About last night …

Subban
It’s very difficult to predict the moves of a coach who has used Tomas Kaberle and SCOTT GOMEZ in shootouts.
But let me make a wild prediction:
At a nationally-televised Saturday night game played in his hometown, P.K. Subban will be watching from the ACC pressbox.

It’s probably a longshot.

Randy Cunneyworth didn’t watch L’Antichambre, like I did. That means he didn’t hear Michel Bergeron, François Gagnon and Vincent Damphousse running up one side of P.K. and down the other.

They blamed Subban for the Dustin Jeffrey shorthanded goal that sparked the Pittsburgh comeback.

(Although it was interesting that Cunneyworth blamed that mess on Gomez’s bad positioning. Marc Denis made this point right after the play happened. The RDS analyst didn’t single out Gomez, but Denis said Subban was left with no options.)

The Antichambre gang were particularly exercised about the conversation on the bench between P.K. and Randy Ladouceur, who’s responsible for the defencemen.

It was evidence, they suggested, of Subban’s habit of making excuses and blaming others for his mistakes.

Replaying some things Jacques Martin said on an earlier edition of the show, L’Antichambre made the case that Subban is a talented player who resists coaching and keeps making the same mistakes.

(Right, Jocko. P.K. killed you; and if you could do it all over, you’d play Chris Campoli 25 minutes every night. Putz.)

There’s evidence to support the view that Subban has a low coachability quotient. How many of P.K.’s soft, backhand passes near his net have turned into goals-against this season?

But you know what concerns me more than Subban’s brain cramps?

The tendency, where this kid is concerned, for pundits to pile on. And their criticisms probably resonate in the executive suites of an uptight, ultra-conservative and more-than-a-little paranoid organization.

If I’m an NHL general manager, I’m asking Pierre Gauthier about the availability of P.K. Subban. Because I don’t think he’s an untouchable.

But if my dire premonitions come to pass, here’s another fearless prediction: the future coach and general manager of this troubled team will deeply regret the loss of a supremely talented player.

We can pick apart the loss in Pittsburgh.

We can talk about the bizarre choice of Gomez, with Erik Cole sitting on the bench. But the part of the shootout that neatly encapsulated this crappy season was Andrei Kostitsyn’s SO attempt.

AK46 had a goal and an assist, played a solid game and fully deserved his shootout opportunity.

But how the heck did he break his stick on a wrist shot?

It’s been that kind of season. An ubroken series of mishaps, on and off the ice, from October into the new year.

And there’s more to come, starting Saturday night in Toronto.

The only way for Canadiens fans to retain their sanity is to focus on the future. If Ottawa can turn things around, we can look forward to better days … beginning with Geoff Molson’s choice of a new general manager.

I hope P.K. Subban will be part of the renaissance. With Josh Gorges signed long-term, Alexei Emelin (good aganst the Penguins) and Raphael Diaz learning North American hockey and with Jarred Tinordi, Nathan Beaulieu and Mac Bennett moving up through the system, the Canadiens have the makings of what most observers thought Bob Gainey had in mind when he drafted Carey Price:

Building a strong team from the goaltender out.

Many unfunny things have happened, however, on the way to turning the Montreal Canadiens of the 00’s into the New Jersey Devils of the 1990s.

Gainey’s plans are in tatters – not least because of the salary cap influence of two former Devils.

And when he’s not Xeroxing his CV, Gauthier is functioning as the ringmaster of the worst clusterf–k in the history of a proud franchise.

Montreal gave the world the Cirque du Soleil, and its hockey team has become a Cirque de la Noirceur – joyless and enshrouded in ever-deepening darkness.

Yeah, I know: They still have a mathematical chance of making the playoffs.

And any day now, maybe in Toronto or against Detroit at the Bell Centre on Wednesday, the Canadiens are going to catch fire and start the eight-game winning streak that will lift them back into contention.

With Hal Gill, Chris Campoli and Tomas Kaberle on D.

With Travis Moen on the power play.

With Scott Gomez recapturing the scoring touch that has been MIA since last Feb. 5.

And don’t even think about what the playoff math would be if the Canadiens didn’t have the David Desharnais line.

They’d be trailing Columbus.

But again, let’s not dwell on this miserable season.

As evidenced by what has happened in Ottawa and Florida, teams can turn things around by making sound decisions – like hiring Paul MacLean and Kevin Dineen.

I’m among those who think the next coach of the Canadiens should be blingual, but let me add one more criterion:

Find a guy who can get through to P.K.

It will be worth it.

• Great late-night Tweet from Arpon Basu: Only two teams have fewer wins than the Canadiens: Columbus and Anaheim.

1. theflower says:

Let’s cut PK some slack people. He will be a very talented player without a doubt, but like so many good ones before him, he is having that sophomore jinx. This is very common amongst young, talented NHL defencemen. I expect next year to be better for him. Also, lets face it, he is without a quality mentor and is logging way too many minutes at this point in his career. So that combination is not great. Also, if you log all those minutes, you will talk back to your coach, because you are the stud, so your opinion has value, otherwise why give him the minutes. If he was on a more talented team with better d-men he would have less minutes and be more serious about listening, because ice time would be harder to get. As it is he is doing the best he can, as far as I am concerned and yes if we lost him to another team, wow he would definitely blossom elsewhere.

2. nova scotia vees says:

My lord people! You’d think that P.K.’s mistake was the only one made by a Hab last night. Where was the forward? We were on the pp so, we should have had a forward on the boards for the break-out. Sure, it was a mistake to “assume” that a veteran player (Gomez) would be there, but WHY WASN’T HE? So as a reward RC puts Gomez in the shoot-out.
    And as for Larry Robinson….I was a reporter and covered the Vees..Larry made mistakes, but everyone could see his talent. In the AHL he had Noel Price as a mentor and Al MacNeil…Who does P.K. have? I bet if Larry passed it up the boards on a PP, Guy Lafleur or Shutt or Cournoyer or Lambert or Pete M. or, or. or….Get the point?

• Un Canadien errant says:

nova scotia vees. Now I get it. Les Voyageurs de la Nouvelle Écosse.

All the acronyms and abbreviations on this site sometime throw me.

Cool that you covered the Voyageurs. You got a chance to see some great hockey players before anyone else.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

3. --Habs-- says:

I don’t think anyone gets it! Randy is tanking the team. Look at the shootout selections. Thats enough of an indication. You think Randy’s that stupid. Habs have no intentions of climbing back into this. And I don’t blame them. I’d mock the NHL and come out and say it. We’re tanking this team for the option of the first round draft choice because thats what the NHL has become.

• idle says:

Not sure I believe that an ‘Interim’ coach in his first head job in the NHL who knows he probably won’t be around next season would deliberately try to lose games knowing that the only thing on his resume as a HC would be a terrible record.

———————————–
      MusicCavity.com

4. Hammer says:

I watched the development of Lafleur and Robinson, and each made a lot of mistakes and were mentored for the first three years or so until they hit their stride. The difference between then and now is that there isn’t half the depth now that those two had on their teams and guys like PK are exposed on a regular basis beacuse they are expected to carry the load immediately with little to no support. There is no Lemaire, Cournoyer, Big M, Lapointe, Savard to bail them out and support when times are tough. If the struenzo’s ( italian for idiots) in the french press don’t realize this they will destroy the young talent and they will end up blossoming elsewhere and then they will blame MNGT for trading them. When I heard Gagnon rip PK on TSN radio I knew that he was devoid of some relevant grey matter between the ears!!

5. jrshabs1 says:

P.K. sucks this year! Something happened between his playoff call-up, where he was fantastic and now. Maybe being called out by his peers as a loud mouth idiot has something to with it. Maybe he and the rest of the NHL know that he(P.K.), WILL NEVER BACK-UP ANY OF HIS ANTICS WITH HIS FISTS. P.K. plays scared, runs his mouth and get’s 0 respect from opponents and team mates. The Habs should trade P.K. while there is still some hope that they could get something tangebile coming back.

Go Habs Go!!

• viper says:

oh u mean like we did with leclaire . thats one of the clubs biggest problems they give up on their young talent way to soon and to expect pk to lead this team on d- in his secound year is just obsurd

• NCRhabsfan says:

You’re an idiot. It’s hockey not boxing! That’s all we need, PK getting hurt trying to prove to you in your rec room that “he’s a man”. Go back to your cave.

6. jedimyrmidon says:

Like many people here, I believe it would be a terrible and grave mistake to trade PK Subban who is forced in his sophomore year to absorb the largest defensive responsibilities on the team next to Josh Gorges. If people were frustrated over other young players lost, losing Subban would be the greatest blow of all because he is able to make a large impact on a team, and has the potential to be so much better.

In return for a player like Subban, one would need to get another player very valuable indeed despite the mistakes Subban makes now. I think we need to remember that one season (especially the notorious sophomore slump) does not a career make.

7. Badwich says:

Well “said” Boone. The L’antichambre gang seemed a little stunned after RC’s dissertation. That said, a majority of the LC gang thought PK would play ce soir. Moi aussi.

Taberwitt

8. shaw says:

I can’t believe we let SCOTT GOMEZ in the shootout out of all people, why cunneyworth why? Why not cole, nope it had to be scott gomez.

