About last night … with audio

Randy Cunneyworth
You really have to hand it to Randy Cunneyworth.
He’s facing his last three games as coach of the Montreal Canadiens: and rather than get all mopey and down in the dumps, Cunneyworth decides to offer the team and its fans a good laugh.
Aaron Palushaj in the shootout?
Because of Alexander Semin’s marksmanship, we’ll never know for sure.
But Paloosh, who warmed the bench for almost 60 minutes of regulation and overtime?
Man, that is the GOLD STANDARD for April Fool’s gags.

Cunneyworth as practical joker?

Who knew?

If this team actually won the Stanley Cup, maybe the fun-lovin’ coach would have had plastic doggy doots floating around in the champagne.

Aaron Palushaj for the win?

GTFOH, you crazy monkey.

OK, I’ve had my post-game rant.

And I like Cunneyworth. Pierre Gauthier put a good, loyal hockey man in an impossible situation, and Cunneyworth did the job to the best of his ability, with dignity and grace under pressure.

At about 10 p.m. on April 7, when the siren sounds and the curtain clanks down on a miserable season, Randy Cunneyworth will be among the people who can walk out of the Bell Centre with his head held high.

The Canadiens got 100 per cent of what their coach had to offer.

And you can say the same about most of the players.

There aren’t many potential difference-makers you can point to and say “if he hadn’t been such a dog, this team would be in the playoffs.”

Did you think the acquisition of Rene Bourque punched a ticket to the postseason?

Blake Geoffrion?

Tomas F. Kaberle?

C’mon. Let’s not be playing Poissons d’Avril on ourselves.

Just not enough chevaux, peeps.

Too many injuries.

Insufficient depth.

The next general manager and coach have work to do, but heart transplants and gonad-growing aren’t on the list.

While losing for the 50th time this season to a Washington team that won’t get out of the first round, if they make it, the Canadiens displayed the heart and dedication we saw on most nights. They came back from a 2-0 deficit on the road and fired 40-plus shots on goal for the first time since Oct. 24 (a 2-1 loss to Florida at the Bell Centre).

Playing the second game in two nights after stinking out Madison Square Garden, the Canadiens dominated the third period and OT. They would have beaten the Capitals had Michal Neuvirth not made spectacular stops … plus the customary open-net opportunities squandered.

Here’s what I liked in Game 79:

• Despite taking what looked like a nasty shot on his right knee in the Rangers game, Andrei Markov was back the next night making clever passes, heady plays and sweet power-play music with P.K. Subban. The PP came up empty in four opportunities, but the passing and patience were a joy to behold; and the power-play (mostly its first wave) had 11 shots.

• Tomas Plekanec, who reached the 50-point plateau for a third straight season, and Lars Eller were brilliant in all situations – except for faceoffs. One of the first priorities for the next GM – after signing Carey Price and Subban and drafting a Top 5 prospect – will be to find scoring wingers for these two gifted centres.

Brian Gionta will be Top 6. Bourque may rediscover the scoring touch that produced consecutive 27-goal seasons in Calgary. Louis Leblanc may blossom into something, but I fear an 18-to-20 goal/third line ceiling with him.

But the creativity of Pleks and Eller demands better complementary pieces than Geoffrion, Ryan White, Mike Blunden et al.

Twenty-one teams in the NHL have scored more goals than the Canadiens this season. That situation has to change.

And 19 teams have allowed fewer goals.

On offence and defence, the Canadiens are on the bubble of the lowest tier. A full season of Markov will help at both ends of the ice, but the game at Madison Square Garden was, I fear, a better indicator than the one at Verizon Center.

It pleases me, as a Nordiques-hater from way back, to see the degree to which  Dale Hunter has screwed up the Capitals.

But at least he didn’t have Roman Hamrlik pencilled in for the shootout.

The man has no sense of humour.

1. frankcasting says:

I’m also a big Lars and Plek fan, and they really need some help with skilled forwards. I’m also looking forward to seeing Tinordi, Beaulieu, and Gallagher on this team next year, as well as the no.1 pick. Let’s go young, fast, high energy, and unlike the Oilers, for example, we have a solid blueline and experienced players on the number 1 line. This could be a lot of fun!

