About last night …

It’s somehow refreshing to be reminded, on a fairly regular basis, that I’m a dunce who doesn’t know anything about hockey.

Case in point: Game 1 of the Canadiens-Capitals playoff series.

I looked at the numbers and concluded there was no way the number eight seed was beating the top-seeded team in the NHL. Certainly not in a best-of-seven series, and probably not in the opening game in Washington.

Well … wrong again. Pending the result of the L.A.-Vancouver game, underdogs have won five of six opening games.

Included was a Number 8, Colorado, beating a number 1, San Jose, on Wednesday night.

But your Montreal Canadiens topped that – if only because we are no longer surprised by anything the Sharks do to crap the tank in the playoffs.

I was one of the Gloomy Guses who, when asked for a view of this series, confidently predicted Capis in three.

There was just no way a team that stumbled and bumbled and scraped into the playoffs by virtue of the one lousy point they finally earned against lowly Toronto could compete with an NHL juggernaut whose star-studded lineup includes the league’s second-best player.

(I’m a Sid guy.)

Let’s outline the assumtpions that the game proved utterly wrong:

• Jaro Halak, who was not good against the Leafs, has hit the wall. He’s a small goaltender whose regular-season and Olympic load is finally taking its toll. We’ll see Carey Price in Game 2.

Oops! Jaro made 45 saves, including 18 in the first period. He held the Canadiens in the game until they found their legs and played the Caps even through the last 53 minutes of the game.

• Tomas Plekanec is too frail for the number of minutes he’s played this year. He faded down the stretch and won’t be a factor in the playoffs.

Oops! Pleks has five shots on goal, the last of which is a 40-foot laser that beats  José Theodore to win the game.

• Jacques Martin is an old-fashioned coach, freeze-dried in the 1980s and incapable of in-game adjustments.

Oops! Martin somehow sold the virtue of forechecking to his troops between the first and second periods. He even used a timeout to rest hius players after an icing call.

After dominating early, the Capitals found themselves under pressure in their own end, a relentlessness – keyed by the Canadiens’ third and fourth lines – that took its toll on the Caps D, notably Mike Green.

The Norris Trophy candidate kind of sucked.

And the perennial Hart Trophy contender totally sucked.

Through almost four complete periods of hockey, Alexander Ovechkin was held pointless and did not register a shot on goal. The Canadiens D, primarily Hal Gill, Jaro Spacek and Josh Georges, did a superb job of taking away Ovie’s time and space, confining his frenzied bursts to areas of the ice where he could do the least damage.

Bruce Boudreau said his superstar “didn’t play good”. On the rush leading to the winning goal, Ovie played bad, lollygagging on his way to the bench for a line change as Pleks zoomed up ice.

• Marc-André Bergeron is too small to play against the Washington beheomoths. The Canadiens should have dressed Ryan O’Byrne.

Oops. MAB played 27:37 – one second less than Andrei Markov. Bergeron was aggressively forechecked by the big Washington forwards, but he shook off the abuse to make adroit first passes and clear the zone with surprising ease.

I wasn’t wrong about everything.

I thought Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta, with their Stanley Cup-winning experience in New Jersey, would excel. And they did, along with linemate Benoit Pouliot, who has snapped out of his late-season slump to display the skills that excited fans when he was acquired.

The line’s passing, to set up Gomez for the second goal, was exquisite.

I thought Mike Cammalleri showed signs,m against Toronto, of finally recapturing his pre-injury form. He scored the first goal of the game on a power play, skated miles and battled hard on every shift. Cammalleri’s industriousness was matched by linemate Andrei Kostitsyn, whose strength, speed and rarely-seen determination bedevilled the Washington D.

Like the Flyers, Senators and Avalanche, the Canadiens have seized home-ice advantage.

I still can’t see them beating the Capitals four times – in Washington, at the Bell Centre or on the dark side of the moon.

But what do I know?

1. punkster says:

Just before the site went down I tried to post something tongue in cheek. It went like this:

Yep, they’re too small. And Spacek and Hamrlik are too old. And Gill is a useless pylon. And Pleks plays like a little girl when it counts. And our goaltender (either one) lets in softies. Yep, they haven’t got a chance.

Well, wrong on all counts tonight. Somehow these guys found the spark. They’ll have to keep the pressure on Saturday, carrying the puck out of our zone, forechecking, and working the corners again.

Negatives? First, unlike Boone I couldn’t find any love tonight for AK but maybe I just wasn’t looking hard enough. Second, what’s up with those line changes? It’s like a Mexican Hat Dance out there. Last guy to the bench has to buy the beers or what? Disorganized.

2. Clay4bc says:

You’re right, Priceberg! How could I have  not seen it before – it was clear to anyone who watched the game – Halak played terribly, and had nothing (NOTHING!) to do with the victory. Thank you so much for enlightening me – I am in your debt.

_________________

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

3. PrimeTime says:

Nice to read one doomsday crier come out athough Boone always awards credit where credit is due in his postgame comments unlike the others here who just hide until the next opportunity comes to cry.

One game isn’t a series but we sure can be proud this one night. Hopefully it isn’t the last road win!

Bipolar or Manic-Depressive Disorder is a disease than can treated.

4. forskis says:

Since with that winning goal, Pleks is slowly getting more expensive to sign…is there any way we can sign Tomas Jagr for the League minimum?

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

5. smiler2729 says:

Boone, I’m a Sid guy too. The Ovenchicken is a little too in love with himself… Sid respects and loves hockey, the NHL and everything growing up in cold Canadian winters gives you, Ovenchicken hasn’t a clue.

6. doug says:

Great game. Anything more than a Habs loss in six would still be shocking. One team can be loose on Saturday, though. As for MAB, still scares the crap out of me.

7. forskis says:

One thing the Habs did that helped shut Ovechkin down…THEY HIT HIM…every player who was near him and therefore, had him as their defensive responsiblity hit him…not some weak or half-hearted stick check…they actually hit him, whether it be a bump, a hit, a little shove…they threw him off his game.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

8. punkster says:

All that assuming BG would have played Price more? Giant leap there MA considering the number of starts he got up until BG left.

9. ManApart says:

I think we all know, the Habs are not even in the playoffs if BG was still GM. For sure Price would have gotten many more starts down the stretch. Halak may still have been the back-up. With the Habs squeaking in by 1 point, that means no playoffs and no game 1 win. It is BECAUSE Gainey left, that Halak got his first shot in 3 years to play as a #1 and because of his MVP performance the Habs made it to the 2nd season.

10. Chuck says:

Without a Forum Ghost looking over Jaro’s shoulder and willing a puck that was on trajectory to go into the net to bounce to the left, we lose.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

11. Clay4bc says:

You should also be happy that the Caps are facing a diminant goalie, because without Halak playing great, we likely lose.

_________________

12. Danno says:

Hey! Great Avatar Ayan!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

13. Mr.Hazard says:

Nah, but Miller was 2nd! Man I’m happy we’re not facing a dominant goalie like him or Brodeur!

LOL

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

14. SeriousFan09 says:

They were an inspired move to play up the history of the Stanley Cup and the amazing stories behind some of the teams that have taken the Cup. The NHL needs to sell the emotion of the game, the amazing stories and the stars who made it all possible for their teams. NHL wants to sell the game to the casual sportswatcher, they have to give them a reason to watch, stories like Roy in 86, Lemieux in 91 and Messier in 94 are pretty compelling examples of why the NHL has the best sports post-season there is.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

15. Richrebellion says:

Finally someone who actually see’s what Gainey did for this team and how in 1 year was able to weed out the bad seeds and rebuild them even better.

16. RudeMood19 says:

LOL

WOW that’s actually well-made.

Although I think the video would’ve been better released after the series at least. Hopefully this isn’t like unlucky or anything.

As a side note, the NHL commercials this year are pretty good I must say.

17. Ayan_SB says:

Tonight, the Montreal Canadiens held Alex Ovechkin both shotless and pointless for the first time in his career.

18. Richrebellion says:

Wait what just happened? Did the bandwagon just fill up again? Last time i checked this whole city didnt give this team a chance! Now all of a sudden everyone knew they could do it? Everyone says theyre habs fans but a true fan sticks with them through everything and all ive heard in this city was we had no chance and we’d be out soo quickly why play…. Well welcome back! You know who you are!

As for the game they played with them stride for stride.

Yes the team that scored 98 more goals.

Yes the team that won the presidents trophy.

Yes the team that finished with 33 more points in the standings.

Yes the team with Ovy the 50 goal 109 point player and Backstrom the 101 points.

This is a new season all those stats mean nothing now. The new stats Mtl 1 – Wsh 0, thats all you need to know!

Gainey built a hell of a team and if it wasnt for injuries, this team would have easily finished alot higher. They will prove all the haters that they are for real and when they beat washington in 6, the streets will riot once again. I hope all you hab not-fans will stay inside on that night and let us true fans relish the moment!

Through thick and thin habs fan for life. DO YOU BELIEVE?

19. Norcal Habsfan says:

Great to see Boudreau throw Ovie under the bus. It seems a little early to start calling out your stars but I welcome the panic. One more loss on home ice and watch them start eating their young.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Was Ovechkin the 1st Ghost of the Night?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. Mr.Hazard says:

Halak 3rd star of the night on NHL.com.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

22. DearyLeary says:

I’m not sure anyone in my neighborhood (Ontarian suburbia) is asleep because of how hard I was yelling over that non call.

23. badbalance says:

Gomez is a beast, wow that goal he scored…. never knew he had it in him

Bob put this team together and they have come together. A lot more fun to watch than the rejects of last year! Thank’s Bob.

25. Willy the bum says:

I just love this spoof, and hope if there’s something like this in this round.

