About last night …

554734_10151544927016738_580247123_n

Who would you rather see at the Bell Centre Tuesday night, Senators or Leafs?
Those are the possibilities, pending Ottawa’s game in Boston on Sunday evening.
After watching the Canadiens easy win on Saturday night, does it really matter?
“On est prêt pour les séries,” Michel Therrien said in his postgame media scrum. “N’inquiétez pas.”
For the benefit of unilingual Canadians – who were doomed to watch Saturday night’s game on Leaf-loving Hockey Night in Canada – the coach said:
“We’re ready for the playoffs. Don’t worry.”
Hit it, Bobby McFerrin.
The last game of the regular season gave Canadiens’ fans ample reason to stop worrying and be very happy.

Anything that brings sorrow to the set of Hockey Night in Canada is cause for celebration, of course.

But the 4-1 dismantling of the Leafs was emphatic. And if the game was a harbinger of the first-round playoff series they’re praying for at HNIC, the Canadiens and their fans can look forward to Tuesday night with some cautious optimism.

Let’s review the happy points:

• James Reimer, who will face Carey Price in a Canadiens-Leafs series, was beaten fur times on 23 shots and watched the last 17 minutes of the game from the Toronto bench.

• Playing in their own barn, the Leafs were held to ONE SHOT in the second period. And seven over the game’s first 40 minutes.

• The Canadiens’ recently inept penalty-killers went 6-for-7 … and the only goal they allowed was a great shot by Phil Kessel.

• The Canadiens were outhit 45-39, but at least one check was recorded by every player in a white jersey – with the exception of Raphael Diaz, who has other virtues.

• The kid line was spectacular. Lars Eller had a goal and two assists, went 8-5 on faceoffs, played 4:27 on the PK and had six hits to lead the team. Brendan Gallagher had a goal and an assist, Alex Galchenyuk had an assist. The line was plus-8 on the game … and still played less than 10 minutes at even strength.

• Jarred Tinordi played almost 15 minutes (including 5:34 on the PK), had four hits and was plus-2.

• Andrei Markov, who had an assist in Winnipeg, added a goal and an assist against the Leafs and was plus-2 while playing a sensible 19 minutes – including a non-taxing 5:36 on the power-play and only a few seconds shorthanded.

• And Therrien continues to push the right buttons.

The coach started Peter Budaj, moved Rene Bourque to right-wing on the David Desharnais line, reunited Gallagher with Eller and Galchenyuk, managed Brandon Prust’s minutes and saw to it that his team kept its cool after falling behind 1-0.

The jury will be out on the goaltender move until we see how Carey Price plays in the postseason opener. But Therrien protected his number-one guy and gave a 10th start to a backup who has been exemplary – Budaj is 8-1-1 – this season.

Therrien said the Canadiens had played “playoff atmosphere” games in Winnipeg and Toronto and responded well to the pressure on both occasions. The easier schedule in the final week of the regular season also allowed time for some decent practices in which, Therrien said, the Canadiens worked on some basics.

We saw that work reflected in the improved PK – although some of that might have been due to the Leafs’ ineptitude. Who knew Tyler Bozak was such a valuable player?

We also saw it in the swarming puck pursuit and rapid transition that characterized the Canadiens play through the first 40 games of the season.

Gaston Therrien showed an example during his whiteboard segment on L’Antichambre. The sequence begins with Tinordi burying Mikhail Grabovski. Josh Gorges scoops up the dislodged puck, while Eller and Galchenyuk are nearby to begin the breakout that culminated in Eller’s goal.

Terrific team defence, lightning-fast transition – qualities that were missing in action during the Canadiens’ recent suckitude.

For one night, against a team that had beaten them 6-0 and 5-1 this season, your Montreal Canadiens looked like they’re ready for the playoffs.

The defence has been bolstered by the return of Diaz, the promotion of Tinordi, the excellence of P.K. Subban and the possible resuscitation of Markov. If the blueline revival continues, Price will not face the high-percentage shooting gallery in which he struggled during the Canadiens’ slump.

Michael Ryder had a rough night in Toronto. He took a bad penalty and was demoted to the fourth line, with Brandon Prust joining Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta.

But Ryder has 20 career playoff goals. I think he’ll bounce back on Tuesday.

The Canadiens will open the playoffs with a lineup that includes three rookies: Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Tinordi.

Can anyone remember this happening in the long and glorious history of hockey’s most successful franchise?

The young core of the team suggests an imminent return to glory.

Starting next week?

•  •  •

The Canadiens had eight players with 10 or more goals this season, tying Pittsburgh for the league lead … Alex Galchenyuk topped the team’s +/- at plus-14. His pal Brendan Gallagher was plus-10. Brandon Prust was plus-11, P.K. plus-12 … The Canadiens won more games on the road (15) than they did at home (14) … Andrei Markov, Josh Gorges, Brian Gionta, Francis Bouillon and Galchenyuk played all 48 games … Peter Budaj had more wins than Jaro Halak this season.

•  •  •

733995_10152710744795391_1316110546_n

1,099 Comments

1. Alex_425 says:

How many times this season have the Sens w/ Karlsson faced the Bruins?

But I’m no expert….

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…boogers taste good, and are good for You, says a biochemistry professor at the University of Saskatchewan

…My Mama trained Me emphatically from an early age not to eat My boogers …now I find what a healthy feast I have been throwing away these so many years

…I wake up each mornin’ and learn somethin’

…ain’t Life a hoot, or what ?

…obviously da Booins n da Weeds have known about this for quite some time :)

3. Bill says:

Here’s a male/female dressing room story.

When I was a kid, my dad heard that Wayne Gretzky had taken figure skating to improve his speed and mobility. So naturally, Dad signs me up. I got pretty good at it and wound up competing at a high level, long after it became obvious that I had a terrible slapshot, until I finished high school.

So I used to train year-round, including full days all summer long at national skating seminars and schools. Because there weren’t a lot of guys in skating, we always had to share dressing rooms with the girls. So there’s me, a teenage boy, spending my adolescence in a changing room with all these knock out skating girls who all seemed totally comfortable with the idea. Maybe they thought we were all gay.

You might think that eventually I got used to it and it stopped being a big deal, but that never happened, haha. Lets just say I didn’t mind the arrangement a bit and I have vivid memories that will last a lifetime.

Ladies, I apologize for any sexism in this post.

Wow, never before have I taken this long to scroll through past posts. Today has been quite a day for posts which I might normally say are political in nature and don’t need to be on this site. But I read each and every one and appreciated doing so. I agreed with some more than others, but what I enjoyed the most was the civility of the discussion between people with opposing views.

I won’t say thanks to any specific posters as I most certainly would leave some out, but I really did appreciate reading through those posts.

CHeers to the greatest hockey fans on the planet!

GO HABS GO!

5. Habfan17 says:

Now come the playoffs, Let’s go Habs!!

On a side note, to all those who don’t give Eller his due and say no way when I suggest that Pleks would be a good player to trade this off season. My logic is he would bring a good return and has reached his peak. He does not make other players better.

Eller at 23 played 46 games had 8 goals, 22 assists, 30 points plus 8. Pleks at 23 played 67 games, had 9 goals, 20 assists, 29 points and was plus 4.

Good on the Kid line for stepping it up last night. I would still like to see Patches use the new size and strength more.

Cowradly play of the night, Phaneuf at the end of the game coming up behind White you was already being challenged and cross checking him in the small of the back. Nice way to injure someone you total coward Phaneuf!!

Habfan17

• BJ says:

Don’t forget that Plekanec usually plays against the other teams top lines. Eller for the most part is on a line that plays against the oppositions 3rd line.

• Habfan10912 says:

For whatever reason there is a number of fans ready to trade arguably the teams most valuable forward. I don’t get it. That said, Eller and Galchenyuk will soon be our #1 and #2 centers. Just not yet.

• BJ says:

I’m in agreement with you that Plekanec is extremely valuable to this team. He’s accomplished in so many facets of the game.

• Habfan17 says:

My reasoning is now is when his value is highest and there are other types of players the Habs need more. Other teams leverage this to improve long term and when I look at what Pleks does compared to guys like Selanne and Alfredson, he may be one of the top players in Montreal, but compared to them he is a lesser player.

Habfan17

• neumann103 says:

Plekanec and Eller are my two favourite current Habs so i obviously want to keep em both.

But eller primarily plays against the other teams second line, and is the next one in depth for difficult assignments.

It is the Desharnais line thatt gets matched ahainst third and fourth lines

“Et le but!”

• christophor says:

Eller doesn’t get third line competition: 1st and 2nd. More so the latter but, anyways, three coaches have been comfortable playing him against top competition.

