About last night …

Good.

Maybe we can stop talking, at least for now, about overtaking Buffalo or making a deep run in the playoffs.

Your Montreal Canadiens played badly – down to the level of their opposition, as was the case against Edmonton – and they salvaged a point.

With Philadelphia and Ottawa losing, the Canadiens had a chance to jump up the Eastern Conference standings.

Their failure to do so is not cause for excessive worry.

A bit of tweaking and they’ll be ready for a HUGE four-pointer against Ottawa on Monday.

First tweak: Marc-André Bergeron probably will dress against the Senators. The power play went 1-for-6, and it wasn’t pretty.

Jaroslav Spacek played 5:29 on the PP. He had zero shots on goal.

Josh Gorges had 3:45 of PP time. One shot.

The Leafs crowded the slot, pressured the puck and forced the Canadiens into jittery, ill-conceived plays with the man advantage. No one went to the net. Everything was on the perimeter.

The MAB laser is badly needed at the point. Gorges does not belong on the power play.

But how will Jacques Martin use him?

Seventh D-man? Maybe. The coach certainly won’t mess with his Top 6, who have played very solid D since the Olympic break.

Fourth-line forward?

Maybe. But Glen Metropolit’s unit played well against Toronto. Along with the third line, they managed to create pressure and maintain puck possession in the Leafs’ end.

The other tweak on Monday night: Mike Cammalleri.

Tomas Plekanec and Andrei Kostitsyn are struggling. Tom Pyatt works his butt off, but the kid is not a top 6 forward.

I don’t know how sharp Cammalleri will be after a long layoff. But he plays his best games at the Bell Centre, and the Pleks line desperately needs a finisher.

Jacques Martin was not happy with his team’s work ethic at the ACC.

The coach said there was too much space between defencemen and forwards, too many long, low-percentage passes; not enough instances when the Canadiens were able to attack with speed.

Again, the team seems to play to the level of his competition.

The Leafs have heart. They’re young and they play hard.

But like Edmonton, which also took the Canadiens to a shootout, Toronto is a crap team.

A big indicator: the Canadiens, who average almost five minor penalties per game, took one. Scott Gomez’s retaliatory elbow on Dion Phaneuf cost his team Tyler Bozak’s power-play goal, but the Leafs were unable to muster enough offence to draw a single hook, hold, trip or interference call.

Maybe the absence of penalties indicated lack of intensity. But the Canadiens outhit an allegedly physical team 28-25, and allegedly big thumper Phaneuf was not a factor … although he seemed to take Gomez out of his game to a degree.

Goaltending?

Jaro Halak gave up fat rebounds. He wasn’t great on Phil Kessel’s quick wrister. And Jaro was beaten with dismaying ease by Nikolai Kulemin and John Mitchell in the shotout.

But Halak made 31 saves. And I don’t think the SO loss changed his Number One status.

That said, Price could use some work. I think Jaro will start against Ottawa, but we’ll probably see Carey in one of the mid-week back-to-backs, either in Buffalo or at home against the Panthers.

•  •  •

Tom Pyatt is on Hamilton’s playoff-eligible list and is probably destined for the Bulldogs with Cammalleri coming back.

The interesting question is who sits if MAB plays against Ottawa?

Either Maxim Lapierre or Mathieu Darche … probably Max.

•  •  •

Nothing close to a fight in the game, but Cherry showed four of them on Coach’s Corner.

And the NHL web site had a story and a video of the epic battle between Cam Janssen and Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond, which lasted nearly three minutes and might have been the longest fight in the history of the league.

•  •  •

Mystery solved.

Watching the HNIC pre-game show, I wondered abut Alyonka Larionov, the blonde honey working with  P.J. Stock at the Quebec Red Bull ice racing event.

An e-mail from Stu Hackel, who writes the Slap Shot blog for the New York Times:

She’s Igor’s
oldest daughter. She was working for the Penguins on their website last
season and half of this season, doing weekly video things on the
players, etc. and she mysteriously left in mid-season. She also fancies herself as a music star (along with her
sister, they have a duo act of sorts.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Because the organization has refused to consider coaches that don’t speak fluent French for political reasons rather than choices that are good for the team. I don’t have a problem with French coaches, I personally look forward to when Guy Boucher is ready to coach the big club but right now, there were much better choices to coach the Montreal Canadiens this summer than JM and it shows.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

2. MocaJoe says:

I bet they could hear AK snoring up in the broadcast booth…

When does Markov get the C?

Its going to be tough to see Hammer go… i hope someone gives him a nice deal

Overall a good night with a mix of laziness. one point better than no point

3. matraque says:

When MAB gets back, people will rain on him.  Just watch…

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

4. Led says:

A major bonehead firing.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

But Tipett doesn’t speak French!

Nevermind that the best coaches in Team history were pure Anglos and the team has fewer French Canadians than Czechs on the team.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. 100HABS says:

We got a point and no was injured – I’m happy.

If I could say that after each of the next ten games, I’d be even happier.

7. Led says:

Not a MAB fan either, however showey said he probably makes a difference tonight and I agree.

8. longtimehabsfan says:

Dave Tippet was underrated in Dallas.  Good coach.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

JM has absolutely refused to consider a forward on the point this entire season, I doubt he’s going to start now. He is a good coach in some ways, but his moves on PP personnel and SOs baffle.

Metropolit getting shifted in with Gomez/Gionta, no big body prescence at all, with Gorges/Spacek on the points being terrible, you’re better off with the Moore line at that point. Metro in place of Pyatt with AK/Pleks and Pouliot staying with Gomez/Gio would make a lot more sense.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

10. doug says:

Just a beautiful effort, wasn’t it?  Unbelievable team.

