About last night …

Gally
I’m sick already of the whole torch shtick Bell Centre fans will have to endure before each Canadiens home game.
But a torch was passed during that invigorating 4-1 conquest of the Florida Panthers.
Wearing number 27 for the visitors: Alex Kovalev, who turns 40 on Feb. 24.
Wearing 27 for the home side: Alex Galchenyuk, who will be 19 on Feb. 12.
Two Russians named Alex – one in the twilight – and perhaps beyond – of a great NHL career, the other just getting started.

Some good and great hockey players have worn jersey number 27 for your Montreal Canadiens.

Kovy, of course. And he gave Montreal hockey fans some great seasons.

Also Frank Mahovlich, Rick Chartraw, Shayne Corson, Mathieu Schneider and, last season, Rene Bourque.

I’m not going to suggest that Galchenyuk is going to make us forget them all.

(But even after only two games and one goal, the kid is looking better than Mariusz Czerkawski.)

But as I’ve said since the days leading up to the June draft, this kid has a chance to be a special player.

It’s been a while since the Bell Centre was as loud as the raucous celebration of Galchenyuk’s first goal. And the kid, who has a flair for the dramtic, pumped up the volume by leaping into the glass.

Think Galchenyuk will try that patented Ovechkin move if he scores Thursday night in Washington?

Fans voted Galchenyuk the game’s First Star, but there were many heroes.

• Andrei Markov – who hadn’t scored in more than two years and looked old, frail and tentative against the Leafs in that horrendous season opener – scored twice. Both were power-play goals; and Markov has combined with Raphael Diaz to give the Canadiens a point presence that has transformed the PP … and maybe has P.K. Subban phoning Don Meehan first thing Wednesday morning.

• Carey Price has not yielded an even-strength goal through 120 minutes. The Panthers are not an offensive juggernaut; but as was the case against Toronto, Price was quick, agile and totally in control of his rebounds. The most important player on this team has started his season red-hot, and that augurs well.

• Brandon Prust babysat the kids and contributed on the penalty-kill and the power play. Prust had four hits, following three against Toronto. His grit and energy have endeared Prust to the Bell Centre crowd.

• Francis Bouillon played 23 minutes – only six seconds less than team-leading Markov – and was both a physical force and a calming presence on the Canadiens blueline.

• Michel Therrien made a gutsy move by sitting Lars Eller one game into the season. Neither Therrien nor general manager Marc Bergevin have to make the Jaro Halak trade look good, and the benching sent a clear message about the level of intensity Therrien 2-0 expects from his players.

Facing an early-season challenge – the Canadiens could ill afford to be 0-2 after a pair of games at home in a short season – Therrien wasn’t afraid to put two rookies on his third line and give them significant minutes, including PP time.

Do you think Jacques Martin would have played Galchenyuk and Gallagher … on a line with a guy who had 20 fights last season?

Not likely.

Therrien also had his troops prepared for a Florida team playing its third game in four nights and coming off a pasting in Ottawa. The Canadiens outhit the vistors 19-7 in the first period, took only one minor penalty, grabbed a 2-0 lead and set the tone for pretty much full-game domination.

Washington will present a greater challenge. Their number 27 is Karl Alzner, but I’d keep an eye on 8.

1. bwoar says:

Random thought:
    Remember when JM benched Subban for 4 games, and it started a massive anti-Martin crap-fest?

How many games will Subban bench himself for this year, before sentiment turns against him?

“thoroughbred”

• But when Martin did that, PK turned his game around. I don’t think it was a big deal/anti-Martin issue then as the kid was seriously underperforming.

___________________________________________

Exploring the Habs history at Le Tir, et Le But! Follow me on Twitter

• commandant says:

Is Subban benching himself, or Bergevin benching Subban.

If the media reports are to be believed on the offers, (and they might not be true)…. 2.5-3.0 million seems too low and 6.0 million seems too high for PK.

I’d blame both sides.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• HabFab says:

“I’d blame both sides. ”

I see I finally got through to you :)

• Habfan10912 says:

What’s really unfortunate Ben is that we are still talking about the crappy business side of hockey. Of course you’re right, we have no idea what is going on with these negotiations. Most if us don’t give a rats butt either. We just want PK back on the ice.

———————————–

• shiram says:

Gotta agree with this, it’s like 1/23 of our roster is still some limbo/lockout.

• Cal says:

I get the feeling that it will take pressure from Hyundai (that’s Korean for crap) and Nike (that’s American for over-rated and overpriced) , PK’s sponsors to get him to get back to playing hockey. I wonder if that is in his sponsorship deals?

• pottymonster says:

of all the posts today, this is the one i feel it is most important to respond to: cal, have you been inside a 2011+ model hyundai? they ain’t your grandmothers car anymore. they are serious automobiles now.

• Propwash says:

The media reports to me are pure speculation. There is no way both parties are going to divulge any info on who is asking for what term/money.

____________________
        DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Sportfan says:

The other question is there anyone who supports Subban and his agent in this situation? Cause I really don’t think there is.

• K-hab25 says:

There’s quite a few actually. I’m not one of them, but I have been called names by them for not agreeing Subban should get what he wants.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m sure Subban has plenty of supporters.
          I figure once you make a million for one year’s work, you’re in no need of support. Once you make a million from other peoples’ work, you’re in no need of support. So Molson or Subban – not my problem.
          I will assume Subban to be injured, and hope he comes back soon. Whether he is injured by his ego or by his boss is not my business. Let them sort it out and we’ll go from there.

• bwoar says:

Subban is benching himself, period. The GM is offering him millions of dollars to play hockey, he’s not the problem.

2. rnbws.ncronwrcr says:

Folks ‘ere is too ‘motional.
    Team wins – don’t care less Subban be signin’.
    Team loses – Subban be selfish, be ruinin’ me sleep.
    Keep yer ‘earts warm, and yer ‘eads cool.

3. habs001 says:

The Habs had dominant games like yesterday vs the Panters even last year…The key is to have more of these as the roster gets better…Parity in the league is such it does not take a lot of upgrades to be a contender..The last 2 times the Habs made the playoffs they had many poor games in the regular season but they managed to win or get points out of them…last year it did not happen as much…even sat game where they played poorly the difference was the break Kadri received…i remember games in Atlanta and Carolina where they played just as bad and won…But what we are hoping for is much more games like yesterday in the next few years..

4. bwoar says:

Habsrule1:
    “Actually, you shouldn’t really lump blocked shots in with shots that missed the net. Could have been perfect shots. You can’t expect PK to control the other team’s shot blocking, can you?”

I wanted to address this in more detail. Someone asked about PK’s shots hitting the net on the powerplay. I posted misses, blocked shots vs. shots, essentially PK has 400 shot attempts last year, 205 hit the net, he scored 7 times.

MY answer to Habsrule1, is, hell yes you can, and should.

The decision to shoot (or pass, or dump, or whatever) is crucial to possession and scoring on the PP especially. If the shot isn’t likely to get through, pass it to someone who’s in a better position. PK’s got such a telegraph on his point shots that it becomes VERY important to take into account how many are blocked. PK is also a bit of a puckhog (perhaps justifiably so) and so it’s very important to consider what happens when he makes the decision to shoot.

I also want to know if a guy attempts 500 shots and gets 300 on net for 5 goals, or attempts 600 shots, gets 300 on net for 5 goals. That’s a difference of 100 possessions that are usually wasted, where a deft pass may have been a better option than shooting.

• Habsrule1 says:

Well said, but I personally think that sometimes the lane can be totally clear and someone can slide in from nowhere to block it. I find that even when the correct decision is to shoot, it can be blocked, but I know what you’re saying.

I personally do not fault a player every time his shot is blocked, but there are times when shooting is the absolute wrong decision.

• bwoar says:

I agree that sometimes a lane that seemed perfect clear a microsecond ago closes up too. When breaking down these microstats there’s always an overlap between what a player can control and what they can’t. As it relates to Subban, I find it a bit of a negative, since he hesitates so much.

There’s a crafty ex-Kelowna Rocket has a knack for those all-of-a-sudden blocks you mentioned, btw.

• neumann103 says:

Careful there with all this highfalutin’ statistics talk. Much more of this and the Anti-Berkshire crowd might show up with their pitch forks.

If you have to talk math, best keep to the safe subjects like “Should kids be allowed to use graphing calculators on Functions exams?”

You know, the classics.

“Et le but!”

