About last night …

Given the situation – Leafs in town, six straight losses at home – it was the Canadiens’ best game of the year.

Everything worked. If I were grading the Canadiens’ effort:

Goaltending: A- (only because the Devereaux goal was a softie)

Defence: A … and that most definitely includes Ryan O’Byrne and my man Josh Gorges, who held his own against the physical Leafs and made some precise outlet passes.

Forwards: A+ Keyed by the Captain and Christopher Higgins, who’ve been re-energized by the addition of Sergei Kostitsyn, all four lines contributed to a solid effort at both ends of the ice. There were sequences when the Leafs just could not touch the puck in their own end. If that cycling-down-low game keeps up, the fans have to learn to chant "The wheels on the bus go round and round …"

Special Teams: B- for the power play, which went 0-for-3 and A for the PK because Toronto went 0-for-3

Coaching: A At one time or other, Guy Carbonneau used each of his four centres against Mats Sundin, and the big (talented) lug was kept off the scoresheet. Despite some no-calls that had the Bell Centre faithful howling with rage, Carbo was smart enough to realize his team was controlling the game and there was no point ragging the refs – least of a rabbit ears like Kerry Fraser.

Fans: F- Throwing beer from $150 seats unto the Leafs’ bench? Totally uncool, totally unMontreal, totally idiotic. C’mon guys! What is this, Philadelphia?

Would it be immodest to point out that that the Boone Reverse Jinx was a perfect 2-0 this week? I predicted wins by the Flyers and Leafs, prognostication that made sense on paper.

But the game isn’t played on paper (and if it were, Hal Gill would be an ink blot.)

I admit it: a week ago, I wanted to fire Carbo and trade half the team. But the league is wacky this season. With the exception of Detroit, every NHL team is vulnerable to slumps.

The Canadiens’ swoon came early. And while they’re not out of the woods yet, the team is sitting fifth in the Eastern Conference and has played 120 minutes of excellent, disciplined hockey.

And they’re young. Half of these guys would get carded in an Ontario bar. They make mistakes, but when the Kiddie Corps is on, as they were against the Leafs last night, it’s a sight to behold. The Bell Centre cognoscenti love the kids. It’s wonderful to hear applause for the subtle, Hockey 101 skills of Kyle Chipchura.

I wonder if Bob Gainey will make a move before the holiday trade freeze kicks in. There’s less urgency than there was last week, but the play of Sergei K., Ryan O’Byrne and Josh Gorges makes for some dicey personnel decisions as players come off the IR list.

Anyway, these are good problems to have.

Florida on Tuesday night. I don’t know that I can invoke the Boone Reverse Jinx without turning it into a joke.

1. Grabbed The Cup says:

Yes yes the evil summiteers, what a load of crap that was, and obviously not completely put to bed… Seriously though you missed quite a show this morning, although I could have put him over the edge completely with simple Nelson Muntz haha, I declined as it was just too easy.

2. showey47 says:

his no-movment clause hopefully means no-movement from the pressbox as well

3. ebk says:

With all due respect, I couldn’t disagree with what you say anymore than I do
    It was a cowardly brutal attack from behind that resulted in severe injuries to the other player. He may be a great guy but it doesn’t change the facts of what he did or the result.

4. Yeats says:

Gosh, I didn’t see any of that stuff, but pickup was cancelled because of the weather and I decided to sleep in. All manner of evils were planned at the Summit: the Kennedy assassinations, a Latin American coup d’état or two and a conspiracy to push the Canadian dollar up to $C1.00/$2.00 to destroy their export industies. Frankly, it made The Axis of Evil look like a bunch of cub scouts.

5. showey47 says:

As for simon i believe there is a slim chance that he may have to turn in his nhlpa union card, but as for big bert i don’t feel the same way. I have always wondered what caused the broken neck on moore. Was it the actual punch or the 6 man pile up that ensued while he was unconcious? Anyone who has played an elite level or even just competitve hockey like jr.A hockey know that shots to the head by a punch are not uncommon. Maybe i have a bias being from sudbury and knowing the bertuzzi family quite well but i do know that there was not an intent to injure like chris simon’s last 2 acts of stupidity. In case no one noticed todd is a 6’3″ 250 pounder who’s strength resembles more nfl than nhl and had it been someone alot smaller and not as strong who punched moore there would of never been an injury and would of been at worst a roughing penalty. At worst i think todd is a victim of his own intensity and physical strength.