• sweetmad says:

I agree about how good Eller is,but if anyone should go it’s DD,Pleks is still a really good player and will be for many years to come,he has the kind of build and mindset of Lindstrom and Selanne,so there is noway he is on a down ward slide,and he plays the way the coach tells him be it defensive or offensive,we would really miss him if he went.
      GO HABS GO

• Max says:

Plekanec gets dumped on a lot even though he’s the teams best all around forward and a valued veteran presence.The team would be much worse off without him and he was brought up through the hab’s system and I hope he’s here until retirement. He is still only 30 years old let’s not forget and has a good many solid years left.

6. Bill says:

Ottawa not going too hard for the win as Anderson sits. Do they WANT to play the Pens?? This is a meaningful game for them.

7. BJ says:

Here’s a story re. Don Cherry’s opinion about women journalists in dressing rooms. Sometime in the 1980’s I was covering a game at the Forum as a photographer and often times we went into the dressing rooms to shoot a few photos after the game. This particular game was against Toronto and I believe if memory serves me right, it was the first game or certainly one of the first games were a female journalist was allowed,in the dressing room. This night a female journalist was in the Leafs dressing room and Tiger Williams went nuts (no pun intented) when he accused the female journalist of looking at his private parts, he was very loud and agressive towards her. He wanted her out of there and someone from the team management had to cool him down. The female journalist was a bit intimidated but still held her own. All the comments on the blog reminded me of that.

• Habfan17 says:

There is no need for the media to have access to the dressing rooms when players are still changing, Either have a seperate interview room, or wait until the players have changed. Turn it around and have male media in female dressing rooms and they were checking out the naked players. If it were your daughter, would you want that.
      There is a reason they are male and female change rooms, Being a professional reporter does not mean they aren’t above using it as a means to check out naked players.

Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

17, your solution to ban ALL media from the “dressing” room seems like a reasonable approach. Hard to believe the teams would be against this but I’m thinking reporters and their publications/ stations would be, huh?

• BJ says:

There is more and more intimate access than ever before. When you see shows like 24 CH, its like those reality tv shows. Hockey like most sports have grown more and more popular by facilitating access to journalists. This translates into more exposure and basically free advertizing.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, the media gorups may not like it, but if they are really professional and the idea is to speak with the players to get good comments, then have rules that apply to all media regardless of gendre. Meet in a special media room or in the locker after ALL players have changed. Unless they are trying to check out naked players, why would they object?

Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

Great story Bruce and thanks for sharing with us. I’m sure you have many memories from your year’s of work. I’d love to hear more. CHeers bud.

You know Ottawa is going to go all out to avoid Pittsburgh in the 1st round.

I wonder if Boston prefers to play Toronto or the Isles? I figure they too would rather have home ice advantage for two rounds.

Should be a good game tonight with both teams wanting to win more than usual. A good playoff preview to either team’s desire to win.

9. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I don’t care who they play, as long as someone offs the Leafs in the first round. The Habs have to beat a lot of people to get to the final, so let’s see how far they can go.
    Everything we get to see is a snowday for us – most honest fans will admit they did not pick this team to do well this season, and they have pleasantly surprised us. I intend to enjoy these playoffs, be they long or short.

10. kirkiswork says:

Laffs or Sens , doesn’t matter should be able to take either series although I would like the Habs to be the team to knock the Laffs onto the golf course. Having said that I still would like to see the Broons lose tonight.

11. frontenac1 says:

Dion Phaneuf. Leading the League in give aways.Voted The Most Overated Player in the League last year by his peers.And he is a Pussy.The Captain. Leafs are One and Done this year amigos!

• Bripro says:

I’ve noticed that Phaneuf is very good at running small guys with their back turned, who are about to exit the ice. Cheap shot artist.

• Ferguson-22 says:

Hey Bripro: I was just about to add a similar comment. Phaneuf has never met a smaller player he hasn’t tried to injure. Overrated and over-paid for sure!

12. sweetmad says:

Talk about females in a mens dressing room,in the seventies I worked for a wine and spirits company belonging to Courage brewery in the south of England,I was a sales rep,every year the local landlords and pub and club managers played all the sales reps from different breweries football,I was the only women,selling alcolhol at the time,so I said I wanted to play,I was told no unless I shared the mens dressing room,so I said OK.On the day of the game I turned up in a wraparound skirt and a big blouse,they gave me my kit,I just pulled the shorts on under my skirt and the top I pulled down under the neckline slipped my arms from my blouse and slipped then,into the top which was quite large,then took off my blouse,the guys thought they would embarress me but you should have seen them turning away to put on their j straps and cups they were the one’s embarressed not me.I will tell you the other half of the story another time.
    GO HABS GO

13. christophor says:

Rooting for the Sens. Yes, they’re the tougher opponent but home ice for at least two rounds is important if your goal is greater than making it past the first round.

If the Habs can’t beat the Sens, they can’t make it very far.

14. Ton says:

why not much discussion on whom we want to play………….Tor or ott ? I am thinking Toronto! Or better to get home ice for round 2 and play Ottawa. They concern me!

• savethepuck says:

Home ice guaranteed for 1st 2 rounds is more important IMO. If we have faith in the Habs, we shouldn’t be worried about who we play in round 1. I don’t mind avoiding the Pens until the ECF either ( unless one of the other two teams they face eliminate them of course )
      “They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• HammerHab says:

thats assuming we’re a lock to win the 1st round. id rather finish 4th and beat the leafs than finish 2nd and lose to the sens if it were to play out that way…

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Sean Bonjovi says:

A Bruins v. Maple Leafs series would put all the people I don’t want to see in the same place which would make them easier to avoid.

Besides that, I’m not all that impressed with the Senators (why is a long discussion), so I think the Canadiens could get by them without much trouble by playing solid smart hockey which would be a good tune up for the second round. Some other factors are that I’d enjoy watching Boston lose tonight, 2nd seed will be the home team v. the Capitals in round two (and not the road team against the Penguins) and I think the Habs can maybe get a fair shake from the referees if they play Ottawa. Also, If it’s Boston v. Toronto P.J. Stock will almost certainly talk himself out of a job.

• Ron says:

Either talk himself out of a job or depends. Whichever comes first is a toss up. Be fun to see him squirm in his seat from either stupid remarks or a full load in the depends.

15. deuce6 says:

I don’t understand why the media has to be in the rooms immediately after the game is played..Maybe they should give the players some time to shower and get dressed before letting ANYONE in there..

——————
    Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

• 100HABS says:

I agree – they should have an anteroom (antichambre) for reporters and let the guys strip by themselves.

• Ron says:

It has to do with the TV Networks time allotment for paid air time to the different sports leagues. If its an hour after a game finish then they ( TV Network ) won’t still be on site.

16. BJ says:

@Mr.Biter, I’ll take you up on your offer for discussion. Email me with your tel. number. I’ll call you. Tell me what time zone you are in and what might be a good time to call: bruce@ihahockey.com

17. 100HABS says:

Someone said the Habs would start Thursday if they play Ottawa – SOURCE?

I travel this weekend to Florida and will have to make arrangements to see the games, the sooner I know what to expect the sooner I can plan my stay…

• habstrinifan says:

Stubbs tweeted that NHL promise Sens that because of make-up game they wont have to play Tues. If we play them they will play Wed but if they start at home then their rink is booked for a concert on WED…so… I am not clear re all the details but check out Stubbs tweets

• Maritime Ron says:

That was me.
      It’s all about Ottawa playing today + rest period because of the game that should have been played before + building availability.
      Source? Not a chance in the world.

• savethepuck says:

Tweets by Stubbs say it is a possibility. When the Ottawa Boston game was rescheduled the NHL promised Ottawa that they would not start playoffs until Wednesday ( would be their 3rd in 4 nights if Tuesday start). There is a Rihanna concert at the Bell Wednesday that probably can’t be rescheduled, so Thursday may be the first possible start date.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• aharon says:

That’s a false source my good friend, The Habs will pay on Tuesday night at 7:00 pm regardless the team they will face.Cheers and have fun in the sun.

Kovalchuk never gives up

18. sweetmad says:

I had never heard of Don Cherry untill I moved here 10 years ago,the first time i heard him talk I was appalled at what he said about Europeans,then he started on about fighting.To some one like me who is a total pacifist,that was beyod believable.
    I grew up amongst the bombed out buildings of the second world war,food and clothes were still rationed,I lived through the worry of the Cuban crisis,my son had just been born and his father was in the Merchant Marine,who was on his way to join the blockade,I had friends who died in the IRA bombings.My son much to my dismay joined the Royal Navy,he went through the Falklands conflict,then joined the Royal Yacht,while serving on her he went to Yemen,to get non Yemin’s from the beach,he was shot at while carrying a baby in his arms.
    To me anyone who promotes fighting in any way shape or form,is an imbilcile.
    There is only one race on this Earth and that is the human race,no matter where they were born.
    I love Hockey it is such fun to watch until the fighting starts.
    Don Cherry like most human beings is a person of contridictions and could well be a very nice person,but I agree whole heartily,with the poster who said he is not the person I would want my grandchildren to listen to with his archaic views,I hope any parent would point out to the children that his views are not to be relied on.
    Apart from that I just find him and his suits boring,I would like to see some one who wasn’t so full of himself talking about real life coaching,not from the past but for todays game.
    GO HABS GO

• habs1992 says:

well we all have different opinions and i enjoy fighting call me an imbilcile, i enjoy watching a good fight for the right reasons, and the players want to keep it so it must have a part in the game, as the players have the choice to keep it

I support Carey Price

• Loonie says:

Out of curiosity. What are the “right” reasons?