Loving the Habs since 1965

2. Mike D says:

Since many have stated that we could use another physical presence on the back end who can clear the crease for Carey and make opposing forwards think twice about going into the corner in our zone, here’s a list and a few stats about some Dmen who will be available this summer. In no particular order:

PLAYER – HT/WT – AGE – CAP HIT
    Pavel Kubina – 6’4″ 258lbs. – 34 y.o. – 3.85mil
    Nick Grossmann – 6’4″ 230lbs. – 27 y.o. – 1.625mil
    Colin White – 6’4″ 215lbs. – 34 y.o. – 1mil

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

3. ed lopaz says:

was allowing Palushaj to shoot in the shootout a joke??

no. and I would have done the same thing a long time ago.

the Habs top scorers can not score in a shootout situation.

I would guess this weakness in our lineup has cost us about 5-8 points this season at least.

I don’t want to spend the time, but someone should tell us how many shootouts we have been “shut out” – the first 3 shooters fail to score.

Palushaj is an “offensive” player.

Pacioretty indicated publicly to the media a while back that Palushaj should be treated the way he wanted the team to treat him, i.e

if there was no place on the top 6, let him play in Hamilton.

And I would guess that Palushaj is a good team player and a player who is “easy to coach” – a guy who does not question what he is told, even if he barely plays, and he is sent to the AHL about every other week.

So this was a “bone”, a “gift”, that was thrown to a hard working, offensive minded player who has good hands and who has shown an offensive flare at the AHL level.

4. Hobie Hansen says:

I think the one thing that is clear with the Canadiens is that they’re sorely missing guys like Gill and Hamrlik. I’m not saying I wish they were still here because they were reaching the end of their line but Montreal’s defense is way too small.

Hamrlik looked awful last night and Gill had clearly lost a step this year as well, so I’m glad they’re gone. They were both on the soft side which bothered me so I’m hoping we can find two guys with similar size and skill but a bit nastier.

Aaron Ward from TSN hit the nail on the head the other night when he suggested the Canadiens make a push for Bryan Allen this summer who’s a UFA. I couldn’t agree more.

Allen has generally been a plus player on some pretty bad teams. He’s 6’5″ and has no issue battling with guys like a Lucic, Staal or Malkin in front of the net. Allen is tough as nails as well and would give us that sheriff on the blue line that we’ve been missing since Souray left.

As well as his giant wing span and steady defense, it would be great seeing someone able to toss power forwards aside when they’re looking for a rebound and jabbing at Price.

Subban, Emelin and even Gorges are scrappy and physical but none really clear the crease, especially if it is a tougher player whacking away. Hamrlik and Gill could at least wrap those types of players up on occasion.

5. Cal says:

With the end a week away, let’s play GET RID OF THE LOSER POINT. THE EAST:
    1-NYR GP78 W50 L21 OTL7 =100 not 107
    2-Bos GP78 W46 L28 OTL4 = 92 not 96
    3-Fla GP78 W37 L25 OTL16= 74 not 90!!
    4-Pitts GP78 W48 L24 OTL6 = 96 not 102
    5-Phil GP78 W45 L24 OTL9 =90 not 99
    6-NJD GP79 W45 L28 OTL6 =90 not 96
    7-Ott GP78 W40 L28 OTL10=80 not 90
    8-Was GP79 W40 L31 OTL8=80 not 88

9-Buf GP79 W38 L31 OTL10=76 not 86
    10-Winn GP79 W36 L34 OTL9=72 not 81
    11-TBay GP78 W36 L35 OTL7=72 not 79
    12-Caro GP79 W31 L32 OTL16=62 not 78!!!
    13-NYI GP78 W33 L34 OTL 11=66 not 77!!
    14-Tor GP79 W34 L36 OTL 9=68 not 77
    15-Mtl GP79 W29 L35 OTL15=58 not 73!!!

Under a fair point system- Zero points for a loss- FLA would not be in it, let alone 3rd in the conference. Habs would be the 2nd worst team in the league instead of the 3rd. Carolina would be 2 wins better than the Habs.