6. Moey says:

I don’t know what happened late last night, but he wasn’t making a lot of sense this morning. He was posting some pretty nasty stuff and those were deleted minutes later. I get ragged on too, and at times I deserve it. Sometimes it’s just fun to poke the bear with a stick especially if you know what buttons to push. All in fun, no malice intended.

7. ebk says:

I believe you are correct, it falls under attempt to injure. No idea how long he will get. I will say after his last incident, he should never had a chance again to play in the NHL.

There comes a point in time, these player forfeit their right to play in the NHL. I believe Simon has, as well as Bertuzzi.

8. Ali says:

so did someone on the Habs a season or two ago. I dont remember if it was Markov or someone else. Maybe Perezhogin.

9. Ali says:

Not alot has changed. Carbo is taking it easy on the 1000 line combinations a night, and not chirping as much to the refs. I find when we struggle to get the puck out of our zone, we struggle in all other areas. Because we’re so desperate to get it out, the passes into the neutral zone are not accurate, result in turnovers or bad dump-ins, and we are always on our heels.

The game against Tampa in the 3rd is when they started getting soem confidence back, and were moving the puck better. This team doesn’t have size up front, and we’ve seen that other teams can match us for speed, but against slower teams like Philly and the Leafs, we look like we can sweep the medals in skating at the olympics, and we come out on top. A game against quicker teams is where we will truly be tested.

10. ebk says:

sorry, I was referring to the 8 we dress a night. Call me a traditionalist but I like the usual six

11. likehoy says:

i know if you kick, you’re put under review for suspension. Kovalchuk got 1 game last year for kicking (instinctive, no malice)

12. Yeats says:

Thanks. I have nothing against the guy. Heck, if he wants to rag on me go ahead. I get ragged on at least twice a week at pickup hockey not to mention the ongoing ragging I am subjected to at home. I have a pretty thick skin and learned a long time ago how to laugh at myself.

Hopefully, the boys have turned a corner. I really enjoyed watching them the last two games. Have a great week as well. All the best, Brian

13. doug says:

Didn’t see it; what happened?

14. doug says:

didn’t see it what happened?

15. showey47 says:

Probably attempt to injure. What is probably gonna affect the suspension even more than the deliberate act is his history of suspensions. I believe he has at least 7 suspensions, i would be surprised if he gets less than 40 games

16. doug says:

I think he’s fine. . . when he settles down he’ll realize that it takes two to tango.

As for you, I can’t imagine ever not having a positive impression about you. I’ve never once been even 1% offended by you – your M.O. is more to make everyone comfortable by pointing out what brings us together (e.g., Mattee and Brazilian soccer) than what rips us apart.

I think the guy was fine, and do agree that it seemed like he was impersonating a francophone and now that that is confirmed is certainly not what we’d want given the contentious environment in quebec re: language issues. I could say how “Grabs the Puck” may have been more vindictive/attacking but I didn’t see what you or Moey had done beyond playing along.

Oh well, on to other things! Have a good week, my friend.

17. Mattee. says:

I was looking through the rulebook, and I couldn’t find anything about attempting to hack off a players limbs with your skates… anybody have a clue where the league stands on this topic?

18. Bill H says:

I agree with you Doug. But I don’t think you’ll ever know it because of the problem you just described. I doubt you’ll ever find your way back to read it. I don’t know what the answer is, but I find it very difficult to navigate and pick up where I left the discussion.

19. Yeats says:

Nobody likes to lose, but I think a major criticism when they have is a lack of effort. You may lose, but if you’re clearly busting your behind, the fans won’t rag on you. That’s why I go light on Ryder. If he weren’t trying, I would feel differently about him.

When you say cut down on the number of d-men, do you mean on defense or on offense? The only position where we don’t dress at least one d-man is in goal.

20. ebk says:

The team now is young and seems to be talented. Let us hope that we have seen the last of Smolinski and Brisebois. I can live with losing with kids, I think most people can.

ps
    It would make me much happier if we could cutdown on the number of defensemen dressed ever night. But what the heck, you can’t have everything.

