About last night …

PriceTooth

Wonder what the “bug-eyed fat walrus” thought of number 31 in a red jersey.

Or number 76.

Or number 53.

Or number 14.

Or that number 8 who compared the Ottawa Senators head coach to a marine mammal with a weight problem.

Shall we just go on through the whole roster?

Your Montreal Canadiens came up with perhaps their gutsiest win of 2013 Friday night at the Bell Centre.

After Ottawa coach Paul MacLean used “number 61″ to dismissively describe Raphael Diaz after Game 1, Brandon Prust took umbrage and described the Senators’ coach in the aforementioned unflattering terms.

Michel Therrien didn’t like MacLean’s comments, either. The Canadiens coach said Diaz – and, by extension, the whole team – were being disrespected.

These mind games are not uncharacteristic of the playoffs. But annoyance with MacLean seemed to inspire the Canadiens, who played a brilliant game despite missing three regulars.

It started with number 31. Bouncing back from an opening-game performance that revived suggestions he’s incapable of winning big games, Carey Price had the Bell Centre skeptics chanting “CA-REY! CA-REY!” throughout a 29-save performance.

The win was costly for Price. In Pierre Obendrauf’s Gazette photo, he’s handing Canadiens athletic therapist Graham Rynbend the two teeth that were knocked out when Jarred Tinordi’s skate hit the goaltender’s mask.

Price got support from teammates who blocked an astounding 34 Ottawa shots. Fifteen Canadiens had at least one blocked shot, and number 76 tied Josh Gorges for the team lead with five.

That would be P.K. Subban, who decisively outplayed Erik Karlsson in Game 2. And it was a turnover by Ottawa’s reigning Norris Trophy winner that led to number 53 opening the scoring for the Canadiens.

Ryan White, who spent most of the season in Therrien’s doghouse, has emerged with two excellent games in the playoffs. White spent part of the pre-game warmup chirping Ottawa tough guys Zack Smith and Matt Kassian, the latter a questionable addition to the Ottawa lineup in place of Cory Conacher.

MacLean sought to bolster his beef level in anticipation of the Canadiens looking to pay the Senators back for the injury to Lars Eller. But Kassian contributed nothing beyond some angry post-whistle glares, and the Canadiens avenged Eller by racking up a W in which they avoided goonery – as if they could if they tried – while outhitting Ottawa 37-26.

Number 8 had six hits, as did Colby Armstrong, who returned to the lineup and played a strong game on the wing with a variety of centres – including the superb number 14. Tomas Plekanec did not register a shot on goal, but he won 16 faceoffs and was heroic on a penalty-kill that was 4-for-4.

Despite the absence of  Eller, regular-season scoring leader Max Pacioretty and captain Brian Gionta, the Canadiens continually exerted pressure in the Ottawa zone; and Anderson faced tougher shots in the 34 directed at him than was the case when he made 48 saves in Game 1.

In his postgame remarks, Therrien said his team didn’t have to bounce back because the Canadiens had played well in Game 1. Perhaps so, but  the Canadiens got a markedly stronger effort from David Desharnais, who was invisible in the series opener. Diaz, who had a tough opening night after his pass put Eller in harm’s way, was steadier, and rookie Jarred Tinordi – who is being helped through Playoffs 101 by Ol’ Professor Francis Bouillon – chipped in with an error-free 15:42.

Having played 25:49 in a losing cause in Game 1, Andrei Markov dialed back to 20:47 and was the better for it. He and Subban continued to be spared duty on the PK, which is wise deployment by D coach Jean-Jacques Daigneault.

With Eller out, Alex Galchenyuk moved to centre. He got an assist on Brendan Gallagher’s game-winning goal, and Galchenyuk played a responsible defensive game – not easy for a rookie who has played on the wing all season – and flashed some of the spectacular offensive-zone moves that are going to make him a special player in blue-blanc-rouge.

And Michael Ryder buried his only shot on goal.

The Senators were lousy on Friday night. But they had accomplished what they set out to do by winning the series opener on Thursday, thus ensuring they will take the series if they win at Scotiabank Place.

There is speculation Jason Spezza will be back for the potentially pivotal game 3 on Sunday.

The Ottawa centre has been out so long MacLean may have forgotten Spezza’s number.

Goo goo g’joob

1. Bill says:

Also Go Rangers! Be useful and rid the second round of the Caps for us.

• donmarco says:

I’m on the fence on this one. I would not at all be upset facing Washington in the next round (assuming we make it), as opposed to Boston or Toronto who would have the play the Pens. To me the road always ends in Pittsburgh and the longer we can play without facing them, the more ground down they will be when we do. Just a thought.

2. 306Hab says:

I was unable to watch the game last night. Was curious what the scrum at the end was about? I saw White going after Latendresse. Did something happen earlier? or is White just setting the tone for the rest of the series?

• christophor says:

Since Tenderness pushed Tinordi into Price, he got a good deal of attention, some from Price too, but mostly from White. Good on White.

Apparently it’s not a penalty to shove a player into his goalie 30 ft away from the puck. It’s also OK to let play continue for half a minute while the goalie is laying on the ice.

3. Bill says:

I guess one of us should say that Gorges had a better game last night.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

He and Diaz fought hard but Plekanec and Halpren were dominant on the PK last night.

• Loonie says:

I thought Gorges was excellent in game one as well Bill. I’m probably his biggest critic but he broke up nearly a half dozen scoring chances and potential odd man rushes in game one.

4. Bill says:

@propwash: I was not ragging Gionta, more like questioning his character, drive, interest, pain tolerance, leadership, and general worth as a human being. But I did add that I am aware I am not being rational. Thanks for the update!

