About last night …

Screwed

Late dispiriting bulletin: Scott Gomez goes to the next round.

Et si vous comprenez le français, here’s Ron Fournier’s take on the controversial goal.

At least Canadiens fans will have something to bitch about all summer long.
Actually, a few things:
On the sequence leading to Mika Zibanejad’s goal, why was the faceoff on the wrong side of the ice?
Why did the goal count if replays show Zibanejad’s left skate moving to redirect the puck?
Why weren’t two icings waved off late in the third period?
All leading to the fundamental question: Did the zebras screw the Canadiens out of a win that would have tied this series?

Chris Nilan routinely refers to NHL referees as “donkeys”.

The former Canadiens tough guy enlivens his very good TSN690 talk show by making “hee-haw” sounds any time the discussion turns to officiating.

Hockey probably has the worst officiating of any major sport.  From the whistles that are buried deep in referees’ pockets when the playoffs start to the guys whom Don Cherry dismisses as “failed referees” booting players out of the faceoff circle, there are a multitude of questionable calls that leave fans of one team or another feeling aggrieved.

But did officiating cost the Canadiens Game 4 … and probably any realistic hope of winning the series?

It wasn’t the refs who benched Alex Galchenyuk  for the final 10 minutes of regulation time – even though the rookie had scored his first goal of the playoffs and led the Canadiens with four shots on goal.

It wasn’t he refs who had Josh Gorges, Raphael Diaz and a severely hurting Brandon Prust on the ice for the final seconds of the game.

I don’t want to second-guess Michel Therrien.

The Canadiens’ coach has done a helluva job this season – up to and including having his team ready to play a great game 3 … for 40 minutes.

In his postgame remarks, Therrien said the Canadiens didn’t retreat into a defensive shell for the third period.

I dunno, it sure looked like vintage Jacques Martin lead-protection. The Canadiens didn’t have a shot on goal until the period was six minutes old and ended up being outshot 13-4.

At that, they held a 2-0 lead until there were only eight minutes left to play. Then the home team – who deserve credit for their refusal to quit – got a break and cranked up their game.

Galchenyuk watched it all from the bench. As did Gabriel Dumont, who had gone 6-0 on faceoffs while Tomas Plekanec was 10-17 and Jeff Halpern 7-11 – 4-12 and 2-7, respectively, in the defensive zone.

Through 80 minutes of third-period hockey in this series, Ottawa has scored nine goals. The Canadiens have ZERO. And this is a team that outscored opponents 50-33 in third periods during the regular season. Playing the up-tempo style that carried them to great success this season, maybe the Canadiens just run out of gas in the latter stages of playoff games.

Plus the team is beat up.

Having avoided serious injuries for most of the season, the Canadiens lost hard-hitting defenceman Alexei Emelin in Game 38. And they’ve been dropping like flies ever since.

Lars Eller, Brian Gionta and Ryan White were unavailable for Game 4. Max Pacioretty looks like he’s nursing something. And we won’t know until Wednesday – if then – whether Carey Price and Brandon Prust will answer the bell for the Thursday night game that may be the season finale at the Bell Centre.

The Senators know they’re dealing with wounded prey. Ottawa had 61 hits in Game 4 – including 10 by Chris Neil.

To their credit, every Canadien skater had at least one hit. But they can’t match Ottawa in terms of physicality.

And it’s frightening to contemplate how this undersized team would fare in a seven-game series against St. Louis, L.A. or Chicago.

The Canadiens’ postseason won’t include any games against the Western Conference – not this year, anyway.

Going forward, general manager Marc Bergevin and his staff – including Rick Dudley and Scott Mellanby, who weren’t shrinking violets during their careers – have to make the Canadiens bigger and tougher.

Look, I love skilled hockey and hate thuggery. But postseason NHL hockey is Game of Thrones on ice, a two-month, ruthlessly Darwinian war of attrition.

Game 4 did not slip away because the Canadiens were outmuscled. But the tying goal was scored with Brandon Prust injured and on his knees while Gorges and Diaz tried  to cope with a sea of red sweaters engulfing Price’s crease.

There was a sickening sense of inevitability through the sequence that led to Cory Conacher’s goal. As they did through the final weeks of the season, Canadiens fans were just waiting for the other skate to drop.

And it did, resoundingly … with a thud that will echo until September.

1. Gally365 says:

Most of the Habs are regular season players not stanley cup players.
    I see 4-stanley cup players on this team. Gallagher, Prust, PK, Eller till scum bag hit him clean or not it didn’t have to happen. if you see more. Point them out please.

• Habsrule1 says:

Nobody is a Stanley Cup player until they win one, so I’ll say Moen, Ryder and Gionta.

Go Habs Go!!

• Kooch7800 says:

I would add Bourque to that good list and Galchenyuk with more experience will be a force

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

2. danp says:

I am tired of hearing that Montreal, as a team, is too small and they need to get “bigger”. Do you mean “bigger” like Pittsburgh? Maybe if Montreal was “bigger”, they would be better than other teams? Better than Pittsburgh maybe?

I can’t verify these statistics and they are one year old but take a look. Pittsburgh is rated as the smallest team in the league.

Size is not a good measure of how well a team will do. Chicago is in the middle of the pack – #15 out of 30. The biggest teams include several that didn’t make the playoffs.

IMO – getting bigger is not the answer. It’s not the size of the dog in the fight and so on…

Dan

• veryhabby says:

danp- I think the area they need to get bigger is on D. And when we say bigger, we are talking tougher. Look at Emelin he isn’t that “big” height wise, but he is our toughest (thus biggest) dman. Tinordi is our biggest size wise, but he isn’t as physical as his size would assume him to be. bBut the kid is still developing- both his body and his game, so hopefully he will be tougher too.

After Emelin, really PK is our toughest Dman. Do we want PK playing tough? Boullion’s best days are behind him. He is probably our 3rd toughest dman on the team.

Up front, we just need more goal scorers. We have a great depth of 20 goal guys. That works in a 82 game season. But come playoffs, you need about 2 guys you can count on to “worry” the other team due to their offense. A 20 goal guy will MAYBE get 1 goal in a 7 game series? And if the game doesn’t make it to 7 then they may have zero. I am ok with our size upfront if we have more skill,. Pits and Chic are small…but you can’t compare their O power to ours.

• danp says:

I agree with what you say. The Habs really miss Emelin. And Eller. Lars was doing a great job and I think he would have had a wonderful playoff run this year. Hopefully he will be healthy and happy and back for more.

Boullion – I was surprised by him this year but, as you say, he is in his twilight.

The two Gally-s are exciting. We may find we already have the up-front guys. Only time will tell.

Prust was a great addition this year. He could use some help and a couple of strong, physical D-men will give our skilled forwards some room to play. Can’t wait.

Dan

3. knob says:

For starters (next year), the defence needs an overhaul. Here are my thoughts:
    1. Habs need two, 2-way dmen that can play even strength, PP, and PK. We only have one guy that fits the bill: Subban. We need to get a guy to compliment him;
    2. Habs need 2 defensive Dmen. We have 5: Bouillon, Gorges, Emelin, Tinordi, and Drewiski. Pick 2
    3. Habs need 2 offensive Dmen, We have 4: Weber, Kaberle, Diaz, and Beaulieau. Pick 2
    4. from the scrap pile, pick one guy to be your 7th dman (maybe Bouillon) and move the rest.

To conclued, thin out the 5/6 dmen and get a bona fide top two dman that can play 25 minutes a game with Subban.

• ihabto says:

That doesn’t sound like an overhaul. That sounds like we just need an upgrade on Markov.

• veryhabby says:

knob- I have been saying since last summer…we need a #2 dman on this team. Preferably one who can play along side PK, 25 min/game. A d- type dman who is somewhat physical.

Down the line, Tinordi may be this guy. But that is a few years away. The problem is that who will give us this guy in a trade! And we don’t have the cap space to outbid any that maybe on the UFA market (if there is even one).

We have a bunch of #4-8 dmen on this team. PK is a #1 guy. Markov, cause he still has the vision and ice smarts, is a #3 possibly. (too bad his skating is done tho). The rest are all playing out of position (ie higher then they should be playing). Gorges and Diaz are not a shut down pair! They are not a #3-4 dman pairing.

So individually, I like each dman we have. But as a unit it needs to be redone. Two options are there. 1) we stay as is and wait for rookies to develop into what we need 2) we make some trades this summer. Gorges, Diaz are maybe the only 2 that MAYBE a team would be interested in. Kind of like a Cole for Ryder move. Any Dmen in Vanc we can snag as a #2 dman?

• issie74 says:

I think we have the D-Men in our fold,most of whom are not ready yet, I also think we need to surround our young with good vets i.e Prust.

NorthTOHab

• knob says:

EDIT: I can’t believe I forgot Markov!! I would consider him an offensive dman, so lump him into the #3. category)

And yes, cap space is a major problem.

4. HabsFan1111 says:

Habs came to play….then decided to sit on a two goal lead for the second half of the game. They had a tremendous amount of momentum after the 2 quick goals, but decided to let their D do the rest. That’s what did them in.

Now they’ve got to win 3 straight (which is doable) with no Eller and probably no Gio, Prust or Price. Time to stfu about the refs and win some games!

GHG

5. habstrinifan says:

Hi Folks.. Good Morning!.

Let my first post a thank you and glad to have you to all the posters who are visiting today. We owe it to each other to show up here and continue the posting and all the fun debates … especially after a night like last night. I am sorry I couldnt have stayed up late with those who couldnt sleep.. but my mind gave out.

That outta the way… I shall now read the posts.

6. Habsrule1 says:

My personal feelijng is the Habs have been the better team in this series. Unfortunately, sometimes it only takes a team to be better for a few minutes in a game to win.
    I still believe the Habs CAN win this series, but I’m getting a bit less confident that they WILL. The sens seem to work harder for short stretches and capitalize when they do (or get lucky in some cases). Either way, I’m proud of the Habs for going from worst to first (or 2nd if we’re talking conference).
    The question is what will this team look like next year? Who stays? Who goes? Who joins? I’m really anxious to see the answers.

Go Habs Go!!

• La Duke 16 says:

better for the first two periods of all games – but laying an egg in the third period where it counts.

• habstrinifan says:

Same here. I have turned the corner from this series and this years playoffs.
      Too many injuries, too many’weaknesses’ on the team. I am with you re applauding the year’s achievement and looking to the moves of the futre.

Edit: Even as I write this I feel this feeling isnt aggravated by the Leafs being the othe rteam.

7. issie74 says:

Win to-morrow night boys,

GO HABS!!!

NorthTOHab

8. The Dude says:

Next game take a snapshot cause this Habs team will be’ big time’ different if Bergevin is any good as a G.M.. It’s time we all had an N.H.L. team that is well rounded in all facets of the game and can BEAT THE SH!T OUT OF ANY TEAM WHEN PUSHED TO A CORNER!
    After 20 years of Hab teams that can’t measure up I’m ready for some PAYBACK ! Go Habs GO

• knob says:

This is the first time I finished reading one of your posts and I actually agree with you.

• mrhabby says:

Agree..

• Alex_425 says:

I don’t want a team that can beat the **** out of any team, but I really badly do want a team that can have the necessary endurance to last through the playoffs, and won’t get injured just from lookin’ at ‘em the wrong way.

If these last 4 games have not convinced the organization that we need to BEEF UP, and SOON, then nothing will convince them.

But I’m no expert….

• La Duke 16 says:

I want it all – a physically intimadating group, a team that can punish the other team physically, and a team that can drop the gloves and clubber the opponent.

Lastly, a team that is big enough to not have 4-6 starters injured through only 5 games of the first series!! No way can you make a run at the cup like that.

• Gally365 says:

Dude that is the best post I have read from you and you’re right on. Good job.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree re the ‘payback’ ability. I especially like your call for a ‘well rounded’ team. I hope that you had included a new yet old HABS philosophy. We come out like the flying frenchmen.. not constrict our selves to the ‘sit back’ built out of fear of what we cant do. But I gues once we add the elements you are talking about… our style may change to one of confidence .

• HabsFan1111 says:

Don’t agree. We need an upgrade in size on one or two of our top 9 forwards (can’t have 4 of your top 9 undersized). That’s it. Maybe one more physical d man would be nice too (a Douglas Murray/Bryan Allen/Eric Brewer type).

Let’s say we had beat the $hit out of the Sens in all the fights in game 3, what would that change in the series? Would Ottawa have come out soft in game 4? OF COURSE NOT!

• braidan1218 says:

I would love to see MB make this happen:

prust-Eller-Gallagher
      Patch-Galchenyuk-Clowe
      Bourque-Pleks-Clarkson

I can dream can’t I, but those guys are all UFAs, just have to get rid of DD, Gionta

9. Clay says:

So they lost – we can harp on the reasons (and there are many), but it’s time to get over it. At least, that’s what the team has to do.
    There was a lot of talk about ‘measuring stick’ games here all season long. This next game really is one. Win, or start vacation. Either way, life will go on.

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

• ebk says:

The team has to and I’m sure they already have.

Us on the other had, can bitch and whine and moan and stomp our feet like little kids, cuz it just don’t matter.

10. Small_Town_Boy says:

Can someone please tell me why the NBHL went to a two Zebra system?

Dat’s wha me tinks

• Kooch7800 says:

to try and catch more of the play. I see a lot of AHL games with only one zebra and I hate to tell you they are worse in the AHL than the NHL.

The NHL needs to address their officiating though as it is the worst in professional sport.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Small_Town_Boy says:

Exactly.

Please tell me then why a ref 10 ft a way does not call the Penality but the ref 50ft down the ice does?

It is NO better with the two Zebras than when it was one.

Dat’s wha me tinks

11. Kooch7800 says:

As much as the refs blew last night the habs top guys haven’t been their top guys. the kids have been carrying us.

This team needs goal scoring. Ryder might as well sit in the press box cause he is MIA and Max should join him.

Lets hope they wake up at some point!

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ron says:

Nice thoughts Kooch but we have way to many injuries. I fear we lost Prust for sure. Maybe we have to lick our wounds and play with heart to the last man for game 5. Play the kids more, whats there to lose now. One beat up team eh.

• Kooch7800 says:

We def have a beat up team there is no doubt. I just would have liked to see more from some of the vets.

I think Prust hasn’t been 100% for a over a month now and his play has shown it. He is giving all he has but he is wounded.

MB has to make some roster adjustments this off season on D and scoring with some size. We have much more gritt than last year but we have a ways to go if we want to survive in the playoffs in the East.

I have been watching the LA vs St louis series…we would get eaten alive against those teams.

I think Chicag & the Pens will have some problems with either of those two. I think the cup is going west

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ron says:

I have to agree on the Western teams for sure. With the big bodies they play like a wrecking crew in each and every game. So big, we wouldn’t last. I think we were lucky with the short season and didn’t have to travel West. With our small team we would have been coming back on a Medevac air ambulance. :D

12. jols101 says:

The best defense for a 2-0 lead going into the 3rd period is making it 3-0. I know Therrien claims they weren’t sitting on the lead but it sure looked like they were on my TV set.

13. punkster says:

Well that was fun…and will make Sunday so much sweeter when we take game 7.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

14. Maritime Ron says:

I’m a believer in a healthy Carey Price, and in a weird way, thank god the OT goal wasn’t scored on him……

15. ebk says:

Goal shouldn’t have counted, made no attempt to play the puck with his stick and if that wasn’t a distinct kicking motion, then I’m not sure what is.

That being said, they went to much into a shell when it was 2-0. Played much better when it was 2-1 but Ottawa got the breaks and the win

They have outplayed the Senators in 3 of 4 games. So anything is possible, get better puck luck, Price(or Budaj) play like he did in game 2 and 4 and you never know. Not holding my breath but this team never quits and are going to prove to be a real beach for the Senators to close out.

• Chris says:

Earl, I don’t think you have to attempt to play the puck with your stick anymore. I agree that it is a distinct kicking motion, but I think they let it go because the distinct kicking motion did not contribute to propelling the puck, which was already off his skate. It was a hard pass from Neil, and Zibanejad’s kicking motion was ultimately pointless because it didn’t do anything but give Habs fans a justifiable complaint.

At the end of the day, I would have been surprised to see the War Room overturn that particular call.

I think the Habs will be a tough out, but my only concern is how bloody hard the Habs are finding it to score on Anderson. Subban and Galchenyuk used absolutely perfect shots to score their goals, and Bourque’s goal in Game 3 was just amazing. But they need to get a couple of “normal” goals on him to both dent his aura of invincibility and boost their own flagging confidence.

• ebk says:

think you are splitting a pretty fine hair there but maybe so am I.

Anderson is playing well but he’s also been pretty lucky. Four games and the Habs have not gotten one ugly goal. If they start to come, this series changes.

16. habs-fan-84 says:

Budaj channels his inner Halak on Thursday.

Signed a big Price supporter.

17. Small_Town_Boy says:

The freaking heel of his skate is off the ice …. %^^%*^%%*

Dat’s wha me tinks

• habs11s says:

What an absolute embarassment to this league. 4 refs and multiple cameras and they still couldn’t get it right.

_____________________________________________________________

18. mrhabby says:

Gong show #2. However still in the series. Win in Montreal and turn the tide for game 6.
    I thought to myself with 10 minutes left something would go wrong sure enough they tie it up and win in OT. Man i hate those negative thoughts that get into my mind.
    Nice to see MB lose it on the tie goal..sure shows passion.
    I hope more changes are coming in the offseason and into next year.

PJ Stock, is a complete fool, even when he played he was lost most of the time. I suppose HNIC is better than putting him on welfare.!

• mrhabby says:

Vancouver done..

• ebk says:

The bullshit Healy, Stock and MacLean spew about Subban is absolutely bizarre. Friedman and Weekes seem embarrassed whenever it’s brought up.

Can’t wait for the CBC to lose their NHL rights.

• mrhabby says:

i suppose they see it as balanced reporting..some talk negative others talk positive. but it does get boring after awhile.. Healy and Stock just think they are the best.

• Small_Town_Boy says:

Ian, no it is not., way cheaper to put him on welfare … LOL

Dat’s wha me tinks

• Strummer says:

PJ Stock is on the panel for entertainment. Much like the buffoon for comic relief.
      It would be pretty dull if everyone sitting around there made sense and agreed on everything.
      Controversy sells. Panelists trading barbs makes for a more livelier show.
      Like Grapes you take PJ Stock with a grain of salt.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

20. Ozmodiar says:

I have a suggestion to some members of HiO on how to pass an evening if the Habs take an early exit from the playoffs:
    - watch Animal House

21. frontenac1 says:

@Habsfan 84. Exactly Amigo! It ain”t over yet!

• habs-fan-84 says:

Cheers Front.
      We’re not losing at home on Thursday.
      We’ll get some bodies back on Saturday and force Game 7 at home on Sunday.

• Alex_425 says:

Unless Anderson puts up the wall like he’s supposed to, and is able to. Considering how good he is, I’d be very, VERY surprised if we get it past him for 3 more games.

But I’m no expert….

22. “Hockey probably has the worst officiating of any major sport.”

I’m starting to agree. I used to claim that, given the speed of the game and the number of offside opportunities, NHL linesmen were the best officials going – linesmen, not referees. But last night’s problem, aside from the blown icing calls, rests squarely with the notorious Toronto “War Room” where the videos are reviewed. A clear kicking motion is plainly evident on the first Ottawa goal. That goal changed the whole game. Without that goal the Habs hold on to win 2-1 if we allow for the last minute goal and Therrien is a champ for grinding out a win.

23. New says:

Yeah they lost. But this time they lost better. Sure the goal was kicked in, yes the two late icings and that faceoff were blown by the refs and linesmen. But Montreal had plenty of chances to finish off the Sens and choked. Then they shelled the last period. They asked to have their butts handed to them and they got it.

Galchenyuk is going to be a great player. With Price, Subban, Colburg, Tinordi, Ellis and Deitz, they have a good start. They are still in this, but they aren’t a contender. In the future they may be.

• issie74 says:

New…I agree the have the young ones…The Bug-eyed Walrus pointed out to Therrien we play our young we don’t sit them on the bench.

I think Therrien has done a good job this year but play the kids they are a large part of this.

I don’t like to play shut down with a 1 goal lead …JMO

NorthTOHab

24. portle44 says:

” Did the zebras screw the Canadiens out of a win that would have tied this series?”

Yes.Now that you mention it they did. Not that the 20 minute third period penalty kill helped

25. jols101 says:

Lots went wrong for us last night. But does anyone else feel Galchenyuk was a foot or so offside on his goal? I watched it several times and it looks like he is to me. Anyway, it doesn’t really matter. It was a beautiful finish by a future superstar. I am so happy we have him.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

No, he was onside. I saw no complaints from the Ottawa side.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• New says:

Me too. Most of his earlier goals were from the blue. I think this one will bring his confidence back. I think he’ll work on things over the summer and I think there will be a sophomore surge rather than slump next season. Providing he is allowed on the ice.

• Chris says:

He was definitely onside…the puck is over the blue line by many inches and his back foot is still outside the blue line if you freeze the frame in the right spot.

26. roberge-mtl says:

We can blame the refs all we want, but they weren’t the ones playing passive, defensive, lead protecting hockey all throughout the third. By blaming the refs we take the onus off of the habs and put it on the refs, who won’t change anything they’re doing. We have to change what we can before things get better. Unfortunately this will likely come next year.

• New says:

You are right. In Ottawa’s barn, in the playoffs, they will lean towards Ottawa. They don’t mean to. They are just afraid they weren’t fair about something that influenced the game, so they doubt. When they are indecisive they give the team surging a break.

Refs influence games big time. Instead of getting excited and pointing out that they saw a puck cross the line they should remain calm and think “that was kicked or directed…I’ll wave it off and check the replay.” Because the rules say when it isn’t clear the call on the ice stands. By making a good goal call you are pretty well saying that video replay better show him wearing soccer shoes or it stands.

They are paid too much for what they bring to the table.

27. Wintercount says:

Therrien’s “No excuses” has become his excuse to say pretty well nothing in those monosyllabic pressers. Why is everyone so afraid to ask mt(mount etna) the tough questions?

“We put da pressure”

28. habs-fan-84 says:

Thoughts:

-Was last nights kicked in goal karma for the goal that should have counted for Washington in game 7 three years ago??

-I did not like the JM style 3rd period last night.

-The icing calls were irrelevant, at the end of the day Habs were able to get the puck in Ottawa’s zone

-Subban should’ve been playing on the PK all year. Also, PK should be on the ice in the dying seconds of a game

-Gallagher is unbelievable, whatever line he gets put on, he instantly makes it dangerous

-Price played a damn good game last night….hope he is ok..

-I don’t like the fans who’ve already thrown in the towel. It’s not over yet, we’ve come back from a 3-1 deficit in a series on a couple occasions in recent history. This series IMO still has 7 games written all over it

• adamkennelly says:

icings were not irrelevant…time off the clock if they are waived, forces players on the ice for face-off…even tho we cleared the zone – they cost us and they were bad calls.

• habs-fan-84 says:

From Chris earlier:

The icing calls were ultimately irrelevant. The Habs won the faceoff in their own zone, got the puck out of their end and had a chance to execute a full change. They did not do so, as Therrien had out the guys that he wanted (Plekanec, Moen and Bourque) despite the fact that those guys were gassed, and the Senators were able to once again walk through the chasm that opens up in the middle of the ice at least a few times per game of late. That was an egregious problem through the end of the season, and it was just a matter of time before it burned the Habs badly.

• Kooch7800 says:

Tough loss. The kicked in goal shouldn’t have counted but 3 or 4 shots on goal in the 3rd period is not good hockey.

I hope price is ok but I fear he is injured and won’t be in Thursday which could be really bad for the habs.

Prust also seems like he is hurt. he wasn’t 100% coming into the playoffs and he hasn’t played like he can in some time. Last night his shoulder didn’t look so hot after going into the boards

I agree with all your other points

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• New says:

I think Anderson speared him in the corner but I couldn’t see for sure. Anderson’s stick disappeared under Prust and Prust was bent like you bend when your spleen is poked. Prust had been pestering Anderson lightly. Anderson doesn’t like being touched even lightly. It is his drawback.

• issie74 says:

Kooch,where was the d-man who should have had Zabanejad?

NorthTOHab

29. Dust says:

Did I miss something? Were the Habs eliminated last night? From reading the comments here it sure sounds like it.
    It’s not over. Lots of teams have come back from a 3-1 deficit. There will be plenty of time for focusing on next season when this season is over. For now, the Habs are still in it. Lets focus on next game and winning it. What is the status on Prust and Price. Who is the next to be inserted in the lineup. Enough with the funeral talk guys. lets talk about how we win the next game.

30. krob1000 says:

I fear that we have another scenario like after the last lockout….where the draft winners and cup winners will be selected from a business perspective. AFter that last lockout…the Hurricanes win (Southeast) , the Ducks win (South west), then 3 original six teams win ( All American) with Piutts in the mix after the “lottery” winning a few number 1 ‘s ina row.Last year the cup again goes Hollywood.

• ebk says:

Rob, if you actually believe the NHL is fixed, why in the hell would you ever watch a game. realize you are probably just venting, which is understandable.

• krob1000 says:

Because I love the game….I don’t like how the rules are enforced but I love the game…always have and always will. Same goes for other sports that drive me ewqually as nuts…why umpires are used in baseball at all boggles my mind. There is no need in that sport for umpires at all and they affect so many games with the imaginary strike zone. IF hockey wants to go with 2 referees get one of the ice and give him an aerial view and a microphone.

• Chris says:

The NHL would never ever take on the risk to fix games and results. It simply is not in their interest to do this. The reward is small compared the potential penalties.

• krob1000 says:

The NHL cannot fix results…the players still play…but the playing field can definitely be tilted and in a league with so much parity the smallest of details may or may not change the outcome. Last night..it did though. I knew the game was in trouble when 3 or 4 infractions went uncalled and then tehy called DD ofr his hook…it was a penalty…but not after what they had let go already. There is now way that game can be reviewed objectively and a referred could call one penalty against OTtawa and 3 against MOntreal. They should just call any goal a goal off of feet intead of pretending there is a rule…..we have seen too many other goals disallowed for far less. Just let the goals count and eliminate the discretion. Discretion is the issue…the people making the decisions are all people too…..and people consciously or subconsciously are bias by nature.
        I don’t think Peel and LEe are on the take…I think they know they are loathed in Montreal and therefore I beleive have a bias built in whether they try to or not. It is the only explanation….the league has sseveral referres I don’t even know by nam,e yet almost without gfail these two keep coming back to haunt Montreal…and have for years.

• New says:

The games aren’t fixed but when stress hits you fall back on old patterns of behavior. Coaches as well as players. They make the same mistakes. A smart coach takes advantage of that.

• issie74 says:

You are on to-day knob. W e have been saying the same thing since the lockout ended.

NorthTOHab

31. SnowManHabs85 says:

Well should I ask? Who do you think we can draft if we’re gonna be eliminated in the first round? Think Habs have a chance at drafting Mantha?? Do you think MB finally saw what we’ve been saying (Habs were beaten because they were “small”)?

It sucks that Prust playing hurt was propably encouraging to other players but at the same time, being that guy responsible for that tying goal, it just sucks…

Win is a win, but I hope we win.

32. Phil C says:

All I know is that the Habs are still playing playoff hockey and this is not a very good Sens team. It’s not that big of a stretch for the Habs to win the next three, especially if they can catch a few breaks.

33. habsfan0 says:

DD finally showed up last night.
    Too little,too late.
    I’m sure MB is rueing his decision to sign him to an extension,particularly in midseason when there was absolutely no rush to do so.

• BJ says:

He could be trading material as he is signed for long term. He would do well on a bigger team and a team in need of a decent centre that already has some size could be a trading partner, we simply have too much of the same type of players.

34. Small_Town_Boy says:

As I sit here @ work I am still fuming about last night. I can’t get it out of my mind. It feels like I got the crap kicked out of me.

The smug look on McLeans face after the game sent me more over the edge.

I feel like I am going explode!

Dat’s wha me tinks

35. 123456 says:

OK, a couple of you are getting one of the rules wrong. You CAN direct the puck into the net with your skate provided that you do not kick it. So let’s get the straight. Now as fo rthe specific play – it was 100% kick. How can you tell? Well when a player stope htey have their skates on the ice and then creat a show “burst”. You can clearly see that player number whomever he was (the one with the great scrabble last name) lifted his one skate up to not only direct the puck toward the net but also kick it. If that is not enough evidence you look at the distance between the two skates – if the distance gets great before, while and after the puck is directed it is very likely it was kicked into the net.

Trying to be 100% unbiased is nearly impossible as I am a Habs fan, BUT, BUT BUT, I have no idea how that could be ruled a good goal. I would love to hear an explanation from the Leafs war room in Toronto.

Specific to the icings – generally a REF will not be shown up by a player, when a player does somethign to show up a ref you can bet there will be a penaly called – unsportsmanlike, embellishemnt, etc. BUT linesman are a differetn breed…. clearly the Ottawa Dpeople showed up the linesman on those two late icing calls. THe first was not too bad – I would have done the same. On the second the Senator player could be seen slowing down (see note about snow flying from teh skates) BEFOER he reached the goal line. That was a horrible non call and the linesman should be ashamed.

Having got that off my chest – it was a very good hockey game. We have seen in 3 games the Habs have generally been the better team. You dont get all the breaks and when two teams are evenly matched as these two are, hustle and breaks will win you the series. Habs won the hustle and breaks battle in game two (recall White’s goal – hustle and a good break) but have not been on the winning sid eof the breaks again.

Staying positive – won’t it be better to win in 7 and put a dagger in their hearts??

• Mustang says:

While I was hoping that it would be ruled “no goal”, I was not the least bit surprised that it counted. I am a Habs fan and therefore I felt it was no good but in all honesty, it was definitely difficult to determine 100% one way or the other.

Does anyone have any information on how Price is doing? What is the extent of his injury, etc? I couldn’t believe that he went down on his knees to stop a long shot that was clearly going to go over the top of the net. That is something I don’t understand about the butterfly style.

36. Shackles says:

Hats off to those players who are out there playing hurt, but if all you’re going to do is float, sit it out and bring in some bodies who are going to move their feet and get dirty.

37. habsfan80 says:

No more reading 80 year old man blogs for me! This team can and will come back from down 3-1 and all season boone has wanted this team especially price fail! maybe call the site whiningfakefansinsideout.com

• 123456 says:

i do not always care for boone’s stuff he writes (although i think today’s ALN is a good one) but his job is to get traffic to the site – thats has been accomplished.

• Clay says:

I’m sure Boone is devastated…

__________________________

38. 44har48 says:

We picked a bad time to get hurt and I don’t think we are respecting this team enough. Don’t kid yourselves. Ottawa has made a living out of hanging on and then beating you when you make mistakes or let up. We look at it like we are dominating the play and just not scoring, tough luck and bad refs, they look at it like they are controlling the play by clearing the net and limiting second chances, and taking advantage of our mistakes. We might not think so, but we are playing the game the way they want us too.

The refs always suck, they are human too, and it’s your job as a team to not put yourself in a position where you can’t overcome it. The refs had an atrocious 3rd period last night, yeah, but what about the first 11 periods of the series? and what about letting up when we desperately needed this game and that 3rd goal. Nope, this one is not on the refs my friends, and this team is not built for the playoffs yet either. Give MB a chance to make his mark on this team, which he will.

39. Alex_425 says:

On the bright side, at least we aren’t going to be swept outta the playoffs, like the Canucks.

This team is finished, though, sorry. And I am a fan, not a whiny baby who throws down the towel at the first road bump in the first game of the regular season.

This team is a bruised, broken, and bloodied gazelle barely limping away from the cheetah that is the Sens, who are about to go for the jugular and end it all.

Yes, it is and always will be “one game at a time”, but look at how hurt we are, do you really, REALLY see us with the endurance to be able to get through 3 more, 2 more, 1 more series, or even THIS series?

EDIT: On another note, it’s REALLY disheartening to constantly hear from the rest of the hockey world how much they truly hate us, and wish the worst on us, just because we’re the Montreal Canadiens. So much negativity, it makes it really hard sometimes to not step back from it all.

But I’m no expert….

• 123456 says:

about yoru last note – i understand it. i love to see the yankees lose. what you need to reply with is people always take shote as those on top (pepsi goes after coke, employees or media going after CEOs, etc.) it come with the territory od the most storied frachise in the NHL.

40. BJ says:

Nothing surprising here. Our team is courageous and gave it its all but its obvious (as its been to some of us here on HIO for years) we are simply too small and not tough enough. The boys are worn out and we simply need some bigger bodies. I’m still amazed at how well we have done and its still not quite over. But there is no way we can continue year after year with such a number of small players. I looked at the St. Louis-LA series and we would not be competitive over a series with the size of those teams.

• 44har48 says:

That’s what I mean when I say we are not built for the playoffs yet..still too small and fragile for the intensity and hitting.

• BJ says:

We are not built either for an 82 game schedule. Can you imagine our team as it is now in an 82 game schedule + playoffs?

• 123456 says:

it takes time to revamp a team. IMO 2 years from now habs will be a lot better. look around the nhl – look in the habs division… any teams that rebuilt and are now playoff caliber teams? (boston toronto)… both stunk and rebuilt – habs are doing the same. . . they just surprised the heck out of everyone and had a winning season

• BJ says:

I’m happy with our season and yes it takes time to come up with a winning combination. I just hope Bergevin and his advisors see the obvious. Too many too small players. We need size, skill and toughness. Easier said than done but thats the direction we need.

41. Steeltown Hab says:

Did we get royally screwed on the icings and the kicking motion – 100%

Aside from that, on the tying goal. Why is it such a struggle to move Turris out of the crease for Gorges.

Go figure DD played his best game of the series, was he a game changing type player? Not at all but not looking lousy is welcome in my book.

Subban can handle more ice, so can Galchenyuk who looked great on the wing (loved that line, Halpern was great).

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• 44har48 says:

Gorges has been my biggest disappointment this year, he looks downright awful, period, and has for over a month now. I really hope the guy is hurt.

That was pathetic to leave his guy alone in front and then stare at Turris as he came around and scored. Very typical play by him over the course of the better part of this year. He has had his head up his arse.

• Maritime Ron says:

That was Gorges 10th shift of the 3rd period and he looked out of gas (and I would bet he also is playing hurt)
      Gorges is not a big man for a D “listed” at 6’1″ 203 and Turris is about the same size.
      I would have preferred the big and rested Tinordi out there with the veteran and smaller, but plays big Bouillon

42. careysubban3176 says:

As I’m reading most of the comments on here I find it hard to believe no one is really complaining about the lack of goal scoring. Even though the refs gave us a royal screwing last night, if the Habs score that 3rd goal to make it 3-0 or even 3-1, they go into game 5 tied at 2-2. I find really funny about how some of you fans say Price can’t win in the playoffs, but it’s hard to win playoff games when you average less than 2 goals a game. And as for people saying Budaj should have started a game in the series, well, he just showed you why he is JUST a back-up goalie.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

43. nastyHABit says:

Regardless how this series goes,im proud of my Habs for their effort this season…..our strengths overshadowed our weaknesses for the most part…..most true fans will agree the Habs will be a force to be reckoned with!……THE FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT PEOPLE!….WE WILL BE BACK!….So suck it up,show some class, and stop whining about piss poor officiating

44. derfab says:

Emelin, then Eller took us out. Pacioretty, Prust, etc. renders it pathetic to where we are being beaten soundly by a mediocre club. The refs always suck. The key is not to suck more than they do.

45. adamkennelly says:

the goal was NOT GOOD. these guys are professional hockey players – they are in control of their feet…he purposely angled his foot to direct the puck into the net. prolly wanted to touch with his stick also – which he did before it hit his foot but he didn’t so the goal should not have counted. period. the kid was not smiling at all on the bench – pretty good sign that he thought it was coming back. and the icings did matter – time on the clock x 2 plus BS defensive zone faceoffs. I didn’t like the play in the 3rd dictated by MT but refs get a failing grade – again.

• Steeltown Hab says:

The kicking motion was so clear when he follows through on it.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Chris says:

You are allowed to redirect the puck into the net. You are not allowed to propel the puck into the net.

• adamkennelly says:

are you? thats not really true…if it happens accidentally – thats one thing but you are not allowed to purposely put the puck into the net with anything other than your stick. the “distinct” kicking motion was put in after they blew a few calls and tried to justify them…kinda like the NFL tuck rule.

• Phil C says:

From rule 78.4:

If an attacking player has the puck deflect into the net, off his skate or body, in any manner, the goal shall be allowed. The player who deflected the puck shall be credited with the goal.

• Chris says:

No, it really is true. You are absolutely allowed to turn your skate and direct the puck into the net, so long as there is no “distinct kicking motion”. The rule was changed a few years ago to try to allow more goals, and they left it intentionally vague which is why fans are so frustrated when a call goes against their team. You could hold your stick up in the air, turn your skate by 45 degrees and intentionally redirect the puck into the net and it will be a goal every time.

The NHL wants goals, and generally does not like to overrule the on-ice officials. So unless they REALLY have to call one back, it is going to count. I thought last night’s was close enough to the border that it would have been surprising to see the call on the ice overturned.

• adamkennelly says:

WOW…thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life…but I guess I believe you…do they include a definition of “kick” vs. quick turn of the skate to deflect puck into net? if you turn your skate with some level of velocity – is it considered a kick?

• Chris says:

Basically, the key thing to look for is whether the puck is propelled into the net by the skate or if it is simply redirected. If the player uses his skate to redirect the puck while using the puck’s momentum, the goal will count. If the player redirects the puck AND gives it the momentum it needs to get into the net, then it will not count.

Neil’s pass was hard enough that the puck was off Zibanejad’s skate before his kicking motion began which is why I think they allowed it.

Some of the guys are really good at it. Imagine what Peter Zezel could do in today’s NHL with the rule under its current form! :)

• adamkennelly says:

still leaves it way too open to interpretation. maybe they should have a physicist analyze the play to determine if m2v2 >m1v1 – i.e. if the puck accelerates after contact w/ the skate then its no goal – if it doesn’t then it is..I still stand by the fact that players are not really supposed to be purposely directing the puck into the net with anything other than their sticks….rule is written so league has wiggle room depending on which way they want to go after analyzing intent.

46. KenD29 says:

For me, I look at Therrien and him keeping Galy on the bench most of the third. For having Diaz and Gorges on the ice with Subban on the bench with less than a minute and still up 2-1 and Prust who was already favoring his shoulder also on the ice at that point too.

And in OT, what d pairing was on the ice when the goal was scored?!

All About Work Ethic

• BJ says:

Therrien will have next season to manage the team and try to go deeper than we will probably go this year. If not we will be looking at another coach.

47. Ozmodiar says:

Is it safe to say Lady Luck wasn’t on our side last night??

All 3 Sens goals were lucky in some way.

1st:
    - linesman calls the faceoff on the wrong side. MT sends the wrong centerman (DD) out for the draw, expecting it on the other side.
    - after a lost draw, the puck squeaks between Tinordi’s legs and is kicked/directed in by a skate.

2nd:
    - with 30 seconds left, after 2 missed icing calls, the Sens carry the puck into the Habs zone and lose control of the puck. That’s when I said “uh-oh”, because it usual results in chaos.
    - Prust falls down. The puck hits his foot, then he swats the puck with his stick and it goes right in front of the net to Conacher. We would have been better off if Prust was on the bench and we were shorthanded.

3rd:
    - Price goes down on a nothing play at the end of the game.
    - Diaz elbows the puck past Budaj for the win. Dang, what was he thinking??

48. HABSsince92 says:

Well it was a fun first 2 and half months of the season but it’s not happening again for the Habs this year…………….IMO the season fell apart due to too many injuries at the wrong time (the last few weeks of the regular season and playoffs) and below average goal tending from Carey Price at the wrong time (again the last few weeks of the regular season and playoffs)

There’s always next year which has sadly become the theme of us Habs fans since that Spring of 93.
    ___________________________________________________

PK please sign.

Hab’s have been a real treat to follow this season. I have sure had my money’s worth of entertainment, no matter what happens the rest of this season.

This is only Bergevin’s first step half year in the rebuilding process. Which will take a couple more years to rebuild after years of no real long term franchise direction.

Bergevin is building around fantastic, young, fast and developing talent, with a bunch of older hard working vets and mentors, that will be phased out and replaced by our developing draft picks, over the next few years.

I have great respect for this years accomplishments, in our new owner, management, coaching, scouting, and players, that have only been in place for less than 6 months. Just remember how far they have come in just a few short months.

Win or lose this round, they have already surpassed expectations and rebuilt long lost pride in the whole organization.

• KenD29 says:

hopefully MB surrounds the skilled players with some bigger grittier supporting staff or the trend will continue.

Sens play a similar style of speed game yet have a couple of bangers and a much stronger d corps.

All About Work Ethic

• Maritime Ron says:

Well stated, Ian.
      Yesterday I posted how the Hawks process basically took 8 years with astute drafting, trades (P.Sharp) and UFAs (Hossa-Campbell)
      It’s hard to pinpoint where we are exactly in the process and how many more years it will take, but this management team will build for long term Cup contention, and not short term ‘let’s make the playoffs and hope for a miracle.’

As for not panicking and moving out precious 2nd Round draft picks this year, back in 2002 the Hawks used a 2nd round pick 54th overall to draft Duncan Keith who would go on to win a Norris.
      Our own PK was drafted in the 2nd round and also has Norris written all over him for the next decade

• Marcusman says:

I with you Ian, RDS costs me $5 a month…thats’s $35 for the season! I watched all 48 reg. season games …it;s a crying shame Eller was creamed.. changed the whole pace and meaning of the series…we can only pal it one game at a time.

50. AllHailTheFlower says:

How about you spare the insults to Boone, jackass. You don’t like it here, go start your own blog.

51. gmur says:

Not that I’m a big fan of ex-NHL referee Stéphane Auger (retired in 2012), but last night on the antichambre he said that it was clear that on the Sens first goal, the puck is not only directed in, but there is a distinct kicking motion. Bad goal, according to him and he couldn’t understand how Toronto could say otherwise.

PJ Stock, in his infinite wisdom, (after saying how much respect he has for Therrien) criticized the coach for not having two centres on the ice with 8 minutes left in the game… pardon my ignorance, but the Habs have three good faceoff men (and only Pleks has a win percentage over .500 in these playoffs)… and one righty… how can you keep at least two on the ice for the last 8-9 minutes of a game without having them completely exhausted? In any event, regardless of any answers people here might provide for the question, Stock is a pea-brain of gigantic proportions.

52. Thomas Le Fan says:

This ain’t over until the fat … er … husky … lady sings. Go Habs!

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

53. Ton says:

support your team…………lets win the next and force ottawa to win that deciding game on home ice……..who knows we may get the break and win a overtime game! we don’t know who is in and who is out……..whomever is in net doesn’t matter……..our back goalie has proven he could win……….were down 3-1 and not up 3-1 therefore Price was not a factor………

MT has been out of the leaque for a few years and you can tell its like he is starting over! Basically i would classify him a seasoned rookie coach………he will gain something out of this as well……..yes we need to get bigger no doubt!

• Captain aHab says:

Habs have to win 3 games in 4 nights. Tall order my friend. If Prust is out, we have very little grit left. Markov simply cannot handle 3 in 4 anymore….we’ve already seen it in this series where he blew all 4 tires in the 6-1 game. Habs should play 7 d-men all three games…it’s not like we have a logjam of quality forwards to play right now anyway. Add Pateryn for some size and on-the-job training.

Ryder should sit. If he’s going to avoid playing hard to not get injured for next year, then grant him his wish and send him home. I’d rather have a younger guy whose trying in there.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

54. Maritime Ron says:

WHY was Galchenyuk basically shut down in the 3rd period?

He had 3 shifts in the 3rd period – 1 lasting 48 seconds, another lasting 18 seconds, and his final shift of the 3rd period was over with 10:34 left in the 3rd period.

Exactly what did he do to warrant that?
    Was it the goal he scored?
    Was it being Plus+1 and defensively responsible all night?
    Was it the 4 shots he had to lead all Habs last night accomplished in basically 2 periods?

Of course it’s better to play that ‘defensive stalwart’ – a guy that can knock people off the puck and is solid on his skates….

Desharnais had 8 shifts in the 3rd period – was on the ice for the 1st Ottawa goal, and played 4 more shifts after that.

Of course we didn’t want that 3rd goal to sew up the victory. Better to leave Galchenyuk on the bench and play that defensive stalwart, right?

55. JF says:

I’m finding it difficult to blame Therrien for his decisions late in the third. Most coaches would have had veterans out to protect a lead at that point.

What I can find fault with is the way the team played in the third period. Sitting back and trying to defend almost never works – something we had ample proof of last year when we must have led the league in blown leads. Hopefully this most bitter lesson will be the one they finally learn from, coaches and players alike.

It’s tough to outplay your opponent in three games out of four yet find yourself down 3-1. And with such a banged-up lineup, I see little hope that we can win another game. But I thought right from the beginning that our chances in this series were not good. The Sens are much tougher than the Leafs, and they can play hockey. They also got healthy at the right time, while the reverse happened to us.

And they got all the bounces. There is no way that first goal should have counted. But they say these things even out over time, so I expect that at some point down the road, we’ll get the bounces and they’ll get the bad calls.

This was never our year anyway, as most of us knew. We have some great pieces in place and more in the pipeline. This is only the beginning.

• Ian Cobb says:

When I saw the way we were just defending the lead in the 3rd and letting them come at us, I said that we had just lost the series, to people that I was watching with. They must keep the puck on our sticks and press, not continually ice the puck or dump it out for their possession. It was just a matter of time against a cold net tender.

56. gmur says:

I don’t know how many times this season the Canadiens blew leads in the third period, but by my estimates, at least 5… make that 6… and counting. During the regular season, I just remember getting very nervous whenever the Canadiens had the lead in the third. They seemed to play differently, and inevitably that lends momentum to the opposing team. As noted above, Therrien shortened the bench last night. My question to him would be: Is that the same tactic you tried during the regular season and you tried it again? Or did you rotate all four lines during the regular season when leading in the third and saw things you didn’t like about particular players, so you decided to shorten the bench last night?

Honestly, I don’t think anyone can second-guess Therrien. Not the way he’s coached this season. After the debacle of game 3, to have the Canadiens come back and play what was arguably their best 45 minutes of the series, and in a style that most resembled the way they won all season, hats off to Therrien.

There was a spitload of bad luck last night. At least 4 very debatable calls by refs in the last 15 minutes. Injury to Price. Lucky overtime goal.

All I can say is the effort the Canadiens provided last night shows everyone that they are the read deal. The series isn’t over, but without Price and Prust… to quote Dylan:
    ‘It’s not dark yet, but it’s getting there.’

57. And oh my god, what was Diaz trying to do on that OT goal, that couldn’t have been more perfect of a flinch? I bet he got into the nyquil big time last night.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• gmur says:

My guess: trying to do too much… new goalie is in and he’s trying to block the shot… bad reflex, bad luck… you could try that play 100 times and the puck would never go in.

58. Captain aHab says:

Folks, you don’t have to look too far to find out why our D isn’t great. Look at the drafts we’ve had since 2000 that could have produced guys ready now:

2008 No d-men selected
    2007 McDonagh, Subban, Weber, 3 scrubs
    2006 Fischer, Carle, Valentenko, scrub
    2005 scrub
    2004 Emelin, Streit, 2 sçrubs
    2003 O’Byrne, scrubs
    2002 2 scrubs
    2001 Komisarek, 2 scrubs
    2000 Hainsey and whatever else

We seem to be getting better at drafting d- men but that list is a whole lot of crap and what wasn’t crap has been mostly traded away. That explains the gaping hole we have now. Considering how little we had coming down the pipes, the trading of McDonagh was even more of a head scratcher.

Habs also have to stop drafting smallish forwards or larger but softer forwards. I know that is easier said than done but we don’t have much size coming up anytime soon. My hope is that some of those smallish guys develop so we can build a package to gain some size.

And I really, really hope that Pacioretty is hiding a bad injury because his game has gone AWOL…he’s getting pushed off the puck way too easily for a guy his size.

For next year, Pleks will be traded for size on the wing, Gionta will be traded at some point. Diaz will be packaged for a stay at home minute eater to play with Subban so Markov can move to second pairing. He simply cannot handle 1st pairing minutes anymore. Gorges has to be a 5-6 d-man next year and Bouillon should be a 6-7 d-man.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

59. JayBee says:

The refs were atrocious….but Therrien made some blunders. Taking the foot off the gas in the late 2nd and 3rd. Benching Galchenyuk while giving DD way more icetime (I trust Galchenyuk more than I do DD in a tight game). Having Prust who didn’t even have an arm out there in the last shift of the game. Then having Diaz and Gorges (LOL) in the last minute. 2 soft Dmen. Last but not least…why was Halpern not out there? Pleks lost the last 3 key faceoffs to end the game. I blame the league, but our coach again blundered.

60. Grabbed The Cup says:

The smoke and my mind has cleared; Barring an effort of truly heroic proportions given their injury situation, coupled with outstanding goaltending, we will lose this one. Remember that chill you got when Eller got nailed? That was you realizing the Habs werealready in big trouble, at least that’s me anyway, crap…

You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can’t stand little notes on my pillow. “We’re all out of cornflakes. F.U.” Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Unger!

61. Hobie Hansen says:

Not taking anything away from the Sens who played well but man does it ever suck to lose a game because of a botched icing call by the officials.

And if that wasn’t a “distinct kicking motion” I don’t know what is?

****************
    “The Senators had beaten the Canadiens like a pinata. An undersized, soft pinata at that.”

–Mike Boone

• Strummer says:

How did a botched icing call cost us he game when we got the puck back into the Sens zone after the face-off following the icing?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Maybe the Sens don’t even get back into our end if that’s not called icing?

Maybe we strip the puck from Ottawa at center ice and score?

It changed the outcome for sure.

****************

–Mike Boone

• Strummer says:

maybe we push a little harder when we had the puck in the Sens zone after the icing and score an empty-netter

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup. The non-icing may not have directly caused us to lose but it changed the complexion of the game.

****************

–Mike Boone

• issie74 says:

Boone needs to stop with his inciting of HIO members.JMO

NorthTOHab

62. frontenac1 says:

Habs in 7

Does Alain Vigneault walk the plank this summer?

Is it time for the Pens to switch over to Vokoun?

Is Switzerland for real? They are now 3-0 at the Worlds after beating Sweden, Canada and the Czech Republic.

Is it time for no-touch icing next year? For sure. Such an easy way for the NHL to improve the game.

Is HI/O about to turn on M. Therrien after just four playoff games? A series where the team has played with a depleted, banged-up lineup. And we love to make fun of the laffs and their fans. Certainly has to make you wonder.

64. Marcusman says:

What? Over? Did you say “over”? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Therrien got to fancy with his time out in the second…and buddy kicked in the goal…BUT WE PLAY AGAIN ON THURSDAY!

65. Psycho29 says:

Good Morning all…..Ugh…..I think I would have preferred a 6-1 loss.
    I stayed away from here last night, how bad did it get???

Habs in 7 !

• It was great! I PVR the game, and caught up to the third. I don’t post during games, but I came on to read the third.

Matty, Twilight, and some others were keeping everyone positive and any time someone tried to slam the Habs this reply came up. “Support Your Team” or “Stay Positive, Support Your Team”

The negative posters just stopped after a while.

It was good to see all the Habs fans cheering together.
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• RetroMikey says:

The game last night shows that teams bigger and physical players will prevail than a fragile team like the Habs who have soley based that speed and skill will go far in the playoffs according to the club and most of the fans. That is so false.
      Say bye bye to firewagon hockey.
      The experiment has failed for so many season with this club.
      I expect Bergevin and Dudley will make a major overhaul with this club in year 2 of 5 of a rebuilding problem.
      I sometimes wonder if it was best if we tanked for the season and got a top 5 draft pick this summer ( a great year of prospects). Now we get a bottom feeder first round pick.
      Was it really worth it to make it in the playoffs knowing Bergevin and Dudley see the weaknesses on this club?
      I am sure they were surprised as hell the team made the playoffs in their first year with the club and were planning to rebuild this team with a high draft pick to go along with selecting Galchenyuk last summer.
      Anyways, raise your hand in the air if this has been another disappointing year again! I’ll be the first one.
      BIG IS BETTER, I’ve said this for the past 4 seasons.
      Lots of work for the management, this club will not turn things overnight.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Ton says:

we got great talent coming up………..we have a s**t load of draft picks this year in a good draft………we have trade-able assets………..were ok…………i know its a dark day but paul mccartney did say “follow the sun”…………….why did he pick ottawa over montreal……..ah Paul!

• RetroMikey says:

We’ve said this many times in past seasons before, we have a s**t load of talent like Hainsey, Higgins, Lapierre, Locke, Milroy, Benoit, Kostitsyns, etc…. good draft picks, etc…the list goes on and on,….what is talent?
          You need a top 5 draft frat pick again, that player to compliment Galchenyuk like Crosby and Malkin, then start getting the big players with some skill but with grit to go on the team.
          It will be an interesting summer what Bergevin does.
          And this year, don’t be surprised if Bergevin loads some players who many believe were mainstays with this club for years.
          To me, not a successful season when you get knocked out again and say “better luck next year” over and over.
          1993 and counting.
          “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

66. Habfan10912 says:

One last moan before I shut up. We learned an awful lot about some players in this season. Here are my thoughts.
    1. Ryder has not earned a big payday and is not a good fit here.
    2. DD cannot play hockey at this level without getting much stronger.
    3. Tinordi will be a top 4 dman in this league.
    4. Galchenyuk is going to be a star.
    5. Jury is still out on MT.
    6. MB has a lot of work to do.

• I’m very happy about the team.

The team has the scoring, just need bigger defense. Please draft Ryan Pulock!

I think as coach you need to time your men to have at least PK out there the last minute. That, I will never understand.

And Galchenyuk should have gotten more ice time in the third. 1:50 in the third is not enough.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• jo_maka says:

Ain’t gon’ hap’n, Cap’n.

The fact that we ended up 2nd in the East clouded the fact that we’re not built for playoff hockey. Good enough to get in, not enough to get through. And that prohibits us from snatching a high pick like Pulock . Maybe a Morrissey or a Hagg if we go for a Dman.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Maritime Ron says:

Regarding Ryder, it would be interesting to know if he was playing hurt and if so, did that hamper.
      Next, how better would he be playing with Galchenyuk?
      What is a 33 year old supposed sniper worth in salary and most important, TERM
      Two years would be great-maybe even 3, yet you just know someone out there will offer 4 and possibly 5 with good money.

• AllHailTheFlower says:

Funnily enough, I thought last night was Ryder’s “best” game so far in this series – at least he looked like he was interested.

67. francbiss says:

I didn’t like the 2 goals against. The first one was kicked in and the 2nd one, Canocher was clearly in Price’s space. As McGuire says all the time…managing expectation. The future is bright

68. Maritime Ron says:

So what Dmen are chosen to play that last shift and why?
    Is there a chance we made another coaching boo boo?

The score is 2-1, and what would you expect Ottawa to do in the last minute with the goalie pulled?
    Of course they will be Net Crashing.

Leading up to the tying goal….
    1) Tinordi makes a mistake letting the puck get between his legs for the 1st Ottawa goal – plays one more shift after that, and then is benched with 6:07 left in the 3rd period.

2) Bouillon is benched with 4:24 left in the 3rd period.
    3) Subban and Markov? Basically both unavailable as they had just completed their longest shift (1:49???) of the night that ended 14 seconds before the tying goal.

The choices:
    >Josh Gorges-it would be his 10th shift of the period and he was out of gas.
    >Diaz-it would also be his 10th shift of the 3rd period, and he plays small, especially with a known, desperate net crashing to come.

OR do you play…

A rested big body in Tinordi that has been ‘trusted’ with critical PK time all series, and a rested veteran Bouillon that plays much bigger than Diaz.

Coaching chose Gorges/Diaz.
    We are in trouble if Diaz is chosen as a shut down guy!

69. I feel a lot better after reading this morning’s emails. I got 6 emails from Leaf and Bruins fans saying the goal one was kicked in.

One game at a time now, but the outlook is bleak.

Bottom line in the end. The Habs played poorly in the third, and could have win the game had they stuck to their plan.

We all saw it. What did we get in the third, 3, 4 shots.

Better defense would have been able to win that game in the third. Work on that this summer.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

70. EastCoastHab says:

A lot of people laughed at me this morning. I was at the city dump throwing out a big screen tv with my habs hat on….not good.

All is not lost (except my tv). Perhaps we come back and make things interesting at least tomorrow night. There will be injuries this time of year and I honestly think that if a player is not 100% then they don’t play. Even a player who might not be as skilled who is 100% should get the call. Sorry, but that’s my feeling. If the Sen’s know we are hurting (and we are) they will take advantage of the crash and bang game and we are toast.

• Clay says:

With all due respect – what kind of an idiot throws out his TV because a hockey team lost a game?

__________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Clay. There are a lot if things in my house I’d throw away but never my TV! :)

• Clay says:

Good evening ;) Jim
          I have a projector, but I also wouldn’t throw it out no matter who lost!

__________________________

• EastCoastHab says:

It was actually because the tv was broken last month by my son…but the irony of me with a habs hat on throwing out a tv wasn’t good.
        It was humor….not idiotic.

People are a little touchy this morning??

• Clay says:

Not at all touchy…the way you phrased it, you left out a key piece of info.

__________________________

• EastCoastHab says:

It was funnier the first way I thought. No worries, perhaps I am the touchy one today. The e mails from the leafs are not coming in yet but I am bracing myself.

Have a good day

• Small_Town_Boy says:

Clay loves to insult people. It is what he does best!

Dat’s wha me tinks

• Clay says:

Hi Priceberg! Came out from under your rock, I see.

__________________________

• Strummer says:

You should be disposing of your TV in a more eco-friendly manner

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Ozmodiar says:

Do you mean by burning it in his backyard? I hope so, b/c that’s what I do! …with an old jug full of moonshine as my accelerant.

71. jrs10069 says:

Funny story. Hoping to ensure a positive outcome for the Habs I decided to clean up my pooch’s backyward winter shit bucket before the game. Imagine rotting shit soup. I took care of business under the impression that it would be the worst thing I would have to endure that night. It wasn’t.

jrs10069

72. Shackles says:

As a pretty objective Habs fan, I calls it as I sees it and the officiating was horrendous at both ends of the ice. Neil should have been called at least twice for holding Bourque’s stick. It was so freakin blatant right off the faceoff when he’d grab on to it for at least 4 seconds. Desharnais has got to stop hooking. I would have thrown him in the box a few more times last night – where has his speed gone? Is he trying too hard to find the game he used to play? Turris winding up the slapshot at Gorges – where are all the Ottawa fans crying foul on that one? And the Eller hit aside; Gryba is a dirty little sonuva – whacking Patches stick out of his hands, hitting DD from behind when he was nowhere near the puck…but he’s not that kind of player. Of course, none of the saintly Sens are. Now, let us bow our heads & pray.

73. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. Like many if you I am licking my wounds. Just a heartbreaking loss. Bad calls. Poor coaching decisions. Horrendous bounces of the puck. Too many injuries.
    We are just to beat up for a decent playoff run. Emelin and Eller are huge loses. It’s wait until next year for me.

• It seemed the Sens could clutch and grab all night long, late hits and get away with it.

I look at the first goal and to me as a player, there is no way he moves his skate like that to slide stop. You may turn and angle a deflection but he turned, angled and kicked with a follow through and his foot actually comes off the ice! No one stops like that.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

74. Chris says:

Did the NHL officials cost the Habs? No, not even close.

The Habs had a 2-0 lead and took their foot off the pedal completely, despite the knowledge that the Senators had already come back on them with a 3 goal outburst when they did the same thing in Game 1. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The Habs have been icing the puck far, far too often down the stretch and in the playoffs. Once again, Therrien was forced to use his timeout in the second period because the team couldn’t clear the puck from their own zone. So a recurring problem once again bit them in the rear end, as he did not have that timeout later in the game when he needed it. As Arpon Basu said, if the Habs don’t like the linesmen’s icing calls, they need to stop icing the puck so bloody often.

With Emelin, Gionta and White out and Pacioretty, Prust and Markov all ailing, the team’s depth is being seriously challenged. It will be a very tall order now to beat the Senators in 3 straight games with Anderson so dialed in that it is taking absolutely perfect shots (Bourque in Game 3, Subban and Galchenyuk in Game 4) to beat him.

• jrs10069 says:

Chris you’re right on all counts but once again the refs made bad calls that impacted our team (assuming you’re cheering for mtl). Neither goal should have counted – kick in / interference + icing should not have been called (I believe they blew at least 2 other icing calls). NHL wants habs out, refs have been told, end of story.

But if Plek could shoot the puck, we win in OT.

If I was MT I would have guys who can really shoot and have shown they can score on a good goalie out there. Benching G didn’t make any sense.

What a heartbreaker.

jrs10069

• Chris says:

I don’t think it was definitive enough of a kick for the call to be overturned. The puck went off his heel as he was stopping. He certainly repositioned the skate (which you are allowed to do), but he was also in the process of stopping.

As related by Kerry Fraser in one of his “Hey Ref” columns earlier this season, here are the criteria used to determine the distinct kicking motion:

“Several Criteria are used to determine kicked pucks and if the puck entered the net as a result of a distinct kicking motion:

1) Did force made by movement of skate propel puck into net or did skate just change direction of puck?
        2) What direction was the player’s skate travelling in when it made contact? Was it moving in direction of net?
        3) What direction was the player’s skate travelling in when it made contact? Was it moving in direction of net?
        4) In what direction was the player facing when the puck reached his skate?

I think they would argue that the player was stopping and used that justification to allow the goal. It is certainly frustrating, but at least this way people have the league’s directives to their officials.

As for the interference, there is no way they would call interference as Gorges basically threw Turris into Price. I always watch for player reactions…Price did not even glance at the referees, a sure-fire sign that he felt he was unfairly interfered with. If Price couldn’t muster enough anger on the play to talk to the referees, it becomes a little silly for me to be outraged.

• Ton says:

well a 12year hockey official on hockey anticambre last night reviewed the goal frame by frame……..he said no goal..clearly no goal…….but the second one was a good goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Chris says:

Unfortunately for us, Auger was not the referee in the booth last night. I think it was close enough that it could be called. And again, both Price and Tinordi had front-row seats and neither even so much as glanced at the referee to question whether it was kicked in.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Chris. I tried to say what you said but you captured it so much better. Thanks.

• Ozmodiar says:

No, the officials did cost the Habs.

- The faceoff before the Mika goal was on the wrong side of the ice. That was a blatant mistake. If you don’t think that was a big deal, then I guess you didn’t notice Therrien’s reaction before the draw, DD discussion with linesman, and even Bergevin’s confusion from his box.
      - The non-calls on the icings prevented precious seconds from ticking off the clock. FYI….the tying goal was scored with 22 seconds left.
      - The kick… I won’t bother debating this… it’s been done. I will say this. Quoting the rule book doesn’t really help. I think most people know the rule. It’s the interpretation that is up for debate.

These mistakes most definitely cost the Habs.

Can the loss be blamed on these mistakes? Well, that’s debatable.

• Chris says:

The faceoff things happen all the time. Yes, it is frustrating. But mistakes get made.

Ultimately, I don’t think it is a big deal because you still have a chance to win the draw, you still have a chance to not leave Zibanejad completely uncovered at the side of the net, etc.

The icings were debatable. The Habs felt that Karlsson could have gotten back to the puck, and the officials gave him the benefit of the doubt. Montreal had a couple earlier in the game where Markov probably could have gotten back to it if he was skating hard, but he eased up just enough to let the puck cross the line. That is a common game played between defencemen and linesmen in the NHL…the Habs got burned because they were icing the puck, not because Karlsson gamed the linesman.

As for the rule, most people actually do not know the rule. That was why I included the criteria that the NHL itself issues. “A distinct kicking motion” is intentionally ambiguous to allow as many goals to count as possible. The key one here is that the officials look for the redirected puck to be propelled into the net, not just deflect. On that count, Zibanejad’s goal was legitimate. The “kicking motion” in this case, while there, was largely after the puck had already caromed off of his skate.

As somebody else pointed out, it is just unfortunate luck. There was no screw-job or anything like that, just some bad timing for the team to see its good luck dry up. The Habs enjoyed a relatively adversity-free season, and the bad breaks are unfortunately all piling in on the team right now when they need to play almost perfect hockey to win.

• Ozmodiar says:

>most people actually do not know the rule.

Yeah, you’re probably right on that one. :)

• FlyAngler says:

Sorry Chris, but your logic and reasoning are circular here. If the defenceman is not making the effort to get to the puck before it crosses the goal line then the icing is nullified. Shooting the puck from your side of center ice over the other team’s goal line does not in and of itself constitute icing.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

75. Small_Town_Boy says:

I completely lost it last night. I was outraged. I lost my voice. I was spitting as I ranted. I was seriously moments from a heart attack or stroke & i’m not kidding about that! My wife was scared out of her mind. She said it was only a game.

Dat’s wha me tinks