21. Chorske says:

I’m calling BS on your complaint, Kilroy. The moderators on the site are quite level-headed. I know this from experience: I requested that someone get booted a couple weeks ago, probably because I was cranky and tired. I got a VERY polite explanation for why that person was NOT going to get banned. And in the end I am glad the cooler heads prevailed because (as I have said elsehwere) the poster in question (Cournoyer12) actually has a lot of interesting things to say, and I was the one being an ass. I’m big enough to admit when I made a mistake. You clearly crossed a line or two. I’d just apologize, and move on.

22. Yeats says:

The Capt did bring his A game last night and was clearly leading by example. If we see the Breezer at all for the rest of the season, I’ll be really disappointed. I rather see O’Byrne as a regular make the odd mistake. You know he is going to pound someone one of these nights and we’ll be telling our grandchidren about it 20 years later. I also like the fact that he is comfortable enough out there to make the breakout pass on his own. On that note, I can’t wait to see Price victimize an opposing squad on a bad line change with his passing. The only time you see a down-low cycle like that is generally in pickup when one team is way overmatched. The leafs looked absolutely pathetic several times last night as the Habs put on a clinic. Fraser was, dare I say, surprisingly bad last night. He generally calls a bad game when the Habs are on the ice, but we didn’t even get the usual pity calls he doles out. I was suprised that the other ref went along. Must have been a conspiracy. The talent is clearly there, Carbo and the gang have to be more positive and try to bring it out on a more consistant basis.

23. ebk says:

players like him have no place in the NHL. They will stay, though until the mindset of the league changes.

24. Yeats says:

You’re right. The talent gap is pretty narrow across teams in the Eastern Conference. All you have to do is actually make the playoffs with a healthy squad and anything can happen. I thought that if we got in last year we had a better-than-even chance of beating the Sabres.

25. Chorske says:

No Kovalenko, Malakhov, or Theodore.

Whoops, sorry: time warp.

26. ebk says:

Through injuries etc, the makeup of this team has changed. Let us hope they Habs actually show the patience they talk about and keep playing the kiddie corps. This team right now is better than the one they broke camp with. Is it good enough to compete night in night out in the NHL? That is the million dollar question, if the Habs are going to fight for a playoff spot, lets do it with the kids

The East is so mediocre that they could finish anywhere from 4 to 12. They may be the second best team in their division. So who knows

not sure if I answered your question or just blurted out something else.

thanks for reading

27. showey47 says:

I would have to say that having a number one line that actually resembles a number one line might be a good reason. Saku, higgy and sergei’s down-low cycle was absolute poison against the laffs slow defence. Not having breezer in the line-up and virtually zero defensive blunders, a true energy player like lapierre instead of slowinski. Mats and his linemates were a non-factor, i was so glad not too see that stupid grin mats gets on his face when he scores a goal. We threw more punishing hits against a team that apparently ownes us physically. Kerry fraser was the laffs best player last night, he gave them every chance to get back in the game. But price owned them yet again, just think if we had started price in the first 2 games against the laffs we would probably be 5-0 instead of 3-2

28. Yeats says:

I ragged on him last night — all of my posts are still there for all to see — but I didn’t think I was too harsh. There were, however, several posts after mine suggesting that someone give the poor kid wearing the TO jersey on TV a few beers that were deleted. That’s where I think his problems were last night.

His negative opinion of me, as far as I can tell, stems from a post several days ago where I blew the cover on his faux-francophone style. Frankly, I found it a bit grating after awhile and if I were a francophone might actually have been offended. He kept going in and out of character the way Julia Roberts did with her Irish brogue in the movie Michael Collins. I replied to one of his posts noting that his English had improved dramatically and inquired as to whether he had purchased the Rosetta Stone language program. Predictably, he called me a wise@$$, but who amongst us would argue with that. I sure wouldn’t.

That’s my take on things. Reading some of his posts as Kilroy today though I have to say that I didn’t mean to throw the guy off a cliff mentally. Let me know what you think?

29. showey47 says:

no brisebois or smolinski

30. mjames says:

Excellent rebuttal. I would ask him to convince us that Lats’ absence was the reason for our win. It was the guys who played the game. Yes O’Bryne, AK74 and Lapierre are an ungrade to Simolinski, Briesbois and Begin. This team’s current play will only improve the play of Lats in my opinion.

mjames

31. The Teacher says:

Wow, Simon SHOULD be gone, I just saw it and that was ridiculous.