26. MikeL says:

Habs on the front of ESPN.com.

27. phillyhab says:

Luckily Mr. Boone, they only have to do it 3 more times!

28. FSUPhi1584 says:

I thought that was a pretty nice rebuttal by Pleks. I wonder if Theodore thought that shot was Jagr-esque? But in all seriousness I thought Spacek played very well against Ovechkin. The trick is to play with a good position staying close enough where he can’t deke you, and far enough so that he can’t run you over. That is what Scuderi did last year. Its also very important to keep your body in between him and the net and try to get your stick on his because he always tries to shoot and he will take bad shots thereby eliminating any offensive setup. Most of the Caps chances came off rebounds and most shots were not quality scoring chances.

29. habsfanmandy says:

I know, it was ridiculous.

30. habsfanmandy says:

I’m sursprised Boone didn’t mention the site crashing due to Pleks goal. I’m still in shock.

31. Xtrahabsfan says:

dido..

32. light_n_tasty says:

Way to go Boone.  Good job on reversing your reverse jinx.  Now we’re screwed. Thanksalot.

33. MikeL says:

I know it’s irrelevant now, but how insane was that non-call on Gionta? I was absolutely screaming at the television in anger. Glad it didn’t make a difference.

34. andrewberkshire says:

It’s been posted several times, but there’s no need for apology. That can be included in every post everyone on this site makes and I’d never get tired of it.

35. Bob Barker says:

Yeah I’ve been guilty of ripping Spacek and MAB also. Spacek was great but I knew he was capable of playing well.

MAB really surprised me with his composure. He probably played his best game defensively as Hab.

36. MikeL says:

He scares me as well. Always seems to wait till the last second to make a decision. He lives on the edge, that’s for sure.

37. RudeMood19 says:

In light of tonight’s unexpected win, and because I saw it on the TSN broadcast, and because it’s just awesome, I think it’s appropriate for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UumpTDdwHJg

And I apologize in advance if this was already posted.

38. Bob Barker says:

Good post.

AK had a pretty solid game. He was skating. He was especially solid along the board and won a lot of puck battles. Hopefully a sign of things to come because when he gets on a roll he scores in bunches.

39. RetroMikey says:

This is going to be a long and physical gruelling series.  I was not surprised we came out flat in the first period but we slowly progressed to play better and with confidence as the game progressed.

Halak is the man!  We won the first game which is great and let’s keep playing hard and make our speed come into play the next game as well.

Martin is outcoaching Boudreau and we won the first game, however Ovechkin is either injured or we are shutting him down.

Let’s take it game by game, Washington are a very good team and this series could go either way.

If Plekanec did not score or rack up several points tonight,  I would have been very vocal on this site saying he is playing like a little girl whch he had been in a slump and I did not want this carried over to the playoffs along with Cammallerri.

The 4th line of Darche, Lapierre, and Pyatt are worth of stars selecions in my books, fighting hard in the corners, making the plays and finishing their checks.

Congratulations boys, a well deserved W.

Rest those aching bodies, the series is going to be a long one.

I can sleep better tonight knowing the boys played a hard fought game.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

40. habs fan from stonyplain says:

i agree with you primetime people like timo are going to want to jump on the band wagon then twist there angle jumping off

41. captaink4life says:

In my opinion, the most important games in a playoff series (other then an elimination game of course) are games 1 and 4. Winning the first game bodes very well for the mental state of les Boys.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

42. Shiloh says:

What a great game to watch. The Capitals are a skating team and we are too. Once we found our legs in the second period we played them even or better. I llked Moore and Darche tonight – they don’t seem to mind getting into it along the boards. AK46 was good too. Now that Cammalleri is dangerous again AK should get more room to wheel.

Our guys may not win the series, but they don’t look like they’re going to slink off to the golf course with their tails between their legs.

Jaro squared (Halak and Spacek) and Tomas Jagr! It looks good on the Capitals.

43. punkster says:

OK. Great game though, wasn’t it? Love this team.

44. sidhu says:

I don’t know about y’all, but I feel an immense sense of pride in being a Habs fan tonight, and an immense sense of appreciation for the boys.

I’ve slammed Spacek, Gomer, MAB, and others at various points this season, but they all brought it tonight.

The light switch was definitely turned on in the 2nd and we had them on the run. We have them thinking now for sure!

46. Mr.Hazard says:

Hey Boone: I couldn’t see them beating WSH four times either. But look: now they only have to beat them 3 times! And they got 6 games to do it.

Also: “lollygagging”. Hahaha!

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

Coaching the bench during a speed game is tough, well oiled and coached teams screw up less than teams not as well oiled Dave.

Parkinson’s sorry!

49. Ayan_SB says:

Maybe because he grew up in Russia? Yeeah, Ovechkin obviously must not respect and love hockey as much haha. Damn those Soviets.

50. Merc_Roswell says:

Giants will fall

He is very slow moving the puck out of our end and gives it up. Scares me also Doug. But the alternative is O’Byrne and he is still trying to fit into his large body.

52. NLhabsfan says:

You could feel it change in the second..The Habs weren’t under pressure.They created there own….This team is for real.This series is going to fun to watch now. Watch the caps panic.Should be a factor in the series.

53. Chuck says:

I want wins, too. But they’re going to be harder to come by, especially when playing the highest-scoring team in the league, when your goalie generates scoring chances for the other team. I want Halak to have 30-save wins instead of 40-save wins. But when Halak (or any goalie, for that matter) isn’t at the top of their game, they become a “make-work” goalie; they turn primary scoring chances into secondary or even tertiary scoring chances and force your defense to clear more rebounds… if they can get to them.

Watch someone like this year’s version of Ryan Miller. How many mad scrambles do you see in front of his net? The answer is “not many”, because he’s very good at either sucking up the rebound or directing the shot to a spot in the ice where it will do no harm. Now consider Jaro’s game, where he often has to deal with second or third shots from scrambles in front of the net. That’s a harrowing way to play, and you’d have to think that a team like Washington (or Pittsburgh or Detroit, should we get that far) will eventually start hammering home those opportunities.

Don’t get me wrong; Halak has been a beast this year, and has made the most of his opportunity. Personally, I hope that he wins another 15 games this year. But his game, and that of his teammates, will be a lot easier with sharper rebound control.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

54. joeybarrie says:

Don’t get me wrong… Halak didn’t play poorly last night. But i don’t believe he played GREAT. He didn’t have to. He made some good key saves. But the first goal was not great. Very tricky, he was screened. The second I don’t think he had a chance on. But in the end he did not stand on his head, he did not put on a great performance. AGAIN, he didn’t have to. This is great, cause he looks like he is on top of his game.

The TEAM won last night. Make no mistake about it. Guys like Gionta, Gomez, Camma, Pleks, Gill, Spach and Gorges. These guys stepped it up. Especially Gomez and Spach…

The dangerous shots were mostly blocked. We didn’t give them awesome shooting chances (for the most part) and we were lucky in some cases. A few pucks went the right way. BUT IT WAS A TEAM EFFORT.

We didn’t even NEED Halak to win game 1. So we still got him in reserve.

Biggest trick is to continue to shut down OVIE. He will get frustrated and do something stupid. We didn’t even have the Ref’s on our side. How in the world did Gionta not get a tripping call out of that breakaway towards the end of the game?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

55. Shublips says:

Amazing win by the Habs but they’ll need to be better if they want to win the series.  They can’t give up 19 shots in the first and expect to keep coming out with a 1-1- tie.

Montreal-Washington: Plekanec’s OT Winner Draws First Blood for Habs:

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

56. oshawahabsfan says:

My play of the game, aside from the winning goal was Gionta dropping Oveckin with a bodycheck, what a player Gionta is!

57. nova scotia vees says:

Please do not take MAB out of the line-up for O’B!  Lord help us all if we have slow-footed O’B trying to get the puck out or move his feet when OV etc. barrel in.  His shot is terrific (and on net), and he does move the puck-up better than most of our D-men.  So he is small….but skating can compensate for that.  Of course, tell that to Canadian Press reporter Bill Beacon?  He called MAB “slow-footed”!!! Moron!

58. Chuck says:

Yeah, it’s a shame that I want our goaltending to improve.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

59. joeybarrie says:

OK FIRST OF….Seriously????? Halak plays better now that Gainey has stepped down???? Price was played MORE while Gainey was here????  Cmon. Halak has a save percentage of .912 without Gainey and a .926 with Gainey. Gainey was HOLDING HALAK DOWN??????  Really? This opinion just invalidates anything else you have to say.

Your trying to tell me, Gainey was AGAINST getting Moore, and as soon as Gainey was gone PG RAN out and got his KEY player???????

Do you realise Darche and Pyatt was called up a month before Gainey stepped down???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

60. Shagi says:

Chuck, I’m just getting over the flu and your avatar just made me feel like I lost my mind. Has it always changed like that? Fantastic game last night! Pleks is the man! The whole team played well! Go Habs Go!!!!!

61. Natrous says:

Sure, we won, but it’s not like MAB made the difference (2 SOG, -1)… Since Jan 1, MAB has scored three goals: 2 vs CAR, 1 vs TOR. What exactly makes him so good in the eyes of the people?

62. avatar_58 says:

I hope you are joking, because without Halak that 1st period would have been a nightmare

63. joeybarrie says:

AGAIN, Halak did not play poor. But he didn’t have to play spectacular… Not to take anything away from him. HE PLAYED SOLID…….But Price playing well would have done the same. Not to talk up Price. He didn;t play and Halak did, and he deserves to. He played SOLID….. BUT he didnt have to play awesome. In the end i’m trying to say the defense played well enough that the hard to save shots were kept minimal by Washington standards and the rest he was equal to. I am really not trying to insult him here, he played SOLID, this is a huge compliment. But my point is the TEAM won the game.

