About last night …

Magic.

That’s what Dany Dubé was calling it on the CKAC post-game show. But for me and maybe for 21,000 deliriously happy fans in the Bell Centre (there were a couple hundred Rangers supporters), it was more of a 21st century religious experience:

Woodstock Meets Triumph of the Will

"Olé! Olé! Olé! Olé! …. and BTW, Avery sucks!"

The revivalists and I bore wiitness to something that had never happened in the long and often glorious history of the Montreal Canadiens. The team had never come back from 5-0 to win a hockey game.

Not with Maurice Richard.

Not with Jean Béliveau.

Not with Guy Lafleur.

The greatest comeback in 99 years of Montreal hockey was keyed by …. organ flourish, please … Michael Ryder.

There is a God – and He loves Newfoundlanders

Bob: About that trade …

To be honest, I still don’t understand what I saw last night. Maybe I’ll have figured things out in time for the Habs Inside/Out podcast, later today.

For now, here are a few scatter-shot observations.

• The seventh man deserved the first star. The crowd was frenzied last night – exhilarating and a little scary. Canadiens were still buzzing about it after the game, as was Rangers coach Tom Renney. In how many NHL rinks is there a thunderous ovation for winning a dying-seconds faceoff?

• Cristobal Huet is number one … again … for now. Three brilliant stops in the shootout, and then the low-key Frenchman leapt into the waiting arms of Mike Komisarek. It was the hockey version of Yogi Berra and Don Larson.

• Komisarek is a journalist’s delight, always candid and quotable. After last night’s comeback, he was as happy and voluble as I’ve ever seen him. When fans littered the ice after his second high-sticking penalty (let’s be thankful the promotion wasn’t Stick Night), the penalty box timekeeper told Komisarek "I haven’t seen anything like this since the Forum."

• Steve Bégin had EIGHT hits, each one a thunderous affirmation of a simple message: "We’re not done yet!"

• Maxim Lapierre was plus-3 and may have found his offensive groove with Michael Ryder and Mark Streit.

• My man Josh Gorges, a clean slate (he was not on for any of the five New York goals) and huge in OT.

• Canadiens need a team award for the player who handles adversity with the most courage and class. Name it after Job or Bob Gainey, and the winner is … Michael Ryder.

• Another great night in Moscow on the St. Lawrence: Alex Kovalev (introduces the feet-up goal celebration), the brilliant Andrei Markov, the Fabulous Flying Kostitsyn Brothers. 5-0? BFD. These people trailed by four touchdowns at Stalingrad.

• Roman Hamrlik for the Kipling Award: If you can keep your head while all about you …

• I felt bad for Tom Kostopoulos, Bryan Smolinski and Patrice Brisebois. They missed a game their teammates will be telling their grandchildren about.

• The thumpers who usually bedevil Canadiens – Blair Betts, Jason Strudwick, Ryan Hollweg – were each minus-2.

• Say what you will about Sean Avery – and what was said, at high decibels in the upper reaches of the stands, cannot be printed, not even in a blog – but the little s— can play hockey: six shots, four hits, plus-2. I’d trade for him tomorrow – unles the Rangers asked for Michael Ryder.

OK, I have to go put on my makeup for the podcast. So one last crazy thought after an insane evening:

This is beginning to look like a team of destiny.

1. Wencz says:

you may be right about ryder… higgy and saku haven’t had great seasons.

i also agree with what you said about price. i think that this team — and this has been going on since we had theodore in net — tries to often to lean on a hot goalie.

2. Wencz says:

can you confirm that Wops? I’d be surprised.

3. Wencz says:

If it’s nothing offensive I think we should just let people post what they want to.

4. Chorske says:

I don’t mind people posting ideas for lineups, as long as they mix it up. Reposting the same idea repeatedly is kind of spammy, and I don’t even read his posts anymore, which is a shame. I’m sure Mike has to other interesting things to say- so he should say them.

5. Vid says:

Well Koivu had a career high in points last season and expecting him to match that would be stretching it but he started off the season pretty hot then cooled down considerably. He did seem a step slower and not as good at protecting the puck. I thought last season the main strength of that line was their cycling behind the net but I don’t think I’ve seen them do any of that this season. If memory serves me correct a lot of goals were scored with Koivu setting up someone from behind the net (or in Gretzky’s office).

Higgy with 18 goals snake bitten? I think you could say Ryder was snake bitten. Higgins I think is doing fine, he only had 2 points more after 61 games last season for his injury. I guess fans were expecting a more dramatic point per game production from him.

I remember Ryder with Lapierre and Higgins worked out pretty well (can’t remember when) Higgins setting Ryder up on a nice give and go 2 on 1 that broke Ryder out of his slump. (I think that was Ryder’s 7th goal of the season?) Not sure why that line was broken up. At least Ryder has proven that he can score goals without the usual suspects and what important goals they have been.

6. krob1000 says:

my bad…..i knew the score and they scored four in the third but I forgot we also scored what should have been an insurance marker.

7. Vid says:

No to the first question…we choked a 3 goal lead that time.

but that’s a minor detail, otherwise excellent points made.

8. Blitzen says:

Truly sorry if it offended you. I’ve changed my sig.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

9. Chuck says:

And to think that we thought that the comeback in the Devil’s game was as good as it gets! Last night’s game was just another in what no doubt will be a long list of “defining moments”.

I’m with you, Sulemaan. After they tied it to take it to overtime, I couldn’t have been more proud of them; it wouldn’t have mattered to me if they had lost in overtime or the shootout. The extra point was just icing on the cake… and what sweet icing it is!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

10. Wops says:

Precision for Mike Boone: (Great Blog by the way!)

A 5-0 comeback with Richard, Béliveau and LaFleur never happened because they were never down 5-0!

_______________________________________
    “3P Break: The comeback ain’t happening. Rangers are too good, too fast and too smart.” – Mike, hehehe <– sry Mike had to do it!

11. Blitzen says:

Oh and EVERYBODY remember this game when they get a two-game skid.

I think what we’re seeing now is what happens when you pull together a bunch of character guys, many of whom could be a team captain: Koivu, Higgins, Komi, Kovy, etc…, etc…

Talent is great but character and grit are hard to learn also.
    _____________________________________________________
    Jesus Price: the Blocker, the Glove and the Holy Post

12. Sulemaan says:

Absolutely proud to be a Habs fan. Leafs fans are all bitter here in the office. Love it.

Honestly, I wouldn’t have cared if they even lost in overtime because they put the effort in. That’s all I ask for and they delivered it in spades.

I think of the ‘Too Many Men’ game in 1979, the ‘McSorely stick’ penalty in ’93 and this game is right up there.

I also wouldn’t make a single trade unless someone wants Brisebois or Smolinski. If anything, last night has made things easier for Bob Gainey. He is not in the position where he has to make a trade.

Besides, chemistry is a funny thing so why mess with a winning formula?

13. Mike says:

just wanted to say, i feel a bit bad for price. he was thrown into his fourth straight game and expected to stand on his head. When he got pulled the crown started “huet” chants and im sure it really hurt. At the end of the game. he tried so haard to join the celebration but he was unintentionally left out.

14. MikeL says:

I just noticed something funny…I was searching the internet finding any and all articles written about last night’s game. I came across the Montreal Gazette webpage and found their write ups. What’s very interesting is that the fourth column down the page is written by Pat Hickey and headlines “Canadiens stumble”, followed by an intro summary reading “It was not the start the Canadiens wanted against the New York Rangers, who scored three first-period…” and has a picture of Price letting in a goal. When you click on it, it goes to his “new” article, talking about the comeback. Sounds like Mr. Hickey began writing his column a little early last night. And I’m sure he wasn’t the only one.

15. Rogie30 says:

Hello, I just posted above, then saw your post,next time will read more as I said mostly the same things, have to type fast before my boss comes back. Huet seemed different in the shootout, never committed first, you are so right.

16. Rogie30 says:

Did anyone notice when we scored the third goal, the crowd really got into it, my friends were saying Montreal is so loud when they want to be, this game had me in tears and couldnt sleep. Huet was different in the shootout, he NEVER committed first, waited for the shooter to make the first move, THATS THE SECRET. I love him, today.

17. mjames says:

The guy has been posting the same message a few times each day for the past month.

mjames

18. HabsWatcher says:

Well, two trades actually – Ryder & Begin.

Interesting to see the new three amigos (the 3 ‘major’ free agent signings from last summer) all watching from the pressbox – where they should have been for most of the season.

19. JF says:

Not to worry about Price. I felt bad for him too, but I love the way he and Huet complement each other. Huet had a great stretch and when he faltered, Price stepped in and was stellar. Now it’s Huet’s turn to bail out Price. I think his performance last night, particularly in the shootout, will help him develop that extra dimension a goaltender needs in the playoffs. But Price will be back. On the weekend he showed great composure and nerve, and also the lightning-quick reflexes I didn’t see earlier in the season. He and Huet make a great tandem. I think we have better goaltending than Ottawa, as well as more character and grit.

20. Sbah Reverof says:

I saw the team win the Cup from 76-79, yet oddly enough, I have never been prouder to be a Habs fan than I am today.
    I can’t say much that hasn’t already been said, and words can do no justice to last night’s game; I am quite speechless today.
    So let me just say I think Price should start in nets on Thursday, let’s see if he can rebound from his first-period ejection.
    ps-to Ian Cobb, I still remember our collective frustration over the team back in late fall, which makes today all the more sweeter.