11. longtimehabsfan says:

Phoenix the NHL story of the year.

12. doug says:

Thinking Bryzgalov might deserve the Vezina

13. doug says:

totally agree – put a forward there.  It kills second half of our power play.  Not a huge fan of Bergeron dressing despite his performance there, either – would rather go with the six that we have now.

14. doug says:

The Phoenix broadcast has a bunch of interviews with an official who explains rules to them.  Planted by the NHL?  I think so.

15. Led says:

I’m not liking the decision of putting Spatch and Gorges together on the PP. At least Josh can move the puck around and keep it in the zone. Spatch seems to muff a lot of plays and shots. Split them up and offset their deficiencies by pairing them with a better PP guy.

We can talk about it over a few pints at Hurley’s if you like. I’ll be there next summit.

The Habs may lock up 5th or even 4th but no-one here expects them to go deep in the playoffs and IF they win the 1st round it’ll be an upset and they wont be doing it as the favourite. Don’t get me wrong. I am happy the Habs look like they’ll make the playoffs but there are too many missing pieces and those stem from the last 17 years of the team stagnating and spinning its wheels in the mud. As for the injuries, they are a symptom of the team’s lack of size and lack of grit. Yes Gio and Cammy are gritty but their size makes that grit subject to injury when confronted with a bigger piece of grit.

The problem is that people like PrimeTime, keepthefaith and you are satisfied with just making the playoffs and don’t really see that the team is not a real contender nor a threat for the Cup. It doesn’t mean they can’t win it, but it’s more than the odds that make it highly unlikely, it’s that the team lacks too many parts to make a 4 series run, IMHO.

18. ooder says:

don’t get me wrong… I don’t think Markov will be the captain either,

it’s just you mention cammy as leading by example… and well, i think the perfect leading by example candidate is Markov.

This guy controls the flow of the game every single shift… and even on off nights, he is still one of the best d-men on the ice.

honestly I would be happy with Gionta or Markov as captain…

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

19. notbigbird says:

Good thoughts. They seem to take us very seriously though. It’s probably a case of the supposedly lesser team getting up more.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think the rivalry is as significant to Montreal anymore. Over the last 10 years, the Bruins have been our common playoff adversary for the most part. The Bruins have been the more relevant rival to us for a while now, Toronto’s just a team like Buffalo that we play 6 times a year in our division these days. Have we played the Leafs in post-season since the 60s? I don’t think for most of the players, the rivalry really registers with them on a purely Toronto Versus Montreal basis.

Not that I think we need more Montrealers to rekindle that, we were packed with Quebecois last season and we still turned in some stinkers against them, albeit we also had some nice solid blowouts of them as well, not this year, skin of our teeth stuff every step of the way. I just don’t think we have a team that really considers the Montreal-Toronto rivalry as we fans see it. It’s another team to them more than a mortal enemy. We need that purely for wins of course, but this team just doesn’t seem to regard Toronto as one of those teams they NEED to beat anymore.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. keepthefaith says:

ATTENTION:  WOULD HARD HABITS AND RETRO MIKEY PLEASE TURN IN THEIR HABS FATIGUES AS YOU HAVE BEEN BUSTED BEING CLOSET LEAF FANS. (ALONG WITH ONE OTHER THING TO DO WITH CLOSETS)

YOUR NEW TEAM IS WHOEVER IS WINNING AND WHICHEVER TEAM COULD PLEASE YOU TWO EXPERT HOCKEY FANS.

22. Natrous says:

Someone posted an interview between Dominic Moore and Toronto 590 yesterday, who was quoted as saying something along the lines of “Markov introduced himself to me and Hal Gill piped up saying ‘That’s the last thing you’ll hear from him all season'”.

IMO, Markov is our MVP and we won’t win without him. For that reason, I would LOVE to see him extended through to age 40 or so in order to remain a Hab for life, however that doesn’t mean that he should be our captain. He doesn’t step up, and when he does (see his words to Carey earlier in the season), it’s labeled as a non-factor and something that happens all the time (which I’m sure it does).

Guys that don’t ever take a shift off (Cammi, Gionta) should be considered despite their lack in physical size. They both bring more heart and talent than most guys bigger than them, and either would make me proud of our captain if they were named. Ideally, I would love to see both guys be co-captains going into the playoffs.

Speaking of which, WTH kind of team goes into the playoffs without a captain???

23. notbigbird says:

The Leafs always, or almost always, outplay us. I don’t know why this continues to shock and confound people although I agree to not understand WHY we play them like this against them.

I meant kids as younger than me!! They out played us last night my friend, nothing less and nothing more. We are a much better team than we showed last night. We will play a lot better this coming week my friend.

25. showey47 says:

actually grabovski is at least a year or so older then AK and bozak is older then pouliot, but yes i hear what your saying. These “young kids” the leafs pulled out of college are guys in their mid 20’s not guys who are 20 or 21 like the picture the leaf media is trying to paint.

26. Exit716 says:

Typical Toronto sports writing.

We get it Stevie, the Habs suck compared to your Leafs.

Josh, it was the total minuits played in the game for them was to much and the 3rd and 4th played very little my friend. Back to back shifts is not the best, if you want better players fresher late in a game.

28. Jbird says:

Classic example of leaf fans vs Habs fans: eternal optimism and positive spin vs a realistic and often the sky is falling spin.   Bozak is the same age as Pouliot: we do not call Pouliot a Young Gun.  Grabs is the same age as AK and two years older than SK but the comparison is always with SK and Grabs.

29. diehardhab says:

I doubt the guys were “fried” on the PP. The minutes you rack up on the PP are usually not very tiring at all so its normal to see players take longer shifts.

The torch be yours to hold it high!