Well time to head to sports bar and watch the game all the while asking every Leaf fan if they know who won Habs game last night. ;-)

Just kidding I would never be like that to Leaf fans…..

6. jols101 says:

Great off day for hockey. Even though our Habs are getting some well deserved rest, there is a full sked of hockey today.

!0:00 am Canada wins first game against Denmark.
    12:30 Caps/Rangers battle it out.
    7:00 Bruins and the Laffs beating the crap out of each other.

Nothing compares to Habs Game Day, but this isn’t too bad.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Right but a saturday during the season without a Habs game just feels wrong. Games on sundays are also not that great when you´re living in Europe like me.

• jols101 says:

I agree, there is nothing like a Saturday night Habs game. Especially a playoff game. It is a tradition. I’m not sure why Montreal’s playoff schedule is so bizarre this year.

7. donmarco says:

NBC starts their pregame show with highlights from the 2 games last night. Note – Morons, there were 4 games. Not a single mention of Ottawa/Habs.

8. Propwash says:

@ Bill, I saw you were ragging on Gionta before. The scuttlebutt is he injured his bicep again, hopefully it isn’t too bad.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

9. Bill says:

Watching some highlights, loved the shift where White levelled #53 and then proceeded to hit Kassian into the boards. This kid is all heart and we need him.

• Dr.Rex says:

He was fantastic.

After a hit he is very alert and quick to get back into the play.

• ProHabs says:

Do the Sens even have a #53. I think it was #3 (Methot) that White levelled on that shift.
      Be careful Bill, you are starting to sound like Bob Cole. In game #1 he said that Francis Bouillon was in the penalty box when in reality it was Sergei Gonchar.

10. habs_54321 says:

so did price lose a tooth or was it just chipped?

11. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

With respect to the rookie of the year talk below: If Suter gets the Norris trophy then you can’t give the Calder to his defense partner. Brodin has played well but he has played with one of the best D-men in the league. Gallagher played with a center who is even shorter than him…

12. immortalhab says:

If Ryder stood by the net and let pucks bounce off his touche and in, his play would be no different than now. He is a net sweeper and I wish he had other skills.

13. Dr.Rex says:

Thoughts:
    1) Fantastic effort last night. IF they play like that every night there wont be many defeats.
    2) White was brilliant. BY that I mean he played his role to perfection.
    3) Everything P J Stock said at 1st intermission once again proved to be wrong. Ex: Habs tough guys taken out of game by not starting, Plekanec not playing well, Not big enough to use their physicality. When will it stop CBC?
    4) Price haters and Price doubters (like myself) need to give themselves a slap on the back of the head. OUCH
    5) Bourque has played his best two games as a Montreal Canadien this series. Fun to watch for sure.

14. Danno says:

My Playoff Beard

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

15. Bill says:

@jedi: the bandwagon has a lot of jumpers, on and off, from year to year, month to month, game to game, period to period, even shift to shift. HIO has always been bipolar. You have to laugh!

16. Haberoooo13 says:

Not that it means he played great, but nice to hear that Kristo had 2 assists this morning at the WHC.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

17. Maritime Ron says:

A beaut

Renaud Lavoie @RenLavoieRDS
    Ryan White on Gryba suspension: “we are excited to see that he’ll be back in 2 games. He’s got #62 I think.”

18. Polar Bear says:

Where are the Price haters today? You guys need to get an attitude check, get on board with your team – every player and cheer them on. We don’t need haters and sour grapes here. If Kaberle suits up I’ll be cheering him on as we’ll.

19. Strummer says:

To the woman sitting behind Therrien in the white CH t-shirt-
    I approve!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

20. Sportfan says:

I really hope Hab fans take over their building, I know I’ve said that a lot but it would be hilarious!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

21. bwoar says:

Feel better today, monkeyfighters? Good. Sure saw a much more determined effort last night. What can you say about Bourque? He stepped it up in a big way. Nice to see all the good moods here, keep it up.

‘cept you, Bill. I like Angry Playoff Bill better, myself.

“thoroughbred”

22. Sportfan says:

Was a great game last night! Was really happy with the way White played and honestly I think the Gally-Prust-Chuckie line and the Bourque,Ryder,Plek line should be left alone even if patches and gio come back.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

23. jeffhabfan says:

I think THE Habs will win in 6 games. They just need to play there game because they have outplayed them the first 2 games.

24. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I guess that poor guy who looks like the fat walrus and sometimes sits behind the Ottawa bench is not going to buy a Prust jersey now.

25. krob1000 says:

over under for Galcehnyuk points next year? I would say 60 is a real possibility…he could hit the sophomore jinx but he could also go point a game once he sees consistent first unit pp time….he is scary good.

26. frontenac1 says:

Anybody else see Whitey stick his tongue out at Neil and Kassian last night? Classic! And at the end of the game when he was having a chat with La La?I thought La La was going to Poo Poo his pants. Habs in 6.

27. Danno says:

Does anyone have a link to the opening intro video for the Habs playoffs which they showed on the big screen on game one?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

28. Bill says:

The TOI from last night is really interesting. Dumont only played six shifts, less than four minutes. And Gallagher played a low 12:09, hmm. Ryan White played less than 11:00 which is weird because it seemed like he was always out there doing something!

Chucky played over 15:00, nice to see! And Prust played 18:22, which was the second most of any Habs forward after (obviously) Plekanec’s 22:15.

Forwards who had less ice-time than Armstrong: Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Ryder, Desharnais, Halpern, Bourque, and Dumont.

Forwards who had more ice-time than Armstrong: Plekanec, Prust, Moen.
    Full Breezer 4 Life

29. commandant says:

PK Subban is proving to be the best player on the ice in this series.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

30. von says:

What happened with the Habs goal song?