THE WEST
    1-Van GP79 W49 L21 OTL9=98 not107
    2-StL GP79 W48 L21 OTL10=96 not106
    3-LAK GP79 W39 L27 OTL13=78 not 91
    4-Nas GP79 W45 L26 OTL8=90 not 98
    5-Det GP78 W46 L27 OTL 5=92 not 97
    6-Chi GP79 W44 L26 OTL 9=88 not 97
    7-Pho GP79 W39 L27 OTL13=78 not 91!!!
    8-SJo GP79 W40 L29 OTL10=80 not 90

9-Dal GP79 W42 L32 OTL 5=84 not 89
    10-Col GP80 W41 L33 OTL6=82 not 88
    11-Cal GP80 W35 L29 OTL16=70 not 86!!!
    12-Ana GP78 W33 L34 OTL11=66 not 77
    13-Min GP78 W33 L35 OTL10= 66 not 76
    14-Edm GP78 W31 L38 OTL9=62 not 71
    15-CBJ GP79 W 27 L45 OTL7= 54 not 61

In the West, Phoenix gets a playoff spot they haven’t earned. Calgary’s bad season is disguised, as well.
    How about it? Get rid of loser points? Or make all games worth 3? Right now, it a bull sh!t point system, making some games worth more than others.

• athanor says:

You guys have it all wrong.
      The two points for a win includes a bonus point that is added to the point earned bybeing tied at the end of regulation.

I see no reason that a team that played even through the regulation length of an NHL game should be penalized by losing the point they earned in that game.

If you want to avoid some games’ being worth more than others, simply make a regulation win worth three points, an OT or SO win worth two and an OTL worth one.

The advantage of a three-point regulation win is that it makes trying right to the end to get the win a valuable exercise.

6. Thomas Le Fan says:

Cunneyworth may be a good guy but I think he was chosen for The Tank©. Management knew or at least feared that JM would drag this team kicking and screaming into 8th and more mediocrity would ensue.

7. Habfan10912 says:

Off topic and I apologize. Today is Rusty Staubs Birthday. One of my favorites of all time. La Grande Orange! (Spelling?)

I saw also it was his birthday, however, I am in no position to help you with french spelling of his nickname ;-) But it may be Le Grand Orange. (I looked it up online and have found 3 different websites each spelling differently. I would think someone who knows better will correct us both. Rusty played for the Expos just before I really started to watch them)

You must have loved this guy playing for your beloved Mets and Expos!

• boing007 says:

Le Grand Orange.

Richard R

8. JF says:

I actually feel good about the Habs this morning. That was a very solid effort, especially in the second and third periods. We dominated and should have won in regulation. It was good to see Plekanec’s skills on display, and Markov seems to be gradually returning to his former self.

The loser point won’t hurt our draft position, whereas if we’d won all five of the last ten games we lost in OT or the shootout, we’d have 78 points – a completely useless amount. For the moment we should be glad we can’t score in the shootout – but something will have to be done about it next year. As things stand, there’s a good chance we’ll be able to go into the last game of the season hoping whole-heartedly for a win.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great morning to you. My feelings exactly JF. Lack of effort hasn’t been the issue on most nights but they actually played very well last night, particularly in period 2 and the OT. shoot-out does need some work though. For the tankers, the half a tank was good enough last night as both the Wild and Leafs got no tank. :) I think that’s how this tank thong works.

9. steve17 says:

I agree that the Habs need to add 3 scoring wingers, but I don’t think Gionta is one of them. I think he should be traded. If you are thinking of LeBlanc as a winger, not a centre, then that would leave DD on the first line, Pleks on the 2nd and Eller on the 3rd. I say, if Montreal end up with the 2nd pick overall, and the new GM can do it, he should trade Pleks, Weber, and one of the 2nd round picks to get the 3rd overall. If Yakupov goes first as suspected, then take Grigorenko and Forsberg. If they are NHL ready, Forsberg could play on the 2nd line on the left with Eller and possibly Avtsin or Gallagher. If the Habs sign Moen, he could play with Grigorenko and LeBlanc. That would leave Staubitz, White and Blunden as the energy 4th line. Bourque, Gionta and Gomez should go. I would see if Darche would like to move to Hamilton as a player/assistant coach. With what he brings and how he made the NHL, he would be a great help.