30. linp says:

It’s the PP system that sucks big time. You are not going to score if you are passing the puck all the time, no matter who is on the PP. We need to get guys in the crease and shoot the puck from the point. We have no one shooting from the point. We have only Gionta going to the crease. And he is the smallest guy on the team.

31. ooder says:

not that i disagree with your post…

it’s just funny that Markov won’t get the C because he doesn’t yell…

yet the reason Cammy gets the C is because he leads by example.

Markov has been the best hab for some time now… and especially last night this guy was a monster.

wether captain material or not, I don’t know beacuse I am not inside the locker room. However the team plays better and has better results when he plays.

Also, from his recent interviews his english has improved. once again I am not in the locker room so who knows.

and I don’t think anyone in thier right mind would advocate for ak, sk or lapierre

——————

32. Puck Bard says:

No kidding, I was happy with the point and that!

33. Keith says:

Hey, great to see ya again Ground Chuck! That avatar cracks me up every time lol!

34. hab lifer says:

I wish Cammalleri would play on Monday. we need his offence badly. right now habs have zero offence and it shows.

35. showey47 says:

“we can never play a dominant game at the ACC with us fans forking the big bucks”. sounds like complaining about money too me. As for where the team is going,they are right where i felt they would be before the season started.Not 12 or 13 like others have predicted. I wasn’t banking on all the long term injuries to so many key players though. Also,on average we are 0.2 years older then the leafs and we were younger then the leafs all season before the trade deadline and will probably be younger again once hamrlik is moved and when metro ,mara probably leaves as a ufa’s. I will give gauthier the benefit of the doubt of one draft/free agency period before judging him. He deserves at least that. As for not caring where the team is heading, i do care.As someone who has attended numerous nhl drafts,watch the dogs online and closely follow all our prospects both in north america and over seas. i think it qualifies myself as someone who cares. I just don’t feel the need to constantly complain everytime we don’t get 2 points. P.S.,the mistakes “bobby” made this summer has us in a playoff spot and are producing at a better rate then the players he let go.He also didn’t sacrifice lottery picks to make it happen.

36. nightmare_49 says:

… from Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun ………….. How much must it burn Burke to see the softness of the Eastern Conference, with Montreal, Ottawa and Boston currently in playoff positions and none of those teams overly impressive in any way and the Leafs nowhere to be found? …………………….   Shouldn’t the embarrassed Boston Bruins change their logo now and put a teddy bear on their uniform? ……………………….  TIME TO MOVE ON, SATHER :  Let’s assume, for a moment, that with eight of their final 11 games on the road, the New York Rangers will not make the playoffs. That would mean that a Glen Sather team would have missed the post-season for the ninth time in 19 season since winning his last Stanley Cup in Edmonton.

It would also mean that a Sather-built team will have more losses than wins for the 15th time in 19 seasons. The Hall of Fame induction of 1997 seems a long time ago now: It’s well past best-before date for Sather and it’s time to say goodbye and hello to Mark Messier and Adam Graves. It’s time to pass the torch. …………….. http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2010/03/21/13305231.html

37. WestHab says:

I missed the game, but I take it that we don’t have any new injuries?

38. nightmare_49 says:

… from Jim Matheson / Hockey World ………………  http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/More+Hockey+World/2707644/story.html ……………….  Boom Boom Geoffrion’s grandson Blake, a senior forward at the University of Wisconsin and a Nashville Predators draft pick, made the 10-player list for the Hobey Baker Award. Blake, whose dad Danny played for the Winnipeg Jets, grew up in Nashville. The Red Wings also have two finalists — Maine’s mighty-mite Gustav Nyquist, who leads the nation in points, and Wisconsin defenceman Brendan Smith.

One of Europe’s flashier free-agents, pygmy centre Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, who led the Swedish League in points and starred for Norway in the Olympics, wants to play in the NHL next year; his agent’s eyeing the Red Wings. The 22-year-old, who played for MoDo (Peter Forsberg and Markus Naslund’s team), is only five-foot-seven and 154 pounds, however

39. nightmare_49 says:

Hear Hear.

40. RetroMikey says:

And as I have said, I will keep going to the games root my teams when they win, bitch at them when they lose, no harm in that,  Them the breaks as they say.

I don’t waste my money or my time, it’s a night out for me and friends and family.  Money is not the topic of discussion in this.

Maybe you would heartbroken wasting the dough if you camt to Toronto and saw our beloved Habs lose, but not me.  I’m just disappointed that we lost to a younger unskilled team who will only get better with age.

It’s about passionate Habs fans like myself have every right to worry where this team is heading in the future.  The mistakes Bobby has made  this past summer will bite us in the butt for years to come.  17 years is a long time not having a parade in Montreal and don’t expect one in the very near future.

Perhaps I care where this team is heading and you don’t.

Shhh, don’t say I warnedyou but Gauthier’s rebuilding this team after this season.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

At the very least use SK on the PP.

42. showey47 says:

As i said,if you feel your not entertained when paying big bucks,then don’t go. If we suck so bad and have nothing to look forward to except years of doom and gloom of an on ice product and lousy management then why waste your time and money going to the games?

I was being a little tongue in cheek here, but Martin still over used his top guys early. I would have used 3rd and 4th more minutes. And you are quite right about a right shot from the point which MAB has. But I would like to play with 7 D so we don’t have to use him on a regular shift except for PP. Camillerie on the second line will help big time.

44. RetroMikey says:

I speak for others as well.  You were not at the game,  You did not hear other Habs fans’ comments.

Hockey is a sport which whould be entertaining for fans who pay the big bucks to root for their team, no crime if  others or myself bitch at the outcome of the game.  We have every right to be angry as the person next to me who is happy their team won.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

45. Arrow77 says:

True, but his answer still applies: Halak, like Price hasn’t proven to be either goalie. I would even add the possibility that they’re both average, although it’s less likely than the other two.