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

31. savethepuck says:

Matt Duchesne just scored a beauty at the WHC. Canada tied with Denmark 1-1.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

32. frontenac1 says:

@wjc. “IF” is a big word amigo. Remember,”IF”The Queen had them,She would be King.Saludos!

Morning everyone, what a game last night. Price, White and many others really took their games up a notch! LOVED IT!

Hey does anyone have a link to the video of MB running to see Eller? I missed it and can’t find it.

34. Caesar says:

I heard Crawford say Schultz should win the calder. Not even in my top 5. I don’t think I’m looking through rose coloured glasses when I see the Gallys as 2 of the top picks. Gallagher has 2 playoff goals. 2 in 2 games Chucky does not look lost at all. 5 on 5 these 2 ruled the rookie race this year. If you had to vote for one though who would it be? My pick is Gallagher the little ball of great. Always seems to step up at the right time. He should win the calder based on his ability to get right back up alone.

• ffenliv says:

I think Gallagher will win it. I don’t think Galchenyuk is in the conversation.

Now, being a fan, I have to knock 10 or 15% off of my expectations for Habs-coloured glasses. Do I think that Gallagher is 15% better than any other rookie? No, I don’t.

With that in mind, I think it could go to any of 3 or 4 rookies.

• Maritime Ron says:

Gallagher has my vote.
        The 2nd would be 19 year old Dman from Minny Jonas Brodin.
        Averaging 29:08 and playing 2nd Unit PP and PK on a playoff team-not Edmonton or Florida
        Not many 19 year old rookie Dmen can do that

• Bill says:

Not many, but it doesn’t hurt to be partnered with the guy he’s partnered with either. Brodin is a player but it’s not clear at this point how much he’s being carried.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• neumann103 says:

I had a longer reply but phone ate it.

Short version is that Brodin’s advanced stats are better than Suter’s.

Huberdeau will win Calder. Gallagher probably should but at least he will be top 3.

• jedimyrmidon says:

What annoys me is when members of the media say that Ryan Suter should win the Norris, and then also say that Brodin should win the Calder.

How can you give two awards to the two members of one pairing?! If they truly deserved both then they should be absolutely dominant, and yet they aren’t even with Minny’s top heavy roster (Koivu, Heatley, Parise, Pominville, Setoguchi).

• jedimyrmidon says:

I think Gallagher should win it.

The team was good this year, and Gallagher was a tangible part of it. He not only produced points-wise, but he scored timely goals, and plays in a manner that is worthy of recognition.

Whether it’s being said by a Habs fan or not, I think Gallagher deserves the nod over Huberdeau who was given large responsibilities, yes, but also brought his team nowhere, meaning that all he got were the points.

• Bill says:

I believe I heard Friedman last night mentioning that Chucky led all rookies in even-strength points. And we all know his ice time was low and carefully managed. I think that is a very telling statistic.

Gallagher should be rookie of the year for his impact on his team. Huberdeau and Yakupov and Schultz were all great, but they didn’t lift their team like Gallagher did and does.

So Gallagher gets my vote, but Chucky is the more talented of the two and will be the better player down the road.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Caesar says:

I agree Chucky will be the better player and he will accumulate more points. In a 82 games schedule Gally would be 25-30 goals this year and Chucky 40-50 points. In 2 -3 years I think we will all be pulled out of our seats every single night by one of them or both.

• savethepuck says:

Agreed Bill. Gally is my pick for Calder this year too but I think within 2 to 3 years, everyone here will be drooling over Chucky.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Curtis O Habs says:

Elliot seems to be the only voice of reason on that panel, almost chuckling at the others thoughts.

• omgblamebriesbois says:

Best thing about the two is they seem to rub off on each other. He certainly doesn’t play as hard as Gallagher (I’m not sure anyone does) but Galchenyuk is playing with more and more jam every shift. I would guess playing with Gallagher has alot to do with that.

35. Rocket Riot says:

Call a spade a spade regardless of who it is – whether they played good or bad – and that goes for the goaltender too!

You don’t get 6.5M/year as an average player so you need to live up to those expectations on a regular basis to earn respect for that value.

I’m sure that everyone who bashes Price when he lets in a softy
    wants and expects him to play at the level he is capable of. His GAA this year speaks for itself as to why you see people losing patience.

Price often appears to be too laid back and slow to react (I know that’s his style and character) but elevated his game after losing his teeth because it ignited a fire in his belly and that’s precisely what he needs to excel and play at the level expected from him.

The very same applies to everyone else on the team.

If they can keep the fire burning from what we saw last night in Price, White, Subban, Tinordi, Prust, Gally, Chucky, Bourque, Dumont and even Moen, we will win this series without Larry, Pacs and Gionta.

• Phil C says:

No problem criticizing Price, its the character assassination and calls for trades that are ridiculous.

The posts suggesting to buy him out don’t bother me as much because they expose how ignorant the posters are.

I thought Carey battled the entire game. Losing the teeth didn’t wake him up, it just illustrated how determined he was last night.

• I see, so if one of your best players on the team goes into a slump, we fans are allowed to turn on him in an instant and forget all the good things that he’s done for the team.

But when that player comes back to the form that he was originally at, fans then can change their mind and all the nasty horrible things that were said to that player are forgotten?

NO NO, you and many others ay fee that way, but we fans who never turn on the team when they are down will never forget you’re type.

The type who can’t battle through with the team when they are down.

Support 100% until there is no support to give!

I don’t kick a man when he’s down, I help him up!

I had to choose between Carey Price and You in goal, guess who wins?

Remember this. When the Canadiens win a Stanley Cup in the future and they say this is for those who supported us thought the good times and the bad, will you be able to stand there and say to yourself they/he’s talking about me!

But hey what do I know, I’m just calling a spade a spade.

