About last night …

PaRROSRYNBEND

But you know what?

Caution is for pussies.

In the ALN section of HIO, we don’t do caution. We leap to conclusions with hops that an NBA All-Star would envy.

Seriously, it’s WAY too early for dramatic pronouncements.

Well, except for one: They have to get fighting out hockey.

No, this is not a cynical attempt to exploit the horrific George Parros injury for cheap politically-correct points. Parros was the victim of a freak accident. It’s just too bad his kids were at the game to see their father wheeled off the ice on a stretcher.

If there were no fighting in the NHL, Parros wouldn’t have been in the opening-night lineup. Neither would his dancing partner, the Leafs’ Colton Orr. That’s two more spots for skill players on the respective rosters.

Fighting in pro sports is pointless and stupid. It’s an automatic ejection in tough, physical sports such as football, soccer and basketball.

You say it keeps players honest and protects the smaller skill guys?

Right.

So Parros wins a close decision in his first fight with Orr. Travis Moen pounds out a solid decision over Mark Fraser, and Jarred Tinordi punches out Carter Ashton.

Did it change the momentum of the game?

Did it give David Desharnais more room to roam on the ice?

Then there’s the entertainment argument.

“Does anyone go to the bathroom during a fight?” the Don Cherry constituency asks.

How about we introduce a new crowd-pleasing element: The First Star of every game is fondled by a stripper at centre ice.

No one would go to the bathroom.

Alright, enough ranting from the Ol’ Blogger, who is infrequently sought out for advice by Brendan Shanahan.

The Canadiens won a couple fights and lost the game. The home team was second best in most of the puck battles against a Leafs lineup that includes not one player less than 6 feet tall.

The Canadiens have eight players under that bar. And the aforementioned DD, Brian Gionta and Daniel Brière had very quiet nights against Toronto.

In the postgame show on TSN 690, the lads were asking why 6’2″ Lars Eller – two goals and an assist, six SoG, two hits and 50 per cent on draws – played 16:20 while DD – zero points, one SoG, no hits and 6-4 in the faceoff circle – played 18:24.

The even-strength minutes were fairly even for the two centres, but Desharnais added 3:19 on the power play to 1:29 for Eller.

Alex Galchenyuk had two assists and was plus-2 in 13:23 – less ice time than Gionta, Rene Bourque (who actually played well), Brière and Max Pacioretty.

On a team with three second lines, the EGG (Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher) aggregation was the home team’s best – by a lot.

Perhaps DD, the captain and Brière will fare better against teams less physical than the Leafs.

Unfortunately for the Canadiens, the Atlantic Division includes – in addition to Toronto – the Bruins, Senators, Sabres and two Florida teams that aren’t exactly shrinking violets.

Positive note: the Canadiens fourth line – with and without Parros – played well. Moen was particularly energetic.

Maybe DD and the boys can fatten up against Detroit.

Yeah, right.

The radio guys also were wondering why a Norris Trophy defenceman played 44 seconds on the Canadiens penalty-kill while Raphael Diaz played 6:20.

I didn’t like Diaz during the pre-season, and my dissatisfaction carried over into the opener.

Yes, the guy is good on the PP. His patience and slick passing created a goal. But Diaz has no physical game, and Michel Therrien is pairing him with Andrei Markov, who sorely needs the kind of hard-hitting partner that Alexei Emelin was before he wrecked his knee last season.

Markov is still a force on the PP and occasionally zips off a nifty outlet pass. But the veteran Dman was caught flat-footed at the Toronto blueline on a Canadiens’ power play, and Tyler Bozak wheeled away to score the goal that turned the game in Toronto’s favour.

If Carey Price stops Bozak on the second-period breakaway, it’s 2-2 and who knows? But Price didn’t have much chance on the other goals, and I thought he made some big stops.

James Reimer faced 37 shots, but there wasn’t much in the way of sustained Canadiens pressure. And the Leafs, winning puck battles all over the ice, had more clear-cut scoring chances.

Heading into the season, I thought the Canadiens had issues on the back end.

P.K. is incomparable, of course, and was excellent against his hometown team. Josh Gorges was steady and ended the night at plus-1. Jarred Tinordi played a shade under 15 minutes, blocked two shots and did not look out of place.

But Markov, Diaz and a game-but-slow-and-undersized Francis Bouillon …

Emelin is sorely missed. I’m not counting on much from Davis Drewiske or Douglas Murray (who seems to get hurt climbing out of bed in the morning).

There’s help in the system – Nathan Beaulieu is up for the time being, Darren Dietz and Magnus Nygren looked promising in pre-season – but it doesn’t do to rush defence prospects unless they’re high first-round blue chippers.

Philadelphia is at the Bell Centre on Saturday.

There could be fighting.

•  •  •

Guest Comment from savethepuck:

Yeah I’m a glass half full guy, but maybe I saw the game differently than some, and it makes me sleep better at night and doesn’t make me get so worked up over a regular season loss. It’s an 82 game season and there will be games when breaks go the other way. I’m not even going to bother arguing with those who are blaming Price, I’m starting to realize it’s a waste of time, like beating your head against a wall. It was a crazy hockey game, seemed like both teams were playing run and gun and giving up a lot of glorious scoring opportunities at both ends. Habs went down 1-0 on a 5 on 3 PP but the Habs fought back and tied it up ( on an incredible patient hockey play by some Diaz guy that most here hate ). The kid line then tied it up and things were looking good. Leafs tied it on a great shot by Phaneuf and then went ahead on a short handed goal by Bozak. That goal rolled off Markov’s stick at the blueline, and Carey may of cheated a bit thinking Bozak was going to deke to the forehand before he went high blocker, but I’m not going start blaming anyone because it’s pointless. The backbreaker was the 4th goal, which was one of the luckiest bounces you will see pop back on the stick of Mason Raymond. This was one out of 82 games that either team could of won, if the Habs are well below 500 after 20 games, I’ll start to worry a little.

1. silverfox says:

I can’t understand how two goons in a staged fight protects the elite players. The goons don’t fight the elites anyway. Consider the uproar over the Kessel – Scott affair. If goons got an automatic game misconduct then subsequent discipline for repeated offenses they would be gradually weeded out of the game. There will still be tough skilled players that could step into the policemen role if they changed the instigator rule. Coaches that relied on cheap shot artists to take out elite players could also face supplementary discipline. The main point though is how can you justify policing head shots and allow staged fights. The UFC is safer it seems to me than pro hockey.

2. silverfox says:

You are right on the money with this blog Boone.

3. jew4jah says:

boone,

i’ve defended fighting in hockey ever since i can remember. but you’ve changed my mind. seriously.

chara = חרה

4. Ice Storm says:

Hey all… Any recommendations for online ordering of Habs jerseys? Ie: with nameplate and #?

