indeed be short. We shall see, time will tell.

• Loonie says:

I think he’s changed certain aspects of his personality. And I think if you watch him during trying moments it’s visible that he’s holding in his frustration.

Monday I noted that he wouldn’t even acknowledge Tim Peel during Saturday night’s fiasco. The old Therrien would have come close to taking a bench minor for verbally abusing the blind zebra.

I think he’s still learning how to be a “good guy” coach. In my opinion the next step is handling the players outside of the media briefing room. I’m sure he does to an extent, but not so level headed players won’t be taking kindly to being discussed in a negative way with reporters.

If anything right now he needs to be a hard ass with his minions. The penalty kill was much improved last night and looked much more organized instead of the chaos that had been all to evident through eleven games.

• Gerry H says:

I think Therrien’s been highly effective. Along with the strong start out of the gate, thanks to his far more aggressive system, his impact on player performance deserves mention. Contrast the handling of Eller, Cole, Desharnais and White with JM’s handling of Gomez, Moen and Kaberle. In the former case, lack of performance was directly addressed and, I think it’s fair to say, the players responded (or, in White’s case, the problem addressed). By contrast, JM was incredibly passive about Gomez’ lack of production, Kaberle’s lack of defensive responsibility and Moen’s fish-out-of-water top-six play. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

His approach to rewarding success and punishing failure has been nuanced, too. Cole’s slow start was not immediately addressed, which I think was MT taking into account #72’s long history of slow starts. I think that was smart. What was even smarter was that it only bought him a little more time, not a carte blanche. Likewise, DD was given some extra time on the top line in recognition of Max’s absence and Cole’s slow start. Again, though, no carte blanche.

As for Eller; message sent and received. Next step is to see him rewarded with something more than a little special teams time.

MT has been a pleasant surprise, from where I sit.

25. Say Ash says:

Those penalty minutes are a little skewed – much that is from Ryan White going full retard: 46 of 265 minutes, by my math.

26. habs-hampton says:

THe officiating this year has to be the worst in recent memory. The non-call on Cole hitting Hedman last night, the missed too-many-men in OT, the gloved in goal, the interference call in the 1st on Tampa. I don’t blame Boucher for being p***ed. I like that someone speaks their mind. And its not just one team or one set of officials. Oh, and the linesmen who REFUSE to drop the puck until they first throw someone out of the faceoff. What’s that all about. It’s getting embarassing.

27. Twillingater says:

Testing 123 Testing 123, anyone out there?

\”Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing\”

Team discipline is a coaching problem. Most penalized team in the league is squarely on the coach.
    The team is not buying what Therrien is selling this time around I guess! And his treatment of PK is shameful.

I think Therrien’s ego will do to PK what Mario Tremblay did to Patrick Roy!

Hal Gill had a great quote when he was here saying that the problem is everyone is trying to change P.K., but he is who he is and you can’t change him.
    Whether you like him or not, the kid is going to be one of the best
    and he can flat out play. He’d be a huge star in a big American market.
    Therrien will push him out of town because he does not know how to coach that much talent.
    Ian

29. OMG says:

The first 12 teams are so close in the eastern division standings. Every game has to be a win situation or they could find themselves out of a playoff position. Not much room for error.

The game last night was too close for comfort.

30. Arrow77 says:

We’re simply not good in defense this year, which is why we get caught anytime we have to protect a lead. We’re missing a true shutdown pair like we had when Gorges and Gill were together.

31. OMG says:

Moving on to the Florida Panthers. We should win that one and Saturday is gonna be a barn burner against Philly. possible 6-points this week.

32. HabFab says:

PK was directly involved in all 3 Hab goals.

On the other hand, he was chasing the puck and or players all night in the defensive zone removing himself from positional zone coverage. This is his weakness that gets him in doggie do with the coaches. When he is doing this, you will notice him skate into the picture as the puck is being covered by the goaltender or being removed from the net. Like us all, a work in progress.

I have it on good authority that one of our senior statesmen here is celebrating a birthday day.

Happy Birthday Ian Cobb! CHeers to you my friend, enjoy the day. :)

34. Chris says:

My last two cents (or perhaps five cents, now):

Max Pacioretty should not be playing with Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Pacioretty is in a bit of a funk (I think he rushed back too early), but he’s still the best left wing on the team.

Galchenyuk is not going to get a great deal of ice time under Therrien, so putting Pacioretty with the kids means that we get to see even more plugs.

Ice time from last night for the left wings:

Brandon Prust – 11:42 ES, 1:39 PP, 2:17 SH
    Rene Bourque – 13:09 ES, 4:25 PP, 0:00 SH
    Max Pacioretty – 9:12 ES, 4:08 PP, 0:00 SH
    Travis Moen – 10:59 ES, 0:00 PP, 3:20 SH

Pacioretty got his power play time, which is good. But he should be playing more at even strength than a guy like Prust.

If the message being sent was that the top line of Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole wasn’t producing and they should therefore see an ice-time diminishment, it is hard to argue that Pacioretty wasn’t the guy being singled out. Cole and Desharnais actually saw their ice times go up over their season average.

Pacioretty needs to play. He had flashes last night (his quick move to get off a shot in the first period was a move that few Canadiens forwards could pull off), and he’s one of the few on the team that generates rebounds with his heavy wrist shot.

• Loonie says:

He(Pacioretty) certainly isn’t himself. Last year’s Pacioretty buries the feed that Galchenyuk gives him in the slot during the first period…..this year’s still banged up Pacioretty doesn’t get a clean shot off and misses the net.

I don’t have an issue with that line in particular if they get more ice-time like you suggest, but that line is the only one we have where all three forwards can score from beyond the top of the circles.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, Therrien needs to show more smarts..if he has them. It was a good idea to put Patches with the kids, but, how can they do anything if they aren’t on the ice? It is nice to have a line where each player is dangerous shooting the puck, I do wish they would stop shooting from the low percentage areas of the ice so much like way off to the side. almost beside the net. They have more chance of clearing the puck for the opposition. It sure makes it look like the games aren’t too lopsided on the shot clock, but it is not indicative of actual scoring opportunities.

• Twillingater says:

Galchenyuk should be in Hamilton with more ice time

\”Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing\”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I like Max with the kids. They are arguably the 3 fastest on the team thus can cause a lot of pressure on the opposition. I agree Therrien is too careful with them. It also gives Max a chance to assume a leadership role which he should have.

The Habs are at the quarter pole in the season with 15 points. That works out to 60 for the year. I can’t be bothered to do the math but that point total should keep them in the playoff hunt.

The team finished dead last in 2012 and although they have added five new players none of them are significant. Expectations need to be tempered.

Right now, Diaz, Bourque and Pleks are playing beyond expectations. I would also include Galchenyuk and Gallagher to that list seeing they weren’t even expected to make the team this year.

MaxPac, Cole, Moen and Gorges are playing below expectations. Moen is Moen but the other three have enough talent and experience to bounce back during the next few months. Subban also should move up the charts as he gains more playing time and momentum.

The team hasn’t had any injuries which is something that will inevitably change. There is a bit of depth on the D but not much up front. The team will cross that bridge when the time comes.