• habs1992 says:

Just my opinion but sometimes i think there are times when you have to fight, and basically stand up for yourself, and i have no problem with that

I support Carey Price

• Loonie says:

You understand that those kinds of fights are in the overwhelming minority in the NHL right?

• sweetmad says:

Who says they want to keep fighting, have they ever been polled on the subject and what was the result,the goons will want to keep fighting otherwise they would be out of a job,but from what I hear most of the ex goons from the NHL,say they wish they had never fought as it did them no good,as we proved last night speed and skill are what takes out the opponent not fighting.Two grown men fighting is not something,children should see.
        GO HABS GO

• habs1992 says:

It is so easy to argue we could go on forever debating this, but Toronto still has beat us 3 times this year, we have beat them twice, also no one forced those guys to fight, no one makes people fight, if you dont like it quit your job, many people work dangerous jobs and they do it knowing the risk,

I support Carey Price

• Loonie says:

While I appreciate your experience and where you’re coming from there are exceptions and this is a subjective subject to a degree.

For example. I have no problems with my children seeing a fight where a bully is stood up to.

To put that into a hockey context. When Mark Fraser decided to pick on David Desharnais last night I would have no problem seeing Jarred Tinordi make a bloody mess of him and would have no problem having a child see that.

Two guys deciding at a faceoff to fight? No. One guy responding to a clean bodycheck by an opponent by fighting him? Absolutely not.

And one of Cherry’s personal favourites. A guy fighting to give himself space on the ice as a player. Completely ludicrous.

• habstrinifan says:

Posts which come from the heart and sincerely reflect personal experience and therefore convictions are usually remarkably poignant. This was one such example. Thanks for sharing so personally.

• Ron says:

Thanks for your thoughts Madeleine, good post.

• The Cat says:

You almost got to look at Cherry like you would a wrestler, he speaks his mind but hes also there to entertain. When people dont give a reaction to Cherry, thats when it’ll be over. But IMO, theres no other hockey analyst on TV who even comes close to Cherry in knowing what it takes to win the Cup. Like last night he basically said if the leafs face the habs in Rd 1, the habs will win.

• habs1992 says:

i agree Don Cherry knows his hockey, and he does know what he is talking about when it comes to that, but sometimes he should just stick to talking hockey

I support Carey Price

• Peter Young says:

Right on, sweetmad. I was born in England during WWII as well and remember the rubble, the bomb pits, the rationing and so on. Fighting in hockey has always seemed silly to me, it bores me to death and it detracts from the game.

19. formerly known as the hc says:

Re: Don Cherry, comments female reporters.

(standing up for Don is not something that I would typically do)

As I listen to the comments, Don’s issue has nothing to with female reporters covering the NHL. Rather, his issue has more to do with female reporters being in the room while the players are not wearing any clothes. I believe that his issue is centred more around what he sees as humility, respect and decency.

I have never set foot in an NHL locker room, so maybe this isn’t even an issue. In my own experiences, I played college football in a smaller market in the late 80’s and early 90’s. We did not have locker rooms like you would see in a Div I school today. We had reporters in our room, male and female. Standing in the middle, as they often would, they had a clear view to the shower over one shoulder, and to the toilet facilities, etc over the other. Interviews often happened in the nude (players, not reporters). Many of us felt uncomfortable (and my knuckles do not drag) with this arrangement.

I think that this is the type of thing that Don was talking about. Maybe he is misinformed in that the buck naked men are in a private area. True, he did not communicate this very effectively. However, I don’t think his values (in this case, and IF I read this correctly) ought to be chastised.

• habs1992 says:

excatley and as human beings we are just naturally sexual creatures, so what do you think of when you see some1 naked, or if some1 is naked and they see a girl over there,

I support Carey Price

• The Cat says:

Chantal macabee of RDS was on Tout Le Monde En Parle and someone asked her that question and she said yeah I see naked players all the time, she even added that Shayne Corson was hung like a champion…They say (reporters)they are professionals but that doesnt sound too professional.

20. The Teacher says:

Poll

Who do you want to win tonight? Boston or Ottawa?

Personally for me it’s Ottawa.

21. The Cat says:

As far as the women in the locker room thing goes. I think I can sum it up by – the guys probably like to show off and the women like to look, and therefore everybody is probably happy with the whole arrangement.

22. ed says:

are men reporters allowed into women dressing rooms right after a game?

serious question.

23. habs1992 says:

I dont care who we play, i just cant wait till Tuesday PLAYOFF HOCKEY

I support Carey Price

24. Loonie says:

Plenty of Don Cherry talk today. Those who dislike him want him to go away and those who don’t agree that he’s controversial but entitled to an opinion.

Well, my opinion is that as long as I’m part of the very large group of taxpaying Canadians who contribute to the CBC, I would prefer that they not employ an openly racist person and provide him a platform to brow beat his bigoted views into the minds of Canadian youth. But Cherry doesn’t just spit in the face of equality in our country, progression in every phase of our lives is what he tries to hold back as exemplified by his laughter at new concussion recovery and diagnosis protocol and his glorifying of fighting.

He is to hockey as creationism is to biology.

But I don’t want Don Cherry gone. Sincerely I don’t. Because when he is gone he will be even more of an icon than he is now. The only thing pertaining to Don Cherry that insults and annoys me more than he himself are the students of his revised game of hockey and life. They revere him and regurgitate his words as if they were Bible scripture.

He is the most short sighted, bigoted and offensive person on television in Canada, and yet he’s made out to be a hero. He isn’t a hero, he isn’t even a decent human being.

• Timo says:

What has Cherry done that is racist, Tom? Not baiting you, just wondering if I missed any kind of racist rant or comment from him.

• Loonie says:

He routinely runs video of European players doing things he doesn’t approve of and references the “Canadian way” as if it’s foreign for a Canadian player to do something he perceives as underhanded or cowardly on the ice.

He popularized the term “Swedish Meatball” in referencing hockey players from Sweden and never used it in a flattering way.

Has he ever said a good word about a Russian hockey player?

Edit: One more that was completely out of line in recent years Timo was a blast he took at the QMJHL for what he called a terrible drug problem among its players. The hypocrisy in this is that he beats his chest whenever he can about having seen Ontario based hockey teams and either doesn’t know or doesn’t care to point out that it’s as much of a problem in Ontario as it is in Quebec, if not more so.

• Timo says:

I don’t know. Perhaps it’s not a racist thing but just a prejudice about non-canadian hockey players. After all he;s been seen slipping a tongue to Kadri – hardly a white anglo-saxon canadian. I, for example, don;t have anything good to say about Mexican hockey players. Does it make me a racist? I like their food, but not hockey players. (player)

Anyway, he is just an old man who is probably representative of many of his generation. No big deal.

25. Stevie.Ray says:

Don’t coaches decide which players the media gets to speak to? If they were uncomfortable you think they would say something to the coach. And Stubbs tweeted last night that where the players meet with the media is nowhere near the showers.

26. Phil C says:

The most encouraging thing about the last two games for me is that the Habs have finally addressed the loss of Emelin. The call up of Tinordi and his use on the PK, Diaz finding his groove, and the pairing of Subban with Markov have restored the defense to a group they can win with again. It took them almost a month to figure it out, but I am happy with this group of 6 defensemen and how they are paired. LA made it all the way to the Cup with the same 6 defensemen, let’s hope Montreal can do the same.

• The Juice says:

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• ed says:

I agree Phil. I thought Tinordi was off the charts fantastic yesterday. 1st line penalty kill minutes at one point, with a defensive zone face off.

I am so pumped.

Last piece of the puzzle is Price.

If Price comes back all the way to the pre-clinch days, we will be a real force.