32. doug says:

Agree – i have no idea. I wonder if Gainey didn’t talk to Carbonneau about his attitude and lines, etc. He’s done less tinkering during the games. Gainey would not meet with players without Carbo – that would not be done to Carbo’s authority because he’d be a lame duck.

I think the only hope is that Gainey talks to Carbonneau and keeps him moving forward as a mentor, something he really lacked last year when we slumped and Gainey had an understandably distracting family tragedy.

On another note, how did that guy Kilroy possibly develop a negative opinion of you?! I’ve never seen you do a single thing that could be possibly misinterpreted as unkind/unfair, etc.

33. Yeats says:

Aside from the callups from Hamilton and line combinations, do you have any explanation for why this team has done a complete 180 after the Carolina and Tampa Bay games? The way they have played in the last two games makes me think that either they had a meeting amongst themselves, or they had a sit-down with Gainey and he let them know in no uncertain terms that Carbo is here to stay so they better decide quickly if they want to be members of the team. Something had to trigger the turnaround. I just can’t put my finger on what it was.

34. doug says:

in response to “carbo bashing”, i was delighted to see the team play two good games. i still think he’s not a good coach and when the team plays well he looks better and when they play worse it’s more of his faulty schemes, approach, and inability to get us quickly turned around from a downturn. he will need to go eventually because i don’t think he’s a good temperamental match for a young team. . . too much of a sulker.

35. likehoy says:

then what was the reason why we won against philly?

36. likehoy says:

cant’ waive smokes

he’s got a no-movement clause

Hi Doug, you are right. I thought it was done perposly so we might learn how to stick handle coast to coast.

At least they have taken the red line out for us.

All kidding aside, it is confusing at times. But I get lost easy anyway!

38. BigHabsFan says:

Its great to see some good play. It confirms most fans expectations and the ability of our guys. Although there wont be much Carbo bashing on here today, it will be intersting to see if he can keep the guys playing well on a consistent basis. It will also be intersting, as noted by Boone, how Carbo will reintegrate the injured vets back into the lineup if the level of play stays high.

39. Fer_hab says:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned yet. But Greg Millen just had to go and say the “shutout” word with like 7 mins lefts in the game. What an ass.

Great game though havn’t seen the habs play that well since Patrick Roy days. No comparision intended.

40. howtathor says:

The game was awesome, the kids were magical, as were the vets especially Saku Koivu, Mark (bustamove) Streit, and good ol’ AK27. The team put on a hockey clinic last night and for the first time in weeks, I felt it was small price to pay to be there. What a difference a week makes! Hopefully we can stay on this roll as we head out on the road again where we excel. Mike, keep up your peerless prognostications and be glad you’re not playing football in Cleveland today!

Tickets 100.00
    2 Hot Dogs, Fries and a Drink 15.25
    Peanuts 4.25

Watching the usually obnoxious Leaf fans quietly slink off into the night…..priceless!

41. gohabs 25 says:

The #1 reason we won:
    NO LATENDRESSE

Only one other person has made this remark so far. All others are looking at smolinski, brisebois etc…
    I challenge anyway to try to convince me that we would have been able to play such a competitive, fast paced game with Gui in the lineup.

42. ClaytonM says:

I believe they had a team meeting before the flyers game, which included some Habs alumni. I caught the tail end of a discussion on the meeting Benoit Brunet was mentioning. If it’s accurate it was just what they needed.

43. doug says:

Anybody else find following the threads of this site impossible when you come back after hours away? Is it possible that responses to a particular thread be put in the order in which they were written so that we don’t constantly have to go to the bottom and work backwards to read it in the order in which it was written?

Would really improve the site for me.

44. Mike says:

So… Are we going to start signing our young guys to long term deals? or let them all walk in two years. We need to get them signed to 4-7 year contracts

45. kevin m says:

Habs-Fan-In-KY

I think that with the recent exposure to NHL game situations by the Hamilton call-ups, the Habs have had a chance to showcase otherwise unknown talent. This can only help the organization in the event of a possible transaction.

While I believe that Youth must be served I also believe that there is no substitute for experience. The youngsters from down on the farm have aquitted themselves admirably and deserve their chance to shine in THE SHOW. This team is overflowing with raw talent that will be refined & polished as the season progresses.

