About last night …

So far, so good.

Like Red Fisher, I was – and remain – skeptical about the trade that sent Cristobal Huet to Washington.

Fisher and I  have as much playoff goaltending experience as Carey Price and Jaroslav Halak. The road to  the postseason includes 18 tough games, and down the stretch there will be enormous pressure on two young guys.

Price was very good last night. Not great, because Atlanta didn’t force him to be great, but Price was cool, steady, confident – all the attributes that will make him a star in this league.

The team played well in front of him. Atlanta was held to fewer than 30 shots. There weren’t many odd-man rushes, and the PK killed four of five penalties.

Canadiens played a dominant third period: four unanswered goals, a 15-6 advantage in shots.

The team wanted this one as an affirmation of their ability to win without a new "impact player". And they did it.

In his late afternoon press conference, a weary-looking Bob Gainey
said he was happy with his team, despite his inability to get help.

Canadiens played like they were happy the roster will remain intact.

• They ended the night pointless, but the Tomas Plekanec line had 12 shots on goal, six by Alex Kovalev. They buzzed around the Atlanta end on several shifts, and the crowd loved it.

• On an emotional day when a popular teammate gets traded, a captain is supposed to take charge and elevate his game. Saku Koivu was great last night. He’s been good-to-great for several games now, and the timing of the Captain’s revival couldn’t be better.

• Happy to remain a Hab, Christopher Higgins played his best game of the year. He’s got 21 goals, and if last night was a harbinger, Higgins has a shot at 30.

• The defence played big to protect Price. Mike Komisarek had seven hits. Ryan O’Byrne had four of the team’s 22 blocked shots. Josh Gorges continues to impress: he was plus-3 on the game.

• Maxim Lapierre had a goal and skated miles. He and Steve Bégin bring huge energy to the third line.

• Mikhail Grabovski played 12 exciting minutes. He was brutal on faceoffs (5-9), but Grabovski looked more at  ease than he did at the beginning of the season. His speed terrifies defencemen. Guy Carbonneau gave him a couple shifts with the Brothers K,; I tried to think of a cool name for the line, but nothing alliterates with "Belarussian".

So an emotional day ended on a very high note.

Had Price faltered and the team played poorly, the boo birds would have chirped all night. As it was, the early chants of "HU-ET! HU-ET!" turned to "CA-REY! CA-REY!" by game’s end.

Canadiens play five of their next six games on the road. It will give them a chance to get their After Huet act together away from the critical scrutiny of Montreal fans.

Pittsburgh may have become a stronger team yesterday, but no one else in the Eastern Conference made significant upgrades.

Ottawa continues to falter. Canadiens are in Buffalo to face the deCampbelled Sabres on Friday night and then back here for what should be a great game against New Jersey on Saturday.

Who would have predicted a March 1 matchup between Carey Price and Martin Brodeur?

1. thecapotc says:

I’m not so sure Gainey made a mistake saying he wanted to pick up an impact player. Who knows how hard he was actually going after Hossa? Gainey is smart enough to change tactics, and a good bluff that doesn’t cost you anything and hurts the guy next to you long term isn’t a mistake.

2. Will Longlade says:

Bob, focus on the upcoming draft and resigning your core players to long-term deals!

3. moser17 says:

What have you got against moose? :)

4. ebk says:

Don’t think I ever made the statement that you are implying that I made. It was made by another poster.

Kinda pointless discussion anyway. Huet’s trade seemed spur of the moment to me and you disagree. No big deal either way, Huet is gone and Price is the man of the moment

5. likehoy says:

lol…dolt i may be…but if jack nicholson can bring a big black dildo on set…then i feel quite alright with my mental stature.

6. J.T. says:

I disagree with that too…Bryzgalov is clearly the number one in Phoenix, a team in exactly the same position as Washington, and they’ve signed him to a deal to reflect that. As Biron is also the number one guy in Philly…a team that rebuilt from the ground up and chose Biron to be their man in net. The value they provide to their new teams in no way reflects the market value for which they were exchanged.

7. ebk says:

Washington is trying to make the playoffs and Huet will be their #1 goalie. I think that trumps the importance the other two represented to their new clubs.

8. mjames says:

I should probably ignore you juvenile comment but grow up – dolt.

mjames

9. Wencz says:

Biron and Bryz being #2 on their team does not necessarily translate into market value; I think it matters more how important they are to the team that they’re going to.