EDIT: it was wrong of me to trash you like that, you cheer any way you want and have fun doing it. Go Habs Go

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• jedimyrmidon says:

As fans, yes we’re cheering on a bunch of people who get paid… a lot… for what they do, but, once we’ve decided to be fans, then I would hope we aren’t bandwagon fans.

Actually, even worse than bandwagon fans who disappear during the tough times and stop cheering for the team are the bandwagon fans that jump off, stop cheering, and remain beside the wagon to trash the team and its players (especially Price).

36. thebonscott says:

if it takes Carey losing 2 teeth to make him wake up and play like he can, then so be it. he has 30 left, at 2 teeth per win= 15 more wins.
    Keep pounding the teeth out of him, an plan the parade route.

There’s bad luck, and then there’s Carey Price luck.

• ffenliv says:

You’re assuming he has all of his teeth. He’s a fan of the rodeo, and so it’s not, you know, out of the realm of possibility that he’s lost a tooth or two doing that.

Hate to think they could come up one win short because Carey fell off a horse!

37. immortalhab says:

In spite of all that can go wrong, it’s hard not to believe in Therrien. I think he makes careful decisions and knows how to tweak every players talent and create the right line combinations. He is the absolute opposite of what Martin was. I think he knows how to motivate too. On paper, the CH is actually not impressive at all yet they’ve had a stellar season. Even if they can’t win the cup, they have every reason to look fondly on this year.

• JUST ME says:

I really am impressed with coach Therrien . When he was named i thought it was an O.K. choice not bad not great but honestly i have not seen a habs coach like him doing everything right since coach Bowman who was in a different era and a different kind of coach.

Even before the game yesterday Therrien acted as an old fox puting all the spotlight on him with the Mc Lean /Diaz thing …

Coach of the year in my book if you take into acount every decision and every situation he had to face this season.

• Mr. Biter says:

I was just happy it was not Roy, but did have reservations about MT. Obviously MB knows more about hiring coaches then we do as MT has taken us from last to 1st in our division and 2nd overall. Many posters want the Galley’s to get more ice time (I also thought B Gally was on the ice for more minutes as rather he follows the luck or the puck follows him around) and as much as I don’t want to give some credit to Jullien the Hut , he watched Tyler Seygen’s ( bad spelling I know) minutes his 1st year and it worked out for him

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

38. Psycho29 says:

Found this video of when Paul McLean was hired by the Sens…
    Worth a look….

39. Bill says:

Haha, hi twilight. Feeling less rage today happily. Still mad about the Eller hit and so on. Great character win by the team last night, I was happy for them. And missing a whole line of top six players! Wow. They played great hockey.

The guys who subbed in all worked their asses off and not sure that Gionta and Pacioretty could have done any better. Still want them back. Curious to hear the injury updates later.

Last night is how you win as a team. They were a machine.

Sorry about the rage, playoffs get me a little worked up, haha!

• twilighthours says:

Are you upset with gionta? I couldn’t tell where you were coming from last night.

• Bill says:

I AM upset with him. He’s the captain and he needs to be in the line-up.

Now, obviously I am not being rational, but that should be clear. If I say something crazy, it is because I am talking crazy.

I just don’t get how he plays and finishes game one but can’t suit up for game 2. Like anyone else I have no idea what his injury is, but it better be something bad. It’s the playoffs … you should be out there unless you need a walker to get around.

A rational person would say, “well obviously his injury is serious or he WOULD be playing, duh …” but again I am not being rational.

EDIT: I am never rational during the playoffs. In the regular season you can be calm and philosophical but this is different!

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mr. Biter says:

Bill, not to argue with you, but if you know your only going to be able to give 25 or 35% (more or less doesn’t matter) and feel your play might hurt the team, better to rest yourself or who know’s if the training staff did not make him sit.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

40. HFX-HabFan says:

I think the image from last night that somehow stands out the most in my mind was a shot of our bench late in the game. Bourque had just returned from being stitched up after getting his bell rung (railroaded by Armstrong of all people). Prust was beside him, chatting and patting the back of Bourque’s head, the two teammates (Prust of course sporting his own wounds, most noticeable being the black eye) united in their grit and determination.

And I realized: we have a team of warriors. Sure, some of them play soft at times, but overall this is a team of character and determination. Diaz bounced back. Price bounced back, underlined by his ridiculous saves on the PK, and of course the calm dispatching of his teeth. White bounced back and sparked the crowd. Moen played tough. Pleks was a hero all night. Tinordi stood up for his teammates.

We have a team of warriors, folks. Every man in that room has each other’s back, and when one (or more) of them goes down with an injury, they only strengthen their resolve, individually and collectively. After a game like last night, you get the feeling that the only thing that could really stop this team is a hot goaltender, or a rash of injuries.

• FANHABULOUS says:

It’s funny, I saw the same clip of Prust and Bourque and thought the same thing… how close these guys are, and how hard they can play for each other.

Ryan White… what a night! That hit of his late in the game made me jump up and punch the air, like we’d scored a goal!

____________________________________
      “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• neumann103 says:

It is an example of the many things that I expected when the Habs signed Prust.

I am not believer in the Prust as MVP meme but was delighted to “overpay for a 4th liner” because I thought that that attitude massively misunderstood what Prust is. Apart from believing that they really intended Prust to be a 3rd liner plus a second wave PK guy, the intangibles that he brings are hard to find, and the logic of spending an extra $500K or so on Prust instead of carrying an extra NHL minimum face-puncher is inescapable.

In a moment like that with Bourque (who was playing a hell of a game prior to the collision) on the bench, it is hard not to see Brandon Prust as a guy who would put the entire team on his back.

Got to say I loved seeing him wear the “A”.

“Et le but!”