• La Duke 16 says:

I want a guy like Markov that went 2 for 2 last night in shots!!

5. Sportfan says:

Man after yesterdays game I really cant wait for tomorrows game !
    Same lineup right? Also what will happen to Nokia when he’s feeling better haha

6. Say Ash says:

So, Timo is gonna be on a cruiseship in the Carribean, holed up in a little computer room watching Habs streams online?

7. commandant says:

Does Blunden going down mean simply that Nokelainen is healthy?

Or is it a sign they are happy with the 13 fwds on the roster and the Gallys stay for now?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

8. Say Ash says:

How high in the depth chart was Frankie B. during his first stint here?

9. frontenac1 says:

For all the Hockey Pacifists, Never dress Good Ol”Boys in Pink.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GnyTQOrAZs

10. The Dude says:

So Gomer signs for $700k with the Sharks ….if he lights her up the rest o season I’m going to go bobble-neck crazy :)

11. Mattyleg says:

Looking at Tweets about Travis Moen joining Twitter, he seems like a pretty popular guy with current and former teammates!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. munch17 says:

The only way teams can operate now is to have young guys on the roster at fairly low salaries. If PK signs for big bucks now there is no wiggle room with the cap.
    In two years Gionta , Markov , Kaberle will be off the books and there is $$ to sign Subban. Others – we hope – such as Tinordi and Beaulieu will come up and wait for their big payday.
    Occasionally a real star comes along a gets a long term contract early ( Crosby).
    PK hasn’t shown that he is that star.
    I’m very disappointed with his expectations.
    I used to love the guy – now I couldn’t care less – if they trade him get something good in return.
    The team is bigger than he is.

• The Jackal says:

Well, that’s totally like your opinion, dude.

PK may not be at Crosby’s level, but he deserves a long-term contract. It would be best for the team too. What is this BS notion that he is not a team guy?
      Giving him a bridge contract just sets him up for a raise in 2 years. A long-term contract can maybe buy some UFA years and keep him at a good salary for his talent level for many years. One of these days, if he isn’t already, he will be worth more of what he is asking for, and many teams will be willing to sign him for that.
      Don’t get sour on the guy just because he and his agent know his value to the team (and to ANY hockey team).

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• GuyDoon says:

My opinion of PK is changing towards what you said here, munch. Not convinced yet that trading him is the way to go, but as you said, if you must, get something good!

• D Mex says:

He can sign and stay, or he an go. If he goes, pressure’s on MB to get fair value, but there’s no reason to think he won’t come thru.

” The team is bigger than he is. ” : absolutely, couldn’t agree more.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

Aaaah… Miami tomorrow and then Caribbean for a week. Nicccccce.

Can’t say I will miss the Habs or hockey. When I come back, PK better be signed.

14. rhino514 says:

Leblanc with a goal the other night….finally! Wouldn´t it be great to have him OR Gallagher to choose from? I think if healthy they could both complement Galchenyuk.
    Collberg finally getting goals in the supertough elite league.
    Diaz, establishing himself. emelin, subban, gorges, bouillon all play physical, so I think there is definitely room for Diaz.
    Future looks good. And the team on the ice, with Subban, ain´t half bad either.

That PK guy… is he any good?

16. Wintercount says:

re: offer sheets.
    after the acrimonious cba what if the gm’s were read the riot act by the commish/jacobs – ain’t gonna happen, boys.

ex nihilo nihil fit

17. mark-ID says:

Blunden sent down to Hamilton as per Renaud Lavoie

18. La Duke 16 says:

I would like to see Subban signed, but I do have to say how happy I am to have Markov back and have a d-man that can actually hit the net on the power play. Is there a stat how many times Subban hit the net last year on shots? 25%?

19. Chuck says:

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned here, but….

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Wednesday, January 23rd, 2013

BULLDOGS RELEASE MIKE COMMODORE FROM P.T.O.

HAMILTON, ONT – Hamilton Bulldogs General Manager Marc Bergevin announced today that the Bulldogs have released defenceman Mike Commodore from his Professional Try-Out Contract.

Commodore, 33, played 17 games for the Bulldogs recording two assists and 26 penalty minutes.

___________________________________________________

• arcosenate says:

My God, this Bergevin person is releasing everyone, it’s almost as if he’s signing them, just to release them.

Who the hell is next-Gomez?!

The humanity!!!!

• Ron says:

That happened a couple days ago. Either he making some room for another D or didn’t want to reoffer a contract after the 25 games. It was shortly after MB fired the ass’t coach Wilson.

20. Habs_101 says:

With the recent news coming out the Nino Neiderreiter has requested a trade I think there is an excellent trade option available with the Islanders.

They are a low spending team with few ‘superstar’ players and could afford a player like Subban if he was 6+ million I think it is worth exploring options;

possibly…

Eller + Subban + 3rd TO NYI
    for
    Neiderreiter + Hamonic + 1st TO MTL

you have to give to get, Nederreiter could be a steal time will tell, and the jury is still out on Eller (although he is much more established than Nino at this point) Hamonic is a stud, limited offence though.

Potential Lineup;

Max – DD – Cole
    Borrque- Plek – Gio
    Nino – Galch – Gallagher
    Moen – Prust – White/Armstrong

Markov – Emelin
    Gorges – Hamonic
    Boullion – Diaz
    Kaberle/Weber

With Tinordi, Beaulieu and Ellis on D, Kristo, Hudon, Bozon, Collberg on F the pipeline is far from dry, not to mention we would have 2 1sts and 3 2nd’s in 2013 draft! I think a deal like this could set us up as instant 2-3 contenders.

Thoughts?

GO HABS GO!

• arcosenate says:

I wouldn’t trade PK to anyone in the Eastern Conference or sea board.

• mark-ID says:

Don’t know much about Hamonic, but I see he is a pretty big boy.
      I guess he would become that big shutdown guy everyone is looking for. He’s also a right handed shot.

That trade might not be the craziest idea…..especially considering we get a 1st round pick coming back also.

• Habsrule1 says:

There’s no true reason to think Nederreiter will be anything great in the NHL. If we’re trading PK, who by all accounts will be a top 1 or 2 D-Man in the NHL for the next 10-15 years, we need to get WAY more than that in return.

WAY more.

Did I mention WAY?

If not…..WAY!

• Ozmodiar says:

Actually, the value’s pretty fair. Hamonic is still a bit of an unknown, and therefore, underrated.

It breaks down this way:
        Hamonic + 1st for PK
        El Nino for Eller + 3rd

I don’t think I’d do it, but the value seems about right.

• Habs_101 says:

I think the value is fair as well, and I agree I’m not sure I would do it either.

I was merely suggesting I think this is a possibility if we get into a situation where Subban is looking for 6+ million / season.

Trying to keep the trade talk reasonable, while still setting up the habs for future success.

GO HABS GO!

• Habsrule1 says:

PK is a the very least a very good #2 D-Man in the NHL. Hamonic was chosen in the 2nd round, #53 overall in 2008, and has gotten 26 & 24 points in his first 2 years in the NHL. PK has gotten 38 & 36.

I would not do that deal, but I guess I’ve seen worse.

• Habs_101 says:

To clarify again, I am not in favor of trading Subban.

I’m simply trying to propose something that I think is reasonable AND realistic if the habs were in the situation where they NEEDED to explore trade options.

Interested to know what you might propose if it does come to that?

*EDIT; IN addition Subban was selected Rd 2 as well (#43 overall) and career pts are 160GP 21G 55A for 76PTS +2 … 0.47 PPG while Hamonic is 137 GP 8G 44A for 52PTS +10 (ON NYI!!!!) … 0.38 PPG with the 1st round pick (potentially 2 top 5′s for MTL) I do believe the deal is more then fair*

Just trying to spark interesting, respectful speculation

GO HABS GO!

• Habsrule1 says:

Fair enough. On paper, it’s fair, and I don’t know much about Hamonic, but PK is the exciting player this team has lacked for 20 years. That alone is worth something, unless Hamonic is a similar player.

I would still want more. I get the feeling PK’s ceiling is higher based on what I’ve heard.

• dre1744 says:

If that happens Subban can play with his best friend John Tavares!!!!!

• bwoar says:

Not bad at all, actually.

• pmaraw says:

I’ve liked Nino since I saw him dominate against Team Canada! As for P.K. I’m developing a bit of a distaste for him! He tweets that he knows what the fans want in Montreal, well then, why isn’t he playing hockey? not before he gets what he wants i suppose.