10. Gooner says:

I agree with you that he could have handled that situation a little better than he did but in his defence I imagine trying to explain the trade was not that easy a thing to do. It is never easy telling someone that they are no longer needed especiaally when you know they were giving it their all game in and game out and I am sure he knew that he was good in the room and the guys really liked him. We can only wish him luck with his new team. (Except when he plays us LOL)

11. HabsInBlood says:

Don’t forget as well that this is Pittsburgh. Can their revenue stream(s) even support a payroll at the cap limit?

12. ebk says:

Both Biron and Bryzgalov were clearly the #2 goalie on their teams. Hard to argue that about Huet. He has been the Habs #1 goalie for the last two years roughly and done a really good job. I agree that the decision was probably made on Monday, that to me seems like a last minute decision.

I have no problem with the trading of Huet. He had played really well in front of a team who is not the strongest of defensive teams but Price is the future and that was easy to see. Get some experience for the kids and a return for Huet.

13. HabsInBlood says:

Another note to HIO. I presume you are leasing your rack/server space, right? Can you arrange an agreement where additional horsepower will be available when needed?

14. Rugger says:

Server will crash long before July – like when we make it to the finals!

15. Dan23 says:

I think a lot of the shock surrounding the trade of Huet was due to the fact that most fans felt he was a nice guy and a good player. It was nice to see all of that acknowledged last year when he went to the All-Star game.

That said, I think most Habs fans should be ready to move on – we were going to have to face the traffic jam in net at some point, whether it was yesterday or at the end of the season. I really hope Halak gets some playing time at some point during the rest of the season and that we keep him in the organization. Surely dealing Huet is not just a vote of confidence in Price but also a message to Halak that the Habs want him to stay in Montreal.

Despite yesterday’s performance, I don’t think we can take for granted that this team will make the playoffs. They are still a few pieces away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender, but it is clear that the long-term future of the Canadiens is going to be a good one, and that is enough for me to get over the fact that we didn’t get Hossa yesterday.

And just a note to HI/O tech guys: you should probably be thinking now about getting a new server ready for Free Agent Day on July 1! :)

16. Bob Gainey says:

The Crushin’ Belorussians?
    The Belo Fellows?
    The Belarus Caboose?
    La trousse biélorusse?

17. Habhopeful says:

I really hope this whole deal Pittsburgh made comes back to bite them in the ass…Crosby with his salary, Malkin will have to get signed during the next offseason (08-09) and he will command big money, and now they have Marion Hossa, who by all acounts has a very tough negociating agent in Rich Winter will atleast be looking at 8 Million/year, And thats IF Hossa decides to sign an extension, and plus they have gonchar whos making 5.5 Million and will have to resign Fleury and/or Conklin to bigger extensions who are RFA and UFA respectively at the end of this year…this looks like Pittsburgh could become the New Tampa Bay Lightning with all there high priced players, And even if Hossa doesn’t sign an extension, they’ve lost 3 mediocre to good players and a 1st round draft pick, I certainly hope pittsburgh gets knocked out 1st round in the playoffs be it by anyone, as long as there out, I’m glad Bob didn’t give up that much for Hossa as much as i would have loved to have him…

“Like, you can’t get a girl pregnant when she’s on top man, I mean, its gravity…Just can’t happen.”

-Jason Segel

18. Bob Gainey says:

Trading Huet also takes the goalie situation out of Carbonneau’s hands. He has no choice but to play Price.

If we didn’t need some insurance in case of injuries, we would buy out Brisebois and Dandenault as well to force Carbonneau to give the kids a chance instead of flip-flopping all the time.

At the same time, has no one figured out the genius of signing Brisebois, yet? It takes all the attention away from the kids’ mistakes as they develop and makes the rest of the team look good in comparison.

19. Morenz7 says:

Spot on, J.T. It’s not Cris leaving that’s the problem; it’s that we should have gotten more for him. If Price cools, Halak looks good to sub in.

20. krob1000 says:

The statement about evaluating the goalies was the only thing that really left a sour taste in my mouth yesterday from Gainey. I know it was intended to motivate and support the youngsters but I found it a touch disrespectful to a classy goalie who gave his all for us. Huet far exceeded any expectations and seemed to be liked by all. I like to think Gainey would probably like to have that one back and rephrase it so it didn’t appear so harsh for Cristobal’s sake. I know they are grown men and blah, blah, blah but I jsut found it a little harsh especially given Huet’s obvious disappointment with leaving Montreal and his teammates(not to mention he now has to face Ovechkin one-timers every practice)

21. moser17 says:

The Belarus Moose?
    Belarus-on-the-Loose?
    The Belarus Abuse?