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

One of my favourite things about the seventies teams was when they’d pan along the bench. With Savard, Lapointe, etc, we had one of the ugliest collections of defencemen the world has ever seen. But they were the spectacular ugly brothers – there was a dynamic like the one you saw with Prust and Bourque.
        I get mad at the breakdowns, but over-all, this season made me like the team as much as I like the sweater they wear. It’s been a while…

41. D Mex says:

Paul Maclean is an interesting study.
    Last night, it appeared he was somewhere between snickering and not having a clue about what was happening on the ice.
    To his credit, tho, his pet walrus was kept muzzled.

He’s the coach Ottawa just had to have – sure seems to have motivated the Habs
    LOL :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

42. Led says:

Very impressed with their effort in both games. Price was excellent and kept the game at 2-1 until we could add another. Prust, White and Bourque top my list of other players who deserve credit for their gritty efforts.

43. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

So… how good can it make you feel when your favourite hockey team has a game like it did last night? Well, as it turns out… pretty darned good! Have a great day everybody!

44. twilighthours says:

Bill, how you feeling today, bro? You still a rage-aholic?

45. jeffhabfan says:

Great win Last night Boys. There was alot to love about the win. And yes I love P.K. he has looked great in the first 2 games and is my FAV ON THE Habs .Carey price that is more like it.GO HABS GO.

46. ebk says:

Habs played another strong game last night. Ottawa can’t skate with them. Therrien has some tough decision when Gionta and Pacioretty are ready to go. The pluggers on the 3rd and 4th lines picked up the slack with those two out. Dumont sits but after that, it’s a tough choice.

Price bounced back with a huge game, he matched Anderson’s level of play and if that happens for the rest of the series, it will be a short one.

Karlsson is a very good player but after two games, it appears that PK is the standard by which NHL defensemen will be judged going forward.

47. Mavid says:

they are crying about how we beat up there poor Norris Trophy winning Karllson boo hooo..it just amazes me how stupid some of the comments are..one guy actually said ” if Montreal had not scored that goal it would be 1-1 tied” WTF??? He is referring to the goal where whitey undressed the Norris Trophy winning Karllson and scored on their Vezna leading Goaltender.. idiot..if Ottawa had not scored their goal it would be 3-0 for Montreal..must have been dropped on his head I guess..

48. GGtheHab says:

Well that was a great example of how to play when you really want to win. I think to a man they were trying to win one for Lars..the Elle train..Borque played his best game as a hab..hope his (C word) problem didnt get re ignited..price responded with a great bounce back game..what can you say about PK? his rushes are a treat to watch and he hasn’t been sacrificing D or positioning to make them..markov showed his compete level flattening greening in front of the net..Chucky and galley showed they are playoff ready..they are going to be special for years to come..its not like we were soundly thrashed Thursday, should have won in fact..but last night was total domination..it would have been a shame if Ott had tied it in the 2nd when the zebras seemed intent on handing it to them..alfie is looking his age..anderson proved to be human..and heading into ott where there will be a hab friendly fan base gives me hope that I will be enjoying a victory celebration on my birthday tomorrow..GO HABS GO!!

49. gmur says:

In a frustrated post after game one, I said that White and Moen had to play with more grit and Price had to outplay Anderson or this would be 4 and out. Glad to see White playing playoff hockey. Moen? Who knows… he can’t seem to tap into his aggressive side; maybe it’s a faulty valve in a broken tap…

Price? Well, in game 2, there is one goal Anderson would like to see again. Whichever goalie lets in softies can expect his team to lose in this series. Price played the way he has to for the team to win.

It really irritates me, however, that #62 of the Sens can take out a top player with a vicious head hunting hit and get two games. (watch the replay from behind Eller… his head receives almost all the impact) Eller is gone for the season… unless the Habs make the finals. You don’t break bones throughout your face, suffer a bad concussion and play within a month. I’ve heard some argue that he suffered the the most serious facial injuries when his face hit the ice, somehow absolving #62 of responsibility for the more devastating injuries. Well, if he wasn’t knocked out when #62′s hard plastic shoulder pad hit his head, he would have been able to protect himself. Hopefully when he returns he will be able to pick up where he left off.

Loved Therrien’s stare at Maclean at the end of the game as the coaches were leaving the benches. It was both an invitation and a clear message. The last shift, when Senator players were being cross-checked and mauled etc was the beginning of payback for the asinine comments Maclean made after game 1 and the hit on Eller. Now, when #62 comes back for game 4, knowing Therrien, another very clear, well-timed message will be sent.

• deuce6 says:

Yea, I’m guessing Gryba will have a lot of Prust in his grill, that night..lol

——————
      Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

• Bill says:

Gryba is irrelevant and should be ignored. The only real payback would come from nailing one of their stars, and that is who the target should be.

Though after last night’s game I am not as okay with having White serve a 2 game suspension for it. Dumont is a feisty little guy, and probably quick enough to catch someone with their head down. Maybe he can throw an elbow and take one for the team.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Mr. Biter says:

Espically if we’re up 2-1 in games and have a big lead in the 4th game.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

50. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m probably crazy but maybe the removal of Max and Gionta was a good thing last night. It basically switched the team to a “grinder” mentality which is needed to beat the Senators. Max, for example, was playing too much a perimeter game. He needs to get to the net like Gallagher. The grinders made a huge difference last night.

• Maritime Ron says:

Agreed.
      Posted this a little earlier

7:29 am
      During the regular season, we averaged 22 Hits per game
      In Game 1, we were outhit 31-24…par for the course and year.
      Last night we outhit Ottawa 37-26.
      Really enjoyed Bourque’s big hit on 11 because he doesn’t like getting hit.

