About last night …

So much to celebrate.

How long has it been since the Canadiens decisively pounded the snot of an opponent?

Granted, it was the Senators – playing their second game in as many nights, in front of a crowd of 10,000 screaming Canadiens fans and 10,000 typically dead-ass Ottawans.

But still …

Before we get to the long list of laurels, consider the sequence that I thought was one of the most impressive in the game:

About midway through the third period, Canadiens were up 3-0 and it was effectively over. For the first time in the game, however, Ottawa managed to get their forecheck going and bottle the Canadiens up.

It lasted through a line change – a good 90 seconds, two minutes.

But here’s what I liked:

No panic among Canadiens defenders. Ottawa had the puck, but they were kept to the outside and the slot was protected.

Most significantly: All through those long seconds of chasing the puck, the Canadiens took no penalties.

It’s all about discipline and teamwork and trusting the guy next to you to make the right play.

I just know Jacques Martin loved it.

The coach had a lot to love.

His team played a textbook road game. The Canadiens held Ottawa without a SoG for the first 13 minutes of the game. The Senators were shotless for eight minutes in the second period, when it was still 1-0 and they had a chance to get back into the game.

Playing in their own building, the Senators had four shots in the first period, three in the third.

The home team got spanked.

We know how that feels, because New Jersey did it to the Canadiens at the Bell Centre Thursday night.

I would suggest, however, that this was a much more dominant 3-0 win.

Shall we roll through the honours list?

• Carey Price had an easy night, right? Wrong. Price made some big stops when the lead was 1-0, and the kid was full value for his first shutout in almost two years. Price has played every game this season, and he’s yet to play a bad one. He’s cool, he’s calm, he’s seeing the puck well and his lateral movement is flawless.

No one in the NHL began the season under more pressure than Carey Price. So far, so good … with gusts to great.

• We knew AK46 could score. But he’s playing total hockey; skating, hitting, conscientious on D. Total involvement, in all three zones. Yes, it’s a contract year. But AK46 is playing like a Belarusian who has a firm grasp of the basic principles of capitalism. And credit Danno with the line of the night: “Brother Andrei’s goals were beatifical”.

• We still aren’t sure Benoit Pouliot can score. On RDS, Mario Tremblay and Joël Bouchard expressed their doubts. But Benny popped one for the first time since last March 25. And has been the case on many nights this season, he worked hard and refused to let the slump get him down. Will he be as good a scorer as Gui!? The jury is out. But Benny is the more complete player.

• P.K. Subban played his best game as a Canadien. The Senators hammered him at every opportunity. Late in the game, Nick Foligno jumped him. P.K. took it all, dished it out and had four shots to go with his four hits and two blocked shots. Barring injury, this is a star in the making.

• Tomas Plekanec and Mike Cammalleri played superbly in support of their high-flying linemate.

• Lars Eller played eight quality minutes and looked comfortable at centre. He also flattened fellow Dane Peter Regin.No disrespect to Travis Moen and Mathieu Darche, but Eller needs linemates who can score.

• The PP took another 0-or, but using Roman Hamrlik on the first wave generated better pressure from the blueline. The Canadiens are 4-2-1 with a power play that’s been blanked in six of seven games. Once the PP gets rolling …

• The Senators had a 25-18 hit advantage, and I think 23 of the checks were on Josh Gorges. My man played 23:14. Gorges is the heart and soul of the Canadiens D.

• Alexandre Picard was run consistently by his former teammates but took it all and played 17 solid minutes. Unless his game suddenly heads south, Ryan O’Byrne is the team’s eighth Dman.

• Jeff Halpern played like the smart veteran he is, went 8-4 on faceoffs and was part of a PK that was perfect again.

Martin called it the most complete effort of the young season.

Subban lauded simple plays and “dirty goals” while also praising forwards who are getting back to help the D clear the zone.

Canadiens are scheduled to have a rare Sunday practice, but maybe Martin will reward the boys with a day off.

Phoenix on Monday at the Bell Centre.

The Coyotes are better than Ottawa.

•  •  •

With the exceptions of Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay, no opponent has more than 25 shots against the Canadiens.

Ottawa has 19 in each of two games.

•  •  •

Kovy: ZERO SoG … but I loved his shots at Chris Neil during the Antichambre interview.