As with almost EVERYGAME this season, we win or lose with our players. Our goalies are both very good and have done well…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

64. Morenz7 says:

Re: Ovie, I agree and would argue his demeanor has been different since the Olympics—the devil-may-care aura is gone. I suspect he was embarrassed by what happened in Vancouver, and the question of whether he is a big-game player is weighing on him.

65. The M says:

66. Chuck says:

My avatar changes?  :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

67. JasonM says:

Awww comon now.

*facepalm*

68. Kristopher7 says:

Ignore him, he was hounding me as well about Halak. If the Habs win the cup, Conn Smythe will go to Halak, no doubt.

69. Chris says:

He opens up the ice.  When the Habs don’t have that shot, their power play is ridiculously easy to defend.

At 5-on-5, Bergeron has his defensive liabilities, but he is also one of the few guys on the team that can make an outlet pass.

Let’s put Marc-Andre Bergeron down as the Habs’ current version of Patrice Brisebois:  a player whose defensive liabilities mark him out as an easy target for critical fans, but one who nonetheless has a very important role on the team that he does reasonably well.

Was he the best player on the ice?  No.  But he was valuable and even did better defensively than most of his most prickly critics expected.

70. Chris says:

The purpose of this site is to come and discuss the Montreal Canadiens.  That necessarily means that there will be people who want to talk about everything that is right with the team, some will talk about concerns with the team and everybody will be the richer for it.

In your world, we all come here and engage in an anonymous contest about who the biggest fan is.  You will of course pardon me if I take a pass on what I consider to be perhaps the most boring exercise in the history of the world and continue to exercise my right to critically discuss the Montreal Canadiens, both their merits and their flaws, with like-minded people.

71. HotHabs says:

Ya, and you should keep wiping the egg off your face…

Washington’s shot standards?  almost 50 shots isn’t up to snuff?

He played a great game and make key saves, especially in the first, and was positionally solid and confident.  If he plays at that level for the rest of the series, we should be heaping praise and thanks upon Jaro!!!

Of course it’s a team game and Habs (after the first) mostly kept the Caps at bay in their own zone, but the guy in the blue paint must play a solid 60 minutes.  Outside of one shot that jumped out over his glove and rolled through the crease, Halak did just that – no weak goals and many excellent saves.

Give credit where it’s due!

72. Chuck says:

Good to see the team weather the initial Caps onslaught and get their skates under them after the first period. In fact, from a little after the mid-point of the 1st they just got stronger as the game rolled along.

My three stars:

1. Jaro Spacek

2. Hall Gill

3. Pleks with the OT winner!

Ok, we caught them with their pants sem-around-their-ankles in game 1; game two is going to be an even bigger test.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

73. Clay4bc says:

Well, surprise, surprise. The Habs came to play like we knew thay could (but feared they wouldn’t) – at least from the second period on. After getting dominated early, they actually at times dominated the Caps. No one took a shift off from the second period on. What it really boils down to is that our best players were our best players…Cammy, Gio, Pleks, Markov – Even MAB, AK, Gill and Pouliot stepped up their game. Spacek was a machine out there – and the list goes on…. As well, our role players did what they were supposed to do.

But honourable mention has to go to Halak, who, with his 45 saves, gets his first playoff win in rather spectacular fashion. That is the one area where I was not surprised…

We need to play harder next game though – and right from the beginning this time.

_________________

74. Clay4bc says:

Wow, I know you’re not that crazy about Halak, Chuck…but 45 saves merits a star in my books any day of the week. Whatever floats your boat, though.

_________________

75. notbigbird says:

I’m with you Boone. I predicted a shellacking last night. Mind you, if they had potted a few in the first period it still would have been. But WE came back well and as I watching the game, I kept thinking this is not last years team. Can you even imagine that scenario?

76. Chuck says:

Actually, I thought that Theo stepped it up and played a technically better game; he may have overplayed Cammy a little bit on the first goal, but didn’t have a chance on the second and Pleks sniped the inside of the post on the third. His rebound control was very good, stayed square to the shooter, and he played “soft”, which is good for a goalie.

Halak had a very good game and stopped everything that he could (not a great view on the first goal and God wouldn’t have stopped the second) especially shining early on in the game. But he’s played better games, and if not for the odd lucky bounce wide of the net, we wouldn’t be talking about his 45-save win.

Aside from the number of shots that he faced, he was the second-best goalie in this game. Spacek and Gill, on the other hand, were otherworldly. And I’d find it tough to deny a star to the guy that wins it for you in overtime.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

77. nightmare_49 says:

…  Efficient Dogs beat Moose 2-0 … by Gary McKay / Hamilton Spectator …..  http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/753864

78. larrymills says:

Thankyou Jose 3 or 4

79. nightmare_49 says:

… Washington’s Take:  Friday Caps Clips: Habs Strike First / Japers’ Rink  ……………..  A stunning beginning: Caps drop opener … Capital Insider / Tarik El-Bashir …..  http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/

80. wall2bay says:

Boone: You did get another thing right…..Last night proved Sid the Kid is better than Ovie. But we’ll forgive u for all the other stuff.

Brian Burke = Overrated Loud Mouth POS

81. StevieRay says:

EAT MY WORDS !!!   … well done boys !

82. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m off to see the Bulldogs game Saturday afternoon I think, anyone else in the Hamilton area thinking of getting a taste of AHL playoff action?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

83. fun police says:

first of all, from the midway point of the game, the canadiens were the better team and the caps were lucky to get to overtime.  i know it is only one game, but many on here owe gainey an apology.  gill was awesome, spacek was awesome, as was gomez, gionta and cammy.

84. ed lopaz says:

a couple of thoughts:

1) something is wrong with ovechkin; clearly he is not himself – and i don’t think it had much to do with Gill, Gorges, and Spacek, as much as it has to do with Ovechkin

2) I thought Spacek and Hamrlik were so horrible in the first period – then, they managed to pull it together – good for them; I will give credit where credit is due

3) No way Spacek is the “Monster” of the night – that honour should have gone to Gomez – when his team was down 2-1, he took the puck from behind our net, through the neutral zone and started and finished the tying goal – that goal was unexepected, and he saved our bacon

4) Picking up Dominic Moore, Mathiew Darche, and Tom Pyatt – has made our 3rd and 4th lines extremely clever, fast skating, excellent on the forecheck, and downright effective – habs management should be commended for these 3 moves

5) Mike Boone is no dunce!!

85. topher5468 says:

One playoff win to me, does not allow BG off the hook. Yes this team has the ability to win some games but I think we all witnessed what the grind of a 82 game season did do this smaller team (Injuries are a part of the game) and we’ll have to wait to see what the grind of a playoff series will do to them. I ever said they weren’t talented but I think they need a bit more size and grit, but thats just my Opinion

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

86. Chris says:

The bad news:

Washington played as bad a game as we are likely to see from them in this playoff round. Apart from Backstrom (who was the best player on the ice), Washington’s stars laid an egg: Ovechkin was terrible, Semin was impatient all night and played like he didn’t care and Green was pretty invisible on offence while struggling defensively. The Capitals WILL be better in the rest of the games, so the Habs had best be prepared.

The good news:

Montreal did not play all that well either, but they played well enough to win and that is the important thing. It is also cause for optimism, as I would have been far more worried if they won in overtime last night after playing a magnificent game, as it would show that they had little more to give.

I thought the defence played very well, keeping most of the action to the outside. The lack of footspeed on the Habs’ blue line almost bit them a few times, and I do expect the Capitals to attack the Habs zone with speed as the series goes on, but for this game they mostly conceded shots from range that Jaroslav Halak will stop if he can see them.

Gionta was great, but I was less sold on Gomez throughout the game. He DID salvage the win for the Habs with his beautiful end-to-end rush and drew a penalty on another nice rush, but he’s got to ramp up the consistency. Still far too many instances where he coughed up the puck or lost the one-on-one battles that a veteran player of his skill needs to win. Plekanec had an average game that obviously got elevated with his OT heroics.  And Cammalleri showed signs of life last night…I thought he and Gionta were the Habs’ most consistent threats last night.

I am one of those that had the Capitals in five. I still think they will win the series, but if the Habs can finally find some consistency, they can of course beat pretty much any team in the league.

Regardless of what happens on Saturday, the Habs have already got their split. But it would obviously be crucial for them to get a two game lead on the Capitals while they are sleeping.

87. jbroderi says:

theo played well, to be honest.   we hope its only downhill for him from here

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

88. ed lopaz says:

1 last thing – and then I’m off.

many are crediting Bob Gainey for our 1 playoff win.

please ask yourself the following questions when you give Bob “credit”

1) would halak have played last night under Bob Gainey? not likely, right? halak was not being given a chance to establish himself under the Gainey regime

2) did Bob bring in Moore, or call up Pyatt and Darche to the big leagues – that credit goes to PG – as i said, I think those 3 guys have changed the “pace” with which this team skates and moves

and we have won 1 playoff game folks. – its true we should be excited and I am – and I guess compared to the 4 and out last year and the 4 out the year before, 1 win is excellent – but I’ll reserve my condraulations for Gainey once we have actually won a full series.

Gainey was one of the greatest hockey players in the history of the game – not one of the game’s great GM’s.