Then with Markov, Emelin, Subban and Gorges, the Habs could see if Nash or Pateryn could make it in the 5 or 6 position and how Beaulieu and Tinordi do at camp. If they sign one net clearing, hard nosed defenceman, then they should be fine. Diaz played well enough, so maybe keep him, but move Weber and let Campoli and Kaberle go. If they dump Gomez and Kaberle and trade Gionta, they would have enough cash to take a shot at Suter is he makes it to free agency. Maybe even Parise. That would give them time to develop Gallagher in Hamilton, or put him on the 3rd line.

The Habs are close and need a solid GM who can make trades and deals that are in the Habs favour, not like the previous regime!!

Habfan17

• JF says:

I think you under-estimate Gionta. He plays bigger than his size and gives it his all every night. He’s actually the only one of Bob Gainey’s expensive free agent signings who has done what was expected of him. Also, Hal Gill’s departure has left a bit of a leadership vacuum on the team. We’re likely to be an even younger team next year, and I think we need Gionta’s leadership qualities.

Very good points regarding Gionta. He is a very good two way player with very good veteran leadership. Due to injuries and no playoffs I suspect he will be chomping at the bit next season to show what he is still capable of.

I think also with a summer for Markov to train, he will come back strong next year, I think that will make up for Gill’s absence in leadership terms. Maybe we will get surprised by one of our young dmen at training camp, but definitely want to see one rugged dman added to lineup. Hopefully the new GM will deal with the excess number of talented but smaller dmen we have, Kaberle, Diaz, Weber. St. Denis looks like he is ready to be our first call up next season.

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Gerald. My peepers might be decieving me a bit but I actually thought 79 was much better last night especially on the PP. I hope he gets a shot at the Worlds because I think he needs more games under his belt to.

Mornin’, yah to me what was most impressive was he looked better on the 2nd night of back to back games and after experiencing some discomfort the night before. Mentally it must have been great for him to take a knock on his knee and be fine the next evening to play.

More training (less rehab) and playing games is all this horse needs.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I expect to see some thing like this next season (To start the season)

PK – Gorges
          Markov – Bryan Allen (or other UFA)
          Kaberle – Emelin

Kaberle is a pretty good bargaining chip for trades, as he has a pretty good contract and puts up points, I think the Habs can use him as a bottom pairing D that QB’s the second PP Unit.

• Habfan10912 says:

What? No Campoli? :)

• vegas says:

Allen is another Left D, we should maybe put more attention to our true needs.

PK is Right D
            Gorges is a Left D that had proven he can play on the right
            Markov is a Left D never played the left side and I don’t think he ever will
            Emelin has shown that he is more effective on the Left side
            Kaberle (see Markov)
            St Denis, Weber and Diaz will probably be # 7 and 8
            Beaulie and Tinordi are also Left D
            we need another right D (Physical one)

Would you consider Souray for 2 years until Beaulieu and Tinordi finish their development? He’s got size, he has some grit has a great shot, played decently in Dallas and was a +14, but he is also a left D

I can’t see who else could help us playing right D that is available
            Corey Sarich? probably teh only one that fits the bill

• croozer says:

Agree JF

Effort and leadership – always willing to fight for the puck.
        Assuming he wants to stay in Montreal and I haven’t heard that he wants out, why would you move him?
        Who is realistically available that would bring those qualities and more?

10. Josh says:

Good old loser point.

And what’s so wrong of using an offensive minded winger, who despite being in Montreal for more than half the season still almost leads the Bulldogs in points, in the shootout?

11. Muckbringer says:

sigh…troglodytes

i wouldnt play for these fans either.

12. Muckbringer says:

ah, hio! where those that cant even professionally blog solve all our problems! who needs a new gm? not us!

13. Muckbringer says:

pretty happy with my new purchase. really? nobody thinks its pretty cool?

14. slim wallet says:

I also like the idea of trying to pry Huberdeau out of Florida with our choice (but only if Yakupov isn’t taken.)