Here’s what i can think would be in the best interest of the canadians tank the rest of the reason, so it will give us a chance to ATLEAST have a lottery pick somewhere within the top 3 picks , and pick up a rookie franchise play , we’ll pay him the rookie contract for three years which will free some money in the salary cap and sign better players.Alex Galchenyuk is a VERY nice prospect at the center position , a replacement for scott gomez (who we can dump the same way as we dumped laraque, since he’s not really doing anything) or better yet why not aim for a draft prospect like ryan murray that would be nice.

2- lets get a decent back up goaltender, carey price will get better in time and find his riddim, but we need a good back up. St-louis anybody!!?? halak/elliot !

3- trade mathieu darche,gomez, campoli, diaz and free up some money for the upcoming free agency and finally please get PG out of here i mean c’mon his resume doesn’t prove much he failed when he was in anaheim and he failed with ottawa as well .

9. CF says:

I’ve said it on here for two years. It hasn’t changed. We need a stud defensemen who can walk the walk and talk the talk, taking pressure off the other five guys. P.K Subban walked into an impossible situation, he’s the most talented D by far, and has had to shoulder the blame many nights for turnovers caused partly from having to play too many minutes. Tooooo many.
    The only way I even think about trading P.K. is if it’s for Shae Weber, and only in a sign and trade with Nashville. Otherwise, I try to pick up our “stud” D in FA.
    If AK, AK, AK, says he’ll give a hometown discount, Gauthier will go along way in saving his job by re-signing him. Do it now, he’s got to be on this team next year. I guarantee if we lose him, everyone will realise how important of a player he was.
    Can we get anyone to take Kaberle? Man, once again I’ve said this since the trade,…..it’s the move that should get PG fired, the last straw. Such a poor move.

If you want to change this team for next year, you can do it with one move. Of course this one move has to come after letting Kaberle, Gill, Campoli, and Gomez off the books. The one move is to go get a big, strong, tough, D man with a shot for the PP. Trade Markov if you have to. Maybe he’ll come back and play 15 games before the end of the year to help moving him. Put up Markov, Kaberle, Weber and Campoli with some draft picks and send them to Nashville for the bigger WEBER. Or get in a GM who can be creative to fill this huge leaking void on our team. I remember watching Souray coming into the Bell Center before a big Saturday Night Game and watching how his teammates walked behind him, looking a little more secure and confident, knowing that his prescence on and off the ice simply made it more enjoyable to be on the team.

Right now we have no one, no one on the back end who really leads. I love Gorges, but when it comes down to it, he’s unfortunately too small to really lay the smack down in front of Price.

10. alwayssunny says:

A few thoughts – first of all I like your take on P.K. The kid has some issues but he’s a young skilled player. I liked how he jumped in that scrum along the boards last night. There have been murmurs that he isn’t the best teammate. I have no idea how true that is but he was a good teammate in that instance. But I agree that he isnt untouchable. Nobody should be if you are a GM who does his job. Not Price, not Subban, nobody. Subban is having a terrible year and Price has had 5 years to prove he is an average goalie. The fans with the blinders are down to pointing at the Molson 3 stars as if that was a real statistic. The question is, can Gauthier be trusted with making a big move. I dont trust him thats for sure, I never did. When Gainey was allowed to appoint his own GM and declare that he had utmost confidence in him, I knew we were in for a few more bad years. Gainey had zero competence.
    I hear a lot of people comparing Gauthier/Gainey with Rejean Houle these days but they are two very different animals. One was an inept hedgehog, the other an inept fox.
    I heard Martin interviewed by Marinaro yesterday. Was nice to hear Martin outside of thejob because he seems like a really nice guy. Marinaro was like a shark during Martins last couple of months behind the bench so I thought it might have been awkward but it wasnt at all. Martin has a good grasp of aspects of the game but it’s like he’d be better off coaching robots. He emphasized his belief that goaltending and special teams are the key components but I dont believe they are enough and when one or the other go in the tank like they have this season, this squad has nothing else to rely on.
    It sounds ridiculous as they are losing every night but I like the way the team has played most games lately. I like Rene Bourque. I liked Max showing some fire last night. I have watched this team steadily lose nearly all of it’s respect over the last 6 or 7 years. I’d like to see an enforcer in the lineup. I dont care if he only plays 4 minutes. Would you like to see a list of the people we have had on our 4th line the last 6 years? We would not be making a sacrifice. Some still maintain they dont need one. If any team in the history of the NHL needed one, it’s the Habs.
    The people who are doing the playoff math should be looking in the other direction. What will it take to lock up a good lottery spot? If the habs keep playing with heart and not getting thrown around and diving and turtling and running away from players I can live with them losing games right now. The playoffs are out, forget about it. The time to look forward is right now. Gauthier has to make decisions right now and not be like his dad Gainey and sit around stunned all year and then reluctantly pick up his pen in the summer after most guys have packed their bags.

11. Thomas Le Fan says:

I pretty much enjoyed this hockey game but then, I don’t need my team to win all 82 games every year in order to love them.
    That said, how can you have Gomez in the shootout? Expecting him to score his first goal in almost a year is smart coaching? Maybe Subban and Cunneyworth should both watch the game tonight from the press box.
    Any talk of trading Subban is just plain panic. Fuggetaboutit. The kid is young and will make mistakes while playing too many minutes in one of the toughest position in pro sports.
    Did I mention I hate shootouts?

Go Habs!

12. GParrell78 says:

First post here, but wanted to throw something @ those who hate PK Subban. I cannot take credit for checking these stats, I am copying this from Mitch Melnik’s blog “The Good, The Bad & The Ugly”…

What’s Drew Doughty doing in LA? Ok, I’ll tell you. In 43 games Doughty is 3-17-20 pts +1. Subban, in 46 games, is 3-16-19 pts -1. Calder Trophy winner Tyler Myers has 8 points in 27 games this season, has been a healthy scratch, and is -8. In his 2nd NHL season Jack Johnson had 11 points and was -18. Second year defenseman Cam Fowler has played 45 games this season. He’s 3-15-18 pts -13. And to save us both a lot of time I’ll just jump ahead to Zdeno Chara who, in his second full season, played 65 games and was 2-9-11 pts -27.

13. LA Loyalist says:

Ok. Does PK screw up? Sure. He’s a kid carrying a HUGE mental burden.

He needs coaching and mentoring, and OBVIOUSLY he’s not getting it, and THAT is on management. He has outgrown Gill.

Forgive me for referencing this again, but it is important to understand. When Larry Robinson came up to the Habs, and before in Nova Scotia and Cornwall, he was nurtured, groomed, disciplined – like the fine but immature stallion that he was, until he grew into his body and matured and learned the pro game. He wasn’t just suddenly “Larry Robinson”.

But, because of Markov’s ongoing injury and bad management, Subban has to carry the mental burden of being the stud D, and he is making mistakes.

Is Markov the mentor PK needs? I have no idea, but if Markov were playing well, there wouldn’t be the same pressure.

We rushed Price and damn near ruined him (and the jury is still out, when it comes to pressure games) and we are rushing PK now.

Bad management, people. If we lose or wreck Subban, potentially a star for the ages, we are insane.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I was thinking of Robinson last night in reference to PK. Robinson’s development was before I was born, but Dryden talks about his (Robingson’s) growing pains in figuring out the kind of player he was going to be. The thing Robinson had in his favour was the time to figure it out, because he didn’t need to be the best defenceman on the team for the team to win.

____________________________________________________
      Dear Mtl Canadiens,
      Please beat Boston to tie the season series. You are about to cost me three bottles of rum in a little over a year.
      Love,
      Michael

14. ludwig44 says:

Tonight’s loss will put the final nail in the coffin of this horrendous season and hence begin the liquidation of our commodities. Let’s just hope that PG doesn’t totally ruin what positives this team has and makes moves that will accumulate prospects and picks not salaries and age.

15. boing007 says:

Subban had several choices to make and he chose the most dangerous, stupid one. Under the circumstances-finding himself hung out to dry by his teammates-icing the puck would have been the best decision to make. Then the blame for a busted play would not have rested entirely on his shoulders. If at all.

Richard R

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

I was thinking that too, use the damn glass! But I’m an overweight beer leaguer and PK is a blue chipper, so his thought process eliminates the easy play first. Maybe they need to start him from scratch?

____________________________________________________
      Dear Mtl Canadiens,
      Love,
      Michael

• Badwich says:

Watch a replay. Gomer was in position to pick up Subban’s pass on an open wing (at that point) and that’s what PK saw out of the corner of his eye. Gomer, a split second later, heads to starboard (his port). Gomer’s responsibility was clearly laid out in RC’s press conference and it wasn’t to haul anchor.

Taberwitt

16. Habsbill24 says:

Nobody is untradeable on this miserable team. PK is not close to the player he was last year but then again no one else is either. I love PK and would like to watch him develop as a Hab, but I love the Habs more and if they can improve by trading him for say Getzlaf even up, well we have other d-men coming up, but no big centers in the pipeline. So it all depends what you get for him if he is moved.

17. novahab says:

That short handed goal was not all PKs fault far from it. Yes he make a pass to no one but who the hell was suppose to be on the boards. If he is behind the net, is he also suppose to cover the front of the net to. He being told don’t carry the puck and that why he made the misjudgement this kid is confussed. I don’t believe for one minute he not coachable. So last year in the playoff when he was the man was he not coachable then. Send him to Boston and let see what you say then.

18. Bill J says:

The French media has an agenda when they dump on the Anglo players. Cammalleri was one, it possibly affected his play…. Rendering his trade value down.

Now it’s Subban, likely because the French media has heard a rumour that PK will yield a great French Canadian hope in return from the trade.