• Habsrule1 says:

This kind of talk is just stupid. Would you do your job for less than your co-worker if you did it better?
        I’m tired of waiting, but I don’t blame PK to that extent.
        I think MB owes the fans more than PK does, so I give him most of the blame, followed by Meehan, then PK can take a bit of heat after that if he needs to take some.

• pmaraw says:

whoa whoa whoa, settle down donkey, I just said a bit of a distaste. as it stands I do do my job for less money than a lot of other guys and am way better than them, but they’ve been at our place a lot longer than me. I also take care of my entire shift making them all look better than our opposing shift, I’m a team player kinda guy. I’ve been offered a better job, for more money, but since I drive a guy i work with to work, I dont feel like I can take the better job even tho it’d help myself and my family out because I don’t want to screw over the guy I drive to work out of a job.

• Habsrule1 says:

Donkey? Let’s keep this above a 10 year old level please.
            PK sees players making the money he wants that he feels do less of a good job. Just because you accept that, doesn’t mean he should. I am paid what I believe I’m worth. If I wasn’t I would ask for more or I’d leave. Not because I’m not a “team player” but because if your employer screws you, he’ll believe it’s ok to do. I don’t think PK needs to worry about driving people to work, but if you choose that over what’s best for your family, that’s your call. And if keeping the job you have has minimal effect on your family, and you are satisfied with what you make, that’s great too, but I would not expect you to condemn a co-worker because he felt differently.

I think PK wants to sign but he’s taking his agent’s advice and letting him work out the deal because that’s what he pays him for.

• twilighthours says:

That’s all great. But don’t begrudge people who would choose otherwise.

• pmaraw says:

except he wants to sign at the expense of the team basically handcuffing the team at the cap level, which at this point I’m sure he wants the rest of the cap space for his contract. sorry about the donkey nonsense but you called my opinion stupid.

• The Jackal says:

PK signing is not at the expense of the team, it’s for the benefit of the team.
            He is worth the money, and any player replacing him would be around a similar cap-hit anyway.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Habsrule1 says:

I said that kind of talk is stupid. People can say stupid things without being stupid. My wife says half of what I say is stupid! Damn…maybe she is calling me stupid ;-)
            PK and his agent have to do what they feel is right. Every “star” who signs for 5M-10M are handcuffing their team, but we don’t even know what PK is asking for.
            So, guys have signed for 3M-6M (Price, Pacioretty, Pleks) but PK should take less than what he thinks he deserves so the Habs can save money and sign other players that will get us the Cup? Maybe PK is asking for what will fit under the cap and believes that with the current roster, including him, they have a very good chance at contending.

• canuckbot says:

technically this is PK’s first real contract and he wants a veterans pay. He will get the big bucks the rest of his career if he proves he really is all that. $4.5-5 for 4 years is almost too much but I can swallow it. If he’s still great after 4yrs, then give him Shea Weber money.

• Habsrule1 says:

None of us really know what PK is asking for. All I know is that it’s Meehan & Bergevin’s jobs to get it done.

21. BJ says:

Gomez done for 700K with Sharks

22. Xsteve50 says:

as much as I love PK, if we cannot get him signed today or tomorrow, ship him off to Boston, for Hamilton, and a 2nd round pick…oh, and make him room with Marchand…

23. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Not new news, but Gomez expected to sign today with SJ for $700K – one year.

via TSN

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• Danno says:

Habs had a 90% clearance sale on defective merchandise

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Xsteve50 says:

wish we could have kept him for $700k

• The Cat says:

Worse part is I bet he does well, freed from the contract pressure and with more depth at centre.

• The Jackal says:

Yeah, that contract was killing him – too much pressure.

Not all oysters produce pearls, thankfully, Price is a pearl producing oyster.

• Danno says:

Now he’s going to be getting $700,000 in walking around money on top of his $7.5M. Plus poor Gomer has to put up with year-round golf and never having to scrape his windshield. Must be tough having to cope with that kind of harsh punishment.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• nunacanadien says:

We could unload Pk on the Sharks and with the extra money buyout Luongo, as we all know Molson is just rolling in the dough and doesn’t have to improve the habs cause we’re chasing after Seth Jones! Yes the habs don’t want to win, we want first round draft picks for now…..heck why don’t we just ask the other teams to just give us a big fat goose egg, never mind the lockout, the new CBA should give teams who want first round draft picks the ability to lock themselves out collectively….you know cancel all games and say they lost…..would save us a season of PK conspiracy theories and then we’d all know what Molson really wants.

24. Stormin says:

As much as i wish we had a little more info besides hearsay, I think i find it refreshing that, the negotiations between PK Meehan and MB have mostly been removed from a media battle of proposals and offers. Nobody not even Dreger or Mckenzie really knows what is what in this battle, except PK is an RFA and can sit out the season or accept Canadiens offer. I have some hearsay from Belleville connections and I think Pk is getting bad advice as well as sitting in on Sportsnet during lockout and having all the panel tell him he will get his money , may have warped his perspective a tad.. Oh well Lockout to sitting out all just a game of chicken all over again..

• arcosenate says:

I was a bit put off by the Sportsnet schtick as well. I don’t know the guy obviously but it’s looking alot like PK thinks everything revolves around PK.

I wonder what his colleagues are thinking?

Do they want him back?

Haven’t heard much in that regard…

• BJ says:

A lot of them don’t.

• Danno says:

Maybe the boys think if they play really well without PK they won’t have to ever play with him again and maybe that thought lit a fire under them. Or maybe not…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

• Habsrule1 says:

I actually thought being on TV was a really good thing for PK to be doing. Assuming he was keeping in shape, I respect that much more than I respect an NHL player taking someone else’s job in the AHL or even in Europe.
        It gave us, the fans, an opportunity to get to know PK even better, hence why most of us want the Habs to sign him asap.

• chanchilla says:

i think they were probably asked not to talk about it.

25. arcosenate says:

TRADE ALERT:

VAN sends Luongo and Kesler to

OTT for Neil, Silverberg and Lehner

OTT flips Luongo and Kesler to TOR for

Bozak, Kadri and 1st RD PK

TOR sends Kesler and Luongo to VAN for Neil and Silverberg and Lehner

TOR flips Neil and Silverberg and Lehner to OTT for

Bozak Kadri and TOR 1st RD PK

26. Cal says:

I have to say it’s great to see HIO generating tons of comments again. :)
    I feel like we’ve returned from limbo and are finally arguing about and discussing hockey and, especially, our Habs.

27. H.Upmann says:

Well…. I guess if PK doesn`t sign, we`ll have room for Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and Tinordi when they`re ready.

28. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Also, Diaz takes a bit of an unjustified licking here every once and a while. He’s looking really good to me though.

First goal was generated by him…took a puck off the skate, turned and sprung Gio.

And on the third goal, made a good play to keep it in at the blueline.

He’s not going to be a physical presence like Emelin, but he’s slick and moves the puck. I’m liking him.

29. Say Ash says:

Gallagher with four hits last night, equalling Prust. Awesome.

I just think that PK and agent wanted the big bucks now and not a contract that was a bridge to the next contract.

He is only 23 and lots of time in his career to make a lot of money. Plus just look at the young talent that we will have to have available cap money for in the next 3 years.

Spreading the cap out properly over the next few years will be very important in order to retain all the bright young stars coming up. Only then can this franchise move up to the top levels of the NHL. Marc Bergevin has a long term plan for team success me thinks.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Timo says:

And looks like this plan does not involve PK Subban. No matter what people say I firmly believe that Therrien negative opinion re PK (without having coached him a single day) plays a big role in the current situation.

GM and coach (at least from what they tell us) do not work in isolation.

I don’t have a good feeling about the situation and if PK is dealt I fear it will be another Halak-Eller type of deal.

• Ian Cobb says:

PK is going to have to take the clubs offer, or sit out the year as far as the NHL is concerned. Sometimes you just have to eat a little CROW and swallow your pride.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• mrhabby says:

disagree about this supposed negative opinion of Subban…do we know, does anybody?

its simply a GM low balling a player and the player wanting more.

• Stormin says:

Damn you Timo,, I cant stop making paper airplanes, and farting the airplanes are your fault the farting is a bean chilly issue.

Who Farted, shit did you see how far that paper airplane went….