21. HabsInBlood says:

I will say again everyone should get a TIVO or some kind of DVR. I rewound to all the hits and goals several times over after the game was done. The only downside was it was NHL center ice in the U.S. and as a result the MSG network feed. This game is going into the “never delete” category and I will pull it out of the archives whenever I’m looking for some inspiration.

22. tony d says:

Hey Mike don’t feel bad for Brisebois missing the game…. every game he misses just helps the team win.(That’s his contribution)
    I felt bad for Carey…. at the end of the game while they were all huddled on the ice, congratulating one another, he looked like the odd guy out, on the perimeter, trying to reach in to tap guys on the shoulder.
    I think the D hung him out to dry a few times…maybe overconfident that he’d pull off miraculous saves.
    I love Huet, don’t get me wrong….and I think pulling Price was the wise choice…. let’s just not forget that he’s definitely helped us as well to get to this point and should be proud of his effort to date.
    Go Habs Go

23. JB says:

We’ve already made our “trade” -it’s called playin Ryder as we should have been doing all yr.

Great win and loving the chemistry – not much to say that hasn’t already been said.

24. howtathor says:

I hope we keep Ryder for the balance of the season. Who knows what has been unleashed. I agree with him playing with Streit who is so good in the corners and getting him the puck.
    Even if we lose him in the off season, we’ve got Grabs and Pacioretty and D’agostini in Hamilton waiting to carry the torch.

25. howtathor says:

Like your THK jersey!

26. HabsInBlood says:

Maybe I’m budding in here without knowing any context or history with the posters, but what’s wrong with those suggestions? Last night’s game was an example of what’s possible with this team when more than just the Pleks line provides an offensive spark. Having said that, the Koivu line didn’t account for any of the 5 on 5 scoring comeback. Ryder playing with 2 playmakers like the suggestion above is an interesting idea. One of the problems when Ryder plays with Higgins (i.e. the old Koivu line) is that Higgins now likes to have the puck on his stick a lot and his “vision” is definitely not one of his assets. Koivu and S. Kost would both be looking to get Ryder the puck … and they would … and that is when Ryder (and this team) is at its best.

27. Mr.Hazard says:

I got numb after a while… I feel cheated cause it was too amazing for me to fully comprehend it…

Ex nihilo nihil fit

28. krob1000 says:

Did we choke a four goal lead on home ice against the Nashville Predators??? Did we choke a 3-0 lead to the Rangers??? Do things always sort themselves out in the end??? The answer to all those questions is YES.

“Play hard for the entire game and who knows what can happen”
    “It all starts with one”
    “As long as you are still getting chances the puck eventually goes in”
    These are simple statements you hear in hockey circles that get repeated over and over and over and last night was the ultimate example of why.

That was the most entertaining comeback I have ever seen. Yes EVER. Sure there have been better and bigger but not from our Habs. The way it happened made it all the better. Ryder having been dogged all year leading the way. Price getting yanked and still smiling and not letting his confidence rot (very important). Huet making several huge saves when the game could have easily gotten more out of hand. Kovy…..being Kovy (the new Kovy that is). Markov being an absolute force. Komisarek and Begin leading the physical charge (Komi attacking Dubinsky who yapped about him in the papers and Begin after being sat out gives two incredible performances). The crowd in Montreal actually backing their boys when they were down (that cannot be underestimated…..it was a huge factor). Every single guy winning individual battles (puck support was huge). Huet shutting the dorr in a shootout.

These are some of the feel good storylines that helped me conclude that this was the best comebck I have ever seen. Yes Ever!

I was so proud of those guys. I never stopped watching even for a minute because even when we were down guys like Komi, Sergei, Begin and Ryder were still battling. I thought the game was going to turn physical (fights,etc,) instead it turned physical but it was just us beating them to a pulp with bonecrushing hits. Koivu was a monster once energized as well……he didn’t get on the scoresheet (i assist and so winner but you know what I mean) much but it was nice to see the old Saku back winning individual battles with guys twice his size.

These guys are the definition of team toughness…………sacrifice and playing for the guy beside you…..that is what being on a team is all about… I am one proud S.O.B. today.

I just hope the fans at the Bell Centre fully understand how much it meant to those guys to have that kind of support behind them like that…..it was so obvious on television. That folks is what fans are supposed to be like (never mind the few boo birds when we were down…they will never change). With that type of support the sky is the limit…..and the Habs can fly.

29. tony d says:

I love Begin!!!!!!!
    That guy was hitting and hustling from the get go, when his teammates seemed to be intimidated.
    Although many fans gave up after the 1st 5 goals (my son left the room)… I had faith that they would not allow themselves to be humiliated in their own house again.
    Last night I was so happy that I had ordered RDS back in December, worth every penny….I just wish I had been at the Bell centre to witness that emotional high en masse!!
    Although it’s a blustery -20 with the wind-chill outside, the hearts of Habs fans everywhere are on fire today.
    Go Habs Go
    Celine Dion, call Steve Begin and beg him to father your next child!!! (no offense Rene)

30. RGM says:

The second-round pick will be upgraded to a first!

In all seriousness, though, Ryder’s always been clutch down the stretch. I say give him a chance to prove himself, and if he does, give him more than another one-year deal.

See you April 5th at the Bell Centre!

31. RGM says:

“This is beginning to look like a team of destiny.”

I believe I said something to that effect last night after Huet sealed the deal with that stop on Jagr. I still believe it this morning.

See you April 5th at the Bell Centre! — may become “see you in June at the Bell Centre” because there’s no chance in hell this BC product will give it a miss and watch on his TV if his team goes a long, long way.

32. nick says:

I wonder if Bob Gainey is stratching his head this morning thinking, now what?

How do you think this will (if at all) affect moves around the trade deadline?

Personally, i think whats done is done. If Ryder was on the trading block, last night’s performnace isn’t going to change that. It will put his value up though ;)

33. Revolution No. 9 says:

I agree. Koivu is having the same year Kovy had last year. And Higgins, well, I’m starting to think that we should trade him while he’s still so highly rated. I think the A on his jersey stands for Anchor.

34. RS says:

the penalty box timekeeper told Komisarek “I haven’t seen anything like this since the Forum.” Awesome!!!

What ever happened to our supposed home ice disadvantage?

35. Revolution No. 9 says:

Yeah, I think the question is: 25 goals? Not 20.

36. Dan23 says:

There will be no substantive comments from me today. I just want to enjoy the win and this indescribable feeling.

37. Wops says:

Can it be agreed than BÉGIN should never play the wing again!!?

This guy is a monster down the center! Good to have the good ol’Bégin back!

P.S. I’m seeing a rotation with Dandenault & Latendresse for Smokes and Nonstopoulos for the rest of the year.

P.S.2. Brisebois is done for the year unless injuries come by.
    _______________________________________
    CH is for Chris Higgins

38. OldGrover says:

In the TSN Player Rankings, he’s currently rated #18 in centres in the league (and climbing)

39. mjames says:

Actually I kind of like the Ryder, Lapierre, Streit line. If I am Carbo I might ride that for awhile .

mjames

40. Matt_in_TO says:

That’s a great idea.

41. MikeL says:

I’m not going to say a lot, since it has likely been said already. I’d just like to say that I had the same feeling after last nights game as I did 15 years ago this June, when I was only 8 years old, and Desjardins scored the hat-trick in OT to even the series. I can’t even put into words the joy I felt last night.

TSN’s webpage has about 4 or 5 stories related to the Habs after last night. People really feel something special with this team..

42. Rugger says:

mid to high 20′s – he is catching fire

43. Habs-Kat says:

Ryder for 20 goals?

44. Guy21 says:

No need to mock religion….This is a hockey web site.

45. JF says:

You’re right about Plekanec. Those faceoff wins were huge.

46. JF says:

An absolutely awesome game. The fans were unbelievable. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to be there; even on TV the electricity was palpable. I loved Kovalev’s reaction when he scored the tying goal. After the game he said, “It’s unbelievable. The fans have always been great to me. It definitely makes you give more back and I’m trying to play as hard as I can for them. A game like this, we just had to keep playing and you never know what will happen.” That sums up not only Kovalev’s season but also how the team reacted to being down 5-0 last night. When Ryder scored his first goal, you could feel that the fans were starting to believe a turn-around was possible. After that the momentum just kept building.

Huet was great in the shootout. He didn’t go down, didn’t make the first move, didn’t give a lot to shoot at. In the past he used either to freeze or to flop. Can it be that he’s learned how to handle the shootout? He did the same thing in the Atlanta game, which proved to be a huge confidence-builder for him and the team.

I loved Gorges’ play. He’s making far fewer mistakes and showing much greater assurance. He was great late in the third and in the overtime. Some game soon he’ll score; I just know it.

Michael Ryder deserves all the credit in the world for the way he’s handled a nightmare season. I hope Gainey has not arranged a trade; he’s back and we need him.

It was the last Rangers’ game which sent the Canadiens into their three-game slump. The victory last night was so huge that it should have the opposite effect in terms of building confidence and character. The team ought to believe after this that they can do anything. All season we’ve been lamenting their inability to come back when they’re down a goal. This comeback and the one against Jersey a few weeks ago show what our team is made of.