15. slim wallet says:

Edmonton needs defense. Tinordi, Kaberle (Pateryn), and a 2nd rounder for Edmonton’s 1st round pick, or some variation. Tinordi’s a 1st rounder with size, Kaberle’s a puck moving defenseman. Can Edmonton wait for a top pick to mature? The Habs pick up two top 5 first rounders. They don’t need to draft defensemen, they need help up front. Grigorenko and Forsberg?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

NO Soup For You! They will need D if they trade away half their prospects like you suggest! ;)

I have a feeling Forsberg will be a “fringe top 6.” I hope I am wrong if Habs select him!

• REB says:

It will take a lot more than that for Edmonton’s 1st round pick, especially with Burke trying to trade up.

16. H.Upmann says:

If there’s one thing I’m happy about this season, it’s that we’re finally being HONEST about where we are. I don’t envy the next GM, he.will be hired to get rid if our horrible contracts. After that, he can easily be replaced. Good luck to whoever it is picking up for PG and BG….. And since BG is gone now, I’d like to hear from Carbo someday about his view of how it all went down.

17. Un Canadien errant says:

Partial repost on Blake Geoffrion:

One player I do worry about is Blake Geoffrion. He does look like he lacks explosion and is a step behind the action. This summer, Blake must forego the golf and wakeboarding and bagging Nashville honeys and instead rent a place in Brossard across the street from the practice complex, and basically live at the gym. He has to do a full summer of explosion training, power skating and plyometrics. He has to show up at training camp leaner, meaner and with noticeably more jump in his stride. He may think that he’s training hard right now, but he has to take it two levels higher, and make the strength and conditioning coaches his best friends. I’m not talking about the cliché ‘I put on ten pounds of muscle this summer’ idea (which is usually a load of bunk), I’m talking pure squats and deadlifts and box jumps and skating until he wants to throw up. His career over the next two seasons will be defined by the effort he expends over the summer. The kid has talent, he was a Hobey Baker winner, now he needs to allow himself to succeed.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• montreal ace says:

Habs should have a power skating coach working with all our prospects.

• Mike D says:

I couldn’t possibly agree more with this! 100% bang-on, and I’ve thought the same thing for a while now too. Some players have individually sought out power skating coaches, so why has no NHL team been pro-active enough to hire one for the entire roster?!?! Given all the other expenses it takes to run a hockey team, adding a power skating coach that gets paid maybe $150K per year seems relatively cheap.

Make it so, Geoff.

- Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

18. Muckbringer says:

SO HAPPY!! just bought 12″ROY w/ red jersey!!!macfarlane series 1!!!! not cheap but oh friggn lay!!!

19. habaholic68NJ says:

My preference:
    McGuire: GM
    Damphousse: Assistant GM
    Roy: Coach
    Robinson: Assistant coach

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

• shootdapuck says:

Re: Mcguire

If figures, you’re both from the Garden State!

=================================================
      The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
      “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

20. doug19 says:

I would like to know habs shootout stats this year. Exactly how many goals did they score on how many shots. This could explain why Jaques Martin had the team play defensive,and most of us dished him for it.
    Shame on us. Sure they used their speed for the first few games until they were banged up and out of gas then check and flop when JM went.

How about Gomez for General Manager to save a few bucks
    And free up some cap space?OK Siberian scout?Alaska scout?

21. LA Loyalist says:

A Washington team that won’t get out of the first round?

I’m no fan of Hunter, but for the first time they will have all their stars healthy at the same time. And while PK or Markov are equal to Green, we have no one comparable to Backstrom and Ovechkin. If Semin shows up (admittedly a big “if”) , and they get decent goal-tending?

Parity.

And by the way. This Habs loss seals the Deal I made with Satan :-) We get a young Rod Langway back from from Caps.

Is that great, or what?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I hate when people bring up Rick Green as a good defenceman from the past that they wish we could get. I always wince and think how we gave up Rod Langway and Brian Engblom to get that plugger. And Ryan Walter, the slowest man in Show Business, this side of Stan Smyl and Hal Gill.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• boonie says:

Green was a great d-man of the past, a player who could collapse in front of the net and stop bad things from happening. Giving up langway a multiple time Norris winner was tough, but green helped us win a cup.

That’s what it’s all about. The rest of the stuff – personal awards, specific trades, complaining,… is for losers.