89. JF says:

The CBC’s take was that the Habs “stole” game 1.  After the first period, where Halak kept us in it, I thought we outplayed them, with the tone being set by some dominant shifts from our third and fourth lines.  We were faster, more aggressive, and more determined.  I barely recognized the team we saw floundering last week and grabbing two lousy loser points against non-playoff teams.  The RDS guys interviewed Kirk Muller during the intermission between the first and second periods, asking him what he’d like to see the team do differently.  He said he’d like them to be more aggressive, and it seems they got the message.  Keys were our speed, the way we dogged Ovechkin all night and kept him pretty well out of it, and an aggressive forecheck.  When we got behind their D and worked the puck off the boards, we were extremely dangerous, and, had it not been for Theo, would have potted a couple in the second period.  All our Cup-winning veterans played huge games, and guys who have struggled recently, like Cammy and Pouliot, found their game last night.  Lapierre, who had a good end to the season, played like he did last year, and Dominic Moore looked like a dynamo out there.

If Bruce Bpoudreau was in a bad mood yesterday, he must have been in a worse one last night.  Most analysts predicted Washington would sweep or win in 5, and they gave the Caps the advantage in just about all categories except goaltending; and even there, they were reluctant to give the Habs a clear advantage because of Theo’s second-half record and Jaro’s lack of playoff experience.  For game 1 they were all wrong.  Our special teams outplayed theirs, our goaltending was better, our defense more solid, and JM outcoached Bruce Boudreau.  If we can play the same way in subsequent games, it’ll be a great series, but look for the Caps to come out ferociously on Saturday.  We need to give Ovechkin the same treatment we did last night; he’s a player who does not react well if things don’t go his way, and he might start taking dumb penalties or making dirty hits if he gets really frustrated.  I think his ego is big enough that he needs to be a star, and preventing that will tilt the series our way.

Overall, we played a great game and planted some seeds of doubt in the minds of the Caps, which could give us a psychological advantage.  Whatever happens on Saturday, we’ve won a game in their building and will go home with no worse than a split, which is what every underdog team wants.

90. ManApart says:

Without Halak’s great play, forget this game. forget this playoffs, forget this season. If he’s not the 1st star. he’s one of them for sure.

91. jbroderi says:

MAB looked better in his own end than green, thats for sure.  MAB would have a ton of points on that team too.

Beware of the MAB, not just on offense, but defense!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

92. RJ says:

GREAT POINT about Jaro. No, he would not have been given a chance under Gainey.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

93. Chuck says:

Halak was, by his standards, average. Stopped a lot of shots, yes… but his technique has been much better in many games this season.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

94. Chuck says:

I don’t know if I’d use the word “awful”, but I’d probably use “inconsistent”. Last night Halak was textbook on a few rebounds (he’s best with his blocker) in steering them to a corner or absorbing enough of the shot’s energy so that it drops within easy reach of his trapper. Other times, though… not so much. How does a rebound end up back at the blue line so that the point guy can take another shot?!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Your right about someone turning on a switch Fred. It was an amazing transformation.

96. tony d says:

Mike I can’t believe you used the words ‘time and space’…. I almost ran to get a drink, but I was eating cereal.

97. Rugger says:

Gotta disagree on Ovie, only saw 2nd period onward, but he had no space whatsoever, he was taking his shots but there was always a stick or a body in the way.  The Habs D did a great job boxing him in.

98. punkster says:

Yes, for heaven’s sake people don’t express your delight or pride. Don’t enjoy this victory. Don’t allow this one amazing game to brighten your day. Mustn’t be happy.

99. HotHabs says:

If all you want is feel-good optimism, switch to the Disney channel.

Fans come in all forms, and many will voice their joys and their frustrations along with personal opinion and critique.

100. PrimeTime says:

So pessimism turns to optimism today. What a difference a win can make to the mental psyche of the Commentariat. It continues to amaze me that so-called fans can bash their team after every loss and then sing their praises after a hard fought win. The Habs far from dominated last night but there have very few games this year in which they did but somehow still made the playoffs. This team has character and heart out the wazoo.

Credit Halak for holding fort in the 1st and his D for helping him keep them in it early. Someone must have said or done something midway through the 2nd because suddenly the game changed and our Forwards found their legs, built some confidence, and WAS began to lose moxie. As long as we can keep their offense frustrated getting sticks into passing lanes, reducing space and time, and blocking and deflecting shots in our end and then putting pressure on their offensive minded D in their end the Habs will continue to have a chance to win more games. The “lousy no good overpaid” veterans that Gainey brought in showed the reason last night why he did. They led their team in how to play Playoff Hockey. Spacek and Gill were incredible, The “midgets” were fast and could not be caught. The ever-bashed MAB is not a prototypical D-man but he cleared the zone well and played his heart out in this win. Too many here look for a “hero” and most have chosen Halak this year but this was a Team win and it will have to remain this way if they are to surprise anymore.

JM deserves a lot of praise in formulating the game plan and getting the players to buy into it and out-coaching Boudreau on their home ice. The players willl have to continue to execute with the same effort in playing their roles if we have a chance to win anymore. Saturday will be a different game but let’s hope JM will make the correct adjustments as needed and they continue to build confidence that they can win and WAS suffers from a lack thereof. Habs still have a huge mountain to climb but at least they know it’s possible and maybe some more fans do now as well.

101. Fred D says:

A few points pro and con, aside from the happy ending:

(1)The camera work for the VERSUS feed was poor.Many times the camera caught up to the puck after the receiving player had already disposed of it.

(2)Our team made some glaring “giveaways” that only Halak saved (44/91)

(3) Spacek, et al, excelled stopping Ovechkin,which was fun to watch.I will be ineterested to see what happens  when the “frustration factor” kicks in and Ovechkin goes “off the wall”.

(4)The most interesting thing was the big case of “nerves” the HABS had in the first period and part way into the second. All of a sudden around the 10 minute mark of the second period, someone turned a switch and it was a different game. The guys started playing hockey.

I trust that the point is made that they can play with anybody, and that the motivation will continue into the next game. We have made a statement and this is going to be a series, not a rollover.

102. Clay4bc says:

It continues to amaze me how some holier than thou people have the audacity to call other fans of the team “so called fans” because they (the “so called” ones) don’t say the same thing as you want them to say, or think what you want them to think. How arrogant.

_________________

103. Clay4bc says:

No need to even answer…Priceberg here (AKA Smokin Aces, and 100 other names) is just upset that Halak played well.

_________________

104. HugeHabsFan says:

Couldn’t agree more JF.  Great read.

……….. “Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

105. PrimeTime says:

I’ll take the advise of your Signature.

Bipolar or Manic-Depressive Disorder is a disease than can treated.

106. Clay4bc says:

*facepalm*…*shakes head in disbelief* (palm still firmly on face)

_________________

107. RJ says:

Who the blank cares about technical goaltending — Halak stopped nearly 50 shots and won? What do you want buddy?

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

108. Clay4bc says:

Great – as no one was arguing – merely pointing out your arrogance is all.

_________________

109. punkster says:

Neither HI/O camp is being “realistic” at this time and both believe they have a right to express their optimism or pessimism. I prefer the positive view. Never liked wet blankets masked as realists. No offence intended.

110. Bob Barker says:

Gainey probably would have done a few things differently given the chance but he did put the core of this team together.

He brought in Gomez who was full value last night. If he continues to play like that the rest of the playoffs then  I believe his contract is justifiable. That goal he scored showcased how he can be elite.

Gainey brought in Spacek who was our best defender last night. Gill was great as well.

Gainey traded a non-productive Latendresse for Pouliot, who played a strong game.

MAB makes our PP a lot more dangerous and he played his best game defensively.

Cammalleri and Gionta skated hard and both played a strong game.

Halak who was ridiculously good, had already been starting a lot more games when Gainey decided to step down.

I like the team this year way more than last year’s team and Gainey deserves the bulk of the credit.

111. Sbah Reverof says:

While I’m not ready yet to concede the series to the Habs, I think they were by far the better team after the first period and throughout the rest of the game. We’ve all known that this team can play with the best of them when it wants to.

The only question in my mind is, which team will show up next game, and for the remainder of the series? Consistency, above all else, will be key in the playoffs.

I also thought JM wore a decent tie, for once.

“I respect your opinion, but you’re completely wrong!”

112. C-Dawg says:

Of course they say we “stole” the game…c’mon, in their eyes we had 3 strikes against us before the game even started….

1. We’re Montreal, not Toranna

2. CBC isn’t showing this series

3. We’re the # 8 seed playing the # 1 team in the NHL.

But hey, look at the source… they are Loaf fans, they pay Don Cherry tons of money to spew mouthfuls of BS, and are an embarrassment compared to the product they produced as recently as the early to mid 90’s.

The win last night was a complete team effort, with no floaters playing for the road team. While there were momentum shifts for both teams, if you look at the entire game, we played them evenly throughout. I got nervous in OT when they opened up and started playing run-and-gun, as I thought it played into the Caps strengths, but, it worked, and you have to give Props to JM and the entire team.

The Caps will come out on fire next game, and you have to think Boudreau will be telling the team to set up Ovie early and get that “first shot” over with before it becomes a mental thing for him and the frustration causes him to do something stupid. But, if we can play good team defense and weather the first 5-10 minutes like we did in Game #1, there’s no reason we can’t head back to Montreal up 2-0

113. joeybarrie says:

Versus has the worst camera work, and placement. Its very very difficult to watch, and I hate it.

How in the hell did Spach not get a star?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

114. HotHabs says:

I’m being picky, but MAB had 3 SOG… and aside from his 1st period penalty he played a pretty confident game.

115. Kristopher7 says:

It was Halak that won it. If they win the cup they’re purely riding him to it. Don’t berate him at all imo.

116. PrimeTime says:

Then, as usual, you have missed on the purpose of this site. Let me guess your game opinion Halak worshipper….Oh ya, that’s all ya got.