47. J.T. says:

God might love Newfoundlanders, but sometimes he’s got a funny way of showing it. :)

Sure…Komisarek sparked something with his passion, but Ryder held the kindling and coaxed the conflagration to life with his goals. He was the best player on the ice in a phenomenal effort by almost everyone on the team. Take him away from Chris Higgins and he can still do it. I think Carbo hit on something by putting him with Streit.

And I haven’t seen much love for Plekanec’s efforts yet today, but he was absolutely on another level in the third period last night. He won every single big faceoff he took, he drove the Rangers’ zone like a bulldozer and he was deeply involved in creating Kovalev’s goals. He may not be counted as a number one centre by the league’s experts, but he sure looked like one last night.

Destiny? I don’t know. But they sure are a lot of fun to watch.

48. showey47 says:

Remember during the first half of last season when most people thought the problem with the samy,kovy and pleky line was pleky? When it actually turned out to be his linemates. I wonder if the same thing could be said about ryder this season? Saku doesn’t look quite as fast as last season and higgy is the most snakebitten player i’ve ever seen. I think ryder needs to be on a line where he is the only triggerman and last night may of shown it.

Feel bad for price, i don’t know if the team got a little to complacent with his play over the last 3 games with his play and just let the rangers fire at will hoping that price will bail them out.

49. Chuck V. says:

I was thinking of a nice way to say it but you hit the nail on the head JT haha well done

50. MTL LOVE says:

Hah what a game!!Historic come back :)) This team is playing with real fire, not sure we need to change anything on the trade deadline. This is feeling like a dream…1st place, trade talks about Hossa, Tanguay and Sundin. Who knows what will happen next! What a difference this year makes compared to the past.
    WE BELIEVE!!!

51. howtathor says:

I put on my Michael Ryder jersey last night for the third night in a row. I told my gf that we’re on a roll and can’t mess with the mojo. I also hinted that he would score a bunch and that he did! It hasn’t been a easy year to be a Michael Ryder fan. I hear the boos at the Bell Centre and when he’s been a healthy scratch I definitely felt for him.
    I ran into guys who have come all the way from the rock to see their boy play. You can sense the pride in their voice when they speak his name. Last night he did them proud, he broke out and now has 3 goals in the last 2 games. I hope Bob will be wise and let him finish the season with the Habs, but it seems a lot like the Souray situation last where we lost him and got nothing in return.

Wherever this strange hockey road takes you Michael Ryder, we’ll never forget Feb 19, 2008 and the improbable comeback sparked by your two goals.

52. J.T. says:

With all due, respect, Mike…STOP IT! Please! We are not in a position to change the lines. Guy Carbonneau is either a) not reading this or b) not listening to you. You know how badly you want to see those line combinations of yours? That’s how badly I want you to stop posting them.

53. Mike says:

Sergei-Koivu-Ryder
    Andrei-Pleks-Kovalev
    Higgins-LApierre-Latendresse
    Streit-Begin-Kostopolaus

Begin and smolinski can switch after a few games to keep begin fresh

Markov-Komi
    Hammerlik-O’Byrne
    Boullion-Gorges

PLEASE!

54. Blitzen says:

Mike,

Just sent you an email suggesting a thread be started where I/O members could post their encouragements for the team as they drive for the playoffs. Something you might print and give the team. Show them that even fans away from MTL are 100% behind them.

Anyways just a thought.

Thanks for considering it!
    _____________________________________________________
    Jesus Price: the Blocker, the Glove and the Holy Post

55. NLhabsfan says:

Well said Mike.When you look at the minutes that have been allotted to Ryder this season and the BS he has had to put up with….you have to give him high marks.Sounds like a class act.The only sticking point is his UFA status.Who says he doesn’t want to stay in Montreal.He has said to the media down in Newfoundland and everywhere else loves it here.This game is something special and compares up there with other Montreal games I will remember for years to come.

56. projectpete19 says:

i know i noticed in the huddle that price gave ryder a friendly face scrub with his glove and the reaction ryder gave was like he wanted to punch him out. hmm

57. howtathor says:

Right on Mike! I haven’t had that feeling since ’93. I know there is a lot of hockey to be played but….this destiny thing may have wings. When it all comes together it’s a beautiful thing to witness, the team, the fans, the ghosts all pulling together to make it happen. How else can you have 24 Stanley Cups?

58. MikeL says:

They don’t pass Milbury or people like him as hockey geniuses. He is on there for entertainment purposes. Very similiar to Charles Barkley on TNT. They leave the insider stuff to the insiders, and then just let the analysts like Milbury…analyze.

59. JF says:

I think last night gave the team a real taste of what the quest for the Cup is like, with the fans solidly behind them and generating enough electricity to light the Bell Centre, with the momentum building with every good play, with players standing up for each other, refusing to back down, refusing to be beaten. We haven’t seen anything like this in Montreal for a decade and a half, and most of the players have never experienced anything like it. Hopefully they can use the feeling to feed their confidence, determination and passion.

Whenever they have a bad game, we all say, “It’s just a game, time to put it behind us and move on.” But some games are more than “just a game” and more than the 2 points won or lost because they have a lasting effect. The last Rangers game was one. After it, even though they beat Ottawa the next game, you could see that their confidence was down, the intensity was lacking, their play was soft. Last night was also more than “just a game”. The character they showed, the absolute passion with which they played, the way they managed to win faceoffs when it really counted, could fuel a drive that will take us far into the playoffs.

60. frank81 says:

TSN just said that the Flames, Sens, and Leafs were the most active Canadian teams with respect to trade talk. No mention of the Habs, even though they were touted as the most active Canadian team yesterday. I’m pretty sure they’re just tossing out rumours so people will tune into their 10 (TEN!!) hours of trade coverage on Tuesday.

61. Sauril says:

Tanguay is a fantastic player.

I live in Calgary and there’s a Flames fansite that calculated that he’s in the top 5 in 5v5 production over the last 4 years. and playing with crappy linemates at times. He’s struggling this year because of Mike Keenan in my opinion.

That being said, I’d have to agree with the poster above. Who would he pass to? He’s not a finisher.

62. moser17 says:

Vendemeer was worth more until he took a public lesson from Josh Gorges on keeping your head in the play.

63. 9410 says:

He is a talented guy, just not the answer for us. Also I hate this garbage about him being a fit because he’s a Francophone, Pierre Maguire, of all people, being half-Francophone himself, should know better.

64. krob1000 says:

lol I asked my wife to get me one …she is still making fun of me…….something tells me I am not getting one.

65. krob1000 says:

66. mbplekfan says:

my thoughts exactly, that trade was not planned.

67. DD says:

Here in Ontario, they do try and pass Milbury and others, including Gord Stellack, off as experts.

They must send you guys a different show out in the land of the Bluenosers.

As far as I’m concerned they can “Anal-ize This”

68. sidhu says:

Question is what we (the fans) are willing to give up for an impact player after last night’s amazing game. I’m sure many of us feel a special attachment to those players who fought hard last night, including guys like Ryder and Gorges.

Grabovski, Fischer, and a 1st would be my offer for Hossa. I’d then waive Brisebois to make room. That would yield something like:

SK74-Koivu-Hossa
    AK46-Pleks-Kovy
    Higgy-Max-Ryder
    Lats-Begin-Streit

69. Ian G Cobb says:

Hey DD, thanks very much for the T shirt, I show it to people all over the place , it’s great. Only problem is I just can not bring myself to wearing it yet, something about that blue leaf making the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. See ya later friend.

70. moser17 says:

not great. only one brick was purchased from the brick store, which was promptly thrown through the glass window at the front. Everyone waiting outside just swarmed in and took all the bricks they needed.

Ask about pane glass sales tomorrow.

Teach– I think i’ll put,” Dark Side Of The Moon ” on for the occasion, followed by ” Money.!”

72. moser17 says:

Komisarek last night for the journalists = ‘voluble’. Great word. A less great word but equally as well descriptive would be ‘giddy’.

73. Ed says:

Teacher, the lunar eclipse has begun here in St. John’s. We usually don’t get to see these things because of the weather, but it’s beautiful here tonight. The full eclipse should be in effect in 20 minutes, or 11 pm local time. It reminds me of the one I saw in Mississauga several years ago. When a negative poster commented awhile ago about the Canadiens in a very negative way and the next lunar eclipse, you responded that there would be one soon. That convinced me that you must be The Teacher.

74. MikeL says:

Gord Stellick was never on TSN. He was on the Score as their main insider a few years ago, and now he’s basically a backup on Sportsnet. I actually don’t mind him at all. But that’s beside the point.

75. Rugger says:

Thanks for the head’s up. Just set up the telescope (indoors – to damn cold out to set it up right) excellent views. It is an omen – the Habs are back and will be drinking from the cup!

76. Mike Boone says:

I was going to use “giddy”, but to be honest I thought it sounded a bit fey for Komisaurus.

77. The Teacher says:

Glad to hear I’m living up to my name :P

78. The Teacher says:

Very good choices ;)

79. MikeL says:

If I was the NHL, I’d sell copies of the game to cereal companies in the US. An American in South Florida may have a new appreciation for his Corn Puffs, as well as hockey.