• savethepuck says:

I mentioned when Diaz came back that I would like to see PK with Markov. There is no questioning their offensive upside and PK shows the defensive skills that Markov has generally been paired with in the past along with the offensive. I am very impressed with the development of Tinordi, he has looked very good over the last 2 games and I’m glad MT is finally using him on the power. I guess he was just shielding him his first stint with the club. I think everyone on here would be now shocked if Tinordi is not 1 of the top 6 Design for these playoffs.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Mattyleg

…You are unlikely to be surprised by My response to what You wrote on Don Cherry (ol’ Man Rant) Matty, but here goes

…I was 17 years old when I left as a soldier for Vietnam …Yours as well as a lot of My generation felt Vietnam was the wrong war to fight …it certainly was more awful than a young boy from Montreal could have imagined

…I remember leaving a fresh-faced naive child barely 127 pounds soaking wet, and returned a very much more wizened young man of 190 pounds of toughness, mental and physical …I left with kisses and well-wishes from friends and family as the domestic opposition to that war had not yet realized …I returned to condescension, reprimand and occasionally a spit or two from long-haired anti-war protesters

…being away for only 2 years, I found Canada and the US had changed like night and day …returning to Canada was as alien at that time as landing on the moon

…I, personally, happened to believe there was a purpose to the war in Vietnam when I joined, in the macro sense of the struggle between totalitarian Red Russia, Red China and the vicious insurgencies then raging in Indonesia, Malaysia and Indo-China vs the ideals of western democracy

…I still firmly believe to this day My gut was right, though Vietnam was a vicious cruel unpopular war, that if it had not been fought the Soviet Union would still exist today and Red China would now not be open to the world as it is today

…as a soldier that faced and experienced the micro gritty, life and death day to day reality of the Vietnamese and Cambodians, as well as We soldiers, it did not take long to realize the vast majority of the ‘enemy’ were vastly more concerned for overthrowing their corrupt politicians and military leaders, meat and rice on their families’ tables than any concepts of communism or democracy

…no wars in the history of man makes sense ..but, ironically, it is You and your generation and those that will follow that revels in the unintended benefits of the madness of human nature

…like in a hockey game, a skirmish or a fight breaks out …ideally everyone just wants to skate, make plays, shoot and someone meet the challenge and prevent the puck enter a net …but human nature is, somehow, never satisfied with that

…life, war, love, human nature, instinct for survival and protect ours and our own’s best interests is what it is

…Don Cherry ? …the only things I have against Don Cherry is in His choices of preferred hockey teams he supports …beyond that Don Cherry is the salt of the (Canadian) Earth …His values, passions, biases mirror those that built this unique and beautiful land and democracy called Canada

…those that call Don Cherry names ironically demean and chastise Cherry when He reacts to something not familiar to him

…is Cherry, kissing a Muslim Kadri a racist ? …be careful who You called a racist misogynist, because You are showing Your own socially-naive biases and naivety

…if You were one of the early pioneers clearing the lands of the west coast with your creativity and labor, in hindsight would You not be one to see threat in a boatload from India arriving in port or from China ? …our pioneers knew well even then of the out-of-control over population in India and China …don’t You think, if lived in the day, there was reason in their sense of threat

…Canada set up internment camps because at the time we had a vicious enemy in Japan we were at war with …I hate that many had their property appropriated, but unless you lived in BC at the time don’t make judgements on the unfortunate things that go on in war times unless you, yourself, was there

…a good friend of mine in Quebec was one of the Japanese moved east with his family during the war …he owned a textile firm north of Montreal and was publisher/editor of a respected Japanese newsletter in Montreal …in all Our many discussions he never expressed resentment, and loved and respected Canada for what it gave to him

…many of Your generation make judgements based on naivety Matty …wet behind the ears naivety

• savethepuck says:

I admit that usually when I scroll up from the bottom and come across a post this long, I generally skip over it. Glad I bothered to start reading, and finishing this one. From a military family, well said.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Dunboyne Mike says:

HiS, on one level I doubt that your post belongs here. But on another, if not here, then where? If it makes even one of us stop and think before pronouncing on something which we know only from one angle (and I’m not referring to Matty but to all 3000-odd of us here), then it will have been worth putting here and worth the very personal effort you put into it. Cheers. I’m very glad I read it.

• Habfan10912 says:

Christopher, thank you for your service. CHeers.

• Phil C says:

All I can say is thank you for your service. I suspect that for every over-zealous war protester, there were many more who admired the courage and character it takes to take up arms in defense of your country, your beliefs, and your way of life.

• Timo says:

Of all of this I gotta ask… there was more than one japanese newsletter in Mtl?

• blu3chip says:

I meant no disrespect… but…

“… Red China would now not be open to the world as it is today”

Really? You really think so?

28. habs_54321 says:

so bobrovsky for vezina? i think anderson has not played enough games and has a slightly better % than rask with more games played on a lesser team. unless rask pulls a shutout tonight i think bob will win it.

29. HammerHab says:

Hey mods I got the next poll question for ya….

Who do you think will be the Habs captain in 3-5 years?

Gorges
    Gallagher
    Galchenyuk
    Eller
    Tinordi
    Other

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

30. frontenac1 says:

What the heck is going on in here today amigos?Soldiers,Buck Nekid Guys,Cherry?Habs kicked Leaf Arse last night! Back to my Vodka and Bob Marley.Vas-y Les Boys!

31. BJ says:

@Mr. Biter (I couldn’t reply below). In answer to your question. In part some of my news comes from news photographers that I worked with over 40 years that are covering some of these wars.

• Mr. Biter says:

Some or most of mine comes from friends of mine who write for Jane’s Defense Weekly. One if the most reputable source for any conflicts around the world. And yes I do get some from Fox News which I do watch. But to put the CBC in the same breath as Fox News I found very questionable as they both have much different points of view on everything.
      I also read Stratfor on a daily basis and yes, what is reported on all the major Mainstream Media is not always what is happening on the ground.
      BJ, If you ever want to chat via phone or e-mail about the above subjects let me know for an open discussion.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

32. Maritime Ron says:

Hi Matty,

Thanks for your learned and definitely heart felt thoughts and expression.

Your opinion and sharing is so much appreciated.
    To be able to outright share and discuss is a blessing and hopefully never becomes a right we take for granted.
    Perhaps at the end of the the day, that is why this country-this superb geographical place we call Canada, is the BEST country in the world.

As per OUR CONSTITUTION ACT, 1982:

Fundamental Freedoms:

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d) freedom of association.

• billylove says:

In the US, we too have all those freedoms, well, sort of.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Back in the old days an American and a citizen of the USSR were talking about freedom. The American says, “At the very least, we’re free to criticize our government without the fear of being arrested.” The Russian says, “We have that same freedom here. We, too, are free to criticize your government without fear of arrest.”

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

33. Bill says:

Strange for me to defend Don Cherry, but I think he has a lot of credibility on women’s issues, in terms of actually doing something for them instead of just saying you care about it.

I’ve met him a couple times and he’s a nice guy. My problem with him is strictly about him being such a Leaf/Bruins partisan. That’s why I don’t watch his show. But he’s a pretty decent guy IRL I believe.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t understand what the big deal is about. He wasn’t talking about a woman’s ability to do a job. He was talking about the circumstance of putting them in a men’s locker room. According to his values, he does not believe women should have to be exposed to naked men to do their job. I don’t see anything wrong with this view other than it is “old-fashioned” to many nowadays.

34. Mattyleg says:

@Maritime Ron:
    Although it was inelegantly put, I agree with the gist of UCE’s comment.

I have family in the military, both past and present, retired, killed, captured… and I am an avid student of military history.

I don’t think that Coach’s Corner is an appropriate place for Cherry’s tributes to the Canadian military, and it whenever I saw it in the past, it made me uncomfortable. It made me uncomfortable because I was being asked to agree with Cherry’s jingoism under the guise of ‘paying tribute to our boys.’

For all the good you say he does, Ron, he does a hell of a lot more bad in a much more public sphere. His borderline xenophobia, as expressed nearly weekly in his negative comments about Francophones, Scandinavians, Russians, and anybody who is not a white, Anglo Canadian are an embarrassment to the values of this country.

Cherry’s views do represent an older version of Canada, but it’s a Canada that set up internment camps during the Second World War, barred Indians from landing in Vancouver, and sent natives to residential schools. I’m very happy that THAT Canada has ‘lost its way’. I hope that Canada never finds its way back, despite Cherry’s best efforts.

This is why whenever Cherry asks me to pay tribute to our fallen soldiers, I decline. I pay my respects my way, in my own time. Not during a hockey game, and not because he asks me to.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• BJ says:

My two cents worth on the military hype. I only respect military people IF its to defend your own country from invasion. All these BS wars in the middle east are not to be praised. They are “land grabs” and the natural resources that come with it. And when I hear “thanks to all our brave men and women” that are basically not “brave or clear” enough to discriminate about what is a just war or not and mindlessly are part of a military that is basically controlled by corporations that are puppet masters to governments. Brave in fact are these 3rd world country citizens that are resisting invasions of their homeland by F-117’s, B2 bombers and all the depleted uranium bombs that are destroying their countries. They are basically fighting back with pea shooters, and we have to consider the invaders brave. Give me a break.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Excellent post, Matty. Nail on the head.
      Murphy’s Law, I always but always scroll from the wrong end, and therefore did not see your post til I had clumsily penned my own, somewhat similar post below near Martime Ron’s.
      Cheers

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The issue I have with Don Cherry’s tribute to soldiers is that his political views hurt them. Don Cherry thinks we should have followed the US into Iraq because they are “our neighbors”. If you love the soldiers so much why would you send them into situations like that? It is hypocritical…thank God Harper was not the PM then.