Bipolar or Manic-Depressive Disorder is a disease than can treated.

117. PrimeTime says:

I think your hero would be the first to argue that opinion.

Bipolar or Manic-Depressive Disorder is a disease than can treated.

118. Clay4bc says:

I’m a little confused about the USA coverage…I watched the ESPN America feed here in Shanghai (internet feed), so how can both they and VERSUS show the same national telecast?

BTW…ESPN did a fairly good job, and as a bonus had no Pierre MaGuire (sp?).

_________________

119. joeybarrie says:

The thing is this. We have the lead. We can come back to Montreal no worse than 1-1 and they are afraid of our hometown fans getting into Theo’s head. THEO is afraid of the fans getting into his head. He has already shown this with his, Tomas Jagr??? I don’t know him, it’s not like I played on the same team with him in 2003-2004 team and again in 2006…

Does this mean we will win the series??? FAR FROM IT. But it does mean we can and will compete. Most thought this would be a blowout. Most on this site are eating their words, and I hope they arent full, because I imagine they will eat some more… You remember when they scored the second goal, how many people said GAME OVER. Well it shows what you know. Those saying it would be ugly……Well its only ugly here in DC…

We played well, and we show we picked up the players that can beat ANYONE. Can we do it evey night? Not yet. But we can win this series. That’s all that matters. Not even that we WIN this series, but we can.

So let’s just enjoy the moment. And the fact that there are still at least 4 more games for us this season.

GO HABS GO…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

120. BeachHabFan says:

inre: (3) – i have a feeling ovie is going to run over a few white shirts in the next game to try to wake himself up (it works for AK46 too), he tried it once in the overtime (pushing 2 d-men and the goalie into the net). i’m just hoping nobody gets injured, or if its Gionta, that ovie gets the worst of it.

121. Clay4bc says:

- See below for my opinion on the game…

- And if I get what you are saying, the purpose of this site is to display arrogance and to disparage others. I do not think that is the purpose…

- And last, but not least… “Halak worshipper”? Is that supposed to be an insult? Surely you can do better than that?

_________________

122. Natrous says:

I still believe that O’B should take MAB’s place in the roster, based on the fact that MAB’s greatest strength has been pretty much neutralized for the past few weeks.

I’d rather have a big d-man who can hit and play defensively than a little d-man who can’t do what he does offensively and is a liability on the back-end.

The Habs D is too soft without a physical presence like O’Byrne to give opposing forwards something to think about. Until Gill steps up and learns how to throw a hip check, the Montreal zone will be the easiest one to penetrate of all 16 teams remaning.

123. WAR72 says:

what a game…

go habs!

124. WAR72 says:

with all due respect. we won.

if it aint broke…

125. PureGuava says:

Your sad revisionist history is truly classless fella. Halak (or his agent) has never at any time stated that he wished to leave, only that he wished to play, and the entire hockey community, and the majority of the fanbase would like him to do so here. Price does not even begin to compare with Halak in any category! I don’t see any of you complaining when Ben Maxwell gets scratched to ice a player that is less of a liability…

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

126. PureGuava says:

Honestly dude, you’re like the one remaining member of the “Carey Price Fanclub” still trolling up these boards. We don’t hate Price! – we all just feel more confident with him NOT in net! – Halak stopped 45 shots last night and kept us in the game until the team showed up. Who cares about Price? We won. Get over it.

Maybe the president of “The David Cassidy Fanclub” needs a replacement, or you could find a chatroom somewhere and compare notes on the “Twilight Saga”, or discuss “Justin Beiber”lyrics with the rest of your friends…

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

127. Hammer says:

Only watched bits and pieces but I do have a comment on Ovy. He may have not had his greatest game, but it is not from lack of trying. From what I saw he tries to do too much. If it was not for him trying to do the |” Jagr” on Gomez, and instead just put his stick in there, he doesn’t get out of position and more than like ly the plays ove. In overtime, he is exhausted by probably staying on the ice too long, and lets Pleks sneak by. If i am his coach i would try to reign him in and tell him to stick to short shifts and to quit skating around like Eddie Shack.

128. naweed235 says:

a few questions for you guys:

1. What was
    you reaction when you saw that there was no call when Gionta was taken
    down on a break-away in OT?

2. Do you think the reffs would’ve
    called it if it was a WSH player?

3. Do yiu think JackyMart would
    have just swollowed his tongue and not say anything if the caps scored
    on the rush right after the take down?

4. is there anyway that if
    our team complains to the NHL about this, it would work in our favor for
    the next games to come?

129. SPATS says:

We’re witnessing the beginning of the end of Ovy’s dominance. We’re showing (and have been for a while) the rest of the league how to defend against him. He’s completely frustrated and trying to carry the team. Give it up Ovy, your jump the shark moment came when you hit Jagr in Feb.

130. Chorske says:

Patrick Marleau will be just as important a centre as Pleks in the free agent market this summer.¸

Somehow, I don’t find that particularly reassuring…

131. Mike Boone says:

The Toronto game was depressing

132. Danno says:

I hear PJ Stock is taking applications for his fanclub’s president’s job.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

133. Chorske says:

1. I thought the refs had put their whistles away, which I actually think works FOR us, not against us, because WE are the team with the tendency to take stupid late game penalties (right, Mr Kostitsyn?).

2. No, the whistles were swallowed

3. I can’t even read the question

4. Complain to whom? And about what? There were 4 calls against MTL, 4 against WSH; there was ONE PPG, and WE scored it. Explain to me how this screams “conspiracy” to you.

134. JD_ says:

Washington Capitals” -> “Two hassling captain

Hassling the captain, indeed.

Find it hard to believe that Ovie was held to only one SOG in only one game this entire season, although he did register an assist during that January 19th matchup against Detroit. Find it even harder to believe this is the first time in his career that Ovie has been held pointless and shotless in a game. I’m too lazy to check, but apparently this is the case.

Jaro taking away Ovie’s time and spacek.

Not to say the Caps fell apart in view of their leader’s fall-short effort – they did outshoot the Habs – but, mister man, that was some decent divide & conquer hockey. And the other Jaro did the rest.

And what can you say about Tomas Jagr demonstrating that Theo isn’t Miller nor Brodeur (in his prime, of course). That’s the stuff of playoff head games. I’m all for l’il Tomas growing out his mullet in time for Saturday’s game. And adopting the goal salute.

Great, gutsy Habs’ performance from the second period on.

And, so, the Washington Capitals Meltdown 2010 (TM) continues. Disputes, dissension, dysfunction, dyssentry, it’s all there. On-ice incidents, off-ice incidents, incidents as they’re getting on and off the ice. The cause is hopeless. Time for them to roll up into a fetal ball of self-loathing and go home.

To wit:

* During the game, Bruce Boudreau flipped on Ovie in a scene reminiscent of Pierre Page going cuckoo for cocoa puffs all over Mats Sundin. The two won’t make it to next week without something heavy going down, something real heavy. It just screams restraining order.

* During his post-game interview, Boudreau called out his star player. Strike that: He s*** down Ovie’s throat. This follows Boudreau’s Travis Bickle Rant’n’Rave (TM) in front of the media yesterday morning and an emerging axis-of-I-hate-you engulfing Ovie, Theo, and Steckel. On veut du ketchup! On veut du ketchup!

* Based on his post-game interview, it’s clear Ovie doesn’t realize this is a seven-game series and thinks this is a repeat of the Canada-Russia elimination round blowout. Word is he had to be intercepted at the airport as he was on his way to his summer place in Minsk.

Melting down like a Kraft slice on a trailer hitch in July.

135. Chorske says:

Attaboy. I gotta turn this frown upside down.

Maybe I’m just grumpy cos I picked Ovechkin in my playoff pool? ;)

136. SeriousFan09 says:

1. More or less, what a load of ****ing BS and total outrage.

2. Probably.

3. Unfortunately yes, he’s not a very reactive coach to thsose things.

4. Nah, the NHL wants the Capitals to win and advance.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

137. SeriousFan09 says:

Clutch Goals scored by Pleks so far: 1

Clutch Goals scored by Marleau so far: 0

Betting right now Tommy Jagr comes out on top :)

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

138. Bob_Sacamano says:

“Boudreau is preparing something big”

He still is? I saw the press conference and he should really have gone afterwards.

139. naweed235 says:

im not saying its a conspiracy but an obvious take down like that on a break-away chance deserves atleast 2 mins in my book …

140. Exit716 says:

The Caps player actually hit the puck first before Gionta fell.

141. BienvenueSurLaPasserelle says:

I was extremely impressed by the way the 3rd and 4th lines played. Against a bigger and stronger Washington defense and 3rd-4th forward lines, they won one-on-one battles, especially in the Capitals’ end. They deserved to pot one! Jaro was brilliant, notably in the 1st. The top 2 lines played the way they are capable of.

However, while Martin’s change of tactics from the 1st to the 2nd completely changed the dynamic of the game, we were still rather sloppy in our own end. On both Caps goals, a brutal turnover led to them scoring. In both cases, it wasn’t so much the way they defended after the turnover (Corvo’s goal was a seeing eye shot, and Backstroms was a laser, nothing Jaro could do about either), but instead the way the turnover happened. Rather than clearing the puck off the glass, we got cute, and the puck stayed in our zone. It happened a few other times, and we just cannot do that against such a skillful team.

Nevertheless, huge win! The split is in the bag, but let’s get another!!

_____________________ To You From Failing Hands We Throw The Torch, Be Yours To Hold It High.

142. keepthefaith says:

Hey Boone, glad you can admit it, unlike most.  That last post after Toronto game was depressing man, glad to see you are back.