Not suggesting anything and I like Max and Gionta, but without them we scored 3 goals, won the game, and had lots of energy….and it was nice to see the guys in the blue paint and if FRONT of the net, and not BEHIND the net.

Get well soon, Lars!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Forgot to mention the hits…thanks. Sorry missed your post…can’t wake up that early on a weekend!

• Phil C says:

That is a interesting observation. With the Sens having trouble scoring goals, the Habs don’t need all the firepower to beat them, but the extra grit on every line kept Sens in line.

51. sg81 says:

Price finally played the way Price is supposed to play. The reality is that when he allows weak goals, it completely deflates the team and everyone plays worse after that. When he plays like last night he gives everyone confidence. That’s hockey… you make a big save at one end and get a big goal at the other. It will be tough to get through Anderson, but the team played amazing last night and the physicality and toughness were the highest I’ve seen on this team in quite a number of years. I get a gut feeling that Price losing his teeth and walking them over so calmly to the trainer will be a turning moment in his career. If he plays like last night we can beat anyone.

52. jols101 says:

Yikes, 1-0 Denmark over Canada. Maybe Team Denmark is playing this one for Lars Eller too.

Got to think it is just a matter of time before Canada breaks this wide open.

53. deuce6 says:

Never seen this team come out and bang and pound like last night..I mean, we had our games that we played good tough hockey, this season, but I think MacLean and the Sens just stirred up the hornet’s nest with the Eller fiasco..

There isn’t anything more dangerous in the game of hockey than a team playing with extreme emotion…This team was on a mission, last night..

I just hope they can keep the emotion going and they keep Eller’s injury as something to rally around…

——————

54. ed says:

I would like to point out the quality of the character of 2 Habs who have bounced back from adversity.

First, Ryan White. Who was literally thrown off the team on this web site not only by posters but by our great leader as well. White is a fantastic addition to this team because he is fearless, and that is a great push back against the goonery and intimidation to which the Habs are susceptible. Nice job White! You had 1 step on a bus back to Hamilton and now you are making it very difficult, I would say impossible, for Therrien to take you out of the lineup.

Second is Diaz. Man, he must have felt terrible after that Eller play. And then for him to be called out as #61, that was a real challenge to his credibility as an NHL player. Good for you Diaz. I am proud you are on this team, and I am proud that you have the balls to step right back in the lineup the next night and play a solid game. I saw you hit a few guys last night as well, which I’m sure was born from your frustration and anger – good job – and keep it going on Sunday.

I have said all year that I believed in this team. I am not someone who is “satisfied” at how great this team has done “compared’ to last year – that is for people who are ready to give up!! If we can win one game in Ottawa, we will take back home ice advantage with 3 to play.

55. Mark C says:

Watching the USA WC game, Kristo fits right in with other NHL players. Watching his skating, skill, creativity, and positioning its hard not to see an NHL player in the not to distant future.

• ed says:

Kristo will be ready to play NHL next fall, Mark. He will take Ryder’s spot in the lineup.

• Mark C says:

I’m beginning to think that as well. I know many here think he’s another undersized player, but he does a nice job of smartly working in and out of the dirty areas and competes very well in the corners. His hands and stick handling allow him to win more 50-50 battles than his size would suggest he wins.

56. habs-hampton says:

I liked Ian’s blurb about sitting down with PK in Junior, but I’m not sure about the captain thing. Why is there such a rush these days to make your best player the captain. Belliveau, both Richards, Cournoyer, etc. all were established veterans, before they were captains. Orr, Howe, Lafleur, etc. were never captains. You don’t need to make your 21-22 year old star the captain. Is Ovie a good captain? No . Alfie? Yes. I think Gorges would be great captain. I don’t think many players are mature enough before they are 25+.

• Ton says:

agreed but I don’t know about Gorgeous! seems phony……to me if there is one player since the start of the series that has acted and played like a captain………………….Borque> and Prust all the way…..I would follow Prust and trust him to lead the way!

• twilighthours says:

Ton, it seems you have some interesting thoughts to offer, but I just can’t read what you post. Gotta fix the spelling and format of your comments, eh?

• Maritime Ron says:

Is Toews a good Captain?
      He was named Captain at 20 years old and 79 days

Crosby was 19 years, 297 days when named Captain
      Vincent Lecavalier 19 years, 324 days.
      Dustin Brown of LA was 23.
      Yzerman was 21 years 5 months when named Captain

Funny, all have Stanley Cup rings

• habs-hampton says:

I said “most” kids aren’t mature enough. I think Toews and Crosby are excellent leaders. Yzerman was a great captain, but I think they could waited a few more years before giving him the “C”. Vinny? I dunno about him.

57. Hobie Hansen says:

Hey Shiram and Punkass – Canada is about to play Denmark on TSN. You might want to turn away because there might be a few body checks by Team Canada in the game!

58. Bradzerker says:

Where are all the doomsday predictions today? Welcome back on the bandwagon everyone. Go Habs Go!!!!

59. Propwash says:

If the team can manage to keep up the intensity they showed last night, the skies the limit for them.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• HabsFanInTampa says:

The Habs kept the intensity in both games. It’s just that Anderson was unbelievable (lucky) in goal with over 50 shots directed at him. And Price let in a soft goal or two the first game.

60. Thomas Le Fan says:

Spezza’s been out so long, McWalrus has forgotten his number? Ba dum pum! LOL

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

61. Moose12 says:

any update on Bourque?
    He didn’t play the last 9 minutes after his collision with Colby

A conversation that I had with PK a few years ago!!

I remember sitting with him in Belleville before he ever stepped onto a pro rink, “except for prospect camp in Brossard”, his last year of Belleville junior hockey.
    He at that time told me that he was going to make the Hab’s roster the next year.