… The Chernobyl Fallout Boys?

22. J.T. says:

I disagree the Huet trade was a last-minute thing. I think Gainey had already decided to make the trade when Carbo announced Price would start against Atlanta, despite a poor outing against Columbus. I believe what Gainey said yesterday…that there had been an extensive review of the goaltenders and their performances, and Huet ranked third. I think that helped him decide not to re-sign Huet for next season, and therefore, to trade him for *something* before July.

That the return was so low I think wasn’t a matter of planning on Gainey’s part, but a reflection of the goalie market. Recall Buffalo got the same thing from Philly for Biron last year, and Bryzgalov went to Phoenix on waivers for lack of a decent trade.

23. nick says:

Nah i don’t think we’ll see much flip flopping between goalies as we’ve been seeing with Price and Huet. Price is our number one man. I only expect to see Halak if either Price gets pulled, injured, or we have a back to back and he needs a rest. Bob’s move basically said, we have our goalie. We’re moving forward.

24. von says:

So Halak plays against Buffalo, Price against Jersey?

25. ebk says:

Last night was actually a big game for the Habs for the reason Boone states at in his blog. If the Canadiens lost, Price played bad, the media sharks would smell blood in the water and be all over Gainey and the Habs. They won, the media will turn to other prey and the Habs get time to settle back into the chase for the #1 or #2 seed.

Very good first period, Lehtonen kept the Habs from opening up a big lead. Kovalev’s line was brilliant in the first despite not scoring. Madd Maxx continues to impress me, I think he’s going to be a very good 3rd line defensive forward/pest A-hole type.

A shoddy 2nd period could have let Atlanta take control of the game but they looked a little disinterested and then got overwhelmed by an outstanding Habs 3rd period. When this team gets its butt in gear, the Habs can blow a team out of the rink and that is what they did in the third.

I like Grabovski with Sergei Kostitsyn and Latendresse. That leaves Ryder with the Koivu line, which if it gets going will somewhat negate not getting Hossa. The makeup of the fourth line was excellent, I hope the turds in the pressbox stay there for awhile. None of them have done anything to distinguish themselves this year. Kostopoulos might be needed against some of the more physical teams but even that is debatable.

The decision to trade Huet and trust Price and Halak in the long-term was certainly a good move, short-term, it remains to be seen. What they got for Huet was not a king’s ransom and it seemed almost spur of the moment. Which may explain the lack of return they got.

It looks like the Habs have decided to embrace the youth movement full force, which I think is a great idea. The Kiddie Corps have played quality minutes and added needed depth that was lacking earlier in the season. I’d love to see Chipchura and Valentenko up ASAP and keep the butts in the pres s box firmly planted there.

The decision was made to trust the young goalies, despite Huet playing well this season. I worry that Carbo will not have the patience to allow the Kiddie Corps to learn from their mistakes. Other than Hamrlik, the FA crop Gainey signed was a bust but the Kiddie Corps has made that a moot point and propelled the Habs into a battle for the #1 seed. Turning back to the likes of Smolinski,Dandenault, Kostopoulos and Brisebois will hurt this team in the long-term, so I hope Carbo rides the Kiddie Corps and lets them gain valuable experience for the coming years.

19-6-4 without Brisebois and approx. 16 points out of a play-off spot.

26. MikeL says:

After a night to get over the initial shock of the Habs not landing Hossa, I have realized that Bob Gainey is an incredibly smart man. I agree with everything that he has done. The trade that sent Huet out of town was less about return value and more about a statement. He is telling the team that Carey Price is his goalie. I agree 100% with his decision. I have been saying for months that the Habs should trade Huet, I just didn’t think they would actually do it. You know why we never land the big name players?…because Gainey is too smart. There is always a less responsible GM out there that outbids him. I, personally, think Pittsburgh paid way too much for Hossa. I am happy with Gainey’s decisions and I can only hope he gets rewarded with such smart moves.

27. Bob Gainey says:

Keep in mind that it’s a 2009 pick.

Anaheim is sure to do well this year. But next year is still up in the air. If they fall in the standings next year, our pick rises. In fact, given all the Anaheim Cup predictions from this year and the current average guess of 55th pick, there’s nowhere to go but up for this pick.