80. randmoe says:

Last night reminded me of the 93 run to the cup. The ten consecutive overtime victories. The team knew once the game was in overtime it is a win. This is special. GO Habs GO!!!

81. Will Longlade says:

I believe the CBA allows teams to increase the size of their rosters after the trade deadline. So waiving Brisebois in this situation may not be necessary. BTW, I’m against the idea of the Habs trading for Hossa, even if they are able to negotiate an extension w/him. The medium/long-term financial implications of this move would definitely be adverse and it would likely hamstring the team in the future. I would reather see the team retain it’s ability to resign its core players (i.e. Komi, Pleks, AK47 and Higgins) to long-term deals.

82. MikeL says:

Boone, where did the Sundin blog go? No truth behind it?

83. The Kid says:

Hey Boone why did you take down the Sundin rumour?

For the record, I truly hope it is only a rumour. This team is rolling like clockwork right now and adding one of the most hated rivals to the roster could prove to be disastrous to team chemistry.

84. MikeL says:

I don’t think Sundin is actually hated, it’s more like the Leafs are hated. I actually got pretty excited when I read it, to be honest.

85. nick says:

totally fey for The Komisaurus. Good Call!

86. Will Longlade says:

Does anyone else think that Gainey may be posturing a bit with his statement that the Habs are looking for an “impact player”. He usually keeps his thoughts on matters like this close to the vest. It’s as if part of his strategem is to spook other playoff bound teams in the Eastern Conference into “selling the farm” for a rental prior to the trade deadline.

87. The Kid says:

I do agree with you, when I first about the rumour I was excited, not just because he is a skilled hockey player, but because of the ammunition it would supply me with to chirp the hell out of all leaf fans.

But then I started thinking of that whole “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” mentality.

The reality is that although Sundin is an incredibly talented player, he is in the denouement stage of his career. Even though higgins isn’t having the best of seasons, he is only 24 and will most definitely have a successful hockey career.

As I said before, our boys are really clicking right now, they’ve found their groove and are on a roll. I think a big move like trading for Sundin could really shake things up and prove detrimental to team Karma.

88. showey47 says:

Everything you say is true, but at the same time we are getting next to nothing from the way of offensive production from the koivu line. I think this is an area bob wants to address. We can’t expect streit,lapierre and ryder line to score for us on a consistent basis and if the pleky line goes cold or heaven forbid an injury, we need another line who can contribute. In a perfect world, ryder would still be on the koivu line and have close to 30 goals by now but for some reason he just looked out of place there. Maybe, while ryder is hot it could be a good time to try him there again, this would be a hell of alot cheaper than a trade.

89. Mike says:

I completely agree with you. That was my first opinion also. I wouldn’t be surprsied to see us keep ryder or trade him for a pick and a prospect

90. Bouleau noir says:

Hilarious !

91. originalsix says:

Did anyone record the game? Digital format that could be uploaded to torrent or Youtube like service, I want to see the game start to end. Caught a parts of each period and the shoot out since I was stuck at work, but man, everyone was going nuts!

92. Rogie30 says:

My thinking is that is someone offered something for very little, he would do a deal, my personal opinion is that he may be trying to add a foward that competes similar toa Sean Avery type player, if Avery wasnt such a loose cannon, we may have pursued him last year. Playoffs, about time.

93. Wencz says:

Their play in the 3rd period (after the 3rd goal anyway) reminded me of two things, maybe some others will remember too.

First, the way Calgary played en route to the Cup finals in ’04. They weren’t the most talented team in the league, but they played tough and the played like every shift was their last. It’s easy to build a Red Mile when you have a team playing that with kind of passion and desperation.

Second, the 3rd period of the ’02 Olympic semi-final game where Russia played against the USA. I think the US built-up a 3-0 lead going into the 3rd, and then the Russians came out and played as if their families were being held hostage back home. I’ve NEVER seen a team work that hard, too bad it wasn’t enough (they lost 3-2).

I’m sure there are exceptions, but I really think that if a team WANTS to win, they will. It’s almost that simple. You just have to go out and play your ass off. Hope they keep it up.

94. Dan23 says:

We’re back to the Tanguay for Ryder rumours. Apparently, Gainey gave the media the slip after the GM meetings ended in Naples and Sutter’s denying the whole thing. In other words, this could be a serious possibility.

95. Jonnyboy says:

haha, i am trying to convince a friend to split one.

96. Stefman says:

That certainly seemed out of character to me as well. Unless of course he was being tongue in cheek and meant “impact” as in a checking forward and just wanted to send the media for a loop. That I would believe.

97. Wencz says:

I’m also a bit weary about trading for a stud. I’ve been cheering for THIS team all year, that’s where I’m invested. In addition to the chemistry issues, bringing in a guy like Hossa or Sundin (god forbid) would totally change the identity of this team, and the identity of its players. Playing with fire I think and besides, we’ve shown we’re good enough if we play hard. Maybe just some minor tinkering thanks.

98. Jonnyboy says:

hahaha, i love corn puffs.

99. Wencz says:

Then again, what ever Bob does, I’ll trust he knows what he’s doing.

100. 9410 says:

I don’t know why people keep mentioning him, but after last night, I really don’t see anyway where Tanguay would fit this team, He’s not exactly lighting the lamp, or rolling in the assists, and plays with Iginla on a team with a good top-six forward core. I think hes a quite over-rated, and quite frankly would not like to see him here, because he would not fit? who would you move from the line-up to put him in;
    Andrei K-Plecks-Kovy
    Higgins- Koivu – Sergei K
    Guy-Lapierre-Ryder
    Kostopoulus- Begin/Smoke-Streit/Dandy

I just don’t see where you could put him. Besides, what Tanguay does bring, is not what is needed, We need more of a finisher, not a play maker, we have those in spades. We need a mature, consistent, power Forward, because we lack size up front. Also, his stated desire not to come here just would mess with the very exquisite, but ultimately delicate chemistry, one wrong tweak and it could all change. Remember Forsberg to Nashville?

As of right now:
    Tanguay; 5.375 MIllion, 11G 36A 45P 60GP +12 46 PIM
    Um-uh H-he’s, he’s got as many goals as Ryder. But none as important as our boy got last night. I think I miss him when hes gone.

101. vic says:

I dont believe we need a big trade.This team showed its heart last night
    and we have a lot of young players,lets give them the chance to see where
    we can end up this year.Remember the experts called for 14 th place.
    Lets not break up a winning team..

102. Stefman says:

Not to mention that his 5.375 million is under contract for next year as well and we need that money to give new contracts to AK46, Maxime lapierre, Mark Streit, Ryan O’byrne and Josh Gorges, and perhaps Huet too. Also, we’ll probably want to keep grabs around and maybe Halak too. If we add a 5.375 million contract of tanguay for next year, where’s that money going to come from for everyone else?

103. 9410 says:

Total agreement here, Plus the only real “weakness” is they are a young team, and that bodes well for the future.

104. 9410 says:

True, realistically we would have about 31.8 of a cap hit for 08-09. Id say after the re-uping AK46, Max, Streit, Purses, Booner’s Josh, and maybe Huet were looking realistically at about 48-50, which would levae about 4 million for the rest, worst case scenario.If the cap goes to about 54, We would need to keep about 2 million to be able to swing some deals if need to replace injuries; although depth in the organization is promising, its not immediate help thats available, other than Chip. So fact is, we’ve got a good roster with a hella lot of potential. It ain’t broke, it’s gonna get better. im not sure if making a deal is all that neccesary.

Things could change in the next 6 days, were in for a hell of a fight for the 1st in the East, and the other 3 teams were running with, the Pens, Sens, and Brodeur, could do something which could force Bob to move. I have faith he’ll make the right move, but I don’t see it being something that’s expected, hell pull something off if he feels its worth it. And lets face it, His track record in trades is pretty solid.

105. Stefman says:

Secondary scoring would be nice though. You can’t make it anywhere in the playoffs as a one line team.

106. 9410 says:

I don’t know, I don’t think Mr. Gainey would bother with mind games. He’s not the type to stir the pot. I think he’s being honest, but as always, hes being cautious.

107. 9410 says:

True, I take it you don’t think Koivu and Higgins will click before June?

108. MikeL says:

Getting too high after a big win is no different than wanting to trade everyone away after a big loss.

109. Rogie30 says:

Will we keep the line with Ryder, Lapierre ans Streit together, as Streit may be too small to be a defenseman, and we already have Cube. That line was great, a foward with some toughness around the net wouldnt hurt.

110. Bouleau noir says:

I love that picture…. Huet on stopping Yagger sealed the Canadien’s historical comeback and is lifted in the air by the no longuer ” angry ” Komisarek.

111. Ian G Cobb says:

I just read on Boone’s page that a trade is going down, get this!!!

Matts S to Mtl for Higgins and draft choices.

I can not believe this one, please tell me it is not true. Help!!!

112. Mike says:

I think that the toughness around the net should be higgins. Higgins is very strong on the puck and is hard to get him off it. I really believe he would excel lined up with latendresse and lapierre

113. Mike says:

Is that boones new post????

114. Ian G Cobb says:

Part of the Crosby thread. I’m sure i read it wrong or something. Makes no sense.

115. howtathor says:

If anyone is interested in recording the “game” for posterity, RDS is showing Canadiens Express at 1:30 pm this afternoon.

