About last night …

Given the situation – Leafs in town, six straight losses at home – it was the Canadiens’ best game of the year.

Everything worked. If I were grading the Canadiens’ effort:

Goaltending: A- (only because the Devereaux goal was a softie)

Defence: A … and that most definitely includes Ryan O’Byrne and my man Josh Gorges, who held his own against the physical Leafs and made some precise outlet passes.

Forwards: A+ Keyed by the Captain and Christopher Higgins, who’ve been re-energized by the addition of Sergei Kostitsyn, all four lines contributed to a solid effort at both ends of the ice. There were sequences when the Leafs just could not touch the puck in their own end. If that cycling-down-low game keeps up, the fans have to learn to chant "The wheels on the bus go round and round …"

Special Teams: B- for the power play, which went 0-for-3 and A for the PK because Toronto went 0-for-3

Coaching: A At one time or other, Guy Carbonneau used each of his four centres against Mats Sundin, and the big (talented) lug was kept off the scoresheet. Despite some no-calls that had the Bell Centre faithful howling with rage, Carbo was smart enough to realize his team was controlling the game and there was no point ragging the refs – least of a rabbit ears like Kerry Fraser.

Fans: F- Throwing beer from $150 seats unto the Leafs’ bench? Totally uncool, totally unMontreal, totally idiotic. C’mon guys! What is this, Philadelphia?

Would it be immodest to point out that that the Boone Reverse Jinx was a perfect 2-0 this week? I predicted wins by the Flyers and Leafs, prognostication that made sense on paper.

But the game isn’t played on paper (and if it were, Hal Gill would be an ink blot.)

I admit it: a week ago, I wanted to fire Carbo and trade half the team. But the league is wacky this season. With the exception of Detroit, every NHL team is vulnerable to slumps.

The Canadiens’ swoon came early. And while they’re not out of the woods yet, the team is sitting fifth in the Eastern Conference and has played 120 minutes of excellent, disciplined hockey.

And they’re young. Half of these guys would get carded in an Ontario bar. They make mistakes, but when the Kiddie Corps is on, as they were against the Leafs last night, it’s a sight to behold. The Bell Centre cognoscenti love the kids. It’s wonderful to hear applause for the subtle, Hockey 101 skills of Kyle Chipchura.

I wonder if Bob Gainey will make a move before the holiday trade freeze kicks in. There’s less urgency than there was last week, but the play of Sergei K., Ryan O’Byrne and Josh Gorges makes for some dicey personnel decisions as players come off the IR list.

Anyway, these are good problems to have.

Florida on Tuesday night. I don’t know that I can invoke the Boone Reverse Jinx without turning it into a joke.

1. mjames says:

Excellent rebuttal. I would ask him to convince us that Lats’ absence was the reason for our win. It was the guys who played the game. Yes O’Bryne, AK74 and Lapierre are an ungrade to Simolinski, Briesbois and Begin. This team’s current play will only improve the play of Lats in my opinion.

2. The Teacher says:

Wow, Simon SHOULD be gone, I just saw it and that was ridiculous.

3. doug says:

Agree – i have no idea. I wonder if Gainey didn’t talk to Carbonneau about his attitude and lines, etc. He’s done less tinkering during the games. Gainey would not meet with players without Carbo – that would not be done to Carbo’s authority because he’d be a lame duck.

I think the only hope is that Gainey talks to Carbonneau and keeps him moving forward as a mentor, something he really lacked last year when we slumped and Gainey had an understandably distracting family tragedy.

On another note, how did that guy Kilroy possibly develop a negative opinion of you?! I’ve never seen you do a single thing that could be possibly misinterpreted as unkind/unfair, etc.

4. Yeats says:

Aside from the callups from Hamilton and line combinations, do you have any explanation for why this team has done a complete 180 after the Carolina and Tampa Bay games? The way they have played in the last two games makes me think that either they had a meeting amongst themselves, or they had a sit-down with Gainey and he let them know in no uncertain terms that Carbo is here to stay so they better decide quickly if they want to be members of the team. Something had to trigger the turnaround. I just can’t put my finger on what it was.

5. doug says:

in response to “carbo bashing”, i was delighted to see the team play two good games. i still think he’s not a good coach and when the team plays well he looks better and when they play worse it’s more of his faulty schemes, approach, and inability to get us quickly turned around from a downturn. he will need to go eventually because i don’t think he’s a good temperamental match for a young team. . . too much of a sulker.

6. likehoy says:

then what was the reason why we won against philly?

7. likehoy says:

cant’ waive smokes

he’s got a no-movement clause

Hi Doug, you are right. I thought it was done perposly so we might learn how to stick handle coast to coast.

At least they have taken the red line out for us.

All kidding aside, it is confusing at times. But I get lost easy anyway!

9. BigHabsFan says:

Its great to see some good play. It confirms most fans expectations and the ability of our guys. Although there wont be much Carbo bashing on here today, it will be intersting to see if he can keep the guys playing well on a consistent basis. It will also be intersting, as noted by Boone, how Carbo will reintegrate the injured vets back into the lineup if the level of play stays high.

10. Fer_hab says:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned yet. But Greg Millen just had to go and say the “shutout” word with like 7 mins lefts in the game. What an ass.

Great game though havn’t seen the habs play that well since Patrick Roy days. No comparision intended.

11. howtathor says:

The game was awesome, the kids were magical, as were the vets especially Saku Koivu, Mark (bustamove) Streit, and good ol’ AK27. The team put on a hockey clinic last night and for the first time in weeks, I felt it was small price to pay to be there. What a difference a week makes! Hopefully we can stay on this roll as we head out on the road again where we excel. Mike, keep up your peerless prognostications and be glad you’re not playing football in Cleveland today!

Tickets 100.00
    2 Hot Dogs, Fries and a Drink 15.25
    Peanuts 4.25

Watching the usually obnoxious Leaf fans quietly slink off into the night…..priceless!

12. gohabs 25 says:

The #1 reason we won:

Only one other person has made this remark so far. All others are looking at smolinski, brisebois etc…
    I challenge anyway to try to convince me that we would have been able to play such a competitive, fast paced game with Gui in the lineup.

13. doug says:

Anybody else find following the threads of this site impossible when you come back after hours away? Is it possible that responses to a particular thread be put in the order in which they were written so that we don’t constantly have to go to the bottom and work backwards to read it in the order in which it was written?

Would really improve the site for me.

14. Mike says:

So… Are we going to start signing our young guys to long term deals? or let them all walk in two years. We need to get them signed to 4-7 year contracts

15. kevin m says:

I think that with the recent exposure to NHL game situations by the Hamilton call-ups, the Habs have had a chance to showcase otherwise unknown talent. This can only help the organization in the event of a possible transaction.