35. Danno says:

Don Cherry’s Dressing Room Rant

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I’m completely with Don and Dennis on this

• Mattyleg says:

I see this as an old-man rant.
      Like an old fella complaining that guys don’t stand up for women on the bus, or that men should always open doors for ladies.

That’s fine. Live the way you want to, and if you feel that is the gentlemanly thing to do, by all means, do it. No-one will judge you, apart from perhaps thinking that you are a quaint relic. I open doors for women, and I stand up on the bus for older people (not for young ladies; they can stand) but I do that because I feel it’s the right thing to do.

I don’t tell other people to do it – although I have berated people for not ceding their seats to pregnant women, which is just ignorant – and I don’t think that Don should be telling anyone what they should and shouldn’t feel comfortable with.

One thing I think should be considred, however, is that female reporters should always be given the option about going into the dressing room or not. Any boss that demands that one of their employees do something that they do not feel comfortable with is irresponsible, and if a female reporter does not feel at ease going into a male dressing-room, she should be given another assignment.

But if she’s cool with it, let ‘er do it.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

:) very interesting how after last nights game those whom voted for the Rangers as Their preference to meet in the playoffs has in 10 hours dropped from 42 % to 39 %

…and those voting to meet da Weeds has risen from 9 % to 19 %

…Habs Fans are like quicksilver :)

37. habs001 says:

Why are people posting that if it is Ottawa the game may be Thursday?…If it is the Leafs would that not be the same day?

• habs001 says:

Probably because of the canc game being played today

• MICP says:

Word was that the NHL advised the Senators that due to having to play their make up game today they would not have to start their series before Wednesday. Since there is a concert on Wednesday, game 1 would be Thursday.

• BJ says:

Because they want to give the Bruins an extended rest as per their request because of the Boston bombings and cancelled games. Bruins and Sens playing this season’s last regular game 1 day later than the other NHL teams.

• B says:

Apparently Ottawa was told that since they play today, they will not start the playoffs before Wednesday. If they play the Habs, game 1 is in Montreal and the Bell Centre is booked for Wed. Night, so it would be a Thursday start.

–Go Habs Go!–

38. ooder says:

alright HIO make me feel better about possibly playing the SENS in the playoffs. They are a very well trained tough team. With very good defense, a very good goalie, they are getting their injured back and alfredson who always lights up the habs it will be a very hard series.

39. Maritime Ron says:

@ commandant

You and your site are always a great read, yet I have a question for you.

Now that it is official that we will have 2nd Round picks of Nashville and Calgary at #34 and #36 respectfully, is there a possibility you can see some bonafide 1st rounders moving down and that we can scoop?

Next question:
    I realise you are a Timmins fan, but is he truly one of the best?
    Where do you position David Conte of the Devils?
    Or Jim Benning of the Bruins?

I could name some others but do you really rank Timmins up there with the best?
    If so, can you document that as to how we have been better than other orgs overall?
    Do you believe he has had ‘last say’ since his Habs employment since 2002?
    Do you know if he has been overruled in the past or consulted during trades of prospects ( McDonagh comes to mind..)
    Please, no speculation, just facts and no need for sources,

• commandant says:

1) Picks at 34 and 36 would definitely give us the ability to move up if we want to. Based on trade value and previous drafts, I don’t see it being top 10 value, but top 15 if we wanted to.

2) Timmins is one of the best. There was a study last year that ranked ten years of NHL picks, gave them all a value (single, double, triple, home run) based on how good they are as NHL players and then computed every team’s batting average, and slugging percentage. Montreal came out first in both of those categories.
      Boston has clearly done a great job in scouting with guys like Lucic, Bergeron, Caron, Seguin, Hamilton and others. They are amongst the best. But when you look at a guy like David Fisher for Timmins, or Zach Hamill in Boston, you can see that this is an inexact science and even the best screwup.

As for what input Timmins truly has, I don’t know… I’m not in the war room, not privy to the decisions. i know that Gainey and Gauthier both said he had final say on the draft, and Bergevin said he deferred to Timmins.

As for Trades, Timmins said he wasn’t consulted on the Gomez/McDonagh deal, and seeing him in the war room for the Habs at this trade deadline (with Bergevin), is something that didn’t happen under the previous regime. That said, how much value his input is given, I don’t know.

The thing is the GM is like the captain of the ship, at the end of the day its his butt on the line for everything his senior staff does. And how much power he gives them behind closed doors is just speculation.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Maritime Ron says:

Thank you for your answer.
        Very much appreciated especially #2

• NB Hab says:

We dont need to move up from 34 and 36. Last year we got Colberg and Thrower after the first round and most rankings had both of them as first round choices. If you want to move up it should be to get into the top 5 only. There is not much difference in #15-#35 based on the fact that ISS, Central scouting, Button and Mackenzie have players in their top 30 that are in others next 15.

• neumann103 says:

Ron,

Unless someone was actually there, this is all just speculation

I don’t remember the source but I do recall reading at the time of the Halak trade that it was pretty public that Timmins was one of the architects of that specifically because he wanted Lars Eller. Apparently Eller had been Timmins next choice if McDonagh had not been available (and in fact was selected with the very next pick in that draft). I had specifically gone looking for background because it seemed to me that the Halak trade netted essentially what they would have got as compensation for an offer sheet at that salary level so I figured there had to be something specific the Habs were looking for.

The rumour was that Timmins was strongly opposed to the McDonagh trade. While he was obviously right, it is pretty typical for chief scouts to value guys they picked, so you would be surprised if they did want to trade any.

I doubt that any scout truly has “last say”. You always hve the possibility of being overruled by the GM, or swamped by a consensus of peers.

“Et le but!”

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi Nuemann
        Interesting take on things.
        Tks so much for that, and agree – we’ll never know, yet Gainey in Dallas is almost confirming what you mention.

40. billylove says:

Interesting to see Markov get very testy early on last night. He may have defense shortcomings but his offensive talents are crucial. He is more of a risk/reward player in his fantastic comeback. Many thought this guy was done. Far from it. He’s put up offensive numbers that are clearly above expectations given the obstacles he’s faced. Yeah, he carries a certain risk on defense but his overall contributions reap more rewards. He is a leader and he could surprise even more in the playoffs. Laffs, Sens – either way, we’re ready to begin the toughest grind in pro sports. Playoffs!!!

• joeybarrie says:

30 points in 48 games coming off of 2 years of injury plagued seasons….
      Markov had been a GOD this season for us considering.

• habs001 says:

A+ on the pp but only a C 5/5…

• joeybarrie says:

Second on our team in blocked shots…. Top D in shooting percentage. 4 game winning goals, and his PP points and even strength points are similar to PKs.
          He has always been a very good PP player, and an offensive defensemen. He has gotten a lot of ice time against others teams top players this season and that shows.
          Leading our team in time on ice, I think is the result. He has had a lot of moments that went wrong and a lot of it is due to being tired, from my recollection. However I may only be looking for that.
          Our D this season has been good, but it still has a few holes.

• Danno says:

The Russian Bear has awoken from his slumber and is angry. Beware…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

41. WhatUp says:

best thing about this year is not only the playoffs but given where Nashville and Flames finish we end up with at least 3 picks in the top 37..gotta thank the Goat on that one.

42. scott9002ca says:

I don’t really care who we play… yeah the leafs would be good for HNIC and make good headlines, and they also might be the weaker of the Ontario teams, but that’s not what the playoffs are about. The playoffs are about standing up to whatever team comes between you and the cup, whether its the leafs, sens, bruins, hawks. I trust it will be a good series, because what makes a good series is not the name on the sweaters, its the players behind them.

43. savethepuck says:

Congratulations to Canada on winning the U-18 gold.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

44. Habitant in Surrey says:

…looking at Eller on last night’s video, His face and body mass looks almost ‘roided

…are Y’all seeing same ?

…of course, it may be the results in the weight-room …but the extra strength is certainly giving Him confidence to do things He would/could not do before

45. BJ says:

Gold for Canada at the U-18. Yes.

46. SteverenO says:

Great win last night.
    Great for the team psyche.

Did we actually do anything to help the team prepare for the playoffs?

The only players (skaters) that were given the night off , and are most likely to be in the game 1 playoff opener are Armstrong and Halpern,.

There are definitely a few other skaters that could have benefitted from a few extra therapy days, such as Markov, Bouillon, Gorges, Plekanec, Ryder, Gionta, Prust. Resting any two of these players would probably have benefitted the team more come playoff time than resting Armstrong and Halpern, and probably would not have made the difference between winning and losing yesterdays game. (even if it did , the win may still prove to be of no value should we end up in 4th spot anyway,and the “seeding” only matters IF we advance past round 1) The real tragedy is that having clinched a playoff berth with 8 games remaining in the season the team was in a great position to have all their veterans well rested going into the postseason. It was nice to give Moen and White a chance to see what they might bring (as backups) come playoff time, but what about Drewiske? Who is the 7th Defenceman going into the playoffs, is it Drewiske? Weber , Beaulieu? Patteryn?
    The team ”earned” the opportunity to have these questions answered in their last 8 games and they could have rested their older and banged up d-men while getting those answers. Instead we are forced to “guess” who to substitute in, should one of the starting 6 defensemen suffer injury, suspension, or exhaustion.

After the game Therrien is quoted as saying “we are ready for the playoffs”.
    Let look at that statement: having played 48 games, and the last 8 with a playoff spot guaranteed is it fair to say that the team is ready for the playoffs when:
    1) PowerPlay Point men: Gorges is still part of the mix for second wave point man on the PP. Being “ready” would have meant having tried a forward’ whether it be Eller, Galchenyuk, or anyone else in that spot . I refuse to believe that NHL calibre hockey players cannot be “taught” to man the point on the powerplay.
    2) PowePrlay forward lines—- are not optimized: The most productive PP line all season long has been Gionta, Plek, and Bourque and after injury to Bourque GIonta , Plek and Ryder. This line has been as productive as any PP forwards line in the NHL. The second line of Pacioretty/Desharnas / Gallagher/ has been the exact opposite despite playing together as a unit for approximately 100 minutes. Before Cole was traded the line of PATCH/DD/COLE was equally as productive as the Plekanec line. It is NOT certain that adding Gallagher to the line was the cause of this line’s total lack of productivity, however it is a fact and a problem that was never addressed. Finally, in last night’s game the coach decide to try something and he replaced Gallagher with Bourque. While they did not score a powerplay goal they LOOKED like a powerplay line that may be effective. Are they “READY” to step up and take over as the second PP line in the playoffs after having played just one game as a unit? It’s nice to see that the line (Patch/DD/BOURQUE) performed well at even strength as well , but to be fair the DD line with Gallagher on it did pretty well at even strength all year, so that alone does not ensure they will be successful on the PP. I think it would be fair to say that being “ready” for the playoffs would have meant that the Eller/ Gallchenyulk/ Gallagher (or other), line had a chance to work on the PP so that instead of having one “proven” lPP line for the playoffs and one question mark, we would have two and maybe even three potentially effective PP lines going into the post season. The two big concerns for the PP going into the playoffs, are Markov, (he has been terrible of late, and the coach not seemingly able to recognize which line/players are more productive and allotting playing time accordingly.
    3) Defence pairings; While it seems that last night pairings will be the ones going into the playoffs Subban/Markov, Georges/Diaz, and Tinordi/Bouillon, these are relatively new combos that have
    only been together for two games. To say that they are “ready” is , I believe, wishful thinking.
    4) Forward lines: Let’s see. Ryde/Plek/Gionta, — , Pacioretty/ DD/ Bourque, Gally27/Eller/Gally11 , Armstrong/Halpern/ Prust, seem to be the lines going in. . It’s a nice line-up, and with Prust getting the occasional shift, on the top three lines, (in place of Ryder, Bourque, and Gally, ) There is no problem with Halpern and Armstrong playing 8 minutes per game plus some PK time, Prust needs to be out there more often. In this case I have confidence that the coaching staff will choose their spots accordingly and play Prust mpore than the other 4th liners, as needed.
    5) Penalty Kill: Are we ready for the playoffs? Taking Markov out of the PK has worked well the last two games, but will the coach go with Tinordi as a top PK defenseman come playoffs? He has looked good but he has a total of 7 minutes of NHL penalty kill duty under his belt in his career so far. Are we really better off with Subban NOT on the penalty kill? There is no problem with Gorges and Diaz being 1st line defense on the PK, but who are the next pair?

Forwards on the Penalty kill is an area where we are strong, With Plekanec, Prust, Halpern, Armstrong (Moen if in the lineup). Even Bourque and Gionta have had some experience, and success and would be able to step in if needed. It would have been nice to see if Gallagher could add a little scoring threat on the PK. If we find ourselves down by two or more goals, I would feel a bit better about trying to kill a penalty if there was a chance that we score a short handed goal and turn the game around. I do not get the feeling that we will score any shorthanded goals with Armstrong , Moen, Halpern, etc,..on the front end. Anyway, there are still too many questions to say that ,as far as the PK goes, the team is “ready” for the playoffs.
    . 6. Goaltending ; This is one area where there are no questions as to who will be starting. Price os our number 1 and he will be given every opportunity to play and keep playing. It would be a bit of stretch to say the Price is “ready” , or at the top of his game, with the playoffs about to start. Its very difficult to tell with Goalies, Price can get hot and get on a roll where he becomes almost unbeatable, or conversely he can go into a slump where he can’t stop anything.
    I believe that the day off yesterday, may have benefitted Price, but it’s really hard to tell with goaltenders. It is certainly better to have a day off after a good game (Price played a strong games last game against the Jet’s) than after being blown out.)
    AS for playoff preparation, It’s good to have a backup goalie who is “game ready” and the team has confidence in. The hope is that we never have to use Budaj in the playoffs, but you can never have enough “insurance”.

To summarize, of the 7 areas discussed above , Powerplay (forward and point), Penalty Kill (forward and defense), Forward lines, Defence pairings, and Goaltending, I am not sure that , being honest, you can say that the team is truly “ready” in any of them.

Regards,

Steve O.

• Mr. Biter says:

If we play Ottawa we get 5 days off. More than enough time. Perhaps too much for Price though, but he’ll come through.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

• commandant says:

1) Coaches do NOT use forwards on the point of their second unit. You never want to be caught with a forward playing defence at the end of a penalty and be stuck playing 5 on 5 with 4 forwards out there. If teams use extra forwards, its almost always on the first unit. With Markov and PK elite PP guys, and a top 5 PP in the league, no sense experimenting with a forward on the first unit.

2) The PP is top 5 in the league…. I think you are overanalyzing an area that we’ve been excellent at overall.

3) We are fighting for first place. You don’t rest guys when you have a shot at a goal. See Indianapolis Colts.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

47. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Canada defeated US 3-2 in WJ Under 18s

…in case it was not mentioned

I really hope the Sens win tonight. Then the Habs first round will be all home games.

49. Ghosts of the Forum says:

What a great f*cking season.

50. CHasman says:

So great to see the win over the Laffs last night. They are a better team than they showed though and shouldn’t be taken lightly.
    Having a fourth line of guys that will all fight really helps against the Leafs. They can’t even line up for a face-off without gooning someone. We really need a guy like Tinordi back there who can end a rush and stop the oppositions puck possession with one hit.
    Some things that worry me. As a team we are weak on the puck. Guys like Deharnais, Plekanec, Galchenyuk (he’ll get stronger} and Gionta don’t win many battles. Guys that are bigger and stronger and should win more puck battle are Bourque and Patches. Guys that are good battling for the puck are Eller (so much stronger this year), Gallagher(sheer determination), Subban and sometimes Gorges. Stiill need to be bigger.
    Our rushes on the power play are so slow, no speed going into the opposition zone. Then, when we have possession we give the puck up too easily by making too many bad passes (Pacioretty, Deharnais) or losing puck battles where we outnumber the bad guys. Sorry to the little guy but Eller would be a better center on the PP than DD. He’s creative, bigger, stronger and has a better shot.
    The penalty kill was better last night but how do you give up breakaways on the Pk? The one yesterday was because Gorges tried to do someone else’s job and left his side open. We should not be playing Gionta on the penalty kill because he skates around like crazy but when he has a chance at the puck he just gets pushed out of the way. I don’t like Bourque either as he just doesn’t skate hard enough. But Prust and Eller, those guys are great. I think Gallagher would work on the PK too, hardworking, fearless, blocks shots and for a little guy wins battles.
    My last rant is about Ryan White. Many people complain about him, but if you’re playing Toronto or Boston you need a guy like him in the lineup. He’s a little crazy and the other team knows that. He made our fourth line much tougher last night and we can all agree we lack toughness.

• Sal from the Hammer says:

Whites a keeper. That little bit of crazy he has keeps other teams on their toes.

• Mr. Biter says:

As I posted yesterday MT sent the lads out (Prust, Moen and White) and told RC lets do it now. Leafs cowed down. They showed their true colors later trying to draw individuals into fights (from the back naturally). Also Ref’s took control and sent the Goons off with the 10 minute misconducts.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

51. Maritime Ron says:

There is some chatter out there that if we end up playing Ottawa, we may only see Game 1 next Thursday.

52. Bripro says:

The rookies are so inspiring.
    I’m sure many here noticed, but nothing was said about Chucky’s contribution on Eller’s goal.
    Tinordi laid Grabovsky out nicely and Gorges recovered with a head’s up play.
    And yes, Gallagher’s lob-pass to Eller was almost as sweet as Eller tucking in to a space smaller than the puck.
    But if our young Galchenyuk doesn’t laser a tape-to-tape pass through 3 Leaf players from once side of the rink to the other, there would be no goal.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

“Those kids are the best thing I’ve watched on the Canadiens since the glory years of the 70s.”

