About last night …

CelebrateWinn

Never in doubt, right?
OK, I’ve had my little joke.
For 40 minutes, your Montreal Canadiens’ crucial win over the Winnipeg Jets was very much in doubt.
But there were third-period heroics, and the upshot is there will be a hockey game at the Bell Centre next Tuesday.
The Canadiens having secured a spot in the upper tier of Eastern Conference playoff seedings, here’s a question for the Commentariat to chew over on Friday morning:
Should Andrei Markov play in Toronto on Saturday night?

He definitely could use a night off.

Markov played 21 games in the KHL  – with Chekhov Vityaz, which sounds like a theatre troupe. And through 47 NHL games, Markov is averaging in excess of 24 minutes and  looking more and more like Uncle Vanya.

Also, bad things happen to Markov at the Air Canada Centre, where he was cut by Carey Price’s skate blade and suffered his first knee injury when hit by Mikhail Grabovski, of all people.

The 4-2 win over the Jets put the Canadiens beyond the reach of Toronto. So Saturday’s game is not a showdown for home ice in the opening round.

I’d be tempted to rest Markov and Josh Gorges. I might even be tempted to start Peter Budaj.

Except for one factor: the Canadiens can still win the Northeast Division. And that might mean a more favourable opening-round match-up than the psychodrama that would ensue if they played Toronto.

On the postgame edition of L’Antichambre, Guy Carbonneau’s “manchette” was “Rien de convaincant encore.” Translation: the win over Winnipeg did not convince Carbo that the Canadiens have recovered from their late-season woes.

The Canadiens were bad in the first period and mediocre in the second, Carbo said. Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec was weak on two goals, and a dumb Too Many Men penalty created the 5-on-3 power play that produced David Desharnais’s winning goal.

Best aspect of the win for Carbo?

The play of Carey Price. The goaltender made saves – notably that amazing stop on Blake Wheeler’s breakaway – that kept the Canadiens in the game.

I liked Price, too. I also liked Lars Eller, Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk and Rene Bourque. During the third period, there were signs of life from the David Desharnais line after Michel Therrien made an in-game adjustment, switching Gallagher and Bourque.

On the back end, the Canadiens got another stud performance from P.K. Subban: 25 minutes, four shots on goal plus another five that were blocked. Jarred Tinordi played almost 16 minutes and had seven of the Canadiens 16 hits (nine others had one each; P.K. and Markov had none).

Raphael Diaz played 19:39, including 2:17 on a Canadiens’ penalty-kill that was 2-for-2 after being lit up during the team’s slump. Michel Therrien did not use Markov or Subban on the PK.

Tomas Plekanec’s line continued to struggle. Not much talk lately about whether the Canadiens will sign Michael Ryder this summer. He’ll need a strong playoff performance to make a case for a new contract … and I doubt it will be with the Canadiens.

The fourth line didn’t do much. Brandon Prust had one shot and no hits. He’s playing hurt and might be a candidate to be rested on Saturday …. the more so because the valiant Prust would probably have to drop ‘em with one of the Toronto thugs whom Randy Carlyle will dispatch to “set the tone” for the playoffs.

That’s why I’m glad home ice won’t be in the balance at the ACC. Coming on the heels of what we’ve been seeing for the past two weeks, the Canadiens being gooned out of fourth place on Saturday would be too much to bear.

I’m still with Carbo, standing skeptically beside the CH bandwagon.

The Canadiens have not beaten a playoff team since edging the Bruins 2-1 on April 6. That will be three weeks ago on Saturday.

But the franchise goaltender was good in New Jersey and Winnipeg.

And even through the slump, the young core of the team – to which we can now add Tinordi’s name – offered hope of a bright future for the franchise.

On to TO … and absolutely no pressure.

1. Prust for PM says:

First, dress at least 10 Bulldogs for Saturday’s game. Let Randy C. whine that he can’t injure 2-3 key Habs players. The Habs already have the vaunted home ice advantage. Trying to “match up” with opponents is a fools game. It would be poor team management to dress Markov, Plekenec, Prust, Frankie, or Price. Play all the Black Aces at least 15 minutes. Play Tinordi 20+ minutes.

Second, annoint Alexei Emelin as Canadiens’ 2013 MVP for starkly obvious reasons. I did enjoy Tinordi’s play last night, though.

Third, a note to Renaud Lavoie: The (simple) reason that Y. Weber didn’t play last night after 4 capable games is because he didn’t grow in that time interval. Add 2″ and/or 20 #’s and he would be in the lineup. Otherwise, he’s an AHL All-Star. No more. C’est la vie.

Cannonading drive!!

2. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Heading into the final game of the season leading the division. I’ll take that regardless of recent struggles.

Price was very solid last night. That’s a very good sign.

3. Psycho29 says:

Re: Schwartz’s

Grocery stores here (at least IGA) have started selling Schwartz’s Smoked Meat in boxes.
    Maybe not the same without the ambiance of the restaurant, but it might fix that craving. I’m not sure if it’s sold outside of Quebec.

4. Bill says:

Bripro, I think “don’t sit no one” is a valid construction. Not ideal syntax but I think it avoids double negative paradox, don’t you?

5. Skeptical says:

I don’t know if the Laffs will beat the Habs in the playoffs but. One thing I do know they won’t win the stanley cup. They have 4-teams that will see to that. Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago and Anaheim.

Unless there’s some up sits along the way. One of those teams will be taking the silverware home

• HFX-HabFan says:

It’s probably LA or Chicago coming out of the West…I wouldn’t be too surprised to see the Kings play for the Cup again. In the East, all teams will have to go through Pittsburgh, but with everyone healthy in the Penguins lineup, I don’t see anyone in the league winning a seven game series against the Pens.

• Habfan10912 says:

Could we remove Boston from the list and add LA?

• joeybarrie says:

The playoffs are completely different from the regular season. And for that reason alone (ignoring the poor play of late) is why I would be surprised to see a deep run.
      I would be pretty happy with the season overall to go to game 6 or 7 of the second round. I would be ecstatic to play and beat the leafs.
      But while this team has done well this season, and we could be in for a surprise… We live and die with Markov and Price. And Markie seems pretty tired.

• KenD29 says:

don’t see B’s getting beyond 2nd round. And Pens will be the team from the east.

All About Work Ethic

So is there a practice today? Or Habs are so good they don’t need no stinkin’ practice.

7. youngwun says:

Tinordi should stay with team no matter what now. He belongs and deserves the experience.
    It wouldn’t be a bad idea either to pair him with markov. But I don’t like the idea of bouillon and diaz on 3rd pairing, too small. And you can’t break up pk and gorges.

8. Bogie Man says:

All this talk about sitting players has got to stop. These guys are payed to play hockey and in a shortened season there is no time for sitting players every game is a must win! They will have July and Agust off to rest. The team that goes far into the playoffs will be the team with the most positive momentum. I see tomorrow’s night game as a must win and not an option to coast.