I told him that he needed seasoning as a pro first, before he could play for the Hab’s. But that one day he would own my hometown city of Montreal and be the Canadians captain one day in the future. I do believe that day has come.!!!

I posted to all of you HIO members then, that we were going to be in for a treat in Montreal, once PK came to town. I told you that he was a cross between Bobby Orr and Brad Park and I took a bit of criticism for the comparison.

What do you think of this fine young man and great player now my friends!!

• otter649 says:

I also see him as the future captain & I think The Habs do as well with Michel Therrein saying as much when talking about PK……

- Stanley come home…..

• Ton says:

Sorry but great player but not a captain….not now……..a captain has the respect of his entire peer group and as well from most opposing players……….long way to go in that area. ex. when he hits someone he cannot flex and do the wahoo’s and the yeah yeah’s! same when he fights Morrow…….at this time it would be too much of a distraction for PK to captain any team…….too much of a risk…….maybe one day. Nonetheless his game and personna on the ice is improving from game to game and shift to shift.

• ed says:

Ian,

Subban has the complete game.

The strong defensive zone coverage, the ability to hit hard and make forwards think twice about crossing our blue line, blocking shots, getting in the face of opponents and taking them off their game (like a pest), out skating forecheckers and crossing over with such ease and speed, great vision to make an excellent first pass, fantastic shot,

and of course, last but not the least, he has the DRIVE TO WIN, the “never say it’s over” attitude that you look for in an athlete.

Karlsson gets a lot of praise on this site. Boone loves the guy.

But when you compare Karlsson’s game to the game I just outlined above, it’s easy to see why I have Subban way ahead of Karlsson as an “overall” player.

Karlsson won the Norris because he scored points at a freakish pace, people said. When was the last time d-man put up almost 1 point per game at the NHL level, people asked?

Well, Subban was scoring at the same pace this season, as many of his supporters had predicted he would during his contract dispute.

And Subban brings the WHOLE PACKAGE, not just the offensive threat that Karlsson brings.

• Danno says:

76 > 65

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• PatMac says:

PK is a fine young man and exceptional hockey player. He is a leader on this team and will be for years to come.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I think so highly of PK. He is my fave player since Lafleur, and he was my fave since Beliveau.

• theox_8 says:

Excellent post, ever since we drafted him I had been extremely excited about him, and living in the yukon and going to school in Alberta you don’t see much love for the Habs and especially Pk. Special player for sure!

• twilighthours says:

Best player who is not a goaltender the habs have had since…. A long time. Maybe since lafleur.

• Chris says:

I don’t actually see Subban as a captain. He is a bit too high-strung and emotional for that role, and there are other players on the roster that are better captain material than Subban.

Like Guy Lafleur, Subban can be the best player on the team without having to burden him with a captaincy.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree but a letter and a sit down explainin why not if he looks as if he is upset about not gettingthe C. Essentially I am saying I think captaincy wont suit him, too many politically correct issues needed in Mtl, but we should also make sure he doesnt see it as a sllight.

Don’t follow the JM/Camallieri playbook.

63. Lafleurguy says:

Checking out and will leave you with some funny corn: “May the Fourth Be with You.”*

“May you live in interesting times.”
    *plagiarized

64. RetroMikey says:

Yes my HIO posters here……. physical, gritty players are needed on this team to be successful in today’s NHL and throughout the playoffs.
    The days of moulding a team of speed and skill is a thing of the past for the Habs.
    I’ll take 24 Ryan White’s on this team than a fragileteam of speed and skill.
    Great win, I am hoping this team plays this style throughout this series.
    Guess if I would have to pick a captain next year who stands by his team is Brandon Prust.
    C ya Gionta!
    Keep it up boys!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Ton says:

wrong you still need speed and skill………..maybe with size and limited smaller players with heart. you need them to get into tight spaces………its a mix and you need to pick the best of all types

• Habfan17 says:

Sorry, when you look at the past successful Habs teams, they had a balanced blend of skill, speed, sandpaper, and toughness. You need it all to win. Mostly you need everyone on the team to understand what they have to sacrifice to win and to be willing to do whatever it takes, a blocked shot, getting to the puck first knowing you will get hit, stand in front of the net, and to play for each other regardless of whether or not you like some of your teammates!

Habfan17

• wjc says:

Speed and skill are frowned upon……????

wjc

• deuce6 says:

Geez, imagine 5 Ryan White’s on the PP? LOL

——————

• twilighthours says:

There are a lot of ways to win a hockey game or playoff series, mikey. You know this.

65. WindsorHab-10 says:

How disgusted was I yesterday listening to nhl radio? They ripped the medical staff @ the Bell Center for acting too dramatic regarding the Eller hit. Wish I had the link, but I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. The segment was called “powerplay”.

66. Fansincebirth says:

Sens fans are an odd little bunch. I post on FB “best revenge is a win”.
    I get back “oh so you think you will win the cup now?” with?

Didn’t see much of the game last night as we had a date night planned prior to the playoffs. I was worried before the games because of our missing players and the emotions involved but was hopeful for a W. I couldn’t have been more wrong. From opening face off to final whistle it was a great performance by all. Tuned in to watch the highlights on Sportsnet and all they were saying was what Sens did wrong etc instead of the performance turned by our team…just more pathetic reporting by an Ontario based station…makes me laugh.

On to Ottawa boys and give me something to smile about Monday morning at work in front of all the Sens fans!

67. munch17 says:

Thought the Habs showed tremendous heart last night.
    And certainly did not benefit from any home town referees – hopefully the trend will continue in Ottawa.
    Thought Latendresse clearly relieved Prust of his stick which directly led to Sens goal.

68. sheds88 says:

if an an outsider were looking into habs-land thursday and friday night, we would have lived up to our stereotype.
    Thursday night : Trade Price, he’s garbage, over paid bum
    Friday night : in the name of the father, the son, and the holy price, AMEN !