46. showey47 says:

Ian,you can’t use the entire 3rd and 4th liners on the PP. Carbo did that last year on numerous occasions and it was nothing short of embarrasing. When cammy comes back and gets his legs under him,it gives us a 2nd strong offensive line.

47. Arrow77 says:

I never agreed with the “win and you’re in” philosophy but I didn’t see any indication that Martin had let go of it, unlike way too many journalist. If Price wins the next one 5-4 and three of those goals are weak, I think he still starts the one after that.

That said, Halak has been good lately, but not great. He could probably use some time off before the playoffs starts (assuming he plays in them, which isn’t even sure). Besides, Ottawa is struggling and it’s a good team for Price to face.

True dat Showey. What really got to me was the under utilization of our 3rd and 4th.

49. showey47 says:

Ian,don’t let the pro-toronto sports media fool you.These “young kids” are only on average 0.2 years younger then we are. The local leaf media love to use the “young kids” angle in order to lower fan and media expectations and takes pressure off the team Our pp has been bad since mab went down,we have no big bomb from the point. This allows the PK to drop down and protect the slot and take away cross ice passes. It’s penalty killing 101. Other then kessel and bozak the rest of the leafs were pretty much non-existent. The fact that we were able to draw much more PP’s then the leafs shows who outworked who most of the night. These games are usually  close regardless of where either team is in the standings kind of like the old habs/nordiques days. Its been that way for decades.

50. showey47 says:

If your going to bitch and complain about paying big bucks for games we apparently never show up for then don’t go.

51. RetroMikey says:

Well said Ian.  Your last sentence summarized the game.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

52. joeybarrie says:

Agreed with win and your in, and Price should be in Monday…  I dont know about the rest.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

We did not play a great game for sure, but we have 13 points out of a possible 14 in 7 games. But I do question our coaching where they burned out our top two lines taking regular shifts and then fried them for 12 minutes on 6 power plays. Leaving two fresh lines sitting on the bench most of the game.

The 3rd and 4th line have nearly as much production as the top two lines lately. Why build great depth on 4 lines if you are not going to use them. Hell! what out come do you think if Martin had of played his 3rd and 4th lines on the power play at the least. Could they have done any worse, or do you think players like Darche and SK could have potted one or two. He also fried Markov on regular shifts and power plays so he could not go and was inaffective in the third. With so many power play minutes and opportunities, it is just foolish to keep playing our top guys over and over until they drop away in the 3rd. and overtime.

That is the way he coached in Ottawa in the play offs and they fell on their face time and time again.

Very disappointed in Martin, and I hope he picked up on his blunder of last night for future. I also did not see Muller talking to his ineffective power play units once. Or calling a time out to catch a breath. Even the coaches can have a bad game sometimes I suppose. But mostly a team of kids, 4 lines I might add, skated us into the ground last night.

And that’s the way I see,  ABOUT LAST NIGHT

IAN

54. joeybarrie says:

For the calls of Markov for the C.  Fo we want a shy, quiet, barely english speaking Captain?  I love Markov. But we need to let him be. He wants to concentrate on hockey. He isnt outgoing. His play is spectacular, but his leadership is not. We need a Captain who will go out and yell, tell those who need to shape up, and lead the team. ITS NOT MARKOV. He will play better if we leave him to his business.

Cammalleri as Captain… Lead by example.

Gionta as Captain…  He tell you to Smurf this as he smashes you into the wall with all 95 pounds. And then wink as he blows by you to score…

Gomez, should also be left to his devices. Give him an A

Gill, doesnt get enough time on the ice to be a C

Those of you calling for Lapierre, get real…

Pleks, not unless he signs, and even then, let him play.

Ak or Sk……cant speak english, cant speak french, cant be Captain. Besides we need someone with REAL heart.

Pouliot, not yet,

IN THE END. My hope is for CAPTAIN CAMMA………..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

55. thepriceiswrong says:

Hey Boone, What happened to win and youre in??????

Price needs to start next time.

You and everyone else protected Halak after a terrible game vs edmonton when he saved face in the shootout.

You are setting Carey up to fail by leaving him on the bench any longer.

If Jaro starts monday, then JM is just as dumb as you guys

56. elcapitan11 says:

As much as I hated the result of the game, I honestly couldn’t stop laughing from seeing Dion Phaneuf introduce his stick to his face. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syXwXN1uKpk

57. elcapitan11 says:

Ron Maclean confirmed that right after he introduced her at the crashed ice event.

58. joeybarrie says:

For a team that was told over and over that we would BARELY make the Playoffs IF AT ALL…. We are still tied for 5th….

We play both Ottawa and Philly. Plus 2 nig games against Buffalo. If we take these 4 games????  How close to standing alone in 5th would we be?

Deep Playoff run? I dont think so. But we can go past the 1st round. And thats ALOT more than MANY in here said we would. ISNT THAT RIGHT TIMO and COMPANY….

AGAIN, Imagine where we would be without injuries.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

59. projectpete19 says:

the leafs have played with heart for a couple years now…and they are still s**t.  nothing will change.

60. mrhabby says:

i guess i agree to a certain extent with what you said. that being said we don’t really care about 3-4 years down the road..we care about this year what are the HABS going to do this year….yes?

61. RetroMikey says:

Uh yup, you win some, uh yup you lose some.

Was at the game, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. and I speak for many Habs fans. we can never play a dominant game at the ACC with us fans forking the big bucks, but hey if the team is quite content to just make it in 8th place for a playoff spot, who am I to tell them they are wrong not to play hard game in and out and hustle, hustle, hustle?