And Kovy II was a $10 million healthy scratch in New Jersey.

Devils coach John MacLean: “It was a coach’s decision. Coach’s scratch. Whatever you want to call it … I’m not discussing it. It was my decision. I made it. He (Kovalchuk) knows. I spoke to him and that’s where it’s going to stay.”

For now.

•  •  •

Jaro shut out the Penguins.

31 saves.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Roy

2. Chelios

3. That one goes to Desjardins + Leclair to PHI, gave them an ace blueliner and the final piece of the Legion of Doom both in their absolute prime years. Respect to the Recchin’ Ball of course but 2-for-1 is not sound business especially considering the Habs solid history of victory with a great blue line.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. larisalapointe says:

Again, if you are going to say something, at least get the facts straight.
    Last night Crosby hit the crossbar. But no big deal, any goalie welcomes help from the Hockey Gods.

3. Shiloh says:

My cousins out West are Habs fans and they absolutely loved Wickenheiser – saw him play a lot and said if we didn’t take him we were crazy. The worst was the post-script to that pick – years later we sent Chelios to Chicago for Savard – an insane trade. Denis Savard wasn’t even playing well enough to dress when we won the Cup in ’93.

Worst three trades in Habs History:

1. Patrick Roy to Colorado

2. Chelios to Chicago

3. Gomez to Montreal – for cap reasons

Anybody else have a different three?

4. WestHab says:

Still pissed over Wicker over Savard? You could be older than I.

5. WestHab says:

It took me 10 minutes into the game to realize it was in Ottawa. The Sens have to be so embarrassed by such a Habs fan presence. Maybe the booing of Kovey though, was done by fans of both teams.

6. Shiloh says:

I preferred Halak as well – he played super for us the past two years while Price struggled. Price has been fine so far this year – and very good in most, if not all, games. Nothing we can do now. I liked Moore a lot as well – a real plus for any team he’s been on. But we have a bunch of centres.

Strangely, we may have a surplus of defensemen once Markov gets back. Picard has been solid. We probably wouldn’t get much for O’Byrne – and maybe we need to keep the extra defense in case of injury.

Lastly – Auld has got to get some game time. Does he start this week? Which game – Friday?

7. nova scotia vees says:

Hey…I am very keen to be proven wrong.  Afterall I have been a Habs fan since the days of Belliveau.  However, don’t compare the value of Halak when he was an AHLer to his value today.  What is that about.  Weird logic there.

As for Price.  We want him to do well so badly that every save is glorified.  Did anyone notice the friendly goal posts and cross-bars…both last night and against the Pens.  He does look sharper and I hope for the sake of my beloved Habs that he lives up to his potential.  And the same for Eller.  By the way, where is Enquist?  Hamilton I presume.

You know G.M.’s can make mistakes.  I still haven’t gotten over Wickenheiser instead of Denis Savard.

8. WestHab says:

There is no doubt that the blues did well with the trade.  Having said that Price is doing just fine and Eller is finding his place just fine. The goals and points will come. I’m not going crazy cause Halak is playing well, I knew he would. It just so happens we had 2 great goalies and couldn’t keep both.

9. ZepFan2 says:

No, the shot he rang of the post does NOT count as a shot.

As for your tangent about Price being lucky because of posts being hit, blah, blah, blah.

Even Roy acknowledged why he had so many shots hit the posts…”Hey, they’re my friends.”.

————————————————————————

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

10. Captain aHab says:

Let it go…Halak is gone and Price is playing well.

11. Exit716 says:

Halak won 9 games in a tournament where 16 are required.

If Montreal kept Halak, who would be centring Kostitsyn and Cammalleri?

Oh, I get it, Dominic Moore.

12. larisalapointe says:

Did you watch the game Habs vs. Penguins a couple weeks ago? Price not only stoned Crosby/Malkin but stole sure goals. Crosby even had his arms in the air celebrating but no goal. Just sayin’.