While I believe that Youth must be served I also believe that there is no substitute for experience. The youngsters from down on the farm have aquitted themselves admirably and deserve their chance to shine in THE SHOW. This team is overflowing with raw talent that will be refined & polished as the season progresses.

I think that Gainey will be able to deal from a position of strength when it comes to making a possible deal at the trade deadline. Whether or not S. Kostitsyn, Lapierre, O’Byrne or Grabovski remain with the Habs or are returned to Hamilton for polish they have proven that they can play in this league.

Bring on the Panthers & Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Bill H says:

Hmmm…Little Tits/ Big Tits, Tits Sr/Tits Jr. And now we have K2. I’m not sure if you coined that Mattee, but I like it. I wonder how long it is going to take before we all settle the nickname issue by consensus. I like Little Tits/Big Tits too, but given the discussion about offensive comments below, I wonder if there are people who are offended by that.

I hope K2 stays with the CH on line 1 too. He seems to have sparked Higs and Koivu. But he’s only played 2 games and has 1 assist. Its too early to say if he will consistently bring what the Habs have needed on that #1 line. Let’s hope he is the answer.

17. nightmare_49 says:

Your speculating that their will not be any more injuries which we actually have been pretty foetunate to date. Smols will be out till the end of January and Begin till mid January if things go well. Then at the trade deadline or before their will be movement and after you mould your team to make the playoffs and if you make it that doesn’t mean that you would use the same line up that got you there as it depends on your opponent. Probably nobody will have to be sent down , not even Latendresse who needs a good month of developement. Gainey would not want to lose anybody to waivers.

18. ClaytonM says:

Great post. I was saying the same thing Thursday after yet another sundin special. He has 16 goals this year. How many were flukes? I’d say half easily. How many were from actual skilled play and not a defensive lapse by the other team? Any? Every time i see a highlight of a sundin goal it goes off a skate or he is on a breakaway after a brutal line change, and he gets considered in the same breath as Crosby, Lecavalier and Zetterberg. No wonder he has an annual goal scoring drought. His horseshoe falls out of his ass is all. Here’s hoping Ryder or Koivu get the same breaks for a month or two.

Think I’ll go see who is on the tube this afternoon.

Go Packers Go, until the Florida Panthers get to land after this storm!

Back a little later.

20. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

thankas for the clarification! From what I’ve been reading, Paul Maurice feels we did it flagrantly. Maybe the spilling of beer on his bench but………..

21. Mattee. says:

Turns out I just kind of said what you said in a later post. My bad. How does this happen, again?

22. Kilgore Trout says:

akost made the hit, but pj was saying that simon should be gone

23. Derek says:

That is the smartest move I’ve heard from anyone so far during the “slump”. I agree totally!

24. Mattee. says:

It was AK46. Karate is difficult enough on a steady surface, let alone on skates!

25. ebk says:

If you sent Dave Stubbs a obscene email, then that should not be tolerated.
    If he thinks your account needs to be blocked because of it, I trust his judgement. He seems like a reasonable man.

Last night you did cross the line but you were not the only one. Keep it clean and no reasonable person should have a problem with it. But let’s not turn this site into kindergarden. We are supposed to be adults.

I like your stuff, it is usually funny. Seems a number of people feel the same way, just cut out the rest of the crap.

26. Mattee. says:

Here is my simple suggestion: If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it. Keep everything as is until someone proves he is unworthy to start.

In this way, all you have to do is either keep Smokes and Brisebois on the injured reserve or wave one of them. No harm done there.

27. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

PJ must be on something. That hit last night could NEVER be considered intentional. I don’t know how you could purposefully break a wrist (by a hit into the boards no less) with just body contact. He didn’t swing his stick at it or karate kick his wrist with a skate! Give me a break?

Wasn’t it Kovalev that hit him? Kovalev is no bruiser/tough guy!

28. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

read posts under the Koivu article on the main page. I say no!. He has a no trade clause and HE said that no one from the Habs have asked him to waive it.

29. Mike Boone says:

They played the McCabe hit several times this morning on TSN. A total fluke injury.
    Unlike the latest Chris Simon incident.
    That man needs years of therapy.
    PJ said he should be gone for the season.
    At minimum.

30. Jordanb says:

Is there any truth to the Koivu trade rumors that the guys on CBC were talking about last night?

31. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

I was pondering the same thoughts. When the vets come back off the injured list, then what?

I really feel that sending the youngsters that are producing and making the effort night in and night out should not be redirected back down to the minor leagues (the “In case of emergency” card that has been used so many times by the Habs over the years). It really hasn’t worked over the years as the kids come back less productive (Lapierre, Milroy, to name a few) and less motivated because they ultimately know their fate!

If our minor league is our future, then when does the future begin? When do these kids play AND stay with the team? Injuries are inevitable and calls to the monors are inevitable, but if the players in Hamilton perform equally to the vets, the youngsters should be rewarded and the vets used to acquire future talent or improve areas of the current team!

I hope the management seriously considers looking for a “marque” player. To me it’s still what the team needs. To me, our Marque player might be in Hamilton! Give them a shot!

32. Mattee. says:

Habs-Kat! If you had to choose between Hamilton and Les Canadiens, who would it be? I hope he K2 stays, he deserves it big time!

33. Mattee. says:

I highly doubt chip get’s sent down. I think it would be devastating to Koivu if his line gets broken up when this is the first time that he has felt comfortable in 30 games. It would crush him and everyone that follows his lead. Smo, Begin and Brisebois are going to have to wait until someone messes up before they crack the line again. And Begin should have the first crack when this happens by the way.

34. Habs-Kat says:

I wouldn’t mind sending down Tits Jr. because I’d rather see him in the AHL than in the pressbox. Besides, I don’t like to see the Bulldogs riding the bottom of the league.

35. kilroy says:

Done. But for those keeping score the blank post was blank because I didn’t like what I had posted. If a post is removed by the administrators there is no “blank post”. I’m turning the computer off now. Have fun.

36. ebk says:

3 good lines can be formed
    Higgins-Koivu-Kosti II
    Kosti I-Plekanec-Kovalev

One the fourth line I like Streit-Lapierre-Begin. But only at the max of about 10 minutes a game. All three can fill in on the top 3 lines if necessary. The rest of the forwards are pretty much interchangeable parts and can be used to change the makeup of the team when needed. Against to Flyers, Leafs and Bruins, they could dress Kostopoulous and move Streit back to D with restricted minutes 5 on 5

Streit is good on the PP as a dman and should be used there. He is not good enough to take a regular shift on defense or forward. As a PP specialist/part-time 4th liner Streit is a big asset.

Lapierre and Begin are the Habs best two energy/defensive/pain in the butt players and need to be dressed for that purpose. Kostopoulous can also be used here if either of these two are not doing their job. Dandenault as well.

Smolinski and Brisebois were fine NHL players in their day but their day has passed.