Boone said it perfectly, “The Leafs have heart. They’re young and they play hard.” Their  team may be s**t  but they are building on something for the future as supposingly we are. The battle of Toronto vs Montreal 3 or 4 years from now,…… can’t wait to see which team will be the better one and who really is the genus who built their team to contenders, Burke or Gauthier(wirh Bobby beind Pierre’s shoulder)?

Onward bound I say, hopefully, the Habs  will play better for their mighty fans at home or fans like myself treking down the QEW to Buffalo to seem them play Wednesday.

Somehow I sense Buffalo will be ready to give us a spanking in their arena when the Hab come into Buffalo.

Uh yup, you win some, uh yup you lose some. But as the song goes…I got a feeling, I got a feeling, etc…

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

62. G-Man says:

Funny what PLAYERS can do. That coaching and mangement thing you’re on is dead wrong. The game has always been about the PLAYERS. Scotty Bowman wouldn’t be considered a “great” coach if all his players during his career were AHLers disguised as NHLers. OTher than that, how’d you like the loss, Timo? Did it make you feel better? :)

63. Danno says:

Insanely brilliant?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

64. Exit716 says:

Didn’t Larionov say she would be around a lot more on Hockey Night In Toronto?

65. Danno says:

Hey Boone, great analysis up of a crappy game. If only the Habs would have put in the same kind of effort as you put into your writing we would have crushed them.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

66. linp says:

I still can’t believe what our PP coach told the players to do. There was no one-timer from the point man. We kept passing the puck around. With or without MAB, we should fire more often from the point and go for the tip-in, deflection or rebound. Markov didn’t play well during the PP.

I am impressed with Spacek. He played much better than Hamrlik. SK had more jump than AK. Gill vs Kessel is a big miss-match in speed. I still like our 4th line. It was solid all around. Moore played like he didn’t want to beat his former team. Gomez was not skating like he usually does. Plekanec’s line didn’t create any offensive punch. Overall, the defensive still played solid apart from the 2nd goal when Gorges pinched in.

We didn’t suffer any injury. That is one positive thing coming out from the game.

67. JF says:

Well I’m glad that’s over.  No one was injured and we got a point, although for most of the third period it looked like we wouldn’t.  We were doing little other than defending ourselves, clearing our zone and dumping the puck, creating nothing.  We had our best scoring chances in the first period, but suffered from our usual lack of finish.  The extra days off might in the long run be a good thing, but last night the rust showed; our attack lacked cohesion all night, passes were off the mark, and we had trouble getting anything going, particularly on the powerplay, which was painful to watch.  Getting Bergeron and Cammalleri back should help, but it may take a couple of games.

Halak was OK, but it’s been a while since he’s been (or had to be) outstanding.  Most games since the Olympic break we’ve scored more than two goals and he hasn’t had to be better than solid.  This is a busy week, so I certainly think Price should get one of the back-to-backs, perhaps Buffalo.  Other than the first period in Anaheim, he’s played well in the games he’s started.

I actually don’t think the Leafs are a crap team.  They play with a lot of intensity and they forecheck hard.  They’re a great deal better than they were earlier in the season, and with a couple more moves by Burke, they’ll be a quite decent team now that they have reasonably solid goaltending.  They looked better than we did in the third period and they were very good against Jersey the other night.

68. showey47 says:

yup,the gold medal winning bum luongo was on he knees early and was beaten high glove by a backhander. I also saw it happen to lundqvist today from dennis wideman with a back hander from the top of the faceoff circle. So,contrary to HIO belief this doesn’t only happen to price.

69. Beaco says:

Clearly brilliant!

A fine line between genius and madness and you walk it like Nadia Comăneci.

70. habsfan0 says:

The REAL test of this team’s mettle is coming up. With Bergeron and Cammalleri returning, the Habs’ lineup will be as healthy as it’s been all season.Unlike the last few weeks when the Canadiens basically got fat on opposition whose records were poorer than theirs,i.e., Rangers,Bruins,Lightning,Oilers,Ducks…the coming week will see them play teams tied or above them in the standings…Senators,Sabres,Devils. We will all wait with baited breath to see how the Habs fare against these teams..

71. andrewberkshire says:

I hope everyone realizes that this is just a ploy to screw up Boston’s lottery pick, we’re giving the Leafs points on purpose!

72. GrimJim says:

Honestly, I can’t tell if you’re brilliant or insane…

73. andrewberkshire says:

I don’t think anyone is justified in attacking MAB, no matter how bad he may or may not play. The guy was unbelievably clutch while Markov was out, 4 gwg, tied with Cammalleri.

74. cautiousoptimist says:

Man, I am getting sick and tired of all the Sanford fanboys on here, always ragging on Price and Halak just to push their pro-Sanford agenda.  You guys need to learn to put the team first and your petty little biases second, look further than the Sanford posters on your bedroom walls in your parents’ basement, and realize that even if Sanford never gets another shot in the NHL, it’s the team’s success that matters.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  75. SeriousFan09 says:

Except that the Canadiens aren’t anything to do with the government and are a private institution, a for-profit enterprise and the players are the club’s paid entertainers and so their only objective should be success. It is the mandate of the coach to get the team to win hockey games and since the team is composed of at most, 3 guys who have French as their primary language and all 3 of them speak English anyway, how is the day-to-day basic requirements of his job have anything to do with speaking French? He’s there to run a winning hockey team.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

76. Flabadagub says:

I ain’t gonna complian till the Habs miss the playoffs by one point.

77. Matt_in_TO says:

Oh by the way, forgot to mention this last night.  I know you’ll all get a kick out of it like I did last night.  Right before the leafs take the ice they have the customary video montage that plays.  They have a new one, new since boxing day, that plays and basically made my blood boil.  Here’s a link to a shortened version of it.

Here’s the lyrics

FREE TO BE

(THE LEAFS’ SONG)

VERSE 1

From
    the Isle of Vancouver
    To the Labrador Sea
    One nation, glorious
    and free
    Where I’m free to be me.

VERSE 2

From the
    song of the Prairies
    To the call of the pond
    Heroes of times
    come and gone
    Where the memories go on and on and on
    Oh! Oh! Oh!
    This is Canada’s song
    Oh! Oh! Oh! Where my heart belongs

VERSE

Free to be a dreamer
    Free to be who you are
    Free to
    believe in your star
    Free to go far
    Oh! Oh! Oh! That’s Canada’s
    dream (Go Leafs Go)
    Oh! Oh! Oh! This is Canada’s team (Go Leafs Go)

Free to be a dreamer
    Free to be who you are

I did find a funny parody of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy7RSD2WCFk&feature=youtube_gdata

- Member of Team Price

78. Willy the bum says:

BBLLEEEHHHHHH…. I’m gonna miss tomorrow night’s game against the Sens!

Cammalleri and Bergeron are back in line-up, gonna bring some whup-a** and start another winning streak!

I smell 3rd place by end season; it’s my risky prediction!

79. Bryan says:

Oh yeah?  Who?

My cousin plays in the OHL… that’s like the same thing!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

80. Former Jets Fan says:

I’m guessing Matthew in Flint would be Matthew Spezza, goalie for the Flint Generals.  Didn’t his user name tip you off?

81. SensFanSpezza says:

I was always a Habs fan, but my bro plays for the Sens so what can you do?

82. CharlottetownHabbies says:

Are you Gary Bettman, or am I shittered?

83. light_n_tasty says:

Well, you would probably be unemployed and the bank would be about to foreclose on your house…

But other then that, yah, a great place to be.

84. hab lifer says:

I spent 10 years there. living in the suburb of Tempe(ASU is there). love the desert and those desert dogs!

great fans there and deserve the winner they now have. Phoenix Coyotes are a serious candidate for the stanley cup. go Phoenix go!

85. Castor says:

If they aren’t working hard, I get ticked off too.
    I don’t, however, throw in the towel on the team every night they don’t play well. Like a lot of people here do.

I don’t expect this team to go all the way to the cup this year. Who does, realistically? I want them to play well, make the playoffs and then make some noise in the playoffs so they can come back even stronger next year.

Realistic and somewhat optimistic.

Yell and scream about these “bunch of bums” after they’ve gone 6 – 1 – 1 in their last 8? C’mon.

86. Castor says:

He’s the biggest downer on this site by far.
    He was the one who said the Habs we’re going to go 0- 3 on their west coast trip.

It’s amazing. The Habs win 6 in a row and then have an off night (But STILL pick up a point)

And to Timo (and others) they’re a bunch of bums. It’s unbelievable.

They won’t be happy until the Habs are 82 – 0 on a Season.

87. spos080808 says:

Yah bc I am sure you are on top of your life 24/7, let it be at your job or dealing with kids, parents etc…You never have a down day in your life right? Give it a rest!

88. spos080808 says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself!!

89. habs fan from stonyplain says:

also there are people on this site which I will not name figure if they don’t score they are not working hard like ak he is’nt scoreing but he is hitting. and also if the habs don’t go 82-0 and score 300 goals the team is bad and gainey or pg has a crap team. Yes we have small forwards but there is a big body on our top two lines, and the bottom six is bigger yet. Our defense is gelling and people still complain, so just watch and cheer and when we finish 5th I will laugh and tell all the negitive hab fans how does the humble pie taste.

90. showey47 says:

Considering he is still 6th in the league in PP goals despite not playing 21 games would say he’s been a factor much more often on the PP then not. I’m sure he also had a role in the PP jumping from 28th to 7th when he joined the team and then when markov came back put it over the top and were #1 overall.

91. HABWARRIOR says:

Are u ever optimistic?No.Never.Always negativity from you.Must suck to have your mindset and outlook.

92. light_n_tasty says:

I have to (somewhat) agree about MAB.  Before he went down, MAB wasn’t doing much on the PP, although at one point during the year he was second among all D-men in goals.  I think a forward with a shot (maybe AK? Cammy?) could be a better option. At the same time though, would anyone miss Crapierre if MAB replaced him on the 4th line?

As for Pleks, one can only hope that his recent slide will result in a more reasonable contract.  But I hope Cammy lights it up with them when he gets back.

93. avatar_58 says:

I remember that – people blamed Price. Habs fans….

94. avatar_58 says:

Hmm? The first goal was caused by Gill smacking Halak. I don’t see why it shouldn’t have counted.

March 21st—Weekly stats where we place in the 30 team league.

Goals Against–198, We are in 14th place. Last week we were in 16th place.

Total Points—–79, We are tied with Ottawa in 15th place, Last week we were in 16th place.

Goals For——-196, We are in 15th place. Last week we were in 10th place.

Goal production seems to be our weak link lately. Compared to the 30 teams, we are right in the middle of them. When Camilarie and MAB get back we should boost by a goal a game.

96. showey47 says:

as per the drop in goal scoring, we also only played 2 games last week where alot of teams played 3 or 4. With 4 games this week i would think we would move back up in that statistic.

97. ooder says:

thanks for doing these Ian…

It’s nice to see the progression of the team on a weekly basis..

Here’s hoping Cammy will help us out in the goal scoring dpeartment

——————

98. ooder says:

as for the return of MAB and where to put him…

I would try Cammy at the point instead of him.

He already played there and this way we don’t have to disturb the 4th line or our defense

——————

99. showey47 says:

so bruins and rangers at 12:30. Is it go bruins or go rangers?  As much as i hate the bruins,a ranger loss would put another nail in thier coffin. I dunno, i just hope its not a 3 point game.

100. ooder says:

i am going for the rangers… that way the bruins and rangers will still be far enough for a bit of comfort room

——————

101. Danno says:

I say go Bruins and snuff the Rangers out of contention.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

102. ABHabsfan says:

The logical way to go would be to cheer for the Bruins but I just can’t! I can’t stand the Bs, 3-way tie for the teams I hate, Leafs, Bruins and Flyers. Though the Leafs are hardly worth hating since they barely qualify as an NHL team. I don’t think the Rangers as much a threat for the playoffs as the Thrashers, they are playing much better and could squeak in.

Same point for goals against Showey. Now that the other teams games in hand have diminished, our goals against has  improved accordingly.

Overall Halak and the team is playing good defence

104. habs001 says:

the key for the habs is to make the playoffs as upsets do happen…right now i belive there are about 7 teams that have a better roster than we do and we are in a group of about 12 teams where the over all line ups are pretty equal..to make the jump into the top six in the next 2 years will depend on management making the right decisions and player development…

105. The Juice says:

7 teams with better rosters? I hope you are talking about the NHL as a whole and not the Eastern Conference. In the East, I would only give the Caps, Pens, and Devils the nod over the Habs in terms of pure roster talent….

106. showey47 says:

I guess it’s hard to tell since we haven’t played a full game with our entire roster yet.We may finally get to see it this week though.

107. MikeL says:

Going back to last night, it bothered me that Kessel’s goal went in, and also the two shootout goals on Jaro. I’m not sure what the pro scouting department does exactly, but if a fan like myself knows Kessel shoots high blocker side every single time he is skating down the right wing, shouldn’t Jaro? Or shouldn’t someone at least tell him? I know some shots are just so good they can’t be stopped regardless, but I actually made a comment a few days ago to a Leafs buddy of mine that if I was a goalie and Kessel was coming down the right wing, I’d just stand over by the far post (semi-joking of course).

And then there was the shootout. I looked at everyone in the room with me and told them Nikoli Kulamin only ever scores when he does the blocker move. Well, he did it and scored. Then, John Mitchell comes in and does the same move he did the shootout before. The.exact.same.move. Either the goalies’ awareness, or the pro scouting, needs to be better.

108. Chuck says:

As far as Jaro ended up out of position on that last shootout goal, you’d think that sometimes it would be better to stand your ground no matter how the shooter tries to deke you; keep as much of your body as possible between the pipes and force the shooter to not hit you with the puck. I mean, Jaro fell for that move hook, line, and sinker.

That said, if JM insists that Halak will be his go-to guy in the playoffs, then he had better start Jaro next game. The playoffs are all about bouncing back from a less-than-spactacular game. Losing streaks aren’t allowed after April 10th, so Jaro should have the opportunity to cut this one off at the pass.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

109. smiler2729 says:

On Kessel, if Halak is expecting a high shot and then Phil shoots low then he’s mud anyway, bottom line, Phil Kessel is a bonafide sniper.

On the shootout, it’s a crapshoot. Jaro was beat 3 times last night one crossbar and two goals… whatever, shootouts are an embarrassment to the team game of hockey. Imagine baseball settling a tie game by going to 2 outfielders for 2 innings after 9 and then settling it with a homerun derby if it’s still tied!

110. Stooof says:

Here’s my problem with our shootout.  JM keeps going with gomez or pleky, who both are atrotious at the shoot out.  give some of the other younger ones a chacne.   id love to see more of AK, ( i was so happy he was there and not pleky)  and more of say benoit or sergei or metro even.  hes got great hands!

No more gomez in the shootout please!!!

111. Chuck says:

I’m not happy with them either, but as long as they’re part of the game you need to do your best to take advantage of the extra point that it could give you. Practice, practice, practice. And watch video of your opposition to pick out their tendancies, too.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

112. The Juice says:

Get over your disdain for shootouts, it’s here to stay. Other than a fight, nothing gets fans out of their seats more consistently. Your baseball analogy is flawed. Compare hockey to soccer to be more accurate. If the shootout is good enough to decide Olympic Gold, and the World Cup, surely its good enough for NHL hockey.

113. Chuck says:

Instead of cheering for the bRuins, cheer against the Rags. It’ll be easier on your concience.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

114. The Juice says:

Don’t worry about that game, neither team is catching the Habs, instead focus your negative hexes on the Flyers as they take on the Thrashers again. The key for the Habs is to finish 6th so we draw the Sabres in round 1 ;)

115. avatar_58 says:

They had to lose eventually right? Who cares, leafs still suck and they are still in the basement whereas OUR team is where? Yeah that’s right – tied for 5th. Bite me Toronto fans.

116. Danno says:

Leafs should have lost. The first goal should never have counted. They won by cheating.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

117. PrimeTime says:

Boone: “Maybe we can stop talking, at least for now, about overtaking Buffalo or making a deep run in the playoffs”.

If anyone knows anything about Hab (mostly 18-30 yr olds) fans it is they are bi-polar…one extreme to the other. Most have never built or grown anything or have the maturity and patience to do so yet. It’s the X (or Xbox) generation sense of entitlement and instantaneous satisfaction or “start over”. Last year all said the powerhouse Bruins would rule the Eastern Conference for years…so wise are these young buckaroos.

Now many are lauding the Leafs after a single win against our team. One has think that the fans need more development than the team. Hab fans used to be the most knowledgeable of any. The Leafs are obviously a horrible team in every aspect of their organization. Burke is trying to accomplish something that hasnt been done in generations. I credit the man for his ambitions and his desire to satisfy this massive ego but that is a very long road ahead of him. Our Habs may not be a top echelon team this year but we are miles ahead of the Leafs. Concrete evidence lies in the league standings of both NHL and AHL teams.