It’s brutal to listen to Antichambre, and so many buy into what they say… That’s what scares me the most.

What is rarely mentioned is Subban’s love of the Habs, yes he is not French. But IMO his love of this team makes him as passionate as any French Canadian hockey player. Why hasn’t Antichambre grasped that ?

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Chris says:

Don’t believe for a second that this is a French/English thing.

Patrice Brisebois, anyone?

• Bill J says:

Hadn’t thought of Breezer, but I think he was just that bad!

I dunno, just feels like there’s an agenda in Antichambre’s messages. Not just last night, almost all the time.

I could be off on the language thing, but it would not surprise me with how RDS has felt about only having a handful of people they can speak to in French for interviews over the years.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• boing007 says:

All of the RDS gang speak and understand English more than adequately. Most of them are either ex-players, ex-coaches or journalists who travel all over Canada and the U.S. every year to cover and write about Canadiens games. Bergeron coached the New York Rangers. Did Pat Burns communicate with all his players in French only? Doubt it. How complicated is the language of hockey anyway? Diagrams can easily replace words when there’s a language barrier. Emelin doesn’t speak either of our official languages. Perhaps if the RDS gang would stop harping on this non-issue of language, French Canadian hockey players might reconsider playing for the Montréal Canadiens.

Richard R

19. Chris says:

“Without risk, there is no genius” – Eric Cantona

Trading Subban would be a terrible mistake. Not because I think he is the best young defenceman in the NHL (he is not), but because he is one of the better young defencemen in the NHL.

Drew Doughty. Tyler Myers. Erik Karlsson. Cam Fowler. etc.

When you are dealing with young, offensively minded defencemen, you must be willing to accept that they will make many mistakes.

Hockey, like most sports, is a game of mistakes. You try to avoid making them while your opponent trys to force you into making them. Subban was pressured into making a mistake last night and it cost his team. It happens. If the team had done things properly, he would have had an “out”, but on that play somebody else (the very veteran Scott Gomez) also made a mistake. Subban gets left holding the bag.

I’m not as crazy about Subban’s chirping, but he is extremely talented and still learning. If any of you watched P.K. Subban in the OHL or Memorial Cup in his last season with the Belleville Bulls, he was literally all over the ice. He has come a ridiculously long way in terms of his positioning and defensive awareness relative to the undisciplined kid that he was just 3 or 4 years ago, and he’s still growing.

I doubt that Montreal will make the error of trading Subban. He makes mistakes on the ice, but he is generally a positive kid who doesn’t rock the boat. He’s not getting into trouble off the ice and he says all the right things in interviews. He will probably not be a captain or alternate captain anytime soon in the NHL (he is too much of a prankster and free spirit), but he IS the kind of guy that can prevent a dressing room from descending into doom and gloom.

Keep Subban, and live with his mistakes. The team isn’t going anywhere this season, so let him learn what he can and look forward to next season. That does not mean he should get free rein…a couple of games in the pressbox could be a good teaching/motivational tool for a kid like Subban.

20. fun police says:

The antichambre guys will pile on pk until fans treat him like brisebois, then they will pile on the habs for trading away kids and never developing them.
    The habs have a lot of problems this year. however, some of the blame falls on RC as well. last night, early in the game when there was a four on four, what the heck was moen doing on the ice. Plek’s and Moen? we weren’t killing a penalty. that is not playing to score, that is playing not to get scored on. that is JM like. at the end of the game, when they tied it up, Darche had two shifts in the last 4 minutes. again, essentially RC is not trying to win, just hold on for the tie.

21. rated_R says:

Everybody needs to just stay calm about PK.

22. remi_10069 says:

I did my PK bashing yesterday, more about his tude than his play but for him to come out and pull the move that he did only makes my point. You can’t win with someone like him.

Not sure what to complain about, happy no Web or Diaz, Campoli played harder than usual.

It’s looking like our “system” is busted. We give up our blue line while our competition holds theirs causing us problems on the PP.

Budaj played a good game but looked very small on Malkin’s shot.

The shootout lineup was retarded, RC isn’t helping his cause with moves like that. I don’t mind Gomez but last? He was hoping Pitts scored a 2nd so he didn’t have to go.

pipes

23. habstrinifan says:

Is it stupid to cry over this game, this team, and yes, the probability of yet another major blunder in the works.

24. pierre lapuck says:

Great article Mr.Boone. I was not able to watch the third period lst night but wasn’t shocked at this morning when I read the results. I am shocked however by the constant hate being sent PK’s way by the radio and TV guys in Montreal. It’s almost as if becasue he’s a black athelte people expect him to be the best defenseman in the league. The issue is coaching, he hasn’t had quality teaching since he left Hamilton and Guy Boucher. I’m SURE the Bolts would take him in a nano-second on Boucher alone’s say so. I sy fire all the talkiing (Empty) heads at RDS and TSN Montreal. And for goodness sake could someone put a sock in that Francois Gagnon’s mouth? What a tool.

25. Bill says:

I can’t think of a word bad enough for those l’Antichambre scumbags/a-holes/c**ks**ers/douchebags.

They always need someone to (deleted) on. Them and the rest of the french media whores ran Cammalleri out of town, and I guess Subban is next.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habs Requiem says:

Bill, you have to remember these “fine people” who are never truly satisfied are marching to their own “agenda”. There is a list of players on the “Always Hate/Do No Right” list and a similiar list of players who will always be on the more popular:”Always love Dat Guy/Useless Turd”. It’s a fine balancing act for these intellectual assclowns to chirp about which player(s) they wish to rip or support. Its just sad that they have so much “political” sway with things -> especially this Anglo / Francophone touchstone. That I find to be really bothersome.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own”.

– Adam Savage

26. habstrinifan says:

Go ahead and trade P.K. Subban Mr. PG.

I left my seats last year on many nights watching this kid. I am BLACK and originally from the Islands, so there was obviously a deep nervous attachment when I saw P.K skate for the HABS. Especially with a style and flair of the HABS who awakened my love for this game called hockey. Sure the fact that he was BLACK, like me,made me extremely proud. But it was the promise of finally being roused again by a HABS home-grown player who played the game like the habs players that brought me to this game.
    A kid growing up wearing my HABS jersey right in front of my eyes.. who loved the HABS and was drafted right out of Toronto. It all seemed like another HABS story about to be written.
    Go ahead and trade P.K. Subban Mr PG.

Give your RDS their pound of flesh. Give your fans who time and time again clamour for the ‘riding out of town’ of our young stars in the learning stages of their career.

Go ahead and trade P.K. Subban Mr. PG.

For the instant that you do it, ALL, yes all the sorry troubles of your team WILL be cleared. Your wonderful fans will excite in your new ‘cant miss’ acquisition. You know like the many many we have had who replaced some of our traded youngsters.

My love is the Canadiens, Mr. PG. I could never never tear myself away from that love. It is impossible. But I need to be able to watch a game and just enjoy the sport again Mr . PG. So go ahead and trade P.K. Subban… now..

But please trade him to a team in this year’s playoffs. I fear the months of May and June without the desire to rush to my couch and bask in the excitement of the playoffs.I dont reall enjoy them when my HABS are not in the playoffs.

I wish they would be in Mr PG. But it doesnt seem likely. It must be because of P.K. Subban (surely) that your so wonderfully managed and coached and guided HABS most likely wont be there.

So go ahead and trade P.K. Subban Mr PG. you will.

I may turn out to be 100% stoopid and wrong Mr. PG. And I am old enough and honest enough to admit that, because I am BLACK and from the Islands, I am letting that emotional pride in seeing, at 64 yrs of age (so you know it may be this once in my lifetime) someone with similar heritage play for MY HABS, as a STAR resembling those of the glory years.

I may be wrong and P.K Subban is truly a BUM! Frankly Mr Pg I dont think I am. I think if I ask Pat Q he would say I am not wrong Mr PG.

But you and RDS and your wonderful fans know best.

So go ahead and trade P.K Subban Mr. PG. I finally think I am ready for it.

27. Mad Habber says:

I glad not everyone is jumping on the blame PK wagon. RDS and the french media have painted a big bulls-eye on him, and nearly everyone is jumping on.

Last Year: GP:77 G:14 A: 24 PTS:38 -8 PIM:124 PPGs:9 PtsPG: 0.49

On Pace: GP:80 G:5 A:28 PTS:33 -2 PIM:93 PPG:1 PtsPG: 0.41

He hasn’t improved, but his plus/minus is better on a team that is not as good as last season. Plus he is playing on average two minutes more a game, and is also part of the other teams game plan. The only real decline in his game his power play goals. But the french media wants you to believe otherwise.

28. HABitual Fan says:

It’s amazing how the vets get a free ride on this team. The money men have been stinkin’ the place out all season but they don’t sit for their zero production. If Emilen makes a mistake, he’s pretty sure of his seating arrangement in the next game. Gomez is out of position on the glaring error by PK, but he doesn’t miss a shift and is called upon to save their bacon in the shoot out!
    On a side note … To tell you the truth, I like seeing a pulse on the bench … the exchange between the coaching staff and players is long overdue. I have a feeling that when Roy takes the helm, you’ll see lots of that!

“… but it’s better than cheering for the Leafs!”