13. Danno says:

Nashville vs Tampa Bay on TV — NHL free preview still on…

Bergenheim scores a beauty. 1-0 Tampa Bay

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

14. saskhabfan says:

The only goalie in this league who you might get a star player for straight up in a trade is ryan miller. Eller is 21,where was halak at 21? Spending most of his time in the ahl. If halak had sooooo much value then why didn’t more then 4 teams line up for his services? I like moore as well but when he was maxpac’s/ellers age he was playing for the hartford wolfpack. You can’t compare guys careers when there is such a differance in age and experience. I’m sure gauthier got the best he could with what the few interested teams were willing to offer him.

15. Shiloh says:

Kovalev: Boone trumpets his zero shots on goal, but the shot he rang off the high post doesn’t count as a shot on goal. He was used sparingly and didn’t look great – but neither did most of the Senator forwards. Kovalev came as close as any Senator to scoring, but why let evidence get in the way of a good carve, right Boone?

16. saskhabfan says:

Gotta give credit where its due,or so they say. The math is pretty easy. Goals + defensive support = win. Another great morning on HIO celebrating a great team victory and not have the listen to the whiners who only show up after a loss

17. Mike Boone says:

Nothing gets to me. It’s part of the job.

18. Richrebellion says:

The trade has more like Eller, Schultz and Pleks for Halak. We would have lost pleks if we kept Halak. As for the AHLer I strongly disagree, Eller is learning both sides of the game right now and will be a solid two way centre in the nhl for year to come. Kind of like Pleks is now, they brought him in the same way and look how he turned out. Schultz is a big boy who isnt afraid to use his body and has a scoring touch. He will be huge for us in the future.

To compare eller and Moore is ridiculous, they are completely different players. Moore has hit his peak and it says alot that he has been passed around the NHL. If he was soo good don’t you think someone would have kept him? The fact that your asking if either Max or Eller can score clearly you don’t know anything about development, 1% of nhlers walk into the nhl and score  on a consistent basis, the others go through struggles and eventually become big nhl scorers.

19. habaddict_andy says:

Halak was great in playoffs and he let us to conference final.  Now he’s gone to another team and he is our enemy just like any other teams.  I have moved on and I’m enjoying my team and I can’t believe we are still talking about this.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

20. nova scotia vees says:

Good day all!  Nice to see all the replies to my comment regarding getting more for Halak.  As for Price…well, I see improvement, but the jury is still out.  He hasn’t stoned Malkin, Ovechkin and Crosby…yet.

And say what you will, but getting an AHLer for Halak, doesn’t look like much.  And what makes you all think he had no market value?  24 years old and a history of saving the Habs in BOTH  of the last 2 seasons, NOT TO MENTION THE PLAYOFFS.  Those weren’t the Leafs he stoned.

You telling me that there wasn’t even 1 NHLer they could have gotten.  I like Dominic Moore better than Eller (so far).  For that matter Max Pacioretty skates as fast.. The question is…can either Eller or Max Pac score?

21. The M says:

Ribeiro was an embarrassment.  Flopping around on the ice in the final minute against the Bruins to get a whistle? One of the most embarrassing moments for me to be a Canadiens fan

22. The M says:

with the cap space New York signed Marian Gaborik, who scored more goals last year than Gomez will over the full length of his contract.

The Scott Gomez contract is one of the worst in hockey and will continue to handcuff the Canadiens for the next four years.  I’d agree we’d win the trade but Gomez is an average second line centre in the NHL getting paid like a superstar.  It’s amazing that the Rangers got anything in return really…

23. mbplekfan says:

What do we have on the farm that can replace a seasoned veteran like Hammer? Dont sell the guy short. Without him we’d be in rough shape while Markov is out.

24. Richrebellion says:

The gomez deal was solid, ok were paying him alot but so far it hasnt done any harm to our team. Gomez also attracted the likes of Cammi and Gionta and if im not mistaken Gomez also lead us to our first Eastern Conference final since 1993… To say it was one of the worst trades in habs history is ridiculous. Plus none of the guys we sent away have made any impact in NY. Don’t forget the leadership that he brought that is the reason our team is currently 4-2-1 and off to a pretty nice start.

25. mcmikel says:

Let’s move the Senators to Quebec City and rid the league of Ottawa…

26. ClaytonM says:

You think we need a free agent to replace Hamrlik with what we have in Hamilton or with Picard or O’Byrne sitting when Markov comes back?  I’d rather have his replacement come from within the organization.

27. twocents says:

You’re reading my mail, Greg!