Thanks for Reading

37. The Teacher says:

I did see a blank post.

You seem to agree that you might have crossed the line.

If that’s the case we can all just move on then?

38. The Teacher says:

Ahhh…Well, I LOVE driving in this weather..so don’t see the problem lol. I have a hospital appointment at 2:30 today…

This should be fun eh!

Being on the Chipper line it takes a lot of pressure of Ryder and he had fun playing last night. You could see it in the play of the whole line. At this level, Its a business yes! but it is still a GAME. To perform at ones best, it has to be Fun!

Just look at us! were all still kids, playing right along with them. And just think how good we all feel today.

O no!! do i have to go out and shovel at my age so I can drive my little darlings to school in the morning. That is the other thing one does in retirement. DRIVE SCHOOL BUS

I hope not tomorow!!

40. kilroy says:

Disregard the post from Mr. Cobb. There was nothing else said. Anyway, that’s enough. Dave Stubbs and Mike Boone are gentlemen. I didn’t set out to ruin anybody’s day. I’m obviously getting too wrapped up in this. I swore, it’s there, and I’m not going to trivialize it. It’s not the first time so I understand the ban. I apologise to Dave Stubbs for questioning his motives.I just needed to calm down enough to think about it. Yeats, Moey, grabbed the cup, you can all raise a glass to your achievement.
    Everybody else, have a nice day.

41. likehoy says:

actually smo and begin and chip are in the same mold so it’s possible chip gets the short end of the stick?

42. likehoy says:

So it’s common knowledge that if and when all 3 brisebois begin and smo come back, a movement is necessary.

It could be made easy if Sergei slumps and his fast start is out of luck and he’s not NHL ready. But granted he is, the possible players to be moved in my opinion are brisebois, gorges, begin, kostopoulus, and possibly ryder. Though if any of them are sent down to the AHL, they have to pass through waivers.

I guess don’t be surprise if we send down ktits/lapierre while we pend for a trade.

Hi Teacher, I saw it, and no one really needs to be exposed to that kind of stuff.

I trust that if anyone starts to get into this type of posting in the future, they also should be a unhealthy scratch. – IAN

44. Moey says:

That probably depends on which area of the city you’re in. Historically on the West Island bad weather tends to keep people indoors because we have to drive, we can’t just walk to the mall.

45. NLhabsfan says:

Ryder played well considering he played less than anyone on the team.How is he going to score? Other then that great game by our young guys.You can see that are getting better with the experience by the game.

46. kilroy says:

There is no deleted post as Boone and Stubbs would be forced to admit if they were honest. The blank post you may have seen in the thread was deleted by myself, and frankly I don’t remember if it contained dirty words ornot.I was being goaded by Yeats , Moey, and grabbed the cup. Should have been a bigger man. I wasn’t. I’m sure they are enjoying this immensely.
    There was an exchange deleted which I will be happy to send you a copy of if you email me. I copiedthe actual page so you can see that it is not fabricated. I took exception to an indecent post, but did NOT swear or do anything else that would defy the “rules”. I guess all I really want is for whoever banned me to be honest about it, and it bugs m e th at there is the suggestion that I said something terrible when it is all right there.
    I appreciate you taking an interest. I understand that posting is a privilege but I believe I have rights as well. At least the right not to be slandered, which is how I feel about this “mystery post” that I never made.

47. Mattee. says:

If I may Dave, I read every post last night, including those that have since been deleted. I did, in fact, save one thread which I intented to bring to your attention. In GP/Kilroy’s defence, he was confronting someone who made a very unwelcomed post. If GP has had his account deleted, then so should he who provoked him.

The 5 kids have changed the chemistry and have challenged the vets with there energy play. I thought Ryder looked very comfortable and will probably will stay on the Chipper line.

I’m sure that the five kids are here to stay, Price, O’Byrn, Georges, Lapierre, and Little Teats. We are on the move now.

49. The Teacher says:

Wouldn’t everyone BE at the stores in order to do shopping when they can’t do anything else?

Besides shovel, that is :)

50. The Teacher says:

Dave and Mike,

Is it possible that you can repost the ‘deleted’ comment by Mr. Poisson?

As a way to get around the controversy. Is it possible that you can have a ‘thumbs up’ or thumbs down’ ranking for that specific post to see what the consensus among posters is?

From my experience in the last two weeks reading Mr. Poisson’s posts, I don’t really see anything that was blatantly xenophobic or degrading to anyone else. He might be sarcastic, but that isn’t a crime. However, I abide by your decision, although it would be nice to be able to review the post.

perhaps you can set up a small section on the site that shows examples of posts that will not be allowed? Showing a few examples probably will be more beneficial than just posting the rules IMHO.

for example,

1. naming the first line the KKK line is one example of something that shouldn’t be posted, for obvious reasons.

2. Calling someone a racial epithet

3. Posting something along the lines of

“cournoyer12, you know nothing about hockey and you really need to improve your vocabulary”

is obviously not accepted as it is a personal attack (I trust Cournoyer12 understands I bear no animosity towards him, just providing an example :P)

51. Moey says:

What do think about this lovely weather, going to be a fun drive into work tomorrow. On the bright side might be a good day to do Christmas shopping, the stores will be empty.

52. Geoff F says:

Habs kicked butt. C’est tout! Really proud of our boys for manhandling the BIG BAD LEAFS at home. Thanks Santa!!!

I guess the Leafs must have been watching the CIA version (Weapons of mass destruction)of the McCabe injury. While i feel bad for McCabe only because i don’t wish that sort of thing on anyone (This is a game after all). I said to my GF when i saw the hit that he had shattered it, it was obvious by the way he got caught out of position along the boards that he had set himself up for the injury. It was obvious that McCabe was pinching Kosty had forward motion as he wanted to poke check the puck for a break, McCabe saw he was going to be posterized and changed his mind throwing him into a weird position which in essence turned an innocuous play into a serious injury. He took a chance and he got burned unfortunately for him.

Maurice can whine all he likes but he’s just trying to light a fire under his team. I understand what he is doing and it would work well in PEEWEE but not so much in the NHL where people actually know what is going on.

I also love the way everyone talks about how the Leafs must have been tired hence their poor play. Don’t forget that all the goals were crap goals because they were all deflections. So when Sundin does it it’s an awesome goal but when the Habs get it it’s a fluke? LMAO pathetic.

I guess they forgot to watch the balance of the game when we were making them dizzy in their own zone. Keep clinging onto the notion that if they believe that the Leafs are Canada’s team it might actually come true. MAYBE, but COKE bottle glasses might work better for that and hey you’ll look really cool. Of course you can attend one of those positive thinking courses too that might work. I think Ryan Wlater does some of those doesn’t he….i’m sure he’s available as long as you can deal with another Hab teaching you a lesson or two!