5. CHasman says:

Now that I’ve gotten over the disappointment of last night’s loss and my thinking is clearer I can make some comments on the game.
    As for Parros and the fighting, we really don’t know if it made a difference. How bad would it have been if Parros, Moen and Tinordi weren’t ‘sending’ a message. We’ll never know. The fisticuffs didn’t make us win but (aside from the freaky Parros incident) they didn’t hurt us. The sending a message part will come with time, when other teams realize that we can and will stand up for each other and we will not be intimidated. I still play hockey and from a player’s view point, having ‘tough’ guys on your team does make team mates play with more swag.
    For all the naysayers out there ready to dismantle the team, let’s take a breath. It was a game we were in, it was entertaining as hell, and a game we could have won. We weren’t dominated by any stretch of the imagination and we saw some good things. It was too little, too late but we came damn close to tying the game at the end. I’m not blaming the refs but we easily could have had another chance on the PP at the end. (The PP will come to life too.)
    I’ll be like everyone else, nervously waiting for our first win. But based on what I saw, it is going to be a fun season.

6. Thomas Le Fan says:

By the way … after last night, I’m wondering is it pronounced
    Gal-chen-yuk or Gal-chenee-uk? Enquiring minds and all.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

7. JohnBellyful says:

Wrong thread.
    (But I’ve always thought that.)

• *Edit–Belly, you removed the post I replied to.* ;)

You definitely couldn’t leave the reffing to its current, inconsistent style.

Case in point: the refs last night called almost everything in the first and second periods, appearing to set a standard. Fair enough. But then, in the third, when we were making a push during the final minutes, they allowed the usual clutching, grabbing and mugging that may have kept us from evening the score.

That’s the infuriating thing. If they would just be consistent throughout the game and among teams, it would cause a lot less frustration and I think all types of infractions would become fewer, fighting included.

Then again, I *could* also be voted in as the next PM. Equally likely as the NHL reffing reaching a consistent, professional standard.

DDonais

8. The sky is not falling.

I wish they’d played the entire game with the intensity they had in the first period and the final 8 minutes or so. If so, they probably would have winned.

Really all that can reasonably be suggested from the outcome is that they needed a few more games to improve on timing and line chemistry. Too many preseason tilts spent looking at the guys who won’t be factors for 2-3 years, if ever.

All in all, they made it respectable–but they could have scored a W if those little things (and a more consistent work ethic) had been better developed.

DDonais

9. Frank2468 says:

Was I surprised with last night’s outcome??? No not at all, if Habs didn’t have bad luck they wouldn’t have any luck at all. Look at the post game interview with Eller the kid almost called the Bell Center cursed with all the injuries that happen to the team. This building needs an exorcism. It’s almost like the ghosts of the Forum are thinking you want to close this building well blank you we are staying here.

Also the organization needs to get a grip with the French English issue. Yes I understand why the Habs want French players on the team I’m 1/2 French Canadian myself but enough is enough. The organization wants either D.D or Danny to be the top goal scorer and are given a lot of ice time wow what about Eller last night why did D.D get more bloody ice time when Eller was on fire!!!!!

Face it people as long as the organization doesn’t move forward with the French English issue and need to promote French players over others even if the other players happen to be better skilled then this team will always be mediocre. I’m not saying if the top scorer is French don’t play him that would be icing on the cake. I just wish the organization would just let things develop naturally and not force things; by this I mean you can’t always think the next French player is the next Lafleur, Lemieux or the Rocket. Just get the best players and staff possible and if the next Lafleur comes down the pipe then great

• Timo says:

Francophone Canadians!!! DD and Briere are not from France, are they? Sheesh. I think it’s been discussed that we can’t… JUST CAN’T call them French.

• Frank2468 says:

Tabernac Timo lol

• Un Canadien errant says:

Exactly right Timo, thanks for speaking up. Tim Bozon is the only French player in the organization right now. David Desharnais and Daniel Brière are French-Canadian, they speak French, but they aren’t French.

• Habfan17 says:

You need to watch what you say. My father is French. He ws born in Quebec, his ancestors came from France and I can tell you, if you ask him and his family, he is French-Canadien. not Franco-Phone Canadian, One should not speak for a group of people. If you read the post by Frank2468, he says he is 1/2 French Canadien.

Habfan17

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks Frank. I’m willing to bet you’re not the only Quebec francophone (is that right, UCE?) or half French Canadian who would prefer a winning formula than to be “represented” by DD (let’s leave Briere aside til he’s had a few games).

But I’m wondering what you think of Stevie.Ray’s hypothesis below, which — if I’m not misreading — suggests that DD needed to play top minutes against the Leafs’ top line so the EGG line could play against a weaker line. Makes sense to me.

(Ha! Even if it’s not the sense Stevie intended!)

@Ron – let’s be clear about something I take very seriously.

White’s hair was never silky smooth. His hair always looked like a bunch of hay on scarecrow’s head. He is better off with his current hair “style”.

11. j2w4habs25 says:

Just something I heard this morning on the bus from another HABS FAN.

I’d rather lose to the LEAFS then WIN over BRUINS. Make up HOCKEY!

Carey Price #31

Parros twitted his Thanks for support.

13. j2w4habs25 says:

I got to admit lastnight was a good game. We lost!! but its only game 1… 80 more to go.

Lastnight Carey kept them in the game same goes for Reimer. The goaltending was awesome lastnight. But I did notice that the Habs weren’t shooting at the net. They were more into shooting the glass and broads behind the net.

Another thing I noticed is that Markov is getting too much ice time.

Parron got bad luck on his side lastnight. I hope he makes a speedy recovry and i swear he will return even better.

Next game is the FLYERS… HALLGILL is up next… cant wait. Bounce back games are always fun to watch.

Carey Price #31

14. ooder says:

in markov’s defence not many d men would catch up to a forward in that scenario

• third generation haber says:

but, why bother defending him when he gives the puck away so often and allows players to walk to our net without so much as a nudge??? He makes 5.75 mil., shouldn’t he at least be defensively competent???

j.p. murray

• ooder says:

problem is at his age and with his knees he is being way over utilized. he is no longer the dman who can compensate for others error (like when he played with komisarek) and that’s fine… people’s career degrade in different ways.
        what’s stupid is playhing with with diaz, or playing diaz at all

15. boing007 says:

BGLaraque thinks that Parros could be finished for the rest of the season.

Richard R

16. third generation haber says:

Just heard on TSN, “Stats Guy”, Markov had 4 giveaways in this game, and last year was second in the league with 50!

I know he’s great on the PP, but why does he lead our team in ice-time???

j.p. murray

17. Marc10 says:

Fearless prediction. We’ll win Saturday.

All you people saying this is just one game, please remember to add to your post that when it matters Habs will turn on that switch and everything will be great. You keep forgetting the switch. If I am not told about the switch I get all pessimistic but if I am reminded about it, it makes me feel a lot more confident about Habs chances this season. So, please.

19. third generation haber says:

A lot of anger today, and I can understand why.

For me, I’d just like to see accountability be evenly applied on this team.

If Subban had played like did Markov today, he’d get benched.

If Eller had played like DD did today, he’d get benched.

If White had taken a stupid penalty like Pleks did, he’d get benched!

Therrien needs to respond!

j.p. murray

20. Mr_MacDougall says:

Put Tinordi with PK already!