• Mats Naslund 26 says:

I agree I think Roy is the next guy to step in for Randy. He will add some fire behind the bench and he is a true winner.
      What do we do about Gomez? I guess we buy him out and eat the money we all know Molson has the money as we continue to fill the barn every night and watch the most pathetic team since Zholtok (RIP) was our leading scorer! So we drop Gomer, trade Gionta at the deadline, trade Gill at the deadline, and maybe even move Plekanec (for atleast a 2nd round pick)… and we start to build the one way the Penguins, Caps, and Hawks did 5+ years ago. There is just one problem !!! We still have Gauthier running the team! The habs will problably get back to 500 for the deadline and Gauthier will make so unrealisitc push for the 8th spot, and buy some more junk. We are proud frnchise but we need to be sellers this year. I saw this site and I think its great. http://www.firegautheir.com the guy offers up 5$ to the Montreal Childrens Hospital when you buy a shirt. I just ordered one!

29. Marc10 says:

I can’t believe PK is getting the entire blame for that play. The entire breakdown originates with Pleks quitting on that play. He quit on his teammate, he quit on the team and Cunney sent right back out there.

That’s the veteran leadership we have on this team. Absolutely none. It’s a disgrace.

I don’t blame PK for taking exception. He was hung out to dry by a vet. Maybe someone can find out who the heck is the Captain on this team. It sure ain’t Le Gros Bill… that’s for sure.

• montrealtilldeath says:

The one thing I noticed about PK is something I saw in Gretzky they both play with what I call a photo in your head of where every one is. PK when he rushes back to pick up the puck off the end board always takes a peek to get the picture. Gretzky always did this. The problem on that play was as Cunnyworth said was Gomez moved and abandoned his position. I know he should have rechecked but we all do at one time or another what he did and see what we expect to see even though it is not there. He has to learn and will learn. Bobby Holik and Scott stevens are right on in saying this guy will be a tremendous player. Remember he is a defenceman not a forward and it takes about 4 years. We expect this guy to carry the team in his SECOND YEAR. If we trade this guy because of our frustration over the team losing the laughter from people who really know the game will be deafening. I watch Kaberle make mistakes like this evey game. Imagine a defenceman (Kaberle) having played all year and has only 4 minutes in penalties.

30. slimjim111 says:

This is all reminiscent of the 00′ Habs…

They’re gonna give me ulcers, I swear. What an incompetent organization. You fire a coach (who we all believed was underachieving), then bring in the assistant coach to lead the team, only to tell everyone that he’s only temporary.

How on earth do you expect players to take him seriously when they all know that he will most likely be let go at the end of the season?!

THEN, you get rid of Cammalleri (who was also believed to be underachieving) when you still have Gomez laying around and hogging cap space, not to mention underachieving more than Cams.

THEN, you have a player like Subban who is only 21. Yes, he might be talented in his own way, but when a 21 year old player makes the same mistake time after time it starts to take the piss. Then he also has the balls to actually sit on the bench and argue with the coaching staff. Really?! How many players in the minors have the audacity to start a rhetoric with the coach even though this wasn’t his first offense. Because honestly, he’s got a LOT to learn about discipline and playing in the majors have clearly gotten to his head.

Give me a break. He’s 21. He’s NOT Bobby Orr. He’s not the most popular guy in the league, let alone the team.

Now I know we’ve all seen this scenario: Habs sell a player, 3 years later he becomes a leading star on team X. But honestly, this isn’t about selling him. It’s about sending a message.

If there is any sense to this coaching staff, scratch him. 3,4,5 games whatever it takes. Honestly, we are better off with Diaz or Weber in defense then a guy who makes 4,5 ‘highlight’ reel moves, which 2 lead to a goal against his own team.

If only Tortorella was coaching the Habs…

• Da Hema says:

I agree with some of your points, but a few things need to be pointed out since so many other posters are also stating falsehoods. Subban is 23, not 21. When I was 23, I had a masters degree. Subban seems to be 23 going on 15. I partly blame the organization for this — the parallels with Sergei Kostitsyn are becoming too noticeable to overlook. In other words, the team should have allowed Subban to mature more in the AHL.

I agree trading Subban would be a mistake at this point. However, can you name me one young Montreal Canadien who was traded in the last 15-20 years who ended up being a “leading star on team X?” Patrick Roy doesn’t count since he was an established star. Nor does Eric Desjardins for the same reason. The only player who fits this is John Leclair, but that was ages ago.

• slimjim111 says:

Ha! Yeah, well as you said 23 going on 15… I doubt there was much difference between the 21 year old PK and 23.

I agree with you on having allowed him to mature more in Hamilton.

As for the bad trades, Ryan McDonaugh is 1. Mike Ribeiro is 2. Darcy Tucker (back in the day) is number 3. Grabovski even though he was a rotten apple at the time and probably can’t be considered a leading star is number 4. Wiesnewski (maybe not a star) but someone that could be more reliable than PK.

But we probably are not worst than the Leafs when it comes to letting go of young talent that flourish later on…

• Da Hema says:

I am not disputing the viewpoint that the Canadiens have traded young players and not received comparable assets in return. Indeed, as I posted elsewhere, since 1990 the Montreal Canadiens have been bleeding away all their administrative, coaching, and player talent. What I rejected was your claim that the Canadiens have traded players who became “leading stars” on other teams. The Canadiens haven’t even had a “leading star” since Patrick Roy. No organization can remain competitive if it fails to find, develop, and retain assets, which is precisely what has happened to the Montreal Canadiens.

• slimjim111 says:

Point taken.

• Mats Naslund 26 says:

not just the trades… but poor drafting!
            Leblanc (not that young anymore same age as tavares)
            David Fishcer(playing ECHL drafted before Giroux)
            Ben Maxwell (????)
            danny Kristo (still getting his masters in NCAA or something)
            Kyle CHipcura(just got his #1 goal of season)
            Andre Kostitsyn
            Cory Urquart(playing in 2nd league Germany)
            Chris Higgins
            Chirs Linhard(playing in 5th league europe)
            those are top 1 and 2 picks since Gauthier has been part of the HABS.
            check this site and join the movement http://www.firegauthier.com

31. Da Hema says:

This is funny, but in a truly disturbing way….

32. topher5468 says:

Funny Boone, no mention of yet another slew-foot by Subban, Don’t get me wrong, I can appreciate his talent but what I can’t stand is his giant (deleted), the ease in which he falls down and turtles when he pushes some player to go at him after his immature on ice antics. Oh and one more thing, Our Coach should be the best candidate that can turn our franchise around, that is if winning is the most important thing to this organization, But im starting to question that.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I watched the actual hockey game itself and not the TSN highlights package, so I didn’t see any “slew-foot”.

“Max Pacioretty could be our Phil Kessel”
      – Sean Bonjovi

33. Captain aHab says:

I’ve been testing my advanced stat – the Ahab – for close to half a season now and I’m glad to report that it is amazingly predictive in nature…scoring more goals than the other team correlates amazingly well with wins.

I find it funny when I hear people talk about how unlucky the Habs are. Years ago, some golf players used to accuse one of their colleagues (Gary Player or Arnold Palmer) of being very lucky. His response was classic: “it’s a funny thing but the more I practice, the luckier I get.”

It’s not that the Habs are unlucky, it’s that they suck. I wish the advanced stats gurus would just pull up their tents, admit they’re wrong and just go away.

34. spirek says:

for me it would be a perfect trade http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/44286-Campbell-Why-the-Lightning-and-Canadiens-should-trade-coaches.html

Guy needs some redemption, as the same as the Habs do. What else former, Hamilton coach with success, speaks French :)
    and for Cunneyworth coaching developing should be much easier in Tampa

• Da Hema says:

If they took Cunneyworth and Gomez for Boucher, I’d be as giddy as a school girl!

I laughed when Campbell wrote this trade should be considered by “whoever replaces Pierre Gauthier as GM in Montreal.” :-)

35. Habtastic says:

The AC crew are so abominably pathetic. They lovvvve to play the blame game and talk about how when they coached (yeah right) they would never accept that.

Forget that PK was unbelievable last year. Still pretty good with a lackluster team that asks him to hold back this yeah and is going to be amongst the most explosive players for years to come.

When Nokes got nailed against the boards, it was PK who tried to deliver a devastating check for his compatriot. We ended up scoring 10 seconds later.

Go Price, Go Subban. Go future!

————–
    The Drive for 25

• Mondou6 says:

I’m glad you mentioned that, I noticed it too at the time. Noki got crushed on the boards, and right after Subban stepped up to try to blast someone at mid-ice.

I thought, thank god someone is trying to retaliate for a change.

36. The Cat says:

The team does need someone that can handle or get through to PK, but it doesnt have to be the coach. The habs need a D-man with clout who isnt averse to ‘tuning a guy up’ – a Darian Hatcher type of guy. Brett Hull did confess that the fear of Hatcher and Craig Ludwig on the Dallas Stars kept him and a lot of guys in line with the program.

• Da Hema says:

Chelios and Nilan used to play that role with the Canadiens. One time they both informed Stephane Richer that if he didn’t start hitting and checking during games, they would hit and check him in practice. And they did. Indeed, they put Richer on the injured list one time as a result of practice contact. Chelios may have been a handful for coaches (he didn’t seem to bother Burns though), but no one ever doubted his intense commitment to on-ice play. When I read some posters claiming Cammalleri was a “winner” and “leader,” I don’t know whether to laugh, cry, or retch.

• The Cat says:

Yeah Cammalleri isnt a leader, I dont think the habs have that well rounded leader on the team. Like a good team structure should have a well rounded leader and a very good co-leader. I dont think the habs have a guy that’d be co-leader material on a good team.