116. showey47 says:

I really don’t see this happening, everyone has to know that mats is going back to toronto no matter what if he is traded to us or anyone else. The only way this could possibly happen if another player gets thrown in the deal either some of their big contracts that they can’t move alone or maybe a guy like ponikarovsky or antropov. There is no way bob would take mats alone and give away higgins plus draft picks.

117. Morenz7 says:

Mike,

Thanks for making me feel like I’m not the only one o.d.ing on serotonin this morning. My wife had to leave the room after the tying goal because i was dancing like Barbarino on Welcome Back Kotter. The cat hid in the basement all night. People are making fun of me, but crap, who cares. I’ve been waiting my whole life for a game like that!

GO HABS GO!

Ian – i don’t see anything there about Sundin.

The Original 24 Cups

119. showey47 says:

go to the top of the page where it says “posted by Mike Boone at 14h38 EST on Feb 2″ and click on the name mike boone.

120. Ian G Cobb says:

That’s why i just hate rumors about trades, it is all garbage fantasy to hype someones own agenda. I don’t know why Mike even put it to print.?

121. Cable Guy says:

The Habs should sell a copy of this game on on DVD. I sure as hell would buy it.

122. Chuck says:

Bootleg it!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

123. Ian G Cobb says:

Sorry it is under Trade Rumor, not Crosby page.

124. Ian G Cobb says:

Feb. 20—

125. DD says:

Last nights game reminded me of the good old days. We would be trailing going into the third but I was always confident that we could, and would win, no matter what.

Now I’m not saying that we are a shoe-in for the Cup this year, but I think we will turn some heads and cause a lot of headaches for any team we encounter on our road to glory. This team is built for speed and with the Komisaurus, the Hammer, Steve Begin, Kostopolous, LaPierre and O’Byrne throwing their weight around, nobodies calling us ‘soft’ anymore. WE should all be saying “Thank you Mr. Timmins and Mr. Gainey.”

For all this fun we’re having though, the best part about watching this team now, is that we can look at all the $#it the ‘loser leaf’ driven toronto media, (and some of the our own ‘doubting Thomas’s and Bob Gainey/Carbo bashers’) who were posting their negative, loser views about the decline of the Habitant Empire at the beginning of the year, and laugh our asses off at their mindless driven. I hate to say I told you so, but…

God, it feels good to be a Habs fan again! May the Habs be with you.

Ian & Showey – John Gallagher is a long time Toronto sportswriter/broadcaster who is a bit off the wall. He may be saying things to boost his ratings. His sources can’t be up there with Mackenzie’s. I find it incomprehensible that the Leafs would trade Sundin to Montreal.

The Original 24 Cups

127. sidhu says:

I’m still in a state of complete joy from last night’s game. What character our boys showed. Komi is right, each man went to war. I’m sure the game was a tremendous bonding moment for the boys, bonding that they will need as the move forward towards the playoffs.

BG, don’t trade Ryder for Tanguay – they have the same amount of goals, Tanguay is softer, and Tanguay has about $5m left on his contract for next year. More importantly, Ryder is a team guy and Tanguay can’t replace that chemistry in the room.

So what do we need at the deadline? I’d argue that Dandy (regrettably) was the weakest link last night, he was largely invisible. So we could use a RW (which could mean anyone from Hossa to Hunter), or we could get a C (like Gratton) and move Lats to the right side.

I can’t wait for the next game! Go Habs Go!

128. HabsInBlood says:

If we could re-sign Ryder for a reasonable price I would want to keep him. Why in the hell would we want tanguay … we have enough medium-sized playmakers on the team.

129. sidhu says:

And BG should give it to all UFAs.

130. HabsInBlood says:

Think about Kovalev last year.

131. DD says:

I totally agree. There is no way in hell Mr. Gainey will trade a 24 year old, potential 30-40 man, for a 3 month kick at the can.

To tell you the truth, toronto’s their own worst enemy. By simply stating mattsy’s intention of coming back to those losers after he’s done playing hero, where ever he goes, limits the amount teams will be willing to give for him.
    That being said, we must realize that with the little or no movement of players, that has been happening lately in the new, Buttman NHL, the scribes will write anything to sell papers. Even going as far as to say that there are teams out there interested in Ottawa’s insane, jack-ass, 3.5 million nut bar, Emery. Dream On, Janitors.

132. Chuck says:

That’s what Avery gets for sticking it to the crowd after his goal!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

133. The Teacher says:

Wow, what the heck?

The Philadelphia Flyers have made their second trade in as many days, sending defenceman Jim Vandermeer to the Calgary Flames for a 2009 third round pick.

A 3rd pick!!!!???!!!!???

Ryder can get us two firsts then!!!

134. Rogie30 says:

Me neither, would trade for Jokinen, though.

135. Ian G Cobb says:

I am going to go and watch TSN to find out what the hell is going on.

Hey DD

136. The Teacher says:

There is a lunar eclipse tonight, just to let everyone know :)

The eclipse sure fits into the theme considering we eclipsed many records on this site and the Habs did something they had not done in the entire history of their storied franchise.

137. Ed says:

Look at the 9:26 post in Boone’s thread for last night’s game. It was posted this morning & is the last one there right now. It is hilarious.

138. PPQB says:

Bob’s exact words when asked what type of player he was looking for were, verbatim: “an impact player, yep.” We gotta keep in mind though that what Bob might call or think of as an “impact player” may not necessarily be an elite player or superstar. However, people just seem to be assuming that he meant an elite player or superstar. Personally I think he will make a move, but it will be something out of left field, expected or anticipated by no one, and one that will ultimately help the team in the now and in the future without too much disruption to the fabulous chemistry that has been building this season. Chemistry…1 of 2 reasons for last night’s miraculous comeback. The other reason, of course, was the Bell Center crowd. The city should be proud after that one.

139. DD says:

Hey Ian

That was a hell of a roller coaster ride last night, eh. Just like the old days.
    I’m looking forward to the Hamilton jaunt, make sure you keep me in the loop.

BTW Don’t believe a word TSN says, remember this is the loser/leaf station that tries to pass of pinheads like Mike Milbury as a hockey geniuses. It might work with leaf fans, but I’m not buying their $#it.

140. sidhu says:

Wonder how brick sales are going today?

141. Cable Guy says:

Last night was a perfect example of why I LOVE this team.

142. Odie Cleghorn says:

Great job boys and way to go Michael Ryder-with the same initials as the Rocket and a release to match, may you enjoy many more night like this to come. Mr. Gainey you don’t need an impact palyer, you’ve got an impact team!!

143. lemess says:

…and nobody is talking about that winner by the Captain in the shootout – Lundquist’s shorts flew into the eighth row. Whatever happens, this team is worth the price of admission…. To Mr. Gainey and Mr. Gillette, thank you.

144. Mike Boone says:

Hey, people:
    Record number of Comments for About Last Night …
    Thanks. Guess I won’t get fired this week.
    Love you all

145. moser17 says:

It’s a record-setting time, MB.

Plus, if your job depends on getting comments, I think you’ve got fairly high job security. :)

146. jew4jah says:

mike,
    you’re a regular part of my day.
    so really, thank you

147. jimstr says:

thanks to you mr boone

148. howtathor says:

Way to go Mike! Your a lightning rod! Habs lightning that is!

149. Chuck says:

Mike, just imagine the number of comments you’ll get in June during the final!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

150. Dana says:

God, now I’m curious. What *did* Sean Avery say?

151. Blitzen says:

Whatever he said prolly doesn’t taste as good on the way back down.

_____________________________________________________
    Jesus Price: the Blocker, the Glove and the Holy Post

152. Mike says:

Amazing game, The turning point was 100% when komi took the 2 penalties. He basically told everyone, teamates, fans and rangers, listen this is my team, and iu will do anythi9ng for them, this game is not over and i will die before i let my team give up. Secondly, carbo can we please, please please use the best possible lineup that we have:

Sergei-Koivu-Ryder
    Andrei-Pleks-Kovalev
    Higgins-LApierre-Latendresse
    Streit-Begin-Kostopolaus

Markov-Komi
    Hammerlik-O’Byrne
    Boullion-Gorges

153. Ed says:

Mike, what is going on? You are praising Michael Ryder! It’s about time you came around. You are right, we have to give him credit for the way he has handled himself this year. He has been maligned by both fans and the media, and the worst part for him must have been the constant booing by the fans at the Bell Centre. One game, even when he was a healthy scratch, the fans booed his name in the pregame introductions. Here’s hoping his scoring touch with Montreal is back to stay, even with the reduced ice time. I wish him well wherever he goes, and I have a feeling he will be in a Bruins jersey next year, with his favourite coach, Claude Julien.

I think that Komisarek sparked the comeback with his tough play, and Begin was amazing with all those hits. Komisarek was the spark that caused the Canadiens to explode.

I wonder what would have happened to Ryder and Begin for the next game, if the Habs had lost. Then again, Ryder might be traded by the next game. If he is, I have a feeling it will not be good for the team chemistry.

154. sag says:

What a game! Even at 5-0 my wife didn’t bug me to change the channel! Even she has faith in this team…unlike some posters who said they were switching to different games – feel sorry for y’all! Ya missed an unbelievable comeback!
    Anyone else wish Price was left in to reap the confidence reward of the comeback?? Can’t argue with the play of Huet though (may even have shed the shootout monkey!)