GO HABS GO!!!!

53. kilroy says:

Sir, there is no reason for you to taunt me. I have never been uncivil to you. Lets try to keep it that way. Thanks.

Great job Dave, I think we were heading down an old road. Thanks. Great day to go ice fishing in this storm!

55. kilroy says:

I said nothing offensive last night that was deleted, as Dave Stubbs knows. The profane word I used (horrors) is still there. My apology for it isnt.

56. RH says:

Hey, don’t be too harsh just yet. I think they’re letting you on here with your kilroy account, otherwise, that account would’ve been deleted by now as well. I mean, you’re still the same guy with the quick wit and all right?

I will! we had some problems before the new set up, and it got way out of hand. Last night we were heading that way again. This will serve as a warning to all that if the puck crosses the goal line in a shootout, you deserve to loose the game. Well Done!!!

58. kilroy says:

Thanks Dave. It’s complete BS and we both know it but at least you made the pretense of an explanation. I swore. It’s still up there. If your concern was really protecting kids (please), it wouldn’t be. Much worse goes unpunished,and spare me the “we can’t catch everything”. You don’t like my contributions to your site and thats why I was banned. I can live with that.

59. Dave Stubbs says:

The blocking of accounts is not done indiscriminately. We have remarkably few rules at Inside/Out for the enjoyment and protection of all. They’re down the right-hand side of the site.

Inside/Out is a project of The Gazette and we have readers of both sexes and all ages visiting us, and we have sponsors who are paying to help keep us in business. The policy is not unreasonable, and a simple registration allows people to post comments immediately, without a lag before they appear.

The Gilles Poisson account was not blocked at the request of one or more readers. Content from the writer at that account violated our rules in more than one post. Most of our visitors seem to understand that posting comments is a privilege, not a right. Subsequent obscene personal email to me, as was the case with the writer at the Poisson account, won’t change our minds about a policy that has been carefully considered.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

60. The Teacher says:

I tried to read it last night but the post was already gone. All I can see is the back and forth that keeps occuring. From what I’ve seen. As Mr. Poisson you might use a different style of humour, but nothing that should have been flagged.

From what I’ve seen.

However, Dave is usually on the ball. Maybe he can offer an explanation?

61. kilroy says:

“Gilles Poisson” was banned at the request of one poster and the whim of Dave Stubbs. Better read this quick cause it’ll be gone soon. Read last nights blog and tell me if i deserved to be banned. Read the whole thing, not just the few silly comments I made when I should have been in bed. I’ve actually just showed this whole thingh to my wife and she insists that this madness ends so no more posting for me. I’ll leave it to the revisionists to colourit how they will.

62. Mike says:

oh yah another thing. Congrats to boullion who got his first point of the season

63. The Teacher says:

Ok Mr. Poisson, Mr. Kilroy, whoever you are?

what’s the dealio here?

64. showey47 says:

Lmao that would be classic, hnic would never show it on tv but rds definatly would. the key would be getting it past the guys who check the signs at the front entrance

65. kilroy says:

I believe the rules should apply to all players and punishment should be indiscriminate.

66. kilroy says:

It’s a matter of principle. And they couldn’t stop me from posting if they wanted to. But that’s not my style.

67. kilroy says:

Yeah if there’s one thing I hate it’s bias and an uneven playing field (rink, blog whatever).

68. Mike says:

Oh and btw, I will be bringing a sign to the next game that i go to that says “Fraser, Ill double whatever the leafs are paying you to call a fair game”

69. Mike says:

I just wanna point out. I was at the game last night. And me and my friends ( we were 5 of us) got our entire secvtion to seriously (not sarcastically) chant “Lets go ryder!!” It was great, i wished we got more people to do it because it would have been a huge bonus and confidance booster for him.

70. showey47 says:

Hnic, tsn and sportsnet are pathetic. Had the laffs won last night, they would of replayed the game on cbc instead of showing the edmonton-vancouver game and the entire espisode of sportsnet and sportscenter would of been dedicated to the laffs. Now all we are gonna hear about for the next week or so is how a.k.46 gooned mcpilon

71. showey47 says:

Fair enough, he did punch him from behind and i’m not defending him for doing it. But todd was suspended because of the result of the punch and not the action of it. So should every player get suspended for an entire season for a punch to the head regardless of injury or not? Or just the ones who punch hard enough to cause injury. All i know is that this has affected his career in alot more ways that one, his sister did tell me that montreal was a place where he would like to play but with his now troubled past and the media spotlight here, he chose to play in a city where he can play and live in annomitity

72. notbigbird says:

I didn’t get to watch or listen last night. When I finally turned on HNIC it was intermission in Edmonton, and I heard nary a word about our game. I thought, “Well then, the Habs must have won.” Then I clicked between TSN and Sportsnet, and I really began to guess that the Leafs had lost when I heard nothing for about fifteen minutes. So, I checked good, old Boone and discovered that I was right.

73. RH says:

I think Habs management should just pay Brisebois out and get rid of him.

74. JF says:

Two games in a row that have me smiling. Two solid, 60-minute efforts in which the Habs outskated, outchecked and outscored their opponents. Who would have thought after last Saturday’s dismal performance against the Canes that they would get 5 out of a possible 6 points this week? But, as Koivu remarked, it’s less about the points than about the way they won. This is the way they were playing early in the season and the way they try and play on the road. I hope they’ve finally figured out that this is the kind of game they have a chance of winning, both at home and on the road. And man, is it fun to watch!

The kids are great. The energy and focus that S. Kostitsyn brings to the first line is an eye-opener. Without Brisebois, defensive turnovers have all but stopped happening. I hope Gorges will continue to play and Brisebois, when he recovers, will be used as a spare defenseman. Lapierre is a big upgrade on Smolinski. He should stay, regardless of Smolinski’s contract. Smolinski can play the occasional game or fill in when someone else is injured, but we need Lapierre’s speed, energy and grit.

The performance of these kids makes me wonder whether Bob Gainey and the Canadiens’ organization in general are not too cautious with the young prospects. Here were these kids in Hamilton clearly ready to perform at the NHL level, and we went and signed Smolinski and Brisebois. Smolinski at any rate looks like a mistake; though I still think Brisebois can be useful if he’s given a limited role.

Michael Ryder should definitely play the next game. He looked really good and made some great moves. I hope so much that he gets his scoring touch back.

75. kilroy says:

Hi. I’d like to comment on this post, but it seems my account isn’t working. It’s Gilles Poisson. Thank you.

76. Mr.Hazard says:

I remember when McCabe (was it?) was interviewed after scoring into his own net, he swore a couple times and I was so turned off by the lack of respect and composure. Now you see Maurice swearing his mouth off cause he’s pissed, in front of the cameras… Grow up…

Ex nihilo nihil fit

77. Y says:

You think we could convince Breezer to move to Hamilton?