• Da Hema says:

They do have leadership with players like Gorges and Cole, but it seems to me some others (e.g., Gill) have pretty much packed it in this year and are now thinking about fishing and downing beer on the beach.

• ffenliv says:

Gill isn’t thinking about fishing and drinking; he’s thinking about the contender he’ll be traded to before the deadline.

37. harrow15 says:

I DONT THINK IVE SEEN COLE IN A FREAKING SHOOTOUT YET THIS YEAR. HE’S OUR LEADING GOAL SCORER… TAKE A HINT!

PENS ELECT MALKIN, HE SCORES.
    HAWKS ELECT TOEWS, HE SCORES.
    AVS ELECT HEJDUK, HE SCORES.

ITS NOT FREAKIN ROCKET SCIENCE.

Putting a guy like Gomez who is almost a year without a goal is just plain stupid. I mean I want him to score to get his confidence up but really, you cant get much colder than that… you must be playing to lose.

FFS!!!!!!

• The Cat says:

Some players want nothing to do with the SO; they end up thinking too much and end up looking like a fool.

38. Mike D says:

I’m absolutely baffled by some of the flack that P.K.’s getting from some on this site and certain members of the media (namely the RDS crew). Shocked.

He’s not without his faults, he needs to clean up parts of his game, and he has some work to do, but the kid is going to be an amazing NHL Dman. He has elite-level skills and anyone who can’t see that doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Markov can’t get back soon enough if for nothing else than to guide PK.

Have a look at the 2007 draft. In fact, here’s the link:

Take a look and try to honestly tell me that if they did a re-draft he wouldn’t go inside the top 10 knowing what we know now.

I’ll agree he hasn’t progressed much since last year, and certain parts of his game have actually regressed, but if the team gives up on him, or doesn’t know how to handle him and end up ruining him, or trades him for a sub-par return I will be completely pissed, and the Habs (and their fans) will regret it for a loooong time.

Be patient. We’re not winning the Cup this year anyways so strengthen the future. Develop the kid properly along with some of our other overly-gifted youngsters, and we might have a chance to reclaim some of the glory that was once so frequently ours.

– Honestly yours

39. Selkie says:

all you P K stat masters and this and that i personally don’t care this or that way of stats 2yrs of what expert predict (side note were all HABS fans and i’m not here to insult, i know when its all said and done we just want our team to get back to normal and succeed respectfully) give the kid a chance to mature not just two seasons greanted its not what we expected but it is what it is. lets move on and wait hopefully not too long for this amazing fanchise to win again!

40. SlovakHab says:

I think we should be extremely grateful for Price and Subban.
    I challenge every hater to name an NHL team with a 24-years-old goalie and 22-years old D-man that you can build a team around.

Bernier and Doughty? We’ll talk when Bernier plays 65+ games a season.

We are extremely lucky and we should cherish this season as a blessing. We might be able to draft a stud winger if we continue to experience the growing pains.. Add him to Price, Subban, Tinordi, Bealieau, Eller, Pacioretty and others – and we are really competitive in 5 years.

In fact, I would LOVE us to draft high 2 years in a row; i.e. have another 28-39th overall place season after hopefully this one.

Play Subban and Price lots, let them grow, show them support and we are as good as Bruins are now in a few years – I am pretty sure.

No more free agent signings or trades a la Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, Tanguay (btw. what these small, non-physical and overpaid forwards have in common?) – build from within, trade from the position of strength, sign or trade for complementary players (a la Moen, Halpern, Metro, Moore, Wiz…) rather than cornerstones and we’ll be fine.

• Habitoba says:

If you look at Detroit, that’s exactly their way of building their team and who wouldn’t want our Habs to have Detroit’s record right now?

Tanguay… man did he ever fall off the chart

• Selkie says:

alot of that is a great reality i would love, just sucks to wait that long, but hey another cleche: it might be worth it, alot of that comment makes me sorta at ease a little untill there next game when we get frustrated all over again ha ha ‘does anybody remember laughter?’

41. Un Canadien errant says:

Just to take a step back and get a more objective opinion:

To sum up, he got a 8.0 B grade, which means they projected him as a #2 defenceman, with a 90% chance of reaching his potential. Comparables include Duncan Keith and Dan Boyle.

Note he didn’t get a 9 or 9.5, so we probably have him erroneously locked in as a superstar in the making based on a good run to the playoffs last season.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Da Hema says:

There is something else I have noticed about Subban. He is not developing his strength. He is easy to knock off the puck, which is surprising to me given his sturdy frame, and it looks to me like he is playing scared — that is, he isn’t willing to take a hit to make the less-risky play.

I am not suggesting the Habs trade him — principally because this team cannot afford to give up another young defenceman at this point — but I have concerns about his development. When Chelios first started playing in the NHL, he made mistakes too, but he also became meaner and nastier because opponents were targeting him (especially his knees). If the best Subban can do is flap his mouth in response to challenges, he may well end up having a very short NHL career.

42. Habitoba says:

Here’s a stretch:

PK is in his second full year and what is he, 21? (I’m too lazy to check right now). Max Pac was in the system a while before blossoming into what we see today. He’s been great but he’s not a #1 winger just yet by elite NHL standards (I put him in the same boat as Evander Kane… maybe a little higher in part because of better linemates). PK is great but maybe he’s not a #1 D yet. Maybe he’s been thrust into the#1 spot a little too early and is playing beyond his means now (I know, injuries have played a part in that). Sure, he’s got Gill to mentor him but we’re comparing apples to oranges: Stay at home D teaching a jump-start D. When you have people playing outside of their little box (in this case, Pk’s box might be 18-20 mins a game for now), you get tentative play. When you have the weight of the entire defense on your shoulders and you’re not ready for it, you start doubting yourself and playing reaction hockey, especially if he’s gassed from playing too much and getting drilled by everybody about your crappy play. I wouldn’t want any D on the ice playing the minutes PK is playing except Gorges, Markov and Hamrlik, were he still here. The coaches, players, fans might simply be putting too much on him to handle. Give him time and he’ll mature into a better player. When everything goes well, you don’t learn much. When the wheels start falling off and you take a step back (i.e. missing the playoffs) some people can learn from mistakes and come back stronger. How long does a team wait until he learns from his mistakes? No clue but half a season is no reason to kick a player to the curb especially in Montreal where the fans and media can be nothing short of vultures. Give the kid time to learn. Not everybody is called Crosby and can dominate a game from day 1.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Habitoba, I want to gently chide you on your post. You say you think P.K. is 21, but you’re not sure and are too lazy to check, but you then take the time to write a lengthy post containing your opinion.

It takes 10 seconds to Google it. I did. He’s actually going to turn 23 in May.

Now, if you don’t have the energy to check your facts, why should I spend the time to read your post?

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Habitoba says:

Ha, I never stated it as fact but you’re absolutely right, I write all this and didn’t take the time to check. Only off by one year ain’t so bad at 1:30 in the morning though.

43. matt jordan says:

in the 2000-2001 season the Montreal canadiens won about 34% of their games, this edition the final of Rejean Houle’s tenure

this season, the canadiens have won 36% of their games

44. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

I’ve watched every game so far this year and here’s what I see……..
    No power play goals no wins….No Markov no power play goals….No real point shot or set up man (Markov) no powerplay goals…No power play goals not many wins….

I think the NUMBER 1 problem with PK is that he’s playing better than he thinks he is. It seems like after his breakout playoffs and good year last year he now plays and makes plays expecting to have them happen then making them happen. He plays like a little rat non Canadian style of hockey. He whines, turtles, has no toughness but a big mouth, can’t back up his actions with results, reaches for the rafters whenever winding up for a slapshot almost everytime he shoots…takes selfish shots…and doesn’t seem to be learning because from the amount of turnovers I’ve witnessed him have turn into goals I can confidently say that he alone has cost this team almost 15-20% of this teams collected losses

Anybody who consideres bashing Price should realize we’d be easily in last without him. EASILY…A goalie is as good as the team in front of him…If you can’t on average score more than 2 goals a game (NO POWERPLAY GOALS OR BARELY ANY) you’re not going to win very many games this season

45. Habondarock says:

Subban is an NHL stud defence man with a bantam ‘B’ attitude. “nough said!

46. mb says:

I’m sorry if it’s already been discussed, but I didn’t see in on this thread.

So I ventured myself in reading comments on TSN and I read several posts about Subban’s slewfoot on a Pens player tonight. Did anyone notice something of the sort?

I know it’s TSN and it’s not like I refer to these comments, but since there are many on the subject, I thought I might ask everyone here if they actually saw this play?

47. temekuhabs says:

When the backup plays only 7 games, of course his stats will be better,

• cupdelusions says:

Why does Carey Price whose lifetime stats,current stats,and playoff stats over 5 years have been-to be charitible-AVERAGE have so much support??? I just don’t get it.
      Is it marketing???Is it alegence to the team??
      Can’t you guys see apart from stats Price lets in easy goals,first goals,and point shots time after time???
      Give Budaj a chance.3 points in 2 games is not bad with Campoli and Kaberle on the D.
      TO CANDIEN ERRANT-I can see you are totally clueless.PK is our best defenseman.Period.The coaching on this team is a joke.We need a real coach like Pittsburgh has,who can exploit weaknesses on the other team;where it doesn’t take 45 games -this long- to use the high slot on the PP.
      Hockey is a game of mistakes.I can go on for 200 lines about the coaching deficits I see but here are a few.
      1)ON Penalty kill-not lined up on own blue line.Too easy acess to our zone
      2) On Penalty kill-we never attack their zone we are too scared about there offense.Pittsbugh short handed goal was a result of 2 men in OUR zone forcing the turnover.
      3) Randy Ladouceur has not worked with the D on keeping “tight gap” against on rushing forward.Result-Other teams wingers are getting shots away very close to our goalie.Work on gap closure not giving crap to Subban.The play was over.Its as much Ladouceurs fault or the PP set up.
      case closed.

PLEASE NO MORE PRICE!!!!

A canonnanding drive!!

• The Jackal says:

Hahaha, we got a comedian on the site to help us through the bad times!

• Brown_Hab_Fan says:

The fact I’m going to reply to this makes me feel like an idiot so I’ll make it short…without Price we’d have an easy cusion on last place

• slychard says:

Thank God we didn’t have to go through 200 lines of that horrible spelling.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Jim Edson says:

Joined the site today as well!

Troll!

———————————————————————-
        What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

48. gK_HabsFan says:

Is Subban really playing that bad?!

I do not think so!

PK was drafted 43rd overall in his draft year. This guy is not a phenom, but a very talented and gifted individual. He is not going to be a crosby, malkin or ovechkin… but a guy that is going to have to work extremely hard to reach his full potential. Subban last year was thrusted into a role he was not ready for, and if anyone remembers, he played like crap in the first half until he picked it. The ones to blame here is the organization for not getting PK an adequate vet that can relieve him of the work load and mentor him. Hal Gill is not what I am talking about. I’m talking about a guy that play heavy minutes and also put up good offensive numbers, a type of guy PK can model his game around. The same mistake was made with Price, in terms of getting him a veteran backup to show him the ropes. It just seems like the organization does not learn from its mistakes.

Lets face it, the Habs suck this year, and it is going to have a trickle down effect on all the players including PK. Yes, PK is not perfect, but by trading him away you better hope we get someone that can adequately play his minutes, otherwise, you’re doing the organization a disservice.

=====

PK: (3G, 15A, 18P) 0 +/-

Here are some guys you can compare PK to:

1) John Carlson, who along with PK, entered the league last year, and was considered a Calder candidate (Was not even nominated). He plays on a far superior team:
    (5G, 18A, 23P) 0 +/-

2) Jamie McBain: (4G, 14A, 18P) -7 +/-

3) Tyler Myers (3G, 5A, 8P) -8 +/- (only 27 GP)

4) Drew Dougthy (3G, 17A, 20P) 1 +/-

5) And finally, Kris Letang, a Norris Trophy candidate. It took him a full 4 years in the NHL before he broke out for 50 points.
    In his second year, he had 33 points. However, in his third year he dipped in production to 27 points. How glad must the pens be that they didn’t trade him away!

It is not the end of the world. Players have bad season, but guess what, they also have bounce back seasons and can go on to have illustrious careers. Its a learning process that all the aforementioned players are going through or have gone through. PK is no exception!

Relax folks… Let the guy Mature, put him in a better environment, and I guarantee PK will come out of this a better player

• slychard says:

I think the majority feel the same as you in regards to PK, reading the negatives on this site is not a proper gauge for the masses. As for the RDS crew well… At least Boone has it right. (see above) PK will be fine, give him time. It’s not like the rest of the D-corp is doing miracles this season either. It is after all a team sport.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• mb says:

Totally agree. If you only read some comments on here and watched RDS, you’d think that PK is the only problematic player on this team. Fact is, like you stated, the rest of the D-men aren’t exactly the best I’ve ever seen. PK has just become the new scapegoat of the masses. All I hope is that he won’t be run out of town.

• gmur says:

I agree. PK is 21 years old, for crying out loud. So he’s cocky. So what? So in his sophomore season he makes mistakes both in the room and on the ice. So what? If he has to be benched, do so, but let’s not trade a potential star. When Chelios was young, he was all over the place, hitting too much, taking chances, making mistakes off the ice. Once he grew up a bit and learned to play within his strengths, he was a star. I’m not saying Chelios and Subban are the same type of defenceman, far from it. But they will have something in common if Subban is traded. Their exodus from Montreal will be a black mark on the team for a very long time to come. I don’T want to watch Subban tearing up the league with another team while we receive another Janne Ninimma in return. Hopefully, Canadiens brass have learned not to trade away players with attitude.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Completely, completely disagree. Chris Chelios was sold to us as ‘Le Sauveur’ by Serge Savard, and when he finally was done with the US Olympic Team he immediately became a very effective player for the Canadiens. He played as advertised. Smart, fast, tough, physical. Did I say smart? Good offensively, carried the puck with ease, had a good shot, played well in his own end. Made mistakes of commission, not mistakes of omission.

To compare P.K. to mister Chelios is an instructive analogy, but they are not equivalent at all in their development at this point in their career.

———————————
        How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• slychard says:

Agreed, Chelios became an instant favorite of mine when he first stepped on forum ice. His trade probably p’d me off more then the Roy trade, if that’s possible. He should have played his entire career a Hab. PK is a keeper but you can’t compare the two.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          Kiss my hAbSS!!!

• Da Hema says:

I agree with Red Fisher that the Chelios trade was the beginning of the modern rot in the organization. The 1993 Cup concealed the problems that were emerging — namely, that the Canadiens were bleeding away all their administrative and player assets. We are just now finding out that the team’s claim that Chelios was a “problem player” and “wanted out” of Montreal was pure propaganda. Sickens me really. Sometimes I wonder why I bother cheering for this team….

• Jim Edson says:

With Irving Grundman, a convicted crook as GM what did you expect he only knew bowling and cared only about money!

———————————————————————-
            What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Irving Grundman can be blamed for many catastrophes, but trading away Chris Chelios is not one of them. Serge Savard made that trade for Denis Savard.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• gmur says:

Sorry, do you imply that PK was not sold to us as a very effective offensive defenceman after winning gold in the World juniors, dominating his league as a junior, etc etc? And when he joined the playoffs as a rookie and helped shut down Crosby, and the other Pens big stars, are you saying he didn’t have an immediate, major impact? And last season when he almost won rookie of the year, he wasn’t a major offensive star? Didn’t he bring a physical presence that made opposing forwards keep their heads up coming into our zone… and get under opponents’s skins, much like Chelios did (not with the physical impact Chelios brought every game, granted… but he loved to get into opponents’ heads…)? I think the comparison with Chelios is an apt one. PK did play as advertised when he arrived and through his first complete season, had a major impact but is having a tough sophomore year. If and when PK is traded as a knee-jerk reaction, as Chelios was, the comparison will be complete.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s a question of degrees gmur. P.K. was hailed as an impact player after his World Junior performances, but maybe we are putting too big a load on his shoulders. Also, remember that he was sent to Hamilton out of junior, since it was thought he wasn’t quite ready for the big leagues yet.

Mr. Chelios stepped right onto the Canadiens roster from the US Olympic team in 1984 and played major minutes. In the playoffs, he had 10 points and 17 penalty minutes in 16 games.

In his second season, he scored 9 goals and added 55 assists, as well as 87 penalty minutes in 74 games. He chipped in 2 goals and 8 assists in 9 games in the playoffs.

Strictly according to these numbers, and certainly based on my recollection, Mr. Chelios was a couple notches above where Mr. Subban is currently. Their first two seasons are not comparable, Chris was head and shoulders above P.K.’s current output. 11 out of 10 GM’s and 11 out of 10 coaches would take Chris Chelios over P.K., 11 out of 10 times. It’s not even close.

I’m not hating on P.K., I really liked how he played last season and during the playoffs, but he has crashed back down to earth this year, and crashed hard. With the current state of affairs it bears asking whether a change of scenery is in order for him.

———————————
            How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• matt jordan says:

great post

49. Un Canadien errant says:

Where to start? I could go on and on about giving Scott Gomez the opportunity to take a shootout attempt. In terms of strategy, and in terms of setting an example to the team that performance and effort and results will be rewarded, what a horrible coach’s decision. Mr. Cunneyworth must have been playing a huge hunch, and Mr. Gomez responded by rolling snake eyes. Maybe Mr. Cunneyworth has thrown in the towel too, and doesn’t believe he’ll be here beyond the spring. In this case, he should understand that the rest of the season is his audition for another job. Not too many GM’s will look favourably on this and other headscratchers he’s made lately.

This near-win was brought to you by Marc-André Fleury. He appeared weak on two Montreal goals, and staked the Canadiens a two-goal lead twice. As a trusty veteran though, he shut the door in the third period and allowed his team to come back.

Peter Budaj, meanwhile, battled the puck all game, with a few Palmateeresque saves as he flopped around like a dolphin in a tuna net, the puck ping-ponging around him. What seemed early on to be a good decision to rest Carey Price didn’t turn out well. He, as opposed to Mr. Fleury, got weaker as the game progressed. He ended playing just well enough to lose.

Two of my whipping boys, Andrei Kostitsyn and Tomas Kaberle, both tallied two points, which is positive in that this will help their eventual trade value. Mr. Kaberle was so awful defensively on some sequences that I laughed out loud out loud. Andrei was productive, cashing in some opportunities. I noticed him a couple of times trying to carry the puck into the offensive zone, which affirmed the perception that he’s a sniper but not much of a playmaker.

David Desharnais again punched above his weight class, buzzing around in the offensive zone, fighting hard along the boards, and I observed two solid, effective bodychecks against bigger opponents that separated them from the puck.