If you look at the standings, you’ll notice that things are starting to sort themselves out (in the east). The only huge surprise might be Washington, or maybe Jersey at the other end. Last year, at this point in time, the team had hit an iceberg and was taking on water. It eventually sunk the day Martin was fired.

All in all, I think you have to be pretty happy with the way the team has come out of the gate. Florida is stumbling so there is another opportunity tomorrow to grab a point or two.

A quick comment about Therrien. I wonder if he has some difficulty translating from French to English. I’ve noticed that some of his comments (in English) don’t always come out the way he may have intended them to do.

• Chris says:

I’ve wondered the same thing about Therrien’s French – English translation. Heaven knows it isn’t terribly easy for most of us not named Bugs.

But I think some of it is simply his personality…he’s fiery and “old-school”. I don’t think that resonates with players in today’s NHL. Therrien’s reputation around the league is not stellar.

Just as there are players out there like Gill who didn’t like Therrien, a player like Crosby speaks glowingly about everything MT did for that young Pittsburgh team.

I am not claiming MT is great or well adored, but many coaches in this league have their share of detractors.

• Loonie says:

That’s fair to Therrien. But at the same time during the Pens loss to the Red Wings in the Cup Finals Crosby was caught on camera rolling his eyes at comments Therrien was making to him on the bench.

Either it was an isolated incident or Crosby was just being a nice guy in his comments.

• Habfan17 says:

Crosby is a very good politician. His folks taught him well, not to burn any bridges. Who knows what may come back to bite you in the future

• Chris says:

I’m more concerned about the players that haven’t played for Therrien than the Penguins superstars that we’re never going to get.

Therrien has a terrible reputation around the league as a tyrant who will drag his players through the mud in front of the media. Nobody likes playing for that kid of coach.

Tortorella does the same thing, and he can get the stars because of the Rangers willingness to sign big contracts. But nobody takes a discount to play with the Rangers.

Ron Wilson and Randy Carlyle are cut from the same cloth, but Wilson at least has a long track record of success to point to and Carlyle has a Stanley Cup.

Still, the Leafs had money the past few years and most of the free agents were not even remotely interested unless the Leafs overpaid them.

At the end of the day, it probably won’t be much of a point because I would be a bit shocked if Therrien is here through the end of next season. I just can’t see his techniques resonating for that long.

• nek25plus says:

Therrien being named coach made my stomach turn, that being said I thought…maybe he’s learned something valuable along the way. Like coaching in a new era. Through out last nights game it looked like the team was going thru the motions. There was no spark, energy or emotion from any of the players. On the ice or on the bench. No laughing, no chatting…no levity at all. That worries me.

• wjc says:

You know about Therrien’s reputation around the league, how?

Fiery ‘old school, as apposed to non fiery ‘new school’.

You don’t think he resonates with today’s players? Please offer up your evidence on this, and name, names….Chris.

Who have you discussed Therrien’s reputation with throughout the league and please do not mention other ‘fans’.

wjc

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Therrien’s English is obviously not very good so you have to be careful not to take everything he says literally. I prefer to hear his comments in French to really understand what he is trying to say.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Trouble is he talks to the team in English. At least I hope that’s the case.

• HabFanSince72 says:

15 points in 12 games works out to 102.5 points in an 82 game season, safely in the playoffs.

The big difference so far is the lack of injuries. We were the most injured team in the league lat year. This year we’ve lost something like 4 man games to injury.

I would say we are back to where we should have been last year – a team that is in the top half of the league but not in the top quarter.

36. Marc10 says:

I’m going to enjoy watching TB implode. Their goalie is an arts and crafts project. Unless he finds his inner Lundquist, they have no chance.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Vinny’s contract is killing TB. Yzerman can’t make any real moves (e.g., Luongo) becuase of it. Next year will only get worse with the cap going down.

37. Sportfan says:

As annoying as that game went in the end we still won and thats what is important is winning!

38. HabsFanInTampa says:

What is this “L’antichambre” I keep hearing about? Is it a TV program on a French channel? Is it also in English and, if so, what channel?

• Cal says:

RDS after the game.
      It’s a panel of former coaches and players trying to be entertaining by saying wild things. The leader of the crazy talk is Michel Bergeron. He’s hysterical, but many here take him seriously.

• Habfan17 says:

RDS is the French arm of TSN. Motly it is a bunch of ex coaches and players knocking the Habs. It is pretty funny. I always think to myself, if you were that knowledgable, a team would have signed you. Occasionally they do get a panleist that makes sense, but then the others just drwon him out!

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

As someone posted last year, it is like “The View” but with more crying … but mostly entertaining and sometimes spot on.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

39. HABZ24 says:

That hedman goal wasnt legal it turned the tide for tampex bay.also the bite goes by no call,cant get a fricken break.we need to play hard azz defensive hockey in the 3 rd with a lead insted of taking chances.

GO HABS GO

40. HabFab says:

Bulldogs win 3-2 last night without Bournival, Quailer, St Denis and Tinordi, all injured and listed day to day from weekend play.

41. 123456 says:

I thought the first star HAD to be the SO winner? According to the Habs post game summary emaile dto me it was Hedman.

Habs outshot TB in the third and grossly outshot them in the OT – I do not think the Habs played poorly in the Third – just a couple bad breaks…. and arguable a goal the should NOT have counted.

Take the two points and run boys – there is another game to get ready for.

42. Loonie says:

Some thoughts……

The Habs weren’t bad defensively late last night, they were unlucky. A floating puck goes in off of Hedman’s glove and a point shot re-directs off of both defensemen and into the net.

PK Subban created the third goal with a fantastic play. He won a possession battle against St. Louis, out skated him while protecting the puck and brought it up the ice on the rush. It’s early, but he’s playing every bit of the elite level hockey that’s going to get him paid like a superstar in a couple of years or less.

How many teams play one of their top three forwards on their fourth line? I’m asking because since the Habs were beaten up on by the Senators seven short games ago, Lars Eller has at worst been their third best forward, and it isn’t a stretch to say he’s been as good as Plekanec during that time.

Therrien’s taking a lot of heat again this morning I see, but Guy Boucher is a blow hard or if you prefer, what it seems Therrien used to be. And how bout that shootout lineup from Boucher? How can he justify any shootout lineup other than Lecavalier, St. Louis and Stamkos? Good thing he isn’t coaching in this market.

Jarmo Kekalainen will make the Blue Jackets an elite team.

• Habfan17 says:

The problem is Therrien made his predeterminations on Eller and Subban when he was on L’anitchambre and have no basis on the players themselves.

So far the only change I see in Therrien is that he doesn’t explode on the bench and in the post game interviews like he did. He still does not seem to get it as a coach.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Therrien’s favoritism will cost this team a playoff spot. Taking too long to give Eller a fair shot, to have White playing regularly over Armstrong and PK playing the minutes we need him playing.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• wjc says:

Steeltown, this is just your opinion, Looks to me like Eller Subban and Armstrong are improving and White has to learn to pick his spots.

Coach is never going to make all the moves you agree with, and that could be a good thing.
        wjc

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

At least Jarmo won’t draft two goalies after signing one…that was ridiculous. The next draft, with 3 #1’s, will be critical for the franchise.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Nothings worse than the islanders drafting all dmen last year.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Wasn’t there a rumour that the Isles offered all their picks to Colombus for their #2 pick? If that was true, Howson should have been fired for not making that deal.