21. Sportfan says:

So will MT/MB wake up sooner or later that DD was good one year, but Eller, Gally and Chucky are our future. We have Briere for one more year, but there is no way Gionta will be back. I know its one game but its in the cards. I can’t wait for Saturday cause 1 game and a bunch of preseason games won’t tell us anything. I just hope we can beat Philly because the stupid western Canada road trip is coming and we know how those turn out :s

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

22. John Q Public says:

As per the Canadians request Gatorade is altering their recipe to include:

Chlorodehydromethyltestosterone – so the team gets bigger and stronger.
    Darbepoetin alfa – so those bigger muscles get moar oxygen.
    Methamphetamine – to make sure their still playing in 3rd period or in the goalies case, cat like reflexes.
    Nanobots – to repair injuries as they occur.

23. boing007 says:

Erik Cole was the glue that made the DD trio work. DD’s been mediocre ever since Cole was traded.

Richard R

24. Sportfan says:

Saw the Meon fight was nice to see him stand up for Prust, Saw the Tinordi fight wow Ashton had no chance. Parros we will miss him against the more moronic teams and I really hope he heals quickly, but it says it right there we did well in the fights, but we didn’t win the game so every Moron on CBC can shut their mouths because fighting doesn’t win the game.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

25. Nimler01 says:

Good game last night between two good teams. Game could have gone either way. Going to be a great season. As for all the negative people out there, it’s only one game. My goodness , relax!!

26. DipsyDoodler says:

Up until the 3rd this was a fast exciting game, with sloppy defense on both sides (made it even more fun) and great goal tending. at 2-2 we were slightly the better team I think. (Imagine the same game but no Colton Orr or Mark Fraser.)

But then the Marky blunder.

Then the Diaz mistake and the freak goal.

Then the freak injury.

(And then the angry failures who pollute H I/O.)

Bottom line is we have issues to solve (on D especially) but we’re a fast exciting team.

• The Jackal says:

Ah DD, (lol), we have too many “angry failures” who dump on the team and players whenever it ain’t going their way.

It’s just one game, one we played well in, and one in which there were not many poor performances overall. But that does not really matter to some. ;)

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Bogie Man says:

This is one of the most logical posts I ahve read about lasts nights game. I could not have said it better. The only thing I would add is MT needs to start playing what works and sit the rest.

27. Mr_MacDougall says:

If ya really want to get rid on concussions, get rid of line changes.. no longer would guys be wasting strides to “finish hits” (which is a cute way of saying hit late) and would slow the game down a little bit.

28. Dunboyne Mike says:

Mattyleg — on fire today. Great posts.

Stevie.Ray — really like your save-difficulty rating and commentary (earlier thread). While subjective and unscientific, it offers a useful angle to consider a goalie’s performance. And apart from the idea itself, I liked your proposed ratings, and also some of the suggested amendments that followed. Cheers

On DD. Could it possibly, POSSIBLY be that Montreal will be playing him with generous ice-time for some specified period in order to ascertain whether last season was just a blip or that what we see is going to be what we get?

That would strike me as a reasonable policy. Fans feel no need to exercise patience the way team management does, which accounts for the immediate baying for bus-throwing-under following DD’s weak showing last night (along with several other players). If he’s still getting the same ice-time and playing as badly in 3 weeks, then count me in on the baying (and a whole case-load of conspiracy theories). (Just not the language one — please.)

(Timo, I didn’t get enough sleep last night here in GMT to be able to weather a response from you on this one! Please.).

• Mr_MacDougall says:

DD is garbage. Too small for bottom 6, not top 6 material.

• FlyAngler says:

It’s one thing to play him on the first line. It’s another thing entirely to give him double the minutes of Eller on the PP. With Cole and Ryder both gone, all the more reason to play Eller with Pacioretty and Briere on the PP. At least then you have two descent sized forwards out there instead of 2 smurfs.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

MacD and Angler. It looks that way to me also. So have the three of us greater hockey insight than MT and MB?

If we haven’t, in other words if it’s NOT the case that all would be well with the Habs regarding the deployment of DD if one of us were coach, then it MUST be the case that there is some other cogent reason for DD’s preferential ice-time.

I’m challenging you to offer some such reason. Or else that you actually claim to know more than MT and MB!

Well?

(Thank you, Timo).

• Timo says:

Is it that inconceivable? (that three of you have greater insight).

• FlyAngler says:

I think that we all know what the reason is……… and I think that Timo already put it out there as others have. I just wonder if they even considered the fact that they had gone to a much smaller forward in Briere compared to Cole and Ryder. Someone once said that imagination is the ability to consider all sides of a question or issue. Clearly lacking right now in the Habs brain trust. There appears to be a very rigid system of thought that is operative.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The language theory implies that Montreal management prioritises language politics over winning.

“Dommage, Michel. Too bad we lost, eh? But at least David played big minutes.”

“Oui, c’est vrai mon brave gerant. We may have lost the game, but at least we made nearly the whole province happy.”

29. Grimmly says:

Corey Crawford 4 32 28 0.875 59:58

I wonder if Chicago fans are calling him an overpayed bum

• Cal says:

Crawford- Stanley Cup.
      Price- poster of Stanley Cup on his wall (next to the horse)

• jedimyrmidon says:

Skewed perspective.

You seem to subscribe to the unsophisticated mentality that if one happens to be on a TEAM that puts it all together and wins the Cup, the goaltender then has the leeway to perform at whatever level because he already has won the Cup, and has nothing left to prove.

• FlyAngler says:

Of course the other possibility is that DD has pictures………

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

30. Stevie.Ray says:

My question is this and I’m not sure of the answers.

1. As the Desharnais Line’s role is the most offensive (they play almost exclusively in the offensive zone), is it not possible that they are going up against the oppositions best defensive defencemen?

2. Plekanec’s line is often matched up against the oppositions top offensive lines, so aren’t they usually in the defensive zone playing hard minutes?

In conclusion, we are all clamoring for the EGG line to get more minutes, but isn’t it possible that they looked so good last night because they were going up against the other teams weakest lines?
    If we had them go up against Kessel’s line would they maybe get beat hard in the defensive zone?
    If we had them go up against the other teams best D, might they end up being shutdown hard?

Maybe the minutes they are getting are right for where they are in their development. They’re given the opportunity to succeed and grow before feeding them to the lions.

I don’t have the statistics for match ups last night so I could be wrong, but I think I offer a strong hypothesis.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Answer, DD is garbage…

• Stevie.Ray says:

That said, I’m all for giving the Egg line more responsibility and tougher minutes because the other 2 clearly weren’t capable

• LizardKing12 says:

I’m not sure what the match-up stats are but I think it is fair to assume that what you have said is correct. The problem I have is that a top offensive line, which is what DD’s line is supposed to be, should be able to produce vs other teams’ best defensive pairings and shutdown lines.

If the DD line continues to struggle and Eller’s line continues to dominate vs lesser competition then it might be time to try them in reversed roles. Obviously we won’t know if they can handle it until we seem them play the other team’s top D unit. I hope that Therrien has the guts to try that out if DD’s line is unsuccessful because last year no matter how bad that line was they kept getting top minutes. As Einstein said, the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

As for the Plekanec line I wouldn’t change their role because he is the best defensive forward we have. Those guys are all consistent 20 goal scorers so the offense will come, they had some good opportunities in the second period last night.

• Cal says:

EGG line is not playing against the best the opposition has to throw at them. Giving them a baptism of fire would make many here realize just how much their ice time is being managed by MT.
      On the other hand, there is only one way to find out how they’d do. Play them.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

More sound observations, SR.

• Trisomy 21 says:

If the EGG line did face tougher competition, wouldn’t that give DD’s line a chance to shine?

• jedimyrmidon says:

Someone posted yesterday who was on the ice for all 3 Habs goals scored (all involving Eller, two involving the EGG line).

The names? Kessel, Bozak, JVR; Kadri, Lupul and Raymond. Those are the Leafs’ top two lines.

31. The Jackal says:

Just workin’ off the hango’ with some iced coffee. It is horribly hot in Toronto because everyone has turned the AC on and have prematurely cranked up the furnaces, even though the temperature has not dipped below 15, so it’s that weird time of the year were AC would be too cold and people are too lazy to not turn the heat off since they expect it to get cold.

Anyhow, last night’s game was actually a lot of fun, despite the horrible injury to Parros.
    When that happened, it sucked the life out of the game, at least for me, as it just showed how much is wrong with the NHL.
    On that note, many of you saw how we won all the fights and were not pushed around. That’s great, but in the end it did not win us the game. I admit there is this primal part of me that feels good seeing our team win fights, but there is no reason to have fighting in our sport and there is no reason to force top athletes to risk their brain and mental health because the league is too anachronistic to enact change.

But I digress… The game was a good contest between two up and coming teams. I don’t think that Habs’ “lack of size” really hurts them as much as is said by pundits and the moar bigger crew. It certainly helps to have larger bodies, and we do have too many small bodies, but most of them contribute and play key roles. With some tinkering and passing of the torch to our younger players, we can get rid of some of those guys, i.e. Boullion, who is great but is not the guy we need on D. Gionta will pass the torch after this season and perhaps DD will be shipped out if he does not turn things around.

But we still have many good small players like Gally and Briere, who was alright last night but did not get much done. I’d be more comfortable brekaing Beaulieu in and have more of those pinch/mistake goals scored on us if it meant he could develop and learn on the job and more quickly join the ranks. Markov, well, he is good on the PP but he still thinks he has the speed to make up for his mistakes.

I’m not one to question MT because I don’t know what the deal is with the team and the management, etc., but he has to start playing PK more and Markov and Diaz less.

Anyway, I’d say we’re a better team than we were last season, and that we will make the playoffs and have another fun year. Hopefully we bring up some more young guys this season who can start to find their NHL game.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

32. arcosenate says:

Kent Brockman: Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it’s time for our viewers to crack each other’s heads open and feast on the goo inside?
    Professor: Yes I would, Kent.

It’s that kind of day in Habs Land.

Parros is out indefinitely? That’s fantastic. Now everything can go back to the way it was and Habs best players can continue to being mugged and rag dolled. I felt that lads weren’t feeling right last night… not to worry. Things will be soon back to normal.

Btw, WTF was that with Lafleur passing the torch to Dany effing Briere? What the F did that little puke do to be the first one to get it? Oh, I know because he is… umm… what did UCE teach me they are called? Right, Francophone Canadian… un ptie’ gars d’chez nous… He always wanted to play for the Montreal Canadiens (no one else on the team ever did, but he did and that’s why he got the torch first.) Seems like I answered my own question here I guess.

• Grimmly says:

Timo do you sharpen your fangs before you post I just have to know?

• Cam_1 says:

Timo remember last year in regular season they were fine, not until play offs they got rag dolled. Hopefully they are bigger, tougher, and smarter by the play offs. If we make it that is. If we don’t make it, then I’m afraid it just might be rebuild mode. But you are right, I don’t know better than MT or MB. Heck MT is even more articulate than me.

• The Jackal says:

Relax Timo, it’s hump day.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Mavid says:

The first person to get the torch is the least important, the last one is the most..our Captain.. I think your reading way too much into it. Its not a total shock that french people prefer french players…Ottawa fans prefer local boys as well..whooopty doooo

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Trisomy 21 says:

Yeah right, and last time Briere was a UFA, where did he end up? I seem to remember hearing the Habs extended an offer. So he wanted to play in Montreal, just not THAT bad.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I love how you pretend to be dense about this. Unless you really think that I’m your adversary and you need to take shots at me, in which case I’ll assure you that I’m not a detractor, I read your posts and understand your position(s), agree with some , disagree with most, but love the zingers and one-liners.

You can choose to fabricate a controversy about my reply to one of your earlier posts, but the issue wasn’t that I want everyone to use an unwieldy and impractical phrase to describe French Canadians. The issue was that you referred to a French Canadian or francophone player as “french”, ie: “DD just gets icetime because he’s a french guy”, or words to that effect. And I made the point that just as much as you aren’t an english guy, French Canadians aren’t “french”, they speak French, which is a big difference. They are francophones, they are Canadians, but they aren’t french, they weren’t born in france. Don’t marginalize me because of the language I speak. I’m just as Canadian as anyone else is.

Scott Gomez isn’t spanish, he’s American. He may or may not speak Spanish, he probably has Mexican roots, but he’s a U.S. citizen, not diminished in any way by his ethnic heritage. To refer to him as ‘spanish’, would not only be factually wrong and inaccurate, it’s also lazy, if not downright discriminatory, brought up to prejudice others’ views. As in “Two black men robbed a gas station today,…”

And I’ll repeat that I chose to bring this issue up with you because I thought you’d be receptive (in your own way), whereas when other posters make the same mistake I let it go because I think they’re a lost cause.

34. Mr_MacDougall says:

DD sucks, anyone who thinks differently is clinging to the player that was carried by patch and Cole who had career years on a last place club.

DD loses battles on the PP leading to easy clear outs, sucks on face-offs, is small, can’t shoot. He will continue to be a liability. Gorges, Gionta, Briere, Markov, and DD eat up far too much cap space for what they bring. I truly believe all these guys will be long gone by the time Habs are contenders.

The future looks great from the net out.. Price… PK, Tinordi, Emelin… Patch, Eller, Chuck, Gally,

PS DD is beyond brutal.

• Timo says:

Question has to be asked… does Therrien continues to play him because Therrien is unbelievably stupid (a very valid assumption if you ask me) or does he continue to play him because his boss tells him to? In either case, Habs coach and GM suck.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I think a small budget team might have interest if he can some how, some way, get the 60 points he had ON A LAST PLACE TEAM….. It’s like when you buy groceries and get something you think you might like that was pricey, but turns out to be awful… do you keep force feeding yourself the disgusting food, or give it away or simply throw it out and swallow your pride, accepting you made a mistake…

Beside the draft of Galchenyuk, the positives on this squad are all BG and PG… Eller, Gally, Chuck, Tinordi, Price, Subban…

I do like Prust.. there is MB best move.

• Trisomy 21 says:

Blew me away that DD got more icetime than Eller did.

35. Grimmly says:

To summarize last night…

JM.. oh i mean MT still does not know how to manage icetime on all aspects of the game..

The defence looks old and slow (ya beat a dead horse)

Our 2 best lines where the kids line and the 4th line, who play too little.

Oh, and DD and Briere on the last minute when the kids did everything was just down STUPID

Lads at TSN radio are asking very good questions. Too bad that complacent way too comfortable in their job journalists with access to the dressing room and press conference do not ask Therrien the same questions.

The sad thing is that inevitably Bergevin will arrive to the same conclusion that some poster observed from the beginning – DD is not good. Briere is not good. Gionta is not good. Bourque is not good. Markov is no longer good. Diaz is not good. Bouillon is not good. Half of this freaking team is overpaid and just doesn’t cut it.

But lets waste another season confirming what was pretty clear last year.

The more I see Therrien the more I wish he had some unfortunate accident that would just prevent him from coming to work. Nothing major… nothing that would affect his life, just inability to come to work.

37. Cam_1 says:

I think the time for the youth movement is now. I hate to say it. But although they have heart at times, they just can’t be effective. Maybe it’s time to try and unload Gio and DD. Also as others have said, unfortunately Markov is washed up now. Good trade bait tho. See if you can trade em al. Even for picks, and then bring up some of those great potential prospects we got. At this point, I really don’t think they can do any worse.

38. dhenry1234 says:

Last night’s loss was a fluke. Habs were kicking ass and had all the momentum until Paros got hurt. What happened to Paros was a 1 in a million type of thing and it’s what took all of our game away. Had Paros not been injured, there is no doubt in my mind that the Habs would have come away with the victory last night.

The fans are the 7th player on the ice. Shame on you! A player gets injured with 17 minutes left in the third period and the building goes so quiet for the next 15 minutes of gameplay, that you can hear a pin drop. HOW ABOUT SOME “GO HABS GO” CHANTS OR SOMETHING?? Cheer for your damn team! Don’t just watch aimlessly while tweeting on your cell phones #omganinjuryandnowbecauseourfanbaseistoosensitiveweregoingtobeboringandenduplosingthegame
    It took Eller’s goal 15 minutes of gameplay later for any fan to get back into the game. Even a fight from Prust couldn’t win you over.

39. Chris says:

One very bright note from last night’s game: I loved how many tips there were last night. I don’t remember a game where the Habs had as many tipped shots as they had last night…tipping so many shots means that the Habs were getting more guys into Reimer’s sightlines. If this keeps up, the team will get rewarded, either by goals or rebounds that result in sustained pressure and either goals or penalties.

40. arcosenate says:

Disappointed in Desharnais, that’s a lot of money for what ostensibly is a third line centre.

I know it’s game one but wow, he was just as mediocre as last year all night long.

And he’s complicating the next Eller contract.

I wonder how Bergevin feels about that signing right now…

41. Marcusman says:

THE GLASS SHE’S HALF FULL……!!!

A few bad bounces, a few bad penalties….the kids have to play more…Markov looked a little ….old last night.

Interesting though…..we did not score a short handed goal last season….we scored one last night.

42. FlyAngler says:

Einstein once said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Last night featured a lot of “deja vu” from our boys in bleu, blanc et rouge-

1. An extremely ineffective DD on the first line as well as on the power play.

2. Tomas Plekanec doing a great job on the PK and on D but unable to make a play to either set up or score a big goal despite some great chances.

3. A poorly deployed and utilized defence corps as Mr. Boone mentions- does anyone on the coaching staff remember the defensive meltdown against the Sens in game 4 in Ottawa.

4. An Anrdei Markov on the PP who at this point is as much a liability as an asset. There is absolutely no chance that he can catch someone who gets by him at the point any more.

It’s only one game, but it was a game that was winnable with better decision making by the coaching staff. And please someone tell me…. Is JJ Daigneault the best that the Habs can do for a coach for the defencemen?

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Luke says:

So you are saying the majority of the Posters here are Insane?

• FlyAngler says:

I hope that the posters are just frustrated and the people who make the decisions are plagued with a tinge of insanity.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• Maritime Ronn says:

Re your point #4
      Markov has earned a Mulligan.

Last year, Markov lead ALL NHL Dmen in PP goals scored.
      He actually had 1 more that Subban on the PP.
      Markov also was 2nd for ALL NHL Dmen for PP assists.

• FlyAngler says:

Valid and good points Ronn, but we saw the Bozak clip last year albeit with different opposing players doing the damage. The shorthanded goal last night was an absolute killer and as others have pointed out he is a lot slower post knee surgery. He is also a year older and is only going to get even slower.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

43. Thomas Le Fan says:

The Leafs got the breaks. That’s it. Bad call on the first penalty. Then you have to call the high stick and we’re down two … bingo. A couple of bad bounces and there you go including a chin off the ice. Oweee. Hope Parros is okay. Anyway, I thought we played fairly well and had the edge in play overall. I’m not going to lose any sleep over losing to the Leafs who still … suck. We still miss the net too often on scoring chances. What’s with that? Yes, Eller et al deserve more ice time. Go Habs!

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

44. Habsbill24 says:

One game does not make a season but a few observations. Markov is basically done. I would rather see Beaulieu playing now in the NHL. Let’s keep building for the future. Add Markov’s grossly overpaid salary to what PK is now making and we have solved PK’s contract situation going forward. Gionta and DD are also two players we would be better off without. Although it seems impossible DD seems to play smaller and smaller as his career moves on. Worse contract on the Habs. Gionta is a gamer but I am so tired of watching him shoot wide on good scoring chances and he does not add much else. The EGG line should start to get oodles of ice time as they are the future. Time to move cube and Diaz on and bring back Pateryn and Beaulieu to fill those slots. Finally PLEASE start using PK around 26-28 minutes a game. He is our true stud and he should be playing for as many minutes as he can handle. As for Carey, made some nice stops but not the game changer when it mattered on the short handed breakaway. That is the difference between a very good goalie and a super star goalie.

• Mattyleg says:

Hahahaha!
      This is classic, and precisely what I was inveighing against below:

“One game does not make a season but a few observations. Markov is basically done.”

Oh, that’s one for the books…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

I don’t want to jump to conclusions but everyone here is dumb.

• Habsbill24 says:

Looks the same as he did last year after a summer of rest, old and slow.

• Lafrich says:

Markov is our weakest link. GO back to last season (after he racked up points in the first 10-12 games) and playoffs, and you will see a guy who consistently gives the puck away. He panics in situations where he used to not panic.
        Then again, maybe he should panic! That fumble at the point for the breakaway could have been avoided if he simply slapped the puck into the corner once he realized that he was losing control of the puck. Bottom line, he is old, slow, and not what he used to be. But the problem is that he doesn’t realize it, and tries to play like he was that player of old.

45. adamkennelly says:

if you watch the end of the first fight – Orr pulled him down face first by his shirt…prolly a new move he worked on and guess what – second time’s a charm…these guys are professional athletes – they know what they are doing…after watching it more closely – I’m way less apt to let Orr off the hook.

46. HABSsince92 says:

According to TSN, Parros out of hospital and is out indefinitely with a concussion.

______________________________________________________

PK please sign.

• Max says:

It’s a good thing he had that big stache to soften the blow a bit! If he’d been clean shaven then it would have been extra ugly.

• Kooch7800 says:

I would imagine he will be out for a couple months

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Yah, that sucks big time. I was actually pretty impressed with what he was doing out there last night. I had extremely low expectations of what he would provide from a forecheck perspective, yet against that Leaf team, he was somewhat effective.

Really hope he recovers soon, for the sake of his ability to enjoy life. As for his return to hockey, I wonder if he is back at all this season.

• HABSsince92 says:

I was just saying the same thing to a coworker here that I was impressed with Parros and his skating he had a couple of scoring chances, esp. in the 1st period.

______________________________________________________

PK please sign.

• HABSsince92 says:

Yeah I’d imagine so as well def. doesn’t sound like a ”normal” (if you can even call one that) concussion where the player is out a couple weeks or so.

______________________________________________________

PK please sign.

• Timo says:

Get well, Big George. I really liked what I saw from him and it is really sad his kids had to see this. Sigh. I begin to agree. Bell Center needs to be burned or demolished for more condos.

The problem is that it’s only good Habs players always suffer there. DD and Briere will both probably play 82 useless games.

47. Max says:

I have to laugh a little at the people who say Price was good last night.He was pretty good in the first and then went back to the old Price again.Reimer got the first star and finished with a 919%. Price was no star and finished with an 895%.An 895 is not going to go far in this league unfortunately. All this from a 6.5 million dollar goalie and one of the highest paid goalies in the world.

I would like to complain about the size of my bartab last night, and I haven’t even paid off all the wagers yet…..

• Mattyleg says:

That’s what you get for ordering the Dom Perignon *after* the Chartreuse… it’s a spiral…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Actually it isn’t that bad. What surprised me the most last night was that the sports bar I went to, wasn’t that busy. It is probably the busiest sports bar in Burlington, and it was not even remotely close to full. I fully expected to be drowned in a sea of blue and white, yet the place was surprisingly sparse of hockey fans.

49. JohnBellyful says:

Can’t believe it, another post got shoved aside.
    Whose head do I have to pull the sweater over?
    Let me see, which words did I use that were inflammatory:
    spearing, slashing, chops, joy, stick … Wait a minute, joy, it must have been joy. In which case you’re not reading this post right now, are you, because I got blocked out again? Well, are you? ARE YOU?

50. Trisomy 21 says:

Sad to see Parros go down like that, I don’t like seeing you anti-fighting guys rubbing your hands together at the sight of it so you can use it as ammunition for your arguments.

51. 123456 says:

Well Krobs story below was nice. So instead of doom and gloom I figured I would post a short version of how I became a Habs fan.

Grew up in Western NY rooting for the Sabres as my dad did. Then it all changed one night in 1986. At the age of 14 I went to my first Sabres game. I noticed in warm-ups a player on the “other” team had a jersey with my same last name on it. I said to my father from the nosebleed Orange Section of The Aud “Hey dad look, Roy’s in the goal!!”

So in an instant I start following him as a player and the Habs as a team. The rest as they say……. is history.

I still root hard for the Sabres in every game they play sans the matches against the Habs.

• krob1000 says:

awesome….must have hit a crossroads though when Derek Roy started being a big player fro Buff though!

• 123456 says:

well it did help explain why my last name was roy instead of ru-wah

best part – my son wanted to be a goalie this season for his hockey team. so he made it as the goalie and its great to see a roy backstopping the team. the only issue is he wanted to be #39 for hasek – whom he never even saw play!!!! BUT BUT BUT – last weekend he asked what number patrick roy was because maybe he will change next year……. so there is hope

• HabsFanInTampa says:

123456: I lived just southeast of Rochester, NY for 14 years. Beautiful country up there. I miss the Finger Lakes region.

• HABSsince92 says:

That’s a great story coming from a fan in Buffalo who also grew up a Patrick Roy fan/Habs fan!

______________________________________________________

PK please sign.

52. twilighthours says:

No one will ever be able to convince me that fighting is a necessary part of the sport.

It is not. The sport and culture can change. Fighting could be removed. It is possible. It might even be better.

• 123456 says:

Necessary – no
      Enjoyed by most fans – yes

• Maritime Ronn says:

twilight,

As brutal as this may appear….

Only when the ‘contract employees’ and employers decide it’s enough, that is when it will go away.

When could that happen?
      If revenues decrease because the actual revenue generators (fans) decide they don’t want to invest in the product anymore because they despise fighting.
      The opinion of non revenue generators of the business is irrelevant.

What could also push them in that direction?
      An actual real time horrific death on the ice for all to see and experience.

• Luke says:

Not necessarily true, Ronn. I’m sure there are plenty of ‘contract employees’ that would happily walk around the plant without steel-toed boots, Work without safety goggles, clear machinery jams by hand without shutting them off and work at the tops of ladders without safety harnesses.

People are pretty stupid. The Government has to force employers and the employees to protect themselves in the workplace.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Luke
          Your points are well taken, yet a government cannot mandate 2 independent parties in this business case.
          Remember, BOTH parties involved are willing participants in this business.
          The change comes when the will for change comes to fruition

• Chris says:

Government absolutely can legislate this. A contract worker on a construction site also involves two willing participants in the business, the employer who wants the job accomplished and the employee who is seeking a paycheque and experience.

That has not stopped the workplace from being legislated by external labour laws, most of which are designed to protect workers from bad decisions.

I work in science. Graduate students are willing participants in research, and obviously the universities have a vested interest in getting that research done. Many of the safety rules are onerous and make it more difficult to complete research in a quick way…but they generally must be followed or the Ministry of Labour can levy some massive fines.

Hockey is a business and the players are the employees. Employees in just about every other business in the country do not get to dictate safety terms, following the ones they like and ignoring the ones they think aren’t necessary. Why is hockey different?

Emile Therien, the former head of the Canadian Safety Association and father of former NHL defenceman Chris Therien, has long maintained that the problem is that the government appointed regulatory body for hockey, Hockey Canada, is hopelessly compromised in terms of their ability to police the game because of their dependence on revenues from the various leagues that operate under their guise.

The NHL and AHL operate in both Canada and the United States, so any safety laws would have to be negotiated between the two countries. The leagues have generally been able to get around being legislated, but the fact that they are not does not mean that they cannot be. The United States government has been increasingly threatening in recent years to intervene in the NFL’s rules, for example, due to dissatisfaction with the NFL’s performance on player safety.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great discussion all! And great definitive winner, Chris.

The league’s commitment to fighting and violence is based on an untested assumption that the profits would fall rather than rise without them.

• Chuck says:

Guys fight, and it doesn’t curb the sort of activity that fighting and enforcers are supposed to stop. Fighting is pointless because it rarely (if ever) changes the outcome of a game… just like the race for a puck on an icing play.

The NHL has smartened up on icing, which hurts players without affecting the outcome of a game… will they do the same with fighting?

_______________________
      Anything is possible.

• Luke says:

Chuck,

Gonna have to disagree with you about the icing. The NHL hasn’t smartened up at all. They didn’t remove the dangerous races for the puck. The eliminated the safest play… where a defensman is obviously going to reach the puck first and touch for icing.

If it’s close… it’s full steam ahead.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

There is obviously no point in addressing anyone who begins a “debate” by saying “No one will ever be able to convince me”.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• Habs_Norway says:

If something has been in the game for 100 years, then i would dare to say that its “a part of the game”.
      Its a part of NHL, not necessary “the game of hockey” – but certainly north american hockey.

i have never, ever, understood why certain people want to change things. “change the culture”. Wtf. Its changed enough thanks to feminized reporters. 10 years ago the grown men could enjoy a beer in the locker-room. What to you think they will write if they see that today?

No, the “changes” have gone too far already.
      There are other hockeyleagues in the world that you could see.
      Like i do, i COULD be a fan of european bandy/hockey/no-checking hockey – but im not. Thats why i watch the NHL.

Americans who doesnt want fighting CAN watch the czech league , the swedish or the finnish.

“good hockey, large ice and no fighting, only technique”.. Whats the problem?

______________________________________
      Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

53. Rad says:

“In the end, the joyful return of hockey proved to be anything but.”
    –Dave Stubbs

54. Ozmodiar says:

Hockey doesn’t need fighting. We’ve all seen plenty of hockey games where there was no fighting, and I’m sure some of those were among the best games we’ve seen.

On the other hand, the NHL does need fighting. Why? Well, because it’s a self-policing league. As some have pointed out, without fighting there would likely be more guys like Kaleta running around, taking liberties with the skill players without repercussions.

“Just suspend them if they get outta line!!!”, you say? Well, not so fast. The NHLPA would take issue with that. The union, and its players, don’t want to lose the game cheques. Any disciplinary framework strict enough to clean up the game to the point where self-policing wasn’t necessary would be too expensive for the PA to accept.

“Trim the roster sizes by one player!!!”, you say? Nope. Again, the PA would not accept that.

So, here we are, with the front-line rule enforcers being the enforcers. A hockey ecosystem that both the League and the PA are quite comfortable living with for the foreseeable future .

• twilighthours says:

I’ll give you that – until the NHLPA gets serious about getting rid of fighting, it will be tough.

But we’ve seen the NHL break the NHLPA time and time again, so maybe not that tough.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Great post.

The crucial distinction between the sport and the league is one I often bang on about, just not as eloquently. More like — hockey good, NHL bad. I detest the NHL, the NHLPA is an ugly perversion of its rightful purpose.

• Mattyleg says:

Good point.
      Perhaps instead of getting rid of fighting, the penalty should be stiffer, like 20-30 minutes.

That would discourage coaches from icing fighters, knowing that they would be playing with smaller rosters, and would encourage turtling, or non-fighting.

Fight away, but be prepared to pay heavily for it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Chuck says:

I think that they need a penalty that would immediately affect the teams. Yes, sitting a player who fought for 20 minutes would keep them off the ice, but imaging what a 5-minute instigator penalty and resulting powerplay would do to start changing coaches minds on fighting… and make EVERY fight come with an instigator.

_______________________
        Anything is possible.

• Mattyleg says:

That’s pretty good, but it’s hard to trust the referees with that kind of power.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Matty, is it the refs not coping (and/or abusing power), or is it refs following orders from above?

The suspicion I can’t shake is that the league interferes with its own regulations and officiating with a (misguided, hockey-betraying) view to attracting profitable interest from MMA and wrestling fans.

• Cal says:

If the NHLPA doesn’t want to ensure the safety of their members they are, in a word, morons. Why are they so eager to protect a-holes like Colton Orr, but aren’t so quick to protect players like Sydney Crosby?
      The same goes for the NHL. Incompetent morons.

• Mattyleg says:

The same way unions everywhere protect their most incompetent and profession-damaging employees, while ignoring the issues that would make their best employees do their jobs even better.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Ozmodiar says:

They try to protect Crosby from Kaleta by having Orr on the ice…. as long as Orr follows a “code” that everyone can live with (leave Crosby alone).

They believe an on ice enforcer = less stick work/cheap shots = less discipline cases to Shanahan. They’d rather see a fight than a 1 game suspension + lost pay cheque.

• Habs_Norway says:

Because hockey isnt soccer?
        Look at Messi, C.Ronaldo or any other “superstars”.
        Like Pelé in New York, “dont tackle him”.
        Pelé didnt get tackled ONCE during his stay in MetroStars.
        a friend of my uncle played in the US against him, and the REFS came in to the lockerroom and said “no 10 shall not be tackled”.

Why do people want to “protect” the “superstars” ?

If theyre not playing under the same conditions as everybody else, they dont have the “superstar”-status in my book.
        Look at Maurice Rocket.

if a player has to have “help” from the refs, then they aren’t half as good as people say.
        Just as players who drink and smoke and can compete at the same level (and better) than the a4-professionals should deserve greater respect than the others.

______________________________________
        Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

55. francbiss says:

Eller is on par for 246 points this season. Watch out Gretzky!!

56. veryhabby says:

Today, I’ve been married for 20 yrs. Good for me, as the fact is that I am married to a leaf loving husband and actually moved to TO from MTL for the sake of love. Yes love can be stupid some times. One thing that HAS NEVER EVER happened in 20 yrs is my husband EVER say anything nice about the habs. I had a meeting last night and missed most of the game. Saw the 3rd period and heard my husband say 2, yes 2, nice things about the habs.

#1. “Price has been playing real well tonight, made some “lucky” saves (lol he can only be so nice) but still he made them”

#2. “That Eller kid is impressive. He is the best player on the ice for either team, period”

Ya, maybe he was just trying to get lucky…. but still, wow I take that to the bank as facts or he never would have said it

57. Ali says:

Yes it’s just one game. But we saw two things last night that showed Therrien et co have not changed their thinking on two important points:

1) Desharnais will get all the ice time he wants, without having to produce, while others who do more with less will not.

2) The Habs will be the only team in the NHL who refuse to use their Norris winning, best defenseman on the penalty kill.

58. Habfan10912 says:

The game always seems to be the result of one or two plays. Markov’s turnover leading to a breakaway seemed to be the game changer. If Price could have stopped that shot the game turns back in our favor. One play. Game. Set. Match.
    Pricebots- not a shot at Price. Sometimes a goalie can cover for a gross mistake. He wasn’t able to that particular play.

• New says:

Over at NHL com you can suffer through a short commercial and see the goal. Toronto caught Montreal cheating with all five players between Leafs and the boards. Not only is Montreal not going to score from there but the guy at the point (covering for the Norris winner 2013) if pressured is going the wrong way, leaving three leafs alone going North to South.

Really chancy PP play but a wet dream if you’re on the PK. You’re almost sure to get an offside at worst, a break away or 2 on 1, but the play does work sometimes in the NHL and more often in junior where the PK is slower.

Why would the Habs do this? Because they did not have the size out there to get control of that puck. They had to win the faceoff or kick the puck back to the free man on the circle. The bad play was moving the puck back to the point with only one guy back and everyone but Leafs going in.

Totally outcoached by Carlyle.

Plekanic, Briere and Markov were a disaster out there last night! Discipline, focus, slow puck movement and to many players not moving their feet contributed to a loss to start the season.

On a positive note, the kid line was great and never stopped working. Price played a very good game, even though his D is still very soft and takes far to long to get possession of the puck in our end.

Not a good start, but we now know what is needed and where our weakness’s are to be corrected. One week to get it right!

60. Mattyleg says:

Too many people on this site are a joke.

We’ve played one game and:

a) Therrien is going to be fired
    2) Price is terrible and we’re going to have more than 336 (82×4) goals scored against us this year
    iii) The majority of our players are weak/small/unskilled/overvalued/underused/unhappy/overconfident/injury-prone/out of shape…

All this from one game.

…and don’t give me the male-cow-created-fertilizer that all of your blinkered, biased, and poorly-formed opinions are the result of:

1) Statistics
    ii) Observations over the past year or 2/3/4/5/6…
    c) Bipolar/Toronto-centric/Francophone pundits’ ‘opinions’

because the only real place from which these conclusions come is from the deep recesses of posters’ lower colonic tract.

I’m not so naive as to think that we shouldn’t be able to identify weaknesses in our team, but I also think that we should’t dwell incessantly on them and turn them into bizarre fetishes.

Especially not after one game.

ps. I will not reply to anybody trying to ‘justify’ their stance on any of the items listed above. Not worth my time at the best of times, and certainly not after the first game of the season.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JohnBellyful says:

Geez, what a killjoy.
      I mean, killpout.

PS: Why can’t more people around here be sulks — “to be angry or upset about something and to refuse to discuss it with other people”

• Mattyleg says:

The greatest idea ever.
        Do what I do: take it out on the ones closest and most dear to me, and come on here and be cheerful for a bunch of strangers!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. Kooch7800 says:

Lets look at the positives….Eller looked insanely good and he usually has slow starts. The kids who we will need to play well did. Moen looked to be his old self. he is lighter this year but is looking a lot meaner. The fourth line actually played well. With Parros out for awhile maybe Bournival will get a couple of games to see what he can do. If not put Whitey in there. Our fourth line with Prus Bournival and moen could actually maybe provide a bit of offense as well.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

62. ZepFan2 says:

If this team didn’t have bad luck they’d have no luck at all. Looks like another injury parade year has begun.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

For Your Life

63. Habfan10912 says:

Parros’ scan reportably came back negative. Seems to be concussion only. Best news we could expect.

• Stevie.Ray says:

@LavoieRenaud: No bone fracture for George Parros. He had a CT Scan and first indications are negatives. So as of right now it’s a concussion. #canadiens

I think he’ll be alright, but by no means should they rush him back.

• Kooch7800 says:

God I hope they rest him for a bit. he will be fighting as soon as he is back I am sure so he needs to rest.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

All he can do is fight, Kooch. He has no other value. Goons like him and Orr don’t belong in a legitimate sport team.

• Kooch7800 says:

Jim, I will give Parros credit…he looked great on the 4th line in the first. They created energy, had a decent forecheck and they were physical.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• New says:

Parros looked good until he started fighting. The leafs had problems handling a big body in their zone. Once he took himself off for half the period the Habs missed that more than the Leafs missed Orr.

• Habs_Norway says:

must be the dumbest thing ive ever read.
            goon has apparently got a new definition since last time i checked.
            But hey, what hasnt gotten a new definition nowadays… pathetic.

______________________________________
            Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• Kooch7800 says:

Question….I wonder if Prust is not 100%. Anytime someone went to engage with him last night someone else jumped in and quickly (minus the tussle he had near the end).

I can’t wait till we have Emelin, Murray and Tinordi on the back end with Diaz and Subban and Markov.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Luke says:

Maybe he was trying to play hockey? Naw, who am I kidding… its not in his make up to just play hockey…

• Kooch7800 says:

nah, it just seemed like when he would get in a tussle one of the other habs (one being Tinordi) immediately jumped in

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

64. francbiss says:

I watch with passion the World Junior every years. I watch all the games since TSN started to show them. I also watch most of the Olympic hockey in Vancouver and not once I tough to myself “Gee, this is boring there’s no fighting” or “look at all the rats somebody better start a fight to put them back in their place”. the rules at the IIHF level seems to me better defined than the one from the NHL leaving less room for Refs to decide the outcome of a game.

Fight is unfortunately a sub-culture within hockey. Ever notice that their no “rats” or enforcers on the potential Team Canada rooster? Is someone sincerely thinks that Canada has no chance to win gold because Chris Neil won’t be able to change the momentum?

Time to grow up as fans. It’s only a matter of time before somebody dies on the ice.

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree 100% it devalues the game. The fights are on sports highlight shows in the US and are often followed by various jokes and ridicule. Grow the game? Make the sport appear legitimate!

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I can only agree. I like to add that most fights are boring to watch as well. Why not make a shirt pulling contest with some strippers in the intermission instead?

• Habs_Norway says:

Seriously, do you find olympic hockey half as entertaining as a regular season NHL match???

Unless some of you guys are so naive (or history-less) then think of this: First they remove the fighting, whats next?
      No hits, like in olympics and some countries in europe.
      EVERY SINGLE OPEN ICE HITS results in 5 min and suspension.

Subban wouldn’t have got workers permit over here!
      And thats why PK was not a safe-choice for the squad.
      Because of his hits.
      Hits are not tolerated in international hockey, because of the families and little children that watch the game.

Because european children are softer than american.

“It’s only a matter of time before somebody dies on the ice.”
      I apologize for the post above; THIS is the dumbest thing ive read. Thank you:)

ehm.. people HAS died on the ice.
      in the 1900s people got killed by hockeysticks.

And in my life-span, 3 players has almost got killed by skates cutting their throat.
      Skates and pucks have inflicted more damage to the players the last 15 years than fighting.

______________________________________
      Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

65. Stevie.Ray says:

Nathan Beaulieu got sent down last night.

Apparently this is so he can get in the last AHL preseason game. I read it might also save us a little cap room but that stuff is over my head.

• Habfan10912 says:

OK, thanks for your explanation. I was head scratching when I heard it. I hope he’s in the lineup Saturday. He could help the 2nd pp unit.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi stevie
      Cap spending is calculated daily throughout the season, so yes, there is a miniscule Cap saving and pro rated NHL salary save when a guy is not on the official roster during the regular season.

66. twilighthours says:

@Bill. It was 6:22 on the east coast (aren’t you a maritimer, too?). But I’ve had my share of 5:00 wake ups – I’ve got a 2 year old boy and nothing they do makes sense!

67. Small_Town_Boy says:

I will no longer debate over Carey Price it was & will always continue to be a useless topic. But I will say that Price needs to stay a foot in front of his blue paint to be successful, he needs to come out and challange the shooters. I hope that Waite works on this with him. Carey needs a mean streak to let players know he is behind them.

Diaz, Markov, Boullion, DD, Gionta, Pleks, all need to go. Briere will be a non factor this season…

Dat’s wha me tinks