About last night …

CelebrateWinn

Never in doubt, right?
OK, I’ve had my little joke.
For 40 minutes, your Montreal Canadiens’ crucial win over the Winnipeg Jets was very much in doubt.
But there were third-period heroics, and the upshot is there will be a hockey game at the Bell Centre next Tuesday.
The Canadiens having secured a spot in the upper tier of Eastern Conference playoff seedings, here’s a question for the Commentariat to chew over on Friday morning:
Should Andrei Markov play in Toronto on Saturday night?

He definitely could use a night off.

Markov played 21 games in the KHL  – with Chekhov Vityaz, which sounds like a theatre troupe. And through 47 NHL games, Markov is averaging in excess of 24 minutes and  looking more and more like Uncle Vanya.

Also, bad things happen to Markov at the Air Canada Centre, where he was cut by Carey Price’s skate blade and suffered his first knee injury when hit by Mikhail Grabovski, of all people.

The 4-2 win over the Jets put the Canadiens beyond the reach of Toronto. So Saturday’s game is not a showdown for home ice in the opening round.

I’d be tempted to rest Markov and Josh Gorges. I might even be tempted to start Peter Budaj.

Except for one factor: the Canadiens can still win the Northeast Division. And that might mean a more favourable opening-round match-up than the psychodrama that would ensue if they played Toronto.

On the postgame edition of L’Antichambre, Guy Carbonneau’s “manchette” was “Rien de convaincant encore.” Translation: the win over Winnipeg did not convince Carbo that the Canadiens have recovered from their late-season woes.

The Canadiens were bad in the first period and mediocre in the second, Carbo said. Jets goalie Ondrej Pavelec was weak on two goals, and a dumb Too Many Men penalty created the 5-on-3 power play that produced David Desharnais’s winning goal.

Best aspect of the win for Carbo?

The play of Carey Price. The goaltender made saves – notably that amazing stop on Blake Wheeler’s breakaway – that kept the Canadiens in the game.

I liked Price, too. I also liked Lars Eller, Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk and Rene Bourque. During the third period, there were signs of life from the David Desharnais line after Michel Therrien made an in-game adjustment, switching Gallagher and Bourque.

On the back end, the Canadiens got another stud performance from P.K. Subban: 25 minutes, four shots on goal plus another five that were blocked. Jarred Tinordi played almost 16 minutes and had seven of the Canadiens 16 hits (nine others had one each; P.K. and Markov had none).

Raphael Diaz played 19:39, including 2:17 on a Canadiens’ penalty-kill that was 2-for-2 after being lit up during the team’s slump. Michel Therrien did not use Markov or Subban on the PK.

Tomas Plekanec’s line continued to struggle. Not much talk lately about whether the Canadiens will sign Michael Ryder this summer. He’ll need a strong playoff performance to make a case for a new contract … and I doubt it will be with the Canadiens.

The fourth line didn’t do much. Brandon Prust had one shot and no hits. He’s playing hurt and might be a candidate to be rested on Saturday …. the more so because the valiant Prust would probably have to drop ‘em with one of the Toronto thugs whom Randy Carlyle will dispatch to “set the tone” for the playoffs.

That’s why I’m glad home ice won’t be in the balance at the ACC. Coming on the heels of what we’ve been seeing for the past two weeks, the Canadiens being gooned out of fourth place on Saturday would be too much to bear.

I’m still with Carbo, standing skeptically beside the CH bandwagon.

The Canadiens have not beaten a playoff team since edging the Bruins 2-1 on April 6. That will be three weeks ago on Saturday.

But the franchise goaltender was good in New Jersey and Winnipeg.

And even through the slump, the young core of the team – to which we can now add Tinordi’s name – offered hope of a bright future for the franchise.

On to TO … and absolutely no pressure.

1. Kooch7800 says:

Anyone else see kadri slash a Florida defenseman and man got punched in the face…..that kid is a punk

Not sure what vwas better the habs winning or kadri getting punched
    “Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ozmodiar says:

who got punched?

He is a complete punk, he absolutely believes he is untouchable. Listening to the two doorknobs on TSN Toronto Lunch radio, they talk about how tough he is now and that he knows he can’t be touched as he has protection.

Drives me crazy listening to Toronto Sports Radio, but as a Sports Addict who doesn’t have satellite radio, I constantly put more Crack in my system.

• ABHabsfan says:

There should be a group we can join, as I suffer from this problem as well. My name is Dave and I listen to TO sports radio!!
        I try to listen to TSN Mtl through my phone while driving but it drops the signal often when I’m in the country

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Kooch7800 says:

He will get his…..and with YouTube we can watch it over and over lol

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Ozmodiar says:

This morning they claimed there would be only 1 Canadian team left in the playoffs after round 1.
        No need to tell you which team.

• von says:

Cherry made the comment a couple weeks back that if Kadri keeps playing that style, he better be prepared to back it up.

_________________________________

“Obviously it would be great, but they don’t really hang conference titles in this rink. They raise Stanley Cup banners.” – Carey Price

2. SmartDog says:

I think:

1. Gotta rest those players who you KNOW are either exhausted or injured. This probably includes Markov and Prust.
    2. Swap Bourque and Ryder. Ryder was on fire with Plekanec. Bourque’s size can help on any line. On a depth line Ryder does not add much.
    3. Play Price. He’s getting his game back and needs the challenge. To sit him is risky.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• derfab says:

Ryder was never on fire. He got some juicy rebounds, deflections and generous assists to pump his stats but has neither been a sniper or a physical presence. Hopefully he will step it up. But whatever happens, I don’t see the point of signing him. Kristo should be given an opportunity.