28. gfunkdoc says:

Damn, I think I was writing my message (two above) while you were posting yours. Total agreement.

29. Xtrahabsfan says:

HUET WHO?

30. likehoy says:

we’ve got small tits and big tits…i wonder if grabs likes to play between tits.

Blitzen – I was only trying to find a player that would equate in terms of age, draft position etc. Personally,I think McDonagh could become our 4th defenseman once he leaves school. It won’t take him long to make the Habs. He’s a real blue chipper.

The Original 24 Cups

32. gfunkdoc says:

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I just wanted to point out that while Halak and Price have no playoff experience, neither does Huet, really. He’s played 6 NHL playoff games, 4 of which were losses. I’m not saying they’re better off without him, but it’s not like they were absolutely set with him in the playoffs. The trade definitely surprised me, though. Mainly because they only got a second-rounder in return. Has his play been that poor lately?

I’m not terrified about the prospect of having Halak and Price. Both very young, but both very talented. Remember the run Halak went on late last season? It’s not as if Price is being left alone.

At the start of the season when all the experts (?) predicted the Habs to finish 13th or 14th, we all knew that the outcome would depend largely on how the young guys played. That is even more true now. This very young group is going to get the chance to grow and play together. So far they’re doing alright.

33. teamplayer says:

thats incorrect, order does not flip, we would get the 55th pick
    but is anaheim gonna be that good next year? how good were they this year without selanee and niedermayer, they werent a playoff team

JB – They only did that in the lottery year (Crosby). It is always in reverse order. So if Anaheim picked 25th next year then our 2nd round pick would be 55th. Hate to say it, but not many 55th round picks make it to the NHL. But with Timmins you just never know. (Lapierre was 61st and O’Byrne was 79th)

The Original 24 Cups

35. lemess says:

The awkward teenage foreplay line?

(GRAB – TITS)

36. howtathor says:

Smoke does have a no trade clause. Funny eh?

37. HabsInBlood says:

“BANG!! BANG!! BANG!!”

That is the sound of the nail being hit on the head by the hammer.

38. J.T. says:

The Beleaguering Belarussians? Nah…too many syllables.

As for the goalies’ playoff experience or lack thereof…as others have pointed out, there’s not a lot of difference between Huet’s six games of career playoff experience and Halak and Price’s none. Also, Price *has* been through four gruelling rounds of pro-hockey playoffs and won. Sure, it wasn’t the NHL, but the Calder Cup was a learning experience too, as far as pressure-filled playoff hockey is concerned. And you can’t dismiss Halak’s performance in last season’s stretch-drive. He proved he can handle pressure when he stepped in and just about dragged a tanking team into the playoffs. All of that experience gives them an idea of what goaltending in intense games is all about.

And if we have to listen to the “they have no experience” complaint for the next four weeks, I think I’ll go crazy. We had to listen to that about Huet two years ago, and now, suddenly, his six games of experience are the cause of huge regrets and hand-wringing over the team’s playoff hopes. Ridiculous! I don’t have to go into the litany of rookie goalies who’ve performed brilliantly in the playoffs. I mean…for the love of God…until last season, Roberto Luongo had as much playoff experience as Price and Halak have now. Good goalies rise to the occasion, no matter what, and I believe the Habs have two good goalies.

I’ll miss Huet because he was a good player for our team, and he was a really nice guy. But we have to look forward now.

Blitzen – he has a NMC – I really don’t see us buying him out. I know you’re not keen on him but he is veteran insurance for the sretch run. Can play all three positions, has lots of experience, and is certainly well rested. I don’t think it’s a big deal right now.

Your point does lead to another question – Dandy, Begin, and Tom the Bomb are all signed for next year. It will be interesting to see if they all come back.

The Original 24 Cups

40. nightmare_49 says:

Very good post and Pittsburgh improved their team vastly but really took a real hit for the future and i’m not talking about Esposito who could be a wash. This season we’ll have to turn the page and continue to play the way we are capable and see how far we can go even with the obvious holes , it’s a nice team and the future seems bright and hope that managemrnt can have a good summer , surpris,surpris.

41. CanadienErrant says:

How about the KBG line? (K Brothers and Grabovski?) Kind of a strecth, KGB line would be better, but doesn’t work.