143. Will Longlade says:

OV might have the keys to the city and be able to borrow the Prez’s chair, but the Habs have a secret weapon. TURTLENECK POWER!

144. Habscore says:

Wow!! I love our Boys and what a game!!!! I woke up with a big smile today..and with this rainy day, am going to work with a super-great mood! Woooooo!!!

-Man, you can’t miss Gom, Gio and Gill’s playoff experience. These guys were playing last night

-Saw motivation & determination from the boys

-WE should be even more grateful and proud to have such a goalie!!

Realistically, we gotta be ready for the next game, Caps surely won’t be easy to play against. Boudreau is preparing something big, and the Caps will come out HUGE no doubt!.

On that note… GO HABS F’KIN GO!!!

Have a wonderful day everyone!!! :)

145. megagoten says:

time to upgrade servers? i couldn’t access the site yesterday.. and eventually gave up

146. Thomas Le Fan says:

Pah! I know Habs fans sir and you are no Habs fan. The Crapitols can mangez le merde to satisfy that hunger.

How do stop the friggin’ italics, by the way???

147. HabFanSince72 says:

Well, H I/O folks, you have one day left to strut around like we won the Cup because we eked out a win in one game.

I think the Caps are going to be very hungry tonight.

I fully expect the return of the  “JM is a moron” style rants tomorrow.

148. HABdriven says:

Tried to post after the game last night, but couldn’t access the site by the time I settled down after almost waking up the entire neighbourhood.  The Habs victory was nothing short of stunning, and well deserved.  They can win this series, and they proved it last night.  WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!  GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

149. joeybarrie says:

Crosby 4 points. Ovechkin 0 points. We gotta keep it that way. I can’t wait for tomorrow…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

150. Thomas Le Fan says:

So … who’s calling the Crapitols in … five now?

151. HAB-a-dabba says:

To speak so flippantly about other people and their opinions is truly classless. Anyone who has even a modicum of respect for the team should be able to see that “BOTH” of these goalies are worthy of play here, but I remind you.

Yaro and his agent at the beginning of the year were very plain with fans and management alike. Yaro wants to leave, and I for one wish him well; but I expect to see Montreal get what they should for the inflated value he has created for us. Price is very good, and matches Yaroslav in all categories when compared game for game, but anyways.

I will be a Habs fan forever, and I will hope for better comments on this forum.

“The drive for 25 won’t be a cake walk, but the team is up to the challenge.
    Let’s GO-HABS-GO!!!”

152. cautiousoptimist says:

Funny how P.J. Stock says we didn’t deserve the win.  Does anyone think he even deserves his job?

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
    2. Mike Boone: “With Gainey at my side, I’d walk into any dark alley in the
      world.”
  153. Chorske says:

As always, funny and accurate.

Still: WAY too early to crow victory. If we can survive the inevitable push-back first period tomorrow night, and if our usual rope-a-dope game of letting the opposition wear themselves out shooting at Jaro doesn’t backfire, maybe, MAYBE then, I will believe.

154. SPATS says:

Is Markov really this good?  I’m stunned at how well his other blue line half rises to the occasion when paired with him. Remember Komi? BG knew he was nothing without Marky… MAB will fetch big bucks if this continues.

155. Chorske says:

Putting on my Eeyore cap for a second: our biggest playoff heroes thus far are not under contract for next year.

That’s it. You may now return to your Te Deums.

156. JD_ says:

Yeah, but I was crowing victory from the start and if I’m anything, it’s consistent.

You know me, C. If the Habs had gone down in a blaze of fire last night, I probably would have laid it on twice as thick this morning.

157. Habscore says:

Are you serious? or should I say is he freking serious?

The first 15 min we struggled or didn’t show up… but we did play for the rest of the game.

With the way we played during the end of the third period and the OT, we surely deserved the WIN..

We got so many chances, but no luck….Plus, our goals weren’t dirty greasy ones. IMO, hell! our goals were a thing of beauty!!!

158. HabFanSince72 says:

1. I thought here we go again – no calls in OT. Upon seeing the replay I think it was a close call.

2. No. Don’t be paranoid.

3. Yes. Complaining about the refs is for losers.

4. See number 3.

159. mbplekfan says:

I would suspect that Halak’s play of late has made the trading of Carey Price an almost certainty.

Plekanec’s play has set him up for a big payday, either in Mtl or elsewhere, as he will attract a lot of attention from other teams. He is basically the #1 free agent center available this summer. Not a good situation for the habs.

160. Danno says:

Italics are like the Habs are now. Once they start, you cannot stop them.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

161. ABHabsfan says:

PJ Stock is a frigging idiot who made a short career out of bouncing his face off other guys’ fists. Isn’t he from MTL? |I would be afraid to leave the house if I were him. His comments and terrible hockey analysis is an embarrassment to the CBC.

162. ABHabsfan says:

163. jbroderi says:

We all know he fits in with cbc..  No one there could analyze anything!!  Milbury, Cherry, Stock, Healy.  When Kelly HHHHRudey makes the most sense, you know that your programming is in need of serious change!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

164. ClaytonM says:

In fairness to PJ stock, he’s contractually obligated to talk trash against The Canadiens. The CBC insists upon it when signing any new analyst, which is why Carbo only does colour commentary  :)

If you think this is an incorrect statement, please tell me 1 guy who’s worked for the CBC for the last 20 years who’s rooting for Montreal.  When we made the playoffs on the last game of the season, Bob “sfb” Cole sounded like there was a death in the family.  Milbury goes on record stating his hatred for The Canadiens.  Ron MacLean makes a living of not discussing our team and changing the topic when we’ve shown any success.  Cherry is the most fair, and what does that tell you?

165. jbroderi says:

He is!!  A triple layer BLT and two racks of ribs for supper..    I apologize, but I can say it because I am a bit chubby!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

166. DearyLeary says:

Uh, Spacek, Gomez, Gionta, Camalleri, Markov…

167. Bob Barker says:

That assist was ridiculous by Crosby. He switched directions like 4 times. He’s got crazy lower body strength.

168. captaink4life says:

I was thinking the same thing as I watched the game last night. He played incredibly, so great to watch. He has so much poise with the puck it’s uncanny. As for MAB he started off a little sluggish but I think Markov’s puck moving skills were rubbing off on him because he played a great second half.

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

169. CHsam says:

thumbs up, babe!

170. Danno says:

Mister Boone, the only way to redeem yourself is to apologize profusely. That, and maybe another free ticket contest :-)

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

171. Chorske says:

None came out bigger than the two I mention, tho.

Hey, allow me to indulge my inner Timo, for five minutes, will ya ;)

172. scott9002ca says:

Its too bad Montreal is playing the caps. Theyre the only other team I want to go all the way. I really do hate every other team in the eastern conference in the playoffs. god forbid the stupid penguins make it to the finals again

173. Chorske says:

You are SUCH a Superfan

174. DearyLeary says:

Shot answer, yes, Markov is that good.

175. Chris says:

Here is the list of starting goalies that have won the Stanley Cup in the last 10 seasons:

Fleury, Osgood, Giguere, Ward, Khabibulin, Brodeur, Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and Turco.

Here is the list of goalies that lost in the finals:

Osgood, Fleury, Emery, Roloson, Kiprusoff, Giguere, Irbe, Brodeur, Turco and Hasek.

For those keeping track, 9 different goalies have won the Stanley Cup in 10 seasons.  13 different goalies (of a possible 20) have made the finals over the same time period.

If Jaro Halak or Carey Price win a Stanley Cup with a different team, it will be because they were in the right place at the right time.  Other than that, anybody who thinks they can predict future TEAM success of any goalie is delusional.

176. Will Longlade says:

Although I hope that Halak can maintain his high level of performance during the playoffs, stating that trading Price is almost a certainty is a little premature IMO. I think the team’s braintrust will take a wait and see approach to that question and also the issue of whether to keep Pleks or any of the team’s other UFA’s and RFA’s. That’s the most prudent approach. Furthermore, there are other factors that frequently impact on the decision making process, so the result is far from clear based on performance alone. For example, what return can a player fetch from other teams, can the team move an unwanted contract, what’s the salary cap etc. etc.? It’s a dynamic, constantly evolving environment, making it hard to predict what will eventually transpire.

177. Chris says:

I still am.  Sports predictions are pretty much the most ridiculous thing in the world to engage in, but once you’ve done it you should have the decency to stick by your ridiculousness.  ;)

178. habsnation says:

Markov’s hockey sense is increadible. That in short, is what makes him so good and allows him to make everyone around him better. And yes, he is THAT good

179. SeriousFan09 says:

The Markov effect is known to double a player’s value in free agency.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

m – I think Halak’s stellar play means he’s gets to start in games two and three regardless of the outcome. The future can look after itself.

181. PureGuava says:

What a truly sad man you are.

182. Chuck says:

And make sure that those oars are all pulling in the same direction, too.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

183. 100HABS says:

No stars on our team? I’m sorry, but even if Markov played in Pheonix, he would still be considered a star. Excellent defensively and unquestionably one of the best offensive defencemen in the league today. That is a star.

100Habs – I thought about including Markov but his play hasn’t been over the top this year. He’s had some ordinary games throughout the season.  Very good but not always stellar.  I’m probably being too picky.

I still think my overall point is valid.  This team needs everyone rowing with their oars in the water at the same time.

185. Chorske says:

Urgh, so the smart play is dumping it in, most of the time? I don’t tend to agree with THAT.

186. DearyLeary says:

It is when he gives the puck up whenever he triest to carry it.

187. Chorske says:

Didn’t see it that way. If he was coughing it up, it was during the first, when the entire team was coughing it up and being generally inept.