• bwoar says:

I have doubts on your Therrien/PK theory, strictly because Bergevin’s moves need to be calculated on a larger timescale. Therrien will likely not coach the Habs for more than 2-3 years. Bergevin has to think at least 5 years straight through.

I think a rookie GM would be playing with his career by letting a coach’s bias get in the way of his own strategy for dealing with a star #1 defenseman. Still – it may be the case. If you’re right, we are supremely f—-d.

• nunacanadien says:

Ya that’s right, we lose this season under Therrien and not sign Subban, then we get Seth Jones and in a few years Bergevin can buy out their contracts so the Sharks can get new improved players…all the while not helping the team one bit.

• Cal says:

Timo, you haven’t had a good feeling about the Habs since June 1993. ;)

• Timo says:

And was I wrong once?

• nunacanadien says:

Timo called Gainey like he was, and Gauthier, but sadly everyone thinks Bergevin is helping when all he’s doing is rubber stamping the continued demise of the habs…..I say Bergevin is just another Gainey/Gauthier type. That’s all the habs will ever have until they are actually owned by a person, not a committee.

• derfab says:

I think PK is on pretty solid ground. This is fun but it is not and will never be a legitimate season, no matter how many excited spins from the greedy and the parade deprived. He could stay home and start over for real in August without missing much. It is great to see them all back at it but important to remember that the owners certainly did not put the team first.

31. Ghosts of the Forum says:

What’s this about the torch before every game? Is that actually happening?

Everyone played well last night…even Kaberle (???)

Been impressed with Boullion, he’s a solid depth guy. And seeing White step in for Gorges…great stuff. Gallagher is going to be a favourite for sure. Love the energy!!

Moving Diaz on the PP with Marky was clearly a great move. Kaberle and Markov are too similar in their PP styles, better to spread them out.

• nunacanadien says:

impresses the hell out of the ownership committee, only time they ever get together to actually plan the next time our heroes get to pass the torch. that’s all we’ll get as the ownership committee couldn’t care less if there was a cup to actually have as the backdrop to this torch passing ceremony…..

32. shiram says:

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs
    Had a nice 2nd-intermission visit w/ #Habs Lars Eller. Fine kid, stiff upper lip. He’ll be ready & then some when he returns to lineup

Really enjoy the close proximity to the player that Stubbs grants us.

33. Colomb27 says:

So, does he stay up with the big club or head back to Sarnia?

34. bwoar says:

Hobie-
    Re: Bryan Allen – I never considered that approach, you’re right. Armstrong and Boullion = 2.5m. Another mil and we’d have Allen over Boullion (and probably Blunden over Armstrong.)

And then Therrien would have no ‘friends’ in the locker room.

Still throws the salary scale out of whack, though. We’ll never know if maybe the guy didn’t want to play in Montreal, either.

Notwithstanding all the minutes Cube played last night, I’d have to take Allen over Boullion & Armstrong.

• frontenac1 says:

Agree ,Homeboy Allen would have been a great deal at $3.5mill.
      The cube was only signed for 1 yr however. That might have been the rub. Allen was looking for 3 to 5yrs.

35. commandant says:

An offer sheet doesn’t make sense against Montreal. It never has.

I did a complete history of all NHL offer sheets ever made in the summer (all those that were matched and not matched)… and one thing is very clear.

Teams look for 1 of two things.

1) A team with limited revenues and cash flow. They then front load the offer to discourage matching, and make it hard for the team to raise the funds necessary (see Weber and Philly).
    2) A team with cap issues (see Hjarlmasson and Chicago).

Montreal is a team with huge revenue streams…. and with an amnesty buyout sitting in their back pocket.

This isn’t the ideal time for any team to offer sheet PK Subban. All you’d do is make Bergevin’s work easier for him (match the offer sheet), while angering a club with the fiscal ability to really screw with you on an offer sheet in the summer of 2014 when Gionta, Markov, Kaberle, are all Free Agents and significant cap space was cleared….

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• bwoar says:

Agreed with you an all points. In spite of that, If I’m Lombardi in LA, I’d still be doing the math, at least.

• Ozmodiar says:

True, but there’s always a chance that Montreal doesn’t match.

For example, let’s say a team offers a 7 year deal @ $6M per. MB might think that’s too rich and decide to take the 2 1st rounders + 2nd and 3rd.

Likely won’t happen, but if the stalemate continues….

• ABHabsfan says:

However if Mtl takes the picks that would give us 2 1sts, 4 2nds and 3 3rds plus 2 1sts in 2014. That is plenty of ammo to trade for other high-quality d-men. If Mtl does not end up with #1 overall, whoever does could very well trade their pick for 2 other 1sts or even a 2nd thrown in. Then you have Seth Jones for PK, plus and additional 1st and 3rd. Who would make that deal?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

36. HammerHab says:

Seeing as nobody was able to answer my question asking if Eller had ever been a healthy scratch before why don’t we all agree to see how he responds to a being a healthy scratch before passing judgement on MT’s method. If he’s always had the “pat on the back” approach (which apparantly has not worked) perhaps the “kick in the ass” approach will be effective. Only one way to find out!

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

37. shiram says:

Sit Armstrong, put Prust back on the 4th, have Eller center the 2 Gallys, #27 can take the draws if Eller is thrown out!
    Is anyone really gonna miss Armstrong?
    Does Nokelainen make the lineup when he is healthy?

• bwoar says:

I don’t hate your idea, but I’m still kinda partial to keeping #27 at centre for now.

• shiram says:

He’s had good success in Sarnia on the wing, so I would not mind him getting some time there.
        It worked for Seguin.

• bwoar says:

All true, though Seguin has mostly stayed a winger in the NHL in the end.

I don’t think Therrien will mess with Prust-Gally27-Gally73 though. I don’t think I would, either.

• Habsrule1 says:

I like that idea shiram. If it doesn’t work at all, you can just switch Prust back with Eller and you would have at least tried it.

I think Eller on the 3rd line could work and so far Armstrong is one of very few Habs who have not impressed me (understanding it’s only 2 games in).

• chanchilla says:

i like this idea as well, but don’t think MT will bench armdog.

38. remi_10069 says:

Habs looked like they were trying last night. All lines looked good. Florida was tired and their goalie let in 2 bad ones so, not quite time to pop the champagne but at least they pounded a team they should pound. Looking forward to Thursday, will be nice to go into Washington and smoke the caps

pipes

How are things on LoonieInsideOut today?

40. Habsrule1 says:

Did I read some saying Cole or DD should sit?
    I say watch the game again….without any love for Eller clouding things. Not sure who should sit to get eller back in the top 9, but it’s definitely not one of those 2.

• shiram says:

That line improved form saturday’s game, but clearly they are not where they were last season.
      They seem to not know very well where on the ice their line-mates are.
      They looked good on the PP though.
      With all that said, I would not bench any of those guys.

• arcosenate says:

Pacioretty is just snake bit, he had ample opportunity last night to score, and he probably will score against Washington.

• commandant says:

He also had 2 assists last night…..

Sure they were secondary assists, but it shows his line was on the ice.

Cole standing in front of the net was important on the Markov goal.

DD and Patches work to keep pucks in on the PPs were also important.

Its not just the goal scorer who does all the work, other players on the ice helped make it happen.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• shiram says:

It’s on ES time that I thought they looked not so good.

• Ozmodiar says:

I seem to recall #67 setting up Markov (directly) on one of his goals.

• commandant says:

Agreed with Shiram, they werent great at ES, (though Cole hit the post on a wide open net that should have been an ES goal). And I know Shiram isn’t saying to bench any of them. However we can acknowledge they were on the ice for 2 PP goals. Are those who have advocated benching them doing so because they expect the entirety of next game to be 5 on 5 with no need for good play on the PP anymore?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Sakus Evil Twin says:

So long as his level of snakebit doesnt escalate to Chris Higgins proportions.

Just sayin’

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• mrhabby says:

agree..benching a vet like Cole ..laughable to say the least.

• bwoar says:

It’s unrealistic to sit those guys, but neither has distinguished themselves on the ‘top’ line. If there’s “NO EXCUSES” then they’d better pick it up in a hurry.

From a realistic perspective, I’d consider sitting Moen, and shifting White to the wing if it’s absolutely necessary to re-integrate Eller at this time. That said I think Moen’s still better on the PK and 4th line minutes ain’t gonna do much for Eller.

Frankly if it’s tough for guys to crack the lineup, we oughta be in find shape. Let’s see how the team does against some top competition.