78. showey47 says:

Ya but he would have to clear waivers, lmao

79. Moey says:

I was pleasantly surprised by the game last night, I thought our boys made the leafs look like crap. I was expecting another close game and maybe winning in overtime by a goal.

Price has really improved in the last two games, looks like the goalie coaching staff really know what they’re doing.

So happy for Saku, he was great last night. He’s bouncing back. I really want him to have a cup before his career in Montreal comes to an end.

So here’s to some more great hockey this week!

80. J.T. says:

Man, that felt good! To finally beat those guys with a hard-skating, puck-control game that DOESN’T end up in a shootout. At home, no less. I don’t know what they’re going to do for the rest of this season, but when they skate, they can play with anyone in the league. And, boy, is it fun to watch! They’re going to have a very entertaining Centennial year. Now, if only Ryder could pot a couple, things’d be just peachy in Habsland.

81. The Teacher says:

Well, well, well.

The Habs played awesome last night. no doubt about it. Was great to see an absolutely DOMINATING perfomance put on against the Laughs.

Really impressed that SK74 can get the puck out of the zone! Getting the puck out of the zone is what it’s all about for the Habs. When they can do that cleanly and consistently, they have no problems in games.

now what happens when a team adjusts and keeps us from clearing the zone cleanly.

The oaching staff must make adjustments in-game.

Did ANYBODY not play well yesterday?

Thankfully Breezer wasn’t on the ice…s no! :)

I WAS incredibly dissapointed in Carbo for not putting MR73 on the ice during a powerplay when we were up 4-0.

Give the guy a break!!! COME ON!!!!

Everyone surely has to see the effort he is putting. I for one, when he missed that ‘sure’ goal in the first period with Toskala on the floor, said “Tabarnac, that poor Ryder.

So anybody still want to razz on Booly (CUBE) for having no points this year?

82. ebk says:

Ryder will be ok as long as they keep giving him ice time. He is a good hockey player and has proven it. Slumps happen to most players.

This team’s chances of making any impact this season will be greatly enhanced if Ryder finds his game.

Just think how good Ryder would be if he had any hockey sense.

83. The Teacher says:

I blame Price losing his shootout on that idiotic CBC announcer who asked if he might get the shutout with 5 minutes left in the game!!

I knew his shutout was lost at that point. I even told my friend who was watching the game with me at the time. “See what a$$es the CBC announcers are, they said “shutout””!!!!!!

84. Moey says:

I blame it on me too. I turned to the other half during the third period and said the dreaded “S” word, then I slapped myself really hard. Two minutes later the leafs scored.

85. The Teacher says:

And if anyone thinks the McCabe hit was dirty. They seriously need to be spending more time in the T.O. botth reviewing hits. end of story. What an idiotic statement by Maurice…?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Heeeellllllloooooooooooooooooooooo! anybody home!

86. showey47 says:

typical maple laff statement by maurice, he doesn’t realize that we really did him and the rest of laff nation a favour. Maurice forgot to mention that kerry fraser was their best player last night and gave his team every chance to win the game.

87. Moey says:

They’re sore losers, McCabe hit his wrist between the board and the glass, that was really obvious in the replay, there was no cheap shot.

88. showey47 says:

no brisebois for the second straight game, very few defensive mistakes. Coincidence? i think not. Lapierre has been a big upgrade over smolinski, he is so much faster and physical. He is also very good at getting under the opponents skin. Anyone else think smokes won’t finish the season as a hab. The first line looks totally rejuvenated with sergei in the right side, their down-lown cycle is absolute poison. The third line defensive pairing of gorges and the cube were very solid. Felt bad for price, he should of had back to back shutouts against philly and the laffs as much as its being said that the laff goal was weak, i think hamr’s stick played a big role in it.

89. J.T. says:

I agree Gorges is a definite upgrade over Breezer, and I’d like to see the latter in the role for which I assumed he was acquired…seventh D, with some second-wave PP duty and around ten minutes of ice when he’s in the lineup. Gorges is young, can make a nice pass and doesn’t back down from anyone.

As for Smoke…I also agree Lapierre is playing better, but unfortunately, Smolinski has a no-trade clause in his contract, so, short of a buy-out, Lapierre probably will be going back to Hamilton when Smolinski’s off the IR.

90. ebk says:

hope you are wrong JT. sending Lapierre to Hamilton at the beginning of the season was a big mistake. Doing it now would be even worse. He is clearly better in a checking role than many of their supposed checkers, he is clearly a much better energy player than many of their supposed energy players. And he is a huge pain in the butt on the ice. Quite simply, he belongs in the NHL.

91. showey47 says:

Well if smokes sits in the pressbox long enough after coming off IR he may change his mind about the NTC.

92. The Teacher says:

Uhmm, maybe he wouldn’t have been giving the same effort if he was on the team at the beginning?

Thank you.

93. ebk says:

Ummm, he gave the same effort last year that he is this year, so I see no reason why he wouldn’t have earlier in the year.

94. The Teacher says:

ARRGHHHH. Doesn’t ANYONE listen to Don Cherry? LMAO

95. showey47 says:

Actual i don’t the guy is an idiot, his pro-leaf, anti-habs mentality makes his show totally unbearable to watch.

96. The Teacher says:

Actually, asides from his pro-Leaf bias, his comments at times do have some merit.

but I agree, he can turn you off.

97. ClaytonM says:

At least he has the GRAPES to come out and say he’s a leafs fan, unlike the rest of the toronto media who think they’re fooling the rest of Canada with their bias. When it comes to hockey talk, Cherry is usually 2-5 years ahead of the rest of the pack. When did he start in on the instigator rule? The kevlar equipment they wear? Hits from behind? Slew-footing on an icing race?

But he shoots his mouth off about something else and everyone dismisses him as a racist homophobic hate monger. Go figure.

98. The Teacher says:

P.P.S. – Sadly..I have!

99. The Teacher says:

So what’s the problem there?

100. kilroy says:

Re: The BS written by Grabbed the Cup, GTC, Ian Cobb, Yeats, ClaytonM etc

If The Gilles Poisson posts were offensive to francophones or anyone else, they were welcome to say so and I would have stopped immediately. I have no problem with being criticized until it gets personal. As much as yeats seems to be congratulating himself, nobody “blew my cover”. If anyone was stupid enough to believe the Poisson posts were genuine that’s something they should be worried about, not me. “Kilroy” was never banned from the site as ClaytonM and Grabs say. I stopped posting when it became a chatroom where a certain contingent even had the audacity to suggest others “had to earn the right” to post. Clayton M has published my email but not the emails I received from him which I was responding to. None of you have any idea what was said between Dave Stubbs and I. I know I’ll have an opportunity to meet ClaytonM and Herb Jones and then they will have their chance to call me names to my face.