42. nick says:

Oh right… i don’t have to keep hitting refresh… trade deadline is over.
    Not quite sure what to do with myself now 😛

I thought they boys played great last night… Grabovski played pretty well, although i find he’s still looking for his ‘role’. One thing i enjoy was the fact that when someone bumped into him… he didn’t fall over… I’d love to see them keep him around for awhile, but with 4 vets sitting on the bench, i’m pretty realistic. How long do you figure they’ll keep him around?

Oh forgot — regarding the Penguins… well, they have Fleury whos just coming back, Crosby who’s just coming back and Hossa is just coming into the picture. They’ve also gotten rid of a couple key up and commers. They might have a ton of talent, getting it to mesh properly is a totally different story. I don’t see them being the power house people are now fearing.

43. JB says:

On TSN JF Jr took a shot at Gainey for his trade of Huet and his lack of moves – that’s why Gainey is a GM and Jr is sittin next to Mike Millbury

I really think we’re in good shape – we’ve improved on last yr. No one expected the Habs to be this good this yr. In reality, we’re still building for the future. We’ve got 20 yr old players in the line up for God’s sake. Let the team grow together.

As for this yr, the only team in the East with moves was Pitts. Bobby Mac points out the issues they have – they just gutted their team for a 3 month rental player in hopes they will win the cup this yr. I would add does anyone really think they’re going to win with Ty Conklin as their goalie? No matter what type of reg season he is having.

Finally as for Price being number 1. Ganiey has seen both Dryden and Roy. I think it’s clear he’s rolling the dice on that experience. Lets see where this goes.

Regardless, we’re improved yr over yr – and i think the goal at the start was to make the playoffs this yr. Lets lower our expectations a little and watch the team we have grow

44. Jonnyboy says:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the draft order flips. So a 2nd rounder from Anaheim, saying they get the 25pick overall that year, the second round would be 36?

45. Odie Cleghorn says:

At long last we finally have a core of young talented players at every psoition who actually want to play in Montreal. Yet the old guard media members, who long for the glory days, continue to create pressure on these players and I don’t understand it. Perhaps they’ve forgotten, or choose not to remember, that Jacques Plante, Rogatien Vachon, Ken Dryden, Patrick Roy, Doug Harvey, Larry Robinson, Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur, to name but a few, were all young once. And, like Price, Higgins, Komisarek, Plekanac, and yes, Ryder, they too “wanted to play for Montreal and in Montreal”. Why can’t we appreciate and acknowledge that wanting to play and for and win with Les Canadiens is the primary motivation and attitude that’s required to become a member of this team? The time for wooing and begging so-called “impact players” to come here is over. Well done Mr. Gainey, Mr. Timmins, and to all of the management and coaching staff – “to you from failing hands we throw the torch…”

46. The Big O says:

And Huet had 7 games and crumbled when it counted, so how much experience is 7 games worth? I think too much is made of experience at times, Huet was NOT a veteran, he only played 170 NHL games, so how much experience is that really? Two season’s worth, is how much! I think it was a good trade and I think Halak can do what Huet did, and I think the Canadiens Brass thought the same thing.

47. NLhabsfan says:

Gainey made two mistakes with the impending trade deadline. He announced he wanted an impact player to the world. He traded a good solid goaltender. GM’s are not his friend…. nor do any of them care for their competitor. I am certain another goaltender was involved but time ran out and he was left hanging…not that the price was too much. For now we was willing to offer up a few players. When was the last time Gainey announced what he was about to do. You don’t show your hand in a poker game and he did. I am sure Gainey will not make the same mistake twice. We will make the playoffs but it will be a bumpy ride. Luckily this is a young team that will learn from adversity in the coming weeks…. months. As far as Ryder being Carbo’s whipping boy as he has been…he is still here and Carbo has to give him a chance to play. You will not win many games with one line team.

48. Blitzen says:

Sorry but I doubt that Esposito ever becomes as important as McDonaugh.

Also Gainey can’t afford to wait until AKoz becomes a RFA to sign him long term. If he does, you know someone will put a contract on him and Gainey will either have to overpay for him (something everyone here agrees Gainey avoided doing yesterday) or lose him for a few picks. I would apply this to Gorges and O’Byrne too.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

49. Blitzen says:

To me the only situation left to resolve is how will the guys who often sit – as they should since the kids are doing great – will respond. Be philosophical about it or bitch about it and become a nuisance and a distraction. It’s clear that the leadership is slowly moving towards youth. Kovy and Koivu are still there but the kids are stepping up.

Does Smokes have a NTC or a NMC?
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

And so the trade deadline came and went – not with a bang but with a whimper. When it’s all said and done, it’s probably for the best.

Gainey basically repeated what he did last year at the trade deadline. He traded one impending UFA and kept another to help the team make the playoffs. Huet in essence is Rivet and Ryder is Souray. The only real downside is that we didn’t get as much for Huet as we did for Rivet. That’s probably a reflection of the goalie market more than Gainey’s trading skills. Another way to look at yesterday is that we did get Hossa, he just came in the form of Ryder. Ryder is certainly no Hossa talent wise but he is now a rental for Montreal for the rest of the year and the playoffs. The huge difference is that Ryder didn’t cost us anything – you only have to look at Pittsburgh to know what that would have been for the Habs.
    McDonagh = Esposito
    Ryder = Armstrong
    Grabovski = Christenson
    1st rounder = 1st rounder
    That’s a hell of a lot to pay for a guy who might only play here for three months – and in front of two rookie goaltenders. Ryder was a pretty good rental for us to pick up and he may be getting hot just when we need him the most. We also now get to watch what Hossa can do in terms of making an impact and being a star in the playoffs. It will give us a great insight into whether or not we should sign him as an UFA this summer. And it cost us absolutely nothing to do so. The second rounder for Huet isn’t until 2009 and will be a low pick seeing that it came from Anaheim. Even if the player turns out to be an NHLer he won’t be hitting Montreal until 2012. That’s OK, we need to spread our assets out as much as we can. This is all about the long haul.

Thr prime directive is still to make the playoffs and then go from there. 6th place would be prefect but after that it’s basically anybody except New Jersey. Once the summer arrives, the Habs can then deal from strength in a much calmer environment. Gainey will then be able to make his moves concerning re-signings, possible trades, promotions, or buyouts. All in all, I think yesterday went down the way it should. The Habs are still in great shape for the future.

The Original 24 Cups

51. Wencz says:

Very sad to see Huet go, he was class all the way. However, I agree with most of the posts here, he probably wasn’t the guy to take us down the stretch and I think giving the lead to Price will enstill confidence and responsibility in him. The ‘win and your in’ thing wasn’t working for either of them. Price has shown he can win on the big stage, let’s hope the trend continues.

I wasn’t too happy with the way the team played last night, except of course for the 3rd period. I felt like Atlanta was taking it to us on a night we needed to send a message (I guess we eventually did). I felt we didn’t bang enough in the offensive end, are passes were often sloppy (albeit the puck didn’t want to settle down for us), we weren’t strong on the puck and at times our defense was lost (Markov looks so nonchalant at times). Our PP is also worrying me, looks like the Pittsburgh tape is circulating (pressure them!). Lastly, O’Byrne looks like a fish out of water. I like his size and physicality but he seems to lack confidence.

Glad to see the team in tact.

52. cunningdave says:

Huet is a great guy and a fantastic teammate, but experience is not a factor – he has played 6 NHL playoff games and lost a single series. His career playoff experience in other leagues isn’t that impresssive, either. Price, on the other hand, has won a World Junior and Caulder Cup, and was MVP of both teams. He actually has more tangible experience than Huet does, if you’re simply counting pressure situations that have been dealt with. And since Price is beyond his years in terms of poise, I think that we’re simply confusing age with experience.

I’m not happy with the returns, but that obviously must have been the market for Huet. It’s not like Bob took the first offer he was given. I also think he must have firmly believed that having two ‘A’ goalies was not helping the team – that both goalies were off their rhythm. If Price is the future, then there’s no sense in coddling him anymore – as he plays more, he will only get better, and that’s a bit of a scary thought.

53. usversusthem says:

For once we got zero scoring out of our #1 line and still managed to blow them out of the water. They’re not exactly one of the best teams in the East but our ability to get scoring from the second, third and fourth lines was really heartening last night. The Sergei K goal was one of the nicest I’ve seen in a while in terms of a Habs player just letting a shot rip without any passing involved.

54. Rugger says:

Great to be able to comment again – I was lost yesterday. Anyway, I think play-off exp. is way overblown. The Habs past is littered with rookies who dominated in play-off runs; Dryden, Roy, Claude Lemeaux … Give our guys a chance and they will step up this year and go deep.

55. fun police says:

one of the things that i liked about last night was the fact that we actually had a third line. i’d prefer grabs out there any day over dandy or smo. that third line will give many teams fits . also, we actually had only one fourth line for the first time in a while. last night, was probably our best lineup.