3. ABHabsfan says:

I don’t usually support goonery, but I really think Stortini should be brought in for Saturday. It’s safe to assume the Leafs are going to goon it up trying to soften or injure some of the Habs’ more effective players. And let’s face it there aren’t that many. If Carlyle thinks it will give him an advantage in the 1st round, it will happen, be sure. The Newborn Moose Calf (Fanoof) is not so tough when facing actual tough guys (see Prust) We cannot afford liberties to be taken with Gally or AG or PK or Leafs crashing the crease with impunity. Put Storts in, put Whitey in and make sure we have all our guns for tuesday

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

McLaren has been a healthy scratch past few games, Orr played his first game in a while the other night. Absolutely they will be in lineup and Carlyle will make it clear he wants Saturday night to be UFC night in Toronto.

For this reason, I don’t want Prust and his bad shoulder in the lineup, he will not say No to a scrap and could do damage to his already banged up body.

Let Ryan White play in his place, and if not Beaulieu, play Drewiskie instead of Markov, as they will be targeting him all night.

Other than that play the best players and win the game.

• Luke says:

I don’t think Stortini is Hab.
      He was a Bulldog, but I don’t think he was ever signed to an NHL contract.
      Additionally, I doubt he would do anything to dissuade the goonery. In fact, he’d go out looking for it. Prove himself and get the goon ball rolling… while getting his head caved in because he is terrible.
      Thirdly, Whitey is suspended.

4. HammerHab says:

Who should Therrien bench tomorrow?

Markov, Gorges, Prust, Ryder, Price???? Sounds about right….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• aroma says:

All this talk about resting various players, but little mention of Plekanec. To me, his play began to go South around the same time as Markov’s slide. He’s the kind of player who doesn’t complain, will play hurt, etc. Dunno if that’s the case, but surely a case can be made for resting him. They have enough good centers to go around…

• Blondemon says:

Nobody. They should play to win the division title or at least to make a statement against a potential playoff opponent who has ragdolled them this season.

***Drive for 25***

5. La Duke 16 says:

Price, Markov and Prust should sit this one out.

• Ozmodiar says:

Maybe Prust, if he’s hurt.

As for the other 2, no. They’ve gotta beat the leafs on Saturday. I really think the B’s will lose one of their games, so the 2nd spot is up for grabs.

Not to mention, the D corps and Price are still trying to find their groove. I don’t think the win last night was very convincing. Timely PP’s and miscues by the other goalie helped a lot.

• La Duke 16 says:

On the flip side – what if Price flops on Saturday and the team lays an egg – what does that do for you going into the playoffs?

Rest the right guys and you get a big boost if you still win the game, and if you lose you have a legit excuse that you did not play your “A” team.

• Ozmodiar says:

If they flop on Sat, then they’ll flop in the playoffs.

If they do rest guys, it won’t be for fear of flopping. That’s a bit of a loser’s mentality.

6. HammerHab says:

Here’s my issue with a Leafs/Habs matchup in the playoffs….it hurts the Habs more to lose to the Leafs than for the Leafs to lose to the Habs. If the Leafs lose “oh it’s okay, after almost a decade of no playoff hockey we’re pumped just to be here!”. But if the Habs lose, even though they played terribly last year, the expectations are higher going into the playoffs. The Leafs will be going into it with nothing to lose, and I hate going up against teams with nothing to lose.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• 123456 says:

Expectations? Who finishes worse lasdt seaon? And what are they 4 points apart in the standings? THe teams are vitually equal.

• HammerHab says:

Outside of Toronto I think most people knew Montreal was not playing up to expectations. Toronto IMO is only in this position because it’s a shortened season. They usually tail off at the latter half of the season and their true colours show. On paper the Habs have better goaltending, better defense, and at worst equal overall offense. We should do better! Over a full season these 2 teams would not be 4 points apart. Most Leaf players have no playoff experience and even if they lose will be happy to have been there. Not so for the Habs.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

7. habs-fan-84 says:

I think Price has turned the page and that’s the most important thing. Price played with confidence last night and it will affect the rest of the team positively.

Carbonneau raises some good points, but I wouldn’t be too concerned, with Price heating up, the team will follow.

Last night the boys played with more intensity than we’ve seen since their win in Buffalo two weeks ago yesterday. They seem to get up for the games that matter (which is why I’m not nervous heading into the playoffs).

I feel a blowout coming in TO as Montreal finds its mojo again and plants the seed of doubt in the Leaf dressing room and leaf nation as a whole.

GO HABS GO!

• HammerHab says:

I agree on Price. Now, do you bench Price and keep his confidence high going into the playoffs or do you play him and risk another blowout?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• habs-fan-84 says:

It’s a tough call and something I was thinking about on the drive into work today….

If he’s just starting to find his rhythm again, I’m not sure which is better, playing him on Saturday to keep it going or resting him a few days until game 1.

I’d be more inclined to play him to keep it going, if he can have a solid game in Toronto he should be fully confident going into the playoffs.

• HammerHab says:

And if Price has a horrible game tomorrow, the playoff chances look really really bleak….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• habs-fan-84 says:

not necessarily, but if he does get lit up (which I doubt), then we live and die by the sword.

• ABHabsfan says:

I don’t think you can bench a guy for risk he might get lit up, shows the coach has no confidence in him. I say he plays

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

8. ABHabsfan says:

Just watching the U18 this morning, Can vs Fin. Freddie Gauthier is a heck of a player and a serious load for a 17 year old. Habs should be targeting this guy in the draft IMO, use those 2nds and 3rds to move up if need be (not all of them obviously) No one could say the Habs are small down the middle with this guy and AG and Eller centreing lines 1-2-3.
    I completely agree with other posters here this morning that Ryder should be on a short leash Saturday. He floats around he should sit. Their whole line embarrassed themselves last night, especially considering they are the “leadership” of this team. Ryder needs to get his poop in a group for play-offs; we may need a big save out of him!