28. Xtrahabsfan says:

LOL, I used to like Nova Scotia  but now I love’s Nova Scotia……

29. Shiloh says:

Forgive you for what – being unable to discern what you read? You need far more than forgiveness.

30. CatznDogz says:

I love the fact that Price and Halak each had a shutout on the same night, but I really love that we kept Price. He’s been solid all season and thriving on the heavy workload.

31. Shiloh says:

Excuse me? Boone’s non-stop trashing of his colleagues is incredibly ignorant. He followed it up with a carve-job on Kovalev in which he failed to mention that Kovalev came the closest of any Ottawa player to score. Plus, he has been going out of his way to be nasty to me. Listen, if he’d stop whining about better writers and try to become a more professional site-manager then I won’t be so quick to point out his silliness.

32. habs-hampton says:

The Kovalchuk fiasco in NJ makes the Gomez trade look like a piece of genius!

33. habs-hampton says:

A goalpost or cross bar is the same as a shot that’s high or wide. If it doesn’t hit the twine, then its not a problem. It doen’t mean your just lucky.  All good goalies have the posts as their buddies.

34. Danno says:

This place is like an Italian dinner. You don’t have to go far to find the whine.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

35. Shiloh says:

Good points. The length of Gomer’s contract is a downer, though – big hit for a long time.

36. Shiloh says:

Better list than mine – agree with your #3.

37. The_Salted_One says:

A very good point, but unfortunately, i fear it fell on deaf ears… or blind eyes (which may explain why he didnt seem to remember that habs-pens game)

your friendly neighborhood Salted One

38. Shiloh says:

He was behind the bench as sort of an assistant coach by the time the playoffs were over. He was used sparingly toward the end of 1993 – a healthy scratch more than once. Fifteen years later Chelios was still playing in the NHL.

39. Shiloh says:

Last year we had one great goalie – Halak. I’m enjoying Price’s play this year – he’s much better – but that shouldn’t mean we have to rewrite history.

40. Captain aHab says:

If we can’t find a winger for Gomez and Gio, how about moving Gomez to the Wing and trying Eller at C with them?

41. Captain aHab says:

Why do we keep saying “this was a great road game”? This was a great game period. I’d love for them to play that way at the Bell too.

42. JF says:

A really solid road game and a joy to watch after Thursday’s dismal spectacle.  The Habs dominated in every aspect except hits, and I loved watching the team for once win by more than a goal.  For the first time this season I didn’t spend most of the third period sitting tensely on the edge of my chair and chewing my nails.

Congratulations to Carey Price on the shutout.  Only 19 saves, but a couple of them in the second period and the one on Gonchar in the third were difficult, and he kept his focus through long minutes when he barely saw the puck.  I don’t know how many times in ther past couple of years I’ve seen him hang onto a shutout until late in the game, only to lose his concentration for an instant and give up a soft goal or see the puck go in off a teammate’s skate.

Except for the sequence in the third period, we did not spend a long time in our zone and none of it running around haplessly getting out of position and chasing the puck.  The players seem to handle their defensive assignments much better than last year, winning many more battles along the boards and clearing the zone more efficiently.

The highlight of the night for me was Andrei Kostitsyn’s two goals, especially the first.  A perfect pass from Plekanec and an absolute beauty of a shot.  The second was the result of some hard work by Cammalleri and of Andfrei driving to the net as he has been doing all season.  He is a completely different player from last year.  No more floating around on the outside and turning the puck over; he’s faster, stronger, much more involved, finishes his checks, and delivers punishing hits.  He even looks different; gone is the heavy, sullen expression he wore most of the time last season.

I hope people will stop criticizing Pouliot, who has been working hard and checking well in every game.  It was good to see him finally rewarded with a goal, hopefully the first of many.

43. RJB says:

You have Jack Todd listed as your current favourite player, forgive me if I don’t take what you have to say seriously.

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
    - Bilbo Baggins

44. Rusty says:

J. Martin made some bad mistakes vs. OTT. It’s not often you have two powerplays in the 3rd when the game is basically over. Instead of playing the usual supects, he should have let Eller lead the PP with players who can receive and make a pass. This was simply bad management by Martin. It was enough that a gifted player had to suffer through an entire game with two natural fourth-liners = stiffs.

