About last night …

PaRROSRYNBEND

But you know what?

Caution is for pussies.

In the ALN section of HIO, we don’t do caution. We leap to conclusions with hops that an NBA All-Star would envy.

Seriously, it’s WAY too early for dramatic pronouncements.

Well, except for one: They have to get fighting out hockey.

No, this is not a cynical attempt to exploit the horrific George Parros injury for cheap politically-correct points. Parros was the victim of a freak accident. It’s just too bad his kids were at the game to see their father wheeled off the ice on a stretcher.

If there were no fighting in the NHL, Parros wouldn’t have been in the opening-night lineup. Neither would his dancing partner, the Leafs’ Colton Orr. That’s two more spots for skill players on the respective rosters.

Fighting in pro sports is pointless and stupid. It’s an automatic ejection in tough, physical sports such as football, soccer and basketball.

You say it keeps players honest and protects the smaller skill guys?

Right.

So Parros wins a close decision in his first fight with Orr. Travis Moen pounds out a solid decision over Mark Fraser, and Jarred Tinordi punches out Carter Ashton.

Did it change the momentum of the game?

Did it give David Desharnais more room to roam on the ice?

Then there’s the entertainment argument.

“Does anyone go to the bathroom during a fight?” the Don Cherry constituency asks.

How about we introduce a new crowd-pleasing element: The First Star of every game is fondled by a stripper at centre ice.

No one would go to the bathroom.

Alright, enough ranting from the Ol’ Blogger, who is infrequently sought out for advice by Brendan Shanahan.

The Canadiens won a couple fights and lost the game. The home team was second best in most of the puck battles against a Leafs lineup that includes not one player less than 6 feet tall.

The Canadiens have eight players under that bar. And the aforementioned DD, Brian Gionta and Daniel Brière had very quiet nights against Toronto.

In the postgame show on TSN 690, the lads were asking why 6’2″ Lars Eller – two goals and an assist, six SoG, two hits and 50 per cent on draws – played 16:20 while DD – zero points, one SoG, no hits and 6-4 in the faceoff circle – played 18:24.

The even-strength minutes were fairly even for the two centres, but Desharnais added 3:19 on the power play to 1:29 for Eller.

Alex Galchenyuk had two assists and was plus-2 in 13:23 – less ice time than Gionta, Rene Bourque (who actually played well), Brière and Max Pacioretty.

On a team with three second lines, the EGG (Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher) aggregation was the home team’s best – by a lot.

Perhaps DD, the captain and Brière will fare better against teams less physical than the Leafs.

Unfortunately for the Canadiens, the Atlantic Division includes – in addition to Toronto – the Bruins, Senators, Sabres and two Florida teams that aren’t exactly shrinking violets.

Positive note: the Canadiens fourth line – with and without Parros – played well. Moen was particularly energetic.

Maybe DD and the boys can fatten up against Detroit.

Yeah, right.

The radio guys also were wondering why a Norris Trophy defenceman played 44 seconds on the Canadiens penalty-kill while Raphael Diaz played 6:20.

I didn’t like Diaz during the pre-season, and my dissatisfaction carried over into the opener.

Yes, the guy is good on the PP. His patience and slick passing created a goal. But Diaz has no physical game, and Michel Therrien is pairing him with Andrei Markov, who sorely needs the kind of hard-hitting partner that Alexei Emelin was before he wrecked his knee last season.

Markov is still a force on the PP and occasionally zips off a nifty outlet pass. But the veteran Dman was caught flat-footed at the Toronto blueline on a Canadiens’ power play, and Tyler Bozak wheeled away to score the goal that turned the game in Toronto’s favour.

If Carey Price stops Bozak on the second-period breakaway, it’s 2-2 and who knows? But Price didn’t have much chance on the other goals, and I thought he made some big stops.

James Reimer faced 37 shots, but there wasn’t much in the way of sustained Canadiens pressure. And the Leafs, winning puck battles all over the ice, had more clear-cut scoring chances.

Heading into the season, I thought the Canadiens had issues on the back end.

P.K. is incomparable, of course, and was excellent against his hometown team. Josh Gorges was steady and ended the night at plus-1. Jarred Tinordi played a shade under 15 minutes, blocked two shots and did not look out of place.

But Markov, Diaz and a game-but-slow-and-undersized Francis Bouillon …

Emelin is sorely missed. I’m not counting on much from Davis Drewiske or Douglas Murray (who seems to get hurt climbing out of bed in the morning).

There’s help in the system – Nathan Beaulieu is up for the time being, Darren Dietz and Magnus Nygren looked promising in pre-season – but it doesn’t do to rush defence prospects unless they’re high first-round blue chippers.

Philadelphia is at the Bell Centre on Saturday.

There could be fighting.

•  •  •

Guest Comment from savethepuck:

Yeah I’m a glass half full guy, but maybe I saw the game differently than some, and it makes me sleep better at night and doesn’t make me get so worked up over a regular season loss. It’s an 82 game season and there will be games when breaks go the other way. I’m not even going to bother arguing with those who are blaming Price, I’m starting to realize it’s a waste of time, like beating your head against a wall. It was a crazy hockey game, seemed like both teams were playing run and gun and giving up a lot of glorious scoring opportunities at both ends. Habs went down 1-0 on a 5 on 3 PP but the Habs fought back and tied it up ( on an incredible patient hockey play by some Diaz guy that most here hate ). The kid line then tied it up and things were looking good. Leafs tied it on a great shot by Phaneuf and then went ahead on a short handed goal by Bozak. That goal rolled off Markov’s stick at the blueline, and Carey may of cheated a bit thinking Bozak was going to deke to the forehand before he went high blocker, but I’m not going start blaming anyone because it’s pointless. The backbreaker was the 4th goal, which was one of the luckiest bounces you will see pop back on the stick of Mason Raymond. This was one out of 82 games that either team could of won, if the Habs are well below 500 after 20 games, I’ll start to worry a little.

1. Les-Habitants says:

Good pick on the guest comment by savethepuck, Boone. Thought it was bang on.

2. Eddie says:

It would be comical if it wasn’t so sad. Tight game. Habs take a penalty. Other team sends on their very best; we will see “world class” power play players this season; Crosby, Malkin, Datsuk, and it goes on and on.

We have a “world class” defender; one of the great athletes in the game, and reigning Norris Trophy winner. He stays on the bench and watches.

Why?

• 123456 says:

subban played almost 25 minutes – yes he can be used on the PK but then when back at even strength who is the shut down guy and scoring threat (cube and diaz??) there is a balance that MT needs to use.

• Habfan10912 says:

What made it so frustrating for me last night was we spent the better part of a period shorthand and the teams best player was nailed to the bench.

• Chris says:

What did you think of Tinordi’s play last night, Ed? I thought he had a very off game, but I’d like your take as somebody who seems to follow defencemen a little more carefully than I do.

• Eddie says:

Chris, I read your post about Tinordi below and I agreed with it. The young man was caught flat footed several times, and that is never going to work out for a man his size. Clearly, he has work to do. They will show him the film and get him to keep his feet moving.

That said, I really like Tinordi going forward. He will be much better after Christmas.

3. John Q Public says:

Quote of the year so far:

“Currently on pace for a 264-point campaign in 2013-14 after racking up two goals and an assist in Game 1″

4. Who thinks MT lasts past this season?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

5. Les-Habitants says:

Thought that, outside the two goaltenders, it was a pretty sloppy night of hockey for all the skaters (refs included).

In short:
    We need PK on the PK, EGG line showed some serious flashes, the vet lines will get going (not concerned), not sure Diaz is ready for top 4, Tinordi is here to stay, and Price is a gamer – loved his play.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Tinordi play with Markov, sooner rather than later. By the time Murray is ready for game action, I think Tiny will have cemented himself as our 4th D man.

6. yakhab says:

I have a solution !
    The NHL should adopt womans hockey rules
    Absolutely :
    – no fighting
    – no contact

• Habs_Norway says:

yes! do it 100%
      i also think that every player should wear a grid.
      If Parros had had one last night, nothing would have happened. Just a bump in the metal.
      Goalies wear it, they see the puck perfectly.

______________________________________
      Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

7. alfieturcotte says:

In case you all have not debated this ad nauseam….Carey Price allowed 4 goals, including a couple of softies, and record for the night was a .894 Sv % (that’s a 4.07 GAA). I would certainly not call that a strong night’s performance.

Don’t let the Pricebots fool you, what we saw was another typical Price day at the office. Stops some shots, makes a few good saves, but fails to come up with the big ones when most needed. Sound familiar?

8. krob1000 says:

Is Taransky stil Habs property? He looked fine to me in the preseason and held his own…with him and/or White in the lineup the HAbs are still easily tough enough to continue to compete until Murray and Parros return. I actually thought Tarnasky was better as a hockey player than I expected when I saw him in Ottawa. He had a couple of spurts and glimpses that surprised me.

9. nunacanadien says:

That’s it our year is screwed again, our tough got hurt. Our one tough guy.

The habs have always gone way too small, thinking skating fast wins games. Guess what, it doesn’t. Enough of this hedging your year on one tough guy.

10. HankHardball says:

To appease the old schoolers who need their fight fix, why not replace the shoot out with a center ice fight to decide who wins a tie. And eliminate fighting from the regular game.

On the reality side, if fighting is such an integral part of hockey, why are we going to the Olympics?

Frankly, the international game is now better hockey than the NHL. And proof that hockey will survive quite nicely, thank you, when fighting is eliminated.

11. adamkennelly says:

our D was crap – prolly about par for the course this year…too many of them are not that good….

DD, Briere and Pax – were invisible.
    Pleky, Bourque and Gio were ok – generated some scoring chances.
    Eller and G squared were by far the best line of the night
    4th line was excellent – terrible injury aside – they did their job, generated some scoring chances and played a really good game for them.

Price – was his usual self – a bit shaky – not making the big save when needed- he’s gonna have a long year with that D.’

12. jrs10069 says:

I’m convinced that Orr knew what he was doing when he went down, pulling Parros’s face into the ice. Hopefully its gets a real good look, put the mf out for good.

jrs10069

13. Bim says:

I thought Habs lost last night for two reasons: Markov and Diaz were brutal. Markov is so slow and quite frankly has outlived his usefulness. Diaz is just plain soft. The other reason is the DD line. Habs need a BIG Centre to make that line go. Otherwise that line will be the biggest disappointment this year. I’m for packaging Markov and LeBlanc for a Centre and trading DD to whoever will take him, even a bag of hockey sticks.

14. krob1000 says:

Thank you Mattyleg…took the subway to the game at Lionel Groulx..worked like a charm. Arrived there and some guy from a company offered me his company spot so we wouldn’t get towed….had to be back by 10:30pm? So some guy said “I’ll call my secretary and you can have my spot”..welcome to Montreal! After me ranting about our preseason game in Ottawa with 8 regulars dressing I must say that last night was one of the best experiences ever. Little man and me arrived in Montreal around 3:30 and walked to the arena. He bought a few things and then we went to get a bite to eat. We walked out of the arena and I asked two guys in suits for directions to Crescent St….the instant the guy startied giving me directions I realized who it was….it was Joe Bowen…didn’t recognize until he spoke lol.

When we got back to the arena RDS was making hockey cards of people for free…my little guy has apparently changed his last name to Galchenyuk! NExt we tried to get down the street and I walked on the wrong side of a rope…we weren’t moving? I asked what the hold up was and someone said you are in the autograph/picture line? I looked over and there was Guy and Rejean Houle…of course we waited that out! Got pictures and to shake hands with Guy and Rejean and The Flower held up the little man for the photo.

When inside we had 300 level tickets but I wanted to see the warmup from below…tried a couple of ushers who said no….found one talking and went in and we headed for the Habs end and waited about 10 minutes and were right against the glass. My son was super excited and had his newly purchased Pacioretty figure and Galchenyuk banner.. so when the Habs came out to warmup he was hypnotized….Subban puts on a show in warmup! He does EVERYTHING super fast. HE was amazing to watch. Galchenyuk nodded at my son and then we see Daniel Briere making eye contact with us. HE scoops up a puck and tosses it over to us! My little guy was loving every second of it. A few minutes later to top things off! George Paros comes over and does the exact same thing. Two new guys who immediately knew how to impact fans and made the game something my son and myself will not forget.
    The intensity, the roar of the crowd, the passion (especially when negative and focussed on zebras) was something to behold….I have been to the Bell before but never a week after being in Ottawa…that just emphasized how special Montreal is.

The game itself was up and down and while the LEafs won, there were many positives in Price, Eller, Gallagher,etc. I think Pleks line and the 4th line were drained from all of the PK situations. The Habs had some issues in their own end but so did the Leafs…I thought the Habs outplayed the LEafs in the LEafs end pretty consistently…unfortunately nobody appears to like to shoot at the net…they seem to really like the glass above it though! Reimer played well and some bum luck.
    I see the negativity on here and I just didn’t see it that way…I may have been too enthralled in the atmosphere and the night we were having but I saw a team struggling with coverage in the slot…easy fix. I saw a team that missed a lot of nets…easy fix. I saw a team that had its energy drained by pk’s and still held their own. The pleks line still had its chances, Patches being hurt disrupted that lines flow, Prust, Moen and Parros rarely got to play together as one of them wasa always in the box…that left the EGG line as the only line that appeared to roll somewhat regulary as a unit…and they were really effective.
    A 5 on 3, a bounce of a dmans skate, a Markov bobble….all not things that happen every game. I think the doom and gloomers are a little premature.
    If there is something to be gloomy about it was the Parros incident…I had no idea what happened until I got home….ugly…hope he is ok. He was part of a memorable night for us and has instantly endeared himself to my little guy. The Habs had a lot of energy most of the night but therre were two significant moments that played a huge role….when the Habs had the pp and Markov coughed up that shorty…that was a momentum sucker. Following the Parros incident as welll…..the habs let down and that was when Toronto scored again…it wasn;t until Eller’s goal that the building was back to itself and the team as well….can’t say I blame them. The Habs had a few chances to tie it.
    There was some very bizarre reffing or so it appeared without the luxury of replay. How Prust got an extra I will never know…you could see he intentionally tried to take one for the team there and I believe he expected to get the Habs the pp with that effort…everyone thought that…to have Montreal short? weird. There were some other non calls in crucial times and some calls against mOntreal that were let go the other way but I guess that is the way the cookie crumbles.
    All in all it was a great night and I think there is more to look forward than not! Bring on Philly!

• Cal says:

Glad you had a fantastic time, krob. Your son will remember that day always.

• 123456 says:

krob great story – not sure how old your little man was but as i was reading your story i kept thinking…. oh no the kid saw the stretcher. mine is 9 and it would have bothered him to see it in person.

i have only been to a game twice. 2 yrs ago with my then 7 son and a few years before that with my then 6 year old daughters. it’s an experience never to be forgotten. i still remember how my stomach felt when i walked into the arena.

• krob1000 says:

only 5 …so somewhat oblivious to the consequence. He didn’t like that it was the guy who gave him a puck but I told him it was a precaution to make sure he is ok and so he doesn’t get any more hurt. He asked who else has been hurt like that…lightbulb moment! List is scary…markov knees, Gorges Knees, Gionta arms, Prust shoulders, Eller concsuioon, Patches concussion, gallagher concussions, Murray, shoulder, Parros concussion, Emelin knee,etc…once he said that I started thinking about just how amny of these guys ahve been pretty seriously hurt over the last few years…really scary actually and understandable as to why the letdown in energy after the incident.

• Thank you for posting this great story. It so hard to come here after a loss, you and a few others make it easier to visit.

Well done!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

Thanks for sharing Krob, enjoyed reading that. So happy for you and your little guy, that is just awesome!

• BJ says:

Great story. Thanks. It reminds me of my first game at the Forum with my father in 1952. It was actually a game between the Montreal Royals and Saguenéens de Chicoutimi, I was four years old and still remember it.

• JohnBellyful says:

Loved it!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good job krob, thanks for sharing.

15. habsmandes says:

They should call up Greg Pateryn and have him play with Markov. He’s solid defensively and has a little offence and it’s the type of player Markov needs right now to back him up. He’s got muscle and can handle the rough stuff. I don’t think Markov is at his peak right now and hopefully with time he will improve, but he needs someone to back him up and although I love Diaz, this pairing is not going to help Markov get his abilities back.

16. habtastic74 says:

As many others have done, I shall share my random thoughts and takeaways from last night’s game…

-Both of our top 2 lines were completely invisible almost the entire game. Max Pac was the only one who seemed capable of creating his own chances.

-Our bottom 2 lines were both great. I don’t even need to say anything about the Eller line, but that 4th line was actually really impressive. Parros appeared as if he could be a decent energy player in addition to being a fighter. Moen looked awake too, so that’s a huge plus.

-The first goal against Price was bad. It went right through him, which seems to happen to him WAY too much. The breakaway goal was also about as weak as a breakaway goal can be. Had he played it right and still gotten beat then I would have no problem, but with Markov right on Bozak’s tail Price needs to read the situation and challenge Bozak much better than he did. He played it very poorly.

-That being said, Price made some big saves. For a first game of the year, this was about what you expect. He was generally good, but maybe a little out of rhythm on a couple plays. If our defense was better, then his rustiness would not have been exploited so much.

-How on earth did we get an extra penalty after the Prust/Fraser thing? I mean it’s not like Prust just got checked from behind or like the Leafs had 6 players on the ice or anything like that. I’m not even sure what the extra call on us even was.

-Oh, and Briere’s usage during the ceremony upset me a little. So, he’s Francophone…We get it. If we are singling out someone to take on that role it should have been one of our core players. Maybe a Gally? Subban or Patches? Price? Anyone but a new player basically?

-Lastly, I’ll say that I’ve generally been in the “Diaz is a useful player, but he is over-used by MT and should never kill penalties” camp. Well, aside from one gorgeous play that ended up being the first goal, he was atrocious last night. As was Bouillion (who really impressed me during the pre-season). Markov really seemed pretty decent though defensively aside from the game’s biggest mistake. He didn’t play much in the pre-season, so that may have been a rusty play. I’m not worried about him right now.

That’s all I have to say about last night’s game. Thanks for reading.

17. Edman says:

OK people.

Let’s just calm down. Game 1 of 82 and we lost. Oh well.

3 goals were scored off odd bounces, JVR attempted a pass and pinballed through Price’s pads, Bozak gets a breakaway from an oddly bouncing/rolling puck, and Raymond uses the force to get that puck to bounce right back on his stick.

The 1 good goal was Phaneufs, and he didn’t even look where he was shooting (head down the whole time) so some could say that was lucky too.

Price wasn’t terrible, he looked shaky but think of how much pressure is on this guy this year. I think one of his biggest flaws is he is TOO technical. He knows where the puck SHOULD be going and when it makes some stupid bounces, that’s when he is in trouble. He made some spectacular saves when the score was 4-2. Leave him alone.

I though Briere wasn’t bad, he didn’t score, but he looked better than Ryder most of last year.

EGG was fantastic, and a lot of people give MT slack for only playing them for 13min. Well it’s a long season, and if that line can produce half of what they did last night in every 13min of game time then thats amazing. Don’t want to burn them out.

Overall I have to disagree with Boone, I think the Habs were the better team before the Parros accident. They were faster, moved the puck better, and had more QUALITY scoring chances.

Hats off to Reimer, he played great.

Habs will be fine, this team looked more like the 12-13 team than the 11-12 team, and that is great news.

Sidenote: Eller looks possessed.
    Double Sidenote: Galchenyuk hits were awesome

-Follow Me @EddieThoughts

18. formerly known as the hc says:

My two cents… Missed the game, very long day at work. Fighting? I am ok with fighting….spontaneous acts that erupt when tempers flare. For the life of me though, I can’t see how a staged fight is a hockey play. You want to change momentum? Try skating harder, playing more physically, play smarter. It works in other sports.

19. wjc says:

First game: Canadiens 0 and 1. That is zero wins, one loss.

Insights on dangers: boards to hard, ice too hard, pucks to hard and fired dangerously, sticks waved to high during shooting process. Net frames to hard, skates to sharp, edges dangerous, players too big and too fast, crowds to loud (hearing damage).

Not to forget gambling on games and becoming addicted to gambling. And peope harrassing people after their team loses causing hurt feelings.

People with bad hearts etc. getting too excited causing spikes in blood pressure. Food unsafe because of unhealthy nature of deep frying etc.

Too many people gathered in one place, there could be an outbreak of something and cause a pandemic. Too many cars trying to leave or come could be a fatality in the making.

Too much emotion causing fans to lose sleep, beat their wives, kick the cat, express their opinions in an unhealthy way.

Too much money spent that could be used for little Johnny’s education.

Too many people taking to many games too serious and causing depression and perhaps suicide.

So many dangers. Parros did a boo boo, hurt his chin perhaps rattled his brain. Orr did the right thing and showed concern for a fellow human being. Both well paid and know the dangers and accept it. Apparently paying customers know the possibilities and accept it with great anticipation.

People get hurt, and unless you change the game, your only choice is too get Ian Cobb to find you a new hobby. I suggest bopper ball.

Two people wrapped in bubble suits swat a nerf ball back and forth accross the lawn and first one to miss is down one point. Games go to 100 but if it is too stressing to keep score just yell yea and good try until you tire.

wjc

20. Eddie says:

How about Lafleur passing the torch to Briere, as the 1st player introduced?

What a moment!

Guess if it was Brendan Morrow instead of Briere they would have had to redo the opening ceremony a little.

• Maritime Ronn says:

It was a good ‘business decision’…..

• Ron in Ottawa says:

Rant 1.I think the habs’ recent history with pre-game ceremonies shows that whenever these spectacles take place the habs lose. Forget the torch- play hockey.
      Rant2: the Paros fight should be one of many prompts to the league to do something about these idiot fights. one of these days someone will die from one of these adventures then maybe the league will take a stand. I’m sure Don Cherry loved the fight and i’m sure his heart goes out to the wounded warrior.
      Rant 3: time to cut Markov loose while we can still get something for him. Throw in Bourke and get a third round draft pick.

• Edman says:

It was the ice that hurt him, so i think they should play floor hockey. Nobody got hurt at the Canada camp.

Zednik got his throat cut by a freak accident skate, skates are dangerous, another argument for floor hockey.

*obvious sarcasm*

-Follow Me @EddieThoughts

21. John Q Public says:

Max pac seems injury prone to me, not good.
    Briere signed for marketing value.
    This is what you get when you treat the preseason like a joke.
    Players playing when they shouldn’t and others still in preseason.
    Refs and the NHL ? Can’t stop laughing!
    Public perception of the team is good but reality is a different story.

Let the tank begin. Too early?

22. Habsrule1 says:

I read all these rants about stopping fighting. The fact of the matter is the PLAYERS want it in the game.
    I don’t mind reading opinions, as that’s what all this is for, but it irks me that any injury in a fight is used as a reason to ban fighting. Pacioretty was injured on a clean check last night. If he’s out for a week, should we ban checking too?
    The one time a player didn’t think fighting was an option in pre-season, he used his stick instead. If a player gets checked and is injured and there’s no fighting in the game, will we see more stick swinging incidents? I guess it’ll depend on what is more severely punished?

Go Habs Go!!

• Maritime Ronn says:

They have to find a way to eliminate the ridiculous staged fight while leaving open the spontaneous-reaction dust up. That outlet has to stay open because during an 82 game schedule, some unintended consequences such as spearing and tomahawk stuff will grow.

How the NHL can do that, or how they can define that, is incredibly difficult.

• Chris says:

There is absolutely no evidence that spearing and tomahawks stuff would grow in the absence of fighting. None.

If there is truly a heat of the moment issue, a guy can jump the other guy and punch him. The difference will be that his intent to injure his opponent will carry an automatic game misconduct and multiple game suspension, just like every other intent to injure.

Fighting will never disappear. But you can probably cut it down to 10-20 per year total in the NHL with suspensions, and there would be no corresponding increase in stick-work or other intent to injure plays.

• Maritime Ronn says:

• Maritime Ronn says:

There is absolutely no evidence that it would not grow because it has never been tried at the NHL level. None.
          Taking it out of the game in 1 fell swoop will cause the rats to rule.
          Deal with the staged fight first. Eliminate that and see where the game goes.

The players will ultimately decide.

• Chris says:

Pacioretty was injured on a hockey play, a legal bodycheck.

Parros was injured on an illegal play, a fight.

I don’t see why this is so difficult. And the “maybe we should ban checking” argument is puerile. Checking, as long as it is legal, IS a hockey play. Every player in the league will throw a check and take a check at some point.

Over 2/3 of the players will never engage in a fight. So how much of a hockey play is it? It isn’t. It is tacitly approved because there are no serious consequences for it.

• Habsrule1 says:

If the only punishment is a 5 minute penalty, it may as well be a hockey play. Tripping, although it is penalized, is a hockey play.

Go Habs Go!!

23. Maritime Ronn says:

Interesting how things work in life sometimes.

– Most people put alarm systems in their homes only AFTER they have experienced a break and entry incident.
    – Most people stop speeding on the highway only AFTER they have received a big dollar ticket or 2.
    – Most people start salting their icy steps and driveway only AFTER someone has taken a tumble and hurt themselves.

As for the NHL, and more importantly the NHLPA, they won’t ban either the stupid, ridiculous ‘Staged fight’ of even spontaneous fighting, until only AFTER someone actually dies on the ice.
    Off season suicides don’t count….

24. CHicoHab says:

I’d like to see Bourque moved down to 4th line. And Prust moved up. How difficult is that. I’d like to see DD not on the power play. How difficult is that. I’d like to see Diaz and Bouillion not on defense. How hard is that. I’d like to see a significant trade that favours us for once. How hard is that. Looking forward to Philly Saturday night.

25. BJ says:

The most uplifting moments of the game were Eller coming back from his serious injury and being dominant and seeing Dickie Moore in the stands, 82 years old and having survived a serious car accident some years ago, he seems to have fallen into a fountain of youth.

26. Dust says:

My thoughts on the game.
    Very entertaining up to the the Parros injury. Its unfortunate, however, I really liked our 4th line with him Prust and Moen.
    Eller had one hell of a game.
    I don’t see Briere and DD working on the same line. I just don’t. IF you need to play two small guys together on the same line than one of those small guys needs to be Gally. At least he plays big.
    Price played well.
    Gionta played well.

It’s game 1… lots of hockey to go.

As far as the fighting in hockey debate goes. If Parros didn’t hit the ice and wasn’t injured, there would be a ton of comments about how it was awesome to see the habs beat up on the leafs. I very much doubt there would be a single post about how fighting needs to be removed from the game.

• Habsrule1 says:

Dust, I totally agree with your comments. I was skeptical about DD & Briere together and I just can’t see it lasting. We have options with Eller & Galchenyuk being bigger guys. Perhaps we can mix & match a little there?
      I liked how a lot of our guys battled, but in the end, the penalties killed us. If we had given up 4 pp’s instead of 7, there’s a decent chance we win that game.
      We’ll get there….good to have things to work on I suppose.

I also agree about the fighting, as I’ve posted below.

Go Habs Go!!

27. JohnBellyful says:

I measure my enjoyment of a game by the number of explosive claps versus the number of ‘Gimme a break!’ exclamations.
    My hands weren’t sore this morning.
    The GABs included the team not being able to get out of its own end multiple times and stupid penalties. If I see one more player reach up with his hand to grab an opponent’s arm, waist, what-have-you … I’ll be looking for another TV.
    As I have said many a time before, what exactly is accomplished by this maneuver? To be effective, it has to be a foul, and if it’s ineffective, why even bother at the risk of being penalized?

28. Habsrule1 says:

It was a good game to watch until the injury. I thought both teams were entertaining and the goaltending was solid. There are things to work on, but I’m pretty pleased with the Habs all in all. They will be a pretty good team and they will make the playoffs.

As far as fighting goes, if memory serves, polls taken with the players almost always shows that they want to keep it in the game. If that’s the case, who are we to say it should be out? That, combined with the fact that people (fans) love fighting. MMA is extremely popular, so why do you think many fans don’t also enjoy a good hockey fight? The only way fighting will ever be taken out of the game is if insurance companies start telling the NHL they will not insure these guys anymore.
    Finally, when kessel determined a fight was not in the cards, he immediately used his stick instead. Is that a precursor to when fighting is never in the cards?

Go Habs Go!!

• Chris says:

Polls of players in the 1970’s said that helmets should not be made mandatory, even after the death of Bill Masterton, caused by striking his skull on the ice.

It took 11 years and numerous votes by the NHL and NHLPA to finally make helmets mandatory. And even then, it was grandfathered in.

Not everything in life should be subject to what people want. Seeking referenda on important issues is the coward’s way of not making a decision. You do it because it is the right thing to do.

Parros could just as easily have hit his head on the ice after being body-checked. But the reality is that a lot of guys have had serious head trauma after fights when striking their head on the ice. It happens more often during a fight than during regular play, and a fight is an illegal play in the game.

What the player’s want is irrelevant. Decisions should be made based on what is best for the players’ healthy and future well-being. The almost non-existent entertainment value of a fight does not offset the suicides, depression, substance abuse and family issues that go along with fighting.

• Habs_Norway says:

By who?
        Non-players? “Doctors” ? Journalists?

______________________________________
        Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• Chris says:

Players are too close to the issue…they cannot be expected to make decisions that protect their own best interests.

Should we leave it to be an individual decision whether people get to drive drunk? (With one dead sibling, I can vouch for the damage that idiots can do.)

Should we leave it as an individual decision whether it is okay to settle our domestic disputes by punching our spouse? Of course not.

In the case of hockey, it is a business. As a business, employers have an obligation to provide their employees with a safe workplace. Fighting has been demonstrated to have catastrophic short-term and long-term health impacts, and it is illegal in the sport. Fighting is not ALLOWED in hockey…it is simply not penalized hard enough to deter it.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Your argument falls short in the logic area when trying to compare the business of hockey to social issues.

You did get it right when you called hockey a business and that the employer has a responsibility to provide a safe work place.

Where your argument falls flat is not taking into consideration the will of the contract employees and their either overt or tacit approval of their working conditions.

Until the contract employees and employer agree to change, it is their decision and work place

• Chris says:

Ron, there is no issue there.

Go to any construction site and poll the guys whether they want to be wearing hard hats and steel-toed work boots. Even better, do it on a 30+ degrees Celsius day.

You will probably find that the majority of the workers would be in favour of personal choice. But the law makes it mandatory. The NHL does not actually need the NHLPA’s consent on issues such as visors, or fighting or other health and safety related issues. They use that as a facade. They are fully within their rights to cite the mounting evidence that fighting poses a significant health risk and move to lower that risk.

As for citing the societal issues, I merely pointed out that many laws are made without broad popular consent. Remember when mandatory seatbelts came in? So many people were offended at the affront to their personal liberty.

Today, it is basically a non-issue. There are still some morons who choose not to wear the seatbelt (and I exclude people who can’t wear a seatbelt for health reasons from the moron list), but for the most part there is no outcry anymore.

Broad consent is not necessary to make changes to the game.

• Habs_Norway says:

“Every country in the world has laws that are implemented to make it difficult for people, who often exercise poor judgement, to hurt themselves or others.”

And in those countries, people are protesting and setting cars and trains on fire.

“Should we leave it as an individual decision whether it is okay to settle our domestic disputes by punching our spouse?”—–

well… in 2013 there are no such things as “ladies and gentlemen”.
            “Equal rights”. Men should not treat women as women, but as men. Women should not treat men like men, but like women.
            Thats the reality theese days, so your logic falls on its own.

If its okay to hit your brother for beeing a a-hole, then why not the spouse (no matter the gender)

Personally the term “violence” is not the same as it was when i grew up. Im sticking to that definition.

Im not saying im anarchistic or for a “non-law” society, but certainly not the place the world is heading these days.

so in that sense i can understand why some say “fighting has no place in this day and age”. – because of “this day and age” belongs to people i cant stand, and has the complete opposite values and moral that i have.
            Every sinle thing that can be related to “macho”, absolutely everything, will be gone by 10 years.
            And i dont like that!
            It started with soccer beeing turned into a non-contact sport in the early 2000s.
            Then the rapmusic got f’up
            And now the hockey is heading the same way…

______________________________________
            Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

• Habs_Norway says:

“As a business, employers have an obligation to provide their employees with a safe workplace.”

its a long way from theory and pracis (?)
            I work at a factory. Health, enviroment and safety are priority nr 1. Every day its “safety -this and safety-that”.

Still, a colleague died three years ago in an accident.

And i personally dont say that its “unsafe” just because you end up throwing and taking some punches.
            That has, in my opinion, nooothing to do with “safety”.

What do you say , more people die from getting coconuts in their head than in a plane crash?
            Accidents happen.

Not allowed you say? In the same manner that high-sticking isnt allowed. or elbowing. or chipping the puck over a piece of glass..

______________________________________
            Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

29. JF says:

It seems written in the book of fate that we lose the opener to the Leafs, so I was expecting a loss. It still sucks.

I can’t stand the fighting. It is ruining what should be a game of speed and skill. It is stupid, boring, and mindless. It disrupts the flow of the game and takes roster spots away from skilled players. Some of the most exciting hockey I’ve watched in the last few years was the Olympic hockey tournament in 2010. There was no fighting. There is almost no fighting in the playoffs; people don’t seem to miss it.

I know Parros’s injury was a bit freakish. Still, if there were no fighting, it wouldn’t have happened.

About the actual game. Underwhelming performances by most of our players with a few exceptions. Lars Eller was the best player on the ice for both teams, so I hope we can lay to rest any fears of lingering effects from his injury in May. The two Gallys were also very good.

Price was pretty solid despite the .895 save percentage. He was unlucky on the fourth goal. He often seems to be unlucky.

I liked Travis Moen’s game. He is one player I expect to have a much better season than last year.

I have to agree with the criticisms of Therrien’s PK units. Take DD out, put Eller in. Use Subban a lot more than Diaz.

30. Hello Peoples. I’ll make this short.

Price was great. Some of the Young Guns were great.

The rest are still in pre-season mode.

But Therrien still has to recognize that his best players weren’t on the ice for THE most important of the game.

Next. Marc Bergevin better have ran to Price after the game and reassured him that he will make the defense better. If there is one player on the team you take care of mentally it’s the goalie.

Lastly Carey, that Phaneuf shot was great, but you gotta know that every shooter in the league with a top gun wants to bang it top corner, especially from that angle he came in at. We hockey players no matter how good or bad, come in on angle to hopefully get the goalie out of position just a little, and nail that shot. It’s no secret. The rest of the goals on you were crap, and the Leafs should consider themselves lucky to get a win, cause we gave it to them.

Noting worse than watching the Leafs on opening night and being surrounded by Leaf fans. It’s getting sickening because I don’t remember the last time we beat these guys on opening night, and all my Habs friends have been posted out so I am out numbered 5-1 and it sucks.

I feel for you Ontario brothers and sisters. At least the Leafs sucked while winning if that helps any.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• mksness says:

you can’t lose, give up 4 goals and say a goalie played great.

he’s not the reason they lost and he played well, not great

• Habsrule1 says:

Price made a few insane saves but he has some work to do. I’d agree that he played well, not “great”.

I don’t see a reason for MB to be running to apologize to Price.

Go Habs Go!!

• 38 saves, and kept that game form being 8-3, yeah he was pretty freakin good. The breakaway goal was horrible, that’s about it.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 1.29.31.33

31. Chris says:

From the comments, it seems like I was definitely in the minority.

Diaz is the object of derision today, but his defensive game was no worse than that of Jarred Tinordi. Tinordi was caught flat-footed on numerous rushes, allowing his mark to blow by him to the outside. He was falling all over the defensive zone while battling for the puck. He took the wrong angles and made the wrong pivots on numerous plays, giving his mark even more time to make a play. He had one hit, won a fight, but he was no more effective at clearing the crease than Diaz was. The primary difference is that Tinordi brings absolutely nothing beyond his defensive game, while Diaz is a sorely needed presence on the second wave PP.

I’m not throwing trying to throw Tinordi under a bus. He’s a kid, and he had a bad game. It will happen, and he certainly wasn’t alone in that defensive horror show.

But I’m just a little stunned that Diaz wears the goat horns for his defensive play in a game where he was probably the second best defender on the team behind Subban. Diaz’s mobility covered up for Markov a couple of times in the first period, and his ability for tape-to-tape passes (a rarity on the Habs) created some transition rushes for the Habs.

He’s not a physical defenceman, but he’s not paid to be one. Montreal dressed Gorges, Tinordi, Bouillon and Subban last night, all of whom are supposed to thrive in the defensive zone. For most teams, that is enough. For Montreal fans, it seems like we want to see guys like Tinordi and Gorges manning the point on the power play. Oy vey.

The main beef is Diaz on the PK. That is a coach’s decision. They’ve got a perfectly serviceable, strong bull of a right defenceman sitting on the bench yet Therrien insists on using Diaz and Tinordi instead. Detroit had a small puck-moving defenceman a few years ago that was routinely playing 20+ minutes per game. His name was Brian Rafalski.

The difference was that his coach, one of the best in the game, saw fit to minimize Rafalski’s exposure by limiting his PK duties, playing guys like Brad Stuart or Ruslan Salei or Jonathan Ericsson. Therrien and his staff have a Norris Trophy winning 6’0″, 220 lb. defenceman who is mobile, strong and makes good decisions and they won’t use him.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Walk me through the Leafs 4th and winning goal?
      How did it start?
      Who was caught up the ice after panicking and shooting the puck directly at a Leafs player from close up in the offensive zone.

• mksness says:

you are right but where was eller on the first goal? penalty box and was caught deep in the offensive zone on the 4th. are we saying eller had a bad game?

• Chris says:

It was a bad pinch in a game where the Habs were down a goal. It happens. The Habs were listless, down 3-2 and stunned after the Parros injury. Understandable for a defenceman to try and get something going, even if the pinch was not smart (he should have chipped it down into the corner).

You will see P.K. Subban do the same thing a few times this year as well. Watch the 3rd goal by Phaneuf and tell me who got caught pinching, and who got caught out of position later. :)

• Kooch7800 says:

It is game one so I am not ready to freak out just yet. There was a ton of pp’s that really ruined the game and I actually thought Tinordi did well on the PK.

Our power play that worries me. DD and briere don’t seem to be meshing on it at all. They are both play making centre’s and I think dd needs to be off the PP. In saying that it is one game.

I really hope Parros is okay. I am getting really tired of watching habs players on a stretcher

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

32. Habfan17 says:

I don’t like the EGG line name, I prefer calling them the KEGG line, like a keg of dynamite, they can explode and break a game open at any given time

Habfan17

33. nsflatlander says:

I’ve always loved fighting in hockey. Going to the Jets games as a kid in the 80s with my Dad, and seeing two bruisers throwing haymakers, my heart racing, made me feel satisfied somehow. That even though they’d lost the game, we’d experienced some tough hockey. To me it just didn’t feel like a game unless there were a few fights. The more fights, the more it felt like we’d got our money’s worth.

But that was back when sitting in the nose bleed section meant you had to peer through a haze of smoke, half the time craning your neck around a pole. And the intermission meant a trip to the piss trough. The Eller injury last year was the beginning of my awakening, as I contemplated what it would have been like if my two year old daughter had been watching with me. Well, this morning, I flipped on the PVRed 3rd period (my 6 month old wouldn’t cooperate last night) and went into the kitchen to make the coffee, when from the other room I hear “now that’s not nice…that’s not nice, Daddy Daddy, he popped him!!!” and find my 2 year old daughter (whose already probably seen more games than I did by 10 years old) staring horrified at a limp Parros, blood pooling on the ice.

Now what was going through her mind? How did seeing that shape her personality? I love watching hockey with her, would love to see her play someday, but what was I thinking? I have a feeling like I should be with Parros right now, having my head examined.

Sincerely, Feeling Ashamed

34. BJ says:

Just finished watching the game on a stream(just can’t stay up until 4:30 am from Germany anymore, so I get up and watch at my convenience). I was left with a rather empty feeling by the Parros incident. It took the juice out of the game and the Habs let down after that. The game was reminiscent of many Habs-Leafs games from the 60’s. It was as brutal then as it is now. The additional danger being the much faster game with bigger players now, although they wore no helmets then which somewhat equalizes the danger factors of the game. I can’t see any Price bashing as he played well and the score could have been higher in favor of the Leafs. The team is still too small both on D and up front. The Leafs are a better team simply because of the size of the team. They have speed as we do but have the muscle to win puck battles. I think Bergevin and company will have to continue to upgrade with size and skill (but so are 29 other teams trying to do the same). We will win our share of games, having said that lets see where we are at after the western trip concludes.

35. Curtis O Habs says:

No close up of Lupul bleeding. No replay of Ashton getting punched out. The guys in the truck aired the wrong feed as they tried to determine if Carlyle was right accusing Montreal of being off side on their goal. No mention of Kessle elbowing Price to the head.

36. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

The comments below regarding lawsuits are bang on. I’m afraid it’s going to take that–or perish the thought, a death–to get fighting out of the game. I for one can’t wait. In the meantime, I’d like to see every televised game lead with a viewer- discretion-type warning regarding the potential for violence, injury, and, yes, even death. I’m serious. Why require it of other TV programming and not of live sports, especially the really brutal ones like hockey and football? I have half a mind to start a petition demanding that the CRTC & FCC impose such warnings. Are you with me people?

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree. The change may have to come from the NHLPA. The league obviously thinks it’s a money maker. Until…….

• Habs_Norway says:

Ive heard rumours about american instruction-manuals for microwaves beeing 4 inches thick, typing all of the things you cannot put into the oven… Like cats, babies, metal etc…
      Lets have 10 minutes prior to the game with warnings about this-and-that?

______________________________________
      Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

37. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Here’s hoping Parros heals quickly. As a hockey fan it’s getting harder and harder to overlook certain things. Of course there’s the fighting crap. No other legitimate sport not named boxing or UFC (if you consider those legitimate sports) condone fighting. It degrades this great game. It’s stupid, adds nothing, is not necessary and as we once again saw last night, is dangerous. We’ve come to the point we’re if you have a goon then we have a goon. If you have two goons, well, we better go out and get two goons.
    All you tough guys out there that have said “few people actually get hurt in a fight”, I ask you now, really?
    I watch dozens of hockey games a week. The picture we saw last night of a player laying on the ice occurs way too often. Someone will be killed on the ice soon. Then are game will be under attack and the rest of us will sit with our mouths open and say its an uncommon occurrence. If the money grabbing owners and league don’t have the courage to save lives then the NHLPA should before its too late.

The other aspect of our great game is the officiating. As fans we’re quick to point out the appearance of the officials being biased against our team. Again, watching so many other games it’s a nightly occurance. Last night while Prust was being roughed up by a Leaf and the Leafs were playing with 6 men on the ice the only penalty that was issued was to Prust. It conjures up calls by WWE officials where the bad guy gets a call that beats the good guy. It looked ridiculous. Any fair minded person watching would be left with a “what the heck was that” expression on their face.
    Look, I understand the game is fast and difficult to officiate. But in this case the play had stopped and all the official had to do was call what he and the rest of us obviously saw. These types of mystery calls happen to often in this league. It needs to be fixed.

• Cal says:

Hey Jim. Looks like we better get used to it. Both players MB signed are now injured. Good start. Not!!
      The NHL is the WWE on ice. The officiating is always brutal.

• zephyr says:

I don’t know if there’s any hope for the officiating. I can’t make any sense out of last nite’s fiasco. that ‘hook’ on maxpax was a joke too. one of many screwy calls. this is the most poorly officiated league in pro sports in the world (unless u count the cfl). bush league refs..

• Greg says:

Don’t turn a freak accident into an argument against fighting. He was wearing a helmet, fell, and hit his chin on the ice. That could easily have happened during a game, and in fact it has.
      If you don’t like fighting in hockey, that’s fine. There are good arguments that support your point of view. But the arguments in favor or opposed are just as good a week ago as they are today.

I’m aware that huge guys punching each other in the face is dangerous, no one is suggesting it isn’t. If danger was unacceptable, hockey wouldn’t be a sport at all. These guys get paid a lot of money to do dangerous things. I personally am ok with it. But whether or not fighting is a part of hockey should be based on rational arguments that are always valid, not just “someone got hurt last night, let’s ban fighting”.

• Habs_Norway says:

Lacrosse?

“Someone will be killed on the ice soon.”

Haven’t people, or some fans, said this for ehh, 50 years?
      Freak-accident, nothing more.
      BUT! What scares me, is that in the 2 intermission, me and my friend was watching Parros-fights on youtube, and it struck me that he loses his balance alot. And that happened last nigh unfortunately.
      And i think he played very well before he got hurt, didnt do any mistakes and played the game simple.
      Feel bad for M.B though.. 2 newcombers on injurylist after 1 game.
      ______________________________________
      Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

38. JohnBellyful says:

Test
    Hmmn, I CAN post — but maybe it can’t be more than 20 words.
    Drats, I say.

Edit: I’m thinking now I shouldn’t have used the word, puppies. Darn mods.

39. Maritime Ronn says:

Most coaches/GMs will tell you that they divide the season in segments of 10 games.
    Perhaps before the “trade 10 guys” and other requests for public hangings, let’s play a few more games first.

As for the game, the Leafs specialty teams beat the Habs specialty teams. Leafs scored a PP goal and a spirit sapping short handed goal. The Habs did not.

The Leafs use of skilled, fast skating forwards (Bozak-Kulemin) on the PK along with pressuring the points (active vs. passive) may be something Coach MT might want to look into….

Price (.895) played very well making key stops early, yet Reimer (.919) played better making the bigger saves at the right times.
    Price may want that 1st goal back that trickled through his legs.

The Habs Bottom 6 played inspired hockey and the Eller line was THE best line on the ice for both teams.
    With the rare exception, the Habs Top 6 was dominated in every sense of the game and sometimes invisible.
    These vets must regroup quickly.

Tinordi will be playing Top 4 minutes by Christmas.
    Trusting him with almost #2 PK minutes is a clear indication.
    When Emelin and Murray return, and with Beaulieu knocking on the door, it’s not very difficult to figure out which 2 Dman won’t have a chair when the music stops.

The 2nd wave PP dman unit employed is almost saying “I give up.”
    Surely Coach MT sees that and IF it continues, the Habs could see Nathan Beaulieu up with the big team by Christmas playing a 3rd pair regular shift and 2nd unit PP.

• Habfan10912 says:

Ronn, I know it’s one game but given what we saw last season, is it time for Markov to become a bottom pair dman and power play specialist?

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Jim

Perhaps not just yet.
        While the Habs wait for his natural partner Emelin to return, if this continues for a longer span, Coach MT may not have any choice but to move Gorges in as his partner.
        They had good success in the past with Gorges playing the right side.

The huge question doing that would be moving (rushing???) Tinordi into a Top 4 role along side Subban.
        Ultimately, Subban/Tinordi will be the Habs Top 2 yet they have to be really careful about ‘when’ to do it.

• Cal says:

Diaz with Markov is a disaster. It’s going to cost games until this pairing goes the way of the dodo.
      It’s going to be a season of disappointment save for the few bright lights the Habs have on the team.

• mksness says:

if you wait 10 games to make moves and adjust you won’t make the playoffs. that’s why you should play you starting roster in the preseason instead of trying to “evaluate” your rookies. let the god damn pro scouts evaluate them

40. Supersonic says:

I think fighting is part of the game and will always be. What I would like to see is for players to stop wrestling and spinning and going for take downs during a fight. That’s something you never saw in the 90’s. Nowadays, we see a lot of fights with no puches landing

41. Mick says:

DD for four years. Our #1 line is the softest line in the league.
    Dooomed!
    Therrien has to get his rose colored glasses off and wake the ……..up.
    Eller is our # 2 and our other #2 line of Plek’s, Gionta and Bozo are our real # 1 line.
    DD is …… terrible. Yes he is a nice guy and can sometimes make nice plays, if he does not fall down. But come on this guy is what our # 1 center. Please!
    Sit DD and let bournival or Pateryn play.
    That would be logical, eh.
    Diaz and Markov, geeeze..

42. jrs10069 says:

eller looked like the steroids are working, 4th line also looked really good, parros is better than i thought. Terrible scene with him, bad luck, hope he comes back soon but i have a feeling he’s done. Crazy how that works…first game in mtl and bang, in your 163rd career fight, something like that happens..

Markov looked like he spent the summer drinking, 1/2 the game on the ice. He will get better, so will Briere. Diaz is terrible and plek stank. Price played ok but we could use a big save from him when it counts.

Leafs looked like like crap but once again the worst performers of the game were the zebras. Picked up where they left off last season…all egotistical dipshits with small man syndrome wanting to be the center of attention. Almost took one out but the tough guy came back cotton in his nose.

It will be the reason i stop watching, get rid of the one of them and for the love of god, let them play the fn game.

jrs10069

Get fighting out of hockey NOW! How stupid, don’t people get it yet? The days of gladiators killing each other for sport went out with the Romans! Violence sells to the fools and is imitated by the youth!

After concussion, severe depression and it kills.!

What is a concussion?, as comprehended and explained by myself.
    I have been involved as a lay person with research pertaining to neurology at a major medical university. I have picked up a lot of information working first with veterinarian pathologists when I was doing research on my fox and mink ranch with calcium. And I have been involved lately with the neurology research dept. from a major medical university. Only as the handler of the research birds involved in the study and offering some of my former findings from my own autopsy’s So I do not profess to be an expert on the subject pertaining to concussion, but I will try to explain, the best that I can, what happens to the brain cells that have been concussed inside the skull. And why one must stay completely resting after a concussion.

The very soft brain cells, when violently thrown against the skull, are damaged and the neuron releases a potassium chemical out of the brain cell. Leaving a void. Calcium that is already present around the outside of the cells, seeps into the cells replacing the potassium. This calcium is what gives the chemical imbalance to the brain and is what causes the damage. Until all of this calcium leaves the brain cells completely, and it can take a long time, depending on how much calcium was taken on each cell. The patient is left extremely vulnerable to instant death upon a second bump, or at least permanent brain damage as the calcium solidifies upon second impact. Even a hard coughing spell or light exercise can cause severe pain and damage. Complete rest is needed.
    These damaged cells have to be cleared completely of this calcium before one can resume activity to avoid more serious consequences including death. This is very acute in young people under the age of 24 as the brain is still growing and developing. Please, coaches and parents know this, every severe contact to the head can cause some cells to expel potassium and take on calcium. A second, even slight bump, with the cells still containing calcium, can be even more deadly.
    Ian Cobb

44. Bash says:

We won the fights!
    We lost the game!

Are we happy?

NHL hockey is somewhat unique. Limited space creates limited time and allows sheer physical size and strength to (often) neutralize skill. Officiating is inept and sometimes biased; post incident repercussions are bungled by league officials who we suspect cater to profit and perverted entertainment value over player safety.

And hordes of “never weres” who played minor hockey without skill, and graduated to beer leagues before settling in to that comfy chair, drink the pink lemonade poured out by media clowns who love small towns, babies and the military.

The game continues to regress. But have faith! Lawsuits are coming.

And death may yet be avoided.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Habs_Norway says:

Just to mention, the KHL , with its big ice, changed the rules last season to 5 min for fighting instead of match penalty.
      Ticketsales rose.
      The germans will do the same next year i think (or maybe they did it this year)

______________________________________
      Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

45. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The Parros injury could have happened in a different situation, Sure.

But for one period, there was a good hockey game out there. Once the fighting began, the entertainment value of the game dropped like a rock. The fights (with the exception of Moen’s) were unnecessary . You watch two guys smack each other and you wait for it to be over to see how the teams react once the hockey breaks out again. Big fun.

So yeah, we can play the Leafs game. And we got Leafs results for it. In some ways, it becomes a moot point because Parros is gone for a while. But the second and third periods of a much anticipated game were made boring by the stupidity of the NHL. It brought back memories of those endless wrestling matches against the Flyers in the seventies, and what an embarassment they were to the game.

46. Bob_Sacamano says:

It would probably have been a nice game if the league had no place for players like Parros and Orr. Maybe with a completely different outcome too.

Eller was absolutely fantastic and a joy to watch the whole night.

On the other hand I still can´t believe we signed Drewiske, Bouillon and Murray when we really needed a Top 4 dman who plays on the right.

I also can´t believe we´re dressing four Top 9 forwards unter 5´10. That just doesn´t work and if Pacioretty isn´t fit to carry his line with Briere and Desharnais it will show.

With the fantastic contracts of Subban, Eller, Pacioretty, Gallagher and Tinordi we should be a contender this season. We still can be but we need another top winger and a top 4 dman for the right.

Bergevin just signed Briere this summer, the captain isn´t going anyway and Gallagher is a great player. This means there is absolutely no place among our top 9 for Desharnais.

47. Bryant Mac Lean says:

Familar scene in montreal, players skating around looking at their fellow teamate on a strecher, top player injured as a result of a dirty Maple Leaf hit!! Why doesn’t Montreal just mail the two points to Tor. Maple Leafs.
    Danny Briere! what kind of joke is this!! He stunk with Philly last year when he wsn’t injured, he avoided coming to Montreal like the plague at a time when he may of had something to offer.
    Lets admit it, another embarassment for the fans last night(who would imagine that this game counted for anything the way Habs players ran taking senseless penalties. I’ve watched this organization for 60 years and believe me I have I can’t make any sense of the way coaching & management are operating. Bryant Mac Lean

48. Cal says:

So, like, who’s scheduled to be that #1 draft pick again?
    Habs looked exactly as they did last season without Emelin in the lineup.
    The fights were a distraction. The score was closer than it might have been thanks to Price’s good first period. After that, well, he was Price.
    How long before the DD, Patches and Brière line, or 1 2/3rds men, gets broken up? Can Beaulieu play as poorly as Diaz did, save for his one assist?

49. NLhabsfan says:

I thought Markov played s poor game.Half the night he was fumbling the puck.making poor choices.Rust…maybe..age,past injury ..I particularly thought he looked slow and mistake prone all night.

50. Bryant Mac Lean says:

Bryant Mac Lean

51. Ace says:

Boone, with all due respect…STFU. This was a sloppy October game (by both sides). Parros fell down and went boom. For a change, the Habs handled the Leafs goons. Sadly the Habs “skill” players, save Eller, sucked. Typical October game with a hard as nails fighter that unfortunately lost his footing and did a face plant. Move on people, nothing to see here.

52. twilighthours says:

Nailed it, Boone. Every word

53. zephyr says:

my son showed me this & I laughed my arse off. hitler reacts to the leafs. enjoy!

54. ClaytonM says:

When will Therrien realize his best center is Eller? Some time this season, or a few years from now when he’s back on l’Antichambre, Eller is an All Star and DD has no NHL career?

55. ClaytonM says:

I prefer the GEG line, since they seem to score a goal every game.

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I don’t have the patience to re-write My more expansive comment on Parros and the issue of fighting, but I just want to point-out the injury that He incurred tonight was the type of injury that more frequently occurs in regular play

…this type of injury is rare during a hockey fight

• Bill says:

I don’t follow you.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I wrote quite an extensive thought about Parros and the overall issue of fighting in hockey but had the strangest refusal of the HIO filter to not accept anything but the chopped version above …calling it ‘spam’ :)

…don’t know why …strange demons ?

…anyhow, I’m too tired, going to sleep

…I’m sure the debate will continue between You and the others ’til the cows come home

…meanwhile, I will sleep :)

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

…strange I have been trying to comment on the Parros injury and the issue of ‘fighting’ but the HIO filter is labeling my comment as spam

…that’s a first :)

58. third generation haber says:

I agree with Boone 100% Too many of our players are too soft to win a puck battle.

Our softies will be the death of this team. By the deadline, I hope several of: Markov, Gionta, Diaz, DD, Briere, Bouillion (not soft, but too samll to play his role) get traded.

j.p. murray

• SlovakHab says:

Gionta isn’t soft.
      DD, Briere, Diaz and Bouillon I agree with.
      Markov is somewhere in the middle, I reckon.

We won’t trade Briere considering his contract, and we should keep Gionta and Markov for depth.
      Would be great to get something for Diaz or DD. Bouillon probably won’t fetch more than a low-end asset – if anything at all.

59. Habitant in Surrey says:

Question: ” Would you like to see the Canadiens offer P.K. Subban the same eight-year, $64-million contract the Leafs gave Phil Kessel ? ”

Answer: …no, I would not …but, it seems We have no choice …if a one-dimensional player like Kessler won an $ 8 million contract, it is very unlikely PK and Meehan would accept anything less

…especially with the rising caps going forward

…these crazy contracts make the purpose of recent lock-outs seem completely pointless

…human nature comes with inherent asininity

• shootdapuck says:

Chris. where was Kessel tonight?
      Counting coin no doubt cuz he surely wasn’t at the Bell Center nor was Lupul.

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

• third generation haber says:

It’s less of an issue with PK. If his offence slides, he can still hit, play defence, kill penalties, block shots, even fight, Kessel has no other element to his game and will probably play the end of his contract Luongo style.

j.p. murray

60. light_n_tasty says:

Well, actually not a bad game. As I do for all of the games, I watched it after the fact on the PVR. Already had the result ruined by a Laffs fan who told me the Laffs blew them away and the Laffs are so good this year and watch out whatever. Habs played better.

Anyway, my observations:

Price looked good
    Great Egg Line

Our problem this year:

Pleks line will continue to suck
    DD is the #1 centre…

61. sweetmad says:

That could have been a very good game of hockey,but with players in the box for fighting,HABS in the box for playing,and we are the only team not allowed to have more than 5 players on the ice.

Some one has to say no more,there will not be a hockey league,in 20 years because the kids,are not joining up,their parents don’t want them to play the game,because of the cost and the fighting and getting hurt.

Morons like Cherry,Burke and Carlye should just retire and hang up their mouths,they are doing the game no favours.It is getting worse and really taking the pleasure out of a beautiful game.

I think more and more people are turning against the fighting,the sooner it is taken out of the game,the better for the game and the players.

62. brandonhab19 says:

Travis Roy paralyzed by hitting boards. Has hockey removed boards or made them softer? Savard, Primeau and others careers ended with hits. Has the NHL removed hits? Crosby, Roenick broken jaws due to hit with pucks. Have we made them softer? Players can get hurt via fights and sometimes just in a fluke way. But any part of the sport outside of fighting can yield serious injury. Yet we talk about taking fighting out. Aren’t all these technically part of the game?

63. SUMO says:

Just wait till Saturday night’s Cretin’s Corner when the “Chief Enabler” hapless Don Cherry starts his senile rambling of his usual stupid cliches, “It was Subban’s fault, Parros was only coming to his aid” or “what a great guy Orr was for not hitting Parros when he was down” horse crap.

A real debate on fighting will not happen until people like Cherry (who makes millions off the sale of his videos), are taken off the air. His tax-payer funded bully pulpit gives him enormous influence in blocking any real debate on the subject. Cherry and Maclean are no better than Wrestling commentators. They are a friggin joke.

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

…second, Nathan Beaulieu and Greg Pateryn should have been in the line-up tonight instead of Bouillon and Diaz, and We could live without a dedicated goon like George Parros (hope He recovers soon)

…with whom I believe We would have won tonight’s game

…Bouillon can have the heart of a tiger, but His limited size/reach, skills and speed leave Him as a limited d-man

…Diaz, who has the speed and skills but not the grit and strength to handle the NHL’s strong forwards

…what does Toronto have ? …pedestrian skills but the size advantage to make Montreal look like a fire-drill in Their defensive zone, because they punish Our back-end

…Our Habs are embarrassing in Our defensive zone

…Beaulieu and Pateryn though still on a learning curve, have the size plus speed and skill, especially Beaulieu, more so than Diaz and Bouillon to stand-up to the pressure

…Markov should only be used strategically, not for 20+ minutes/game …sadly His legs are lost since His MCLs

…PK + Tinordi

…Beaulieu + Gorges

…Markov + Pateryn

…Diaz/Murray

65. NightRyder says:

What a joke. Price is terrible. A big-time goalie wins us that game. Desharnais is horrific. Who gave him that ridiculous contract? I can’t believe we signed Briere. I thought he was going to drop the torch. Who needs a 3,999-year-old Smurf? Why bother signing Parros if he can’t even last one game? The defence is terrible. Does Diaz even come back past his own blue-line? Why was Bournival not in the lineup? Trade everyone.

How was that? Pretty typical over-reaction? One of the things I like the least about social media and 24-hour sports coverage is the fact that patience has become a dirty word. Every game is absurdly dissected as if it’s game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

This is, and always was, going to be a team that was going to be in the mix for one of the final playoff spots and is a year (following the trades of Gionta and Markov and the real emergence of a younger leadership core) away from being a legit contender.

For the record, my official whining points for 2013-14: 1. Gomez sucks (oops, force of habit); 2. Desharnais, Markov and Gionta must go; 3. Still not a Therrien fan.

However, I have resolved to have more fun watching the games this year, have realistic expectations and will wait until at least Saturday’s game against Philly before officially leaping off the bandwagon.

66. Propwash says:

They gotta stop taking stupid penalties for starters. I also think D pairings are still a WIP and will take a bit of time to settle. As for Parros, it was an unfortunate accident which happened, and he’s a very respected player. Guys around the league are wishing him well. If Price was as bad people say he was, the score would have been a blowout.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Price is inconsistent

…which is almost as bad as having an ordinary goalie

…the team with the better goaltender won tonight

…it’s a long season, so We will keep hoping the best for Price …but tonight He was not the elite goalie Yzerman is looking for for Sochi, or We for Our season

67. johnnylarue says:

The fairy-tale ending to this season for a panty waist like me would be for the enforcer-less Detroit Red Wings to win the division and reach the Cup final.

By [actually] playing hockey.

• third generation haber says:

Absolutely! Toughness isn’t a matter of dropping the gloves. Toughness is what u do from whistle to whistle.

j.p. murray

• Bill says:

I think a lot of people on HIO must refuse to believe Chicago won the Cup last year. According to their logic, Boston beats Chicago every game.

Full Breezer 4 Life

68. johnnylarue says:

Thanks for telling it like it is, Mike.

69. Habitant in Surrey says:

…first thing first …I really am enthusiastic about the concept about being fondled by a Chez Paree (or Wanda’s) stripper at centre-ice

70. jedimyrmidon says:

I looked at the incredible glove tip save on Bolland that Price made in the first.

Guess what happened in the lead up to Bolland’s golden chance? The puck bounced off Bouillon’s skate (who was gliding near the front of the net) right to Bolland! This puck bouncing off Bouillon is becoming a disturbing trend (See: goal #4).

71. Bradzerker says:

Oh Markov! He’s just not the same player after the knee problems. Pairing him with Diaz is a poor decision that will cost the Habs dearly.

72. Un Canadien errant says:

So how does this work? We lost George Parros to concussion, he’ll be out for a while, do we just sign the next available goon, drop him in the roster, so he can neutralize the other team’s goon? I know the Oilers just snapped up Steve MacIntyre, so he’s gone, who’s the next name on the list? Does Frontenac get his wish and get to see Trevor Gillies in bleu blanc rouge?

And then, when we play the Leafs again, they’ll have Frazer McLaren back, and that Mark Fraser kid is even tougher with that steel plate in his forehead, so we better get two more enforcers, just in case. The Bruins have Sean Thornton and our bugaboos Zdeno Chara and Milan Lucic, the Sabres’ Steve Ott and Patrick Kaleta will run rampant with John Scott and Cody McCormick on their shoulder, and the Senators have Chris Neil, Matt Kassian and a horde of defencemen over 6’4″, one of which goes by the name of Gryba. Might be a good idea to get a spare enforcer too, in case one of our three enforcers gets injured. Those guys are going to be busy, protecting Brandon Prust and Travis Moen and Ryan White so they don’t have to fight all the time.

Tonight, we won the battles but lost the war. George Parros did exactly what he was brought here to do, which is cancel out Colton Orr. George actually won both fights, but during the second got dragged down and landed face first on the ice, knocking him out. I don’t believe this is his first concussion, so his absence could be prolonged. If I was him, I’d not be in a rush to get back in the lineup, not on my final year on my contract. I’d make sure I was absolutely completely symptom-free, plus a couple more weeks to be on the safe side, before I even thought of getting back to the grind. This is a young man’s game, and I don’t know if George had any designs on playing much longer, it’s debatable what he would gain by coming back sooner rather than later.

During that same scrum which precipitated Parros-Orr I (or was is VII or VIII, do we count the previous tilts when they played on different teams?) Jarred Tinordi ended up with Carter Ashton in his arms, and that poor fool dropped his gloves, possibly not having seen exactly who had a hold on him. Anyway, Mr. Ashton immediately regretted doing so, because he got filled in by Jarred, but this is where the asymmetric warfare angle kicks in. The Leafs are sure to take offence to this fight, never mind that their kid kind of started it, and next game Jarred will get a visit from a Leafs enforcer, and the violence, instead of being “settled on the ice”, instead of being defused by players policing themselves, will escalate. We should probably get another enforcer to protect Jarred.

Travis Moen played a good game, and stepped up by jumping in when Mark Fraser was running around being a pain. Last season, whether it was contractitis, as many fans surmised, or the aftereffects of a concussion from the previous season, Travis was more of a diplomat, waiting for the referees to intervene before mixing in and giving opponents a stern talking to. He’d cruise in to a situation, allowing Ryan White to get there first and barge in. Tonight, Brandon Prust looked like he was about to go when Travis intervened and took on Mr. Fraser, and gave a very good account of himself, after the seemingly interminable negotiations over the removal of the visored helmets. Travis killed penalties, had a couple of scoring chances, he was involved, which wasn’t always the case last season.

Some are already speculating that Brandon Prust must be playing hurt, which is why Travis jumped in between him and Mark Fraser. Brandon had to skip the last couple of pre-season games and a practice for a therapy day, so it’s reasonable to ask the question. He did seem more hesitant than usual. Which effectively leaves us down two enforcers, if Brandon can’t go, and with George out of the lineup.

On further thought, let’s get one more additional extra spare enforcer off that list, just to be on the safe side.

What’s that? The game? Oh yeah, the game. As in who won? Well, we lost. Lars Eller had a good one, two goals, one assist, did well on special teams, his line looked good, better than pre-season. He didn’t fight though. Carey Price stopped 34 of 38 shots, for an .895 save percentage, not good enough. He didn’t fight either. The Desharnais line and Plekanec line didn’t fight none of them, not a one. Andrei Markov bobbled the puck in the offensive zone on the powerplay, and caused a turnover that ended up in our net, and didn’t make up for it, he didn’t fight neither.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

73. habsguy92 says:

First time being first!

74. jrs10069 says:

Agree with everything you said. Wait until Murray gets out there and looks like a slow beer leaguer. I’m convinced he’s not really hurt, Habs brass doesn’t want to embarrass themselves yet again with a terrible signing.

jrs10069

75. Sphincter says “Ziglveit.”

out for a sTroll.