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

9. 123456 says:

Rest Markov for sure. You never sit anyone because you fear an injury, you rest players so they are closer to 100% for the playoffs. I would rest Markov and Prust for sure. Anyone else who is banged up as well. Trying to win the division you are counting on Boston losing two games. Just focus on the Habs and do what is best for hte second season. No matter the seeding in the playoffs you have to beat many good teams to win the cup – seeding does not matter that much.

10. Chilly Willy says:

Good morning Chaps.

See, it is not the size of the Cat in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the Cat!

11. ed says:

after last night’s game, you have to play for the win in Toronto.

it’s critical for the Habs’ players to give everything they’ve got and not back off 1 inch against Toronto.

I would play Saturday night like it was the 1st game of the playoff series vs Toronto – and force our guys to bring their A GAME, their playoff motivation, everything they’ve got.

If Ryder can not bring it on Saturday in the first period, I would use him as an example, and bench him.

Why? because we NEED Ryder in the playoffs and he NEEDS the Habs to showcase his talent.

It’s tough love, but I think it will work because Ryder will be motivated to get ice time and motivated to produce if he sees that Therrien is serious.

I have learned to like the Ryder that we saw when he first came over in the trade. It’s the Ryder of the past 7 games or so that I never liked.

Sometimes a coach has to set an example, and benching Ryder could really light a fire under this team, and certainly will force Ryder to push harder so he can showcase his talent during the playoffs.

12. Kfourn says:

Here’s he thing, you don’t “rest” anyone in the lineup IMO because it instills a scared mentality in the players. What message are you sending to both the Habs players and the Leaf players if you take a couple players out of the lineup? you’re telling the Hab players that this game doesn’t matter and you should be scared of the physical play of the Leafs and you tell the Leaf players they’re running scared we’ll bury them in the playoffs. IMO the playoffs start Saturday, it should be treated like a playoff game.

_______________________________________________________
    Well, he’s kind of had it in for me ever since I accidentally ran over his dog. Actually, replace “accidentally” with “repeatedly” and replace “dog” with “son.”

• I love this quote “It’s sad when our rookies have no NHL experience before they jump up to the NHL.” – nunacanadien

What’s his new tag now? I used to keep track but lost interest.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Bash says:

It’s not about being scared. This is the NHL! It’s about resting key players and allowing some heal time for nagging injuries.

The Leafs will do just that, resting some good players and dressing a few fringe neanderthals, unless a win gives them home ice advantage in the playoffs.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

13. JohnBellyful says:

Much is made of the Leafs’ ‘luck’ in winning games in which they’re badly outshot. Over the course of the season, the disparity isn’t that large, 32 – 26, in favour of the opposition.
    But isn’t the real indicator of a team’s likelihood of success the number of scoring chances in a game? The preponderance of play could very well be at one of the rink but if the shots are from the perimeter or from a distance with no traffic in front, and the rebounds are routinely cleared, it’s entirely possible for a team on the defensive to weather the storm and make the most of its opportunities at the other end. Over the course of a game, the difference between the two teams in actual scoring chances might not be that great.
    It’s a formula that seems to have worked for Toronto this season.
    The Leafs have speed, so do the Canadiens, and there’s not much separation between the two in goaltending at this point.
    Where the Leafs hold the advantage is in the hitting department (goonery as well but this should be less in evidence in the playoffs — unless the referees pocket their whistles for the most part, which becomes cause for concern).
    Moral of the post: Don’t take the Leafs lightly.
    But with only four points separating the teams, and Toronto holding a 3-1 edge in the season series, you knew that already.

14. SmartDog says:

HOLY CRAP – REST MARKOV ALREADY!

What’s that famous GM quote about listening to the fans is a great way to screw up the team?

There’s that. And then there’s “the wisdom of crowds” where research shows that groups collectively are actually quite wise – the consensus is more often correct than even informed individuals.

And when every sports reporter – not your average joe – and educated fan is saying ‘you need to rest Markov’, you have to wonder WTF Therrien is doing. It may be already too late. Markov has not been great for weeks. He should’ve been rested more already.

There’s NO harm in playing Hamilton kids and 4th liners tomorrow night. Good experience for them, rest and protect guys that need it. If Therrien doesn’t do this he’s just arrogant and stubborn. Which, despite the image makeover we’ve seen, could still be the problem underneath.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

15. Danno says:

Go Caps (Saturday) and Go Sens Go (on Sunday)

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

16. WindsorHab-10 says:

My take on tomoorow night is this: Rest Markov, Gorges, Subban & anyone else that needs it. Yes we could win the division but the Habs had a chance to lock it long time ago & they blew it. I will not risk injuring a star player especially against a goon coach/team like the leafs. It looks like they will be our opponent in the first round & I guarantee you that Randy Carlyle will implement a rock’em/sock’em formula. In my humble opinion, it doesn’t matter who we play, if we can’t beat the likes of Toronto then we’re not good enough to go further.

17. mdp2011 says:

Morning all. Has sanity been restored to this place or is it still pitch forks and torches?

Pitch forks are now replaced with High End Steak Knives, Torches have been replaced with zippo lighters. Theme is the same, but message isn’t quite as loud.

• Clay says:

Get a rope!

__________________________
      ☞ “And yet not choice but habit rules the unreflecting herd.” ~ William Wordsworth ☜

• When I got home last night the first thing I did was go into the game file. Sure enough, scroll down to the first goal and the same ol posters with the same ol points. Price this Price that. Those same posters were missing in the third. :lol: God Bless them.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Shane the 1st thing I did was turn on the game with and 3rd was a couple minutes old and our Habs was losing 2-1. I went to the mini fridge and got myself a cold one. Just as I twisted the cap off Gallagher scored to tie the game. What a perfect time to celebrate and the rest was victorious!!!