45. nightmare_49 says:

from gallagher on St’Louis Game Time:

46. I love Jaroslav Halak. This is the goalie we have needed for, well, ever. I know that each contest that he goes out and plays like this makes the Montreal Canadiens fans just a little bit crazier, and I think I love that too. What’s a Lars Eller anyway? Halak’s confident play is winning games and it is leaking into the collective conscious of the skaters. They can be more confident and can take more chances because they know any little mistake isn’t going to end up in the back of the net.
  47.

• PureGuava says:

Now Dallas wants him out of town too! – he’s an ass.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

• nightmare_49 says:

From Bucky Gleason’s article:

Around the boards

- Veteran defenseman Sheldon Souray, exiled by the Oilers in a dispute with management, has been loaned to the Capitals’ AHL farm club in Hershey. The Bears agreed to fork over $100,000 for the hard-shooting Souray with the Oilers paying the remaining $4.4 million on his contract for this season.

- Brendan Morrison is giving the Flames an early return on their investment. The 35-year-old forward, who took a 50 percent pay cut and is making $750,000 this season, led his team with three goals and three assists in his first six games. “I never doubted,” he said. “I figured I could still play.”

- The Kings’ power play had been outscored, 2-1, on 22 opportunities going into the weekend after allowing shorties to Phoenix and Calgary. Anze Kopitar, who had a team-high 34 tallies last season, scored once in his first six games.

- Oilers rookie Taylor Hall fired 11 shots — two on net, three that were blocked and six that were wide — after being moved to the third line. He played more than 20 minutes and was their best player against Minnesota. “At the time,” he said, “I’ve got only one point in five games and I’m minus-2.”

- The Bolts are giving out a DNA award, given to the player who best embodies their makeup, after victories in an effort to bring them closer together. Winners keep a cape decorated with the D-N-A until Tampa Bay’s next win. Said center Nate Thompson, when asked what the DNA award stood for: “Molecules or something.”

Read more:   http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/bucky-gleason/article229280.ece

• PureGuava says:

I don’t think anyone has issue with Gomez….it’s that cap hit that’s killer. He’s a good player, and seems like a great guy to have in the room – but he’s making enough money to pay for two more of him.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

• cautiousoptimist says:

That Gomez trade really wasn’t so bad, even for cap reasons…  It was Higgins/McDonagh/Janik/Valentenko for Gomez/Tom Pyatt/Busto.  Higgins was a bust and still is, McDonagh was fast becoming a disappointment and still is one, Janik is a valiant but dime-a-dozen 7th or 8th D, and Valentenko is so-so and anyway still hasn’t been enticed from Russia. Basically, we gave up nothing.

What we got was a really good (albeit overpriced) 2nd-line centre, a good young speedy underpriced defensive forward and penalty killer with potential in Pyatt, and a minor-league throw-in that doesn’t make us any better or worse.  In sum, I’d say we won the trade cleanly — NYR got some cap space, but we had cap space to spare (and will again with Hamrlik gone next year and a solid $3M free agent filling his shoes), and I’d rather have Gomez or Pyatt than any of the players who went the other way in the deal.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  • PureGuava says:

We don’t all appreciate Boone…

Kovalev has done a hell of a lot more for The Habs than Boone has in the last five years.

• Da Hema says:

Recchi was a fine player, but losing LeClair and Desjardins took away two key cogs for the Habs’ future at that time. It was a very poor trade for the Canadiens.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

• RJB says:

Your personal hate for Boone is incredibly odd. Did you both interview for the same job and he beat you out? I mean come on, Kovalev sucked and Boone pointed it out.

We all appreciate you Boone, don’t let the sore-sports get to ya!

- Bilbo Baggins

• Greg says:

Hope Markov comes back next week! Like Boone said, imagine when the PP finally gets going!  I believe there were 3 questions heading into this season:

1) Carey Price

2) Andrei Kostitsyn

3) Benoit Pouliot

I think we have early answers for all three, and they’re all looking up!! Hope they can keep the ball rolling and minimize the types of games they had against the Devils. Love the push-back though. This is a lovable team.

“I lined up next to him at a faceoff, looked over and said “Hi Rocket”. All he did was growl.”

-Gordie Howe

• Da Hema says:

It is amazing how easy it must be to get Senators game tickets. The way that organisation is going now, the Senators may soon be giving them away.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

• Exit716 says:

I just checked out Senators Extra at the Ottawa Citizen website. Wow. What a crappy site. I hope that survey that was posted here isn’t just a ruse to give the suits at head office an excuse to gut this site into something totally generic and irrelevant.

• christophurrr says:

Goal posts are often the friendliest when the goalie is in position and the shooter has nothing else to hit.

Obviously there is some luck involved in some cases, like on cross-crease one-timer or whatever, but that’s not the goalie’s fault anyways.

Downplaying someone’s good game by saying the posts were on their game is dumb. “oh it beat him, but not the posts”. same thing as “oh, the shot beat him, but it went wide anyways”

• christophurrr says:

i’m willing to bet that most of the screaming habs fans were actually “dead ass ottawans”

• christophurrr says:

• TommyB says:

If you take a look at Bowman’s career as a GM in Buffalo, you’d know why Pollock blocked Bowman as his successor.  And you would know that he (Pollock) was right.  It’s fine to glorify Bowman the coach.  Bowman the coach did pretty good, but go back to your reasoning on who made Dryden’s career, and apply that to Bowman as well.  Bowman the GM was brutal.

• Timo says:

Is it like one of those questions like “what did chicken say before it crossed the road?”

• MikeMcLaren says:

Savard was injured in 1993, not a healthy scratch.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

• habber86 says:

yeah, but looking at the calibre of players involved in that trade it’s absurd. Niinimaa was the worst defenseman I’d seen on the Habs since the days of Patrick Traverse. Played 41 games, got 3 assists, was -13 and then left the NHL after the season…

On the other hand, Ribeiro is a 70-85 point offensive threat. Diving embarrassment or not, that has got to be by far and away the most lopsided trade in recent history.

• ooder says:

ok btw… watch the replay on NHL for kostitsyn’s first goal..

the pass by Plekanec was absolutely unbelievable!

——————

88 is the new 23

• HardHabits says:

Sat, 20 Nov 2010. Mark your calendar!!!

• habs youngtimer says:

wonder how the habs will do against a good team.

• larisalapointe says:

haha sorry you got the impression I was being defensive. No need to defend Price, he is doing great all on his own with his performance on the ice.
    Last year we had two great goalies. Neither wanted to share the net. So one of them had to go. I, for one, never thought Halak wouldn’t win games or do well. I don’t feel the need to bash him to make a point about Price.

What you say about Price goes double for Halak and any goalie in the league. They’ll have the good, the bad and the ugly on any given night.

If you’re going to go after Price, at least be fair. Goal posts, crossbars, far posts, etc. are all part of the game.

• nova scotia vees says:

Not a bad idea!

• nova scotia vees says:

Old as dirt!  In fact, I hated that we traded Doug Harvey (ha).  Of course, I was a mere child then, but still a Habs fan.  By the way, I also believe that Bunny LaRocque was a better goalie than Dryden!  Saw him many games with the Nova Scotia Vees.  Dryden’s career was made by Serge, Larry, Guy Lapointe, Butch Bouchard, Bill Nyrop, Rod Langway, Chris Chelios….etc.,etc.

Bad trades folks!  Where do we begin?  How about Langway?

Sam Pollock was a genius..those who have followed, for the most part have been a collection of fools.  Why did Pollock block the appointment of Scotty Bowman as his successor?  That was our greatest mistake.

• 25 cups says:

What did Kovy say about Neil?

• HardHabits says:

Correction:

Submitted by Danno on Sat, 10/23/2010 – 20:48.

Those goals by Brother Andrei were beatifical.

• nova scotia vees says:

Correction….I watched that game as well (taped it).  Crosby hit the far post.  Picky, picky.  Price fanboys are SOOO DEFENSIVE.

• habber86 says:

Ribeiro for Niinimaa….

• Castor says:

You know what though? Only the PKC line is scoring with the occasional third or fourth line grinder goal. All 5 on 5.

Can you imagine how the team will improve when the GG line and the PP (markov!) get going?

• Harani says:

When asked last week what the secret was to keeping Kostitsyn rolling at this pace all season-long, Plekanec suggested the key is making sure he and Cammy keep the speedy winger happy. Judging by Saturday’s results, Kostitsyn’s linemates have been doing exactly that.