I like being a winner. Do you think bruin fans are going to complain about the first rounder and whatever gardner turns into 30 years from now, or just lord lord stanley’s hardware over us when we haven’t won one in what might be approaching 50 years…?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I disagree that he was a great defenceman. Rod Langway was a great defenceman. We won a Stanley Cup despite trading down, stripping our defence roster of Brian Engblom and Rod Langway in return for Rick Green. Mr. Green won a Cup with us, but wasn’t leading the way, he at best contributed and more likely rode the coattails of Patrick Roy and Chris Chelios.

———————————
          How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• shootdapuck says:

Normand

=================================================
            The cerebral insight of PJ Stock:

“Le problem est Markov n’a pas jouer un seul game cette annee”
            “Louis Leblanc est un kid locale”

• Cal says:

Rod Langway won Norris trophies BECAUSE HE DIDN’T WANT TO PLAY IN MONTREAL. That’s why he was traded away. He didn’t care about Cups.

22. Un Canadien errant says:

Tonight’s game told us more about the Washington Capitals than the Montréal Canadiens. They were playing a tired team, that had played the previous night on the road and then traveled to D.C., and jumped to a 2-0 lead, but then couldn’t put them away. They were facing the journeyman goaltender Peter Budaj, and should have stepped on the Canadiens neck, but couldn’t close the deal in regulation. There’s no harm done to their playoff chances, but it says a lot about their motivation and desire and mindset and playoff readiness.

The DD line has cooled off somewhat in recent games, and the centreman had a poor game compared to his usual standards. Maybe he is getting tired, or the motivation is hard to come by this late in the season, but he was responsible for a few breakdowns and finished his evening -1. On the offensive side, he didn’t seem to click, and his hesitation to shoot in favour of passing to his teammates may be a detriment at this point. The opponents may have the book on him now, and cover the passing lanes and dare him to shoot, like they do to Tomas Kaberle. He’ll need to work on his shot and one-timers this summer to address this issue.

P.K. Subban is finally listening to me. I’ve often asked him to stop relying on the big windup slapshot exclusively, and to fake it then deke the shot blocker and go around him for the wrist shot. We saw him use my tactic tonight to great effect if no tangible result. If he continues to do so, he will be more effective, and his slapshot will be more effective as well, if it ever hits the net, since the defenders won’t be able to set up for it so easily.

Something had been bugging me about Brad Staubitz, and now I know what it is. He’s a dead ringer for this guy .

Good night, we pick up the regulation tie point, but our draft standings competitors Minnesota and Toronto bungled their way to a win, so not too much damage done.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

23. ProHabs says:

Boone, have you been awake while watching these Habs this year. THis years Habs and heart should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

If the Habs even had half a heart this year, they would have easily made the playoffs. Teams like Washington and Buffalo have been playing most of the year as if they don’t want to make the playoffs. Getting a playoff spot in the east this year should have been a piece of cake.

24. light_n_tasty says:

I just don’t get Boone’s love for RC. Habs were over .500 before he became head coach. JM was able to squeeze more out of this team then RC could, and JM is just an average coach.

• gK_HabsFan says:

I too don’t really like RC, and how he uses the players. But, with RC as head coach:
      1) JM was fired
      2) PG was fired
      3) Can potentially get that top line player we’ve lacked for sometime via the draft
      4) Change the losing culture (hopefully) because we’ve sucked soo bad this year, ownership is going to be hardpressed to make some moves

Not so bad with a couple months of work :)

• Timo says:

I think Boone like the man, not the coach.

• LA Loyalist says:

I’m not saying RC is Scotty Bowman, but to hang any of this clusterf*ck on him is unfair, as the players knew he was a temp.

Think how you treated supply teachers in school Same deal.

More importantly, it distracts from the real problems, management and the Mail-it-in Millionaires club, which for 2011/12 was fully subscribed.

Hopefully this will be addressed over the summer. I was encouraged by Mr. Molson’s presser. Make it so.

25. jols101 says:

Had to delete, my facts were all fiction, sorry about that…

26. bellcentre hotdog says:

I know this sounds pathetic, but I’m finding this lottery pick race actually pretty exciting!

27. Bill says:

Boone: You fear that Louis Leblanc has a ceiling of being a 20-goal third-liner?

What does the word “fear” mean to you? Because a 20-goal third-liner sounds pretty good to me.

Seriously, Leblanc has excellent 3rd-line two-way player written all over him. He has superior hockey Snarts™ and decent hands in close. He reminds me of Carbonneau, who was a 20-goal third-liner, and the Habs could certainly use a new Carbonneau.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Pleks = today’s Carbonneau

_________________________________________________________
      HIS’ Official Habs’ Fan Theme Song; Morrissey ‘There is a light that never goes out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjObvIQtsLk&feature=related
      _________________________________________________________
      What I WANT ! is an aircraft carrier at centre and nuclear destroyers on each wing going to the net like bats out of Hell !, …NO MORE rubber duckies !!!
      _________________________________________________________
      Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• ZepFan2 says:

About Leblanc. Is that your personnel feelings about his hockey Snarts™?

———————————————————————-
      “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

• Rob D says:

I don’t think Boone or anyone else has a handle on where Leblanc will eventually fit. I see a competent NHLer so far. He’s got to bulk up a tad and improve his skating stride but he’s got very good hands, tenacious checking skills and smarts. I loved his “control the puck, take a check to make a pass” play a few games ago to give Geoffrion his first NHL goal. That was a top tier play.

Anyway, my opinion is the same as anyones..but I see a lot more than 3rd line talent with LL. He’ll prove some of us right and wrong next year I guess.

• LA Loyalist says:

Nice post. A team that gets 40 goals out of it’s 3rd line is a team that is going somewhere.

We have a proud tradition of elite “grinders”. Carbo, Gainey, Mike Keane, Skrudland, McPhee – if we had a few of those guys… with decent coaching and mentoring, L.Leblanc could join them. The kid went to Harvard, he is no dope on a rope.

Thanks for the great post.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…good ‘upbeat’ ALN …now I can sleep soundly

_________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    _________________________________________________________
    Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

29. Bripro says:

My choice of GM…. Brisebois, if not McGuire.
    Here’s lesson one on Brisebois. In case you choose not to read the whole thing, just scroll down…he’s below Yzerman.
    (it’s a repost)

30. ZepFan2 says:

First and soon to be last! YES!!

Pleks should have been in the SO.

———————————————————————-
    “You cannot petition the lord with prayer!” – James Douglas Morrison

The Soft Parade

31. Un Canadien errant says:

I trust Mr. Timmins to make the right choice. I haven’t seen any of those guys play. Drafting teenagers is almost a crap shoot.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

32. kazmojo says:

With Tinordi and Beaulieu coming up, and with Gorges, Subban and Emelin already here, I don’t see the Habs drafting a dman. And while Galchenyuk is interesting, I think the KHL threat tips the scale in favor of Forsberg: big, fast, can snipe, and not afraid of going to the net. Like a right-handed version of Cole or Pacioretty.

33. LA Loyalist says:

I love Markov and Emelin, and for that matter Kovalchuk and Ovechkin and I loved Kovalev when he was in the mood, Lord.

But drafting a Russian with our best pick in years? Man, that is going to take stones of steel. Malkin is the exception, not the rule.

You realize I’m not going to sleep over your question?

If I had to make this decision, I would take a Canadian boy who slept with The Stanley Cup under his pillow as a kid. Not to go all Don Cherry on you, but give me a Kirk Muller, Wendel Clark, Shayne Corson, Dougie Gilmour, Saku Koivu – a guy who bleeds first and asks questions later.

And 10 years from now, when my son is 19… Yeah his room is a shrine to The Montreal Canadiens.

34. dre1744 says:

Galchenyuk is an american russian… I’m not sure if he was born in the US or came there at a very young age but he is actually an american so i don’t really see him running off to play in the KHL!!!!!

35. LA Loyalist says:

I didn’t know that. Makes a big difference.

36. Mike D says:

The 2011 draft actually. We selected Magnus Nygren with our last of three 4th round picks

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

37. Mike D says:

Galchenyuk is indeed American born. Milwaukee, Wisconsin to be specific.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

38. athanor says:

That would be interesting. Montreal, for example, had 22 regulation wins, + 7 OT/SO wins and 15 OT/SL losses (22 times tied after regulation), which would give them 44 points.