Man ol man did it taste good. Atta boy Gallagher. I knew it was going to be a strong 3rd period when da boys scored an early goal and made for a wonderful night. Tinordi was a beast and played very well for what I seen of the game. Good to see a win for Carey Price.

Go Habs Go!!!!

18. Danno says:

Habs need to beat the Leafs to salvage a .500 record for the month of April

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

19. StephK says:

I kind of wish that our first game would have been scheduled for Wednesday or Thursday, and not Tuesday. We could have deffinitely used a couple of days rest. Thanks a lot Rihanna!

20. John Q Public says:

Rest the injured.
    Rest the elderly.
    Play the former Dogs.
    Hit them Leafs good.
    Do it again. And again. And again.
    Here come the Playoffs!
    Go Habs GO!

21. Arrow77 says:

Pretty much everyone has been askin MT to cut down on Markov’s ice time since Day 1. He didn’t do it and it explains a lot about this end of season we’re having.

Still, it’s too late to do it now. I would put the playoff lineup vs Toronto. Momentum is the most important thing at this point.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Give Bouillon a rest at least, I can’t see that hurting our momentum in any way.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Here’s the deal though. Players from both teams will be reckless, and once emotion takes over in a game you never know what will happen.

DO we want to see PK, Gallagher and Eller do something silly that may cause an injury?

In the playoffs the Leafs goons won’t be able to play their game because as soon as they take that first penalty and get scored on you won’t see that play again.

Kadri is a punk, he’ll hit you only when he knows you aren’t ready. He also doesn’t like to be touched. Kessel too. It will be easy to get them off their game next week.

If the Habs want to knock the Leafs down to 6th, or capture 2nd overall, then balls to the walls let go. Dress the playoff team. But Markov, Bouillon, Gorges need to sit. Horrible mental and physical mistakes out there and I’m not talking just last night.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Arrow77 says:

That’s the thing: we can’t know what will happen. Would you have thought an injury to Emelin would hurt the team this badly? This is not a player we would have rested if he were still healthy.

Being overly cautious will not help us at this point. We’ve been playing really bad lately and last night wasn’t enough to build our confidence back to where it was. A bad loss to the Leafs could hurt the team badly and we have to give our best effort to win this game.

• HFX-HabFan says:

We could still win without Markov though. We won some games at the start of the year without Subban; this is the same thing.

If we win on Saturday, it forces Boston has to pick up at least 3 points out of a possible 4 (vs OTT and WSH in back to back games, no small feat), otherwise the division and second seed is ours.

22. Steeltown Hab says:

Everyone’s going to think I just “HATE” Desharnais but seriously.

Galchenyuk – Eller – Bourque are killing it out there and than MT switches Bourque to DD’s line….absolutely anything to get Desharnais going, it’s never about rewarding guys (cough, galchenyuk, eller).

And ya Desharnais finally scored on the PP so that warrants another 20 bad PPs before removal from the 1st unit. Same old story.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Cal says:

A little too much whine in your Cheerios?

• Steeltown Hab says:

You disagree?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Cal says:

Habs clinch home ice after DD scores the winner and all you do is rag on him. Ice time was well distributed last night AND the game before. (You seem to forget Eller the other night on the PP giving the puck away a couple times in 30 seconds)

• Steeltown Hab says:

Not ragging on Desharnais in any way what so ever can you read? It’s Therrien who’s making the decisions of personnel on the ice.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Cal says:

@Steeltown- You been ragging on DD for a full month or so. At the same time, you constantly bitch about the ice time of your favourites. MT has guided the team to a minimum 4th place finish and you think you can manage the players’ times better. Give it a rest.

• Steeltown Hab says:

So to my actual point of my comment about last night you have nothing to say. Just that I’ve “ragged on dd in the past”.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

I will admit that Max looked to be working hard out there, and while Gallagher provides energy, DD wasn’t producing a whole lot of anything. Thankfully he buried the opportunity he got. While he is indeed frustrating me, i am going to take the optimistic view that this may spark him. He is signed, he is a Hab, he will get his ice time, so I am going to hope that he finds the creativity and scoring pace he had last season.

• RetroMikey says:

Habin Burlington
        Where do you live in Burlington?
        I work and live here and love the city!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• philip says:

The way I see it, MT gave the favor to Eller and Galchenyuk by moving Gallagher with them, no? He put his most energic winger with them. BG was playing better than RB at that point.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I think if he was going to reward them he’d give them PP time. With a team struggling and a line finally catches fire I don’t see how you decide to break that up

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

23. Strummer says:

With 3 days off after tomorrows game I wouldn’t rest anyone.
    Go for the division title- just manage the ice time better for some of the guys that were being over-used

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

24. RetroMikey says:

Great game for Price and congrats for the team to get home ice advantage in the first round, very important.
    But it’s a meaningless game against Toronto Saturday night.
    Rest the aging Markov, and others cause it will be a physical series against Toronto.
    Sister Plekanec and other smaller players like Gionta, DD, Gallagher better be fully rested.
    The D needs rest as well, series starts on Tuesday.
    Toronto-Montreal in a playoff series, will be exciting for fans of both teams.
    Battle of Price vs Reimer, this would shut up all out there who the better goalie is when one team survives this playoff matchup.
    My prediciton…Leafs 4-2.
    Although not as fast and skillful, Leafs will prevail.
    Big is better…..in today’s NHL.
    Don’t blame me…….. blame Bettman.
    Go Habs Go…..forever as I say.
    Prove me wrong guys, prove me wrong!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

25. HFX-HabFan says:

Preferred Saturday lineup:

Gio-Pleks-Ryder
    Patches-DD-Bourque
    Chucky-Larry-Gally
    Moen-Halps-Armdog

Gorges-PK
    Tinordi-Diaz
    Cube-Drewiske

Budaj

Prust, Markov and Price catch a breather to rest up before the real season starts. In a perfect world, Therrien would sit Bouillon in favour of Drewiske for the playoffs but that likely won’t happen.