• wjc says:

ddo, if you think you should give up a 2nd round choice, then you would have traded Galchenuk last year for the same offer, shame, shame.

Hang your head in shame.

wjc

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Please do not put words in my mouth. I never said I would trade Galchenyuk. I was talking about Columbus’s moves not the Habs. Columbus drafted a defenceman, Ryan Murray with the 2nd pick. There were plenty of good defenceman in the draft. The Isles drafted Griffin Reinhart who is arguably (we won’t know for years) as good with the 4th pick. If you’re going to draft a defenceman with the second pick, why not move down 2 spots, get a ton of picks, and draft basically the same player? On the other hand, I would never trade Galchenyuk because I would not be getting a similar player back.

“Hang your head in shame”?… I think you should take this site less seriously. We’re all just having fun here…

43. Twillingater says:

Price saves the day (well, last night). I expect Carey’s agent to ask for a trade within a couple of years if this type of team continues.

Michel Therrien is just a band aid till the dressing goes on. He is not using his players properly & three losses have directly been because of this.

There is more dead wood on this team than on the sunken Titanic. MB has to move that said wood in the off season or before works for me.

\”Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing\”

• Clay says:

What’s with you “Carey will ask for a trade” people? I think he likes playing here, and he is less of a whinging b**ch than you give him credit for. If not, and if he doesn’t like it here, then by all means he should leave.

__________________________
      ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• boing007 says:

Bring up Blunden to play with Eller and Moen?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

44. RiverviewCanadien says:

Price revealed at the beginning of the season, that he wanted to be better in the shoot-out. That kid is smart and knows what he has to work on to be successful, I am glad he is back there in the Habs crease.

He stopped all 3 of ‘em last night, that is a great start.

Good on ya Carey!

45. Steeltown Hab says:

Therrien doesn’t have a f’ing clue.

7 players with more TOI than Subban. Whose really done nothing but play well. Add to that he wasn’t used on the PP in OT at all.

Hedmans first goal (the legitimate one), Desharnais completely blows his coverage (seen that before). Can we finally move on, 2 pts from Eller playing with garbage. Watch the game and tell me that guy isn’t just a flat out better player than 51.

Pacioretty 13:20 even, Gallagher 10:41 even, Eller 13:02 +1 (+2 minus for the hedman punch in). Only minus players ln, DD, Cole, Prust.

No accountability for anyone not named Subban, White or Eller.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habfan17 says:

Therrien made his player decisions while he was on L’antichabre last season and it sure looks like he is clueless. The only change is that he doesn’t blow up all the time now.

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

YOU obviously don’t have a clue if you are blaming Desharnais for that first goal which PK CAUSED with NOT ONE but 2 (two) terrible decisions. Regardless of what happened the rest of the game, that was clear. I hereby award you the title of fanboy.

• boing007 says:

Maybe MT realizes that MaxPac isn’t in game shape yet and wants to slowly insert him back into the mix?

Richard R
      Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

46. HabFanSince72 says:

On a related note. What happened to Tampa? Weren’t they conference leaders a week ago? They were absolutely awful. Their powerplay which runs 50% at home was hopeless. They didn’t seem to be trying. Their keeper flopped around like a Swedish herring in a jar of brine. That dumb fight.

Even in the shootout their superstars barely seemed involved.

47. NL Hab says:

I find it so funny reading all of the criticism about the game. Yes, they had a 3 goal lead and blew it. You can’t analyze every shift, every period and every game in this shotgun season. The main thing is that we got the 2 points. Period. This game is done and out of the players mind and they are now thinking about Florida. The Habs are going to have many more highs and lows throughout this season and if the GM was reading these comments, the whole team would either be in Hamilton or traded by now. Everyone has to take a deep breath, and relax. We still have 36 games to go.

Et Le But

• OMG says:

Blow a 3-goal lead in the playoffs and you don’t get to go to a shootout where you can get lucky. maybe now you’ll understand the criticism.

• The Jackal says:

You’re missing the point. The blown lead as a total fluke, as it was in the Buffalo game too. A BS penalty that should NOT have been a penalty, and a ridiculous fluke goal that probably should not have counted. These things are out of the hands of the team for the most part. They dominated the game and came out with a W, that’s what matters.

• NL Hab says:

This is not a playoff game, and should not be viewed as one. Players don’t get up for the regular season games the way they do in the playoffs. Fact. This is a good team, and they will make the playoffs. I think we need to get a little tougher on D, and the forwards have to start playing a little better with the lead. Other than that, I am very impressed with this team.

Et Le But

48. Marc10 says:

So many bad goals being allowed this year. First Vanek and now Hedmen… And the goon show and the goalie crashing. Our lightweight lineup and middleweight agitators aren’t built for this.

The solution is to do what Cole did to Hedmen. Hit him repeatedly but refuse to engage. It’s the Steve Ott way and for our Habs, it has to be our way… Sadly.

On D we are royally screwed. We either rush Tinordi or find another Ryan O’Byrne. Other than PK and Yemmy (and they are still on the small side for a Dman in a Brian Burke League), we’ve got nothing to contain the late game crease crashing.

MB strikes me as a realist. He’s seeing the League look away at all manner of dodgy BS. If he follows his moto for winners, he’s going to find a solution. Can’t wait to see it…

Y’en aura pas d’facile!

• CanadienBoy says:

Sure miss that big guy Gill who could not skate ,but he sure look good in front of that net

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If MB can make a move without giving up major prospects and/or draft picks, I think he will do it. But he knows this is not a Stanley Cup contender. He still needs a some time to evaluate what he really has.

• wjc says:

Obstruction rule plays a big part in holding leads. Clutch and grab days are over, overly aggressive can cost you.

Desperate teams just throw caution to the wind and go for it. This is a problem for many teams, holding a lead that is, many examples if you care to look.

Lamenting a just about loss does no good. The Canadiens will be on the golf course this afternoon, relaxing and enjoying the win.

Therien is doing a superb job of handling this team, now relax and go make a snow angel, in the snow.

wjc

49. Habfan10912 says:

New Blue Jacket GM to be named this morning. It’s not Maguire or Burke sadly.

———————————–

• Chris says:

Interesting. Kekäläinen is the Finnish super-scout for the Blues that many give credit to for finding all their good talent. Columbus has been crap at drafting, so hiring a guy who is known for his talent eye will be a good move. He’s going to need a solid Assistant GM to negotiate contracts, though.

When I heard he was likely to be named I figured you and Nickle would like this choice. You guys pointed out a long time ago what a super scout this guy has been.

I heard John Davidson talking about the Jackets 2-3 weeks ago and he mentioned Kekalainen’s name, you could tell he had his eye on this move for awhile. Probably a very good move for Jackets.

Wonder if they might kick tires with MB looking for Eller?

• Chris says:

John Davidson was president of the Blues and knows Kekäläinen very, very well.

Jarmo Kekäläinen, Håkan Andersson and Trevor Timmins are perhaps the three most widely respected talent scouts in the league.