“I’m not going to tell you the secrets to how we keep him happy,” joked Cammalleri. “But it’s great to see that big Belarusian smile on his face.”

LOL!

• Wayne says:

I hear what you’re saying but I think the paint is still wet on that one. I know I’ve had my doubts and digs on Pou. I live close to his home turf and would like to see him really break out but I think he needs more time on the 3rd and 4th line to complete his game and if he pots a couple (or more), great. I see him back on the 2nd line eventually. Besides, he had ample opportunity last year to play up the ladder and he struggled. Same thing is happening now.

• K-hab25 says:

I think it’s time for Benny to go back with G & G. He definitely has the offensive ability needed for a top 6 winger. I say put him there on Monday and leave him there, for atleast 10 games, not a period or 2.

• HardHabits says:

I agree on the Cherry rant.

Totally disagree on the Halak one.

The Habs did get a star in return. Carey Price.

But seriously. Halak was an arbitration eligible RFA and a goaltender in a glut of goaltenders heading to market at the time. The Habs made a great trade. What “star” do you have in mind? C’mon! Who? Crosby? Ovechkin? Huet got the Habs a 2nd round draft pick. Good for Halak though. I always liked him while he was in the Habs organization and that goes back to his being a Bulldog, I was shocked when he got traded but both teams did well in the trade. The Blues gave up a lot and had to sign Halak for 4 years whereas the Habs have Price for two years for less and he’s still an RFA in 2 years, albeit arbitration eligible. A star. Good one.

• RS says:

This franchise traded Patrick Roy and didn’t get a star in return! You want something to complain about, complain about that one.

The Halak trade was a gamble. Much of the risk hinged on Price. So far so good. I’m liking Plek with his new contract. Eller may or may not turn out to be a top 6 forward, but right now he is our best prospect at forward. Schultz is a potential 4th liner. The Habs weren’t going to get a star for Halak and they did okay with that trade.

• Bouleau noir says:

You are out of touch with reality…… Halak’s worth on the market was small since he had no track record to speak of…… even well established star netminder like Luongo brought nothing but shit as return from their trade……. amazing what we got for Halak….. Eller has allready nice size and nice skating habilities…. his talents are obvious and he is a serious kid just like Plek was… and just like him he’ll keep improving as a player year after year with the Canadiens for many many years…… a great catch by Gauthier.

• mfDx says:

Don Cherry will keep “predicting” that P.K. will felled by a cheap shot until Tie Domi rises from the dead and  crawls through the vents at the Bell Center. At least with Crosby he suggested the kid would have to drop his gloves and fight… With Subban, Don Cherry is replaying/promoting various ways to “accidentally” injure your opponent.  -

-the “inadvertant” stick to the eye.

-the low, hard, ankle breaking dump in.

Some of you might remember a coach’s corner from last february, Black History Month ..  after HNIC showed a pregame feature on Wilie O’Ree. Don Cherry proudly showed a news article with a photo of himself welcoming Willie O’Ree to the NHL… with some stick work that left the negro bleeding from his face.

My tax dollars pay for that man’s suits.

• Malreg says:

When was the last time a goalie was traded for a “star”? Or for anything of great value?

• nova scotia vees says:

Enjoyed this win.  But, why does Don Cherry still have a job?  Tonight he set a new record for using the word “I”…It’s all about him, and of course the Leafs.  And he is now doing to P.K. what he did to Crosby.  Putting a target on his back.  Some dumb players actually listen to him.  He trashed Sidney for being a hot-dog, et.,et. and now he is saying that P.K. has a big mouth and players are out to get him.

And what’s with his saying that Crosby’s Gold Medal goal was a flubbed shot??? Is the man senile or just nasty?

Finally…I watched Jaro stone Crosby and the Pens.  How is it that we gave him away for NOTHING.  No matter where you stand on the Price/Halak debate (I am pro Halak), we should have gotten a “star” in return.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Goalies are at low value in the league and I can’t remember the last time you had a goalie swapped for a great forward in the NHL.

Little more patience with Eller, he had a good night and could’ve done more with sharper linemates, he wasn’t much to start the season in the AHL last year but by the end he had lead his AHL team in scoring.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

• Exit716 says:

The Habs were able to retain Plekanec with the Halak trade.

• HardHabits says:

How long until Lou gets behind the bench.

• K-hab25 says:

LOL, that’s the first thing I thought of when I heard he got benched tonight. It’s a pipe dream though.

• Vid says:

Quick!  Trade Gomez for Kovalchuk…

• Bill says:

Hook, line, and sinker.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Xtrahabsfan says:

Man HH are you ever full of it since the end of  last year  …First it’s tank and now it preaching garbage about how your a Price guy and we got all we could for Halak….Listen up reborn ,now I’m lol ing back at you. Halak again proved  how good he is by shutting out the two best forwards in Pro hockey ,again! And we should of got way more for him …so go 360% spin doctor that Bud! As  for Price  we’ll see at the midway point and the move to keep him was a GAMBLE!

• HardHabits says:

two words: should have

apart from that

a) tanking was a schtick for sh*ts and g*ggles but it was to drive home a point about what drafting means in todays NHL not to mention player development etc.

b) I was a Halak guy last year because he gave me the impression at the time that he could get the job done better than Price could, at the time I reiterate

c) even still I never imagined that Halak would’ve played like he did in the playoffs, but they won and they lost as a team

d) by the way, a 360° (not %) turn means right back where the start is

e) class is over, do more home-work next time you want to try-out for the majors

• SeriousFan09 says:

People are allowed to change opinions as they have new experiences and change their thinking based on new information. When did changing an opinion become such a negative thing?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

• athanor says:

Maybe he really meant 360%, in which case the turn would end up heading either in the 7 p.m. or 5 p.m. direction, depending on whether he meant to the left or the right.  And there might be some dizziness involved. :)

DLHABSNUT65

I agree 100%, plus they couldn’t afford a star in return thanks to the cap!! They just took a possible star at a cheaper price!! I like Eller, we just can’t expect too much too soon, and I agree with Boone, he needs wingers that can score!!

• Chuck says:

Tonight was the first sign of a good team: beating a team that they should beat.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

• K-hab25 says:

Another is winning home games, so Monday’s game is important. If we win, we can get some momentum going. Really loving the team D these past 3 or 4 games, holding teams under 25 shots a game. Still gotta cut down on the scoring chances though, but all in all, the team D is in mid season form, can’t wait till the offense catches up.

• SeriousFan09 says:

A complete game is always nice to watch, good to see the young players step up and show the talent.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

• SlovakHab says:

By a Sens blog “Silver Seven”

Mixed messagesAlex Kovalev
    It was tough to assess Kovalev’s game tonight. He was controlling the puck well, trying to make plays, and looked good in the offensive end. But he was also giving the puck away, sending blind passes into double coverage, and–frankly–getting embarrassed by the new generation of Habs players. If he thinks he might head back to Montreal after this season, he’s got another thing coming; he fits in to the Habs system like a square peg into a round hole.

Can’t agree more.!

• Mr. Biter says:

Great game by the Habs tonight but still the 2nd. worst PP in the league and that has to be addressed. A one timer lead to the 2nd. goal and as everyone knows I want MAB back but what do we do with OB> Also a great collage football game on now so bye.

• Number31 says:

Sure it’s the Sens who played yesterday, but the same thing happened to the Habs last week. They won in Buffalo and then beat the Sens at the Bell Center. The Sens won last night against the Sabres rather decisively (speaking of terrible, the Sabres at home are just bizarre) while the Habs had yesterday’s practice blacked out by a power failure. Alfredsson still looked pretty dangerous but credit goes to the Habs. It was sloppy at times but they came out on top (and classy, the refs let a lot go tonight….like an elbow by Ruutu, some interferences, hits behind the play, etc).

Good on Price for the shutout. After all those one-goal games or those times he pitched shutouts last year only to have a puck deflect in off a teammate late, he deserved this one.

And PK’s defensive play is just fine thank you very much.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

The P-K-C line is REALLY fun to watch. That is hockey. They know each other.

Price was awesome. I love great goaltending, and tonight he was great, so much fun to watch. Rebound control, and puck tracking were spot on. The kid has some sick skill and is playing like a true #1.

Awesome game.