We are silly sometimes, aren’t we.

69. SlovakHab says:

Besides Danny Kristo (USA, 0+2 in the first game against Austria), another Habs prospect plays at the World Championships: Tim Bozon.

He had an assist in his first game as France lost to Slovakia 2-6

70. deuce6 says:

Yakupov or Huberdeau may win the Calder trophy on their point totals alone, but we all know who the 2 best rookies have been this year…The cream rises to the top when it matters the most..The two rooks on our team are playing like grizzled vets..

I would put them 2 up against any other 2 rookies, this season..Its a shame that awards are simply based on point totals alone..

“The Calder Trophy is awarded to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League.”

It doesn’t say the most points..

——————

• SlovakHab says:

Could also be Jonas Brodin of Minnesota, who has been on their 1st pairing.

• Habfan17 says:

Then the people who vote should be changed. Those players were taken first and third overall, they were expected to be elite players. Gallagher was taken 147 overall in the 5th round, That should count for something. As for Galchenyuk, he was taken 3rd overall, but when you compare his stats to Yakupov, 31 pts, -4 average time on ice 14.33 mins. Galchenyuk, 27 points, +14 average time 12.19 mins. I would say that should put him ahead. Huberdeau had 31 points was -15 with just under 17 mins average time on the ice. Gallagher, with 28 points +10 with an average time of just under 14 minutes, drafted where he was, is my pick,

Habfan17

71. Caesar says:

Mind games that’s all. Maclean is a coach of the year candidate that no one ever talks about because he’s in a nothing market. He used the media to take the spotlight away from the players and put it on himself. Dr. Recci did the exact same thing. Best revenge is win. Diaz needs to score and skate slowly by the ottawa bench so they see the back of his shirt.

Also I agree with Ian there are no more rookies on this team. The 2 Gallys are the best thing to happen to the habs since they signed Prust!! Go Habs!!!

72. Skeptical - 25 says:

Don’t get too excited. There’s still 5-games left. The Happy reports may drop some what before it’s over. Hope that’s not the case. Enjoy the moment for now. Habs has played two very good games.

Goal Tending will be the deciding factor in this series.

73. JF says:

Sports talk is riddled with cliches, but “character win” is a good description of the Habs’ performance last night. Character, guts, heart – missing the equivalent of a top line, our guys showed them all. I thought the role players – White, Halpern, Moen, Prust, Armstrong – did an excellent job. They were physical, in-your-face, they didn’t back down, they battled along the boards, they created chances. Ryan White had by far his best game as a Hab. Maybe the tough lessons he was served earlier in the season have taught him how to play on the edge without going over it. And I loved the hustle he showed in staying with Karlsson and intercepting his soft pass.

“Adversity” is another sports cliche. A team shows its character in how it responds to adversity. Carey Price responded to the adversity of getting a couple of teeth knocked out by playing what was perhaps his best game of the season. A series of dazzling saves late in the second period followed by Ryder’s goal put the Habs up by two going into the third – a much easier lead to defend than just one. Price is often criticized for his “nonchalant” demeanour, but the only nonchalance he showed last night was in skating to the bench and casually dropping his teeth into the hand of the equipment guy. I thought he played more aggressively than usual, his lateral movement was more controlled, and he handled the puck well. He was heavily criticized after Game one, and all the old doubts about his ability to be “clutch” and make the big save when it really counted resurfaced. Last night he banished those doubts – for now – with a great bounce-back performance. If has finally pulled out of the slump he was mired in for a couple of weeks, we have a good chance to win this series – something I couldn’t see happening yesterday.

Anderson looked beatable last night. All our goals were scored from close in, and in general we had more of what Therrien calls “net presence” than in Game one. That’s how we have to play, and I hope the guys remember it for next game. Back-to-back playoff games are emotionally exhausting, so I’m as glad as the players to have a respite today!

74. habstrinifan says:

OK! So I am gonna post this and run for cover..well actually run outside to do yardwork. It was triggered by a post from game 1.

HNIC has its flaws. And COLE makes a lot of mistakes due to his age. But, as a habs fan, and as a hockey fan, I think he makes some fantastic calls which will go down in history as representing some of the best moments in HABS history. Cole loves hockey. Revels in EVERY hit and EVERY great play. And no one honours the legend of Les Habitants in their play by play more than Cole.

Two absolutely great calls which all HABS fan should cherish.

“And now 24 banners will hang from the rafters of the famous forum in Montreal”… exact wording may be different .. but that’s the thing with a great call.. you dont have to remember it word for word.

And remember the “What is going on in the state of Pennsyslvania” call.

• deuce6 says:

He gets lost at times, but he has a great voice…I would rather listen to a game by Cole than 95% of the crap they have on Center Ice..The commentating on those American feeds are emotionless..

——————

• Old Bald Bird says:

One must learn to ignore the shortcomings and go with the flow.

• ClutchNGrab says:

Every time I listen to cole, there is a part of me that realize that I’m witnessing history. He’s respect for the game, his jobs and the people listening at home is on a level of its own.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I agree.

I don’t usually listen to HNIC but what Cole does really well is capture the emotion of the game. And really why else do you need a commentator? You can see what’s happening.

His voice is like a really good movie soundtrack.

• Bradzerker says:

Ohhhh Babyyyy!

• Clay says:

I’ve always been a fan…

__________________________
      ☞ “And yet not choice but habit rules the unreflecting herd.” ~ William Wordsworth ☜

• D Man says:

I think there is less B.S. meaningless chatter when Cole and his team are broadcasting. He has a great hockey voice. He also provides (as Timo says), a great opportunity for a drinking game.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan