About last night …

Screwed

Late dispiriting bulletin: Scott Gomez goes to the next round.

Et si vous comprenez le français, here’s Ron Fournier’s take on the controversial goal.

At least Canadiens fans will have something to bitch about all summer long.
Actually, a few things:
On the sequence leading to Mika Zibanejad’s goal, why was the faceoff on the wrong side of the ice?
Why did the goal count if replays show Zibanejad’s left skate moving to redirect the puck?
Why weren’t two icings waved off late in the third period?
All leading to the fundamental question: Did the zebras screw the Canadiens out of a win that would have tied this series?

Chris Nilan routinely refers to NHL referees as “donkeys”.

The former Canadiens tough guy enlivens his very good TSN690 talk show by making “hee-haw” sounds any time the discussion turns to officiating.

Hockey probably has the worst officiating of any major sport.  From the whistles that are buried deep in referees’ pockets when the playoffs start to the guys whom Don Cherry dismisses as “failed referees” booting players out of the faceoff circle, there are a multitude of questionable calls that leave fans of one team or another feeling aggrieved.

But did officiating cost the Canadiens Game 4 … and probably any realistic hope of winning the series?

It wasn’t the refs who benched Alex Galchenyuk  for the final 10 minutes of regulation time – even though the rookie had scored his first goal of the playoffs and led the Canadiens with four shots on goal.

It wasn’t he refs who had Josh Gorges, Raphael Diaz and a severely hurting Brandon Prust on the ice for the final seconds of the game.

I don’t want to second-guess Michel Therrien.

The Canadiens’ coach has done a helluva job this season – up to and including having his team ready to play a great game 3 … for 40 minutes.

In his postgame remarks, Therrien said the Canadiens didn’t retreat into a defensive shell for the third period.

I dunno, it sure looked like vintage Jacques Martin lead-protection. The Canadiens didn’t have a shot on goal until the period was six minutes old and ended up being outshot 13-4.

At that, they held a 2-0 lead until there were only eight minutes left to play. Then the home team – who deserve credit for their refusal to quit – got a break and cranked up their game.

Galchenyuk watched it all from the bench. As did Gabriel Dumont, who had gone 6-0 on faceoffs while Tomas Plekanec was 10-17 and Jeff Halpern 7-11 – 4-12 and 2-7, respectively, in the defensive zone.

Through 80 minutes of third-period hockey in this series, Ottawa has scored nine goals. The Canadiens have ZERO. And this is a team that outscored opponents 50-33 in third periods during the regular season. Playing the up-tempo style that carried them to great success this season, maybe the Canadiens just run out of gas in the latter stages of playoff games.

Plus the team is beat up.

Having avoided serious injuries for most of the season, the Canadiens lost hard-hitting defenceman Alexei Emelin in Game 38. And they’ve been dropping like flies ever since.

Lars Eller, Brian Gionta and Ryan White were unavailable for Game 4. Max Pacioretty looks like he’s nursing something. And we won’t know until Wednesday – if then – whether Carey Price and Brandon Prust will answer the bell for the Thursday night game that may be the season finale at the Bell Centre.

The Senators know they’re dealing with wounded prey. Ottawa had 61 hits in Game 4 – including 10 by Chris Neil.

To their credit, every Canadien skater had at least one hit. But they can’t match Ottawa in terms of physicality.

And it’s frightening to contemplate how this undersized team would fare in a seven-game series against St. Louis, L.A. or Chicago.

The Canadiens’ postseason won’t include any games against the Western Conference – not this year, anyway.

Going forward, general manager Marc Bergevin and his staff – including Rick Dudley and Scott Mellanby, who weren’t shrinking violets during their careers – have to make the Canadiens bigger and tougher.

Game 4 did not slip away because the Canadiens were outmuscled. But the tying goal was scored with Brandon Prust injured and on his knees while Gorges and Diaz tried  to cope with a sea of red sweaters engulfing Price’s crease.

There was a sickening sense of inevitability through the sequence that led to Cory Conacher’s goal. As they did through the final weeks of the season, Canadiens fans were just waiting for the other skate to drop.

And it did, resoundingly … with a thud that will echo until September.

1. Laramy87 says:

So apparently the NHL has apologized to the Habs about location of the faceoff on the Sens first goal. What does the waroom have to say. I dont want apologizes I want accountability.

I want MB to call out the NHL with direct reference to the first goal. I usually dont let games get to me the next day after a loss becuase well the sun rises again. But I am still bitter today about it.

2. Small_Town_Boy says:

@ Danno:

The Habs have been blacklisted for the last umteen yrs anyway!

Dat’s wha me tinks

3. Maritime Ron says:

The score is 2-1, and what would you expect Ottawa to do in the last minute with the goalie pulled?
    Of course they will be Net Crashing.

So what Dmen are chosen to play that last shift and why?
    Is there a chance we made another coaching boo boo?

Leading up to the tying goal….
    1) Tinordi makes a mistake letting the puck get between his legs for the 1st Ottawa goal – plays one more shift after that, and then is benched with 6:07 left in the 3rd period.

2) Bouillon is benched with 4:24 left in the 3rd period.
    3) Subban and Markov? Basically both unavailable as they had just completed their longest shift (1:49???) of the night that ended 14 seconds before the tying goal.

The choices:
    >Josh Gorges-it would be his 10th shift of the period and he was out of gas.
    >Diaz-it would also be his 10th shift of the 3rd period, and he plays small, especially with a known, desperate net crashing to come.

OR do you play…

A rested big body in Tinordi that has been ‘trusted’ with critical PK time all series, and a rested veteran Bouillon that plays much bigger than Diaz.

Coaching chose Gorges/Diaz.
    We are in trouble if Diaz is chosen as a shut down guy!

4. Small_Town_Boy says:

MT F’ed up big time by not playing Galchenyuk the 3rd. He score a goal & had 4 shots on net WTF?

Dat’s wha me tinks

• Marc10 says:

I agree. His veterans let him down. It will be interesting to see if he reverses course now that some trusted vets couldn’t get it done.

5. Fansincebirth says:

Beautiful sunny day here in Ottawa and the douchebag Sens fans are already at it….had a newspaper clip taped to my office door when I came in.

IF we are unable to move past the Sens then my head is filled with bad thoughts directed at the Sens for winning the way they did but it ain’t over yet :)

• I feel bad for you I know how it feels to be in enemy territory.

One game at a time now. Going to be really hard with 7 or 8 players hurt.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Fansincebirth says:

When we were up 2 – 0, I cautioned my kids not to post anything on Facebook and not to taunt but to quietly go about things today. Absolutely unreal what people were posting to their FB pages and now this today on my office door. I had another article taped after pulling down the first. The Sens fans are such assholes it is really quite sickening. They are a pathetic bunch of poor winners and poor losers.

That being said, it would have been an uphill battle winning the next 3 with a healthy lineup but with the walking wounded we have now and not looking good for Prust or Price…..almost an impossible task.

• KenD29 says:

have to cut them some slack. Look at the teams they had a few years back that won the league during the regular season then choked in the first round!
          It’s their first taste at winning 3 playoff games !

All About Work Ethic

6. rjcp says:

Wow, the denial is amusing. I’m just as upset they lost but it wasn’t the referees that caused it, we did. The level of play in the 3rd, the choice of soft, weak players to be on the ice for the tying goal, the icings (yes, the referees could have waived them, but WE shot it down the ice, not just to centre ice or a high lob, DOWN THE ICE), those same icings when we know we suck at faceoffs, especially in our zone, etc. We are just too banged up, small, and I hate to admit, mentally weak, and for this series at least, out-coached. I felt like punching something after the tying goal, not so much the winning goal, because as Boone correctly points out, we’ve grown accustomed to waiting for the other shoe to drop. For me, it was good they showed MB et al in their box, tells me he’s passionate enough to make the necessary changes. Glad they had a great year, it was fun, and if they miracously come to life, getting to watch a few more games ain’t so bad.

7. PureGuava says:

This wasn’t the Cup year anyways gang. This team wasn’t going anywhere in the playoffs without its top 3 hitters in the lineup (Emelin, Prust – not 100%, & Eller). The majority of the top six are wounded – Eller, Gio, Patches are the obvious ones, but it’s also evident that Ryder hasn’t been 100% since his night off a few weeks ago.

Too many holes to fill without a good bounce or two, and a blown call to pick up the slack – if it weren’t for bad luck, the Canadiens would have none.

The bright side: Eller, Gallagher, Subban, Galchenyuk, Tinordi – all look like they’re going to be the face of the franchise for years to come.

Chins up – The future looks bright.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
    - Robert Anton Wilson

• Small_Town_Boy says:

Prust will never be able to play a 82 game shedule. He has a shoulder issue that will never go a way.

Dat’s wha me tinks

• PureGuava says:

Understood – If they shut him down and operate now, he’ll be back by January.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
        - Robert Anton Wilson

• KenD29 says:

al the more reason MB should have made a trade at trade deadline to get Prust some help even if it meant a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

All About Work Ethic

8. Here’s one that should have been called in the tying goal? Unbelievable!!! Its time to plaster this on front page of all newspapers in sports section. I’m to fustrated to make any further comments cause it ain’t going to change a dam thing. Pur Habs are down 3-1 in series and have an uphill battle ahead. Enough said. There’s so much to say about last nights game. Here’s the link and make your own comments HI/O Fans.

9. Marcus10 says:

Problem with refs in the NHL is how much calls are open to interpretation. They simply don’t call it straight. It looks like they already decide who to target before a game or series starts. PK and Prust come to mind…big bullseyes on those two.

If the games was tied 1-1, NO WAY that goal would have been counted. Can’t let the outcome of an important games rest on a questionable goal. Since the score was 2-0, they gave the benefit of the doubt to the losing team. And in doing so changed the outcome of the game and series on a questionable goal.

Complete and utter BS!

“Look, I love skilled hockey and hate thuggery. But postseason NHL hockey is Game of Thrones on ice, a two-month, ruthlessly Darwinian war of attrition.”

Line of the night by MB. As they say, there is always an element of truth in all forms of humour. What the Habs need to do moving forward is now crystal clear.

11. showey47 says:

Still in disbelief over how awful that 3rd period officiating was.That is something you might see in regular season or even more in preseason but not the playoffs. One more thing that pissed me off that basically our best crease clearing dman in tinordi,our best faceoff man in dumont and our most skilled forward in galchenyuk all pretty much spent the 3rd watching from the bench.

• 24 Cups says:

To be fair, I think every coach in the NHL would have gone with experience over three guys who have never played in the NHL. Same goes for Diaz/Gorges. Who else did MT have to put out there? The team can’t play Subban/Markov for 60 minutes.

The Habs realistically are somewhere between a team that finished last in ’12 and 2nd this season. More core parts are required and that’s going to take some time. I just hope those additions reflect where the team needs to go.

• showey47 says:

you play your players who give you the best chance to win,regardless of experience.for a team that sucks on draws,leaving dumont on the bench with so many key dzone faceoffs is stupid.

Every once in awhile, the headmaster uses a musical tribute to make his point. This song describes my state of mind this morning.

13. Le Pew says:

Hey, the Habs did not show up for game 3 at all. Last night they had 4 SOG in the 3rd. Both strategies will leave you in the L column in the playoffs.

14. Bob_Sacamano says:

Yes, it did. All the Habs mistakes wouldn´t have mattered at all if the refs had been half-decent.

15. habsfan0 says:

Since clinching a playoff berth in Buffalo on April 11, the Habs have gone 4-8.

Injuries? Fatigue? Tuning the coach out? Or, just settling into what this club is really all about after overachieving the first 3 months of the season?

Probably a little bit of everything.

• The Cat says:

Im going to say too small. The one constant throughout the year was the habs’ so-so divisional record. We can often extrapolate that to playoff games as theyre typically close and tight physical checking games where you have to earn each inch on the ice. Ryan Clowe wouldve been just perfect for a run IMO.

• PureGuava says:

You can sum it up with one word: “Emelin”.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
      - Robert Anton Wilson

• JUST ME says:

With all due respect tuning the coach out is closest to being foul mouth than a valuable theory .Just do not give any value or reason for such an explanation other than the fact that you did not like Therrien from the get go.

I think there are many reasons for the Habs problems starting with Emelin`s injury. It does seems like the timing is exact with the start of the habs problems. He brought his own ingredients to the game that were not replaced. But i also think that there are a few injured players that are doing their best and playing injured .
      The team did have a let down after they were qualified for the playoffs . I guess it is a normal reflex but it meant to adopt wrong work ethics for a team that needs to go full throttle to succeed.

We must not forget to be honest and admit that nobody saw them in the playoffs , nobody ,so i guess this is a bonus .

16. Danno says:

Kyle Turris should have been called for goalie interference on Conacher’s tying goal – and the goal disallowed.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• PureGuava says:

Meh,

Two many holes to fill without a good bounce or two, and a blown call to pick up the slack – if it weren’t for bad luck, the Canadiens would have none.

Chins up – The future looks bright.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.”
      - Robert Anton Wilson

17. Marc10 says:

Guess who was in the war room in TO reviewing those goals…

Colin Campbell and Mike Murphy.

Case closed.

18. ths says:

I agree with the re-tread strategy.
    Rehire AV until he messes the bed then hire Boucher.
    After that Carbo or Julien
    Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

19. Mavid says:

sorry I thought there was another game Thursday..must be my mistake

20. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The reffing was incompetent, but the Habs did not score enough to win. They were Jacquesmartining in the third when they desperately needed another goal.
    Still, they played hard, and weren’t even expected to be playing this late in the year. I think they are doomed, but as an evaluation season, this one was extremely useful. There is a lot to work with.

21. KenD29 says:

at least the sun is up this morning.

All About Work Ethic

22. Small_Town_Boy says:

C’mon Gorges, if you though the puck was kicked in then just say so. Not one player or MT has the testicular fortitude to call it what it was “A SCREW JOB”. I guess these millionaire’s can’t part with a small fine to get it off their chests!

The NHL has become an absolute joke. It is bush league right from Buttman down to the refs.

That’s it I’m finished with the NHL. What was once a great league is now crap!

23. The Cat says:

I dont get the sitting of galchenyuk, him, prust and halpern were the best line by a mile in my mind. Well until I fell asleep on the game anyways.

24. The Cat says:

I still say its not over. Habs can come back, theyre the superior team/ And PK is superior to Karlsson.

• wjc says:

If you listen closely you can hear the ‘fat lady’ singing.

To many injuries to comeback, time to move on, nice weather, spring is in the air. Shut the TV off and move on.

wjc

25. twilighthours says:

Just woke up – still feeling as crappy as last night.

• Fransaskois says:

Woke up to the news… that’s a bad morning. Luckily PK and Galchenyuk both went top-Gino with a couple of great goals, makes the future seem a little brighter.

26. The Cat says:

Other sports would be embarrassed to have such egregiously bad refereeing, but not the NHL.

• The Cat says:

A puck off the skates -even with a kicking motion- should always count as a goal anyway…Make rules to take decision-making away from those morons.

• wjc says:

No other sport equals the speed and violence of the NHL. Football is played on grass, with shoes and has frequent stops in the play.

Baseball is one baseball and one batter. Chess game on a field.

Soccer….forget it.

Boxing….two men to worry about.

Golf…..simple….hard to do but simple…put it in the hole…next.

Wrestling…..fake show

Hockey needs replays from 5 different angles to realize what happend before your eyes.

Hard skating, harder hitting, small black thing traveling at high speeds, deflections etc.

20,000 fans screaming, numerous camera’s, pissed off coaches, players. In the end one team happy and one team pissed.

wjc

27. Danno says:

This one hurts. Big time. It was going to be a big win And it Slipped Away

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Jim Edson says:

No slipping it was flushed away by reverting to JM style hockey something which became commonplace during the end of season swoon!
      ———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

28. smiler2729 says:

And nobody’s on Budaj’s ass for that lame goal? If it were Price, everybody’d be going crazy!!

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• jphk says:

Very true. I thought Budaj was supposed to lead us to the cup like Halak (oh, sorry, Halak did not…)

• The Cat says:

It bugs me when people belittle what Halak did. Yeah he didnt win the cup, yeah hes fragile but at the end of the day, he led the team further than Price. And just because you dont like it; it doesnt make it untrue or any less special.

• wjc says:

That ‘Halak’ thing needs to be put to bed. How long can people relive it. Focus on the now, and let the river flow on.

I don’t think some people realize how boring that subject is.

wjc

29. WindsorHab-10 says:

I know the officials gift-wrapped it for the Sens, but Michel Therrien should take the full blame & may be even get his walking papers for coaching like JM in that 3rd period. Not to mention his whining during & after game 3. His unconditional love to Diaz & Desharnais baffles my mind.

• Jim Edson says:

It was always thought MT was on a short leash!

Que sera sera!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

• jphk says:

I assume this is anger. MT takes a last place to 2nd in the East and he should get his walking paper? I think we have had enough managerial changes in this organization. To think we would even be in the playoffs this year was considered ludicrous at the beginning of the year. Now, we are upset because we have not won the Cup???

• Jim Edson says:

MT has done some incredible things in his “new ” persona but his ice time and PP allocations supposedly based on performance except if you are DD , Max, Gionta is seriously flawed!

———————————————————————-
        What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

• wjc says:

Maybe, he realized the team was banged up and could not keep up attack they had done for two periods.

Maybe he sensed the team needed to lay back a bit instead of pushing hard as they had been.

My biggest problem was not the skate thing, but the fact he was over there all by himself. Wrong face off guys because they were on the wrong side perhaps.

The scramble in front, and unable to control the size of the players.
      Tinordi should have played, but maybe he was protecting him from a gaff that would ruin his confidence. Same with Galchenuk.

Gallagher cannot continue to be flattened and be effective.

Icings bothered me because they seemed slow and should have been waved off, but they weren’t.

Put some fresh bodies out there and see what happens on Thursday, but I can hear the fat lady singing in the distance.

Positives, they made the playoffs, young players got experience, and they know what they must do in off season…..get bigger so they can push back better.

wjc

30. Cape Breton says:

I counted seven consecutive faceoff losses by Plex vs. Turris late in the third and during the very short OT. Me thinks that MT has way too much faith in #14 on important draws.

• Jim Edson says:

The only center who had a winning faceoff record last night was Dumont and he was benched for being too young!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

• smiler2729 says:

Been saying it for years!!

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• habsfan0 says:

Plecs has always been horrendous in the face off circle late in a close game. Guess who lost the draw on Nathan Horton’s game winning goal in OT of Game 7 a couple of years ago? Winning draws is crucial to the success of a hockey team,Plecs just isn’t up to it the way Bergeron is with the Bruins.

31. Whatever says:

Who is large on the Canucks that we can steal in their fire sale?

I hope this series has shown management that the NHL playoffs are an entirely different sport. You need larger players with more than just heart to compete. It’s obvious. Even you pacifists in here can see it. It’s not about goonery.

In our own division, who would you rather compete in a physical series with; Toronto, Boston or Ottawa? Yep, and look how that turned out.

Sigh.

• Jim Edson says:

Just so YAPPIERRE is not involved or even mentioned!

The hue and cry will start with AC especially with Normand Flynn!

That ship has sailed and got run up on the rocks!

This team is supposedly built on character and self entitled crybabies are PNG!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

32. gexx says:

its up to Molso to take the video and stirr up the pot,,,if he doesnt scream who will, it was a clear kick…do you think toronto would have said bad goad? seriously,,,the game was Montreals…too bad there are no backbones in the administration or all hell would have broken loose,,,its a shame no one fights…i would have screamed murder if it were my team force the reply infront of the fucken officials…tooo fkn bad..

• wjc says:

If his foot had been perfectly still, it still would have went in. He should have been covered. Covered, as in, not allowed to be there all alone.

Who missed that open player, no excuse.

wjc

33. Marc10 says:

Ron Fournier goes nuts on 98.5fm

If you understand la langue de Moliere, you’ll appreciate this:

‘Kicking motion…’

• D Mex says:

Fournier : un gars animé LOL :-)
      On the other hand, his idea of Molson ‘ et al ‘ visiting the war room for a first-hand explanation of the blown call is not bad.
      Never happen, tho …

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

34. Mill4ever says:

I banged my head on the table , staring in disbelief.. disgusting..

atleast it’s just the Senators and not Boston or Toronto

35. VancouverHab says:

PS: fire Therrien and (re-)hire Vigneault.

36. VancouverHab says:

“Late dispiriting bulletin: Scott Gomez goes to the next round.”

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

37. ds says:

Well it’s unfortunate that we’re down in this series we should have won game 1 & game 4 and be up 3-1 but it is what it is, a learning experience for our young core.

I hope somebody wakes Michel Therrien up that Diaz is not a top 4 defenseman and is a liability whenever he’s on the ice.

Georges can’t do anything when Diaz won’t block a floater in OT and screens our goalie at the same time, it’s ridiculous that this scrub keeps getting rewarded and fails.

Bring in Drewiskie or Beaulieu or Kaberle but please sit Diaz, we can still win this series.

38. DickandDanny says:

I think I am still suffering from shock. Not from the loss, but from the officiating both on and off the ice. My wife barely watches hockey, and even she said “are you allowed to kick it in?” It was probably as clear a video replay of a goal kicked in as you will ever see. Another poster aptly referred to it as a soccer chip in. You don’t need to kick as long as you direct your skate towards it and then angle it at the last second to propel the puck (ball in soccer) toward the goal. The suttle foot action directing the puck coupled with the speed the puck is traveling causes it to be sent into the net. Hence the deliberate foot motion is what caused the puck to change direction and go into the net. Thereofre it was kicked into the net on purpose, which my understanding is illegal. So, ok the refs missed it, no problem the war room will pick up on it right, and disallow it. Nope, good goal. This is why I am still stunned. Their ruling baffles my mind. Are you kidding me. Then I remebered they review these things in Toronto. Humans from Toronto deciding Montreal’s fate. Wow, is that a recipe for disaster for us. And that’s what we got. Screwed. Too bad one of the best games I’ve seen Montreal play in th epast few seasons. They deserved better. And one last thing those two icings late in the game. Brutal. Karlsson should be up for an academy for his slow mo speed to reach one icing, and the other Ottawa D man actually turned away from the puck and went on a different angle it seemed on the other arriving just a little late. Again brutal refereeing. I agree the NHL refs and linesman ar eprobably the worst of any sport. Tim Peel, Chris Lee, that guy Divorski, man they are so bad. Pittiful in fact. And what did we get for PP time tonight. Was it a couple or four minutes. There were so many interference penalties that could have gone against Ottawa tonight I lost track. They are masters at getting away with penalties. Again, very brutal and I feel bad for the habs tonight. Good luck in the series boys you can come back and win this thing yet.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

39. Un Canadien errant says:

The Canadiens played up to expectations for fourty minutes, generally skating well with the puck, and being first on loose pucks, with Carey Price doing what he’s been drafted and being paid to do. So far so good.

Then in the third, very quickly, we were transported back to the Jacques Martin-era, with the team collapsing back into its zone, not challenging the opposition but playing rope-a-dope. We didn’t forecheck, we didn’t provide opposition at our blue line. We clung to a slim lead as if they were the last two goals we’d ever score. And the Sens came back. And tied it. And won it in overtime.

Cue the excuses. It was a kicking motion. They were in our crease, the bad meanie in red threw Josh Gorges on Carey. Carey got hurt. Peter was cold coming off the bench. That guy with the nicotine-yellow moustache behind the bench was kind of offputting.

But it was our fault. We all saw it coming. We turtled and hoped Carey would Halak us out of Ottawa with a win. But a Senator held on to his stick, what are you going to do. The refs refused to call a penalty, interference, in the third period of a playoff game. Unheard of.

The Canadiens players and coaches put themselves in the position where the refs could decide the game. If they’d kept playing, instead of sheltering in place and letting the Sens storm the ramparts, Michel Therrien wouldn’t be harping on the location of a faceoff. “Pas d’excuses” indeed.

———————————————————————–

• The Jackal says:

That’s all beside the point, isn’t it?

3 costly reffing mistakes and the game was tied.
      Habs battled back in the third and weathered the storm only to get the short end of the stick. It should not have happened, it should not have been decided that way.
      If the Sens had actually scored clean goals then that’s a different story.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• wjc says:

Actually, to be fair, the ref left it up to the war room to make the decision, so he is not to blame.

The other officials are called linesmen and they screwed up in my opinion. Didn’t like Canadiens icing the puck anyways, they were asking for trouble.

wjc

• christophor says:

Respectfully, I think this is totally wrong. Usually there is too much excuse-making going on, but there were blatant illegalities without which this was likely a 2-0 game.

Even without those officiating errors, is it really unthinkable that a team trailing in the 3rd would have a good spell for 10 min? It happens all the time. They were weathering it.

The Habs didn’t have a good 3rd. You’re right. But to say this was to blame for two illegal goals is unreasonably self-deprecating.

• The Jackal says:

Agreed, usually the excuses concerning reffing are cheap, but in this case they are spot on.

Habs did not put themselves in a spot to be bent over by the refs.
        They did not call interference on goal 2 yet they called it for our goal in the same situation in game 1. What the hell is that?
        Also, how is goal 1 not a kicking motion? Zib knew what he was doing and that he would have to use his foot – that is illegal.

Meh…
        I know the Habs will bounce back and win game 5.
        This team has lots of character.
        The Sens have a good team too and they hang in there, but we are due to get on a roll, get some bounces and win game 5 big and we can steal 6 in Ottawa and voila, we have a best of 1 series.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Marc10 says:

It’s a combination. The refs handed them the game… but we didn’t have the horses to contain the rush (although truth be told they did… if you accept that the icings weren’t icings at all).

So yeah UCE, I kind of agree… If we had a Chris Chelios and a Rick Green back there, things would have gone differently. Maybe in a couple of years… That said, it does not excuse the blatant rule violations.

I still think we can win, but now it’s going to be an epic mountain to climb. I hope someone gets fired in Toronto and that none of the on-ice officials get the call for another game in the playoffs. No excuses.

40. habsfor25 says:

Funny thought. I can remember standing outside a club on st Laurent last summer with a couple of friends and there was Prust and the club next door, interestingly enough the club was a hole in the wall (bsides) anyways at this time I didn’t know much about him as a player and thought he would be just a mediocre fourth liner or a healthy scratch. Man was I ever wrong. Anyways we struck up a conversation that lasted for awhile and even got a photo with him. Ask him why in the hell would he come to montreal, he didnt get the memo that this city ruins players (jokingly) anyways really a Stand up guy. Now I met Michel therrien at the casino de Montreal. Not so much friendly. Didn’t accept a photo and actually just walked away (can’t blame the man probably gets bombarded constantly)

41. habs1992 says:

@johnnylarue, say where will you be at around noon tomorrow LOL

I support Carey Price

42. NightRyder says:

I absolutely want to second-guess Therrien. Repeated third-period collapses are always a surefire sign of poor coaching. He does an excellent job of preparing the team and did a great job with the kids. He remains a poor tactician, part of his downfall in Pittsburgh.

I also want to encourage Boone, Stubbs and their colleagues to insist the NHL make all of their referees available post-game to explain themselves to the media.

43. habsfor25 says:

Idk if any of you watched the highlights of the game on tsn but Michel looked to be almost in tears during the press conference. Must be really frustrating, the difference in this game was the damn refs. I’m not being biased because I’m a habs fan. Ridiculous calls on the Faceoffs. But in better news atleast were not the Canucks. We still have a chance to grab this series. I know everyone probably thinks its impossible and I can say the same to some extent but this team still have fight left in them and we have something that I haven’t seen in awhile and that is heart. Here’s to game 4 and let’s take it to these boys one game at a time

44. habs1992 says:

Im amazed how any team can win the cup in a full season, how does not every1 on the team be banged up and can barley move. I mean an 82 game season then you start playoffs, the more I think about the more I appreciate how hard that is, you see how banged up were are after 48 games.

I support Carey Price

45. Pisstoff4greatness says:

Fact: 3rd Period SCORING in this series

Sens 9 Habs 0 (no players mentioned, just a FACT)

We’ve sucked in the 3rd Period this series!

It’s not the sole reason for being in a 3-1 position, but that’s the most important period of the game!

It’s not like we haven’t shown up for this series, apart from some individual players on the team, but we’ve flaked out at the wrong times! Can’t expect this team to play perfect to every game but, where’s the “Character”? Isn’t that what MB & MT we’re bitchin about all season long! Rubbing more salt on some wounds out there, but fact is that Sens dealt with injuries to Major players CG, JS etc, and they’re winning because they had the experience of having to win without that star player being in the line up! For a Majority of the season, this team was HEALTHY, Yemelin, Eller goes down and most players on this team forget to play smash mouth hockey.

Rationalize this: NHL Player Defensive Statistics – 2012-13 in (Reg.Season) in the Top 100:
    Habs – A. Emelin (110), L. Eller (86), T. Moen (82) , F. Bouillion (78), J. Gorges (68)
    Sens – C. Neil (206), M. Methot (130), C. Greening (122), Z. Smith (97), C. Philips (93), E. Gryba (89)

NHL Player Defensive Statistics – 2012-13 (Post-Season Stats) – After Just 3 games
    Habs – B. Prust (14) – playing hurt, R. White (11) , R. Diaz (9), T. Moen (6) , F. Bouillion (4), J. Gorges (1)
    Sens – C. Neil (16), M. Methot (10), C. Greening (9), Z. Smith (5), C. Philips (10), E. Gryba (1)

Drive425

Drive425

46. habs1992 says:

I dont think I will be sleeping tonight,

I support Carey Price

47. Jim Edson says:

Anyone watching Chris Lee’s handywork in San Jose?
    Masterful just masterful!

This donkey and Tim Peel working the playoffs is a joke a monument to the pathetic state of NHL officiating!

Does the NHL not pay enough to attract and retain competent people or is this yet another case where a union blocks any attempt to weed out underperformers.

These two are involved in more controversy than should be considered acceptable!

———————————————————————-
    What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

48. habsinnyc says:

I’d like to know what it takes to make something a “distinct kicking motion.” It sure looked like Zibanejad moved his foot toward the puck and then turned it after he made contact with the puck. Just like a soccer striker does when he’s chipping the ball into the net.

At least the refs are crap everywhere. The penalty on Sedin that led to the series clinching goal was a terrible call.

There is no accountability for the officials in the league. At least in the NFL — the best managed sports league there is — will acknowledge officiating mistakes.

Really maddening that the game turned on that sequence.

49. Propwash says:

Their backs are against the wall, time to take it to game 7 and WIN THIS THING!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

50. The Jackal says:

Gomer moving on to round 2!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

51. johnnylarue says:

Bergevin owes Prust some help, and probably an apology.

That guy’d never had a serious injury in the NHL until he came to the Habs and found himself absorbing a lion’s share of punches and hits on behalf of his 22 teammates.

He has a high pain threshold. To watch that guy writhing in pain on the ice and continue to play through it… It may have been misguided–considering the tying goal and all–but that has to be recognized as an act of heroism at its core.

Remember, that guy gets paid the same whether he plays or calls in sick.

So yeah, I think Prust qualifies as “un vrai de vrai”. A mensch.

He needs and deserves a better supporting cast. I hope the GM agrees.

In fact, I’m sure he does.

• HaBo says:

I truly believe MB will address the toughness/grit issue. Yet I
      do wonder why he didn’t do so this season already.

• johnnylarue says:

No one really expected the Habs to do as well as they have–Bergevin included–and I just think he wasn’t fully prepared to deviate from his plan to make a go of it.

If he could have a redo, I think he might act differently–especially in light of the Emelin injury.

52. habs1992 says:

WOW, we have lost 5 OT playoff games in a row BAD LUCK.

I support Carey Price

53. Fargo Habs Fan says:

Had the boot goal not counted, we would have been killing phantom penalties the rest of the night. Different path, same result. I’ve lost all faith in the NHL. Granted I am biased, but at least I can admit to that.

54. HaBo says:

If the Habs play game 5 like they played tonight they still have a good chance to win that game and put some real pressure on Ottw
    in 6 and 7.
    Some how I don’t feel that we’re out of it, however, depending on the injury list I may reconsider come Thursday.

I don’t like to whine but the National Headhunting League (called it that for about 8 years now) clearly has the the most
    uneven, inconsistent and poorly trained and managed referees
    in major sports. They are embarrassing. And how can the
    league allow a kicked/redirected goal in with replay review???
    Just look at the crosscheck to PK’s head in game 3, 10 seconds in w all ref’s and linesmen looking on!! Is there anything remotely professional or rational about that??

Kudos to the Habs tonight though. Still behind you
    boys.

55. The Jackal says:

Now that the dust has cleared, I thought I’d put forward some points.
    The Sens were full value in their effort, but regardless, they should not have tied the game. The refs made costly mistakes that directly led to the score being tied at the end of the third. At worst, this was a 2-1 win.

Nevertheless, it appears MT did make some bad calls putting Gorges and Diaz out. However, they would have been changed had the right call re. the icing been made. On the subject of Chucky, I assume he was watching the game from the bench to minimize mistakes. Questionable but understandable.

I don’t think anyone expects a cup this year, and MB will definitely improve this team. But that being said, I hope MT loosens the reigns on Chucky and PK.

I think we are better than the Sens, but we have not gotten the bounces, the reffing has been a factor, and injuries have been a factor. We went into the playoffs with injuries to Emelin and a few guys obviously nursing stuff. Now we lost Eller and Gionta, and possibly Price and Prust. The Sens got Cowen and Karlsson back and they went in on a roll. We can beat them and I say this goes to 7 games, but on the bright side, changes will be made to improve the team.

I say we win the cup in 3-5 years.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• johnnylarue says:

Good post. And I agree–Chucky was just getting his groove on when Therrien locked him up.

That coaching move–regardless of what the Therrien said in an interview about not slipping into a defensive shell–is the embodiment of ‘going into a defensive shell’. It’s sitting offence in favour of defence.

I’m not mad at any of our players or coaches–no part of that job looks particularly easy–but facts are facts: the Habs sat back in the third. They hesitated. Ottawa pounced. How the goals went in is irrelevant–eventually, it just became obvious some goals were going to be scored and that they would be scored by Ottawa.

56. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, dropping My ellipses was not any help to My Team’s karma tonight, obviously

…those ellipses carried Us to first place in our division …and, I am returning Them to Their rightful place among all the other irritating thangs I contribute to HIO :)

…if Ya dun like it, You can suck My hockey stick :)

• The Jackal says:

…We need ellipses now more than ever

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

……………………………………………………………………………………………….

…and, that’s just the first consignment

• Un Canadien errant says:

I love you like a brother Chris, but those dots are eyesores, so unnecessary. Just don’t do it. Start a sentence with a capital letter. Resist the infantilization of the English language.

And you’re not getting anywhere near me with that hockey stick.

57. sheds88 says:

im sick of being humilited either on the score sheet, fights, playoffs. but i do believe in bergevin and his staff. still doesn’t fix the burn NOW

58. Habs Requiem says:

I said at the start of this series we would need more than 2 lines scoring to win. Well we haven’t got that. DD’s line has been an absolute anchor out there even strength or on the PP. Yet the guys scoring and/or providing the energy are not getting the TOI. Why? What was the reason for the 3rd period JM coaching job. Was it to remind the fans he coached both Ottawa and Mtl and couldn’t win in the playoffs?

“I reject your reality and substitute my own”.

- Adam Savage

• habs1992 says:

To be fair JM had the most success in the postseason in 20 years for the habs conference finals and Game 7 to the cups champs

I support Carey Price

59. Email the NHL Referee’s Association here. You have to be heard. Do not let this rest.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

60. habs1992 says:

Please MB get Dave Clarkson, Please give him watever he wants keys to the city anything PLEASE

I support Carey Price

61. Chuck says:

Boone says that the other shoe has dropped and we’re already looking forward to September… the biggest Boone reverse jinx ever. We’re gonna win this thing in seven.

62. C-Sword says:

Price, Eller, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Bourque, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Subban, Emelin, Charles Hudon, Sebastian Collberg, Danny Kristo & Morgan Ellis.

BELIEVE!

63. podbay says:

It’s unfortunate that after such a stellar season returning to Montreal, we are now left second-guessing decisions by Therrien late in games. Did he advise the team to go into a defensive shell in the second period intermission? Why does he bench Galchenyuk for such a lengthy period of time? Why does he put a hurting Prust on the ice? We’ll never know. But it’s disappointing to wonder about such decisions while dealing with sub-professional officiating, about which we will never hear anything from the NHL. Sad state of affairs all around.

64. HotHabs says:

Too bad for the loss and the way in which it happened. Refs dictate too many outcomes in NHL hockey.

With 3 must-wins ahead, the Habs are facing a formidable task, especially with several players nursing wounds. It’s comparable to climbing the north face of Everest with shoddy equipment: it would take nothing short of a miracle!

Take solace in the fact that they pulled off a regular season miracle by finishing 1st in their division and second in the conference!

Agree with Boone and many other posters that the team needs a few bigger bodies with some skills.

65. Chuck says:

All this means is that we’ve got to put together a little 3 game winning streak.

66. Chuck says:

You just know that Gallagher and Subban will somehow get hosed out of their awards.

67. habs1992 says:

“Im forever yours faithfully’ those lyrics describe my devotion to the habs

I support Carey Price

68. The Teacher says:

Both goals should not have counted. We totally got jobbed by the referees tonight. I expect molson to get someone fired. Too many mistakes made in a single game for it not to happen.

Make no mistake. The eller and Emelin injuries have cost us dearly.

With regard to prust. Either he has broken ribs, his shoulder is hanging by a thread, or he has fractured his sternum. I didn’t like the grabbing of his chest twice in the latter stages of the game. The area he was grabbing was sternum area. I should know, as I fractured mine once. Very, very painful.

69. SUMO says:

The guys played their hearts out and deserved a better fate. There is character and resilience on this team. Whatever happens in game 5, I’m proud of this group to have battled like they did.

70. Sportfan says:

I’m going to be but I want to add one thing THE REFS IN THE NHL SUCK AND ARE ACTUAL DONEKYS

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

71. commandant says:

For anyone who missed it….

Kyle Turris clearly in the crease, and clearly impeding with Price’s ability to make the save, just seconds before the tying goal.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

72. Sportfan says:

Good old Nilan we should keep calling the refs Donkeys

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

73. habsfan0 says:

Habs are still alive.

74. Sportfan says:

It was the best of times it was the blurst of times! YOU STUPID MONKEY!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!