101. Moey says:

I know I’m a lamb headed for slaughter, but take my advice, please quit while you’re ahead. Just calm down, breathe…
    count to ten, do some yoga, whatever it takes.

It’s just a game and it’s just a blog. Just continue posting under Kilroy and sweep this under the carpet.

102. doug says:

Ok Kilroy, enough. You’ve proven yourself to be irrational over this and your account is correctly at risk of being removed. I’m 39, work out regularly, am 6’3, 210, can bench press 250. I’m also a fairly smart guy.

Unfortunately (actually, fortunately), however, I have never been in a fight in my life and don’t intend to start now, so I’ll politely refuse any potential future invite from you to fight me and add me to your target list. I am certain you could beat me up. I would probably be so busy trying to run and call my cell phone to get the police at the same time that I’d trip over something and get pummeled by you. As a professional with a family and a life, that doesn’t seem like something I need to get into at this point.

So, let the record stand that:

a. you were a fun, clever poster
    b. you have good hockey opinions
    c. i can understand why the one e-mail with the HNIC comment incensed you – it certainly would have me
    d. none of us realized – or cared – what your racial background, ethnicity, mother tongue, religion, sexual orientation, or otherwise was
    e. Grabbed the cup and others have offered to bury the hatchet and return to civility.

Now you have a decision to make. Accept our invitation into our community – assuming Dave allows it – and let’s bury the hatchet, or do not and we will stop responding to you and/or wait for Dave to ban you now that you’re exhibiting hostility and borderline personality traits that frankly make me an unprecedented mix of bored and nervous – didn’t think they could actually coexist before this.

I don’t want to be on your “hate” list but as a relatively uninvolved person to date I just wanted to point out that you had supporters right up to the last minute. Threatening a real-world fight doesn’t do much for your reputation and is embarrassing; I know you’re frustrated but the manly thing to do would be to make the choice above, not pummel one of our faces with your fists.

I for one hope you tone it down and decide to stay. You’re clearly on probation now, though, and whether or not you feel it is deserved is irrelevant. Bury the hatchet, forgive and be forgiven, etc., or don’t. If it’s the latter move on to other pursuits; your posts clearly demonstrate your wit, intelligence, and charm. Why waste them on a lost cause of losers like us if you feel that that is a proper description of us?

Best to you and yours for an enjoyable holiday; I shall not post again on this non-hockey topic.

103. ClaytonM says:

So, we beat the laffs and flyers handily last week. They used their skills and speed to earn the 2 wins and turn the ship around. After the games there was some horseplay with Price and Higgins which is always a good sign. It shows they’re relaxed and confident. Koivu broke out of his drought, the 2nd line continues to play well together, and the rearguards are finally showing some composure advancing the puck and clearing their zone.

My question is how many wins will it take for the media and fair-weather fans to stop insisting they’ll have another midseason downward spiral? My guess is they’ll need to get 8 of 12 points on this road trip and trounce the panthers tomorrow night. A 12 point trip gets everyone back on the bandwagon. A quick look at the standings tells me they’ll need the latter just to start building a cushion on the conference, and it’s a given that a few other teams will put a streak together soon. Otherwise there’ll be 14 teams fighting for a playoff spot in late March and that would be friggin anarchy.

104. krob1000 says:

Be prepared for anarchy as I think this will be the ultimate yoyo season for the entire Eastern conference (maybe not Ottawa but even they too have “walked the dog” lately). The league would love nothing more than 14 teams still in the hunt and that is their ultimate objective…I wonder if Bettman has actually done something right ???Nah!!Sorry about that momentary lapse in judgement. I should have just bit thumb and kept that thought inside.

Ahhhh, another slip by one of our more astute contributors. Too much Christmas cheer over the weekend?! Who would have thought that Krob would turn out to be a closet Bettman supporter. You’re probably also working on moving an NHL team to Las Vegas:-)

Parity you ask? Eleven point separate 14 teams in our conference. Six points is the difference between a playoff spot and last place. That’s why those lost (single) points to Nashville and Tampa still haunt me.

The Original 24 Cups

106. OldGrover says:

Completely offtopic, but funny as heck. A writer asks the question “Could a morbidly obese goalie shut out an NHL team” ?

107. HigginsIsABeast says:

The Caps are funny!

108. kilroy says:

Moey I have no problem with you. I’ll always defend myself. I was prepared to sweep it under the carpet until I read the same core group of people posting a lot of inaccuracies. I have never initiated any confrontation with anyone here. Clayton and Herb have been calling me names for months. I’d prefer to discuss it with them in person, and I intend to. I don’t like this internet bravado. But as long as I see stuff posted about me I will respond.

109. ClaytonM says:

Here we go again. You accuse us of slandering you and then twist words to slander me. I did not call you a racial epithet, I asked if you were HNIC as well as kilroy and gilles poisson, and asked if it stood for hockey night in canada or Head N-word in Charge. There’s a huge difference between asking it the way I did and accusing me of calling you one yourself. But anything to get back up on the cross, eh?

110. kilroy says:

Please. Don’t feign objectivity. The e mails you sent me were cc’d to your pal herb. I could prove that by publishing his email address like you did with mine (a special thanks to the admins for leaving that up). Why didnt you publish the email where you called me a ni**er? In case you didn’t notice my account was deleted. I thought I was entitled to know why and I asked, and asked, until I was satisfied. It didn’t concern you but you had to keep it going. You and your e-friends continued to slander me. I was never banned. I never fired the first shot at you. Grabs is very selective with his memory. The angel routine is great though.

111. ClaytonM says:

Be careful or you’ll find a fish head in the straw of your stable, Moey :)

112. kilroy says:

We can get into a game of “he said” all night. Fact is, you know I’m black, and you know exactly what you said. And even if you had of said “N-word”, which you didn’t, that wouldn’t be any better.

113. Moey says:

That’s okay Clayton, as long as it’s not my horse’s head, I’ll put the rubber sheets on the bed as a precaution.

114. ClaytonM says:

Just to clear up any “inaccuracies”, what I posted was the following:

Submitted by ClaytonM on Sun, 12/16/2007 – 12:51.
    Thank you very much for making a post about the game. Much prefer to read this over all the bickering and whining.

This is not a forum for people to vent their inadequacies or curry favour using the martyr mentality, everyone. It’s a place to talk hockey and occasionally (I hope) a chat room to wish others well on personal matters.

If you want to rant and rave, go to McGill metro station and do it with the rest of the schizophrenics.

Please note that I did not mention any names in my first post. I didn’t even see what you and GTC were arguing about as it was removed from the site. In fact, I didn’t even know your alais was gilles poisson until you mentioned they shut it down. My issue was a minor one, it had to do with 20 posts complaining about being blocked and deleted which I found mildly amusing and just a bit tiresome. The plain and simple truth is both you and GTC feel it’s necessary to get the last word in with each other. You also feel that you can deride the other at every turn. Frankly I made my post in the hopes that sanity would prevail. I miscalculated. Now you want to rumble. What are you, twelve?

Kilroy, if you want people to lay off you when you post here, I suggest you begin by showing a bit more restraint. Instead of posting things questioning GTC’s sexual preferences or sending me invitations to meet you face to face so we can fight, take a few seconds and think about how immature you’re acting. Perhaps if you didn’t escalate things and kept the discussion to hockey and the Habs you’d come off sounding more reasonable.

115. kilroy says:

Really? His racist emails are cc’d to your gmail account. Or didn’t you know that?

116. Grabbed The Cup says:

OK I read the email, if Clayton knows you are black then it is in extremely poor taste, but how would he know that?

117. Grabbed The Cup says:

“I don’t like you” Do you think I like you after all the crap you’ve sent my way?

“You’ve repeatedly insulted me.” yeah that’s right, in response to your insults.

As far as the rest of the stuff between you and Clayton, this is the first I’m hearing of it, frankly it’s none of my business and I’m fed up of all the friggin drama so leave me out of it.

118. Grabbed The Cup says:

If either of you care to recall, this is where I came in, with the two of you going at each other.

Back around late September I came across a thread in which someone by the handle of kilroy was disagreeing with a number of people in an antagonistic, bullying way. At one point the debate began to center on you and Clayton, and you elevated the disagreement by saying to him “Clayton, what kind of name is that…” repeatedly insulting his given name. When another poster pointed out a mistake you had made, I wrote in reply to him “Good eye dude” which turned your attention my way and then you proceeded to insult me. This is where it all began, do you remember?

Just before you left HIO for your self imposed exile, I twice stated that I would rather be friends than enemies, clearly you chose the latter, perhaps you enjoy having adversaries.

Fast forward to where you joined up here under the Poisson name, do you remember taking your semi-disguised shots at me? You know what I’m talking about, the little sarcastic jabs that only I would get… You’ve got to look in the mirror man, I don’t have a personal vendetta against you, but it appears you certainly do have one for me.

Even after you insulted her the other day, Moey gave you some great advice that you should seriously consider; “It’s just a game and it’s just a blog. Just continue posting under Kilroy and sweep this under the carpet”. There are several people here that have enjoyed your posts, I’ll even go as far as to admit that I found a couple of your ‘Poisson family life’ posts amusing, but this immature ‘Wait til I get my hands on you’ crap is not going to do you any good.

You’re back on HIO with your original user name, why not take the opportunity to establish a respected handle and become one of the many civilized posters here? I swear the first time you respond to anything I type in a polite adult manner, whether it’s positive or negative, I’ll forget the past insults and move onto an agreeable dialogue. Think about it, everyone here has seen the childish bickering that’s been going on between us the past couple of days, imagine how impressed they’d be if they saw those same combattants exchanging friendly banter instead, you would be partially responsible for making HIO a better place, instead of dragging it down.

119. kilroy says:

Thanks Herb. Figured it wouldn’t belong until Clayton’s ally came around. I do remember actually. The thread you are referring to is the one where Clayton called me a moron, out of the blue, after I made a comment about Markov diving.
    I don’t post for your approval. And you are right, I don’t like you. You’ve repeatedly insulted me. I’ve said a number of times now that I’m prepared to let it rest (here. In real life, where people don’t get away with slurs, I feel a line has been crossed). I’m still waiting for that to happen.

120. kilroy says:

It’s not a secret. He knew what he was saying. It wouldn’t matter what colour I was I would be insulted. I’m sick of your games. I apologized to the admins yesterday and hoped that would be it and you guys kept it rolling. If you think I enjoy this you are wrong. Every time I think it’s done I feel I have to respond to the fresh twists you put on everything.

121. Grabbed The Cup says:

What games? What twists? What the hell is wrong with you? I’m trying to have an honest exchange with you but I’m starting to think it’s pointless.

122. Yeats says:

It all must go back to the Summit. All manners of evil and dirty tricks were proposed during that weekend in Montreal. That’s where the dupe Lee Havey Oswald was brought into the fold.

123. Grabbed The Cup says:

You keep mentioning that, and I’m starting to see the light of your reasoning. Good thing they don’t know our secret handshake 😉

But seriously, immediately after the summit a cult of jealousy seemed to develop amongst several HIOers, many of which seemed to loath the friendly exchanges between ‘Summiteers’ as they dubbed us. It had to be known by anyone who gave it any thought that people who had recently met and made new friends would want to chat a little more than they would with people they only knew electronically, it’s only natural.

124. Yeats says:

Nobody prevented others from attending, so I’m a bit taken aback by the apparent jealousy. Hey, when buddies of mine trot off to play in tournaments in places like Las Vegas and I can’t make it I just wish them well and hope they have a good time. This whole “us versus them” thing just seems so childish.

125. ClaytonM says:

In truth I was a bit annoyed with all the chumminess after the summit. I want to read what people think about hockey, not so much their personal lives. Then I did the mature thing and got over it.

126. ClaytonM says:

As Ed McMahon would say, “You are correct, sir.”

127. Yeats says:

How’d you’re 6:00pm go-to turn out? I wanted to lay some scratch down on you, but the guys in Vegas stopped taking wagers at 5:00pm.

128. ClaytonM says:

Good one, dude. Unfortunately there were 2 problems. 1 – I only saw the email at 10pm, and 2 – I’m not in high school anymore, so I feel secure enough to turn down a fight at recess.

129. Yeats says:

This whole thing has turned into The Cask of Amontillado. I can see it now:

The thousand injuries of (insert name) I had borne as I best could; but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, however, that I gave utterance to a threat. At length I would be avenged; this was a point definitely settled–but the very definitiveness with which it was resolved precluded the idea of risk. I must not only punish, but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the avenger fails to make himself felt as such to him who has done the wrong.

130. Grabbed The Cup says:

I wonder how narrow we can make these response boxes…

131. DD says:

At least we have one more confirmed Summiteer for next years jaunt, although he has stated it will not be to make friends. I guess the ‘Us and Them Crowd’ won’t have to worry about friendly banter.
    Yeats, remember when the Plekster was ready to kick our asses before the last Summit?
    Herb, your e-mail address I have still valid?

132. ClaytonM says:

I didn’t know he was black and I still don’t, he could be lying about that too.

I did suspect he was a moron and was proven correct.

133. Yeats says:

The old format where you referred to previous posts by number when replying was much better.

134. ClaytonM says:

Yeah, what he said!!!

135. Yeats says:

Poe was da man!

136. Yeats says:

Why don’t we continue the conversation or address other topics of interest up top where we can have some room.

137. Grabbed The Cup says:

You sure can back up your handle.

138. Grabbed The Cup says:

Must… continue… campaign for… skinny reply boxes!

139. The Teacher says:

Ahaha, I am curious to see how small they can get also 😛

140. Grabbed The Cup says:

I knew I couldn’t be the only one 😉

141. Grabbed The Cup says:

So, so, skinny… fading… fading…

142. doug says:

Shouldn’t have ever written the “N-word”, even when not used, in private e-mail or here. I think you can understand why he was offended. Black or white, I don’t think any of us like to see reference to that. Sorry for stepping in but I’d hope you’ve learned a lesson here. Some things just shouldn’t be said, between whites, from a black to a white or vice versa, or, in my opinion (and in the newly enlightened opinion of Al Sharpton), between blacks, either. Time to retire that word and any references to it for people like you with a good head on your shoulders.

Hope that doesn’t come across too preachy.

143. DD says:

144. Yeats says:

Space contraints below forced me to write this!

145. DD says:

I believe you and I have had to deal with “Space Constraints” for years now.

146. Yeats says:

Or, are you talking about the ones between my ears?

147. DD says:

Let’s just say the suspenders might not fit anymore.

148. Moey says:

DD, you’re back. I missed your posts.

149. Yeats says:

Not a chance in hell. They’d look like lines of longitude on me now anyway.

150. DD says:

You and me both, brother!

151. Yeats says:

So Paul Maurice is pissed that McCabe is out for several weeks? I heard he was smilin’ his backside off at the leafs’ next practice.

152. DD says:

They let me out early, for good behaviour.

153. Yeats says:

Did they give you five bucks and a new suit?

154. Grabbed The Cup says:

Good behaviour? Cmon man, you got lucky with the annual christmas release program 😉

155. Moey says:

Yeah, then he gave the suit to Carbo.

156. DD says:

Not to worry, they have Wade “Call me Wayne” Belak. I couldn’t believe Glen Healy on TSN, the last time we played those losers, go on about what a great player Belak is. He was talking like Belak was a mix of Richard, Howe and Gretzky, only better.
    The only good thing about the leaf’s play of late, is that JFJ will hold onto his job and keep them in the basement where they belong. Although it would be comical to see Healy at the helm. I mean the guy’s got an astute eye for talent. i.e. Wade “Taint Wayne” Belak.

157. Yeats says:

He passed on the post-penitentiary haircut though.

158. Yeats says:

Healy renders all manner of alcoholic beverages ineffective. I can’t drink enough for him to make sense. I am trying though.

159. DD says:

I posted on that leaf site I told you about the other night. I was telling the people of loser nation not to worry, Wade Belak will fill in for McCnob while he’s having his nails done.

Boy, was I popular!

160. Yeats says:

Raj knows headshots!

161. Moey says:

Doing time can be a real pain in the butt. I hope you’ve learned your lesson. What were you in for this time? Let me guess, inciting a riot at the ACC wearing your special laffs t-shirt?

162. ClaytonM says:

No respect, eh Rodney? :)

163. Ali says:

Maybe we should set up a fight between the bickering posters. We can get a neutral poster to referee, and Mike can blog it.

164. Mattee. says:

I will vote myself as neutral referee poster. After all is done, I’ll pull out my guitar and we can all sit down and sing songs together (in kindergaden, my teacher would punish us by making us putting us in the corner. After our time out, he would bring back all the naughty children from the corners and include us in the circle and sing us songs…)

165. showey47 says:

Or you can use it to “play a tune” like former wwf wrestler “the honkey tonk man” if the fight gets out of control.

166. DD says:

Do you know any ‘Death Metal’?

167. DD says:

Brian, wasn’t the ‘Peacemaker’ made by Colt?

168. Yeats says:

Blessed may be the peacemakers, but I wouldn’t touch that role with a stick!

169. Yeats says:

Just play Lara’s Theme (Somewhere My Love) from Dr. Zhivago. They used to play it on the organ during fights at The Forum. You could follow it up with What Do You Do with a Drunken Sailor, alway a crowd pleaser. You’d be a huge hit amongst the older posters!

170. Yeats says:

God created man, but Colonel Colt made them equal!

171. Mattee. says:

sorry no death metal… i play a lovely classical tune though… Classical Gas?

172. Mattee. says:

hahaha… honkey tonk man! I’ll let you use the guitar as a fighting prop, I think I play the honky tonk man better with a broken guitar anyway.

173. Ali says:

throw in a Led Zeppelin tune here and there for nostalgia.

174. Yeats says:

Whole Lotta Love

175. ClaytonM says:

Battle of Evermore the way this has been going on :)

176. Ali says:

or maybe ‘When The Levees Break’…

177. Ed says:

If nothing else, this bickering is helping to drive up Boone’s ratings. “About last night” has made the most commented list, and has even surpassed Game 30 where the HABS lost their 6th straight game at home. However, I am sure that Boone does not like this any more than the rest of us do. Please fellow HABS’ fans, let’s be good & concentrate on our favourite hockey team. That’s what this site is supposed to be mainly about, & why it is called Habs Inside/Out.

178. nightmare_49 says:

I’ll be looking forward to your mature CERTIFIABLE posts in the future that are on topic.

179. kilroy says:

Best to you and yours as well Doug. This will be my last post on this or any other topic. I understand the light this has cast me in. I’m not stupid,and I’m not a masochist. I’m sorry that I’ve given the impression that I’m an animal with a penchant for violence. I felt I was being mocked in a public forum so I responded as I saw fit. As I said before, I tried to end the discussion a number of times. It was a lot more fun talking about hockey, which I did for a long time without incident. I know you have good intentions but I’m not sure you do understand why Claytons email, even his sanitized version, incensed me. And of the 10,000 or so derogatory words available to him, am I supposed to believe he chose that one by accident, besides knowing for a fact that he didn’t? This matter will be resolved offline.

180. doug says:

Thanks, Kilroy. You will be missed. I just hope that you use the appropriate way to express yourself when resolving the issue offline. Whether or not there is a racist among us, I know that a large proportion of caucasians hold consciously or subconsciously racist positions. I would not put yourself in a perilous position trying to change that; you know better than I do that it is what it is. Ignorance of all types (whether or not it exists among members of this site) is a difficult malady to contain or treat, and sexism, racism, anti-semitism, homophobia, etc. are long in the making and perhaps impossible, unfortunately, to stamp out entirely. I just hope that you use your considerable intelligence when determining how best to deal with this issue offline. In the end, it is certainly frustrating to be misunderstood and/or feel judged, but I don’t want you to let this experience negatively impact your real life or even today’s mood. Talk to your wife and figure out what is the best way to handle it; in my opinion it would be to walk away with your head held high, no matter how large the attack was or was perceived to be. Life’s too short, my friend.