Now I better duck because Hobie and others will be upset with me for naming two Europeans (gasp! the horror!) in a favourable light because I only named one Canadian.

• Loonie says:

It’s a great day for Columbus.

They go from one of the bottom three GMs in hockey to a rising star in my opinion.

• 24 Cups says:

I thought the same thing. Maybe Davidson should have made Kekalainen asst GM in charge of talent and then hired an experienced guy to deal with the day to day operations.

• Chris says:

Maybe Davidson himself is intending to be more hands-on?

• 24 Cups says:

I think that is probably the answer. It also wouldn’t hurt to find a Nill/Nonis type guy to add to the admin team.

I guess the next big question is whether or not the team will try and make the playoffs or just sell off more expiring assets to get more picks for the next few drafts.

• OMG says:

Cal – The two points were great but it was how they got them wasn’t so great. can’t depend on luck all the time. could have just as easily gone to Tampa Bay and I think your comment would have been different.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m tryng to remember the last time a GM was hired without interviewing other candidates….hmm….

• Chris says:

25 teams in the NHL would jump at the chance to snag Kekäläinen. No need to interview anybody else if he’s expressed an interest.

He may flame out, but there aren’t many fresh potential GM faces in the NHL that have earned their shot. This guy is one of them. Andersson is another, but he doesn’t want the job.

And Timmins could very well be the next guy on the list for a team that fires a GM this season.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Just making a Gauthier joke. I have no issues with the move except when it comes to salary and contract management experience. The number one criteria for a GM is talent evaluation which Jarmo has. Their next draft is critical and at least he won’t draft 2 goalies like Howson did last year…

• Chris says:

I have no idea what Howson was up to in that draft.

And now it is looking even worse with Dansk’s horrific struggles in the OHL this season.

A team that can’t score drafts a defenceman and two goalies with its first two picks. Mind-boggling, when you factor in that they gave up a second round pick and two fourth round picks for another relatively young and promising goaltender in Bobrovsky.

50. Cal says:

Habs are 7-4-1 and many here acting like the Habs are 1-4-7.
    Lighten up! 2 points in Florida with a chance for 2 more tomorrow night.

• Habfan10912 says:

That’s true Cal but man this blowing lead thing is not good.

———————————–

• wjc says:

Don’t look at it as blowing a lead. Look at it as scoring your goals at a different time. If Montreal gets their goals at the end everyone is happy.

Canadiens scored in the shoot out and Price stopped all the shots he faced in the shootout.

If Canadiens allow the goal in the shoot out and Tampa goaly shuts out the habs, then it said they blew it in overtime.

You lose 6-0 you cry, you win 4-3 you cry. No wonder everyone looks at Habs fans as ‘cry babies’. boo hoo, boo hoo.

Cry when you lose, cry when you win…….geez!

wjc

• Habfan17 says:

Problem is, that record is not indicative of the team. It is not a question of lightening up, it is a question of seeing things for what they really are. I am glad that they are winning more than losing, but they are an average team right now. Their schedule was one of the easiest to start the seaon. The concern is that people stop thinking they need to make changes and get better, they think all is right and they can contend for the cup. The Bruins did not bring their A game, Toronto is not a top team, but they are playing as a team and with a system for the whole 60 minutes.

We can make excuses like therrien needs time to get his system in place, but the Leafs, like it or not, had the same challenges. A lot of new faces and a new system since Burkie was let go and Nonis took over.

The Habs are a work in progress. Making the playoffs will be a bonus but not true indication that the team is a true contender. This “anything can happen once your in the playoffs” attitude sucks. I want the Habs going in with people saying they have what it takes to go all the way, consistently.

• Cal says:

“they are an average team right now”.
        Last season, the Habs were the 3rd worst in the league. Like I said earlier, lighten up.
        The team is a work in progress, especially when 3 players who over-achieved last season have fallen to earth with a thud. Habs management can’t just wave a wand and all the poor playing habits from last season disappear. Habs are going to take the time needed to improve and they will be better for it.

• wjc says:

It is comments like these (hab17) that make me wish the lock out had of continued. You are miserable and having hockey did not cheer you up.

Yes, you need to lighten up, for your own sake, this is not healthy to so obsessed with a hockey team. Like do you ever think of anything else. Do you ever watch a game and actually enjoy it, or is there always something that annoys you.

You need to make yourself a work in progress, improve your outlook. This negative, gloom and doom is not good for you. You need to practice good feelings and enjoyment

Maybe you could learn to meditate and be happy.

The players and everyone in hockey is ‘rich’ and happy and probably getting ready for a few rounds of golf in the nice weather. Maybe the snow and lack of sun has got you down.

I pity anyone that has to be around you, I say this for your own good.

Peace brother.

wjc

51. Habfan10912 says:

Warning. Please finish your breakfast before watching this.

———————————–

Looking at the Eastern Standings, I have to admit I am surprised to see 4 teams from the Habs division in the Top 8. Also wouldn’t have pegged Buffalo as the redheaded step child at this point.

Fully expected to see teams from Atlantic division dominating, but perhaps they are just beating each other up. The SouthEast division appears to be very weak again.

By the way, just hate those divisional names. I miss the days of our beloved Adams Division.

• Habfan10912 says:

Phoenix and Boston hockey fans thought Adams was one of their Presidents. Probably easier this way then have to explain it all the time.

———————————–

53. Bash says:

The fourth line played well? Not exactly… Eller played well and that really helped those two speedsters on his wings.

PK benched for that glaring mistake? As someone pointed out in another post we will soon have no one on the ice with that coaching strategy.

When it counted Price was the man!

Galchenyuk Cole Pacioretty
    Eller Gallager Prust
    Pleks Bourque Gionta
    DD Moen White

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Habfan10912 says:

Maybe its just me but I sense a bias from MT when it comes to PK and Eller and it’s beginning to piss me off a bit especially since PK is our most talented player, sans Price, and many nights Eller has been one of our best forwards, Must be they are both not very good in the room. (insert sarcasm icon)

———————————–

• Cal says:

PK was on the ice for 2 goals. The 2nd with about 1:47 left.
      Where is this “benching” I keep reading about on this site? WTH are people watching?

• Habfan10912 says:

PK time on ice was 18:25. Only defenseman with less was Frankie B with 17:13. That doesn’t make any sense to me.

———————————–

• Chris says:

Subban got one shift at the very end of OT. I believe that is what has most people so upset, and rightfully so.

Subban is at his best when there is ice to manoeuvre in.

• Cal says:

When you’re on for 2 goals late in the game, and especially after that first one, I’m not surprised he doesn’t play in OT. Like many young players, PK lost focus and it cost the team. Chalk it up as yet another learning experience.

• Steeltown Hab says:

DD blew coverage hard on the first hedman goal and got 3 shifts in OT. The second hedman goal was punched in, wouldn’t blame PK or anyone on the ice for that.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

54. secretdragonfly says:

My rant – I’ve watched replays of Hedman’s second goal several times and it was clearly interference on Carey. A serious question – are officials not held accountable for non- and blown calls? Is there a protocol where they are shown video of obvious and blatant errors and are asked to explain? In the real world, if you were to have such lapses in judgment, you’d be called to account by your employer. If that second goal had been called correctly, the whole momentum of the game would have changed, Pleks wouldn’t have taken that stupid penalty, Tampa wouldn’t have tied it up and the boys would have walked away with a real win.

Whew, that’s better, thanks for listening.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Secret! Agree! It seems the goalie interference calls are being called for all goalies except Price. A point of emphasis for most.
      At the risk of catching the wrath of Chris I’ll pass on the whole momentum thing. :)

———————————–

• Chris says:

Montreal has scored numerous goals this season on that same play. Forwards are generally allowed to drive the net and even cause incidental contact with the goaltender if it is a tip-in attempt.

The only reason to call that one off was if it was his glove that knocked the puck into the net. I’m inclined to believe it hit his glove, but the numerous replays I saw last night were inconclusive so the call on the ice has to stand.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’ve spoken to NHL refs, and apparently, they are shown mistakes, and the mistakes are broken down for them in great and embarassing detail. Even the better refs will blow calls (and then there is the mysterious Chris Lee – Kerry Fraser for the new millenium) and they can’t just be magically replaced when they make mistakes. There seems an honest attempt to minimize mistakes. My sense is that the critique after the game can be tougher than the game itself for them.
      Some kind of video seems necessary, but what about the flow of the game?
      I didn’t like the second goal, but it was not blatant to me. A goal like that bites like Grabowski, but it was a judgement call for sure. If it happened in a game between the Wild and the Blue jackets, I would not have gotten excited. It was a borderline goal, and a tie goes to the runner. I was hoping they’d disallow it, but that was my fandom, not my eyes.
      I’m not trying to be an apologist for the refs (although as an ex- baseball umpire (recreational) I have a sympathy for their role someone who hasn’t tried to keep a game smooth and respectful of rules might not).
      Refs and umpires are human, and they are hated by fans of every sport. I’d like to see the same rules called all game long for all teams, and as a TV watching fan I think there are dodgy stories upstairs in Toronto when it comes to the officiating culture they favour. But if a call is borderline…

55. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Last night was a win that felt like a loss. Funny, Rangers and Hab’s both with 3-0 leads in the third period both blow it only to win in shootouts.

———————————–

56. gehedan3 says:

This was a scarey win. What I’ve noticed in the 3rd period is what I saw alot of last season. 3 forwards come out of their end with the puck…as the puck carrier crosses the red line his teammates go off for a change and he is left dumping the puck into their end and basically turning over the puck. SImilar to their loss to the Sabres. If Therrein doesn’t see this and fix it we’re in trouble. They didn’t play this way the first 8-9 games.

What is going on with Pac. He looks lathargic, little energy…something’s going on with him.
    And winning faceoffs has been pathetic this year. Comon boys, don’t fall back into last seasons play

57. Mad Habber says:

Who was the the third shooter going to be? Hopefully Eller will get a chance one of these times. Hard to blame Price for his shoot out record last season as a win usually meant 5 or 6 saves without allowing a goal.

• Chris says:

Price has been excellent, so we don’t need to resort to hyperbole.

Price never gave them a chance to get to the 5th or 6th shooter. He had one of the lower save percentages in shootouts in the NHL. It just wasn’t his year last year. It happens.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, I hope so, didn’t he score a beauty in the shootout last season?

Habfan17

If the game accomplished it at least got rid of that 6-0 scoreboard that was on this website since Sat. night.

For that I am very thankful.

W = 2points

59. adamkennelly says:

blowing leads like this team does all the time is a sign of coaching and conditioning, which is related to size. our D is just too small and frankly not good enough – get pounded and wear out.

60. Habitant in Surrey says:

…only one game so far into this very short season when We were blown-out …I mean We had no chance to win …that 6-0 against the Weeds

…and, I guess, that may be colouring Our thoughts

…if We step back, and think realistically, They have been an above average Team so far …with a winning record

…how long it will be a winning record I can’t say …They can go either way …They are a fragile Team, that may wind up playing above Their heads …or like last year fall apart

…one part of My thoughts hope We can somehow wrangle another blue-blood draft choice like Galchenyuk if They do the latter, but the other side of My thoughts want Them to set the League on fire with flashes of what They hinted at in the first few games, and would make Me very happy too

…though there are those past their best before dates and others that are only kids, it would be a really good story if They can light a fire in Their hearts to overcome the odds

…right now I am more concerned about the Coaching rather than Our Players …too many questionable strategic choices by Therrien in recent games, and JJ’s coaching of the defense seems from My vantage point to be too passive

…hopefully that will be soon addressed

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks HiS. You described my dilemma perfectly when you talked about the internal argument of “blueblood” vs victory. I guess that’s life as a fan of a bubble team. Once the games begin I’m all in though.
      My biggest beef with MT is his use of PK and Eller. It sure looks to me like MY has a bug up his behind when it comes to these two. There seems to be a block of some kind when it comes to these two and the new “reward for performance” we expected. Many nights Eller has been our best forward and his ice time does not reflect this. And PK (even if you think Markov is #1) is at least our second best defenceman yet many nights he’s playing minutes comparable to out 5th and 6th dman. Puzzling to say the least.

———————————–

• gehedan3 says:

WHile Eller has played better since his benching, he’s still not a top 6 forward. He’s turning the puck over less lately but he’s no scorer or setup man. And has to be one of the softest players that’s easily knocked off his skates. Into 3 seasons no coach has yet to find linemates that he clicks with (mainly because hehas little peripheral vision). I think he’ll be traded before the end of season.

• Chris says:

I would argue that the fact that his linemates have stone hands is a pretty big impediment as well for a playmaking centre.

His peripheral vision is fine. He just rarely has anybody in the right position to pass to. Last night, he made some nice moves along the blue line while waiting for his slower linemates to get into the zone and get into a position to either chase the puck into the corner or receive a pass. What is a guy to do when the defence has precious seconds to close on him while he waits for the plugs to catch up?

• Habfan17 says:

You obviously don’t watch him much. he is very good at setting his line mates up He is creative and can score. The proble is the players he has been put with. It is hard to be a set up guy when the guys you have to pass to have cement hands and very little hockey sense. They may be good at going up and down the wing,but they have no anticipation and little scoring ability!

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, they have had a winning record, with one, if not the easiest schedule to start the season and against weaker teams. That does not make them above average. Take into account the new Mantra ” no Excuses” the fact they wanted to prove they aren’t as bad as last season and the new management and coaching. That went more to the good start than being above average. Now they are being exposed for the team they really are, average. They have some core players and strong pieces coming in, but are not there yet.

I find it odd that no one wants to say rebuilding when they talk about the Habs, but it is okay with Ottawa. They are doing well, keep saying they are rebuilding, and they hav a positive coach who takes no guff, teaches and has a sound system.

61. Chris says:

Just a note on ice time.

Even strength:

Tomas Plekanec – 14:52 (season average – 13:59)
    David Desharnais – 13:44 (13:12)
    Lars Eller – 9:24 (10:35)
    Alex Galchenyuk – 8:44 (9:58)

On the powerplay:

Tomas Plekanec – 4:32 (3:23)
    David Desharnais – 4:15 (3:15)
    Alex Galchenyuk – 2:46 (2:07)
    Lars Eller – 0:58 (1:01)

Short-handed:

Lars Eller – 2:40 (1:53)
    Tomas Plekanec – 2:04 (3:05)
    David Desharnais – 0:00 (0:19)
    Alex Galchenyuk – 0:00 (0:00)

Despite his fine play over the past couple of weeks and despite being once again one of the team’s top two centres, Eller has not seen any bump whatsoever for his average even-strength and power play ice time.

It has nothing to do with Desharnais or Galchenyuk at this point, although both were largely catatonic once again throughout the game. Eller simply isn’t Therrien’s guy.

Why they continue to insist on throwing Galchenyuk out on power plays as a centre is beyond me…the kid can’t win faceoffs right now. So it is pretty much an automatic clearance whenever they put Galchenyuk out on an offensive zone faceoff. Crap coaching.

Got to feel for Subban. Yes, he made a mistake. But holy crap…Markov has made far more mistakes over the past week that should have landed him on the bench my Therrien standards, yet if a younger guy (Subban, Eller) not handing Therrien apples makes one their ice time is cut? Crap coaching.

The team’s lack of discipline is becoming a huge issue. The refs have got their number, at this point…Bouillon took an idiotic penalty for the Price bumping, but then again he did EXACTLY what many in the Commentariat want the defencemen to do.

Worse was the second period scrum penalty that Prust took. Prust is taking more than his fair share of these “only guy to go” penalties, yet he’s been bailed out from Whitedom by the penalty kill. That won’t last.

62. Habfan17 says:

I was happy to see Eller pick up some points. He has worked hard and is doing well. DD did much better on the faceoffs, even if a couple of wins were against wingers. I still think h should be moved, but it was nice to see him score on the shoot out.

Overall the Habs played better, it is their finish that really bothers me. No not the last 6 minutes, that hurts too, it is the way the shot wide so much and this crap of shooting from near impossible spots. These one timers from that spot way off to the side. They have more chance of clearing the puck for the other team on those shots than score a goal. I guess it ramps up the shots on goal, but they are extremely low percentage shots.

Why not take a little off the shot like other teams and shoot from out in front of the net where a couple of things can happen, the goalie is screened and it goes in, a team mate can tip it, or it can hit a player and go in. Between the shots wide and these low percentage shots, it is no wonder they don’t score more!

I don’t remember who passed the puck up to Pleks, but it was a great stretch pass, set him free, he had time, and he shot it way wide!!

I don’t want to be negative and am happy they won. I just think they could be nuch better and need to stop shooting form the outsdie from near impossible angles just so they can say they got shots. Go to the dirty areas, drive the net and shoot from better percentage areas on the ice!

So much for the Patches and two Gally line. Hopefully they will stay together against the Panthers and will play better. One game is not enough to judge. They just did not have a great game. Gallagher started out well, but Patches and Galchenyuk seemed off all game.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning 17. I just wanted to weight in on your shooting from bad angle point. You could not be more right but I think it’s become a league wide thing. Several time in every games I see the dman at the blue line purposely skate to a poor angle before shooting. Players seem to be drawn to the boards and corners. Outside of a PK or two it seems the dman have limited puck handling skill and just take what the opponent gives them. Makes for some boring hockey though.

———————————–

• Habfan17 says:

Morning Habfan10912 – Thanks. I know guys like Stmakos have some success with this catching goalies by surprise with his quick accurate shots, but it still baffles me that teams take these low percentage shots so much.

63. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The habs played 54 minutes of a decent road game – dull and effective. Then, there was the PK breakdown, and a Pleks breakdown, and with a few bounces, it went Jacques Martin on us. A lot of teams’ fans would shrug and talk bounces, but since we had the trauma of last season, we have posters seeing the game like it’s live in slow motion instead of rapid and scrambly.
    It was ugly, it was boring and it was a win. We almost saw a Jerseying of the Lightning, except that brains jammed at the end and stuff happened.
    It’s Florida. Maybe they can all go for a swim, and Bergevin can find and sign a grouchy manatee to play on defence.

64. WindsorHab-10 says:

This game had no business going into ot or shootout. Hedman’s 2nd goal should not have counted, I don’t know what they were looking at in Toronto. What was Boullion thinking when Tampa got called for goalie interference? He needs to control his emotions. To someone that didn’t watch the game, it appears like the Habs were lucky to win. To those that watched, Tampa was never in the game and the final score should have been no worse than 3-1. Live & learn.

65. Man Dingga says:

For two periods we played solid hockey. The third period we sat back and let them come at us. For the entire period I thought we were in a time warp and Jacque Martin was the coach again. WTF! Thankfully Carey kept us in it. Oh and by the way those goals aren’t on him, I don’t know what game some people were watching. Where is Hall Gill when you need him. The Cube and Emelin were brutal tonight. Aside from solid hits Emelin isn’t useful. Maybe its just me. The Cube is just aweful there is no other way to describe him.

• Captain aHab says:

For the first two periods, the D-Men would often not go behind their net to start the play thereby making a forecheck much more difficult. Where this team constantly gets in trouble is when the d-men go back in the zone deep behind their net and allow a 2-man forecheck on them.

They did it constantly last year and kept losing leads. No amount of me yelling at the screen could stop it either. It’s still not working this year.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

66. Dunboyne Mike says:

Missed the game, watched the highlights. Apart from the improvements in some areas and then the late lapse, this is what jumps out at you:

1) TB forwards skating at Price at speed, colliding.
    2) Refs don’t mind.
    3) Opposing coach apparently willing to risk occasional penalty.
    4) Habs Dmen can’t stop it…
    5)… nor do they punish fwds so they think twice about doing it.

Watching those highlights, what you’d conclude is:

1) Price will get injured.
    2) We must trade for a couple of ox defensemen…
    3) …and maybe a more solid back-up because in light of 1), the back-up could end up the starter.
    4) Bring in Ron Hextall as goalie coach?!

67. Born in a Bad Year says:

I was pretty excited when the season started, new coaches, new styles of play. Finally we were moving our point shooters so their sticks were inside, making the cross ice passes quicker tape to tape. Six out of the first ten powerplay goals were scored when our defence had switched sides. Things changed after Diaz was on his off side and flubbed the puck to Vanek for a shorthanded goal. When they stopped switching sides, our scoring on the powerplay slowed to a crawl. Since then we have only scored with the man advantage three times, and two of those were five on threes.

They need to go back to what worked. Boone, please pass the comments on to the coaches.

68. Marc10 says:

Thanks Boone. After reading this, I feel much better about this almost choke. Oops!

I’ll go back to channeling Jacques Demers to keep the good vibes going…

• savethepuck says:

Watch Canadians Express on RDS, or PVR it if you can at 9:30 EDT and I’m sure you will get a true view of the hockey game tonight. I am totally perplexed about where these opinions are coming from.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

69. savethepuck says:

Holy crap. Glad I watched the game myself, because reading that along with all the comments in the last 2 hours, I would think the Habs sucked tonight and were very lucky to walk away with 2 pts. Habs played a great game in Florida, which in the past is not the norm for them. With a 3-0 lead late in the 3rd, PK coughed up a puck at their blueline and to recover, he made a misguided check to compensate, and missed it. That left a man wide open for TB’s first goal. PK is easily 1 of my top 3 Habs, but he was benched because of that sequence of plays. It’s not him being capped on, it’s him being coached to hopefully not do that again. It wasn’t 1 mistake, it was 2 on the same play. What ensued was a BS 2nd goal that went off of a player’s glove which was close to the crossbar ( personally think it was directed in, but the room in Toronto didn’t agree for some reason ). The tying goal was absolute BS luck that bounced off of 2 of the Habs D’s skates to tie the game. I don’t know why I get so upset at the ridiculous negativity here, but I do. The better team won the hockey game tonight and TB was very lucky to escape with a point.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Trisomy 21 says:

Thanks for filling me in on the PK debacle, I missed that play and wondered why he was benched.

• Habitforming says:

He got benched because MT has no clue. 1 mistake on a play for a goal against and he gets benched? Why wasn’t the Cube benched for his stupid penalty? or maybe DD for blowing his check on the TB centre and then missing his check on a 6’7″ Hedman going to the net for goal #2.

It was nice to see DD not get pushed off the puck in the shootout though.

• wjc says:

Savethe puck, you and I saw the same game, I thought Montreal played great. Montreal got lucky on a couple of goals and so did Tampa, evened out.

wjc

• Steve C. says:

Since the game has been over for quite a few hours now, I can see now how you’re right and that many of us here have exaggerated. I imagine that these feelings are attributed to three straight losses: two in which the Canadiens played well but came up short, and a stinker to the hated Maple Leafs.

I think what’s happening is that there’s been so much crap for fans to deal with in the last 20 years or so that we think that in some way, somehow, the Canadiens are going to manage to mess up their best assets and prospects. Players like Subban, Price, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty…it would be so sad to lose any of those players, or to have them move on and have better careers elsewhere. The first three names that come to my mind are LeClair, Roy, and Chelios (even though the Cup was won by Montreal after he was traded). Even Tomas Plekanec is so valuable and underrated. It would not be good to lose him before he peaks. Anyway, good post. It’s important to have different perspectives.

• Habfan17 says:

Nice post, just to put some perspective on things, it was Demers who ruined LeCalair in Montreal. This from watching LeClair in an interview when he was asked in Philly why he didn’t do well in MTl, His answer was basically, ” I started a game on the first lne, made a mistake, ended up o the 4th line, then sat on the bench, I was bounced all over. How do you get confidence like that. In Philly, I was told the 3 of us would be together for 20 games and it was up to use to make things happen” Makes sense to me!

With Chelios, his off ice antics caused Montreal to trade him. Roy, was hung out to dry by a rookie coach but he did over-react. Then a rookie GM screwed up, he should have taken Roy aside and smoothed things over. Then he should have explained the brds and bees to Tremblay.

I woud like to know when you think Plekanec will peak? He is 30! I agree he is under rated, but he has hit his peak.

• Habitforming says:

” I started a game on the first line, made a mistake, ended up on the 4th line, then sat on the bench, I was bounced all over. How do you get confidence like that.” – Jonh Leclair

Let’s hope that Eller ends differently…. certainly sounds the same.

70. NightRyder says:

Consistently blowing late leads is a telltale sign of a poorly coached team. Ditto a rash of unnecessary penalties. Let’s hope ours does indeed “learn from this.”
    That said, a win’s a win. One more over Florida and it’s 8-4-1 including the bed poopage against the Sabres.
    If you laid out that scenario at the beginning of the year, I’m guessing most would have gladly accepted it.

• The Cat says:

A win is a win and thats the main thing. But I dont like how certain players get absolved of everything… Never mind that he cant steal a game, Price has trouble shutting the door period. Yet the headline at TSN makes it like he was the difference maker. .875 sv % on the night. The blown leads never have anything to do with him. Its the coach, a bad penalty, PK did something stupid etc

• Timo says:

If only we had Halak…

• jedimyrmidon says:

A win is a win and that’s the main thing. But I don’t like how certain factors in the blown lead get ignored by people… Never mind that the ref allowed a garbage goal, but the tying goal caromed in off of 203 guys past a screened Price. Yet you make it out like the refs or Tampa’s luck had nothing to do with the lost lead. Those two factors never play a major role in the outcome for some folks. It’s always on Price.

• The Cat says:

Im sorry but its never on Price, I dont know any media who even mildly criticize him. Feel free to enlighten me. The headline wasnt about DD scoring the SO winner. Its not just tonight, its the blown leads of the past as well.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Cause blaming the last defense is such a cop-out thing to do. Easy to do if you look at stat sheets, but Price doesn’t have the greatest support in front of him. Do you think Anderson would be much better for the Habs? I don’t. He sure as hell wouldn’t be leading the league.

• The Cat says:

You dont know that. One of HIOs favourite chants is always “you think Halak would do better with this bunch?” (last year) Or
            ‘Price would be lights out with the St.Louis defense” Well the reality is when Halak and Price had the same bunch in front of them…Perception isnt reality.

• Trisomy 21 says:

That’s a load of crap, Cat. This isn’t about Price vs Halak, but now I can see where your resentment comes from. Price and Halak both had great years the year they shared duties. look at their stats, they’re very comparable, but let’s disregard that and the fact Price was merely 21. I’d put them side by side today with confidence in Price.

• The Cat says:

Can you read? The point I was making was YOU cant say for sure Goalie X in Montreal would be better than Goalie Y in Ottawa with Goalie Y’s defense.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Yeah you’re right asshole, I can’t read I just sit in a room with a keyboard and type random letters and eventually a sentence that is hockey related forms. Is this all easier for you if I use variables instead of names? Here, I can say that goalie A wouldn’t be any better than goalie P in City M because of the lack of defensive play in front of goalie P in any given night.

• wjc says:

People forget the Montreal third goal, pure luck, but, that’s hockey.

wjc

• Trisomy 21 says:

Can you really fault him on those goals though? I mean a cross-crease pass is a tough save for any goaltender. It’s the defencemen’s job to make sure that pass doesn’t get through or the guy can’t get a shot off. Then 2 pinball shots make it by him, What can you do. I thought up until that he was very good, and I won’t fault him on flukes like the last two.

Edit: I can understand that you don’t like how people blindly defend Price, but can you blame him? He showed up more often than the rest of the team last year and he’s a candidate to be a starter for team Canada for a reason.

• The Cat says:

Of course flukes happen, Im not just talking tonight. I dont hate Price but here at HIO, not saying Price is amazing equals ‘hating on Price’. The fact that he got the 2nd star on RDS says what it says: Perception has become reality.

• Trisomy 21 says:

No, calling out Price for the team’s collapse (even though this has happened consistently and even with Budaj in net) is hating on Price.

• wjc says:

Price was fine, let it go.

wjc

• The Cat says:

This is exactly what I mean, youre overreacting. I didnt call him out for the loss/collapse, or hung it ALL on him. He never shoulders any of the blame but he should. Hes not great at keeping leads, nor has he ever stolen a game. Yet this is morphed into “Youre putting the loss/collapse on him!”

If anything Im jealous of Price, I sure wish I had a bunch of people eager to kiss my ass with a smile on their faces like he does.

• The Cat says:

There arent that many options for Team Canada. Again, Im not saying Price should not be considered, he should be. But so should Luongo and Anderson.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Ward, Fleury, Luongo, Anderson, and Price is a candidate because Canada doesn’t have many options? Good Lord.

• Habfan29 says:

Cat Anderson is American look it up! Then go back into your troll hole with your Halak poster.

• savethepuck says:

Give me a break Cat. Did you even watch the hockey game, or do you just live on stats? He had no chance on the 1st goal but the 2 nd was even worse. A player punched it in close to even height of the crossbar within 2 or 3 ft of the crossbar. The 3 rd goal was a pinball that bounced off the skates of both of the Hab’s DMen. Continue seeing what you want to see, but you are way off base on this criticism. Carey is the last to criticize on this game, and Btw, last I checked, Habs got 2 points when Carey stopped all 3 shootout attempts by the Bolts.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• The Cat says:

If you read, I did mention that Im not just talking about tonight, Im talking whole NHL career. So you cant ever say I just slag Price when he loses. Hes overrated in victory as he is overrated in defeat.

• savethepuck says:

Yes, Carey is in his 6th NHL season at the age of 25, when most goaltenders have barely made the NHL. He takes way too much crap from this fanbase. Yes, TSN and HNIC praise him a lot while they crap on everything Habs, but did you ever think maybe it was because they realized they would look like even bigger idiots if they did that. Fans of this team should be elated they have him instead of hoping he makes a mistake here or there to crap on him.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
            Carey Price

• tagomagotexas says:

i think the difference in perceptions to price are about his traits as a goaltender, rather than statistics, which generally put him in the top-tier among NHL goalies. he’s not what i would say an ‘emotional’ goalie, like theodore, hackett, or even huet. he’s less inclined to make miraculous saves, to move intuitively. he’s a consistent, cool, calm top tier goalie. nothing more, nothing less.

• The Cat says:

Thank you tagomagotexas!

• wjc says:

Hear ye, hear ye! Savethepuck, I have learned that some people are natural born nit pickers.

You and I saw the same great game with both teams getting bounces on goals. That is hockey. Price was fine.

wjc

• The Cat says:

Of course he was fine, but theres a big difference between ‘fine’ and being the 2nd star or TSN making like he was the difference maker.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Looks like he did well for himself in the shootout.

• Seps says:

I have never seen poorer hockey knowledge displayed in a post. Can we use the word idiot to describe someone on this site?

• The Cat says:

“Boston will top Montreal this year easily” -Replies: You have no knowledge, youre an idiot, Boston wont make the playoffs… Result:Boston finished 1st with 35 more points than MTL.

“Give the ball to halak, he’ll roll with it” -Replies: You have no knowledge, youre an idiot. Theres a reason why hes in the ahl…
          Result: ECF

• Habfan17 says:

The real problem is that as a team, they did not make the safe plays and keep the Lightening to the outside and as boring as it is, keep dumping the puck deep in the Lightening zone. If the TEAM stuck to the system, they would have won in regulation.

71. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I PVRed, and just finished watching the game

…if Our Habs played the way They did tonight against the Weeds or Boston, it would have been another 6-0 beat-down

…lucky that the Bolts were mentally still in their cabanas beside the pool

…when it came to the shoot-out, I felt no hope considering St. Louis, Lecavalier, Stamkos, Conacher as likely choices by Boucher

…I couldn’t believe seeing Hedman being the first shooter considering the alternatives …but even St. Louis and Stamkos made it easy for Cary

…We definitely still are struggling relative to how We started the season, but confidence and momentum has to start somewhere

…We have one of the better PKs in the League, yet We are soft as hell in end of game lead protection …that to Me is an indication of poor Coaching as much as soft play by Our Guys

Yes. Very positive win indeed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything more positive.

73. Propwash says:

2 points are 2 points.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

74. Cal says:

Did you not recognize the “Sam I am” argument?

75. ed lopaz says:

Galchenyuk does not have the confidence yet, at the NHL level, to play the point on the power play.

He will be a great player in this league, but giving a 19 year old that type of PP responsibility 15 games into his NHL career is never going to happen.

76. ed lopaz says:

No doubt. When I watch hockey with my kids I tell them to look at the pros skating – forget watching the puck on tv.

77. mrhabby says:

you have a nice day now..mr.positive.

78. Loonie says:

Tinordi was already made an assistant captain in Hamilton
    Beaulieu and Ellis weren’t brought to camp due to a numbers game and Hamilton needing them.
    No scoring wingers because they’re all here and aren’t easily replaced. Pacioretty and Gallagher are with the Habs, Palushaj was picked up off of waivers by the Avalanche and Leblanc has been battling injuries.
    Galchenyuk is a 19 year old rookie who hasn’t been given enough ice-time because it’s going to be a while before he gets comfortable. Remember Stamkos’ rookie season?

79. Kooch7800 says:

well my advice is go actually watch a bulldogs game. tinordi is doing just fine and will be a solid D man in the NHL in 1 to 2 seasons. Beaulieu is an amazing puck mover and I wouldnt’ doubt if he is in the NHL next season. Ellis is also a good puck mover but I still think Beaulieu is better.

Pateryn is just coming back from Injury and will be a solid 4th to 5th D man.

Our D for future looks good. Forwards on the other hand we need scoring help

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

I am with Kooch, after you actually watch them play, would be happy to discuss.

81. Kooch7800 says:

part of the issue is the call on the ice still takes precedent and the video it was conclusive on where it hit if it was the stick or the glove. Chances are it was the glove but it has to be conclusive to overturn the call.

The Ott pushing of the goal shouldn’t have counted either but the war room can’t make the penalty call on the play it can only judge if the puck went in before the end of the clock.
    The Ref was standing right there and crapped the bed.

The refs are absolutely terrible this year and in every game (not just habs games) it is really evident. i think the leagues message on certain calls in being interpreted different and it is awful.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

82. Hobie Hansen says:

Last night was a combination of bad officiating and the stupid new rules that the NHL is trying to institute.

I believe it was Cole that tipped the puck ahead and tried to squeeze between the defenseman and the boards and the TB player was called for interference. I can see what the NHL is trying to do but man oh man is that a tough call. And that call has been going on all year either along the boards or at the blue line. Are the defenseman allowed to do anything anymore?

That was such a charge by Cole on Hedman, I loved it though, or at the minimum interference. Hedmen didn’t have the puck or even touch it at any point.

83. Habfan17 says:

I am in complete agreement. Although I would like to see them add a larger gritty defenceman with this draft and two left wingers too!

I also think Dietz will be a big surprise.

84. Habfan10912 says:

Right on Kooch. I was very impressed with Beaulieu skating and I liked the way Tinordi seemed to enjoy contact and seemed to always be in proper position.

———————————–

85. olematelot says:

That call on Hedman is nothing new, it’s been around since the last lock out. I was at the game and the play happened right in front of me. I think I had my arm up before the ref. Hedman checked Cole when he tried to go by him. Getting in his way to slow him up is ok, checking him isn’t.

86. Kooch7800 says:

Thrower is a big D man who is nasty drafted last year. I am all for pick the best player at the point in the draft. Can never have enough

“Keep your stick on the Ice”