Bring on the Pens!

155. Blitzen says:

No I think putting Huet in was the right move. Price’s shoulders sagged after the third goal. Price picked up Huet after he had a couple of bad games and now Huet is picking him up.

This is a team boys….
    _____________________________________________________
    Jesus Price: the Blocker, the Glove and the Holy Post

156. Chuck says:

Changing over to Huet was the kick in the butt that the team needed. It was Carbo’s way of calling a timeout (without actually calling one) and saying to the, “Get your crap together!”

Before Huet came in, the Rangers were buzzing around the Habs zone; we weren’t finishing checks and our defensive zone coverage sucked. On the first three Ranger goals their shooters were completely unmolested. If you’ve ever watched an all-star game, you know what that leads to, regardless of how good the goalie is.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

157. Mike says:

Haha, i love how every jumped back on the ryder bandwagon. I have been posting these same lines for about 2-3 months now, every since sergei was called up.

158. moser17 says:

From TSN.ca:

Even The Flower, who’s made his fair share of critiques with this year’s squad, was impressed.
    “I was at a meeting last night and when I got out it was 5-0 for the Rangers and when I got back home it was 5-3,” Lafleur said Wednesday. “When I saw it was 5-0 I thought, ‘We’re really gonna get beat badly tonight.’ When I got home I saw that the guys really got together and came back and won the game.”

Now, unless they mean Lafleur said he was impressed in a sentence they didn’t quote, I have to say, nothing he says here sounds overly “impressed”, except that he notes “the guys really got together”.

But he’s certainly gotta be pleased with himself for helping to light a fire under the boys with his comments earlier in the season.

159. Chuck says:

Absolutely. The team definitely played better in front of Huet, but that’s how the puck bounces.

When Price met Huet skating off the ice, you could almost see the smile on his face saying, “OK, your turn!”

The goalie change was definitely a kick in the team’s ass. All three of the goals scored against Price were by Rangers that were completely unmolested, completeley unchecked. The goalie change was a way for Carbo to get his point across without having to waste a time out.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

160. The Teacher says:

Bob McKenzie

2/20/2008 8:09:49 PM

With six days to go until the NHL’s trade deadline, there’s an interesting story developing with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The word on the street from rival general managers around the league is that Lightning GM Jay Feaster is in a situation where he’s being told by potential team owner Oren Koules to find out what he could get for veteran forward Brad Richards.

161. Rogie30 says:

Think I heard that two days ago.

162. showey47 says:

Dogs winning 3-1 after 2 periods locke has 2 helpers and grabovski has another goal and a helper, i’m gonna guess that grabovski is a player being used as trade bait.

163. MikeL says:

I’m gonna guess that is a good guess.

164. showey47 says:

make that 4-1 and assits both to locke and grabovski, 3 points each. Does anyone think we should give grabovski one more look before we trade him?

Pittsburg in less than 24 hr. Time to pull ahead of Ottawa with two more points. Wonder who is between the pipes.?

166. showey47 says:

I would guess huet, he let a couple in also but in the end he got the win and was strong in the shootout. I feel bad for the kid though, he was left hung out to dry. If the habs had played the first half the same way they played the last price would of been getting his 5th straight start.

167. 1010 says:

Can’t stop thinking about last night. To me, it looked like Markov was in another dimension in the third period. I can’t remember the last time a Habs D man looked that dominating.

GO HABS.

168. rbt259 says:

Check out this video of Kovi from the latest Canadiens magazine. We have yet to see the true talent this guy possesses. It’s amazing what he can do with the puck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI7KeY-DmNU

169. Chris says:

The goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not just the first round of the playoffs. You have to beat everybody to do that, so aiming for 6th is not necessarily a great strategy…teams that deliberately tank often get spanked by the Karma Police.

170. ebk says:

It will be a fun next six weeks and hopefully a good April and May are on the way as well. I’ve used my quota of words for the day, chat with you later 24

171. MikeL says:

I heard Sportsnet is looking for another insider…

172. Rogie30 says:

Thanks Mike, glad to be a part of history.

173. Mike Boone says:

Way tougher and more physical, but Chelios didn’t have Markov’s skating or playmaking abilities.

174. Ed says:

Imagine if Markov could play as long as Chelios has.

175. ebk says:

you could tell watching Chelios play with the Moose Jaw Canucks that he was going to be something special.

176. RS says:

Yes, but Chelios did score over 70 points in a season three times in his career. Don’t forget that he used to be a pretty good offensive D.

177. Chuck says:

And for the same team (ours, of course!) too!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

178. tony d says:

can I sleep with your wife tonight?
    can’t remember the last time I slept with a smile
    (nudge nudge)

179. Will Longlade says:

You’re so right. That move would be almost sac religious IMO and would set the team up to be in exactly the same position as the Laffs in 3-5 years.

180. RetroMikey says:

About the game last night….simply awesome!!!!!! I slept with a smile last night according to my wife…:)

Obtaining Sundin……Nooooooooooooo way!!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain’t so Bob, say it ain’t so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“We will win the Cup only with Carey Price in the nets”

181. Rugger says:

Agreed, we don’t need Sundin to come in – put in a half hearted spring and slink back to Toronto with our picks and prospects.

182. howtathor says:

What a day! The calm after the storm! I think I watched the game three times on tape today just to remind me that it was real. Total eclipse what a gas! Two forces of nature in two nights, not bad!

183. Chorske says:

Coolest thing ever, lads. I’m in upstate NY watching the moon. It’s kind of a blood-orange peach kind of colour. I’m feezing my arse off but it’s worth the spectacle.

Hope you can all see this, wherever you are.

184. Rugger says:

it is a wonder to see.

185. Les-Habitants says:

I honestly thought I had already seen the game of the year. Thought it happened in New Jersey, rallying from 3-1 in the third to beat Martin F. Brodeur…I thought, wow, that’s amazing. Nothing can beat that.

Wow
    Umm, wow. 5-0?? No biggie. My god, my roommate got to go to the game…I just watched it on T.V.
    The bar exploded, I can only imagine what the Bell Centre was like.

Game of the Century.

186. DD says:

Lee

You look better with your hair parted that way.

187. MikeL says:

Why is there no Puckcast?

188. Chorske says:

Hey, I had a quick scroll through the comments and I didn’t see anyone ask this, so:

Can anyone tell me what was the greatest comeback victory ever? Hockey first, than any other sport.

189. The Teacher says:

Greatest or most lopsided score comeback?

Not one and the same ;)

190. Chorske says:

I meant, when losing by the most lopsided score. But ‘greatest’ would be good too.

191. The Teacher says:

Wow the Habs being talked about by Lloyd Robertson. This hasn’t happened for a long while

192. Chuck says:

Sweet pic, Teach!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

193. The Teacher says:

Haha, thanks. It’s all about the TEAM!

Anybody come down yet?

194. jew4jah says:

for anyone who loves kovalev & hates tucker. this is a beaut eh!

also, anyone know what’s wrong with the puckcast?

195. Lee Hayes says:

“These people trailed by four touchdowns at Stalingrad”, made me spray pop out my nose. Very erudite commentary Mr.Boone, the never say die, nay the, ‘come back you coward I’ll bite your bloody head off’ attitude might easily be attributed to the Russian/Belorussian contingent.

I make it a habit to watch games all the way through, no matter how bad it gets…last night I was rewarded me with the most incredible sports rush( just short of a Stanley Cup in my opinion ). I talked about it all day…good thing the Canucks won in OT, otherwise I’m sure my audience would have been less indulgent.

Go Habs Go

196. sidhu says:

Anyone know the name of the song that sometime plays when the Habs are up in the third —

It starts at the 34 second mark in this clip:

Many thanks!

(Btw, why doesn’t the Bell Center feature the old blue sides to the boards?)

197. sidhu says:

Haha, not me – it’s a great day to be a Habs fan!

198. borchate says:

Ok everyone, Hossa is coming to montreal..cyberpresse is reporting that equipement and jerseys for hossa have been ordered in the evening so that it would be ready for tomorrow’s game !!!!!!!!!

a-w-e-s-o-m-e

199. Chuck says:

I believe that it’s a league rule that those boards must now be painted yellow. In fact, at the end they were painted yellow at the Forum, too. It just didn’t look right to me…

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

200. Chuck says:

This game will go down as one of the most memorable in the team’s history. Too many men on the ice? Everyone will remember where they were for this one, too!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

201. sidhu says:

Any thoughts on Havlat as being the “impact player” BG wants to bring on board? He’s signed through next year at $6m per. Chicago will be sellers and Havlat has flown under the radar as potential targets. Perhaps BG is talking openly about seeking an “impact player” so the stakes rise for Hossa and others, but knowing BG he could be up to something less flashy, i.e., Havlat.

202. The Teacher says:

What the hell?

Mathias Brunet

La Presse

Rien ne nous permet pour l’instant de confirmer qu’une transaction entre le Canadien et les Thrashers d’Atlanta est conclue, mais La Presse a appris, hier, qu’on avait commandé de l’équipement aux couleurs de la formation montréalaise pour l’attaquant vedette de 29 ans, Marian Hossa.

for ryder and Streit apparently

203. Y says:

Noooooooo………………………….