26. Strummer says:

Tinordi looked very confident last night.
    Just as cool as the Anahim Lake Cucumber

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

27. Habfan10912 says:

@Cal – Great job with your clinching song parody. John Denver is great!

28. Great game, Jets were flying, hitting, and but nothing was getting through.

Was sitting right behind Carey’s left shoulder when he made that save on Wheeler. Jets fans were amazed at it and the jeers for Carey stopped after that.

Loved PK, the Jets fans started to boo as PK left our zone. The boos got louder and PK turns back in as to say “you can do better than that Jets fans”, and then he went all the way exciting everyone Montreal.

Bouillon and Gorges have no idea how to get the puck to the net. Time after time they had the puck on their stick with time, and their only move was to get it deep. Normally that’s great, but the secret to hockey is to get pucks to the net. Everything has to go at the net, and they kept shooting into the corners. Wasting possible scoring chances. I know they aren’t offensive defensemen, so I will give them a little slack, but man it’s frustrating.

Saturday is only important to the fans. There is no need to play any of the following.

(can we rest three D?) Rest Markov (no secret there), Subban, Bouillon,Pleks, Gio, Ryder.

Play the guts out of Desharnais (oh wait they do).

Budaj starts

Had to change my flight plan this morning. I’ll be in Montreal Tuesday afternoon until Sunday. I really do hope it’s the Leafs we play. That will be one big media circus and will make for a great series. I love hockey drama, so much fun.

Hockey Inside Out members are everywhere. I was waiting to get into the MTS Center, and this gentleman says “hey you look familiar”, and that’s all it took. Nice meeting you Darryl, now sign up and start posting! :)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

29. Blade says:

Rest Markov and Gorges….definitely start Price. No more nights off for the lad. Would be the worst mistake ever not playing him Saturday. He seems to be playing better, so you hope for a stud performance in Toronto on Saturday and carry that into round one. If he blows up and has another performance like last Toronto game, then a first round win was not to be this year.

• Playing your #1 in Toronto when the main players of your team are sitting is not a good thing to do.

Why put your Leader, and your best player in that situation to fail?

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Blade says:

I agree Shane, but Subban/Tinordi/Diaz et al will be able to cope againsta team that does not get a lot of puck on net in the first place. Leafs won 4-0 last nigh and were still out shot handily…I think they only got 18 or 19 shots on net.

• I hear ya, but I think some key forwards may not play Saturday. Ryder, Gio, Pleks, and who knows whom else.

I am looking forward to the announcement.

We have a party to go to Saturday night. When we got the invite I did my best Darth Vader imitation. “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO”

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures

30. adamkennelly says:

Is Tuesday/Thursday for games 1 and 2 set?

31. Clay says:

Big positives last night: Tinordi and Price. Carey really needed a good game, and that certainly qualifies. He really set the tone stopping Wheeler at the 15 minute mark of the first. That was a big save, and one he needs to make to instill confidence in his game. As for Tinordi, he looked like he belonged, and IMO this was the best he has played in all his appearances thus far.

I also liked the fact that we finally won when trailing after the first, but I have to wonder if that third period would have played out the same way if the Jets hadn’t already been eliminated…

I guess an honourable mention goes out to DD. Not a bad game, and finally gets one on the PP. I still think he should spend less time on the PP though.
    __________________________

32. rhino514 says:

didn´t see the game (too late over here), but is Tinordi the real deal?
    Is he good enough to be a regular top six next season, and does this mean we don´t have to shop around for a regular shift Dman? This would be most welcome news to come out of the last two week debacle.

33. HankHardball says:

I don’t understand it.

People’ve been crying for weeks cause they took the foot off the pedal. Now that there’s 1 game left, and they’re finally showing signs of the intensity they need to win in the playoffs, some people want them to take the foot off the pedal.

We know TOR’s going to be attempting to intimidate. The best way for this team to counteract that is to beat them on the scoreboard. Especially if the Habs are playing with a lead.

BOS plays both WAS & OTT within 24hrs 0n Sat / Sun. Good chance they’ll lose one of them.

Home ice advantage in best of 7 playoff series is huge. Especially in the 2nd round. And you’d rather play the 7th seed than the 5th seed in the 1st round.

This is what they get paid the big bucks for. In the playoffs you want every advantage you can get.

Sit? Shit! I’d rather go in on a win. And have home ice in the 2nd round.

34. ed says:

I really enjoyed watching Tinordi last night. He was moving Jets away from the crease, banging against the boards, and winning battles.

I also liked how he plays with the puck. His head is high, his feet are moving constantly, his passes are committed and on the tape.

We could have (and should have) had Tinordi up with the Habs and playing a regular shift for over a month now.

That was a major mistake by the Habs brass as it was clear our best option would be a bigger, stay at home, type of d-man all along.

What’s done is done.

Welcome aboard Mr. Tinordi. I watched your father play and I know it was never pleasant playing against him. You will have a great future here just following in your father’s footsteps.

+42

Ed, I wonder though how much it helped Tinordi to get that taste of NHL then work on specific things at AHL level. Also, would you give Beaulieu a chance Saturday night?

• Habfan10912 says:

When our brilliant coach (falling off the MT bandwagon) played him a whopping 6 minutes in his last game up before he was sent back down, it indicated that he had NO confidence in him. MB had no choice but to get him back to the Hammer to assure he gets ice time. This ones on MT. Another head scratcher.

• Therrien mentioned last night that they brought him up to give him a taste. Kinda worked. They sent him down, he’s thinking “next time I get the call I’m gonna blow these guys away”.

Have to be careful, some players go the exact opposite, but I guess those are the players you don’t want anyway.

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures

• piper says:

I’d put Beaulieu in for Markov Saturday.

• ed says:

I would not play beaulieu. We have a lineup with tinordi in it. Let’s keep that lineup and ask the players to give everything they’ve got.

we could beat Toronto tomorrow night and that would be a huge win for us.

also, no fighting on saturday. none.

it will frustrate the leafs that they have no one to fight with, and we could take advantage of that frustration.

play hard, forecheck and backcheck, but don’t fight.

• Habfan10912 says:

Wait till he puts on a few pounds to 230 – 235. This guy is going to be a very good defenseman. He’s NHL ready. With him and Emelin, we’ll have a bit more physically on the blue line. Wonder what the hurry to extend Frankie B was.

• JF says:

I thought when Emelin was injured that the team would certainly call up Tinordi. Ready or not, he would bring something of a physical presence to the D. If this had been done, he would have had more than three weeks of NHL experience going into the playoffs.

• Maritime Ron says:

Maybe another way to look at it.
      He had a 6 game taste of the NHL game and speed. During the last 2 games he played, he was only on the ice for 7:45 and 6:37.
      He went back to Hamilton and had a month’s worth of games to work on stuff with former NHL D man coaches Lefevre and Dufresne perhaps better understanding what he needed to work on.
      You would have to admit he looked better last night vs. last time he was up with the big club. Maybe it was all for the best when looking more long term.

35. Maritime Ron says:

Unless you are hurt, you play Saturday.
    If Prust’s shoulders are hurt, or if Markov’s knee is swollen, or if Gorges has a hip issue, then send them home.
    If not, they play.

This is Game 48 played in a little over 3 months, not Game 82 over 6 months.
    You’ll have lots of time to rest in the summer…
    If the Habs have pride, you play Saturday, and you play hard, and you play to win and to set the tone.

Maybe some of our big men (Bourque-Moen-Pacioretty) can star ‘playing big’ for a change. They are all 6’2″ and weigh between 213-220. Watch little guys Gallagher and Dumont. They’ll show you how to do it.

Now, go watch some tape of the Feb.27 game when we beat the Leafs 5-2 in their own barn and shoved it down their throat.
    That’s the kind of effort I’d love to see.

36. jrs10069 says:

Jets gave up between 2nd and 3rd when they knew they were out. Perfect.

I would sit as many players as possible on Sat night, meaningless game. I would like to see Weber and DD in, perhaps they might get hurt, ensuring we don’t have to deal with them in the playoffs. Weber is simply not NHL caliber. DD is playing like complete &^%$. How many blind behind the back passes to the other team has he made since he signed the big one?

When is game 1?

jrs10069

• Habfan10912 says:

I always love to see the “I hope he gets hurt” post on here. It helps me prove to myself that there are far dumber people out there then me. Sigh.

Boone says in his About Last Night Comments, Tuesday night.

• Cal says:

Wanting a Habs player hurt? Biggest A-Hole post of the day.

• Clay says:

It’s early (there), but yeah…this just might hold up.

__________________________

• jrs10069 says:

I would say the biggest A-hole post(s) of the day are all of you ladies for getting your panties in a knot over a post. I am truly sorry if I made any of you feel badly and espcially poor Weber and DD for hoping they get hurt so they don’t play and weaken the habs.

jrs10069

• HabsFanInTampa says:

Meaningless game!?!?! If Habs win and Bruins lose one of their last two games we win the Northeast and more importantly the SECOND seed in the playoffs.

We could still catch Boston with help! if we can win Saturday night. But way to much to ask for

• smiler2729 says:

Go Sens Go

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Not that much.

If we win and either the Caps OR the Sens beat Boston in regulation, we are first.

• kalevine says:

or the Bruins lose both games in OT
        I don’t think there’s much chance the Bruins win both games. The big challenge would be for the Habs to win. I say go all out to win it, and then at least the intensity level is maintained leading into the playoffs

38. smiler2729 says:

Trade Markov and Plekanec in the summer.

Markov is nothing but a PP specialist, ’nuff said.

Plekanec is a very talented forward who for some reason can’t score, (he misses the net more often than not), always seems to come out on the losing end of any important draws and will once again disappear in the playoffs.

Throw in the ridiculous contract and he’s as good as gone.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• Habfan10912 says:

Smiler, I love ya bud but Pleks? Really? He currentley is our best forward. He is a very good two way center. He adds more to our team then scoring and/or points.
      As far as Markov goes I would not be so against that but I wonder if he is being exposed by giving him 25+ minutes of ice time a night?

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah but is he really our best forward?

Take the turtlenecked-coloured glasses off and really look at it, isn’t Eller basically going to be doing the things asked of Pleks? And doing the math, that spells the end of Pleks here.

Talk to me again when “the little girl” shows up again in the playoffs vs. Toronto.

_______________________________________
        Jack Edwards is a clam.
        Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• Habfan10912 says:

Pleks as a #3 Center is a good recipe for a Stanley Cup IMO.

• smiler2729 says:

He is a #3 center, that’s the problem, unfortunately he gets paid and is being used as a #1!

_______________________________________
            Jack Edwards is a clam.
            Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

• piper says:

You are absolutely right smiler. Trade those guys now while they still have some value. Add Gionta to that list too. This team will not win anything with these guys leading the team. Lets move on this off season.

39. --Habs-- says:

Should the Habs bring up Zack Stortini for the playoffs to counter the goonery?

Go HABS Go

Tinordi brought a nice element to the game last night. Seemed to me he looked much more confident out there than his last go around. Perhaps Beaulieu should get another kick at the can on Sat. night against the Leafs.

While the game is still important, I would be very tempted to have Beaulieu replace Markov and perhaps put Drewiskie in for Gorges. Prust definitely needs to sit Saturday, as the pitbulls from Toronto will be unleashed looking for fights all night to entertain the corporate whores of Leafland watching the game from the bowels of the Platinum or Air Canada Club bars under the stands.

Let Ryan White take his place, perhaps Dumont in for Plex. if he needs a rest, and a reset after that brutal icing play.

Very happy with the play of our goaltender last night.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Burly. If I’m given a choice between Toronto, Isles, Rangers and a getting healthier Sens team I’ll take the Isles first then the Leafs. Winning the division gives the team a better chanced of playing the rangers or Sens then finishing 4th. That said, I’d be all for resting Prust, Markov and Gorges.

• JF says:

I think agree with you. The Isles have Tavares and a great powerplay, and Nabokov has been playing well, but they’re basically a one-line team and their defence is not great. Leafs’ defence is terrible and they have almost no playoff experience, but they’re playing with confidence right now. Both the Rangers and Senators have great defence and goaltending.

Noticed Brad Staubitz got his first goal of the season last night, firing a wrist shot past Luongo from a not great angle. Didn’t he finally get his first goal of last season with 1 or 2 games left in season as well?

Rest the old ones and Prust. Play Kaberle, Weber, and all the kids, except give Gallagher the night off. He looks drained and fried!

• Habfan10912 says:

Agree Ian, but I’m guessing Kabrele doesn’t sniff the ice due to the risk of injury and the amnesty buyout.

• netninja says:

I was thinking about it, and I don’t think we can buy Kaberle out during the summer. Didn’t the CBA stipulate one buyout this summer and one buyout next? if that was the case then we used up this years buyout on Gomez (and rightfully so).

43. habsinnyc says:

I like this scenario, which is not out of the question AND would end the wet dreams of Stock, Cherry and the other Leaf blowers at HNIC:

Habs win Saturday.

Ottawa beats Philly on Saturday and Boston on Sunday.

This would put the Leafs in Washington and the Habs in my neighborhood to start the playoffs.

• Danno says:

Also, one of the new york teams would have to lose as well and one would have to win.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• habsinnyc says:

Rangers and Islanders are 7 and 8 no matter what. Order will depend on their final games, but if Habs finish atop the Northeast, they will play one of them. A playoff game in Long Island would still be local from my perspective. (And a cheaper ticket through StubHub than a Ranger playoff game.)

• Danno says:

I was never good at math…

But for Ottawa to end up in seventh place one NY team needs to win and one needs to lose while Ottawa loses the next two games. Isn’t this right? This would place one NY team in 6th, Sens in 7th, and the other NY team in 8th spot.

Then if the stars align and the Habs beat the Leafs while the Bruins lose their next two it would be a Habs vs Sens first round.

Is there a mathematician in the house? :lol:

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
          Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• habsinnyc says:

Bruins and Ottawa can’t both lose their last two, because they play each other on the last game. But you are, indeed, correc that there are scenarios where the Habs play Ottawa in the first round. In that case, Leafs would play Boston, which the HNIC guys would adore. My original post was to point out that the Leafs could still not secure a wet dream first round series for Cherry and the rest of the buffoons.

• Habfan10912 says:

I am kind of scared of the Rangers in the playoffs, NYC. Could they be this season’s LA Kings? The Islanders? OK.

44. Bash says:

Two choices for Saturday, play to win or play the kids and rest for the playoffs.

I choose the latter because we need the rest and not because the Leafs will hurt someone.

This the NHL for suck fake!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

45. leehammer says:

Wow we can still play Toronto, Ottawa, NYI or NYR, a lot to be decided…

I would be hesitant to rest top players. I say go for the division lead, hope that Boston loses one their last two. Toronto and Ottawa are going to be really tough, I think the easier draws are the new york teams. Plus we will have home ice WHEN we get to the 2nd round :)

46. The Cat says:

I think MT has to put Price in Saturday, cause a poor start in game 1 may be disastrous.

47. HabFanSince72 says:

So it now looks like Saturday won’t be a measuring stick game after all.

Next Tuesday. That’s our measuring stick. Everything will be clear after that.

48. keithmacv says:

Price still getting flack from some of you idiots.. Wow.

49. JF says:

Rest Markov, Plekanec, and Prust. Maybe Gorges as well.

50. Cal says:

Whodathunk after all that garbage from last season, and then a long lockout, that this would happen?
    Habs leave Winnipeg after Clinching a Home Berth for the Playoffs!

51. Danno says:

This Tinordi kid is very good. I’d say give Markov a break. He could sure use it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

Watching all last night’s games condensed into the nhl.com highlights package shows things:

1. Caps and Sens enjoying really good goal-keeping.
    2. But Rask looking hot. Great….
    3. Good to see Price making big saves and looking like he has regained control of his psyche. But the Jets’ first goal was on him for staying on his knees. I simply don’t get why he does that. There was plenty of time to get back on his skates, in which case I believe he would have made the stop.
    4. Ovi scored an absolute beaut, celebrated spinning on his backside.
    5. The Leafs put a dire team to the sword. Let’s not underestimate them — they have many good pieces: size, scoring, tending. And above all, they look mentally good. That could be fragile, but for now they have a lot of self-belief.
    6. Wow — the 3 Staals on a line together!
    7. The nhl.com video editors really had to work hard for highlights in periods 1-2 of our game. Look at the weak shots and easy saves that made it into the package. I’m still excited, but we can’t ignore what Carbo said.

53. SUMO says:

Danny Kristo has been invited to the World Hockey Championships for Team USA.