9. byrneoNL says:

So… this Newfie is flying all the way from St. John’s to attend game 2 at the Bell Centre next week. Where do all the highschool girls hang out in this town?

Kidding. Where is everyone going drinking after the game? =p

• The Jackal says:

LOL!

Ye olde orchard pub is great and really close to the bell centre.
      I think HIO folks like to go to Hurley’s pub on crescent, it’s a pretty decent Irish pub

Have fun! Habs will win :D

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Bripro says:

Pretty decent pub?
        They have Guinness, and they have Guinness and they have Guinness.
        Say no more.
        Unless of course, Burly or Front have something to contribute on the alcohol selection.
        Single malt and Guinness.
        For Front, you can probably add a reefer or two.

• The Jackal says:

Haha, man front is the glue that holds HIO together.
          And I meant decent in the best of ways, it is a good place but I have only been there one so I can’t say how good it is.

Ye olde orchard is my spot when I go to Montreal :D

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• byrneoNL says:

Oh cool, I’ve been to Hurley’s in the past a couple times. Haven’t been to Ye old Orchard tho. Where is Front?

10. Habfan10912 says:

All right guys, what did you do with Loonie? Perhaps he read where Timo sang the praises of Price and fainted.

11. Habitoban says:

Pouliot vs Ferrence. I know I’m probably a minority of one, but I sure wish we could have kept this guy … brain cramps and all. Cue the tripping jokes, 1, 2, 3 go!.

12. Chilly Willy says:

If the Habs sit some key players & use Budaj to destroy the Leafs Sat night, what message would that send to the Leafs?

13. jrshabs1 says:

Hockey Central at Noon on now..Millard wants the leafs to run the Habs out of the building tomorrow night. That’s the Toronto mentality regarding all things Habs. Future Habs are going to have match the leaf intensity when these 2 teams play; leafs want a pound of flesh and a 10-0 score every time they play the Habs. It’s time the Habs wanted the same. If Habs play the leafs in playoffs and get embarrassed I’m confident MB will make the necessary adjustments in the coming years.

Go Habs Go!!

14. johnnylarue says:

Missed the game last night–took a ‘therapy day’–but I’m glad to hear Tiny got the job done.

Who knew that the primary ingredient missing from our D corps since Yemmy’s injury was a big, physical D man who actually plays defence! Go figure.

• Timo says:

No one knew that, Johny. It takes an astute GM mind to figure that one out.

• Habfan10912 says:

Did a lot of flipping between games and the NFL draft last night. The game is being replayed on Center Ice now so I can watch more carefully. Tinordi at first glance looks like he belongs.

• Bripro says:

Jim, you took the time to watch the Big D draft?
        zzzzzzzz
        That had to be the least exciting draft in years.

• Habfan10912 says:

As if you didn’t already know Bri, I’m nuts. I have a picture in picture feature on my TV and I can watch another channel on my Kindle. My wife leaves the room.
          BTW- I agree with Ed. The flavor is in the fat. Just take an extra Lipitor and its the same as eating a vegetable.
          CHeers!

• The Jackal says:

Lol!

I will take a “therapy day” tomorrow night.
      Every time I watch the Habs play the laffs, they lose, so I am taking one for the team even though I know we will win tomorrow.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

15. habzfan2003 says:

Kadri: “I didn’t even know we were gonna go at it until I punched me square in the face. But that’s the game and sometimes you need to do stuff like that”

Translation: WAH WAH.. WAH WAH.. WAH WAH.. WAH.

From what I could tell, he didn’t really do anything besides try not to get hit pretty face hit.. minus the punch he threw when Fraser had already body slammed Petrovic to the ice.

16. habsfan0 says:

There are several schools of thought as to who the Habs should and shouldn’t play Saturday night.
    While 2nd place is there for the taking, I’m of the opinion that that goal should be secondary to resting players who definitely have shown fatigue over the last couple of weeks. Markov,Bouillon,Gorges,Prust are all players who will be counted on during the playoffs and should not play in the season finale. The risk of them getting injured is to be considered as well. I’d like to see MT use Ryan White in this game,as he will be eligible to play coming off his suspension. Also, start Peter Budaj in goal,just to give him some work and use Beaulieu as well to give him at least 1 more game of NHL experience before the playoffs.

If the Habs did finish 2nd, that would probably mean a 1st round matchup vs the Islanders,Rangers,or Senators, 3 teams who worry me a lot more than Toronto. The Rangers & Islanders have both been pretty hot lately, and with the addition of Erik Karlsson and possibly Jason Spezza to the Ottawa lineup,they look to be ready to make a run.

At any rate finishing 4th would probably,but not certainly, mean a Toronto Montreal 1st round pairing,something which hasn’t happened in the post season for 34 years. For these “Forever Rivals”, that is way too much time between dances. The entire country would be enthralled.

• johnnylarue says:

I’d definitely consider resting Markov and Prust (who is obviously playing injured), but if you take too many starters out of the lineup it will make Saturday’s game more difficult and potentially demoralizing for the guys suiting up.

Either you go full training camp mode and ice 8 Bulldogs players (which won’t happen) or else focus on resting the guys who really need it. I can see Prust getting the night off for sure. Unfortunately, I think Markov will play but hopefully Daigneault manages his minutes.

Wow. They were bashing home boy little Davey on l’antichambre last night. And Plekanec. Same thing – saying Pleks has consistently disappeared towards the end of the season and playoffs in last 5-6 seasons.

18. FB says:

Just wondering what the odds of round 1 game 7 (I got 2 game 7 tickets) being May 11th or 12th.

Game 1 – April 30th
    May 1st – Rihanna
    Game 2 – May 2nd
    Game 3 – May 4th?
    Game 4 – May 6th?
    Game 5 – May 8th?
    Game 6 – May 10th
    Game 7 – May 11th or 12th
    May 13th is Motley Crue.

Via has a $29.00 sale Toronto – Montreal (Early May 11 – May 13th are available) and has to be booked by today. I have no problem just spending a weekend in Montreal if game 7 never happens but IF it could be one of these days I’d like to be there. lol. Due to the sale tickets are non-refundable and can’t be changed.

19. DickandDanny says:

About last night: First off nice to see we had the heart and soul to come back in the third and finish off the Jets. That type of effort will go a long way in the play-offs. I thought Price looked much sharper last night and in the previous game also. If his head is in it we will go far. Now for the other side of things; Boullion, why again did we sign him to another year at rediculous money for a 3rd pairing D-man? That was a real nice giveaway he made after we cleanly win the draw back to him in our own end, which eventually is the direct cause leading to their second goal. And BTW if your going to stand and protect your goalie by the net perhaps you should be behind him somewhere near the goal line in a position to stop the puck from trickling in. Eller is once again reverting to his i want to do everything myself mode. My God pass the puck man. How many times did he cross their blue line and try and do something fancy and then coughed it up and caused a turn over. You can’t play like that in the NHL or you will get burned over and over again. Someone needs to have a long video session with this guy. Gorges, again the same thing i mentioned previoulsy. No hockey sense, no ability to move laterally with the puck, especially while manning the point in their end. His favourite play: look net shoot along boards into corner or behind the net. It never waivers. And it drives me crazy. No offensive upside in this guy at all. Play Kaberle, or Drewiski in his place. Another nice big body in Davis would look good out there especially after watching Tinordi single handidly out hit the rest of the team last night. We need another hitting D-man and Gorges ain’t that guy. Maybe Davis is? At least with Kaberle in Gorges place we get some puck movement and offensive skill. Either way they are an improvement over Gorges and we will need evrything we can use starting next week.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

• johnnylarue says:

Hint: Post this again with some paragraph breaks and MAYBE someone will read it.

• Habfan10912 says:

Your description of Boullion’s contract as having ridiculous money is incorrect. 1.5 million for a #6 or #7 dman is a comfortable rate. In addition, your description of Eller’s play could not be further from the truth. Lars has been one of the teams best defensive forwards and he continues to make his linemates better. There isnothing selfish about his game.

• Bripro says:

“Play Kaberle or Drewiski in his place”…..?
      Call me. I’ll give you my optometrist’s number.

20. The Dude says:

Don’t sit no one! Enough of the babysitting of rich primadonna athletes and let the cards fall where they may.That way next year the changes if need be will be made,period!
    Last night Price was good but if the Jets didn’t fold in the 3rd ” let down no playoff blues’ then they would of won the game.

• KenD29 says:

I would tend to agree with you. However Markov and Gorges could use the night off. Especially given the good chance they will be facing the Leafs in the first round who play a physical game. As for the notion of giving Subban a night off, this guy can play. Put in Drewiski and I would even consider dressing Kaberle for tomorrow night.
      I would give Prust the night off. As he is the only one who is willing to drop em and is playing hurt, no need to have him a target in tomorrow’s game only to end up losing him for the playoffs.
      We need him on Tuesday night more than tomorrow.

All About Work Ethic

• Bripro says:

“Don’t sit no one!” You really want MT to sit everyone? Double negative. Just wondering.

21. commandant says:

Gauthier was fantastic for Canada today.

Now only if he did that every game.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

22. Say Ash says:

If Tinordi were called up when Emelin went down, we’d already have 2nd place locked up, no?

• commandant says:

No, I don’t think last night was all on Tinordi. I saw a bunch of players play better than they did during the slump.

As well as Tinordi played, there was team effort there. Yes he’s an improvement on Weber, no doubt there.

Gorges looked better, Diaz is finding his game. Subban back close to his Norris form. Price was excellent. Plekanec was better backchecking. The whole team woke up.

Your best players need to be your best players… a 6th D doesn’t turn around a whole team like that.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• jrshabs1 says:

Price seems to play well behind Tinordi. Maybe big people moving D is the mental edge Price needs to play well. We will see.

Go Habs Go!!

23. punkster says:

The game tomorrow against the Loafs is not as important as the game next Tuesday no matter who we play.

Rest Marky and Prusty…give Petey the start…let a couple of call ups set any tone that needs to be set.

If you’re worried about Loaf gooning then dress Whitey…could be his last game in a Habs sweater so whatever he does simply won’t matter.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• KenD29 says:

bang on. Habs will need Prust Tuesday more than tomorrow. No point in having him out there being targeted especially given he is hurt.
      Anyone on the BullDogs that can fill this role that can be brought up for tomorrow’s game? If yes, I would strongly consider it.

All About Work Ethic

• HankHardball says:

If Habs win on Sat. night, they won’t see the Leafs again til next season. That’s what the Habs should be playing for.

24. HankHardball says:

It’s about fire in the belly. It’s about competitiveness. It’s about the desire to be the best you can be. Winners have it.

If you’re coach, how do you think your players will react if you had a shot at 2nd seed, and the prestige and perks that go with it. But passed out of fear of injuries?

They’d react like Peyton Manning did when Jim Caldwell passed on the Colts perfect season. Caldwell lost his team that day. And never got them back.

Is that the kind of message you want Therrien to send to his players? Somehow I think Therrien knows better.

25. GuyDoon says:

Personally, I would most definitely sit Markov and Prust tomorrow, because just as sure, the Leafs will target them with goonery. Markov’s had bad Jujumagumbo at the ACC. Sit him. And Prust will hurt himself trying to right the wrongs.

26. ed says:

Bripro, if you get a chance to go back to Schwartz’s, just tell the waiter you want your sandwich “lean, very lean”. hahaha!!

Seriously, they will cut off the fat and you can enjoy!

for the rest of you, the fat is the best part, so please ignore this post.

’72, carnotzel is like a salami that is left unrefridgerated and dried. very tasty indeed!

27. habzfan2003 says:

@ Danno:

Agreed.. Kadri is such a f-in prick.. Mr. tough guy… I’m still furious on the way he was mouthing off to Gallagher and the way he hit him when he didn’t even have the puck… No penalty called on that mind you… Shocker! I sincerely hope Subban catches him with a “Big Crunch” cutting across center. The likes of which KFC has never seen/can only dream about producing.

I can’t remember now but was Subban’s entry in the NHL during the playoffs? Or was he brought in earlier that season?

29. mark-ID says:

So IMO it is beginning to look more and more like the one trophy winner for the Habs this year might be Gallagher for rookie of the year.

He is 3rd in points, two behind both Huberdeau and Conacher.
    He is tied in goals for with Huberdeau. He has played in less games then both the players mentioned above. I think the big stat that stands out to me is his plus-7 rating compared to Huberdeau’s minus-16!

According the experts the knock on Gallagher is he doesn’t get used in as many big situations as Huberdeau. Also that he is on a better team. The problem with the latter argument is that it is in fact Gallagher who makes his teammates better, and not the other way around.

If there is one individual trophy handed out to a Hab this year, I really hope it is the Calder.

• Seps says:

Subban for Norris? Isn’t that our given…

• mark-ID says:

Well I’m not so sure the writers will give it to him. Letang is only 2 points back and he has played quite a few less games. I just get a feeling PK will get shafted for the same lame excuses that he isn’t used enough minutes thus important enough for this team. He comes with a reputation as we all know.

I hope I’m wrong.

After our most recent slide, I think the Jack Adams might go to Maclean in Ottawa.

• Seps says:

Yeah Letang also plays with Croz, Neal, Malkin, Iggy, that has to come into play you’d think, because his numeros are inflated. Whereas Subban is the main driver on the Habs, and much better at actual defense than Letang. I’d argue Hart for Subban too but that’ll never happen.

I’ve heard Oates has a really good shot at it over both MacLean and Therrien. If the Habs finish in 2nd it will be very interesting.

• in habs we trust says:

the poll on tsn has Randy C. wining the jack adams.

“R” Habs

• mark-ID says:

The thing with Oates is, the Caps were actually supposed to be a decent/good team this year. In a sense the start of the season was probably more due to just learning the system/slow start.
            I think Therrien would deserve the Adams over Oates 10 times out of 10 this year. Plus we still finished with more points then them.
            Ultimately I think this slump might hurt Therrien’s chances. But who knows, we shall see.

• Blondemon says:

I think they don’t tend to givbe trophies to guys who have missed many games, unless their numbers are staggering like Mario or Gretz. So I like Subban.

If we win the division, Therrien should be a lock for the Adams. A 4th place finish makes it tougher, given Boudreau’s accomplishment in Anaheim (even though I think MT is a much, much better coach).

Definitely Gally for the Calder as he has been huge for his team, unlike Huberdeau and Conacher who haven’t brought success to their sides. Conacher was traded too, so that should dampen his chances.

• aroma says:

The Norris could end up costing the team an extra million per when the new contract is negotiated. That in turn could mean a huge difference in terms of acquiring free agents, etc.

• Danno says:

Therrien may still capture the Adams, but only if he goes all the way. Otherwise it’s Maclean

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• savethepuck says:

I hope the Conn Smythe is an individual award given to a Hab too.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Blondemon says:

Best trophy around, better than the Hart even.

Oddly enough, on three occasions that the Habs won it all, the losing team’s best player got the Conn Smythe (that always bugs me). Roger Crozier in ’66, Glenn Hall in ’68, and Reggie Leach in ’76.

30. Sportfan says:

I may have mentioned this earlier but to those who don’t know Bud Selig steps down after next season so there’s one annoying MLB factor gone and out of the way of Montreal.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

31. Hey guys I know you all know this but before you buy tickets from a guy who signed up today, please make sure he can walk you to the gate and get you in before passing out money to any new member who no one knows…….so easy to make tickets look legit!

But that’s just me :)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

32. greenfield says:

I guess it comes down to who you want to play.

If it’s me, I rest four or five guys and win or lose, hope we play the Leafs. The Isles with JT scare me, and Ottawa with Karlsson back in the lineup, are a much more talented team than the Leafs. Also, Reimer has no playoff experience.

• donmarco says:

There are no easy first round matchups. Which is why it’s everyone’s favourite round. I care a lot more about how we’re playing, not who we’re playing.

33. Blondemon says:

For me, Gallaghers’s qualities were encapsulated in one sequence last night in the 3rd. He all but steamrolls over Byfuglien by the side of the net, to easily separate him from the puck. Then he makes an amazing kick pass to Eller or Galchy, I forget who. Then after the rebound, he gathers the puck and rifles a Rocket-like backhand high on Pavelec. This kid is the real deal.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I remember that sequence and thought, I hope that line stays together for awhile. Eller, Gally and Gallagher could become one heck of a line in the second season.

• Blondemon says:

I’m as big an Eller-basher as they come, but the kid impressed me last night, and has a few games this season. If he can simplify, not hold on to the puck forever, hit the net more, and bury at least 5-10% more of his shots, he’s a stud. But I liked the kid line too last night. Still, long term Galchy and Eller need to be separated as they are both natural centres.

• Seps says:

To seperate them that requires DD as 4th line centre which won`t happen. Chucky situation looking more and more like Seguin on Boston. Natural centre, ends up playing wing because they have too much depth at centre.

• Blondemon says:

You’re right, we have lots of centre depth. I rate Galchy higher than Seguin, but that (Boston) line is dynamite this year, the only one that gave us constant fits in our games against them

• CalgaryHab says:

I re-wound that to that sequence at the next stop of play just to make sure I saw that correctly. It was awesome.

• aroma says:

Does Gallagher remind anyone of Dougie Gilmour?

It’s play off hockey time, Canadian Teams against American Teams, but we got stronger beer and more!! Take a look at our Nation song!

35. mark-ID says:

I know Toronto gets outshot alot, but they were outshot 34-17 last night in their 4-0 win over Florida….?!? what?

As much as I hate the Leafs and do think they are over-rated…..I am getting more and more nervous for Saturday and having to face them in the playoffs. The two blowouts they had over us have gotten to me I think. Mind you we did beat the 5-2….and the two blowouts, Price was definately off his game. I feel like that is a good sign.

I live in Ottawa so luckily there aren’t too many Leafers to get on my case if they win, but still……it isn’t fun! They keep telling me how much the Habs suck, because the only time the seem them play were during the blowouts this year, UGH

• Seps says:

Being outshot that badly by Florida is flatout embarrassing regardless of the result. You don’t go far in the playoffs with games like that, unless Reimer pulls a Giguere/Kipper, which I doubt.

36. Bripro says:

ALRIGHT!
    The playoffs begin. And in that euphoric spirit, here’s my first rendition of
    “All the way into June”, Part 1.

I’m gonna see a freight train at the Bell Centre, Lord
    I don’t care where it goes
    Gonna climb the stands now, the highest view point, Lord
    And gonna sound off, and us fans are gonna show

Can’t you see, oh, can’t you see,
    What this season, Lord
    Has been doin’ to me
    Can’t you see, oh, can’t you see
    What Habs hockey’s been doin’ to me

They’re gonna find a five hole where to score,
    B’s gonna crawl inside and die
    ’Cause our heroes, now a mean playin’ team, Lord
    Never will say goodbye

Can’t you see, oh, can’t you see,
    What this season, Lord
    Has been doin’ to me
    Can’t you see, oh, can’t you see
    What Habs hockey’s been doin’ to me

I’m gonna buy me a ticket as many as I can,
    To watch Stanley comin’ back
    Team’s gonna take the glory-bound,
    All the way to finals now,
    ‘Till the team does bring it back

Can’t you see, oh, can’t you see,
    What this season, Lord
    Has been doin’ to me
    Can’t you see, oh, can’t you see
    At the parade now, watching out for Stanley

37. savethepuck says:

I just logged on and read some comments. What’s all this “rest everybody” BS? We have a legitimate chance to win the Northeast. There is no organization in hockey that would settle for 4th with a legitimate chance at 2nd. They owe it to their owner and their fans to guarantee home ice in the first 2 rounds. I don’t get why so many are willing to hand the Bruins the division. The Habs lose 3 in a row, and everyone thinks they have no shot, but the Bruins can do the same thing, and they are still ” a legitimate Cup contender” in most people’s eyes. I don’t understand the logic.
    If we win tomorrow ( even in a shootout ) , the Bruins need 3 points in 2 games;
    -the Bruins are playing terrible of late
    -the Bruins have sucked all year on the 2nd game of back to backs
    -the Caps and Sens are not shitty hockey teams
    This is the same as when most assumed the Bruins would pass us when they had 3 games in hand.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• Seps says:

I absolutely agree, it’s the logic of Habs fans. The same logic that a goalie is supposed to steal every game. The same logic that we’re out in 4. The same logic that we should’ve went for the draft pick this year.

Now that isn’t all of us but the ones who’d disagree with your post likely. I think there’s a very good chance the Bruins lose atleast one of those games, and a first round match up against the Rangers or Isles would be very preferable to let us get our feet underneath us again and have a relatively easy first round.

• savethepuck says:

I wish the Habs would get the same respect as the Bruins from some fans. I hate the Bruins, and when they suck, I’m proud to say “They suck”.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
        Carey Price

• Seps says:

Well in terms of respect Boston has a lot of players still from their Cup win (excuse me while I vomit), and have made the playoffs for a bunch of consecutive years so their respect is well-earned. Habs will get that respect after a long run this year.

38. frontenac1 says:

Drewiskie is vital for the Gods of Mojo. He didn’t play but was present for every game of the King”s Victorious March for the Cup last year. He will be present again. Saludos!

39. bwoar says:

It’s just my opinion, but I’m not interested in the standings in the least.

I’d have all the kids play: Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Pateryn, (removing Markov & Subban from last night’s lineup), and then ice Bournival, Leblanc, and Nokelainen. Plekanec out, Prust out, Pacioretty out. Dumont-White-Moen on the 4th line. Hell, wanna drop Mayer or Tokarski in net? Go right ahead.

We’re in the playoffs. Taking a chance on the last game of the season at ACC isn’t worth it with Toronto sure to be on their “best” behaviour.

“thoroughbred”

40. Ron says:

Two names I don’t want to hear for tomorrows game being on the ice are CHRIS LEE and TIM PEEL. If both or either are assigned this game then it will be apparent the league wants the laffs every opportunity to weaken the Habs before Tuesdays faceoff. Just would be a sickening feeling to know your down before the puck drops.

• savethepuck says:

Those are definitely 2 guys I would agree with resting tomorrow night

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

41. Cardiac says:

My opinion? You don’t rest anyone! You rest between Saturday night and Tuesday night. These are professional athletes and their bodies are not like yours or mine.

Furthermore, if you rest Markov, Prust or whoever… come playoff time they are going to be targets despite who we play against. Fresh blood in water full of sharks…

– Jerry Maguire

42. jon514 says:

Holly schnikees! Guess which center has the most assists of any center on the Canadiens?

I’ll give you a hint, he get’s less ice time than both Plekanec and Desharnais!

43. Psycho29 says:

So how was the climate in here last night; especially with the Habs down 1-0 and 2-1?
    Was it the usual live blog trolling????

44. donmarco says:

While I agree with many posters on the need to rest Markov, Gorges, and for his own good, Prust, there’s a valid argument for MT to put his A team out there and go for the win. First it puts pressure on Boston to earn at least 3 points to finish second as we win the tiebreaker. Second, Boston would not be able to rest many of their starters on Sunday. Third, finishing second guarantees we’ll only play the Penguins in the final, should either team go that far. There’s an equally valid argument for Toronto to rest a number of their starters as their worst case scenario would be to have Ottawa finish ahead of them, and I think the Leafs would be just as happy or happier playing Washington versus Montreal or Boston.

Time to get pumped for playoffs everyone.

Okay, so lots of rest this guy, don’t rest those guys chatter on here this morning, I am guilty of the same. Soooo, question is, what do you think MT will actually do? Not what you may want, but rather what will MT actually do with the lineup tomorrow?

• ed says:

Gerald, after watching his team fold like a cheap lawn chair these past 7 games, Therrien needs to build off this win, and set the tone for a “playoff ready” team.

Habs are not playoff ready yet. It would be stupid to think otherwise.

So Therrien has no choice but to go full board, full lineup.

I suspect you are right Ed. I just worry Prust gets in a donnybrook and rips that shoulder apart.

CHeers bud, is there a greater sports feeling than watching our Habs going into playoffs? I realize we are a longshot, coming off a slump, but I am on cloud 9 my friend. So wish I was in Montreal right now soaking it all in.

• ed says:

Prust must NOT FIGHT. No fights. NONE!!

That is playing right into the Leaf’s plan, and we should skate away and laugh at them.

We can’t fight these guys. it’s bad strategy.

• Blondemon says:

Prust did pretty well against McLaren last time. And the surest sign of his excellent performance was that CBC never showed any replays of it

• Chuck says:

My thoughts exactly. Full lineup, then manage minutes within the game.

___________________________________________________

• wjc says:

Ed, baloney….he rests Markov, Boulion, Plekancs, and maybe Gallagher and Price for sure.

He plays Tinorti, Webber, White if he can play, and couple of other spare parts…..he might rest Prust as well.

You should not risk injury and be ready for Tuesday.

All teams that got in took a bit of a dip….Boston, Pittsburgh to name two.

wjc

• Bripro says:

There is a very small chance of the Habs finishing second overall.
      But given that Prust is hurt, Gorges and Marky are out of gas, I say let the gang from the Bulldogs have their run at the Laffs tomorrow.
      It will gauge if this young energy can have an immediate impact or not.
      It’s a little late to say the future of these kids is here now, but let them have one day of taste, even against Carlyle and his goon machine.
      And this will afford the “old vets” a much needed rest before next tuesday’s launch, which will take us…..

…. all the way into June! You heard it here first (ok, maybe second…)

• ed says:

why do you start with a flawed premise that there’s a “small” chance to finish second?

We beat the Leafs.

Bruins need 3 out of 4 points to pass us.

that’s not a “small chance” at all.

• Bripro says:

What?
          They’re tied with us with an extra game in hand.
          And they have one more victory.
          One point or even two might not be enough.

• ed says:

If we beat the leafs it would only take 1 regulation loss by Boston in their last 2 games and we win the division.

Commandant’s post below

• Blondemon says:

Bripro, if we finish tied for pts with the Bs, we get the nod on account of more non-shootout wins. Total overall wins is not the tiebreaker.

• Bripro says:

I understand that guys.
            But the odds are still in the Bs favour.
            Trust me, I’d love nothing better than have the team start in 2nd.
            But if so, they’ll probably play the Islanders.
            And given the way Tavares and company have been playing, as well as the goonish style of hockey the Laffs play, I would rather the team be well-rested, because either way, the first round won’t be easy.

• Blondemon says:

Not so small, but I would say about 33% chance.

47. magnifikko says:

Sorry to post this here but i want my tickets to go to a habs fan, i got 2 tickets for game 1, i intrested pm me

48. Danno says:

Nazeem Kadri is a punk and a puke. He’s a cheap-shot artist who hides behind the Laffs goons.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• wjc says:

Let the name calling begin.

wjc

• J Haul says:

I wish Petrovic had been left alone to fill him in. He, like Marchand, needs a good whippin’. Nothing worse than pretend “tough guys”.

• Blondemon says:

I don’t hate the kid, I just hate that Don Cherry seems to get a chub every time he so much as gets an assist.

But Kadri took some quality hits on some of our guys, I think he levelled Eller for one. I didn’t know he was that strong. And I don’t think one YT vid proves he’s dirty.

That said, Soobie should beat him up, then beat up Marchand.

• wjc says:

Imagine what the Leaf fans think of Gallagher.

wjc

• ZepFan2 says:

The fact you compare Gallagher to that puke Kadri makes my stomach turn.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
          Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Blondemon says:

Granted, Kadri is not as angelic looking as Gally, but be sure Leafs fans see a demigod in that face, as sure as they will be seeing the Grim Reaper in Gally’s face Saturday night, and possibly Tuesday and beyond.

• ZepFan2 says:

I’d agree only if Gally played like a punk. He doesn’t. Kadri not only plays like a punk, he hides behind the big boys while being a punk. Gallagher does none of that garbage.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
            Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

Is this the same “Habs turned the corner” thing that you were all saying after the Tampa game? Just askin’.

• Loonie says:

This game was so much better than the Tampa or New Jersey game Timo.

I don’t think the Jets would have had a scoring chance if Bouillon and Markov sat that one out.

• Timo says:

Sadly Habs don’t have anyone to play instead of Bouillon and Markov, thanks to the genius GM who went there and got Drewiske.

How Serge missed your resume during the GM search is beyond me Timo. I wish you better luck on the next go around. :)

• Bripro says:

Before you go venturing there, let me ask you.
          If I had told you last summer that this team would be 2nd or 4th overall at the end of this regular season, would you have sent me to see a shrink?
          Then why are you complaining?

• Psycho29 says:

Because it’s what he does.
            I’m sure if it was 1976-77 he’d be complaining about our 8 losses this season and how this group of bums ain’t going nowhere in the playoffs.

• Timo says:

My answer to you would have been the same as to any other “argument” about going from dead last to 4th. Does it give Habs the Cup? No? Then it doesn’t matter.

And I am complaining becuase Bergevin had a chance to make this team a lot better than it is right now and instead he chose “my work here is done for this season” kind of attitude.

• derfab says:

Agree on Bergevin. He has done a good job rallying them to start but has since choked. Getting rid of Cole was not a tragedy but Ryder is the wrong kind of replacement. They needed muscle then and need it more now. The vets play like they no longer believe.

• Timo says:

I don’t think vets care. Is it a coincidence that all 3 – Gorgers, Moen and DD – started to suck as soon as they signed those ridiculous contracts?

• alfieturcotte says:

I agree. I blame our GM more than coach for the recent slide. He should have picked up at a minimum O’Byrne for a 4th rounder who is playing a solid 15-20 for the Leafs. I would have used him with Tinordi or Markov. Drewiskie is useless and he paid a 5th rounder for him. I would have felt better going into the playoffs with these pairings Subban/Diaz; Tinordi/O’Byrne; Markov/Gorges….

• Blondemon says:

I agree with you that the Cup should be the objective every time. But I don’t think Bergie could have gotten the quality D guys you would like without mortgaging the future. I think both Beaulieu and Tinordi will impress this spring and will make the team in the fall and be our D’s backbone (with Soobie) for many years to come.

• wjc says:

Pretty big corner….you sure ask a lot of questions. You must be the designated stirrer.

wjc

50. Danno says:

The Leafs are over-confident and cocky. They are in for a rude awakening as they fall down to earth to be raked, bagged and put to the curb for disposal.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Chuck says:

Don’t forget ‘mulched’.

___________________________________________________

• habs-fan-84 says:

Their fans are over-confident and cocky, I’m not sure about the actual players on the team though.

• Blondemon says:

I agree, they seem calm and poised, even youngsters like Kadri. Pretty professional. I can’t stand them, but they seem to have an unassuming confidence about them that some of our guys lack. That said, not all the Leafs are like this. And Kessel is very streaky, he can easily lay an egg in an entire playoff series.

51. Guy-Guy-Guy says:

F it. Can we rest all our veterans / key players and call up as many goons as we have in the farm system? Blunden, Conboy, White ect? Nothing to gain or lose in that game anyways, except for injuries.

Would make for a fun night saturday… You just know the leafs will have their knees and elbows out all evening.

• wjc says:

Nobody is going to goon it up, will be a hard skating, hitting game. Maybe a fight or not. This is a nothing game for both teams.

You injure Leaf players and you would be pounded on Tuesday and Thursday. Cannot play that game unless you plan to keep them particular players in for the whole series.

Win or lose, both will have reasons why.

wjc

52. AllHailTheFlower says:

I definitely believe that Prust needs to be left off the roster for the final game to give his shoulder a little more time to heal, and Markov could probably use the time off as well.

What I would like to see (and it may be a bit risky) is for Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher to go head-to-head with Khadri’s line and for Eller & Gallagher to exact a little payback for the last game. I think it would be good to have them owning some prime real estate in Khadri’s head should the two teams meet up in the playoffs!

53. Loonie says:

The Leafs have absolutely nothing to play for Saturday night. Zip, zilch.

Start Budaj, sit Markov, Gorges, Prust and Gallagher. Replace them with Weber, Beaulieu, Blunden and White.

They’ve already proven they have the Habs’ “number” so far this season. I don’t think they’ll have the same intensity they usually do tomorrow.

I think the Habs will win tomorrow. And ultimately the division. Washington will want a strong performance tomorrow and Boston hasn’t been good on the road.

The Senators will be hard after sixth place to get that Capitals match up when they play the Bruins on Sunday. I don’t think the Bruins can come out of that back to back set with three points.

• ed says:

,I am thinking the exact opposite. haha!!

If the Leafs have nothing to play for, let’s play them hard, with a strong finish to our season, and try and get some momentum on our side.

If we play a full lineup and win, we could easily finish 2nd, which is much better for us.

If we play a full lineup, all out energy and playoff style, and still lose, well at least we will have brought our game up to the playoff level we NEED IT TO BE.

Like I said. Compete different philosophy.

• The Jackal says:

Agree, but the laffs do NOT have our “number.” They’ve lucked out, and I hope we shown them that they do not want to wish to play us in the playoffs.
      I hope we win big tomorrow.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• JF says:

You keep saying the Leafs have been lucky all season. I think it’s more realistic to say they’ve been good on more nights than not. Not that they don’t have weaknesses, but they’re a decent team and dangerous offensively. They’re routinely outshot, but make the most of their chances, and their goaltending has been solid. Reimer has a better save percentage than Price. I hope our guys are not thinking the Leafs have been lucky; that attitude smacks of taking them lightly.

• The Jackal says:

No way, the laffs suck.
          They have weaknesses
          Their D is suspect, their goaltending is not as good as the numbers show – Reimer sucks at tracking the puck and gives up rebounds, you just need to have guys ready to pounce.
          The laffs offense collapses when it does not get its lucky shots.
          They don’t push the play, get a few early goals and they are toast.
          They are a decent team but they have succeeded because of better than average puck luck.
          Habs are the better team, better goaltending, D, and offense. They just need to go come out strong and push the play and the laffs will fold.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Loonie says:

Reimer is in my opinion among the worst goalies in the league who more than anything related to the Leafs or its other players, has been the luckiest.

He literally doesn’t see the puck. It’s just another shot when he’s looking in the opposite direction for it.

He more than them or any of their other players will be exposed soon.

• The Jackal says:

For sure, I hope those laffs get destroyed on Saturday night.
            GO HABS!!!

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• JF says:

I think Price should play. He’s only played two good games since his slump, and needs to know going into the playoffs that he’s on top of his game.

Markov and Prust should sit. Markov needs the rest, and Prust seems not to be 100%. Plekanec could also use a rest.

54. frontenac1 says:

Play to win. Put in Moen and tell him it is the playoffs and put Whitey in there too with the strict instruction that the only acceptable penalty is a Five Minute Fighting.

• wjc says:

Please, forget fighting, just play and rest players and if you lose, it was because you didn’t have your first stringers.

You forget the Leafs might rest some players as well and just get ready for Tuesday.

It might be the flattest game of the season with nothing on the line.

Canadiens have 4th…..leafs have 5th….that is not changing.

wjc

55. The Jackal says:

What is this fear about the laffs?
    They are a lucky team that has gotten by on chance and opportunity.
    They are not good at possession and still rely on their lucky shooting.
    Last night they beat Florida…. the worst team in the East. TB man-handled the laffs.
    We’ve dominated them and gotten unlucky, that’s all it is.
    We’re the better team and we would win a series, no doubt.

When things tighten up and laffs don’t get as good scoring chances, the game gets more physical, little pansy Kessel and company will fold, laffs will try to goon it up and fail.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Alex_425 says:

Or we continue to be unlucky throughout the series and they end up eliminating us, even if we dominate the games.

But I’m no expert….

• The Jackal says:

Don’t fear the leafers, we’re the better team.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Alex_425 says:

Maybe I’m just overreacting, but I can’t help it, I’m thoroughly terrified of the Laffs for the first round.

But I’m no expert….

• toneez says:

We may be the better team , and they may be a detestable team but its the playoffs , anything can happen and usually does … so we better fear them,last thing I want to see is cocky Laffs Fans mocking us because they eliminated us , having said that, nothing would make me happier than for us to complately annhilate them in the playoffs , like they did in those 2 bad games we played against them , one way or another realistically speaking a Playoff series with the Habs against the Laffs will be intense and definately entertaining …

All Habs all the Time

• HAB-PROFESSOR says:

we beat them by skating faster, puck possession and cancelling out their stars (kessel didnt have a stat)…their goons didn’t even bother trying to mix it up as we totally outclassed them..

they beat us by intimidation, slapping us out, taking Gallagher off his game, out skating us, and having that quick breakout/turnover rushes, along with some mistakes from Price.

we need to play our game, SPEED…make no doubt the leafs are a quick team, but only when their goons open up the space.

we cannot have Kadri pulling his cowardly stunts against our super kids..what we saw the other night with Petrovic was sickening, and that cherry better rectify that insult to the game by Kadri.

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…
      GALLAGHER = FUTURE HAB CAPTAIN

• The Jackal says:

Someone should punch Kadri in the mouth and tell him to stop being a punk.
        I hate the laffs.

If the laffs were a person, and laff person was in a room with bin laden and hitler, and I have a gun with only 2 bullets, I’d shoot the laffs twice.

And before anyone goes nuts about that it’s just a modified quote from The Office, courtesy of Michael Scott and his hate for Toby.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• wjc says:

Lucky, lucky, lucky, keep telling yourself that. Any team can beat any team on any given night. Leafs will play a physical game and the habs will play a speed game and hopefully the powerplay is humming.

Boxer vrs fighter…….boxer does not try to outhit the fighter, he boxes him and doesn’t give him to much to hit.

Habs have to have Price on, the power play working and their skating game sharp.

The leafs are big and physical and can wear you down after a while, so you have to be smart and play your game and frustrate them.

wjc

56. Sportfan says:

Sit Markov Gorges Prust and Price let them rest although I rather we didn’t play the maple leafs in the first round.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• wjc says:

Well you have to play somebody and there are no easy teams that I can see. They can all play a style that could beat you.

If Canadiens are sharp and don’t get hurt, the Leafs are as good a team to start with rather than Washington, Boston, Pittsburgh, Rangers.

wjc

57. Danno says:

Bennet open net

Canada beats Finland 3-1 and advances to gold-medal match U18

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

58. Sportfan says:

So did we win cause we started to play well or did we Win cause the Jets gave up when they were officially eliminated?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• RonC says:

I was at the game last night & you could be partly right about the Jets letting up in the 3rd period … but they (Jets) didn’t give it to the Habs … the Jets took 2 silly penalities, giving the Habs a 5 on 3 & the rest is history. By the way Price was pretty good last night.

Winnipeg Habsfan

59. Xsteve50 says:

Is it just me or did I see a TV commercial announcing a Toronto/Montreal matchup? Did the networks forget that Montreal can still finish first? Guess the powers that be in Toronto can not imagine any other possibilities.

60. habs-fan-84 says:

I want 2nd place in the conference. Play hard tomorrow night, blow the Leafs out and there’s a very good chance we finish behind Pittsburgh.

Giddy up!

61. habby72 says:

Im not sold on yesterday’s game. Apparently Winnepeg knew going into the 3rd that their playoff hopes were dead. Winn came out flat in the 3rd and MTL took advantage of some pretty brutal goaltending. On the bright side Price strung together 2 solid performances in a row, if not for him the game would have been out of reach after 2 periods.

62. habssince1909 says:

It is imperative that we collectively get together as fans and send all of our positive energy to the team. I know this may sound corny, but I do believe that all the negativity does not help – so as the season ends, and the new playoff season begins ….. GO HABS GO !!

63. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’m thinking it will be the Bulldogs vs. the Marlies Saturday night. Heh.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• commandant says:

So no Bulldogs lineup. You do what Herm Edwards would do.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Alex_425 says:

Wouldn’t Boston still have one more in the W column if that were to happen?

But I’m no expert….

• Blondemon says:

I think the first tie-breaker is non-shootout wins of which the Habs have more. Let’s go boys, take the division title, our second in 6 seasons, the other being a conference title.

• cicada says:

I think Montreal takes second over Boston if they are tied because Montreal has more Regulation and Overtime wins. Shoot out wins aren’t counted to break the tie.

• commandant says:

Montreal and Boston both have the same number of wins.

If Montreal wins 1 game, and Boston wins one game. We are still tied.

We have 1 more ROW. Best Boston could do is tie this category (assume our win vs TO is shootout).

Even then, the 2nd tie breaker would be head to head. We’d own that too.

Simple. If we beat Toronto, and Boston loses 1 game in regulation, we get the division.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The “heh” means I’m not that serious. Try it sometime. heh.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

64. habstrinifan says:

The question of who to rest is so obvious. You not resting ouuta fear but outta sound preparedness for the playoffs.

You rest Markov.. plain and simple to give him a break.
    Then you rest Prust and Plekanec. Prust is hurting (??) and Plekanec needs a pre-playoff rest and mental readiness.

You play Price.. no questions and tell him the score DOES NOT matter. Just technique; focus and resilience. Playoff determination.

And you insert mandatory Drewitske and mandatory Blunden or White.Definitely not Dumont or Beaulieu. While they are good, they are not what you need NOW. They wont let you find out anything about playoff structure of your team.

Drewitske and Tinordi while you dont pair them together you give them lots and lots of minutes. Heck you may even find out if you could pair them together a bit.

Order them not to go looking for fight but be calm and rugged in the D-Zone and take people out by using the boards. You’re in our zoone.. you gonna be slammed against the boards and you aint going no where. Old time checking.
    You keep driving it home.. cause you want two D-MEN with size and height and defensive checking focus.. going into the playoffs.
    And same goes to Blunden or White. You want to see a Gainey type checking out there. No need to fight. Just play a sound strong body-contact game.

The score doesnt matter. The type of game does for Saturday. And if you do it well and execute it well then you have your blueprint for the playoffs.
    Plain and Simple.
    And oh yeah.. DD/Bourque/Pacioretty on one line.

• HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I agree, except for Dumont, he has shown some great hustle and grit.

Let me echo what you said, that WHITE, MOEN, BLUNDEN, DREW and some other tough callups from the bulldogs should be in the lineup against T.O… with rest to Markov and Prust

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…
      GALLAGHER = FUTURE HAB CAPTAIN

65. smiler2729 says:

If you are going to be in a playoff with Toronto, wouldn’t it make sense to set the tone on Saturday night – ESPECIALLY after the stinkers we’ve played vs. the Laffs this season??

I’d dress 7 D giving Markov PP duty only, rest Prust and dress our resident gung-ho-psycho Ryan White with instructions to hit anything in blue & white.

I can guarantee NOT one player wants the night off as good as press box popcorn is.

As for the playoff expectations, remember the long term vision that Bergie has, chances are this isn’t a Cup winning team (but goofier things have happened).

Just don’t embarrass us…

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Will White be eligible to play on Saturday? I hope you’re right cuz I’d play him too!

• HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I would never take WHITE out of the lineup…that said he will be targeted by the multiple heavy weights that T.O. has in their lineup…

only PRUST can counter those animals…. remember PRUST, although not a true ‘Heavy’ is respected big in the league, he has gone against all (remember Lucic)…because he is a fighter and a great hockey player.

the way he handled Mclaren (leafs) by pulling him and getting him off balance then landing punches was classic…those big goons actually fear a seasoned smart fighter.

The N.A.G. (North American Grit) effect is the only path to success…
      GALLAGHER = FUTURE HAB CAPTAIN

66. ABHabsfan says:

Conspiracy theory of the day, Boston would rather Mtl takes the division as the Bruins would rather get TO in the first round than NYR.

“man, I love winnin'; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Alex_425 says:

I don’t think so. If the playoffs were solely about gooning it up, sure, the Bruins would love to face Toronto, as nobody can goon it up better than Da Brooins.

I’m not sure if this is popular opinion or not, but I have a really, really bad feeling about Toronto’s potential in the playoffs this year.

But I’m no expert….

67. frontenac1 says:

YRest guys? Throw the game? Hell no! Its The Montreal Canadiens! Play to win Every game and The Stanley Cup!Nothing else is acceptable.

68. commandant says:

A 2 for 1 special as we didn’t have any draft prospects yesterday.

At 16 a Power forward from the Quebec Remparts

At 17 an American Centre/Left wing, with skill, grit, and an agitator’s game. I’ve got him higher than most others do, but I’m a big fan

Compher could very easily fall to the Habs in the Mid-20s and I think he’d be the perfect pick for Montreal if on the board. He’d bring a lot of what our prospect group needs going forward.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

69. Alex_425 says:

Sure, there’s still a chance that Montreal can win the division, though if push comes to shove and someone asks me to throw down money, I wouldn’t bet on it.

And sure, it’s definitely possible that Montreal could win a playoff series against Toronto should they end up facing them (and I think they will), because MTL vs. TO is always a crapshoot, buuuut, again, if money’s involved, I would wince and say that TO would annihilate my dear Habs.

It’s not that I don’t have faith in ‘em, but I gotta pick a side of the coin at the end of the day.

But I’m no expert….

70. habitual says:

We are pretty good at this site about pointing out Habs deficiencies and mgmt mistakes.

Remember the reaction when Briere spurned us and signed with Philly? He got his first goal in 20 games last night. At 35 he has been barely a factor in the last two, injury riddled seasons. At 6.5 million per year he will likely be bought out.

Glad that bullet missed us.

71. Danno says:

Winners win by winning, not by taking days off

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• JohnBellyful says:

Truer words were ne’er spoken. Whiners never take days off. They tear strips off.
      Winners? Oh, sorry.

• commandant says:

I agree Danno, we gotta go after the division.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• New says:

By the same token if you look carefully the Habs slump began when a playoff position was cinched. That was the set goal for this season. Look even more carefully and you see that the players not looking sharp (or tired) are the vets. Now you can say that is because the wear and tear is getting on them I suppose. Or you could look at it as the Canadiens game, played by the team that made it to the “cinch” game, is more than good enough for four of seven, four of six, maybe four of five. Why worry about who you’ll face in the playoffs? Why bust your butt in nothing games? There will be time enough to give it everything. When it counts.

I call that the SG outlook, named for the innovator Scotty Gomez.

• habssince1909 says:

Absolutely, we gotta set the tone !!

• Clay says:

Only quitters quit.

__________________________
      ☞ “And yet not choice but habit rules the unreflecting herd.” ~ William Wordsworth ☜

Last night offered glimpses of how different our defence will look next year with Tinordi and Emelin in the lineup. Perhaps we get to add Beaulieu mid way through season and MB will have some trade bait he can offer to the league in either Gorges/Boullion. This isn’t a slam on either, but just a changing of the guard.

• Ozmodiar says:

An extended playoff run involving Tinordi could have a big impact on how the D corps will look next year. If he proves himself through 2 or 3 rounds then it might look like this:

Gorges – PK
      Markov – Emelin
      Tinordi – Diaz
      Bouillon

Otherwise, MB might try to acquire someone.

73. Dirtsteed says:

I think this team should play hard the last game of the season. Rest Markov and Prust but everyone else plays, including Price. Try to win the game and at least put some pressure on the Bruins to have to win both of their games. We have a better chance of beating the leafs in one game than we do in a series. So beat them now and try to avoid them in the playoffs.

Not to mention that this team could use another win to help build some more confidence. Hopefully they don’t get rocked.

And I thought Rene Bourque played an excellent game. He was hard on the forecheck and didn’t see him coasting around out there.

• New says:

I think they should play hard and not fight. TO will be looking to set a tone and goons like McLaren will be rabbit punching to concuss. Grabs took out Markov once and he’ll do it again. TO is a good team but they’d like a four game laugher as well as the next guy. There are a few Canadiens who disappear when the bodies start crunching anyway, no sense having a fat lip too.

74. Ozmodiar says:

Last night Carey Price was – cool, calm, efficient – in the net.

75. derfab says:

We have lots of extra players available, lots of options. My gut says all in or all out. Play to win or play to provoke and insult.