204. Dingwell says:

long time lurker, one of my first times posting

ok i have no idea where to write this so i’ll write it here i spose since Booner’s blog is the most visited..

what does everyone think of Grabovski getting traded at the deadline..
    if he isn’t.. where does he fit in to the time in the coming season as i don’t think there will be room for him next year.
    if he is, what do we get for him, package him for hossa or for another impact player?

since returning from injury, he’s been on a tear…
    in 8 games, he’s gotten 17 points. In the last five games he’s gotten 4,2,4,3,3 pts in consecutive games.

does bob or don’t bob?

205. The Teacher says:

OH GOD

if streit is gone

THIS IS DISGUSTING…we all know who’s back in…

gulp….

206. likehoy says:

is this even true?! streit and ryder?!

not too bad actually…UFA swap…

207. doug says:

no – he’s only playing d on the power play. that’s the issue for streit. otherwise he’s been playing forward.

208. doug says:

agree; i’d miss streit but he’s going to command big bucks. my only concern is our power play. hossa would need to kick it up a gear and help create a second scoring line: he’s had a down year for him.

but as much as i like both ryder and streit – this is definitely a fair deal. . . and we’re not mortgaging the future, just some guys we like (and i’m likely in the minority in liking both, and had resigned to losing ryder before last night’s monster performance)

209. likehoy says:

it’s true i didn’t even think of our PP taking a big hit..but as of late streit hasn’t figured in many goals from the point. Maybe BG and Carbo feel sergei kostitsyn and maybe kovalev can man the point with hossa or andrei manning the side boards.

210. doug says:

i really think it’s just a rumor. nothing more, nothing less. streit has about 10 less points than hossa this year, though. . . makes you think.

if you look through the web right now you’ll find rumors of habs deals – some from reasonable sources – for brad richards, mats sundin, martin havlat, marian hossa, alex tanguae, etc. the return often includes higgins. . . sometimes goes downright crazy. i think people are making stuff up – i really do.

211. likehoy says:

that’s true…my friend also pointed out that they said equipment colour…some teams could have the red white and blue as well like the caps, BJs, rangers…

the difference is streit isn’t an impact player. He’s a complementary player and won’t score points on his own. Hossa can score points on his own even when he isn’t on his game, and he’s playing for a mediocre atlanta team with no playmakers or scoring centres so to speak.

212. doug says:

agree – although last year he had 100 points and the year before that 90 something.

did article say they were making jersey in atlanta? didn’t read it that closely and perhaps i missed subtleties since i’m not bilingual

213. doug says:

ok – just read it again. to me, the most concerning part is that what we’re offering in return is pure speculation. . . could certainly be higgins instead of streit, etc. the part about murray wilson suggesting the habs had obtained the rights to speak to him about a contract extension, on the other hand, at least makes me think gainey’s not just thinking short-term. he wants a repeat of the kovalev deal he pulled off before.

214. likehoy says:

no it just said that an equipment company received an order from Hossa for equipment in montreal colours (maybe a prank call??) and that there’s no concrete information saying it’s true…it’s happened before that we’ve made equipment for players for deals that never materialized…

the year he got 90 i think marc savard was on the team…last year he was on a tear for the whole year…atlanta actually made the playoffs! then they got tkachuk to centre hossa or kovy and that worked out for them. but he’s still talented nonetheless.

i can’t go to bed without knowing the truth! i’m dying for TSN (bobby mac) to post another article saying NO! the rumours are not true! or the rumours are true!! (for a change).

215. likehoy says:

ya but bobby mac wrote an article saying that gainey has no right to talk to the agent…according to don waddell…and don waddell has denied all rumours thus far.

216. doug says:

ok, thanks much, likehoy. it’s all b.s. let’s go to sleep and wake up tomorrow to read about who we’re giving up for lecavalier. thanks again, my friend.

217. doug says:

thx; i simply can’t go to bed! this is nuts. not even playoffs and i have to get up with my kids in 5 hours!

so. . . speaking of tsn. . . the poll on hockey page is “what is the most exciting habs game in recent memory”?

4 choices dating back to 1975. this one won with 41%. don’t agree, but suggests the whole country is (finally) watching us.

218. bigjames says:

total off topic side-bar: did anyone notice that the flyers traded vandermeer to calgary? vandermeer was the guy who stopped playing and allowed cube to skate down the ice unimpeeded and score the other night. wonder if the sudden trade was a result of that….

219. likehoy says:

haha i didn’t even catch any of those games so i didn’t vote…wouldn’t be fair!

220. Bouleau noir says:

I agree with you Hayes about Mr.Boone and I couldn’t ask for a better connection with my Habs than the one I am getting throught the Boone blog,… I have other favorites like Dany Dube, Ron Fournier and Jack Todd but for me Mr.Boone summed them up and then some,.. a franchise player,..
    no doubts.

221. borchate says:

i dont think we really need mark “ the swiss knife “streit on the powerplay that much..gorges / hamrlik/o’byrne sure can pass…kovy and markov will take care of the rest…hey if the loss of Souray didn’t affect our powerplay, if don’t think the loss of streit wil.besides..Hossa on the powerplay with markov,kovy+pleky….mmmmmmmmm

222. Bouleau noir says:

Bob have been targeting all those names that you have mentioned,… it hasn’t been made-up,.. not this time.

223. Bouleau noir says:

Sergei as been warming up to that position lately,… no problem.

224. Y says:

Well it says in the story that back in the day there was equipment prepared for both Khabibulin and Aucoin on the thought they would be coming to Montreal in exchange for Ribeiro, Dagenais, and Theodore but it was squashed at the last minute, so until I see something official I going to take this with a grain of salt.

225. Bouleau noir says:

A fair deal ? I would say a fantastic deal for us…. if its true.

226. doug says:

i agree, pierre. just not sure if it’s true and i’m a bit worried about what we might really have to give in return. higgins has frustrated me this year but i think he’s a keeper. if it really is for streit, ryder, and a draft pick, it’s a great deal.

227. doug says:

always a chance for a last minute offer from someone else. but if it’s legitimately on the table i’m excited. . . assuming the price isn’t higher than reported.

228. doug says:

not saying fully made up; just saying we don’t have any idea what it will eventually end up being.

229. Rogie30 says:

Do you realize how good a trade that would be, and if it happens, Bob may not be done.

230. Trashknob says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – Hossa is coming to Montreal.

TSN has him on our team already:

NOT – still it’s fun to dream and besides – it’s happening.

go nuts – hehe ;)

=========================================================================
    I got 40 to 1 odds they’d make it to the cup final at the beginning of the season. WHO’S LAUGHING NOW??? KO HABS KO!!

231. RS says:

He has potential as a player, but therefore also attractive to other teams as trade bait. I agree that it’s hard to find a spot for him on the current roster. He could be dealt.

232. Richard B says:

Streit is the man,
    big mistake to trade him.

233. Will Longlade says:

Definitely. IMO, the guys a keeper.

234. RS says:

16 points in the last five games for Grabovski. While the guy has obvious talent, he might be the kind of player the Habs could part with if the right deal came along. Unfortunately, you have to give up something to get something in return. And the Habs do have a fair number of small talented forwards. It doesn’t make sense to trade Higgins.

Still, is is fun to imagine a line comprised of the Kots brothers and Grabovski a few years down the line!

235. Will Longlade says:

Sorry, I’m too young to be married.

236. Chuck says:

Got it here in Milton, Ontario, too!

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

(Mike Boone – Thanks for the Dylan lyrics last night – one of my favourites)
    Chemistry, momentum, confidence, potentiality – these are all intangibles that can’t be taught or practised. I’m not even sure how they come about for certain teams or players – but they are elusive and don’t happen every day. Right now, for whatever reason, our Habs are displaying all of these intangibles. It’s a great feeling but also a delicate balancing act – Carbo and Gainey will have to be very careful during the next few days to make sure they don’t disrupt this special spell that the team seems to be under. Ultimately, these intangibles may be more important than grit, faceoffs, or powerplays.

We have two games left to the trade deadline next Tuesday. Pittsburgh on Thursday (another inter-conference thriller) and a Saturday game with Columbus (ending an exhaustive 5 game road trip). The results of either of those two games will have little impact on what Gainey will decide to do. Even though it would be nice to get something for our two UFAs, it would also probably destroy the intangibles that the team has built up over the past few months. Thankfully, Gainey seems to have the perfect disposition to handle this stressful week of decision making. It’s no longer about winning the Cup in the near future – we’re knocking on heaven’s door right now.

The Original 24 Cups

238. ebk says:

they sure are soon to be 25 Cups, they sure are.

And Gainey realizes it to. He is looking for a impact player to bolster the team.

239. Rogie30 says:

Jokinen, or someone with some toughness.

240. ebk says:

32 minutes of absolutely unbelievable hockey overshadowed 28 minutes of crap. Down 5-0, down to their last breath, Michael Ryder applied the paddles and brought this team back to life. Biggest comeback, at least numerically, in the Montreal Canadiens history.