• Habsrule1 says:

I know I chuckled a bit. Funny thing is HH used to be the whipping boy, didn’t he?

Oops..this should be above with the HH/Loonie fight.

41. arcosenate says:

Anyone notice that Eller wasn’t in the lineup last night?

42. C-Sword says:

They played well last night, but don’t get too excited, they beat a team that played 3 games in 4 nights with the last 2 being back to back. If Bourque can keep playing like he did in the first 2 games, Pleks’ line will soon become number 1. I still believe that with d-men like Diaz, Kaberle and Weber, the Habs will be having a hard time against teams that can carry the puck into our zone without dumping it in.

• Loonie says:

If Diaz continues to play at the level he is and the team continues to win. Bergevin should give consideration to picking up a big physical defenseman to supplant Kaberle in the lineup.

Or if Subban comes back Kaberle should be the 7th man.

We agree!
        I knew it would happen ;-)

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’ve said it 100 times but it’s just so painful. How in the hell did Bergevin not sign one of the four or five, stay-at-home defensemen that were sitting there available on July 1st.

Everyone was speculating that Bryan Allen was going to go for $4 or $4.5 million, which would be too much. He ended up going for $3.5. i saw him on the Ducks blueline the other night and he looked pretty damn good.

Sheldon Brookbank would be a slight downgrade on Allen but he’d be an upgrade on Boullion or kaberle and he was available heading into July 1st.

• Loonie says:

I said it quite a bit too. Glad you escaped the stigma of being a Bergevin hater though.

• Hobie Hansen says:

That is the only thing that surprises/upsets me about Bergevin to this point. Things are looking great for the future but I think that one move I’m talking about could have taken us from a bubble team to a playoff team.

And everyone from a casual fan to all the hockey analysts saw that hole, clear as day. And we wouldn’t have had to mortgage the future or spend a ton of dough to fill it.

• Ozmodiar says:

We don’t know an offer wasn’t made.
            We don’t know if Allen wanted to come to Montreal.

Also, they’re pretty close to the cap as it is…then there was the CBA thing.

• bwoar says:

Hobie I agree with you, but to pay a guy 3.5m for that role would seriously mess with the salary scale on the team. That’s pretty close to Gorges money. If you give Bryan Allen 3.5, what do you have to dish out for Subban? It’s part of what a GM needs to take into account.

We’ll just have to wait for Tinordi, I guess.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I haven’t crunched the number down to the penny but i thought there was enough room at the time, before signing Armstrong and Boullion, to have signed Allen to that contract.

• Blondie says:

The sooner Kaberle is removed from the roster the happier I’ll be.

We have too many non-physical defencemen, and one too many who is an absolute nightmare in his own zone. We also have too many centers. It can’t be that hard to package Markov with a center, hate to say it but probably Eller, and get a large stay-at-home defenceman that can clear the crease and knock heads when necessary.

• Habsrule1 says:

Markov isn’t going anywhere.
          Half of our woes in the last 2 years was largely due from not having him. Now that he’s back you want to trade him?
          I don’t think so.

• Blondie says:

?? I didn’t say anything about Markov – love the guy!

Edit: Just spotted it, I meant Kaberle. Sorry about that.

43. tippytoes says:

I havn’t seen anything about Colby Armstrong that Mike Blubden can’t do. Blunden is younger, faster and bigger

44. Lix says:

Anyone else here want to trade Leblanc to Islanders for Neiderreiter asap?

• chanchilla says:

why? is trading for him magically going to open up a spot for him to play with the big club?

• Lix says:

Not sure why that matters. I think Neiderreiter is highly underrated by the Isles and the Habs highly overrate Leblanc. Long term I think Nino is a much better all around player.

• chanchilla says:

I think you overrate neiderreiter, don’t forget he plays for the islanders, leblanc would look much better there too.

• Lix says:

??

Neiderreiter hasn’t done squat for the Islanders yet. Do you watch hockey? My only point is that I like his size and skillset more than Louie’s mainly because I think he brings much more “grit”.

• commandant says:

So why are the Islanders making this trade?

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• chanchilla says:

i do watch hockey, neiderreiter was leading rookies in scoring for the better part of 20-30 games in his rookie season.

• Lix says:

You might want to start walking that back chanchilla.

Do some homework.

• chanchilla says:

included the preseason in this, 20 games was a stretch.

• Habsrule1 says:

Leading rookies in the AHL?
            I’d still hold on to Leblanc, at least for a while.
            Weber & Nokie? There’s your trade right there!

• bwoar says:

In a heartbeat, but Garth Snow isn’t that crazy.

• Lix says:

Crazy enough to not invite him to training camp as was the case with Leblanc. If I had a motto it would be “watch what the Islanders do and then do the opposite”.

• bwoar says:

That’s a good motto. I suspect Nino was left in the AHL for the same reasons that PIT left Fleury there previously. All about the salary/cap numbers. There’s little question in my mind that he’s a notch or two better than Leblanc, though. I won’t make that deal from Snow’s perspective & I suspect Isles fans would shout you down mercilessly.

I’d consider Subban for Nino and all their 2013 draft picks! :D

• Habsrule1 says:

I would not make that trade. In 64 NHL games, Neiderreiter has 3 points. In 42, Leblanc has 10, and they are about the same age.
      I’d hold onto Leblanc for a bit.

45. BrianSkrudland says:

I hope that I misinterpreted what you were insinuating, Ian.

——–
    Use it up, use it all up / Don’t save a thing for later, yeah / If there’s music out there laying in wait / To pounce and drain every ounce if you wait or hesitate, yeah
    TRAGICALLY HIP – USE IT UP

According to practise lines today, Eller still outside looking in.

• Propwash says:

If it ain’t broke…

____________________
      DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Loonie says:

That idea has always been hilarious to me. If you’re winning without a necessary element to your lineup do you ignore it and take your chances? Teams that do that eventually lose.

That would be like giving Budaj three straight starts even if he gave up 10 goals in the first two and won both.

• chanchilla says:

if he gave up 10 goals in 2 games that would be considered broken… to me anyways…

• Cal says:

Is Eller a necessary element?
          Actually, I would like to see Eller and the Gallys to see what would come of it. That would be like Risebrough, Tremblay and Lambert with a lot more talent.

• Loonie says:

I liked that he had Prust with the kids last night but Florida isn’t exactly a bruising team, were obviously playing their third in four nights and Therrien had last change. I think last night’s third line makes more sense on the road against a tougher team than it does at home against a tired squad.

Happy about the win, but worried about the future with Eller.

• Propwash says:

One way or the other a team is going to lose a game. But, if you have a line that is working, why break it up to accommodate someone who was judged to be lacking in intensity?

____________________
          DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Habsrule1 says:

I guess that makes sense, but I feel a little bad for Eller. The only way he gets back in is probably on the 4th line right now.
      If Galchenyuk or Gallagher go back to Hamilton, Eller gets his chance I guess.

Go Habs Go!!

Jeff Woywitka on waivers from St. Louis, needed to make room for Redden.

48. shiram says:

So apparently Ribeiro was annoyed last night and his shenanigans were costly for his team. Seems he was the victim of 2 uncalled high stickings and he spent all game giving it to refs, untill he got an unsportsmanlike penalty, leading to more chirping untill he got a misconduct…

49. Dr.Rex says:

I dont like this comment.

• Ian Cobb says:

It was meant in jest my friend, The foolish code guy Laraque would ask for a fight, but White needed no permission to do the right thing.! I could see pairing up with White.

50. BJ says:

How much more time will Bergevin give Subban before he shops him? Too bad its come to this. One concern I have is how he will be perceived in the room if and when he returns? I just read from a well informed journalist that a player was commenting on how focused and quiet the dressing room was before last nights game. No loud music just pure focus, it sound like a dressing room rather than a country club.

51. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Dear lord. I can’t keep it in any longer…

I think there is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too muh being read into Ellers “benching” last night… Does anyone REALLY believe that MT’s lines were set in stone after a one week training camp and one bad game against Toronto?

I would bet the farm that Eller is back in against Ovi.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• shiram says:

I was actually going to make a sarcastic “trade Eller” post, but seeing as there were a few serious ones I abstained from it.

• chanchilla says:

i never really liked or disliked eller as a player, MTs plan worked…soo…if it ain’t broke.