The unavoidable topic of conversation though is P.K. Subban’s theatrics tonight. Personally, I give up on him. He’s now in the Darcy Tucker-Claude Lemieux category, a player I’m ashamed to have on my team. His outburst on the bench with assistant coach Randy Ladouceur was embarrassing. Anyone, with any sense at all, knows that you don’t argue with your boss. Especially in front of your coworkers. With 20 000 spectators watching and TV cameras pointed at you. That he went ahead and did so shows a significant lack of intellect, or at least emotional intelligence. Immediately after, during his shift on the Max Pacioretty goal, he was a whirling dervish, streaking up and down the ice trying to make things happen, being everywhere on the ice except where he should have been. When Peter Budaj made his outlet pass to Erik Cole, P.K. was nowhere in sight, having rushed far up the ice and generated an odd-man rush for the Penguins.

In the overtime period, P.K. was partnered with Josh Gorges and received an easy cross-ice pass from him as they were setting up the rush. They weren’t being pressured and had clear possession of the puck, yet P.K. ineffectually, with complete lack of concentration and effort, muddled the puck back over to him, but softly and behind Josh, so that he had to turn around and race back to corral the puck in the corner. Josh got to wrestle with some big Penguins forwards for a few seconds and had his face tattooed on the glass for his trouble. I’ll stress again that what was a routine situation turned into a life or death situation that Josh Gorges had to sacrifice and battle to rectify, solely due to Mr. Subban’s putrid play and hockey IQ.

P.K. seems to be all wrapped up in himself. On the ice, he overthinks everything and expends effort at the wrong time, making the difficult play instead of the easy one way too often, but conversely doesn’t bear down on the simple passes and places himself and his team in trouble.

During the preamble to the scrap between Chris Kunitz and Max Pacioretty, he rushed at Mr. Kunitz, seemingly to avenge a hard but clean hit on Erik Cole. Sure enough, all he did was yap and whirl around and let others do the fighting. That would have been a great time for him to expend some of that vaunted energy of his, and to display some of the gym strength he works so hard to attain. If not, he should just shut his yap and not try to start trouble.

I’ll say it again. P.K. and Andrei Kostitsyn should be the nucleus of a package for Shea Weber.

Of course, trying to trade him now, when he has cratered his own trade value, and when the Canadiens are desperate and not dealing with other teams from a position of strength, is tantamount to organizational suicide, but the time has come to consider if trading him away would be a case of addition by subtraction.

Which means that what must happen is for Mr. Subban to get some sense and humility and discipline drilled into him. He needs to sit out three games and enjoy the view from the pressbox. Even better, let’s send him to Hamilton for 10-20 games to find his game. And yes I’m serious.

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• montreal ace says:

I would love Shea Weber as a Hab, I would do that trade in a second for him, and give him a contract like the ones Detroit gives out, front loaded and hardly anything at the end. I always like reading your posts, as they offer a fresh take on the game and players

• Un Canadien errant says:

Aside from the f-bombs, I understand your points, but understand mine. Yes he’s young and talented, and yes he was rushed up last season, but he has to be accountable for his screwups. Mistakes of inexperience are excusable, but not those he’s making, by being lazy and not bearing down.

I don’t want to trade him just to get rid of him, but he’s no longer an untouchable in my book.

Let’s remember that P.K. was a 2nd round draft pick, and we thought we might have had a huge steal. It would be interesting to read the scouting reports on him in junior and see if the stuff he’s doing now was what dropped him out of the first. Maybe a lot of teams saw the potential and talent, but also saw the risks and passed. Maybe we have overinflated, baseless expectations when it comes to him.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

• Bertuzzi says:

Hey errant,

Always look forward to your comments. Definitely would NOT trade PK. Young; tons of talent. Too much responsibility. Rotten season for everyone.

• Da Hema says:

By the way, I always appreciate your observations and assessments. Nicely done on the Gazette feature!

• Da Hema says:

Moderators must be comatose….

50. temekuhabs says:

Same to all you Price bashers, gets little to no goal support, keeps teams in games, guys want him traded??? For whom?? *shakes head*

• cupdelusions says:

Price has not demonstrated that he is an elite NHL goalie.READ THE STATS!!!! NUMBERS DONT LIE!!!
      PEOPLE DO!!!
      Price is all about marketing and that fact that Gainey can’t admit that his 5th overall draft choice has not done it.So instaed of dealing with reality he trades that 271st draft choice who was better.That is called, in psychological terms, cognitive dissonace or being unable to deal with reality.
      Unless all top tier of management is turfed this executive game of musical chairs will continue.Who is currently pulling the strings???I think its still Gainey..although I have no proof other than these imbecillic moves.

PLEASE NO MORE PRICE!!!!!I BEG YOU!!!

A canonnanding drive!!

• Man Dingga says:

He was elite last season? The Defence was gutted at the end of last season and we now have young guys in roles that are meant for better players. Sorry on any other team Weber, Diaz, Campoli and Kaberle are 6th or 7th D-men. Subban and Emelin are our young standouts who you have to let play, this is called growing pains.

How’s this for a stat, we can’t score goals but keep convincing yourself that Price is to blame. Tonight we scored four goals, thats very rare. Check this stat out, we have lost 19 games this season by one goal.

51. jew4jah says:

any word on markov?

chara = חרה

52. temekuhabs says:

Can’t believe there is people on here that would even think about trading PK .. For whom???

53. temekuhabs says:

I sure hope that Gauthier doesn’t do something stupid and trade that D-Man that wears 76..

• cupdelusions says:

HEY TEMEKUHABS!!-Gauthier do something stupid!!?? Is the sky blue?Is the Pope Catholic??
      Yeh lets trade a 21 or 22 year old d man who in 1-2 years will be going through teams like Paul Coffe did. Or lets trade Mike Ribero for Yanni NInima.
      Bobby Ryan IS available and he is a terrific player.Trade Price the 5th overall draft choice who gives up the first goal 75% of the time(vs 23% for Budaj;17% for Halak).Keep BUDAJ in nets!!!!

PLEASE NO MORE PRICE!!!! PLEASE!!!!

A canonnanding drive!!

54. smiler2729 says:

PK’s having the sophomore season jinx, I’m not really worried about him.

I am worried at all the crap he has to put with though, and you can bet it’s race related, Drew Doughty’s having a shite year too but nobody’s all over him.

The biggest worry is The Goat will deal him and once again, Habs fans will get to watch a player we had no patience for flourish somewhere else.

Unless we start realizing we can’t go 82-0-0 every season, we will continue to eat our young.

___________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam

• Dust says:

Doughty also plays on the wet coast which is known to be forgotten in an eastern media. Doughty has gotten his fair share of critisim. You just don’t hear about it on the east coast

• cupdelusions says:

Benching PK is wrong.Yes he should not have made that pass.But Gomez left the wing position.Hockey,as is most sports a game of mistakes.If you bench him you destroy more of his confidence.I think Randy Ladouceur should be benched.HE has done nothing with our Dfense.Campoli scored on his own goalie tonight.Bench him too.And no one covered Malkin on the shot -bench him too.But Gauthier should be permanently benched!!..Look at Dale Tallons work in a SHORT TIME as gm of both CHicago and Florida…Coincidence….???I think not!
      And Budaj is ranked 11th overall;Price 60th.Price has given up almost twice as many goals as Tim Thomas.Price is MARKETED as a great goalie..but fans are now seeing the truth.

PLEASE NO MORE PRICE!!! HAVE MERCY!!!

A canonnanding drive!!

• slychard says:

I doubt it’s a race thing. But I am beginning to believe the urban legend of the Bell being built on an ancient Indian burial ground. Like the big O.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Kiss my hAbSS!!!

55. habs001 says:

keep losing to teams that played the night before is bad enough but leading by 2 in the third and getting outshot no excuses at all..odds of us winning saturday trailing by 2 after 2 = none

56. stevieray says:

sellers ….any takers ..Camppoli,Gill,Gomez,Kaberle,PK,weber,

57. PureGuava says:

I don’t have a problem with Cunningham using Gomer in the shootout….but what an awful shot.

58. vander10 says:

I beleive the future is sound but get rid of the floaters leaders like Cole and George’s is the core. We all have to beleive the next moves will actually improve on these work horses and bring similar players like these two to Montreal. I want to see a deal for some more size and speed not just skill. Have some brains please more the dead weight move them now.

• aj says:

Speaking of leaders, I think is safe to say that for an “Interim” basis, Gosh Gorges should have the “C” place on his jersey. He deserves to be a Captain of the Canadiens. They did that with Kovalev in the Past when Koivu was out for a brief time. Maybe they could do that as well while Gio is out.

• Dust says:

First off. I am a huge Gorges fan and thought he should have been named captain in the first place. However I understand having Gio as a Captain. The guy consistantly scores 25 to 30 goals. Gives his all every shift. Overcomes beings “small” by NHL standards. He is an inspiration to other players. Unfortunately he got hurt twice this season. He is a great captain and player and I don’t understand the hate for him here. Same with Markov. HE is injured, but if healthy, one of the best dman in the league

59. Dust says:

So being in a hab fan living in the GTA. The only games i want to see the habs win are against the leafs. I want a top 5 draft pick and i want the leafs to not make the playoffs either. I think both are very likely scenarios right now

60. aj says:

The thing about Subban is that once his stick touches the puck, its either he does not know where he is passing the puck to or he always likes to steal the show by going through the middle zone with 2 forwards in front of him. He needs to learn more about team play and puck passing. Otherwise, he’s going to do the same routine night after night, game after game.