It was really fitting that the comeback was lead by Michael Ryder. His career as a Hab looked to be on life support, maybe this will be the catalyst that keeps him in the Red,White and Blue. I hope so. Always liked him as a hockey player and like him even more as a person because of the way he has handled the BS dumped on him. This game alone proves that he needs to be in the lineup every night. He has been, in my opinion, unfairly singled out at times by his coach. He is still easily in the top six or seven forwards on this team. He has 8 goals in his last 20 starts. The people who replace him don’t have 8 goals all season, even combined. Let the Big Newfounlander play.

Max Lapierre was called up in early December and since then the Canadiens have been an outstanding 20-9-5. He has helped settle down the teams struggling PK but more importantly, he has given the team a 3rd line Center. Lapierre doesn’t have much offense to his game but he brings what this team needs. He is one of the team’s best defensive forwards and he is a huge pain in the butt to play against. His plus/minus is 4th on the team, the Habs other supposed defensive forwards are -12,-8 and -6.

For a player with limited offensive ability, his line has lead the charge in two huge comebacks this year. Last night and against Washington. Good things happen when Madd Max is on the ice.

Today the Habs sit at 75 points, traditionally 93 points would assure a team the 8th seed. With 21 games to go the Habs sit 18 points away.

The below is the team’s record with each player in the lineup.
    Lapierre 20-9-5
    Ryder 26-17-8
    Gorges 24-11-6
    Kostitsyn, S 19-8-4
    O’ Byrne 10-4-2

241. ZepFan2 says:

“Always liked him as a hockey player and like him even more as a person because of the way he has handled the BS dumped on him.”

Well said! I couldn’t agree more.

Alex Tanguay…I’ll pass thank you very much.

242. Ed says:

I agree with you on Lapierre. He is a great skater, and has been going all out lately. The analysis of the team’s record with the young players in the lineup is very encouraging. The players I am referring to are the 4 other than Ryder. You would think that having young, inexperienced players in the lineup would hurt the team’s play. Obviously, our young players are a tremendous help to the team. Very encouraging!

ebk – even being conservative, a point a game from here on in would give us 96. If we can’t finish 1st then let’s finish 6th and play the SE champ. (I don’t have the paper here but I believe we are still behind Jersey and Pittsburgh in the win column)

The Original 24 Cups

244. JB says:

Just one more thing – I know we’re all pumped – but lets not overlook that big win in NJ down 3-1 in the 3rd. I don’t think last nite was possible without that win.

Everything is pointing to success going forward. Now the question will be – can Carbo keep his hands off the lines?

245. 9410 says:

The only thing I can say about what I saw last night was that; I believe. I believe in what this team is becoming, and that the dreadful corner has actually been turned, this team has IT, that in-explicable quality that separates winners and losers. Something this season has finally occurred, and while yes, they are not a juggernaut, they are a damn strong team. Last night showed, if only by virtue of comparisons to teams from the glory days of the 70′s, that the 2007-2008 Version is for real.
    They have the toughness, and they have the desire, and will, but most importantly for the first time in a long, disappointing decade, they are a team, and that makes the biggest difference. I think this is the beginning of a new time for the Canadiens, because quite frankly, I still can’t get over The Game. I don’t I will. I will forever Remember where I was when Kovy showed the entire Phonebooth his hind parts in celebration.

246. TommyB says:

“They have the toughness, and they have the desire, and will, but most importantly for the first time in a long, disappointing decade, they are a team, and that makes the biggest difference.”

Well posted! I think you have it dead on it with the above quote.

247. krob1000 says:

yep!!! Careful though it is some how negative suggesting that our time is ready sooner than later. Noone else agrees that we can make a run this year.

248. ebk says:

I was not one who thought earlier in the season, this team would be this good. The Free Agents added were all(except Hamrlik) pretty suspect and I thought the Kiddie Corps was not quite ready for prime-time. I was right about the FA, wrong about the kids. Without the Kiddie Corps, this team would be nowhere near this good.

In December, Kostitsyn II, Lapierre and O’ Bryne were added. Kostitsyn I, Plekanec and Komisarek arrived as top flight NHL players. The second wave of the Kiddie Corps has added the quality depth that the team needed to step in the upper-tier of the NHL. They are there now and Gainey knows it. He will try his best not to waste this opportunity. That is why he is trying to add a impact player (his words).

Adding Hossa or another Impact player, without giving up the core of youngsters here in Montreal right now, could propel the team towards a cup run this season. Again, Gainey knows it and will do his best to make it happen. If the deal makes sense, he will pull the trigger.

Josh Gorges deserves a mention as well. I do have a feeling that this youngster may be on the move by Tuesday, but his contribution has been outstanding as well

249. Sags says:

A turning point win? Man I hope so, but I thought the same after the comeback vs. NJ. Still not a fan of LaPierre or Smolinski. I’d rather see Chipchura. Hopefully this team takes off. How will this win effect Gainey’s trade options? Unless it’s Sundin, Jokinen or Tanguay(provided he wants to wear the bleu blanc rouge), I wouldn’t make a deal.

250. HabsInBlood says:

I don’t see the fit with Tanguay … we need more finishers, not playmakers.

251. Sbah Reverof says:

Just heard Bob McKenzie on TSN state that Habs, among others, are in the running for the Sundin sweepstakes. Leaf fans, rejoice! Sundin might finally be on a quality team…just not yours.

252. nick says:

i mentioned that last night (heard it from another source first) and was told to stop using drugs.

Thanks for the support ;)

My problem with the Sundin right now is that it’s extremely probable he will
    be back with the leafs next year once his ‘rent’ is up. With that said, Leafs are going to want something good in return. So unless Sundin is going to be around for more than the remainder of the season, it’s kinda like shooting ourselves in the foot.

SR – I wonder what the real story is with Sundin and this game of possum that is being played with his no trade contract. Is he really adamant about not moving or is this a behind the scenes charade that has been worked out with Fletcher and the Laff ownership. Either way, I think he would still be strictly a rental – the best one out there by far.

The Original 24 Cups

254. likehoy says:

The only reason I wouldn’t trade for sundin…is cause I wouldn’t want to give the laffs anything. I would HATE to see any of our prospects or players go to the laffs then torment us for years to come. Imagine if Grabs or Ryder formed a decent laffs nation!? HELL NO!!

255. cautiousoptimist says:

Gainey really doesn’t seem like the kind of GM who trades away future greatness for a two-month rental. I trust him not to squander our future to tinker with a team that frankly doesn’t look like it’s missing any pieces.

Defence? We’re solid.

Goaltending? Sitting pretty.

Scoring? We’re third in the league in goals for!

Even our spare parts are pretty darn good for spare parts.

Unless GMs are lining up to send us a good player with more than two months left on his contract in exchange for Dandy, Kostopoulos and a pick, let’s go for it. Otherwise, what more could we want?

256. Sbah Reverof says:

I’m a little confused, too, 24; a lot of mixed messages are being sent. Maybe he intends to only be rented out for the remainder of the season. Nonetheless, he would be an excellent acquisition for most teams.
    Our current situation has us pondering team chemistry as much as the need for a specific role to be filled, so I’m not sold on Sundin being a good fit for Mtl, even though we do need someone like him.

257. projectpete19 says:

I dont know Sunding personally but he strikes me as a person who will say to the leafs, either you keep me or i am gone for good. I dont think he would want to screw over a team by having them trade for him and then leave them a couple months later, nor would he want to win a cup on a team he just joined for the playoffs, he would want to win with a team he was actually a part of building the success

258. likehoy says:

man…i skipped the game last night…down 5-0 when i got home from work i didn’t bother getting my hopes high since i watched the whole sens demolishing losing 6-1…but when my brother told me that ryder potted in two…i knew the comeback started…I was already half-way out of my house. I had a gut-feeling that we’d manage to turn this into an epic comeback.

can’t help but feel good for Ryder…and I see that half the posters have withdrawn their trade offers…and the other half have hoped the value has gone up.

If Ryder’s the real deal, I don’t see a good trade in the market unless Ollie Jokinen or Marian Hossa are part of it. Ryder is a pure-goal scorer when he’s on his game and clutch goal-scoring is what we need heading into the playoffs. Ideally, we use mikhail grabovski as trade bait. I know he’s on fire lately…which raises his trade value…but would you really want plekanec/grabovski to be our scoring centres of the future with an average height of 5-10 :P. Koivu may be small too but he packs some grit and he won’t be around much longer (at 33…i say 1 more contract and he’s done). Koivu unlike Grabs, has little to no trade value at this stage for name players, he’d only yield draft picks and prospects…which isn’t what we need heading into the playoffs.

At any rate, a strong shut down centre like Holik or Gratton would help us out…a shut down line of smokes gratton begin would be decent…Stoll is a better two-way player…but his shut-down ability isn’t as seasoned as the formers…maybe we can find out if chipper’s ready for brilliance before we do anything.

259. Chorske says:

Poor Price was cannon fodder out there. I really don’t think he should blame himself too much for the last two goals. The Habs were soft and the shot margin showed it.

I really hope that what they say about the kid is true- that he is disciplined and solid mentally- because he’s gonna need those attributes playing goal for this incredible rollercoasterish team. Most goalies are only at their best when they get a bit older- here’s hoping he doesn’t get too frazzled by these early experiences.

260. cautiousoptimist says:

“This is beginning to look like a team of destiny.”

“The prospect of late May/early June hockey in Magic City is no longer preposterous.”

Preach it brother Boone!!!