188. DearyLeary says:

Then you’re not paying much attention to Moore’s game.  When he’s backchecking, dumping and chasing, and being an all around **** disturber is when Moore’s at his best.  When he’s trying to be Wayne Gretzky it’s painful to watch, and becomes a turnover fest.  Leave the slick passing to Gionta and Gomez.

189. Mike Boone says:

Higgins had the potential to become a Bob Gainey. Too bad he thought he was Steve Shutt.

190. habs fan from stonyplain says:

just looking at the caps blog and they are showing no class it was all ovie and not mtl why he didnt get a shot on goal last night.  Also their coach saying how bad they played, actually they played good it was Halak and Spatch why they could’nt score.  Mr. Boone was right the only system they have is opening and closing the door on the bench.Moore was the reason we got better a perfect third line center.

191. Mike Boone says:

Moore was a brilliant pick-up. Speed + skill + four years at Harvard = a guy who makes intelligent hockey plays.

192. Jbell10 says:

Have you changed your prediction on the outcome of the series?

193. krob1000 says:

He seems to be what Higgins should have tried and be….but somewhere along the way Higgins, another smart, speedy guy with some skill and an Ivy league education decided he was going to be a 40 goal scorer….too bad because he could have been a great third liner…..I would feel bad but it appears we now have a great third liner…and Moore is far grittier than Higgins and never brings a lazy effort to anything or visibly beats himself up on the ice…or in the interviews after the game. I am very content with Moore and I hope he stays on with us….a second rounder may have been steep on paper at the time but it sure doesn’t look that way now…it may again if we lose him but I am satisfied regardless now having seen Moore and the professionalism he brings to his role….he has a very simple seeming yet cerebral defense first game that he plays with an energy and enthusiasm that has got to be contagious on the ice.

194. Chris says:

To be fair, it wasn’t just Higgins that had dreams of being Steve Shutt.  After his surprise scoring touch in his first full season, the team brass, the media and we fans all joined Higgins himself in thinking that he could become a two-way winger potentially capable of 30-40 goals.

We all got caught up in that early promise and forgot that he had never really been an elite scorer at any level before the NHL.

195. captaink4life says:

It was Semin!!

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

196. DearyLeary says:

I don’t tend to agree.  If he were to make the smart play and dump it in most of the time he’d be great.  I can count tonnes of Dominic Moor giveaways last night that infuriated me to no end, because the guy thinks he’s a skill player.

The 1st is key for sure. Even or down by only 1 after the 1st will be OK. Halak has to remain sharp.

198. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

He actually played about a minute more than both Lapierre and Darche. I don’t know who I would sit from that group, so I’d say run with the same lineup.

199. habs fan from stonyplain says:

why bring in ob mab played not bad why change the best game by the habs in two plus years, I would say since we beat the bruins in game 7 of the 2008 playoffs

200. sidhu says:

Question —

Do we go with the same lineup?  Pyatt played the least of any Hab.  Do we sit him out, dress OB, and use 7 D?

201. Mike Boone says:

Pyatt was excellent on the PK.

202. andrewberkshire says:

Despite his not playing much, I liked Pyatt’s game tonight a lot. I say go with the same lineup.

203. Chorske says:

Never mind that we made Umberger look like a superstar.

Can we just forget that Philly series ever happened? I’m kind of barfing in my mouth a little here.

204. Clay4bc says:

We had a playoff team against Philly a couple of seasons ago – just not a playoff goalie. Of course, the jury is still out on whether Jaro is one either, but so far, so good.

_________________

205. 11habs11 says:

exactly, we outplayed philly and would’ve beat them if price had played better. i’m pretty sure if we can outplay the caps for the rest of the series we should win

206. Chuck says:

We were “Umberger Helper”, if you will.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

207. SeriousFan09 says:

We outplayed Philly to the point where we scored 2 goals on Martin Biron in 3 of the 5 games? Yes, Price started faltering but the PP was laughable in the post-season and we couldn’t light up a guy who’s a marginal starting goalie.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

The decision to dress Bergeron as a full time Dman and go with a natural 4th line was the key to last night’s victory.

I don’t like the fact that we are sitting out O’Byrne but I guess that’s a reality the team must face. 27 minutes on the back-end for Bergeron may not work in every game and the loss of size certainly hurts our cause. But for now, it helped us reverse the momentum of the series.

The Habs did exactly what was needed last night. Kudos to Martin.

209. BeachHabFan says:

excellent point. crashing around the other end meant more towards getting a W than knocking people down in front of our own net (which i had advocated). i think they will dump and crash more next game (if they don’t, good for us!) and MAB/Markov will suffer for it.

210. dhenry1234 says:

don’t get too over-confident fellow hab fans. Remember when we played the Flyers a couple seasons ago in the second round? We won the first game in overtime, then went on to lose the next 4 to end the series. Habs have to continue to do what they did good in game 1.

If you were to ask me this time yesterday if the habs would win the series I would say that the only way they could is by a miracle. Ask me the same question again today and I’ll give you the same answer. But trust me, Miracles have happened before and montreal has the ghosts to help them out with this miracle.’

GO HABS GO!

211. BeachHabFan says:

at this point, the series can wait a day. i’m just glad i had fun watching a playoff game for the first time in 4 or 5 years

dh – Historically, the visiting, underdog team needs to gain a split on the road in order to gain some ground in the series.  I think the Habs need to win both games in Washington if they hope to steal the series.  We certainly stand a chance as long as we don’t get blown out in the first period on Saturday.

The key will be to stay away from dumb penalties.  Both Green and Backstrom took needless penalties last night which is something we can’t afford to do.  We have no stars on our team (outside of Halak) so every player has to contribute at the highest level for the specified role that they have on the team.  Any cracks in the wall will lead to an opening for Washington who have the firepower to capitalize on the situation.

213. Mr.Hazard says:

All they’re saying is “ahead of schedule”… Must be going on 3 weeks, now? I’d expect him back in max 5 weeks.

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

I wonder how far along he is with his rehab?

215. RJ says:

What a game GIONTA played last night!!!

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

216. Jbell10 says:

Thats exciting hockey! Great playoff game. Even better that the Habs played like a team on a mission. The Game Plan was executed to perfection.

Everyone knew their role and shut their mouth.

Props to the whole team. DOUBLE props to Halak Spacek MAB Cammy (for his ice breaker) and Pleks (AKA Tomas Jagr).

Dont call the parade company yet. Long way to go on the yellow brick road.

217. DearyLeary says:

I’ve been saying it all along, Washington is the type of team that’s
    built to be upset.  Look no further than Boudreau’s ‘I only coach seven
    game series’ record.  They’ve got an explosive offence, but a suspect
    defence and a questionable keeper (goes for Jose or Varlamov).  Checking
    gets tighter, games get a little sloppier, and while Ovechkin and Co.
    sure know how to be the hammer, they still dont’ quite understand what
    it feels like to be the nail.

If you push the Caps they become
    much less sure of themselves.  This isn’t a size issue, which everyone
    tries to stress, it’s more of a desire issue; desire is something that
    this team does not lack, for the first time in over a decade.  Will
    Gionta and some of the other smaller players get knocked on their ass
    from time to time?  Of course, but the difference between this team and
    past incarnations of our Canadiens, these little beggars are gonna get
    right back up and come at you again.

Ovechkin doesn’t really
    succumb to pressure, as he does get overwhelmed by it.  The more you
    pressure him, and get after him, and get up in his grill, the more he
    wants to do it all himself.  He gets burnt out, physically, and more
    iportantly, mentally.  You’ve seen it in all the big tournaments when he
    starts to face adversity, past NHL playoffs, the Olympics, the World
    Juniors; and as Ovechkin goes, so to do the Caps.

I’m not saying
    we’re gonna win it, but as my post history will prove, we’re gonna take
    Washington to the depths of this series, and we’re still capable of
    winninig it.  Have some faith, and sing high and proud when our boys
    come home.  It’s gonna be a barn burner!

218. SPATS says:

Excellent analysis… the caps are also on the young side and have not had any real pressure on themselves until now. They believe all the hype the local media have been heaping on them….We have a team built on quiet character that doesn’t read the newspapers (or blogs) I like our chances and have said it many time before….Habs in 4

219. SlovakHab says:

That’s why I never bet on sports.. A good game overall, but we were pretty lucky on several occasions. Keep it up, boys!!

220. andrewberkshire says:

Best game in two years? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

221. Rugger says:

Yes, Halak kept us in during the first, but the same could be said for Theo from that point on, the Habs could’ve blown the Caps off the ice in the late 2nd and 3rd.

222. Morenz7 says:

Suggested post-game quote for Pleky: “Miller woulda had that.”

223. Bob Barker says:

lol, that would have been awesome

224. naweed235 says:

WOW HAL MOTHER F#$KING GILL!!! WHAT A BOSS!!!

SCOT THE SPEEDY GOMEZ WOW!!!!

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST MY MOTHER FU#$KING MAN JARO TO THE H TO THE A TO THE L TO THE A TO THE K!!!

225. PureGuava says:

The only thing wrong with Ovechkin is Spacek and Gill. If he was hurt, Boudreux wouldn’t have called him out after the game, or let him play 25 minutes in a nothing game on Sunday for a shot at the scoring race!

Just a thought – our team was built with the playoffs in mind. Spacek, Gill, Gionta, Moen, Gomez – These guys all seem to come alive, or find an extra gear at this time of year. Dominic moore winning every battle he was in last night is worth a 2nd round pick.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

226. krob1000 says:

Two defensive plays stood out to me last night…one was Spacek on the 2 on 1 and the other…and I think the better of the two was Dominic Moore getting back on the rebound to pounce on the stick of whoever it was…the guy then got a fairly weak shot off and couldn’t get the puck up into the open top of the net.  Moore didn’t half ass it either…he slammed down with all of his might and the Cap player still got enough of shot off to score…I think of most of our other forwards try to make that play…it’s a goal…..he did it with 100 percent conviction and that was why they did not score.  The play went unmentioned by Mcguire which surprised the heck out of me as it was totally the type of play he freaks about but instead he went on to say how Halak takes the lower part of the net away so well,etc.  The bottom line is that Moore made a hell of a play on that one and to me it was the difference in the game.

227. Fargo Habs Fan says:

I got my tat between games 1 and 2 of the Philly series, so my tat is now 1-8 in playoff action.  Whew!

-Dustin-

“The good thing about drinking during games is if they lose, you’re too drunk to care during and too hungover to care after.” – J.T.

228. SeriousFan09 says:

So it’s your fault then! Get ‘im boys!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

229. HabsFanInVictoria says:

Big monkey off your back… :)

230. Mr.Hazard says:

Wow that must have sucked!! Immediately after you got it, our 1st-place Habs lost 4 straight and got eliminated from the playoffs!

“love cannot drown truth, Nefertiti”

231. Morocco says:

I got mine today, 1-0!

232. PureGuava says:

Oh drop it already…enjoy the win Carey.

233. Bob Barker says:

You remind me of that guy in Happy Gilmore who’s obsessed with Shooter McGavin. It’s unhealthy to be so obsessed with one player.

I like Price and still think he has a ton of potential but Halak has been great this year and deserves to be number 1.

234. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the last few games of the year were worrisome and frustrating …frustrating ?, because You knew Our Team had WHAT it takes to play much better than the embarrassments against bottom-feeders like Trunna and the Isles …and WHEN playing well AS A TEAM we ARE ‘competitive’ with ANY team in the NHL

…We have no ONE Player to carry Our Team on His back …We have to play ‘ a system’ and TOGETHER As A Team to win hockey games …and THAT happened and came together tonight …just enough to remind an ol’ Fogey of …’Once Upon A Time’

…Ovie played like He slept with 2 Bountiful BeloRussian Babes last night, instead of remembering he had ‘work’ to do tonight …for which the Capitals should hire a Private D i c k to check WHAT Guy Lafleur and Guy Lapointe were UP to yesterday

…Jaro Spacek was My Hero last night playing D like a virtuosa first-violinist …playing D like it was actually an art-form …then there was, of course, the ‘other’ Jaro, Whom seemed like He spent the past few days in seclusion with His Indian Guru …in a dark room, deep-breathing and chanting His mantra …Our Halak Is Back ! …calm and collected

…Tomas Plekanec is a Player, IF I was Our GM, I would NOT be making ANY offers to His agent at this time until the conclusion of Our Playoffs …His overtime goal was though an encouraging argument that Tomas might be ‘close’ to justifying a $ 5 million dollar Player (though, I still need to see IF He can keep-it goin’ throughout)

…I have questioned Jacques Martin’s sanity for sittin’ O’B these past few games …and usually close My eyes everytime MABergeron touches the puck …No !, correct that, I close My eyes everytime I see MAB ON THE ICE ! …My Mea Culpa Marc-Andre …I should know better, …as anyOne Who knows Me knows I believe My Montreal Canadiens will be much closer to the Team Of My Memories IF there were MORE Marc-Andres, Pierres, Jean-Marcs, Yvons, Claudes, Jeans, Maurices, Vincents et Guys …Marc-Andre may not be Serge Savard out there, BUT between His ears He is a lot smarter Hockey Player than OB, …and a better Hockey Player than I have given Him credit for

…what a great late-season acquisition Moore has been …Play-off Hockey is WHAT Moore, Lapierre, Darche and Moen were born for …Pyatt would be dynamite if He can EVER find out HOW to put a puck on the OTHER side of a goalie

…I love the speed, skill and exuberance of Our FireFlies …Gomez, Pleks, Gionta, Cam, and Sergei WHEN They are playing cohesively …and intriqued and awed by the POTENTIAL of that Big Galoot Pouli-O

…as a long-suffering Hab Fan, tonight left Me happy and PROUD of My Team

…don’t know WHAT to expect in the next game …but I am goin’ to sleep content tonite

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

235. matrags says:

I was go ing to write this  ,thanks

236. mbplekfan says:

Tonight the habs veterans lead the way and showed what playoff hockey was all about.  No more quitting on the play, or “rolling” the lines…  Everybody came to play at the right time.

Cammaleri, Gomez, Gionta, Hal Gill and Jaro really showed up and really made a statement. Pouliot, And AK proved that they can bring it… And Spacek showed his true value.

Leaving DC with a split looks pretty good right now!

237. Danno says:

Here’s how we did it.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

238. linp says:

For me, the turning point is Halak’s performance in the 1st period. The team suddenly believed that they can compete. They were completely out played and came out of the period with a tie. Halak gave the team confidence that we can win this.

239. Rugger says:

Saturday will be Jose’s last start in a Caps uniform.

240. shootdapuck says:

Folks, this was indeed an inspirational win and from mid-point of the second quite a convincing one.

The recently most maligned players played up to their potential and contributed huge.

But, can they continue? Will they show up for 3 more wins? This is what makes this team so enigmatic!

I hope so cause watching Milbury and the rest CBC morons eat their words will be soooo satisfying.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

241. nightmare_49 says:

… I’m sure the old crooner isn’t the only one that thought those issues in About Last Night ……….  I for one was happily surprised at MAB’s performance last evening, very few errors and no real brain cramps, bravo ( that’s the way i remember him before the Habs picked him up, but he must remain consistent ).  …………..  One advantage we have is behind the bench, as Boudreau is highly overrated due to the constant applauds from the toronto media and i’m no JM fan ………………..  Let’s hear it from all those Hal Gill basher’s this morning.

242. captaink4life says:

HEY GILMORE!

YOU SUCK!!! YOU JACKASS!!

hahahaha

You will always be a Canadien in my eyes, Saku

243. STZA says:

First…

Mancati o pula

244. cautiousoptimist says:

That’s why we love you Boone — you’ve got the good sense to be right a lot of the time, and the better sense to man up and admit it when you’re not.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  245. sidhu says:

We have two things the Caps don’t and won’t have for the rest of the series:

- A locker room with a good amount of guys who have won the Cup (e.g., Moen, Gio, Gomer, Gill).  The Caps have only one Cup winner – Knuble, and he did it in his first season when he played only three games in the playoffs.

- A goalie who has earned the confidence of his team.  Jaro is on fire, and in the never-ending Price vs. Halak debate, it was clear that for some reason the boys played better in front of Jaro.  He was solid tonight.  Theo has never fully been embraced by the team nor the fans.  The Jose Three-Or-More moniker was bestowed on Theo by the DC faithful themselves.

We can win this.  Believe.

246. Willy the bum says:

Hard to predict the outcomes, eh Boone?

I could imagine if O’Byrne would dress up, he would’ve get three penalties and possible get 2 goals from the Caps, in my opinion.

Nice to see Cammalleri score finally.  Yeah, forget the regular season goals; playoff goals are more deserving!

“If you don’t win the Cup, it’s a bad year.” And Gomez is right.  Game 1 win is a great start!

And Halak… since the beginning when he first started, I sensed he would lead up to the playoffs or the Cup, and now is the biggest chance for him.

P.S. TURTLENECK POWER!!!

247. habsfan321 says:

Ovechkin was useless at the olympics, what makes you think he’s going to step up his game now?

248. andrewberkshire says:

C’mon Booner! Put your other foot onto the bandwagon, you know you want to! Well written recap as always!

The thing I’m happiest about after watching the game tonight isn’t even the fact that we won, it was Halak’s performance. I was genuinely worried after his last 3 games of the regular season that he might be worn down a bit, but I guess 3 days off has put him right back into form. He was fantastic tonight, and we have a real shot at winning this thing!

About last night! It was sure a lot of fun to watch our club play the way we all know they can.

Halak played his game in the first, keeping wave after wave out of his net like we all knew he was going to.

And in the 2nd we cranked it up like we all know they can when playing better opposition.

In the 3rd we just played them even like we all know they can.

In over time we always beat better teams. Why do you think we practiced in over time and shoot outs all year?

I am certainly not surprised that we were successful, very happy  that we only have to win 3 of 6 games to watch the big “o” on the golf coarse.

This
    team is an awful lot better than most people think. We have had a ton
    of very serious injuries all season long and still had enough points to make
    the play offs.

We miss the Metro, but he will be back for the next round. They have kept us quessing and on the edge of our seats all year. I expect nothing less for the next 5 weeks.

As long as Martin plays 4 lines we are going to be alright!!boys and girls!

250. Willy the bum says:

I miss Metro too, great for his presence in PPs!

251. forskis says:

The Habs better be ready for Game #2…the Caps are going to come out even harder in the first period than they did tonight.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

252. Connecticut Man1 says:

I still can’t get over the fact that there were 47 shots on Halak and there was a grand total of ZERO taken by Ovechkin. The closest he came was shooting wide by a foot or something? I don’t care if they let them have 40 +++ shots if none of them are coming from their most dangerous sniper.

We bumped him all night, even little Gionta knocked him down twice!

254. Connecticut Man1 says:

Gionta was a little fireballer tonight.

About last night …

Case in point: Game 1 of the Canadiens-Capitals playoff series.

Well … wrong again.

Pending the result of the L.A.-Vancouver game, lower seeds – who, with the arguable exception of Detroit, are underdogs in each series – have won five of six opening games.

But your Montreal Canadiens topped that – if only because we are no longer surprised by anything the Sharks do to crap the fish tank in the playoffs.