Other than what I just said, PK Subban is a good player. He’s young, fast, strong, and is a solid 2way. He just needs to mature.

61. Da Hema says:

How I wish Subban had a Robinson to help him (and to keep that ego — and mouth — in check).

62. DLHABSNUT65 says:

I figure it was Prices fault they lost…It usually is!!!

63. LA Loyalist says:

NHL 12 for XBox is bogus.

Gomez just scored a hat trick in my kid’s game (it’s only 9 pm here).

I told my kid to put it back in the box with tissue and ribbon, it’s going back to the store tomorrow.

:-)

64. mb says:

As much as I’m pissed with PK at times, and as much as he plays like he’s never played hockey before, I still think he will be an important part of this team in the future. Of course, he needs to mature, there is no doubt about it. But when he does, I think he’s gonna be a great player.

That being said, for now, he needs to watch and learn a little. This season is over anyway, so why not spend some time in developping a young player who sometimes would be better to learn to shut up and take it.

65. Rainrocket16 says:

All I am going to say is Sell BIG!!! But but keep this bunch….Cole, Max, DD, PK, Price, Eller, Russian bear, and hey why not Bourque, give him a chance, (we need the grit). Everyone else can go! Sorry, had enough mediocrity!

• Mike Boone says:

I like your list.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• HardHabits says:

I would also try to trade Gionta next season’s trade deadline, preferring DD, and bury Gomez this summer.

Habs look good on the wings. The weakness is up the middle. Habs need to add a #1 centre to this group and things could happen. When who knows. They’ve needed a #1 centre since before 2003 and still wont try and draft one.

MIKE BLUNDEN 6′ 4″ 218 25
      RENE BOURQUE 6′ 2″ 211 30
      ERIK COLE 6′ 2″ 205 33
      DAVID DESHARNAIS 5′ 7″ 177 25
      LARS ELLER 6′ 2″ 198 22
      ANDREI KOSTITSYN 6′ 0″ 214 26
      TRAVIS MOEN 6′ 2″ 215 29
      MAX PACIORETTY 6′ 2″ 196 23
      TOMAS PLEKANEC 5′ 11″ 198 29
      RYAN WHITE 6′ 0″ 193 23

It’s the defense where the team is weak at the moment

ALEXEI EMELIN 6′ 2″ 223 25
      JOSH GORGES 6′ 1″ 200 27
      P.K. SUBBAN 6′ 0″ 206 22

Markov is a question mark. Kaberle is meh. Weber and Diaz are not elite enough for their size.

Beaulieu and Tinordi are a good 1 year of AHL hockey away so don’t expect an impact from them soon.

I’d like to see the Habs stay away from expensive contracts for the time being. Concentrate on building and acquiring via the draft elite talent of the #1 line variety. Round out the roster with continued good drafting in late rounds as they have proven to do.

Rather than try and make a block buster trade for the play-offs this season, rather than make another stab into free agency over the summer to build a play-off team for next season, put together a solid team that plays and sticks up for each other, both on the scoreboard and in the trenches.

Nothing like seeing a player like Malkin grab a game by the short and curlies and deliver the goods. When has Montreal seen that?

The draft is the way to go. Patient building is more durable and enduring.

66. habitual says:

Boone, one of your better posts.

But let me ask you: what kind of a blunderbuss does one need to get through to Subban? I’m following your logic here. If you are right, and no less than Hal Gill can’t get through to Subban, then an Arabian that won’t take a bit and a saddle is an expensive mule.

• LA Loyalist says:

You can’t have a Clydesdale coach a race horse. No reflection on Clydesdales.

I’m sick of posting this, but read Robinson’s memoir “For the Defense” and Dryden’s book, to see how carefully Larry Robinson was nurtured as he grew into his body. See how Serge Savard re-invented himself after breaking his leg.

PK is alone out there, in an existential sense, he has outgrown Gill and Markov is out.

Maybe Rick Green wasn’t the right fit, but we need someone.

Otherwise it’s just a shame and you can hardly blame PK for it the load he is asked to carry on a nightly basis.

67. MacHabFan says:

PK needs to watch a few games and keep his mouth shut. You learn more by watching and listening.

He has a lot of potential – IF he listens.

p.s. Gomez on a shootout! I must be having a bad dream.

68. gumper says:

Thanks for the perspective, Mr. Boone. Can’t think of a worse time to trade PK, which is what makes me think it will happen. Please, please, please Mr. Molson, slap the cuffs on Mr. Gauthier. Even a few of my favourite Taliskers can’t take the edge of my paranoia. Things are bad. They’re gonna get worse.

69. HNS says:

Smarten up. RC knew Gomer wouldn’t score. Pissburgh tanked on purpose during the Cindy draft year. They pulled the same tactics the Habs are and will be pulling the rest off this season to weed out the weak. Get use to it. Picking Gomex for the shoot out is the start of the process.

• RGM says:

“Pissburgh tanked on purpose during the Cindy draft year.”

Hmmm, last season played before Sidney Crosby was drafted in 2005 was 2003-04. Unless the Pens ownership had advance knowledge that an entire campaign was going to be wiped out by the lockout, epic history fail.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Dust says:

uh the cindy draft year as you call it. came after the lockout. no team had the chance to tank

• Les Canayens says:

During the lottery draw Montreal almost had that draft. Crosby could’ve been under-developing and answering daily in French as a Hab.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁
        ☞ I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.☜

• Dust says:

i remember watching the lottery on tsn. I was jumping all over the living room thinking we had a chance. We were close.. how different things would have been

• Un Canadien errant says:

Pittsburgh was allotted the first pick through a lottery after the lockout.

———————————
      How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

Ever the optimist eh Boone. It’ll take a bit more than one summer to turn this ship around.

71. price365 says:

IMO PK is still our best D-man. at least he puts up points unlike Emelin and a few more D-men. JM screw him up and he may never be the same again.

72. Clay says:

Boone: I think you are contradicting yourself here. You state that “…teams can turn things around by making sound decisions”, but then go on to say that you are “…among those who think the next coach of the Canadiens should be blingual [sic]“.

Hiring a coach based on his ability to speak french is not a sound decision.

__________________________
    ☞ “Talent is a gift from God, but you only succeed with hard work. Yvan was proof of that.” – Jean Beliveau. ☜

• HardHabits says:

Live in Montreal and you would disagree. There are ample choices out there. The goal is to stick with a coach for at least 5 years. No Habs eat their coaches.

Vigneault and Julien are doing well enough.

First order of business is to shield the team and coaches from the press. Let them earn their stories. Either that or limit access. Therein lies the problem. The media circus around the Habs is HH on steroids.

• Clay says:

Yes, Vigneault and Julien are doing well enough. In fact, I would take either as the Habs’ coach right now, with no hesitation.

But that’s because they’re good coaches – not because they speak French. This language BS is costing the team. That is unacceptable to me.

__________________________

• mb says:

I was born and raised in french, and not getting the best coach available in unacceptable to me as well.

But it is how it is. There is nothing that’s going to change this aspect of the team.

I care about the culture and the background of Les Canadiens and I can understand people when they say they want a bilingual coach, because I have always lived here, in Montreal. But I also care about the team’s success, and unfortunately, this language dimension might limit the team in its possible succes.

All this to say that, even if people disagree, even if people rant about it, it is NOT going to change.

For better or for worse, who knows, it’s always been like this and it will always be this way.

• HardHabits says:

I felt the same way too but I have changed my mind based on discussions I have had in French with work colleagues and friends. Most of the English comments I have read in the press and in online comments sections have actually pushed me further into the French camp.

Don’t hold your breath. I also think the team needs to get back to it’s French roots and start getting more local boys on the club. Otherwise fold the team and start up a new franchise in Montreal. Call it the Montreal Mondiale or something. :-)

I am a Montrealer before I am Habs fan by a huge margin.

• mb says:

I agree about trying to get more local boys. Only thing is that the local boys don’t all want to play here, sadly.

And I can relate to your post. Reading comments, not especially on here but still, some actually believe we should stop speaking french and agree to speak english only so the problem would be solved.

There! No more language issue.
            Isn’t it easy?

That’s the sad part about this whole story, to me.

73. slychard says:

Keeping track of the score at work on my Iphone I knew the outcome once the score was 4-2. It’s more then frustrating it’s…depressing. ;-/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Kiss my hAbSS!!!

74. HabFab says:

A great voice!
    A terrible loss…again!
    This season and my sentiments!!

75. deuce6 says:

Give whatever you can to Carolina to bring Muller back, ASAP! A pick, money, whatever it takes..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• mb says:

‘Cause the Canes are just doing so well right now, aren’t they?

I love Muller too, but I don’t think he’s the solution. I really don’t feel like the best coach in the world could make this team raise very high.
      Put aside Gomez selection in the SO.

76. Un Canadien errant says:

Agree on all your point, including the fact that I like the guy too. I just don’t understand how he can screw up so much this season, with all the leadership we’re supposed to have in our ‘good room’. How are the veterans and coaches not getting through to him? Is it three times this season now, or even more, that he’s made that soft pass from behind the net that ends up in his net? Why doesn’t he learn from his mistakes?

———————————
    How about it NHL? No fighting, just hockey?

77. TomThompson says:

I wouldn’t mind him slew footing say….Chara and putting him out for a season. HA.