• Loonie says:

No. Therrien’s team played well enough to win convincingly. If the plan was to get a win by sitting Eller, yeah I suppose it worked. But the second part of that plan better include a way to give Eller some confidence going forward, or the plan will have failed.

• chanchilla says:

Eller has never really played up to anything more than a third line center, granted, he hasn’t always been given the opportunity to do much more. He’s been great on the third line, but hasn’t done anything to prove himself as more than that.

• Loonie says:

He’s a 23 year old first round pick.

Expecting second line numbers from a third line centre playing with fourth line wingers is unrealistic.

He hasn’t had the opportunity to produce offensively at a consistent level. Period. No, but he had a game with Gomez and Gionta. No, period.

If he needs to demonstrate consistency in order to develop and earn a bigger role and realize his potential, then he needs to be given an opportunity to become consistent. He hasn’t had that at all since being with the Habs.

I wouldn’t normally reference one game and am hesitant to do it because his body of work as a hockey player is impressive in my opinion. But borderline NHL players don’t have four goal games and don’t demonstrate the skills that he has regularly.

If others on the team are going to be given an opportunity to make mistakes and bounce back without getting the shaft, Eller should too. And if there’s going to be tinkering with the lineup go get time for young players I have a newsflash, Eller’s one of those young players and shouldn’t be scratched just so that Colby Armstrong can stay in the lineup.

• Loonie says:

I think you’ve been ignoring how big of a deal it must be to Eller himself. You may not care or see the flaw in the logic, but I’m sure he does.

Everybody came in with a new coach(Markov notwithstanding) and a clean slate. They had a six day camp and one game, Eller gets benched for a lack of intensity. He wasn’t sat down and coached, he was scratched. That’s the easy way out. To get the desired play from a guy you have to tell him what you need, if he doesn’t respond to that, bench him. But that didn’t happen here.

Eller has the pressure of being acquired for Halak, has unrealistic expectations of him in the role he’s playing and was bad mouthed by Therrien on television last year apparently. So put yourself in his shoes for a minute. Coach comes in with preconceived notions about you, doesn’t give you an opportunity beyond the first game to make adjustments, just scratches you.

Being sent out of the lineup is humiliating at any level, even more so at the NHL level with millions of fans watching the team’s every move.

And at the end of the day this is the second time it’s been done with Eller. Hopefully he doesn’t sour on the team.

But I can assure you this isn’t something players just shrug off.

• bwoar says:

Eller was thoroughly coached, though. It’s simple: “If you play lackadaisical hockey, you’ll watch from the press gallery.”

That’s great coaching. This isn’t junior B, it’s the best league in the world. There’s always someone willing to take your place (and guess what, it’s happening.) I’d love to hear *your* suggestions for how you ‘coach’ a lack of intensity.

Ellers’ benching also sends the *correct* message to the team, consistent with the coach’s assertions previous to the season.

Desharnais, Cole & Kaberle, hope you’re taking notes on this!

• Loonie says:

No. Eller was sent to the pressbox after one game where he had plenty of company in the lackluster play department.

That’s not great coaching in my opinion. That’s lazy.

Coaching would have been telling the player if he didn’t play better in the second game that he would be sitting the third.

• bwoar says:

How about telling a player that if they’re lazy in game 1, they won’t play game 2? Isn’t that the point?

• Loonie says:

If that were the case it would be singling out that player and ignoring the play of the rest of the group. So to answer your question, I think that statement would be coaching, but it would be bad coaching.

If collective accountability is the goal it can’t fall on the shoulders of one player.

• Sakus Evil Twin says:

See that’s it. I don’t believe that Eller was benched for his ‘lack of intensity’ – that’s just rationalization to feed the dramatic masses. He sat out so that MT could get a look at 27 at center and Gally on his wing. I’m sure that this will have been communicated to Eller, who appears to be very bit the team guy…

We’ll see Eller back on Thursday…

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• Cal says:

You don’t know what Therrien has said or not said to Eller. You are assuming an awful lot. We aren’t in the room and are not privy to what the coach says or how he behaves.
        For the moment, Eller is sitting. Therrien mentioned intensity when asked by the media about it.
        That’s all we can say for sure.

52. Dr.Rex says:

Game 2 random thoughts?

1) They won as a team last night just as they lost as a team Saturday. This shows how close the room is. :)
    2) Besides the obvious of Markov, Galchenyuk and Price I also thought Diaz, Prust, Boullion, Gorges and Bourque had strong games considering their roles.
    3) Kaberle was still kinda pathetic and Therrien did well to limit his minutes to 12.
    4) Still puzzled that Gorges gets a penalty for a open ice hit in the 1st and Parros escapes instigator then in the 3rd Fleichman escapes penalty but White gets tossed for instigating. Strange.
    5) I think Blunden can offer something on our 4th line right now. WOnt hurt to throw him in soon.

53. chanchilla says:

Detroits defence are dropping like flies, rumour has it theyre gonna give pk an offer sheet

54. Habfan10912 says:

Glad to see Emelin make Loonie’s other thoughts. I would have put him in my “loves” though. As Tom said, he’s turned into a solid top pair dman.

———————————–

• Timo says:

Now now… it’s been 2 games. Last season he started to fizzle a bit towards the end. Mind you, since this season is short he might just hold up all the way. I do like how he played so far though… lots of crunching.

• SteverenO says:

Bump;;

Too early to tell how Therrien, or team will do this year. The only thing we know for certain is that Gomez will no be on the PP and that is GUARANTEED to make our powerplay more effective.

it seem like our penalty killing is not the greatest, but that could be because our best penalty killing defenceman from last year has been absent in that role.

Who is up for a little game of Guess Who?

We are looking by the Canadiens most effective penalty killer from last season. The clue is that he is a defenseman.

The team averaged one PP goal against for every 40 minutes of time that he was on the ice in penalty killing situations.

If you are thinking Hal Gill, no that’s incorrect.
      P.K Subban? he`s got the initials for it ,but no, its not him either.
      Subban average was one powerplay goal against per every 18 minutes of penalty kill time.
      The guy I am talking about is still on our roster and in fact has been used extensively on the PowerPlay in the first two games this year, and no, its not Andre Markov.

The correct answer is none other than Raphael Diaz.

It seems like he can be effective on the power play and I have no problem with seeing him getting some PP duty. What I don’t understand is why not a single member of the coaching staff has done their homework. There is no legitimate explanation , (that I can think of) why Diaz was not our number one Penalty Killing defenceman to start the season.

Happy season and regards to all.

Steve O.

The new side POLL.– Does fighting still belong in the NHL.??

I say yes! just no hits to the head!

Staged fights? No.

Fights that happen due to cheap shots….yes. If the officiating were better and the players delivering the cheap shots received five minute majors I don’t think we’d see these reactionary fights nearly as often as we do now.

But if that ever happens it will be the time to eliminate fighting, until it does, it’s needed.

• ABHabsfan says:

All body-shots? Kinda weird

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• B says:

Let them fight, but the players should have to wear full face protection on properly strapped on helmets. Give a small penalty like a roughing for fighting, but give very stiff fines and penalties for taking off your helmet. This allows for spur of the moment competitive and/or angry reactions but may make the staged fights moot.

edit: As a minimum (for injury prevention) the players should all have to all wear visors and properly tighten the straps on their buckets. I remember when they didn’t have to wear helmets at all, but it makes a lot of sense to me that they are required to now.

–Go Habs Go!–

56. habs-hampton says:

I think one big difference from last year, is that the guys played 60 minutes, and most of it in Florida’s end. They never took the foot off the gas. I couldn’t handle last year watching the team trying to hold a 1-goal lead for 30 minutes. Thankfully, that was JM’s system, not MT’s.

• Loonie says:

Staying fairly aggressive after getting a lead is the way this team should play with a goalie like Price in net. Rely on him to make saves when you need them and he’s going to help you stay ahead much more often than not.

The Caps game tomorrow night will be very telling. They’re desperate for a win.

• helluva habs fan says:

Bingo! As long as you’re commited to skating back hard, there’s nothing wrong with staying aggressive. Especially if it’s been working all along.

• helluva habs fan says:

Damn right! Had a phone conversation after the game with my father and we discussed this very same topic. I never understood the “let the other team get the puck, skate down the ice and try to score” philosophy of protecting a lead.

• shiram says:

I don’t know which coach said it, but it went along the lines of : ” I don’t like that, trying to protect the lead, we’re trying to extend the lead”.
      Great attitude right there.

• SteverenO says:

Who is up for a little game of Guess Who?

If you are thinking Hal Gill, no that’s incorrect.
      P.K Subban? he`s got the initials for it ,but no, its not him either.

The correct answer is none other than Raphael Diaz.

regards to all.
      Steve O.

• B says:

I remember Martin responding to a question about sitting back and trying to protect a lead. He made it clear that that is not what the team is asked to do, it is something the players tend to do on their own in such situations and the coaches find it just as frustrating as the fans. They want the team to continue to press and not drop back or change their game style, but it just happens regularly and not only with the Habs. It was not Martin’s “system” to play that way with a lead, but it is fair to say he failed to get his team not to change how they play late in a game with a lead (although he is not the only coach to have that problem).

–Go Habs Go!–

57. Wintercount says:

what a kick it w be to get eller going, it can be done. if therrien is a good coach he’ll want to be judged on that.
    that is the bottom line.

ex nihilo nihil fit

58. CCL says:

I’d say it’s between Eller and White who sits on the 4th line. the lineup they had last night looked good. all four lines were working. not saying they won’t lose games but. I’d leave it the way it is and see how we do.
    I don’t know but Eller has not impressed me since he’s been with the Habs. he had one good game last year that’s all I remember. at times he shows flashes. maybe they don’t have good enough wingers for him.
    Galchenyuk is the center to keep.

• Ian Cobb says:

Your correct CCL, but he is still very young in his development, sometimes kids have to sit and watch and think about bringing there A game each shift to stay in the Bigs..

• CCL says:

Ian: if they decide to send Gallagher back down. Eller maybe a good fit on the wing with Prust and Galchenyuk. like you said it takes time and I hope it works out for him. seems like a good kid.

• Strummer says:

I still think if he has some skilled wingers Eller can be more effective offensively.
      If you recall last season he had decent output with AK and Moen before the injuries decimated that line.

Prust fills the pugilist role- i think one is enough per game- which he showed Saturday by taking on a heavyweight in Brown.

White has no offensive potential so he should sit unless they play the Bruins or Flyers.
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

59. BrianSkrudland says:

Anyone know where I can find video footage of last night’s 3-Stars hitting the ice in front of the Bell Centre crowd?

I’m a big wuss for that sort of thing.
    ———–

Use it up, use it all up
    Don’t save a thing for later, yeah
    If there’s music out there laying in wait
    To pounce and drain every ounce if you wait or hesitate, yeah

TRAGICALLY HIP – USE IT UP

60. nek25plus says:

Last nights win should only prove how much we need to keep PK Subban, the youth of this team are the future. Imagine…adding another exiting player and not the… add one, subtract one mentality. : )’

Isn’t Bergevin and Meehan supposed to meet today? I remember reading somewhere that something was scheduled for Wed.

62. aroma says:

Something tells me that a number of posters here may disagree with calling TSN neutral. Many across the country are fond of referring to TSN as the “Toronto Sports Network”. They didn’t earn that nickname for nothing.

63. Hobie Hansen says:

One thing I have to say about Ryan White, besides I absolutely love the guy, is that he’s playing with a bit of fire.

I loved how he jumped in last night but that’s the second or third time I’ve seen him start throwing hay-makers on an unsuspecting player. That is borderline suspension territory and there’s also the chance a real enforcer is going to take note of this pattern and really clean his clock.

I realize if White had challenged Fleischmann he’d probably of ran for the hills but to just start throwing wild hay-makers when the other guy hasn’t dropped his gloves is a bit cheap.

I’d rather White do what he did than do nothing but he’s either going to get suspended or beat up badly if it continues.

• Loonie says:

White’s probably aware of your theory and is willing to accept the consequences if it’s the result of somebody doing something like Fleischmann did last night.

Edit: Also, White hesitated before throwing his first punch and gave Fleischmann an opportunity to defend himself. Something Fleishmann didn’t do for Gorges on the hit.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Like i said, I’m glad he did it.

Prust and White are both crazy! They will often give up many inches in a fight but they’ll fight anybody.

I think it’s going to be an absolute slug fest when we play Boston the first time.

Can’t wait!

• helluva habs fan says:

He could have hit him more times before he was grabbed too, but held up when Fleischmann turtled.

• habs-hampton says:

If you slam a guy into the boards from behind, then you better not be “unsuspecting”.

• B says:

Remember Laraque’s code of politely asking the other guy if he would like to fight and just skating away when the other guy (like Lucic) replies “no thank-you”?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Kage says:

When this happened during the game my first thought was that it speaks volumes about how highly regarded Gorges is in the Habs locker room. The immediate reaction by White was the type of reaction usually reserved if you take a cheap shot at a teams captain/leader.

I think White would do this for all his teammates, but to me the fact it was Gorges seemed to intensify his response.
      ———————————————————-
      “I need players who hate to lose!”

64. HammerHab says:

Does anyone know how many times Eller has been a healthy scratch in his NHL career?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

Only two games in and some people want to trade Subban and/or Eller, with both players only being 23 years of age with just two years of NHL experience. Insanity.

As for Nino Niederreiter, he hasn’t done much since being an all-star in the WJC. You have to believe that the Isles would like a mulligan on that pick.

As for the team, nothing has really changed after two games. Carey Price is still the franchise.

• Loonie says:

I think we share the same concern.

I’m tickled about the win but worry about the treatment of some players.

Nazem Kadri, who is probably going to become a star said it best last night. He has confidence. I think it’s fair to say that Carlyle reassuring him that he was going to stick with him was a big part of that. Novel concept.

• HammerHab says:

he’s done nothing because the Islanders didn’t do what was in his best interest. They kept him up from junior when he should have been sent down, then they relegate him to the 4th line all year. The kid has talent, he just needs to be in the right environment and is showing in the AHL that he can put up points. I’d love Nino on this team.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Loonie says:

So he’s near exactly like Eller then……weird how that works.

• HammerHab says:

as a player yes, except he’s a natural LWer where we are shallow in depth. but Montreal did not keep him up from junior and did not relegate him to 4th line duty all year.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Loonie says:

I was referring to their treatment.

• HammerHab says:

So was I with my 2nd part. They were not treated the exact same. Eller has 100 more NHL games under his belt and has shown he can at least be a good 3rd line player. Nino is at a different point developmentally in his career. Keeping him up from junior was a huge mistake on NYI’s part. Keeping him in the AHL is not akin to being a healthy scratch. I don’t see the similarities.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Loonie says:

Putting a good young prospect in a checking role with little offensive help and expecting offensive production.

That’s the similarity.

• HammerHab says:

These days the 3rd line is hardly a checking line anymore. If anything it’s a hybrid of an offensive/checking/shut down line.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

Did officiating suck last night or did it suck? Holy crap… did refs think it is a timbits game? And I don’t just mean Habs penalties… Panthers got a couple of pretty pathetic calls as well. More things change more they stay the same. What a shit show.

• shiram says:

It’s been like this for all 3 games I watched.
      I think the refs were told to keep a tighter control on the game or it’s just start of the season zeal.

• Timo says:

And it will all go to hell mid way through… same story every freaking year. The penalty Gorges got for hit on Perros was the most ridiculous call I’ve seen a long time.

• helluva habs fan says:

That was a bad call. It only looked like a knee because of how Parros fell, but clearly he sort of tumbles over Gorges’s shoulder.
          I was watching the Fox Florida broadcast and the joke biased announcers refused to see it that way, even after 3 super clear slow motion replays.
          They also made a point of how if only Ryan White knew what a standup nice guy Fleischmann was, he never would have hit him like that. Didn’t even acknowledge the hit from behind.

• HammerHab says:

As long as they’re consistent I’m relatively happy. If one team gets a bunch of bad calls while the other team gets away with murder that is a problem.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• habs-hampton says:

If the Habs had lost, this forum would be going nuts! Yeah, it was awful. I know the refs haven’t worked in 8-9 months, but they better get back in shape soon!

• Strummer says:

If you follow Kerry Fraser’s “Ask the Ref” he said the officials had their own camp after the lockout and were told to crack down – i.e. Plec’s snow shower on Saturday night on Scrivens.

We’ll see if it prevails.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• B says:

The refs have not been in an NHL game since last season, they did not work overseas or in the AHL. As with many of the players, you can see the rust. It can be frustrating but its not really unexpected.

–Go Habs Go!–

67. kirbhabs says:

It is true Florida was coming off 3 games in 4 nights and have a couple injuries, but we did not just win, we completely outplayed them. I think that is a good sign of a decent team.

Diaz played well, and if/when Subban comes back and Kaberle is dropped to 7 Dman… we are that much better.

For me Desharnais was the weak link, Cole and Pacs could do nothing as Desharnais was flopping around on the ice as he was constantly being checked. His little twist moves to avoid the check was not working. I am not convinced it is rust, I think other teams better forecheckers are targeting him and it is working. Personally, I would like to see Eller given a 5 game chance with Cole and Pacs to see if he can be successful… can you imagine if we actually had a big body line. That would be interesting for me. If not trade him and weber for something.

Prust and the kids, brilliant. Their personalities will keep the energy up and the Kids skill will keep the puck in the O zone. Plus Prust is a good puck handler and knows he just has to pass to someone, and he did that well last night. Prust puck handling really surprised me last night, plus shaking off that 1st shift injury, this guy is gold. A definite leader by example.

68. JF says:

I thought Therrien’s coaching was excellent last night. He made some great decisions – putting Prust with the two Gallys, giving Galchenyuk increased powerplay time when we were ahead (see Commandant’s excellent post below), and others. I also loved how he stood and pumped each player’s fist as they filed off the ice.

69. Loonie says:

Mr. Night & Day Therrien.

Makes some moves away from the rink that are genius, makes some that are completely stupid.

And again on the ice, more ying and yang.

Love:

1. Coming out of tv timeouts with the fourth line. They’ve done a good job of setting the pace for the rest of the lineup and it’s been very smart to keep coming back with them after breaks.

2. Galchenyuk on the powerplay when it was clear the Panthers were mailing in the game. Good to see that development is still on his mind after scratching Eller last night.

3. Diaz’s role on the powerplay. First game Diaz got five excellent shots off. Last night it was clear that he can provide a very nice presence on the powerplay with his “elite” passing and isn’t a one dimensional threat like Kaberle. Diaz also made a great play that setup the first goal. Takeaway off the rush in the defensive zone, immediate pass to Gionta catching the Panthers sleeping. The first goal of the game was as much because of Diaz as anyone else.

4. White not hesitating. The check from behind on Gorges absolutely deserved the treatment White gave. This is the kind of hit that should incite retaliation. And not to seem too biased but the hit Gorges put on Parros was the precise kind of hit that shouldn’t result in a fight. Where were the officials when Gorges got jumped after that one?

5. Price’s play. It’s hard to believe he didn’t play during the lockout, he looks like he’s in mid season form.

6. The traffic in front of the net. Something that was sorely lacking for the last two years. Therrien and Martin have similar systems but this is where they differ. Martin must be cringing looking at how well the near identical puck support system worked last night. The Habs were a threat to score on every shift for the first ten minutes.

Hated:

1. Bouillon for the third time in two games lost track of the scorer sneaking in behind him. 3 goals against, all 3 shorthanded, all three because Bouillon’s been caught puck watching on the penalty kill……not good.

2. That somebody didn’t absolutely maul Shawn Matthias after he grabbed White from behind during the third period scrum. Matthias knows that holding White during a fight is going to result in his teammate getting free shots. It was a gutless move. For a team as loud mouthed as the Panthers have been over the last couple of years, it would have been nice to see somebody shut them up.

3. As upset as I and I’m sure other fans were after a few questionable calls. It’s not the best idea to scream at officials. And it’s also not good to do it from an elevated position. It won’t gain any favour in the future. Those officials remember which coaches come down to eye level with them to speak and which ones stand over top of them and yell.

4. If it weren’t for Moen’s great play on the penalty kill it would have been another game of near no involvement from him. He just signed a nice extension for a third liner and he needs to be a presence out there, not a bystander.

Other thoughts.

I don’t think Brendan Gallagher needs to be a scorer to stick with the Habs. I think we have our version of Brad Marchand.

Rafael Diaz may be the team’s best player through two games, and if he isn’t, he’s really close.

I hope others are noticing how versatile Alexei Emelin is. He has #1 defenseman written all over him. His shot is his weakness, and in my opinion it’s his ONLY weakness as a player.

Josh Gorges hasn’t been great so far but where are these hits coming from? Is he trying to make Emelin look bad?

• shiram says:

Really liked Diaz out there, a great sleeper pick for the Habs.
      Emelin does look much improve from last year, I think playing with a healthy Markov is a good boon for him. Does anyone know if Emelin was wearing his full cage in the KHL?
      Price has been great so far, no ES goals yet.

70. 123456 says:

K quick withOUT looking – who lead the team in points as of today?

71. Mavid says:

Last night was fun, but it would have been that much more fun if PK would have been there. I hope the figure it out soon..

72. Mavid says:

I love the torch ceremonies, nobody does it better than Montreal, always inspiring, and classy..we should be proud and not complain about it..other fans only wish they did it as well as we do..keep it up

73. Sportfan says:

Hits from some players last night Bourque 4 hits Bouillon Cole 4 Gallagher 4 Prust 4 and Emelin 9!!! Wow I sure am enjoying the hits!

74. bleedhabs81 says:

I had the urge to post last night during the game, but I had pvr’d it and was a period behind, so I didn’t want to log in and spoil the game for myself.

The goal by Galchenyuk was something we have not seen regularly in a long long time. Someone who gets infront of the goalie and stands in for the tip. Gionta tries, Max and Cole do it sometimes, but I watched Gally fight his way into that spot, claim as his own, and then make a sweet tip.

It is a shame to burn one year of his entry level contract now, but I can’t see sending him down unless he really regresses in the next 4 games.

Also, the Florida broadcast team is ridiculous with their homerism. I did enjoy the basic hockey explanations though… like how there was going to be 5 minutes given to White for his fight and that the Panthers could score as many times as they could without having the penalty terminated. Glad they explained that to me.

• Rudy says:

I laughed my ass off when they would do hockey 101. My 17 year old was watching with me and he turned to me a couple of times and said WTH???

• 123456 says:

I had to watch the Florida feed as well – but hey free center ice for us in the USA is nothing to complain about. All announcers are homers. I am stuck watching the Sabres a lot (whom I like) but Generatte is one of hte biggest homers there are. Since you saw the Florida feed – OMG the prices for TIX !!!!!! (OMG as in CHEAP)

• Rudy says:

$10!!!! My son couldn’t believe that, he said he could buy himself “season tickets”

• bleedhabs81 says:

I usually watch the Habs on RDS and my french is really only passible for a tourist, so I don’t hear how bad they are (aside from the Oi Oi Oi Oi when the habs do something dumb)

CJAD was also biased, but i thought they usually did a fair job and it was only really evident when, again, the Habs screwed up. Murray Wilson with his Oh NO, OH NO!

TSN is pretty fair, since they really don’t have any distinct tie to one team, and the CBC usually biases against the Habs… so I am not used to that level of homerism. The last time I nearly puked from watching a game from an opposing team feed was the NYR feed, the night Kovy did his magic.

• 123456 says:

I used to ( a few years back) listen to games on CJAD – moffet and wilson and they wer enot homers.

Just for kicks – if you can – watch a bruins game in NESN. but before you do – put your guns away because you will shoot your TV.

• bleedhabs81 says:

Moffet and Wilson were homers. What are you listening too? I will say that they were not that bad, but they were still homers.

A Canadien blows a tire and Wilson screams Oh No! Oh No!

“Oh No” should not be part of any sportscasters vocabulary unless something terrifying happens, like a skate to the neck or slamming into a turnbuckle.

Also, guns?? what guns? I believe you have me confused with an American or a redneck Albertan…

• Sportfan says:

Wow I really want to hear them explain hockey to people haha thats hilarious, but at the same time really smart and a great way to help the new fans understand

75. Castor says:

I love PK but I’m getting pissed that he’s holding out through games. Games in a shortened season amount to a LOT.

• 123456 says:

But if you were an accountant and one of the best and certanly you could argue the best at your firm – whiles others were making $50,000 wouldn’t you want more than them? As long as he comes back within the next week or two I’m OK with it – in the end as long as all sides get along and work out a fair deal it’s fine.

If on the other hand – he is demanding $5M then I would not be answering his calls. Something tells me they have to be somewhat close on teh $$$ – they may be at odds over duration – which is way harder to negotiate.

• Luke says:

PK is not holding out, he is unsigned.

PK is no more holding out than the Habs are holding him out.