I think that Gainey will be able to deal from a position of strength when it comes to making a possible deal at the trade deadline. Whether or not S. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, O’Byrne or Grabovski remain with the Habs or are returned to Hamilton for polish they have proven that they can play in this league.

Bring on the Panthers & Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

46. Bill H says:

Hmmm…Little Tits/ Big Tits, Tits Sr/Tits Jr. And now we have K2. I’m not sure if you coined that Mattee, but I like it. I wonder how long it is going to take before we all settle the nickname issue by consensus. I like Little Tits/Big Tits too, but given the discussion about offensive comments below, I wonder if there are people who are offended by that.

I hope K2 stays with the CH on line 1 too. He seems to have sparked Higs and Koivu. But he’s only played 2 games and has 1 assist. Its too early to say if he will consistently bring what the Habs have needed on that #1 line. Let’s hope he is the answer.

47. nightmare_49 says:

Your speculating that their will not be any more injuries which we actually have been pretty foetunate to date. Smols will be out till the end of January and Begin till mid January if things go well. Then at the trade deadline or before their will be movement and after you mould your team to make the playoffs and if you make it that doesn’t mean that you would use the same line up that got you there as it depends on your opponent. Probably nobody will have to be sent down , not even Latendresse who needs a good month of developement. Gainey would not want to lose anybody to waivers.

48. ClaytonM says:

Yeats, you need to get a display picture. I for one enjoy your posts and would find it easier to sift through the rest if I knew what to look for. I find the lack of a display picture highly offensive, and will be forced to report you if you continue to be a non-conformist.

49. ClaytonM says:

Great post. I was saying the same thing Thursday after yet another sundin special. He has 16 goals this year. How many were flukes? I’d say half easily. How many were from actual skilled play and not a defensive lapse by the other team? Any? Every time i see a highlight of a sundin goal it goes off a skate or he is on a breakaway after a brutal line change, and he gets considered in the same breath as Crosby, Lecavalier and Zetterberg. No wonder he has an annual goal scoring drought. His horseshoe falls out of his ass is all. Here’s hoping Ryder or Koivu get the same breaks for a month or two.

Think I’ll go see who is on the tube this afternoon.

Go Packers Go, until the Florida Panthers get to land after this storm!

Back a little later.

51. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

thankas for the clarification! From what I’ve been reading, Paul Maurice feels we did it flagrantly. Maybe the spilling of beer on his bench but………..

52. Mattee. says:

Turns out I just kind of said what you said in a later post. My bad. How does this happen, again?

53. Kilgore Trout says:

akost made the hit, but pj was saying that simon should be gone

54. Derek says:

That is the smartest move I’ve heard from anyone so far during the “slump”. I agree totally!

55. Mattee. says:

It was AK46. Karate is difficult enough on a steady surface, let alone on skates!

56. ebk says:

If you sent Dave Stubbs a obscene email, then that should not be tolerated.
    If he thinks your account needs to be blocked because of it, I trust his judgement. He seems like a reasonable man.

Last night you did cross the line but you were not the only one. Keep it clean and no reasonable person should have a problem with it. But let’s not turn this site into kindergarden. We are supposed to be adults.

I like your stuff, it is usually funny. Seems a number of people feel the same way, just cut out the rest of the crap.

57. Mattee. says:

Here is my simple suggestion: If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it. Keep everything as is until someone proves he is unworthy to start.

In this way, all you have to do is either keep Smokes and Brisebois on the injured reserve or wave one of them. No harm done there.

58. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

PJ must be on something. That hit last night could NEVER be considered intentional. I don’t know how you could purposefully break a wrist (by a hit into the boards no less) with just body contact. He didn’t swing his stick at it or karate kick his wrist with a skate! Give me a break?

Wasn’t it Kovalev that hit him? Kovalev is no bruiser/tough guy!

59. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

read posts under the Koivu article on the main page. I say no!. He has a no trade clause and HE said that no one from the Habs have asked him to waive it.

60. Mike Boone says:

They played the McCabe hit several times this morning on TSN. A total fluke injury.
    Unlike the latest Chris Simon incident.
    That man needs years of therapy.
    PJ said he should be gone for the season.
    At minimum.

61. Jordanb says:

Is there any truth to the Koivu trade rumors that the guys on CBC were talking about last night?

62. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

I was pondering the same thoughts. When the vets come back off the injured list, then what?

I really feel that sending the youngsters that are producing and making the effort night in and night out should not be redirected back down to the minor leagues (the “In case of emergency” card that has been used so many times by the Habs over the years). It really hasn’t worked over the years as the kids come back less productive (Lapierre, Milroy, to name a few) and less motivated because they ultimately know their fate!

If our minor league is our future, then when does the future begin? When do these kids play AND stay with the team? Injuries are inevitable and calls to the monors are inevitable, but if the players in Hamilton perform equally to the vets, the youngsters should be rewarded and the vets used to acquire future talent or improve areas of the current team!

I hope the management seriously considers looking for a “marque” player. To me it’s still what the team needs. To me, our Marque player might be in Hamilton! Give them a shot!

63. Mattee. says:

Habs-Kat! If you had to choose between Hamilton and Les Canadiens, who would it be? I hope he K2 stays, he deserves it big time!

64. Mattee. says:

I highly doubt chip get’s sent down. I think it would be devastating to Koivu if his line gets broken up when this is the first time that he has felt comfortable in 30 games. It would crush him and everyone that follows his lead. Smo, Begin and Brisebois are going to have to wait until someone messes up before they crack the line again. And Begin should have the first crack when this happens by the way.

65. Habs-Kat says:

I wouldn’t mind sending down Tits Jr. because I’d rather see him in the AHL than in the pressbox. Besides, I don’t like to see the Bulldogs riding the bottom of the league.

66. kilroy says:

Done. But for those keeping score the blank post was blank because I didn’t like what I had posted. If a post is removed by the administrators there is no “blank post”. I’m turning the computer off now. Have fun.

67. OldGrover says:

I hadn’t seen it before posting that, but.. geez. Looked pretty damn cold and calculating. He should be gone from the league, forever. No place for that in this game.

68. ebk says:

3 good lines can be formed
    Higgins-Koivu-Kosti II
    Kosti I-Plekanec-Kovalev
    Lats-Chipchura-Ryder

One the fourth line I like Streit-Lapierre-Begin. But only at the max of about 10 minutes a game. All three can fill in on the top 3 lines if necessary. The rest of the forwards are pretty much interchangeable parts and can be used to change the makeup of the team when needed. Against to Flyers, Leafs and Bruins, they could dress Kostopoulous and move Streit back to D with restricted minutes 5 on 5

Streit is good on the PP as a dman and should be used there. He is not good enough to take a regular shift on defense or forward. As a PP specialist/part-time 4th liner Streit is a big asset.

Lapierre and Begin are the Habs best two energy/defensive/pain in the butt players and need to be dressed for that purpose. Kostopoulous can also be used here if either of these two are not doing their job. Dandenault as well.

Smolinski and Brisebois were fine NHL players in their day but their day has passed.

Thanks for Reading

69. The Teacher says:

I did see a blank post.

You seem to agree that you might have crossed the line.

If that’s the case we can all just move on then?

70. Chorske says:

The ‘little tits’ / ‘big tits’ thing is funny but it won’t stick on the radio or in print, so we’ll probably have to find something else. I really like K2. It sounds… mountainous.

To the old guns here: how did radio announcers deal with this in the RIchard / Mahovlich days? Did they just say the complete name, or did they use nicknames / first names?

71. The Teacher says:

Ahhh…Well, I LOVE driving in this weather..so don’t see the problem lol. I have a hospital appointment at 2:30 today…

This should be fun eh!

Being on the Chipper line it takes a lot of pressure of Ryder and he had fun playing last night. You could see it in the play of the whole line. At this level, Its a business yes! but it is still a GAME. To perform at ones best, it has to be Fun!

Just look at us! were all still kids, playing right along with them. And just think how good we all feel today.

O no!! do i have to go out and shovel at my age so I can drive my little darlings to school in the morning. That is the other thing one does in retirement. DRIVE SCHOOL BUS

I hope not tomorow!!

73. Chorske says:

You’re not the only one. The Hamrlik signing was a piece of brilliant work. At the time I thought we we’d given a surprisingly long contract to someone I’d had in fantasy pools and considered ordinary but reliable. But he has elevated the defensive play of everyone he’s played with. I’m thrilled that a young gun like O’Byrne is learning from him. We would’ve ended up overpaying for Souray.