I’m trying to fight thinking that, trying to manage expectations, and there you are just saying it!

53. Maritime Ron says:

@ Un Canadien errant

You mention, ” …..This is now common, accepted practice in major league sports, you’d think Don Cherry would have noticed, but maybe he’s too busy weeping at fallen soldiers…”
    ——-
    First off, please know I thoroughly enjoy your writings – your use of the English language with all its nuances, and it is a welcome relief from a somewhat mindless, instantaneous, ill thought out Twitter World where Shakespearean prose is an unknown entity.

I also find myself agreeing with you on many points, yet also respectfully disagree on some others.
    Healthy debate is always a desire, is it not?

Regarding Don Cherry, let us not forget a few facts.
    First, the man is now 79 years old and while you blast his CBC platform, he has also used that same platform to promote “Good.”

Just a few small examples:
    ” Cherry has lent his considerable persona to selected charitable causes, most significantly, organ donation awareness.”
    ” Don created Rose Cherry’s Home for Kids. Cherry contributed in developing Rose Cherry’s Home for Kids which has since been renamed to The Darling Home for Kids, in Milton, Ontario.”

Don Cherry is television’s version of an editorial or columnist with an opinion. We can disagree or agree… or actually tune him out, yet he does have a right to an opinion.

Don Cherry is our present day version of Archie Bunker – a man that refuses to move from what present day “Society” may perceive as ‘ancient social values’ yet a man that firmly believes in his own set of social and family values that served him and a few generations quite well.

Obviously, these same beliefs may cause a stir from a 21st Century society that perhaps…only perhaps, may have lost its way…

As for your side swipe of Don and “…he’s too busy weeping at fallen soldiers…” that my friend, is out of line and perhaps some emotion overruled your logic during that writing.

This is truly not the forum to debate the politics of war or peace, yet to call out a man for bringing awareness to those that truly believed they were doing the right thing- that have died and left families and friends behind with several burdens, is totally wrong.

These same fallen are human beings with families and friends. Perhaps we should refrain from judging their motivations or reasoning for joining, yet it should never be our right to judge these same young people or those that bring awareness to their forever life long pain.

• you’d think Don Cherry would have noticed, but maybe he’s too busy weeping at fallen soldiers. Un Canadien errant

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Bripro says:

“When the day arrives where he becomes deemed irrelevant, he will disappear and be replaced.”
      Isn’t he already?
      …spoken like a CBC representative.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Well written post. I am not a fan of Don Cherry but I agree with everything you said about the soldiers. ( I am also a fan of canadien errant)

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…well said Ron

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Well expressed, M-R.
      Can I say that, as I read UCE’s remark, it seemed to me that the cynicism it contained obviously in no way applied to soldiers who have lost their lives or endured injuries, nor even to Cherry’s sincerity which most would agree is entirely genuine. What I read was a cynicism directed at CBC/HNIC for including these moments in a programme that’s supposed to offer analysis and league news during the intermission of hockey games. As it turns out, the exposure is very good, and one could argue that soldiers don’t get exposure like that — which they deserve — anywhere else. So the result is good. However that may be, because it’s HNIC, I can’t be 100% convinced of their motive for doing it (pure patriotism?), and hence can relate to the cynicism which I think I sensed in UCE’s comment.

I don’t know if I’ve expressed that very well. Put it this way, I hate the thought of someone like Sholi (above) being offended by such a comment, and I feel certain that UCE would also and that the intent was a criticism of HNIC and of nothing else.

Cheers

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ron, thanks for taking the time to read my comments, and for taking me to task in the respectful manner that you have. I agree that healthy disagreements are part of life, and when handled properly on this forum make our community a joy to be a part of.

I’ll respond with two broad points.

First, I don’t say or believe that Don Cherry is irredeemably worthless or evil. I do think he’s a good ole boy, speaks from the heart, to his detriment often, and has a soft spot for a few worthy causes, notably supporting the youth hockey and the military and their families.

What I do see though is that he’s increasingly lost touch with Canadian values and is more and more the crotchety crank on the street rather than the kindly grandfatherly neighbour. His rant yesterday about women being on a pedestal and above men was shocking, it was so random and unrelated to any hockey topic of the day that it was bizarre. His was the plaint of the privileged WASP male who thinks that minorities and women have it too easy nowadays, what for, them natives don’t even pay tax, what’s that about?

For years now, he has championed violence in hockey. For a man who claims to love hockey and the players, he paradoxically uses his influence as a broadcaster to effectively expose them to injury or worse. He incorrigibly, and I’m sure intentionally mispronounces European and Québecois players’ names to demean them and imply that they are less worth of respect than Anglo-Saxon Canadian-named players. It’s Lalongo this and Lapee-aire that. He brands players who wear visors as yellow, as opposed to reasonable men who want to protect their eyesight. It’s unworthy of the conduct expected from a broadcaster on our national service.

And this brings me to my second point, which is that he partially insulates himself from criticism for the behaviours I described by associating himself with military causes. We see this behaviour all too often with reactionary politicians who align themselves with traditional family values, the flag and the constitution: “I stand for my country, therefore I’m a good guy and beyond reproach.”

As Samuel Johnson is reputed to have said: “Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.” I’m afraid that with Don Cherry, we have such a scoundrel.

———————————————————————–

• Maritime Ron says:

@ Un Canadien errant
        Tks for your response and your eloquence is second to none.

You state, ” For years now, he has championed violence in hockey” which is totally wrong.

May I ask if you have ever played the game beyond major junior?
        If not, it may difficult to understand the mindset of young people in their teens or under 22-23 – the level of competition=the other levels about wanting to be in The Show – the willing to sacrifice body and soul. Maybe on another forum or platform….

54. ooder says:

you know what’s funny how some people cherry pick stats.
    I find that whenever people bash Price they disregard his wins and point to his way below average save percentage and above average GAA. The people who love Price point out the number of wins. this is for the regular season.
    Then for the playoffs the bashers point out Price’s unflattering win/loss ratio while the lovers point to his pretty good save percentage and GAA.
    not hating on anyone, just found that trend interesting

55. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

Save your b.s. political sigs. No one wants to see your ideological dribble on a hockey site.

56. habstrinifan says:

So according to Stubbs if we play Sens series start on Wednesday. If Leafs Tues remains the date.

57. Habilis says:

Guess who led the NHL is giveaways this season?

Toronto Maple Laffs captain Dion Phaneuf, that’s who.

• commandant says:

As much as I’d like to laugh, the stat is unreliable. The Leafs had nearly 2.5 times as many giveaways at home vs on the road. Seems that a giveaway in one rink isn’t counted as a giveaway in every rink.

Bell Centre is notorious for bigger numbers than other rinks on the giveaway stat too.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

58. Byron Clark says:

Thanks for another great season of columns Boone! My favorite post game read. Go Habs Go!

59. Cape Breton says:

AG27 is the new BIGM27.

60. habstrinifan says:

Just an academic question. Based on HIO, is Kadri the new Subban.

For instance:If you’re going to act like that and not drop them…you’re a punk…especially if someone much smaller (Gallagher) challenges you. Even Don Cherry said he has to… right out of the Subban 101 course.

Other examples:
    Kadri is a great young player, very skilled and competitive to the core but should stick to his game. The extracurricular antics only work against him.======

Kadri has shown some skill in spurts, but we’ll see once he has played a few 82 game schedules.
    One thing is sure. He better learn to be a rookie and keep his mouth shut and go about his business like Galchenyuk. If not, one game next year in some arena, he will get his head ripped off.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think Kadri went further than P.K. Jameson

…He’s a Guy I’ve tended to pull for because of His childhood affinity to the Habs, but He has recently lost all my previous good will …and, if I was a player dealing with him on the ice, I would not be too kind to him

…exceptional talent though

61. Irishhabsfan says:

For those of you that are old enough to remember the 70’s in Hollywood there was a t.v. show named Chuck Barris and the Gong Show…fast forward to 2013 in Toronto, we have Randy Carlyle and the Goon Show.

Goon hockey does not work well in the playoff’s..just hold your noses until the smell disappears!

62. otter649 says:

New CH24 Series English episode on TSN @ 2;30 pm est……

63. Habilis says:

Question for Commandant, if you’re around:

Frederic Gauthier… What’s the deal with this kid and where do you think he’ll go in the draft?

Looks like a player!

64. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

If the Leafs play that goony style of hockey, they’ll be in trouble if the Habs get their power play to work. That crap may work in the regular season but without a proper game plan they are in trouble. The lack of mobility and quick thinking amongst their defensemen was a contributing factor to their loss. However, the Habs have no antidote for goons because Prust is clearly hurt and unable to match up size-wise and Moen has lost the urge to earn his paycheque and White is kind of small to take on the huge goons of the Leafs.

• fastfreddy says:

Bring up Stortini.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• commandant says:

Stortini is NOT Habs property.

You can’t call him up, he’s on an AHL only contract.

He would have needed to have been signed before the trade deadline to play in the playoffs.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• habs12 says:

thank u. been hearing this stortini bs all year.

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

A solution can only be achieved in the off-season. In the Pens farm club is Steve McIntyre, a 33-year old solid goon who could be had for cheap and he still likes to fight unlike Laraque. Also, Patrice Bordeleau of the Avs is a real good brawler and younger and would love to return to Quebec. Both those guys are heavyweights and we only need one as we have Prust who is a tough middleweight. Moen should be traded for a 3rd or 4th round pick. The Oilers might take him and someone from our prospect pool for Paajarvi who I think the Habs could develop into a solid contributor.

• commandant says:

You don’t need a goon. Last night’s game proved what can happen if you refuse to play goon hockey. Don’t stoop to that level, and just outskate them.

If you get another Prust who can play 10-15 minutes a night, great, get him.

But there is no need for the MacIntyre, Stortini, and other guys who can’t skate at the NHL level.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Ton says:

why would you go down the path of goon hockey if you were the habs…….slows the game down……….winning strategy is to make them play hockey………that 4th of line of there’s can’t….no skill level whatsoever……….likely it will be a long series and skill prevails…..it almost worked for them against the bruins.

• Mr. Biter says:

When challenged by our 4th line last night they quieted down right quick.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• hab fan in leaf jungle says:

Every Habs team which won Cups had an enforcer. Fergy, Bonin, Harper, Fontinato, Chartraw, Risebrough, Big Bird, The Bouchards and ofcourse Nilan and Kordic and on non-Cup teams we still had toughness in Corson, Souray,Brashear, Todd Ewen etc. Until the league enforces the rules and wipes out fighting there will always be a need for fighters. I don’t like it but it is what it is.

• commandant says:

Of all the guys you mentioned (two of whom are in the Hall of Fame) you only mentioned two guys who were fighters with no other skill (Souray and Brashear). The other guys could play.

Cup winners often scratch their pure goons in the playoffs. They are unnecessary to win. I want more Prusts. I don’t want a 2 minute per game cement head who can’t skate. He’s useless.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• savethepuck says:

Did I miss something, or did the Bruins already beat the Sens?

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

65. fastfreddy says:

Not liking the Gionta Plekanecs (Bourque/Ryder) combo. Split up Gionta and Pleks.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• DorvalTony says:

Yeah lame

“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
      William F. Buckley, Jr.

• habstrinifan says:

Bourque’s been moved to DD/Pacs.. should stay that way.
      Next move Gallagher to Pleks/Gionta and you will see magic. All three will feed off each other and what Gallagher will add to Gionta and Plekanec is a kick-arse attitude to score goals. They both have the talent but not the kick arse attitude re scoring.

• fastfreddy says:

Save Prust, fight Stortini.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

66. habs001 says:

Tinordi looked good yesterday and it will be a huge asset in the playoffs if he keeps it up….Still concerned that vs better teams than the Leafs we need to up grade at least 2/3 of Diaz,Gorges and Cube…All three have positive points but i believe you need better players than they are to be a real cup contender…Same with Armstrong,Moen,white and Halpern…

67. LizardKing1967 says:

LizardKing1967

April 28, 2013 at 11:22 am

RE-POST

Why MT should win the Jack Adams: Magic
    Sure, MacLean has done some good things for Ottawa, with all the injuries they went through. But MT brought a LAST PLACE team to 2nd (almost) in the conference. He also made some controversial decisions about his goalies, his lines and his benchings, but every time he did something, it worked. He is a true magician.

Why Gally should win the Calder: Tenacity
    Sure, Huberdeau and Yakupov have more points (Yakupov scored 3 goals on the last day of the season in a nothing game). But they have both played 4 more games than BG. And BG has a +/- at +10, while Yakupov is -4 and Huberdeau -15. BG has more shots than either one, and he’s played LESS TOI. All this, and we still didn’t mention that he’s the only one of them who gets a beating every night because he sleeps in the opposing crease!
    Why P.K. should win the Norris: Dynamics
    More points, more goals, more PP goals, more shots…..what else do you need. Not only has he worked his way to the top of the heap, he played 6 less games than most others, except Letang, and he’s been so dynamic between points, he does more on the ice than any D-man we;ve seen since Chelios.

My arguments are there.
    Defy you all to challenge!

*****************************************
    Drive for 25. 2012-2013. Max-Pac for Conn Smyth.
    I BELIEVE!
    AG27 is the NEW AK27.
    The new “Kid” line: The “EGG” Line…..scramble the opponents

• habs001 says:

While i believe that this year there should be seperate awards for each conference…Gallagher should win the Calder and Subban the Norris …The Adams should be close….A few weeks ago the Vezina was in the conversation but that has not worked out..

• piper says:

Would you like to give Gallagher and PK some of that money MB gave to DD?

• neumann103 says:

well then….

RE-POST

Taking off the homer glasses.

1. Why Therrien will not and should not win the Adams. MacLean in Ottawa has worked magic with an injury depleted lineup (Spezza, Karlsson, Anderson) and found ways to keep winning in ways that bespeak coaching. Slam dunk.
      I find it hard to rank Therrien more than 4th or 5th on the list of possible candidates. Yes he has been at the helm as a team that was not as bad as its record last year rebounded to an overachieving season. But his decisions have been at best mixed. Yes he played the kids, but he stuck with his faves Boullion, Desharnais and Armstrong aaginst actual merit. His use of Eller and Subban borders on incompetence. And whatever he has done – or allowed his assistants to do – to change the scheme on Penalty Kill is inexcusable. This is an historically strong PK team and this year’s roster is jammed with elite penalty killers. The results are horrid.

2. Gallagher should win the Calder but Huberdeau will and really this one is close.
      At the end of the day, most of the factors like playing on a crappy team, being a minus player, getting craploads of ice time will be disregarded by voters. They probably do weigh the last minute pointless scoring by Yakupov in context, but pedigree and top line numbers will get Huberdeau the nod. It is not wildly undeserved but will be a bitter pill to swallow when…

3. PK Subban should win the Norris but will not. The same clubby old school voters who will give Huberdeau the Calder on top line points will turn around and deny Subban the award while ignoring his merits in exactly this area. They will also blather about ice time (thanks Therrien!) and the perception of tough minutes competition (invalid).

Disclaimers:
      I predicted two years ago that Subban would win a Norris trophy within 5 years, but I think the voters have problematic biases that will require an undeniable case.

Other than Plekanec and Eller, the two Gallys are my favourite Habs and I thought enough of them to draft one in each of my hockey poolls but I picked Huberdeau to win the Calder before the season began and still think he will be the consensus choice.

I thought Therrien was the wrong coach hire. He has obviously turned out better than expected but I think a lot of the Hab’s success is independent of his efforts.

“Et le but!”

BOSTON & OTTAWA game ?
    Is it on the tube? and what time?

69. twilighthours says:

Re kadri, below. I haven’t seen anything from him to call him a punk. Some of you have, so I will defer to your better judgement

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Here’s an example: See how he acts after he hits Eller…

If you’re going to act like that and not drop them…you’re a punk…especially if someone much smaller (Gallagher) challenges you. Even Don Cherry said he has to.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

He was called worse a few threads ago, contravening HIO house rules. It was a good poster to whom I appealed to delete. It was already old so I’m sure he didn’t see it, and it wasn’t modded. (Two other posters complained of my “PC bs”).

To get back to “punk”, til you raised it, Twi, I would have gone along with that assessment, based on our previous Leaf game. If I make more of an effort to be neutral, maybe I’d say he’s a skilled and competitive player, but a bit immature and currently sometimes given to playing like a punk!

70. commandant says:

Bo Horvat is #19 on the draft board.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• H.Upmann says:

interesting… I guess we’ll be drafting late.. Interested to see what Timmins and MB see as priorities in the draft. I say we need to get another big Dman a la Tinordi.

71. Mr. Biter says:

Wonder if Stars buy Cole out? 6goals and 1 assist for $4.5M.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

72. govenah says:

Where is a good site to get well formatted stats (printable) for my hockey pool? And the pool is tonight? I cant wait for the official stats tommorrow

Defensive assignments, breakout speed, make the goalie move out of position, then shoot the puck accurately.

73. savethepuck says:

Had a family commitment last night so I had to PVR the game and finished watching at 4 AM. Les Boys dominated, fun to watch. Last night, and many nights recently, the line of our 3 youngest forwards has been our best. Ah the future.
    I see a few posts re who we would rather face in the first round. My hope is the Sens, only because that means we win the Northeast. Worrying about who we face between the 5th and 8th seed is not showing much faith in this hockey team. Win the division, guarantee home ice advantage in the 2nd round, and save the Pens for the ECF.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

74. Danno says:

4-1 Habs. Skill and Speed Triumph over Truculence.
    Statement Sent In Fine Fashion

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs