About last night …

159992766_slide
An early season math problem:
If PP-P.K.=5g, how many $$$ for the MIA D?
For the second consecutive game, the Canadiens power play scored goals in 5-on-3 and 5-on-4 situations.
In neither case – nor during any of the man advantages that did not produce goals – was P.K. Subban notable by his absence.
It’s only three games.
But your Montreal Canadiens are doing just fine without their holdout.

For now – and maybe for a while – the pressure is off rookie general manager Marc Bergevin.

Public opinion in Montreal has turned against Subban – largely because the Canadiens are playing solid team hockey under a coach who has done a superb job, so far, of fine-tuning his team.

Example: In the season-opening loss to the Leafs, Tomas Kaberle played 20 minutes, including 6:25 on a power-play that was ineffectual. Against Washington, Kaberle’s ToI was 14:40. His time with a man-advantage was 3:55, and Kaberle was not on for power-play goals scored by Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Markov.

One game was enough for Therrien to realize that Markov and Kaberle were not working as a point combination on the power-play. Enter Raphael Diaz, who came to camp as the Canadiens’ sixth defenceman … and the Swiss sophomore would have been seventh on the depth chart if Subban had showed up.

Diaz played 14:49 against Toronto, 18:06 in the win over Florida and 20:28 against the Capitals. His steady performance at the point and ability to deliver accurate shots toward the net have freed up Markov to become the kind of power-play weapon he was before his knee surgeries. On L’Antichambre, Mario Tremblay compared Diaz to Brian Rafalski.

So credit Therrien 2.0 with running a fluid meritocracy in which ability and hard work are rewarded with ice time.

It took the coach two periods against Toronto to realize that Alex Galchenyuk was not the ideal left winger on the Plekanec-Gionta line. Enter Rene Bourque, whose physical presence and non-stop motor (the latter is something we didn’t see last season) have turned the trio into the team’s best line.

It’s early, but I sense the players are buying into the Therrien system. The Canadiens look happy, cohesive and confident – in contrast to a year ago, when injuries, blown leads and a ceaseless off-ice Gong Show sapped the team’s morale.

A new season – and a revival of the Markov of old – has brought improved special teams. And the 2013 campaign  was two games and almost 58 minutes of a third before the Canadiens surrendered an even-strength goal.

Carey Price was superb again with 30 saves against the Caps. He is being well protected by six defencemen who hit, block shots, clear the zone efficiently and  regularly join the rush.

Markov has been a revelation and Diaz a surprise, but the Canadiens are also getting superb work from Josh Gorges (10 blocked shots through three games), Francis Bouillon and Alexei Emelin, who is blossoming in his pairing with Markov.

Now if P.K. signs  …

That would send Kaberle to the pressbox, where he can keep Lars Eller company.

When New Jersey visits the Bell Centre on Sunday, I wonder if Therrien will be tempted to bring Eller back, sticking him on the fourth line while Ryan White takes an evening off from residency in the penalty box.  If you want to nit-pick at what we’ve seen in two wins, White’s penalties have not been wise and might prove costly against teams more dangerous than Florida and Washington.

Man, the Caps are a mess. Winless in three starts, a woeful D corps, Alex Ovechkin looking lost. We should have known something, apart from Republicans, was rotten in Washington when Dale Hunter decided he preferred London …. Ontario.

The Canadiens lost all four games to the Caps a year ago. They were shut out twice and scored a grand total of three goals.

This season’s Habs pumped four past Michal Neuvirth in 15 minutes. And this despite a top line that is off to a slow start.

David Desharnais, Erik Cole and Max Pacioretty carried the Canadiens last season. It’s early, but they are overdue for a breakout game.

If the lethargy persists, Therrien the tinkerer may be tempted to switch Pacioretty and Bourque, mainly as a way to get Max-Pac off the schneid.

The coach has another decision to make on his third line. Brandon Prust has been terrific, and I like the way he jumped on Matt Hendricks. Brendan Gallagher should be around for a while, but the Canadiens have two more games before they have to make a decision on Alex Galchenyuk.

I think the kid is a can’t miss prospect, and we’ve seen flashes of the talent that’s going to make him a star. But Galchenyuk played 12:33 in Washington. He may need more ToI to develop.

On the other hand, the kid has logged more minutes this season than that guy sitting at home in Toronto.

1. theox_8 says:

Can today please be the day that subban is signed!!

2. FlyAngler says:

Bunn E.

I liked your post too. That said the “attention” piece was weak in my opinion. The same thing could be said about axe murderers and serial killers as they get loads of attention and people write books and make movies about them.
    I like P K and hope that the Habs sign him but he is what he is- and that is a work in progress with the potential to be a masterpiece nothing more, nothing less.
    Value in the hockey business has to be primarily about on ice performance (obviously) and not media attention and publicity. That said if both sides show some flexibility, this can get done.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Thanks Fly. I think Subban is a great hockey player. The media insanity surrounding the Habs has destroyed more than one promising career. The fact that P.K. can not only handle it but likes it makes for a good fit in Montreal. The fact that he can get under the skin of someone like Mike Richards, who I think is the kind of player that wins Stanley cups, is a good thing, not a bad thing.

3. Detritus says:

Sorry If I didn’t see this posted before, I didn’t have time to scan the whole thread.

Anyone have a guess how the media would have reacted to PK doing what Yak did after scoring a goal? Dregger (!) even coming out and saying it’s great to see that enthusiasm!

Garunteed, if that was PK (cough* arrow move *cough) doing something like that, he would be labelled an arrogant POS who needs to learn some respect, and treat the game with some levity. Interesting to think, that in 2013, despite all of our ‘equality’ Yak is praised for doing the exact same thing that PK is eaten alive for.

• Marcusman says:

But he did.. two yrs ago when he scored in overtime to beat Chicago and punch our ticket into the playoffs.. he reached down the ice to his buddy Carey and they did a up in the air bounce and …he fell.

Important thing here is he scores the big goals

• Habby_Haberton says:

Agreed. I don’t get it. I’m starting to think there is some serious racism going on because I remember the huge stink made about Subban’s celebration (which was half as obnoxious.) When Hall did the same thing and now Yakupov’s over the top celebration and all the media guys are okay with it. #Dontgetit #DoubleStandard

4. Loonie says:

All things that have been said about him during these negotiations by numerous people without a shred of evidence to support these fabrications being passed off as statements of fact.

I just want to make it clear right now that it’s truly disgusting that it’s gotten to this level of character assassination.

I wonder how many people in this room would like it if they were accused of sleeping around on their spouse, being a greedy person who can’t get along with others and were immature brats just because they like to have fun when they’re at work.

It’s a complete disgrace that any player would have to endure these attacks without any merit whatsoever.

This is at the point where it isn’t about Subban the hockey player or money or negotiation, he is being attacked as a person and it isn’t right.

Absolutely shameful.

The part about “immature brat just because they like to have fun when they’re at work”
      I am sooo guilty! :)

• The Jackal says:

Agreed.
      It’s ridiculous that people are actually listening to what the egg-heads on TSN, as well as Don Cherry and other know-nothing pundits are saying – they don’t know anything, they are just trying to stir up interest and blow the story up.
      You know what you do know, should you be a Habs/hockey fan? That PK is a great talent, is already a great player, and is a key part of this team. Not only that, but he is a key part of any team, should they be lucky enough to have him. You’d know this if you watched any game in the last 2 seasons. Those who point to his penalties and giveaways (lol) are missing the big pictures, those things will decrease with maturity, but his overall play will get better.

_________________________
      “PK Subban is an integral part of the team, a hard-working player who is extremely talented, and part of any bright future the Habs may strive for.” – Gunnery Captain Obvious & Brigadier General Knowledge.

• Habilis says:

Agreed, good post.

• Bripro says:

If I’m guilty of those accusations, and I’m not saying I am…. so what?
      If I’ve been accused of being greedy, well that’s an insult aimed at me, and you can’t have it!
      As for sleeping around, my 110 lbs wife sleeps diagonal and takes up the whole bed.
      It’s either find another bed to sleep in, or buy another bed for the basement.
      Why bother when I can find another bed for free?
      …..just sayin’.

• Loonie says:

I’m asking how certain people would react if they had their character attacked on multiple levels without foundation. I appreciate some people trying to make light of it all but in my opinion it’s truly sickening how much he’s being persecuted.

• Bripro says:

The thing is Loonie, is that your opinion will vary from others.
          It’s just a given.
          There are the occasional trolls who come on here.
          You’re better to ignore them, because you’ll work yourself up into a tizzy otherwise. And ask yourself, are they worth the aggravation?

• Loonie says:

Yes. My opinion is that people without foundation going out of their way to attack Subban’s character are shameful.

That’s my opinion. And it hasn’t been trolls.

I’m well aware that I disagree with people and they disagree with me, despite what some here say it happens amicably more often than not.

Thanks.

• punkster says:

Hey, HH is no troll…he’s been around for a long, long year, stole many a man’s soul and faith…

No wait, that was that other guy…

***FREE PK!!!***

• citizenSanto says:

… he rode a tank, held a general’s rank …

• punkster says:

Holy crap Santo…this requires further investigation.

***FREE PK!!!***

• Whatever says:

I want him to sign. Based on Bob McKenzie’s statement that
      Subban wants $2.5 million to $3 million more than what the Habs are offering, I think he wants more than what he is worth. If he has poor character affecting the team, he would be traded for that alone regardless of a contract stalemate.

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree Loonie. I am also sick of the mudslinging. PK gives his all on the ice. I can’t recall where he took a shift off. He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

———————————–

• punkster says:

Think back Tom…it’s what Habs fans have done for decades. EOTP pretty well sums it up.

***FREE PK!!!***

• bwoar says:

He’s holding out on a team in a media-landmine, pretty sure that’s just expected behavior on the part of over-saturated fans. Remember fan = fanatic. Honestly I’m sure it bothers him not one bit. Sure is a lot of wasted noise though. Can’t hear it from Toronto anyway.

OTOH, I’m not sure your ‘without a shred of evidence to support these fabrications being passed off as statements of fact’ passes muster though.

Correlation isn’t causality, but some of Subban’s off-ice antics and on-ice behavior are correlated to the things he’s being accused of.

I’d be amazed if one or two teammates weren’t rubbed the wrong way by PK being PK. People deal poorly professionally with the things that make him so much fun as a fan. F–k ‘em, really, because the vets on this team have been mostly pretty garbage without Andrei Markov in the lineup. If he’s a negative presence in the room, it’s probably for these mercenary old buckets trying to act like a rookie owes them some kind of respect, because some vet once told THEM off when THEY were PK’s age.

He does party a bit. It’s documented by him on his own Twitter account. He’s not paying much attention whatsoever to ‘his’ team, it seems like.

The fact that he does nothing but attempt to shoot on the PP is a little selfish, if you ask me. He’s certainly far from being a PP general, let’s say. That’s directly related to his game and not gossip. Again, it’s not hand-in-the-cookie-jar evidence, but not negligible either.

Until Subban gets on the ice, shores a goal and flashes that million-dollar smile, there will be more little arrows aimed in his direction. It just comes with (holding out on) the job.

“thoroughbred”

• Loonie says:

In fairness I would agree that maybe some on-ice stuff rubs guys the wrong way for a moment but at the same time I don’t imagine everybody liked Price crossing his arms after a shootout win, the way Pacioretty antagonized Chara before getting crushed or the way that Kaberle drags ass out there.

Mountains out of mole hills.

• krob1000 says:

Never heard the partying thing, wants too much money…agent may be more to blame there but no figures released, isn’t a team player…sorry Tom that comes directly from things said by his one time mentor and assistant captain Hal Gill and coach Jacques Martin….it isn’t uncommon among young players so I am not sure why it bothers people so much.
      It is ok if PK isn’t the perfect role model..or is a young player that has behaved as young players do……but it is just as wrong for others to strike out at people who have listened to both sides and heard from a number of legit hockey sources (or at least more legit than our fellow posters) that there are issues….again…the team was disfunctional that he joined as a pro and he is a young player…..it isn’t the end of the world …personally I don’t care what he has done…only what he will do…but why there can be no middle ground..and one has to be either be for or against PK and not be able to accept both sides are at fault is confusing. I understand that young guys make mistakes, understand that older guys do too, so does management, so do broadcasters and I know I sure as hell do. I understand that circumstances affect actions and that people can change….as for the hockey…I am 100 percent of the belief he is the 2nd best dman on the Habs the instant he steps into the lineup.
      My son has a signed PK jersey and my other one keeps asking where the heck PK is because that is his favourite player…Pk brought me off the couch more last year than any Hab and I hope he continues to for many years…but that does not mean I have to turn away every time a former teammate, coach or person mentions anything about him.
      He gets way too much media attention…but as someone mentioned earlier…he is a flamboyant personality and a heck of a player….in some respects he thrives under the spotlight…but when under the spotlight…everything shows and it isn’t fair…but is the reality with todays pro athletes.
      I was always bothered by the way Sergei Kostitsyn was attacked in the same way…but noone seemed to stick up for him….the team has a history of this type of stuff with young guys and it may be attributed to the spotlight in Montreal…there isnowhere to run and nowhere to hide, microphones in your face when you are happy or angry….

• HabFanSince72 says:

“how many people in this room would like it if they were accused of sleeping around on their spouse, being a greedy person who can’t get along with others and were immature brats just because they like to have fun when they’re at work.”

1. How many people besides you are in the room you are in?

2. I’d feel terrible if people said those things about me. And they’re all true!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• Habtastic says:

I’ll say this: I never pay attention to the PK is too flashy, mouths off too much, etc., however I do see a lot of room for maturity. Celebrating is one thing and it’s his style, whatever. As pointed out on (hate to say it) Antichambre, Price had the same questions about his attitude and how he approached the game, the team, everything. I’ve seen Price visibly become a more mature player and it has helped him. No need for PK to change who he is, just certain things like playing the system, not pinching when you shouldn’t, not hot dogging cuz the crowd loves it and IMO, saying things like “I just want to get paid what I’m worth.” (I know people are split on that, but it was a soundbite that rubbed me the wrong way in these negotiations and it came right from his mouth.) We NEED to keep PK, so I hope that get sorted out at a middle ground contract, but when he’s back, I’m looking for Therrien to (the better person thing is being taken out of context/meaning) make it so that PK retains his flair, but without putting the team in danger. To address your point, it’s not ridiculous to say certain things about PK’s character that are just obvious. It’s whether they can be directed ever so slightly in the right direction. I really don’t think anyone wants to see him gone, they’re just annoyed with what comes off as “I’m the shit, gimme my money!” comments, which also may well be out of context/meaning.

————–
      The Drive for 25

• junyab says:

“Subban parties, he’s selfish, wants too much money, isn’t a team player, rubs teammates the wrong way and has a negative presence in the locker room.”

Wow, talk about a speculative sentence! You don’t know what he’s asking for and you have no idea what the dressing room’s feelings towards him are towards.

Assumptuous, rumor spreader, opinion follower…speak no more!

Flyers lose another Defenseman, how long till Holmgren is faxing an offer letter to Meehan?

• bel33 says:

Apparently the Flyers have a lot of pucks and a bag or two.
      The Habs have Kaberle.
      There could be something here….

• Habilis says:

The Flyers will be getting desperate soon, and I have no doubt that you’re right about Holmgren having at least kicked the tires with regard to PK. However, I simply can’t see any NHL team overpaying to the point where Montreal would not match.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Couturier, Schenn, and a 2nd for Kabs. Habs may have to add a 3rd to even it out.

• mdp2011 says:

Funny you should ask:

” @JoshRimerHockey: Hearing Flyers have contacted Montreal about PK Subban. Question is would MTL be willing to move him and for what package coming back?

• jmsheehy19 says:

If we deal with the flyers, couturier has to be coming back, and I don’t think they’d be willing to do that so it becomes a moot point.

I could see something with LA where we get Voynov +, but honestly I can’t imagine a realistic scenario in which trading PK makes us better.

• Habilis says:

Right but contacting the Habs and contacting Meehan are two different things.

If we’re talking about moving his rights… then I don’t see Philly as having much to offer the Habs. As has been said numerous times before, if you trade PK, you need to get a PK back.

I am happy to see we have taken the time to continue PK-Gate.

Now more importantly when is Nokelainnen going to be finally cleared to play?

7. Bun E. Laroque says:

1. When the so called “experts” predicted the Habs would not make the playoffs this year I thought they were mistaken and that this team is better than people think.
    2. The ridiculous amount of attention the Subban situation is getting here and in the media is proving what a valuable commodity he is. The guy is a great player and besides that he is perfect for the insane Montreal market. He can handle all the attention and media coverage and even thrive in it. It would be a mistake to trade him. People who bring up chemistry issues have no idea what actually goes on in the dressing room. He will only make this team better.
    3. Price is looking great. He could carry this team pretty far if he keeps playing this way.
    4. Brandon Prust makes this team way better.
    5. Therrien, however sceptical I was when he was hired , has already proven in three games how mediocre our coaching has been the last few years.
    6. I’m looking forward to some decent opponents to see if this team measures up.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I’ve been very impressed with Therrien as well and I was as skeptical as you were but he’s matured since his last stint with the Habs. The team is sticking up for each other and playing as a team which is great to see. I just hope that the Cole, DD Patches line gets going. Cole hasn’t looked that great so far and neither has DD. If we can get both lines going we’ll prove alot of the so called experts wrong this year.

• Loonie says:

That’s the best way to put it. Great post.

If he weren’t that good he wouldn’t be getting this much attention. I really haven’t seen anybody else simplify it that well.

• HardHabits says:

1. Do you mean the skeptics?
      2. Do you mean the media attention? Subban could make the team worse too. Last season he helped lead the Habs to last place in the East.
      3. The operative word here bing “IF”.
      4. Brandon Prust adds grit to the 3rd line. Markov makes the team way better.
      5. So you’re saying that you’re not an “expert”?
      6. As are we all. To see if the “experts” were not just being skeptical.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

1. No, I meant the “experts”
        2. I don’t think Subban was the problem last year. The fact that Subban is comfortable with the extreme media attention is a plus in Montreal, on top of his substantial hockey skills.
        3. Price has been weak at the start of previous seasons, not this year.
        4. Markov is great, no doubt. He has also been on the team for quite a while. Prust is new to the Habs and in my opinion provides more than just grit on the third line. There are intangibles involved.
        5. I’m not on TV.
        6. Aren’t you clever.

8. shiram says:

So much speculation about Subban, not only on his contract demands, be it cash or term, what the Habs are offering, how he is perceived in the locker room and how his team-mates view etc…
    All rumours and nothing factual.
    It’s fun to spitball and share your 2 cents, but based on what we know factually I don’t think it’s fair to attack him or Bergevin.
    It’s an annoying situation, but to me it’s worse having to read the same tired old comments day in and day out.

Stubbs tweeted this recently :
    Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Don’t ask me to respond to rumours, about #Habs @PKSubban1 or anything else. When something happens, it’s a fact. Then we’ll talk.

• BJ says:

Some facts are established. They do not agree on the money and or length of contract,the exact amounts involved are not that relevant. Whats relevant is that he’s not playing for us. Another fact his dressing room presence is not greatly appreciated. I think there have been enough clues to realize that. If a small amount of info gets out of the room it must be more than enough to make its way out and into the public. I enjoy your comments for the most part but I always wonder about why people would read something they do not enjoy. I don’t agree with all the posts here and its fine that there are conflicting opinions (including yours and mine) otherwise what would be the purpose of the blog if we all agreed?

• Loonie says:

“his dressing room presence is not appreciated”

More BS, more trash, more sewage being sprayed onto the page about Subban in the room

Can you name one teammate or coach of his who has said that he’s a negative in the room?

No you can’t, because they haven’t.

I’ve seen posts that Subban’s a party boy, selfish, problem in the room. Nobody seems to have any evidence of it.

This crap is ridiculous.

In my opinion you need a reality check. If you don’t like Subban, that’s your problem. But you don’t need to fabricate or regurgitate fabrications about him to have that opinion.

Grow up.

• BJ says:

I can’t name one but I can name several. Jacques Martin, Guy Carbonneau, And some journalists covering the team on a daily basis. And don’t think because someone is a journalist that he is not privy to dressing room information. I was probably in the Canadiens dressing room hundreds of times as a photographer in the 70’s and 80’s and information is available.

• shiram says:

Believe me I skip over many of the posts on here, but it’s dominating HIO and most Habs media right now in a way that makes it difficult to turn a blind eye to it.
        Dressing room thing has only ever been speculation, and it’s been taken to whole other degree.

• krob1000 says:

many of the “rumours” have come directly out of players or coaches mouths …both players who have played with him and against him. Players who have done neither but obviously talk to other players..people on here aren’t the ones “making things up”. You should send your advise to Aaron Ward, Hal Gill, Don Cherry, Mike Richards, Jacques Martin, Denis Gauthier …JM was his coach and all but revealed that PK is/was perceived poorly by his teammates…that was a disfunctional group however…and a year ago so hoepfully things can be different…but I get mroe frustrated with all of the denial …these are hoceky people saying it…and non hockey people denying it.

• The Jackal says:

Just because apparently a hockey person said it doesn’t mean its true. Hal Gill never said anything but good things about PK, and JM was fired and probably bitter. Aaron Ward is not credible guy, he is a media pundit who is paid to create interest, Mike Richards is a sore loser who does not like a young exuberant guy making him look bad. Denis Gauthier? Don Cherry? Are you serious with these “examples?” You know what everyone who has played with PK would definitely say about him? That he brings it every game, he always comes to play and always puts the effort in.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• derfab says:

Please. With the exception of Richards, who has a similar level and type of intensity, these guys have had little but high praise for Subban.

• Habfan10912 says:

Shiram, my feelings exactly. I really dislike the mudslinging PK’s way. We heard boo about” PK was late for team meetings” until this negotiation crap. I sure hope it was not the organization circulating this garbage to hinder or weaken PK’s negotiating stance. PK gives his all while on the ice. He doesn’t seem to me to be the type to dog it or take things lackadaisical. He deserves the benefit of the doubt as far as I’m concerned.

———————————–

• jmsheehy19 says:

I know a guy who knows who ate dinner with him, and he said he was really nice, super humble, and even broke out and led the restaurant in a flash mob that raised money for starving orphans.

I know another guy that says he eats babies. Orphan babies.

• joeybarrie says:

I can read between the lines. I use common sense.
      Bob MacKenzie said they were about 2.5-3 million apart.
      I can assume the rest and still be pretty close. I dont think MB started the conversation at 1.5 million for 2 years.
      MacKenzie also talked about term a week or so ago. PK wants long term 5-6 years and MB wants a 2 year bridge contract.
      Subban wants too much. He will sit until he becomes more reasonable. MB probably want to go too low as well.
      He wont bring back anything worth his play on the ice as long as he is holding out. And other teams know he wants too much. So until they both move (mostly Subban to be honest) nothing will happen.
      While Subban was the number 1 D last season, it was only cause Markov was injured, and there is no way PK is getting Markov money. Not till he puts up Markov numbers and stops taking every single penalty.

• PrimeTime says:

Unfortunately blogs are the culprit of rumours. I don’t believe anything until I read or see it from a reliable news source. Many times bloggers get their info from other blogs or speculate from other sources. It can be entertaining to some to discuss rumours and share opinions but anyone who takes these discussions seriously are fooling only themselves.

9. 100HABS says:

We all know that wins reduce PK’s value while losses will increase it. What I want to know is his reaction in that split second after Markov scored…
    If he’s a team player, he would have yelled (like I did) and been happy. If he’s just selfish and just wants money, he said “s**t” and is praying for the habs to lose…

• commandant says:

It doesn’t work that way. This isn’t a roller coaster where he gets and extra 100K on Saturday cause the Leafs won, and 200K less cause they beat the Caps and Panthers.

I wouldn’t want a GM who lives and dies with every win and loss and makes decisions on a one game at a time basis.

The emotions of one win or one loss can not be allowed to control the long term vision of the organization.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Mustang says:

Just to make the math easy, let’s assume that he is worth $4.1M for a full season. That means that he earns $50K per game so he is already out $150K. No matter what the exact amount is, he is losing a serious chunk of change for every game that he watches from the sidelines.

• ed lopaz says:

I don’t think PK “yelled” after Markov scored. But I do think he was impressed and happy for Markov and happy for his team.

This is young man with great integrity who is trying to cash in on years and years of hard work.

My late father taught me that I should not live my life trying to get everyone to love me, I should live my life.

Subban’s efforts and contribution to this team speak for themselves.

it is only the “RFA status”, the CBA designation, that forces a player to wait another 2 years after his ELC to cash in.

Otherwise, if the Habs did not have this RFA stranglehold on Subban’s future, if he was free to move as you and I are, he would be making 5 million this season already.

10. frontenac1 says:

Yak to be on Coaches Corner? I don’t really care who is on that show. I always watch it because of some strange and unyielding compulsion to do so.It is certainly not to be informed or entertained,as there is nothing like that presented.There is not even morbid curiosity associated with car crashes.It is ,I think,more like a dog returrning to his own vomit.It is inevitable,natural,and disgusting.

11. Mattyleg says:

Alla yous talking about players’ ‘value’…

I have yet to see a goal scored, a puck blocked, a fight won, a body checked, or a sure goal saved by a player’s ‘value’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. rhino514 says:

The scary thing about losing PK IMO is not on the offensive side of things. His slapshot takes two days to wind up and though obviously talented he still has not developped the vision and savvy of Markov.
    Where he really made an improvement last year was on the defensive side of things. He managaed to be plus nine on a mediocre team and playing against other teams tops lines. He is a GREAT skater; can anyone recall any forwards getting past him one on one?
    What other defensemen are out there that have such a combination of skating and size and close to that level defensively?

• Habfan10912 says:

Good points all but let’s add a very good puck moving defenceman to his list also. Didn’t it seem last season that the team struggled mightily to get the puck out of their own end. Subban can do this well and Markov has awesome first outlet pass skills. Adding Subban to the current blue line would be a big improvement.

———————————–

13. jedimyrmidon says:

I find it annoying when pundits like Gaston Therrien say things like: “The team is working together pretty well right now. It would be hard to insert Subban in at this point in time.”

Yes, team chemistry is important and disrupting it is a bad idea… but this is the guy who was the Canadiens’ best defenseman by a mile last year, and one of the NHL’s rising stars. Put him into the lineup, and chances are things will be even better! Not worse! So what if Boullion and Kaberle get less time.

Markov-Emelin, Subban-Gorges – now that’s a solid Top 4. Subban and Kaberle on the 2nd PP unit – that ain’t half bad.

• ed lopaz says:

Gaston Therrien is the new Gaston “le Gaff” in my books.

There is a reason why he is not being hired by any hockey organization.

• bwoar says:

Kaberle would come out for Subban, based on TOI so far.

Markov-Emelin
      Gorges-Subban
      Boullion-Diaz

PP might be
      Markov-Diaz
      Emelin-Subban

I’m not gonna give Subban a free pass to the top PP until he proves he can do more than shoot every opportunity (or attempt to.) As we can see, the man-advantage hasn’t been weak without him.

“thoroughbred”

• jedimyrmidon says:

In the case of the PP, I agree it would be a mistake to insert PK up there with Markov. Diaz and Markov have been working well together so far, and hopefully it remains that way.

Letting PK have big defensive responsibilities can only benefit the team, I think. He is a physical force out there, and would increase the likelihood that Markov makes it through the season by playing against the more aggressive lines.

• Propwash says:

Swap Diaz with Emelin methinks, but you’re absolutely right, PK will make the back end that much better. People say he’s a problem, but IMO, it’s a good problem to have.

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Habfan10912 says:

Last night, Diaz 20:38, Frankie 18:11, Markov 24.09, Gorges 20.31 and Emilin 22:01. PK takes minutes away from all them. That’s especially important for Frankie and Markov with this compressed schedule this year. I love how Kabrele’s minutes are being decreased (14:40) but adding PK in the mix will keep all of these folks much fresher.

———————————–

• Mattyleg says:

I laugh during every Antichambre intro.
      There’s Patrick Roy, Vincent Damphousse, Michel Bergeron, etc etc…

Then Gaston Therrien.

Who has no connection to hockey whatsoever, as far as I can tell.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. FlyAngler says:

In all team sports there are many examples of teams that have won championships because they were TEAMS and not a collection of headcases and megalomaniacs.
    For all of the money that New York teams like the Yankees and including the Rangers have spent on payroll, the return on investment has not been there from any objective perspective.
    There are exceptions, but in general the teams with team guys and talent will beat the piss out of the teams with talent and bunch of egomaniacs nine times out of ten and twice on Sunday. Do the arrogant and the self-absorbed succeed sometimes- absolutely- but in Leadership very rarely and in team sports not so much. You have to be pretty clueless not to get this.

• Habfan10912 says:

Fly, you raise an interesting theory. Many NY Ranger fans are now blaming the teams slow start to “team” players such as Prust missing from their lineup. I think the Rangers will turn it around as they have a solid blueline and great goaltending but it does make you go hmmm, doesn’t it?

———————————–

• FlyAngler says:

Habfan10912,

You are darn right it does. Look at the $$$$ the Rangers have spent in the last two decades, yet they have 1 Cup to show for it and have either missed the playoffs or exited in the first round way too many times given the dough that Glen Sather has thrown around.
        The blueshirts are better of late because of team guys like Callahan along with the Richards, and the Gaboriks and now Rick Nash.
        I love Prust as a player and think his acquisition was a major coup by MB.

• habs-fan-84 says:

like when the Habs beat Washington and Pittsburgh in 7 games in the playoffs a few years back..?

15. HabsWinn-ipeg says:

My opinion re: PK
    IF the Habs were to trade him, they need impact player(s) in return or a combination of impact player and prospects/picks from a team that will finish low in the standings. Teams that trade star/rising star talent get picks in return only if they a) are in rebuilding mode or b)are very strong and can survive quite well without the player in question. Montreal is neither of these teams. They are a decent team that is on the rise (IMO), and picks for Subban would do them no good at present. Any return for Subban has to make impact now and in the future. For the same reasons, an offer sheet will be matched by the Habs (picks don’t help them now).

Hopefully the report that PK has asked Meehan to get the deal done is legit.

• ed lopaz says:

the worst type of player to trade is the player the team values at 3 million and then wants to trade at 5 million – your post from yesterday.

• HabsWinn-ipeg says:

Truth is PK is more valuable than what the Habs want to pay him, if you factor in what you believe that he will be in a few years. If you trade him you base value on what his value will be over the life of his career. When you’re looking at a bridge contract, you base it on what you have right now. PK’s next contract will be huge, because he in all likelihood will have achieved the potential eveyone thinks he has.

16. Rob says:

It’s such a strange (and surely Canadian) thing that we believe that people must be humble in order to succeed. I mean, it would be NICE if successful people were all humble and modest, and surely they are easier to take when they combine success with an element of “aww shucks”. But exactly WHERE in the world do we see all these humble, modest people endowed with great achievements?

In cut throat arenas like sport, you will often find a strong correlation between success and arrogance. I think its about time that we learn to differentiate between people we want to hang out with or marry our daughters and the people whose abilities we choose to observe and celebrate. It is a very rare case that the two match, and we would be foolish to throw out the people who are great at what they do just because we wouldn’t want to invite them over to dinner.

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

• Luke says:

We want our players to play with passion. We want them to give it all they have and sacrifice everything.
      We just want them to shut it off immediately when successful and be quiet about their accomplishments.
      It’s funny, PK gets ripped for the attitude… probably the same attitude that keeps Habs chriping Leafs fans (24cups! 46 years!) in offices all day long…

17. rhino514 says:

This season is going to be all about injuries.
    So far we don´t have a victim on the NHL´s list. Every game we come out of unhurt is reason to rejoice.
    Plus an injury to one of the dmen could pressure MB into signing PK to a regrettable contract. Look at the signing of Benn this week; injuries had something to do with it.
    I realize the team at some point will have a losing streak. But I am honestly starting to question how much worse off the team is without PK Subban. The players all just seem to be in such good synch out there, wether they win or not.
    I would give anything to know how PK´s presence changes the the energy in the room, the inner dynamics. I think he is a good guy and wants to win and all….but man, he doesn´t stop talking! …even while he is without a contract!

18. Loonie says:

Any integrity TSN had as a broadcasting corporation went out the window with Darren Dreger’s statement that “If Mike Gillis wants to move Luongo he’s going to have to lower his asking price”.

Why’s that Darren? Because the man you share your holidays with doesn’t WANT to give up what Gillis is asking for? Interesting twist on reality by a man who’s in a direct conflict of interests when speaking about the Luongo issue as it relates to the Leafs.

19. sCOTT1243 says:

Can’t believe all the PK bashing in the press… Probably Leaf media not wanting PK to sign in Mtl.

We need PK end of story. Young, talented and yes cocky but big deal, I like it!

Oh wait maybe we should trade him for Phaneuf and Kadri? We love trading with the leafs don’t we? Why I never know.

Totally different team this year and think we will do fine, Price looks great, fluid and like what i am seeing.

Kaberle and Armstrong bu buy.
    Prust, Diaz, Bourque, keep it up.

MT so far so good.

• Loonie says:

Yeah funny how Dreger is Nonis’ brother in law and Mike Gillis wants too much for Luongo. Weird how that works eh?

• Strummer says:

why are you singling-out Armstrong.
      he’s on a 1 year deal for a million bucks FFS

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

20. scavanau says:

Maybe he’d have taken all 3 spots if it were a shutout?

Copied from my Canadiens Postgame Report:
    THE THREE STARS
    First star Carey Price
    Second star Andrei Markov
    Third star Carey Price

21. F50Marco says:

Here’s my couple pennies to throw out there….. See what i did there? ;)

– I don’t mind Yaks goal celebration mainly because he’s still young, that being said if an older guy whose been around did it i would think its a little overboard.

– This Halak vs Price thing is growing so old. Can we not agree that they are BOTH good goalies. I still prefer Price though but Halak has been a stud for STL also.

– I’m starting to think i would rather PK sign now just to stop all this bashing against him than because he’s a very good Dman. Ultimately It makes me sick just thinking about it but i think he’s gonna be traded and the return won’t be worth it.

Here’s what i’m struggling with. If he is traded, what do you think is the minimum we’d need to get back in return for it to be an equal trade? Also can it even be done?

• BJ says:

The perception that he can’t be replaced hockey wise is not accurate. He’s no Bobby Orr, Larry Robinson, Nicklas Lidstrom or anyone in that category. He will be very good if he stays healthy (assuming his style does not catch up with him). I think he’s a notch and half down from a Stamkos, Tavares or Giroux type player but a notch up on Huberdeau, (maybe Dougie Hamilton as was suggested below by HabsFan72) or Sean Couturier so we would need a first pick in addition to those. Would Anze Kopitar be a good return? They do have a few good other forwards so maybe he would be available? Hard to say.

22. habs-fan-84 says:

The team is playing exactly how I was hoping they would play to start the season. Prust, as expected, has been a great addition.

I think we have a lot of pieces to the puzzle:

-Great goalie
    -Good mix of veterans and young’ins
    -Right amount of grit, see Moen, White, Prust, Armstrong, Bourque, Bouillon, Emelin
    -Finally some size up front to compliment a decent amount of skill
    -Solid prospects, see Bozon, Thrower, Colberg, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Gallagher etc.

If and when PK signs, we have all the right pieces to make a splash into the playoffs. I’ve believed this the whole time, not just because we’ve won two straight.

I wonder where all the children have gone after the loss to the Leafs …no doubt the rats will be back after the next loss.

GO HABS GO…
    sucks there’s no game on Saturday!
    Boo to Sunday games that start at 6:00!!

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree. I have always believed that with a healthy Markov and Gionta, as well as another year of seasoning for the young guns, the Habs would make the playoffs. Hell, if not for all the shootout and 1 goal losses last year, they would have made them then.

I stick by my 6th in the east prediction.

Go Habs Go!!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Cheers to that. I always believed that last year was an unfortunate aberration (or fortunate depending on how you look at it, i.e. Galchenyuk). Had we had a healthy Markov as expected last year and a healthy Gionta I think it’s easily conceivable we would have made the playoffs, but I digress.

23. Habsrule1 says:

If Markov stays healthy, and keeps playing like he is all season, could we have 2 Masterton Trophy winners in a row?

I think it would be one hell of a comeback, showing perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to ice hockey.

Go Habs Go!!

24. HabFanSince72 says:

If we do decide to trade PK (which I’m not advocating), the biggest return would come from … the Bruins.

1. They are still obsessed with us and would like to steal him just to annoy us.

2. They have his little bro (who they picked in part because of #1).

These 2 reasons add value to PK for the Bruins, value which we might see as a return in a trade.

So how about Dougie Hamilton and a #1 pick for PK?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

25. habsoul says:

“Fluid meritocracy …” Mike, your neurons are in mid-season form!

Hmm, people think this team can go far without PK? A few losses will fix that perception. The Habs will sign him and we’ll all forget about this very quickly. My only fear is that the nosediving Flyers will give Subban an offer sheet that Montreal will be forced to match. Is that still possible?

Markov looks like a youngster out there again. Therrien seems to be pushing the right buttons. Bourque looks like a different player out there and Diaz is a revelation.

“When you are the Canadiens, you cannot make excuses.”
    — Henri Richard, on what it meant to be a Montreal Canadian

26. MacHabFan says:

PK signing solution.

Say good-bye to Weber + Kaberle = PK.

Q.E.D.

27. 69HABS says:

About this Halak Bulls__t, Price would get those shutouts as well if he were faced with 13 shots a game …

28. derfab says:

Anyone else notice how the great Drew Doughty (that someone else should apparently not be compared to) has thus far completely sucked on the PP (pun intended)?

29. Bash says:

It’s been a while…but as one lunatic axe murderer put it, “I’m back!”

If PK does not sign for the deal we are offering let him rust. His trade value will not change why he sits and we can entertain multiple offers…no rush. My preference would be a package deal allowing us to move Kaberle as well. We need to get a solid #3 D in his prime and a mean #6 D in return…perhaps other add ons are possible. The trade has to be to a team outside our conference

I would be very happy if we can reach a deal but unless that happens very soon the die will be cast. PK will be branded as a traitor virus. BE GONE!

And let’s not get confused if we win a a few games lest visions of Stanley’s plums dance in our heads.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Habsrule1 says:

Trade a #1 D-Man for a #3 & #6 D-Man?

Please get more than that, MB. We have about 4 #6 D-Men already.

Go Habs Go!!

• Bash says:

He is not a #1 yet. It could happen but who knows? We have a couple of potential stars coming up. Wrap those around our current stock and add a Josh Gorges 2.0 and a mean sonofabitch for the 6 spot. + we get rid of Kab’s contract right away without penalty.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• bwoar says:

If Bergevin trades PK Subban without getting PK Subban in return, I will label him an irrevocably stupid flatworm and call for his head without reserve.

“thoroughbred”

30. Habsrule1 says:

Personally, I’m not big on goal celebrations unless it’s a meaningful goal, such as a game winning goal, 1st NHL goal, a milestone goal, and perhaps a game tying goal if your team was down by a few goals.

Other than that, I like how Gionta usually celebrates. Act like you’ve been there before.

Go Habs Go!!

31. shiram says:

So this totally is not my joke, but it’s worth sharing!
    Yak to the future!

32. FlyAngler says:

The truly great act with humility and lead by example. Gretzky was great, Orr was great, Richard and LaFleur were great. P K may be on the way to greatness and I hope that he is, but he’s only going to get there if he learns to be more humble and less self serving and he ain’t there yet and has a ways to go…….there’s an old book that says something about the humble being exalted and the exalted being humbled…. there’s a lot of wisdom in that I think.

33. V says:

Watching the game last night with the Washington play by play guys was great. A stark constraint to the Florida crew. I was very impressed with their deep knowledge of our team, players and overall fairness. Very impressive. Much more even handed than a CBC broadcast, which is pretty disappointing when you think about it.

• HABSsince92 says:

The Florida Panthers announcers are bush league……..Bill Lindsay a former NHLer who even palyed for the Canadiens answered a trivia question that a fan texted in either last season or 10-11 about what the ‘H’ stands for in the Canadiens logo and his answer was that it stood for Habitant aka Habs which is incorrect lol.

PK please sign.

The new NHL reality of the salary cap for GM’s to manage with.

63 Million to spread out as evenly amongst 24 players as possible. A GM has to try and balance talent, dollar wise throughout the total roster in order for the coaches to be able to roll 4 lines and use all of the D throughout each game.

That averages about 2.6 million per player! So you must rob from one in order to retain another player you deem more talented.

The better and more evenly a GM can distribute the wealth, also depends how much a player enjoys his time playing for a certain club. By the way our boys are having fun playing out there now, goes a long way come contract time. After all this is still a game!

A point that was lost under Jacques Martin.

35. von says:

Arron Ward said he had no issue with Yakupov’s over-the-top celebration last night. Funny, I have a feeling if it was #76 he would have roasted him.

Personally, I thought it was a bit much under the circumstances… Clinching a playoff spot, playoff series win, Stanley Cup, etc., ok. But tying a game this early in the year with not even a spectacular goal? Meh. I remember another Russian who had elaborate over-the-top goal celebrations early in his NHL career. We played him last night. Take note, Yak.
    _________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

• twilighthours says:

When you score your first NHL goal – or second NHL goal – feel free to celebrate however you want. I’ll be OK with it.

• commandant says:

Whether true or not the oilers felt the refs were screwing them in that game.

Weird calls (2 men thrown out of a faceoff penalty…. hand on puck penalty… instigator penalty) all went against them. Then they looked like they tied it with a minute left. Ref calls goal, and then conferences with linesmen/refs and calls goalie interference even though Gagner was pushed in.

The calls may have been right, they may not have, but it doesn’t matter. The oilers fans and oilers players certainly felt they were getting screwed.

And then he ties it with 4 seconds left….; of course there was emotion.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• krob1000 says:

Gagner shoud have had the cross checkin penalty before..but he was clearly pushed in…and then wrapped up by Quick, he couldn’t get away…. grat call by Kruger to put Belanger out for that draw and have the kid Yak on the ice in his fourth game in that situation on a team with Eberle, Hall, Nuge, Schultz, Hemsky, Horcoff, Smyth,etc …that was the most dramatic ending I have seen in a long time….I am thankful I saw that…reminds me of the time I happened to catch the Patrick Stefan mess up on the empty net and the OIlers went down and scored..that too will forver be ingrained in my memory as will that game and that celebration..and Gagner ending it perfectly…on a pp in OT after being the one who got the goal called back…you really couldn’t have written a better movie. Yakupov had even been chewed out by Quick earlier in the game for shooting into the net after a whistle…there was a lot of emotion in that game.

36. SmartDog says:

Mike! A little rest is doing you some good. This is a great article!

Really nice observations on Therrien’s coaching. After Martin’s insistance that square pegs go in round holes, it’s fantastic to see a coach that sees what we all see. Kaberle missing two (in a row) passes back to the blue line on the Power Play made me want to pull my hair out. (I asked this board if I was being too critical the day after and they said I was…. obviously I wasn’t. This shows how much Martin has toyed with the psych of the masses.) And you’re right about Bourque, not the fanciest player but he moves around like a big croc in a swamp just waiting to pounce on something. Which is exactly what he did on that goal. His timing was perfect.

I’m a bit sad about Eller, but have to say Therrien so far has been right. I hope he does give him a chance to come back and as you suggest Whitey could use a little bit of sit-and-watch.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

37. Mattyleg says:

I liked it when we won last night.
    I was like, “We’re going to win, we’re going to win.”

Then we won.

I liked that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

38. 123456 says:

So folks, I have to admit I only saw the first period last night (and then highlights later). While the Habs looked good in the first they did not dominate. I hate to be a debbie downer but if not for the 5 on 3 goals in each of hte past two games I’m not sure the results would have been similar. Some bounces have gone the Habs way – and while I enjoy that, they are only 2 games removed from a horriffic showing in their HOME OPENER.

Now on a positive note – you have ot play hard to win and I have seen that the past 120 minutes (140 minutes actually).

PK will return and make the Habs better – he will push out a good player but what coach does not want to have to think about sitting a good player….. isn’t that better than thinking which AHL player do I dress tonight and try to hide from mistakes???

39. NL Hab says:

So I guess the meeting between Bergevin and Meehan is currently underway. If they can’t agree on a deal soon, they are going to have to trade him. I love Subban, but I really don’t like his recent comments. He is a great hockey player, but a 23 year old doesn’t have to go around and saying that stuff about himself.
    There is a lot or rumors that he is not liked n the dressing room, and I can really see how that can be true. I want him back as a Hab, but if he is not willing to accept this bridge contract, then send him packing, because it is too much of a distraction for the other players having to answer PK questions every day.

Et Le But

• derfab says:

He deserves a contract similar to Benn’s. Perhaps more. Anything else is nonsense. This stuff about his mouth, attitude and behaviour in the room is a dirty, abusive, small-minded, ornery…rascally rabbit tactic, especially since Subban has been flattered and pushed by management to do as much PR work for the Habs as possible. Markov is great but remains vulnerable. If they don’t sign PK they should get another goon to protect him. The big clubs will take him out if the habs are a threat.

40. krob1000 says:

Drew Doughty played 33 minutes last night!!

41. Sportfan says:

Ok I have to ask do any of you think Yakupov went over board? Personally I don’t but thats me, anyone care to share?

42. Soolz says:

PK is good defenseman, no question, and he has a lot of upside as well. Benn is good power forward who’s improved steadily for the past three years and is well worth 5 Million per year based on his production. The two are not comparable.

I still think Del Zotto is a more direct comparisson. His point total was higher and his plus minus was better. That being said, he was on a better team so that needs to also be taken into consideration. Who knows what PK would do with the NYR. I could care less about PK’s intagibles off the ice or being a face of the Canadiens.

At the end of the day and this being my point… Trade him. Montreal has a pleathera of young defenceman in the system that are on the way up. Diaz and Weber have similar offensive games to PK (not the skating or maybe the shot) but an offensive mind. Diaz has a lot of upside and seems to be overlooked all the time. When given the opportunity, he’s shining. This is a short season and at the end of the day I would put an asterik beside the name of the Cup champ.

Pk is a player that would give them back a strong return and potentially allow you to dump salary ie. Kaberle in the deal – You never know. I’ve always thought the Habs needed to do something with the extra bodies that spend a lot of time in the press box in years past. Well, maybe this is the solution – play ‘em and build a stronger front end.

• shiram says:

Del Zotto does not get the assignments that PK got, PK was the Habs #1 D last year, Del Zotto was a second pairing D.
      Also a team getting Subban in a trade would not want Kaberle, and if they did it would most likely hurt Subban’s trade value.

• Soolz says:

And if Markov was healthy PK would have been too.

** Oh – and I’m not saying the Kaberle thing is a strong possibility – I’m saying that you never know what needs a team could find themselves in who need experienced D. Hey – we took him!

• shiram says:

Doubt it, PK would have probably played with Markov.
          The other thing is that PK has proven to be able to handle first pairing duty, Del Zotta has not, so they are not comparable in that respect.

• Soolz says:

I mentioned that above – It’s impossible to directly compare Del Zotto and PK – Different teams, different situations, ice time, opportunity. The same argument could be made the other way – What if Del Zotto had PK’s time and opportunity he had last year? Maybe Del Zotto has 55 points? Impossible to know.

• FlyAngler says:

While I do not think that P K is an elite defensman yet, he certainly has shown that he has the potential to become one and given Markov’s age is the most likely Dman to be the Habs #1 Dman and the quaterback the PP for the 1st unit when Markov moves on. I like Diaz and Emelin and Gorges, but they do not have Subban’s raw talent on the offensive side of the equation. If I were betting, I would bet that P K is going to be a special player in this league at some point and for a long while. I would not trade him unless the situation becomes completely futile OR if an opposing GM makes MB and offer that he cannot refuse which I think is unlikely.

43. habsfan0 says:

While it’s nice to see Habs have a winning record @ 2-1, it is only 3 games into the season. I think some of the comments have been over exuberant,considering. Even if they were 0-3, it wouldn’t be fair to chastise them severely,given the small sample size. We can only hope team will continue to improve as season progresses,particularly if PK rejoins the team soon.

• shiram says:

I try to keep my comments on what’s done, and not what will happen.
      3 games is indeed too short to have an accurate picture.

• NL Hab says:

I agree, it is only 3 games, but you really can sense a change in attitude and commitment in this team. I wasn’t a big fan of Therrien when he was hired, but I must say, he has changed the identity and attitude of this team in a couple of weeks.

Et Le But

44. Captain aHab says:

I can’t believe some people are STILL talking Halak vs Price.

Get.A.Life.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• NL Hab says:

Whatever you want to say about Gainey/Gauthier, they certainly made the right choice with Price. But your right, I’m sick of the Halak supporters. The 1st bad game Price has this year, all the Halakians will be throwing there verbal diarrhea on this site. Uggghhhh.

Et Le But

45. shiram says:

Was wondering why Emelin wore the cage.

Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin
    Alexei Emelin will play with a cage for 3 more weeks. While in KHL he got an elbow in the part of his face where he’s got titanium plates.

• Chuck says:

If my face was titanium, I’d be using it as a weapon, not hiding it behind a cage. :)

___________________________________________________

46. TheDagger says:

You know what grinds my gears…. the love Yakupov is getting for the “exuberance and enthusiasm” for his goal celebration. I have no problem with it. But if it were PK who did that he would be torched by every single member of the league and media that covers hockey.

• krob1000 says:

maybe you should have watched the game..I am not an Oilers fan and I literally yelled out loud and jumped of my couch as if it were the Habs after them just getting screwed..the delay because the fans went nuts,etc….it was a pretty big goal considering the circumstances and that was genuine excitement…I don’t see why PK has anything to do with it but I am not a fan of rehearsed celebrations but that goal and celly was as genuine as they come…no issue with that. It was the kids first meaningful goal and may be a turning point for this young Oilers team…the end of that game is not one I will forget…it was straight out of Hollywood.

• TheDagger says:

I did watch the game actually, thanks. I’m not really and Oilers fan either but I let out a yell myself. And I loved seeing it. Subban would definitely be flamed for that same reaction though, I just hate how he is so unfairly scrutinized.

• krob1000 says:

if the enthusiasm is real and the goal maters why not celebrate..I think anyone knocking Pk in those situations would knock him any other sitatuion too. I have an issue sometimes with 6-2 goals being celebrated with some schtick they have already told the guys they were gonna do…but that is just me..some people like it. I like the “act like you’ve doneit before and will do it again” approach myself..but when emotions are high all bets are off…anything goes in those moments.

• TheDagger says:

I have no problems with enthusiastic celebrations for big goals either, I like it. There are lots out there that like to pick on a certain fella for that stuff though, who knows why….
            Act like you’ve done it before.. but if you haven’t. Go for it!

• twilighthours says:

If PK did that, we would be crucifying him.

Come to think of it, PK did, and we did.

47. Rudy says:

I was at the game last night and as has been posted, teams have got the Cole/Patch/DD line”s number. They were all over DD, he spent more time on his ass than standing up. He got pummelled every shift.
    Price was unbelievable, LOVE Prust, the rookies are fun to watch live and the fact they kept their foot on the gas pedal was so fun to see, I was waiting for the collapse. All 3 stars were Habs and there were a few Habs fans who stayed to cheer the names.

• Captain aHab says:

Again, Cole has hit two posts so far…if those go in, we’re not talking about how bad that line is right now…give them time. DD was in front of the net shielding the goalie on the Gorges goal…we haven’t seen the Habs do stuff like that in forever.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

48. p.99 says:

Pk and habs management metting face to face today for a critical metting to discuss contract terms,
    Source says,

49. Marcusman says:

has anyone seen when TSN2 will run the HBO 24ch show?

• von says:

No, I’ve only see it listed on RDS. I guess TSN2 will air it after RDS does… BTW, HBO doesn’t have anything to do with it, it’s produced by RDS. It’s just done in the similar style to HBO’s “24/7″.

_________________________________

50. FlyAngler says:

Habsync- It’s not fair for you to utilize facts, logic and rationality in your arguments as these elements cannot be effectively combatted against with feelings, impressions and opinions. How dare you be so unfair! Give you opponents a chance why don’t you!

51. commandant says:

As Burly alluded to the Wings are struggling. How far back do those struggles go, and what went wrong? Max V explains

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

52. FlyAngler says:

Craig Button claimed last night that Benn’s contract sets the standard for what P K should get. This only serves to explain why Button is an EX GM and now only a poor excuse for a talking head. P K might be worth 3-4 mill at this point, but not 5. He is not as good a player as Benn yet although someday he might be better. He still has to prove himself and improve on the negatives that Habsync points out. Button is an empty suit fool.

• Loonie says:

You’re both wrong in my opinion. Because you’re comparing a defenseman and forward.

• Strummer says:

Not just a defenceman and a forward, but 2 teams with totally different cap situations in the near term.

Dallas after that signing still has almost $14 million cap space this year, and almost $26 million next season

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

53. Xsteve50 says:

In my limited judgement. PK is worth Chris Letang numbers $3.5M , similar style, ability,size. and Letang has won a cup….

• HabFanSince72 says:

The things is – Letang is worth more than 3.5M. He signed just before his breakout season. On the open market he’d get way more than $3.5M.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• krob1000 says:

He signed that contract at the end of his 3rd full season…after putting up 33 points and 27 points. He played 21 and half minutes a night and palyed 21 minutes a night the season before as well. Pretty comparable actually and they play a very similar game.

• BJ says:

I’d trade Subban for Letang and Weber for Engeland if I could catch the Pens GM in a drunken state.

• Habsrule1 says:

I still see more upside with PK than Letang. Letang’s numbers are not that much higher, and consider he plays with Crosby quite regularly.

Go Habs Go!!

54. SteverenO says:

I know that everyone is all excited about how well we are playing, but lets not get carried away.

I see a potential problem that could impact the success of this team.

The entire coaching staff is sleeping.

Bouillion is not an effective penalty killer. He is a good player 5 on 5 and was a good acquisition but he doe not belong on the penalty kill.

Last year with Nashville he saw 50 minutes of short handed ice time.The team allowed 12 goals during that span. The Preds were smart enough to limit his time on the PK unit. There were 5 defencemen who were given more ice time short handed. Six if you include Hal Gill.

For comparison purposes here are the averages of time on ice while short handed per powerplay goal allowed from last season:

Bouillion – one PP GA for every 4 minutes of ice time
    Hal Gill – one PP GA for every 14 minutes of ice time
    Josh Georges – one PP GA for every 14 minutes of ice time
    Raph Diaz – one PP GA for every 40 minutes of ice time

With hardly any training camp,practices and exhibition games,who would you have played on the penalty kill?

The stats this year so far….. Bouillion has played 16 minutes of shorthanded time and the team has allowed 2 PP Goals Against during that span. Diaz played 80 minutes last year while short handed and the team allowed the same number of goals against …TWO.. while short handed with Diaz on the ice.

Do your homework coaching staff. We can not win if we don’t use our available resources to best advantage.

regards,

Steve O.

• jmsheehy19 says:

Me and my buddy used to always get the colorado feed when we watched the wild games on Center Ice, and the comedy of their commentators became a bigger draw than the game.

Their was one game that I am pretty confident they were drunk. They got down by 2 goals and then just rambled about his wife for 8 or 9 minutes.

55. bleedhabs81 says:

Has anyone checked TSN stats for Carey Price?

He is on pace for 96 W!!!!

I thought this was a shortened season?

Also, I was checking out goalie stats yesterday and was a little surprised that Halak had a sweet GAA but only a 0.880 S%. I think this is wrong. His first game he had a shut-out but only a 0.921 S%??? How does that happen?

TSN has some issues

• Cardiac says:

Aaron Ward is their statistician.

– Jerry Maguire

56. habsnyc says:

I can make a case statistically that PK is undisciplined. He led all NHL defensemen in minor penalties by a huge margin. He took 47 minor penalties, which is 10 more than the second place dman. His shooting percentage ranked 71st among defensemen, but he took the 7th most shots of any blueliner. His low percentage shots created many turnovers.

I think PK was over used last season, which was detrimental to the team’s performance. By demonstrating a commitment to team play such as taking fewer penalties and causing fewer turnovers, PK could become a much better player. I have trouble with a long term deal until he matures on ice. With Markov back and Emelin and Diaz emerging, PK has the chance to play within himself this season, which would go a long way to making him worthy of a multi year deal.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Loonie says:

A defenseman’s shooting percentage can be directly attributed to the amount of traffic in front of the net. It’s no coincidence that of the Habs’ 9 goals, four have come from defensemen and one of them from a forward was on a deflection in front of the net.

• habsnyc says:

I think trying trying to assert some kind of statistical proof from three games and nine goals is beyond ridiculous. If there is no traffic in front of the net then the defenseman should pass, not shoot. It seems intuitive to me that shooting percentage has more to do with accuracy, speed, discipline and positioning.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Loonie says:

And you don’t see a correlation between attacking the front of the net and better shooting percentage for defenseman?

Brian Gionta was near exclusively the only forward who even tried to get traffic in front last season…..the results speak for themselves.

• habsnyc says:

I agree that screened shots from the point are better. But it is tough for me to believe that over 82 games last season, no Hab forward ventured to the front of the net. For a screen to be effective, the defenseman need to be positioned where the screen will work and shoot quickly and accurately before the defensemen clear the screen.

It would seem we also agree that if there is no screen, it is undisciplined for a defenseman to shoot from the point. Which is pretty much my argument that PK shot too often.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• 44har48 says:

PK is a friend of Tom’s so don’t even try to argue or prove points with him. Very educated about the game and passionate thats why I like him, but you are not going to change his opinion that PK is the best defencemen in the NHL right now and the best Montreal ever had :)…

• commandant says:

1) Shooting percentage is an irrelevant stat based more on luck than on skill.

2) He took a lot of minor penalties because he played more minutes than almost any defenceman in the league, and for a team whose forwards couldn’t put enough pressure to pin the other team in their end of the ice so we were running around in our end. We never had the puck.

3) He was also part of the #2 Penalty Kill in the entire NHL and played huge minutes. He played against top lines. Despite a team that couldn’t score at ES he was a +9

And he’s 22 years of age, and improving.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• habsnyc says:

Thanks very much for a well thought out response. But, I think I can argue against some of your points.

If shooting percentage is irrelevant then save percentage must also be a worthless stat. These are the stats we have.
        PK ranked 48th in even strength time on ice per game among defenseman and was first by a mile in penalties. His +9 may be attributable to great goaltending. Gorges had a higher +/- played more even strength than PK and had 20% the minor penalties that Subban took. PK’s penalties are not due to his ice time and his plus minus compares unfavorably to that of his teammate.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habfan10912 says:

Solid point IMO about PK being forced to play extra minutes. Such a high energy player was prone to miscues when overused. No doubt though we’re a much stronger unit with him in the line up. I’m optimistic he signs today soon.

———————————–

• New says:

I find that stats are great for forming an opinion but that once you have formed one stats are used to rationalize the existing opinion. Stats that negate your opinion are thrown out or dismissed. The only real stat that counts is winning. At the end of the year you want your name on the cup and nobody cares that Henri Richard only had 12 goals. He has the ring.

• habsnyc says:

Stats are what artbitrators use to determine salary. They compare stats and award players contracts based on what players with similar stats earn. Since this conversation is about what PK is worth, we can use stats to understand why there might be a large gap between the two sides. I am trying to show the rational thinking that would cause a thoughtful GM to pause before giving PK a long term contract.

And nobody cared that Henri Richard had only 12 goals in 70-71, not just because we won the Cup but because the team had four Hall of Fame forwards in Lemaire, Beliveau, Mahovlich and Cournoyer to snipe. And they won the Cup because of incredible goaltending, the Pocket Rocket’s Cup winning goal notwithstanding.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

57. Habsssssssswin says:

I’m really pulling for Therrien through all of this. The way he has kept all this off the ice sh*t out of the dressing room. That can’t be easy anywhere,but Montreal..damn. Also,he hates losing more than he like winning.I admire that quality in a coach.

P.S. Mike Weir..Good luck to you this weekend.

58. SPATS says:

Can’t say you were dissing us here in LONDON…ONTARIO Mr Boone… and I’ll always have a soft spot for my hometown of Brossard (woulda been nice if the Habs practice facility was there instead of miles of fields where I went bike riding back in the day, but I digress…)

While I’m sure the Republicons and Ovie had a lot to do with it, I can also tell all of you that like Dale Hunter and our new fan fave (and local boy) Brandon Prust, I too have chosen London Ontario, over my ex hometown Montreal, and my more recent adopted home of Victoria BC.

The weather was milder in Victoria but the housing unaffordable and the work drying up… The weather here in London is milder than Montreal. We have less than 2″ of snow and it’ll be gone again by Monday. The same house that costs 650K in Victoria (and 450K on the west island) is $220 K here. And, oh yeah, it’s London, not Paris… no emotional french politicians, but alas, we too have the corrupt ones ;)

Must say, I haven’t been posting since I’ve been on the move, but boy oh boy does our team look solid this year. I am firmly on the trade PK bandwagon after this start. The chemistry is too fragile and the return would be too great to not explore the options…

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

GO HABS GO

DUTCHY RULES!

New ticket prices just sent to me!! Buffalo and Ottawa games!!!

$35.50 – Senators vs. Sabres & Islanders, Reg. $53

• Chuck says:

Florida are selling season tickets for $7 per game, with free parking thrown in.

___________________________________________________

60. p.99 says:

3.2mil would be the cap hit got gal-yuk

let em kids play

61. shiram says:

It’s funny that people are saying to give Cole a break, since he hit 2 goal posts, but people will discredit Eller for having scored 4 goals in a game.

• Habfan10912 says:

I think Cole and Patches played much better last night. Eller in for White Sunday?

———————————–

• shiram says:

If Therrien is true to his word, he’ll at the very least have a good talking to with White.
        Eller might just sit out the 5 games both Gallys get to play, afterwards he’ll play, as I doubt they keep both Gallys.
        Is Nokelainen going to get a sniff of the ice? Seems doubtfull right now.

62. The Dude says:

And another shut out for Halak …thank -you hockey gods for Eller!We’ll see what we got when we play Philly and the Booins.
    F R E E…………………….S U B B A N

• commandant says:

13 shots on net.

I could get a shutout.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• krob1000 says:

Just so you are aware I saw a stat this morning that said Halak faced a total of 27 shots in his two SO games….25 of 30 teams have given up an average of 27 shots per game….

• nunacanadien says:

I don’t think it was so much the habs wanting Eller because of his or does he have skills? No the habs got rid of Halak if only just to shut up Meehan. Next we’ll see the sad demise of Subban. Meehan if you are reading this, you are a bad man who has destroyed a good future for Halak, and now Subban? And most of all you have destroyed the good dreams of little children who would get inspiration from a Subban and a Halak. Meehan should not be allowed to keep or act as an agent just for this.

• commandant says:

Meehan isn’t Halak’s agent. Its Allan Walsh, who works for a totally separate company.

Also an agent’s job is to get his client the best deal, not to worry about the irrelevant stuff you posted about kids and stuff…..

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• bleedhabs81 says:

How dare you correct the all knowing Nuna!

Apologize! Nuna is never wrong. If he says Meehan, it is Meehan. Look it up!

Wait… you are right! Does this mean Nuna is always wrong? Posting without checking facts? Making things up that don’t make any sense? Is he really just….. an idiot? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Ron says:

If your going to make up stuff at least get it right. Halak’s agent is not Meehan, its big mouth Walsh.

• punkster says:

Down to the end of the road, take a turn left, make a right just past the Walmart, take the ramp to the 40 west and just keep goin’.

***FREE PK!!!***

• ont fan says:

Sheesh, back to that again. Can’t kick Gomez contract/ production, Markov’s leg, so you go after Halak deal. Never happy!

63. Dr.Rex says:

With regards to Subban I will first say my stance is on signing him above all. But if a trade is necessary we will be looking for a top dman and a quality forward in return. Here are the possible suitors and what they would offer.

1) Philly – Couturier and Coburn.
    2) Edmonton – Whitney and Gagner (no thnx)
    3) Winnipeg – Enstrom and Little
    4) San Jose – Vlasic and prospect

About Last Night by Mike, sure covers all aspects of my new found enjoyment of this years play so far.

Two things to add are, one, the shots of our bench during the game are amazing this year. Players smiling and chatting together about their last shift etc. They are sure having a much better time playing under this Therrien style of game.

Secondly, we have not been getting into positions of vulnerability for being injured as in the past few years. When carrying the play to the opposition one is not as susceptible to receiving as much bodily damage as they would trapping and playing a more defensive game, in receiving impact by attacking players and shots.
    Keep it going Therrien!!

We have better competition coming up and it will be interesting to watch if we can play with this continued fun style of hockey and great entertainment.

With Price on top of his game like he is, no telling how far we can go this half year.

The pressure is now squarely on PK’s shoulders to sign and play catch up to his team mates solid play.
    Kaberle is playing better, but PK will send him to the press box once PK gets up to speed with his mates if he is not sent packing for draft picks.
    And I agree with Boone that yes we need White around for his physicality, but he must take a player with him to the box, or he has to stay out of the box himself. Eller should replace him on the 4th line .
    This year, (not including our opener) I am again being well entertained by the Red White and Blue.!

• Cal says:

If the Habs aren’t hit by the injury bug, good things can happen all season!
      Watching Markov almost back to normal is great!
      I’d like to see Eller with Chucky and Gally, like that youth line of Risebrough, Lambert and Tremblay only with more talent.

65. p.99 says:

u gotta keep galchenyuk up here, sending him back down will not improve anything gotta let the kid get a sip of the NHL, talents and skills u cant teach, only thing kids missing is confidence in the big league and so far so good, let em stay and play,
    let the fans see what they wanna see!!! nuff said

let em kids play

66. Dr.Rex says:

The 5 stars of last night’s game:

5) Bourque – Quietly had another impressive match considering his role.
    4) Plekanec – Does a little of everything, Underrated.
    3) Therrien – For solid game plan but mostly for finding a way to limit Kaberle’s ice time.
    2) Pricey – Made it look easy at times.
    1) Markov – Controlled the defensive zone again.

Honorable mention to Prust, Diaz, Gio and Eme.

• Lafrich says:

I take offence to the fact that only Price (Pricey) was given some love via the hockey (ever-so-clever) nickname convention. Here is how I would have done it (with my comments):

5) Bourquey – Quietly had another impressive match considering his role. (Agree)
      4) Pleky – Does a little of everything, Underrated. (Disagree, about the underrated part. He is TOTALLY rated.)
      3) Therry – For solid game plan but mostly for finding a way to limit Kaberle’s ice time. (Big thumbs up on the Kaberle point)
      2) Pricey – Made it look easy at times. (Yep, although would totally not mind if Halaky would stop getting shutouts every time Pricey placys a good gamey)
      1) Marky – Controlled the defensive zone again. (and offensive zone!)

Honorable mention to Prusty, Diazy, Gio and Emeeeeey.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hard to argue with the Dr. here.

———————————–

• nunacanadien says:

Its early in the year, and this year it is important to lose just enough games to retain the number one draft pick. I wonder what games Molson has the habs set up to lose this year? I wonder how what kickback top calibre players like Cole and Patches get not to score a zillion goals each?

67. pr99 says:

trading for subban isnt a wise move from my perspective, in return u would need the same enery level pk brings, yes he may be asking for alot $$$ 4-5 mil/year is decent and respectable for a guy like pk who gets fans on there feet, prust is makin 3.5mil why not pay a top tier to be D a mil or so more,

let em kids play

• nunacanadien says:

Regardless size makes all the difference. If we could incrementally move the inches higher, you are seeing the final end product of a team not being able to push the habs around, although the laffs showed just how easy it is to still push the habs to the edge of the shooting circle etc.

68. ed lopaz says:

best post yesterday about Subban came from Hab Winnipeg I think.

Bergevin negotiates now like Subban is worth 2 years at 3 million per season.

If Bergevin needs to trade Subban, suddenly Subban morphs into a 5 million per season player.

• Lafrich says:

Exactly. Think about who we would be willing to trade for on a 1-1 basis, and that will pretty much show you how valuable he is.

• ed lopaz says:

people yesterday suggested Jamie Benn for Subban would work.

today Jamie Benn is a 5+ million long term contract player.

• Habfan10912 says:

Funny Ed that it was reported that Benn’s stance was the opposite if PK. He only wanted a bridge contract and the team pushed hard for a long term deal.

———————————–

• Chuck says:

He’s worth 5+ million long term for the Stars, not necessarily the Canadiens.

We can all agree that Gomez wasn’t worth a 7.6 cap hit to the Habs, but at one time he was to the Rangers who gave him the contract.

Is Subban worth 5.5 million/year to the Habs?

Yes, he eats tons of minutes. Career, he’s played 160 games. 21 goals. 55 assists, and is a +2. Do those numbers justify a contract worth possibly $35 million?

Benn’s comparable numbers: 222 games, 70 goals, 90 assists, +18
          ___________________________________________________

• nunacanadien says:

Geeze that would make Gomez a billion dollar player then if we use that logic. But honestly the habs overpay and underpay. We overpay for the Gomez’s and underpay the Halaks and Streits and we end up paying for it until we get bigger players who can actually help win games.

• krob1000 says:

This is true…but when you trade a RFA player you are trading their future as well…so in theory a possibly unlimited term so you have to look at future value. I dont think anyone questions Subbans future potential and raw skill. There are just some risks, some earning of his stripes and following team tradition and paths of Pacioretty and Price and the fact his stats were inflated due to a decimated D corps that had Weber/Kaberle/Diaz/Emelin and Gorges…so 3 rookies and one pp specialist.
      Now that Markov is back Pk will not have to eat the same amount of minutes..now that Emelin and Diaz appear to be able to handle more minutes and now that Bouillon is there as a vet presence…PK’s responsibiliteies will be lessened for this season. So is it fair to him inhi ssecond contract tobreak recent team tradition based on a season that wasn’t really normal?

• commandant says:

In the season that “wasn’t really normal” with all those added minutes, and playing a role against top lines… he still finished +9. So its not like he didn’t deserve those minutes.

If he’s signed tomorrow, he’s still taking more minutes than Emelin, Bouillion and Diaz.

Even if Markov is the #1 D, Subban is still the second best D at minimum… and that assumes Markov stays healthy.

He’s still gonna play well over 20 minutes a night, and probably still close to the 24 minutes he got last year.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• krob1000 says:

Not disputing any of that…but he wants Markov money…..according to the rumours. HE is nowhere near Markov and Markov has 10 plus years of perfroming…PK could easily take a step back like many other dmen….there is still unknowns in there…sure there is raw talent out the ying yang too though. If he were to take one year and base next year on his stats I bet they would not be so mind blowing. BOth EMelin and DIaz will eat more mintues..and PK will probably be around 22 per game…but will not put up the offensive numbers. He is without a doubt the no 2 man IMO and has all around skill like Markov… ….but is young and has been called out by teammates and other hockey people for other issues. I don;t consider them a big deal…but I don’t have nearly a billion dollars invested in a team that may or may not be divided on the issue given the best players all had to stomach their second contracts and earn their stripes.

69. HabFanSince72 says:

I saw the bit on l’antichambre where ‘Bergy’ suggested that Subban needs to be traded. Francois Gagnon sort-of agreed with him.

In fairness the others on the show looked at them like they were from Mars.

I don’t think this is so much a conspiracy as dummies saying dumb things (and that’s the best defence I can muster). Next week they’ll say the opposite.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

I am surprised Gagnon would go along with that. I always thought of the gang, he was the more rational of the group. Once we play teams like Rangers, Boston, Buffalo, Philly, it will be more obvious how much we still need PK on this team.

• ed lopaz says:

over the next 10-15 years it will become even more obvious why we never should have traded Subban, as well.

few NHL players have the skills, the work ethic, to last 15 seasons in this league.

Subban is one of those rare players who will not only play 15 seasons, he could be dominant most of those 15 seasons.

• Ozmodiar says:

IMO, Gagnon didn’t agree with him.

• Captain aHab says:

Gagnon didn’t agree with him. I think his point was that it might get to that point if there is no way to find an agreement.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• New says:

The option may not be to trade him but rather to just say nope, we’re done. We have a hockey team and 49 players to look after. Let’s adjourn until after July 10th.

• BJ says:

I really enjoy the show. Lots of laughs with Bergeron. The analysis is also OK. All these guys were coaches they have for the most part good comments.

• shiram says:

Gagnon was providing more of a nuanced view I thought.
      He argued for both sides.

Detroit has injury issues with Ian White and Carlo Coliaccovo on defense. It is my recollection they are yet to score on PowerPlay.

Can MB find a way to convince Ken Holland that Kaberle will help them?

71. bwoar says:

I’m sold on Galchenyuk. Keep him with the team as a centre. I don’t care at all about his contract status, he will finish his development in the NHL. Knock, knock, Lars Eller. Wake up, David Desharnais. It’s gonna be a fight for ice time at centre for everyone not named Plekanec for the rest of the year. About time we created this kind of competition, instead of just having to play whoever could fill in.

Gallagher should finish the year in the AHL but is showing more potential than I thought. Nice to see we’ve got an option in case Gionta or Cole goes down.

“thoroughbred”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Keep Galchenyuk. The Calgary Flames are desperate for a center after letting Jokinen walk and leaving themselves with zip. We have a logjam at that position.

Trade Eller or Desharnais to Calgary for….

I think far too early to start trading either player. We are 1 forward injury away from depth problems. I believe if Gallagher goes to Hamilton Eller gets to prove himself, even if it is at wing position to start.

• commandant says:

If white keeps taking penalties, Eller might find himself back in that spot.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Hobie Hansen says:

Just a thought.

I just can’t get over Calgary though. How can that organization be soooo stupid!

They have needed to trade away Iginla and Kiprusoff for years and acquire a couple 1st round draft pick and some good young prospects.

Backlund is their best centerman and they have nobody after that. Cammalleri, Iginila and Glenross have nobody to feed them the puck or play a strong game at the position.

• Cardiac says:

When Alex Tanguay is asked to play center, a position he has not played since junior 12 years ago, you are in trouble.

May I suggest Eller for Cammy?

– Jerry Maguire

72. Habsssssssswin says:

Sitting in my recliner last night. Sippin’ a single malt. Fire in the fireplace. Snow lightly falling. Watching the Habs on the tube. Life’s good again….. Cheers!

73. Habsrule1 says:

How long before Weber gets traded? Is MB working on a trade? Could this be taking up his PK contract talk time?
    I think we could manage a decent package, including Weber, for a decent return, even if just draft picks.

Thoughts?

Go Habs Go!!

74. scuba says:

Hey Ed Lopaz, do you know what the story is in Quebec? Looks like Patrick Roy sent a couple of guys (Duclair and Erne) home for a bit because the vets on the team basically said they were not team guys. I know you are a big Duclair fan and was wondering if this is a surprise to you. I am a big fan of Erne as well but it looks like things are falling apart in Quebec. Doesn’t look good on Roy either.

Here is the link for the story here in Halifax.