As for the future, it is unpredictable but likely Kessel will be a veteran by the time Burke can get the rest of that organiztion anywhere near cup contention and then Kessel becomes the next Mats Sundin. No, we can’t say we are contenders yet either but I’d rather be in our shoes than theirs right now. Sure we had a bad game after a long rest following a solid run of 7 of 8 games to move up the standings. So what! This team has shown pride and a lot of heart all year and no one anticipates that will change. They have shown more times than not they wear the crest with pride and although probably won’t make “a deep run” in the playoffs, they will be there and work their butts off to accomplish what most thought they wouldn’t this year. But I won’t be surprised, should they chips fall our way, we can make some noise. It won’t be good enough for the fans who expect nothing less than winning the Cup but perhaps someday when they grow up they will realize the true value and pride of being a Habs fan is not only in championships but how they are won! Until then, you are just like any other fan cheering or dissing for any other team. Be better, be smarter, and “rise above it”!

118. t1tan5 says:

For a person against cynicism, that’s a pretty cynical first paragraph you have there. I guess it’s human nature to look down on the younger generation. The G.I. generation looked down upon the babyboomers and so on and so forth.

119. smiler2729 says:

I’ll sum up the game… zzzzzzzzzzzzz… 1 point? WOOOO!

120. darcy1 says:

agreed.. it was nice to leave the ACC knowing Markov will play monday :-)

121. Bill says:

Can’t win them all.

Full Breezer 4 Life

122. CalgaryHabsFan says:

Certainly not a good effort by the boys tonight but considering the shape we were in just prior to the olympic break I cant complain.

Need to regroup for Monday against Ottawa.

“Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”

123. HABWARRIOR says:

Boone its not like the leafs were miles better than the habs….i think it was an evenly played game and towards the end we dominated.Coulda gone either way……eeesh.

124. SensFanSpezza says:

You don’t know much about the mechanics of hockey if you think Halak has big rebound problems.  I guess someone, probably Pierre McGuire or Dany Dube, said it and you unquestioningly buy it.  The fact is, all goalies give up rebounds because rubber, going at ninety-plus miles an hour and hitting bouncy material like goalie pads, will rebound.  Halak usually does a pretty decent job at steering the rebounds to areas that don’t hurt him, usually to the corner or to a teammate with his stick poised to clear.  Tonight, the first goal happened after Gill sticked Halak in the head and failed to clear the puck out of the crease.  The second was a nice shot by Kessel after the D got caught and Halak was moving awkwardly.  The shootout is a breakaway competition.  Some idiot savants are going to be good at it and catch your goalie out.  In this game, rebounds were not an issue for Halak.  Saying they were is just ignorant.

125. ooder says:

i agree… people make Halak’s rebound issue way worst then it is.

2 years ago they were terrible, but he has gotten way better…

as for your man Spezza…. 3 goals eh, not bad

——————

126. Habitant in Surrey says:

…have You ever considered changin’ Your stripes SFS ? …I take by You hangin’ out here, that You are ‘almost’ a Hab Fan as it is

…might as well jump in with both feet …we’ll let You keep Spezza in Your pool if THAT makes a difference  :-))

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

127. Les-Habitants says:

The nice thing about the loss is that it gives JM an excuse to insert MAB into the lineup.  It’d be pretty hard to make a point for breaking up a lineup that had won 7 games in a row…ok, grasping at straws, but take what you can get right?

MAB isn’t a top 6 D, at least not in this lineup.  He’ll be better placed as a forward, and JM pretty much hinted at that in his press conference a few days ago when he kept on talking about how valuable an asset that is.  The only guy he could possibly replace is Gill, and they provide totally different things to the team so they won’t.  Lapierre will very likely be the odd man out.  (although I’d guess that Pyatt will be first)

128. Shiloh says:

Saw quite a bit of the game and thought we should be glad we scooped a point for the regulation tie. I’m really not sure that Gomez is the guy we want on shoot-outs, but I’m not going to complain – we’ve had a good run while playing through significant injuries.

129. SeriousFan09 says:

All I want for our last game this season is a real beatdown of the Leafs, we will not have had one for over a year to date by that point.

It’s a good thing the Leafs aren’t making the playoffs, as it were, we would probably lose to them in it. The team can’t find their hate and desire to beat them like the Leafs bring every time they play.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

130. SeriousFan09 says:

A sellout crowd in Phoenix, the cost of all those tickets couldn’t fill the nosebleeds of the Bell Centre. That team’s never going to be profitable unfortunately.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

131. doug says:

What a game in Phoenix.  Just amazing to watch.  Coyotes down twice by two including 4-2 with less than 12 minutes left and tied it.  Had a penalty shot in OT!  Missed.  Now just put one in with 16 seconds left and call on ice is no goal.  Stay tuned.  Amazing, amazing match.  I love the Coyotes. . . and while they shouldn’t still be in Phoenix it’s a sellout crowd.

132. RetroMikey says:

If I was looking at New Jersey, Pittsburgh or Buffalo in the first
    round of the playoffs, I’d want to know that our team could mop the
    floor with the lowly Leafs.

Didn’t happen.

We better start winning and not coast these last 10 games and take teams lightly.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

133. ooder says:

right whatever….

we all know that halak can do no good in your world…

——————

134. oshawahabsfan says:

Amen to that! The most important thing to come from this game, with the exception of getting two points was Markov leaving the ice as good as he was when the game started.

135. avatar_58 says:

We are 2nd in PP BECAUSE of Metro and Bergeron. Remember that.