54. Marc10 says:

No Price for me in TO. Let him face The Leafs when it counts…

55. Bun E. Laroque says:

Definitely want to see Price in net on Saturday. Hes got something to prove and a strong performance from him would carry us nicely into the first playoff game. A rest for Markov might be in order though.

56. SUMO says:

You just know its Carlyle’s wet dream to goon it up on a nationally televised HNIC Saturday game. I’m sure he’ll try to double shift Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren to prove his point.

If Therrien chooses to rest Prust; I think he will re-insert Moen. Will be interesting to see how he responds from being scratched. He may even get into a fight.

Did anyone else think Tinordi looked like a larger version of Josh Gorges? They play similar styles except Tinordi covers alot more room.

57. Tampa Bay is 14th in the East and 28th in the league, but has an even goal differential. This is one unbelievably unlucky team.

If their goaltending and D improve next year, look out…

58. Un Canadien errant says:

The Canadiens win home-ice advantage for the opening round, securing at least fourth place and giving themselves a chance at second in the Conference. Huzzah.

Not necessarily a strong, convincing win, they capitalized on a crestfallen team that learned in the second intermission that they had been eliminated by virtue of the wins by the Rangers and Senators.

Carey Price was solid, seemingly coming out of his funk. He was aggressive in net, coming out far to challenge shooters on a couple of noticeable occasions. His puck handling was superb, as it usually is, and he helped out his defencemen in clearing out the zone quickly.

If anyone had any doubts as to how big and strong Dustin Byfuglien is, the way he ragdolled Josh Gorges a couple of times should remove any doubt.

Kid line! Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher play beautiful music together, let’s keep them on the Lars Eller line, and maybe dial up the ice time a touch. Max and David aren’t back yet, but maybe pairing them with René Bourque or Michael Ryder will spark something.

Jarred Tinordi didn’t do anything outstanding, except bringing his very particular set of skills to the table. He hit and got hit, played physically, but didn’t embarrass himself with the puck like Mark Stuart, the Human Stick Foul Machine, did.

So let’s win the game on Saturday against the guys who try to pretend they have a rivalry with us to bask in our reflected glory, and watch the Bruins fumble away second place on Sunday.

———————————————————————–

• habfanacrossthed says:

Call it a crestfallen team all you want. Habs last 90 minutes of hockey have been better. I think it could be the team’s first win after trailing in the opening period. To rest or not to rest is the question.

I would like it if Coach Therrien could rest Prust, and Markov.
      Ryder Pleks Gionta
      Max Pac DD Bourque
      Galchenyuk Eller Gally
      Armstrong/Leblanc Halpern Dumont

Subban Drewiske
      Beaulieu Diaz
      Tinordi Weber

Price

Keep Calm and Habs on.

GHOD – Go Habs Or Die

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Excellent!
      Maple Leafs = “the guys who try to pretend they have a rivalry with us to bask in our reflected glory”

59. B says:

Who were the 3 stars tonight?

–Go Habs Go!–

60. H.Upmann says:

Been tired all week, and today for the first time ever I actually felt like going bowling…..

61. light_n_tasty says:

OK, so I was at the game tonight, here are my observations:

1. The Markov-Subban pairing at even strength is a disaster waiting to happen

2. Tinordi was excellent

3. Gionta and MaxPac looked lost

4. Habs did not play well but it wasn’t disastrous, and Price was OK (he is still overplaying the puck though)

5. The main problem on the PP is that PK does not utilize Markov. Not sure if this is a PK issue or a coaching issue

6. Habs need to jack up the intensity level or they will be eliminated in 4-5 games.

• BerlinHab says:

1. Markov is one of the best puck-movers in the league. Top 3 I would say. He has lost quite a few steps unfortunately.

2. Tinordi brought something that was certainly missing: rugged, simple and unspectacular play. It’s a welcome blessing to this team.

3. 21 needs to bury something; 67 needs to bury someone.

4. Price is the most “technically sound” goalie in the league: playing angles, playing percentages, virtually few scorable rebounds. However, when his defense falls apart and lets shots from high percentage spots, things falls apart for him (like it would for most goalies).

5. The main problem is that teams have seen video and cover PK. After that things fall apart as they go to Plan B.

6. Intensity wasn’t too bad; confidence in the shitter however it seems.

62. durocher says:

For Saturday, I’d sit Markov for Beaulieu, and Prust for Dumont.

Tinordi (with his 7 hits) made a strong case for remaining in the top 6 for the playoffs. I also think Moen should get used to his seat in the pressbox.

It is true that Ryder is cold, but so are his linemates, Pleks and Gio. Neither are having a particularly stellar year given their salaries.

• kalevine says:

good point about Ryder, he needs teammates to feed him, he’s a goal scorer, not a rusher or stickhandler. His linemates have been a 0 in that department lately. They don’t even pass to each other

I am so unperturbed by whatever will happen Saturday and beyond. I just hope they leave it all out there on the ice. Regardless, I am super proud of this team. 5th over-all with one game left.

No stress. Just do your best.

Looks like the dark days of being a Habs fan are coming to a close.

64. savethepuck says:

From a glass half full guy, I unfortunately have to agree with Carbo. I am sure the Jets got the 2nd intermission speech ” boys we got eliminated but go out and win one for your fans”. Obviously not the same motivation as still having playoff hopes. The 3rd period gave us goals by Gally and MPac that if Price let them in, he’d be tarred and feathered by fans and media, along with a 5 on 3 goal by DD to break his pp drought. Our team is giving up way too many glorious scoring opportunities still, and that worries me.
    Having said that, if someone asks me if I think the Habs can win the Stanley Cup, I’ll say Heck yea.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

65. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

What a joke. The Habs were really lucky to win.It was obvious the Jets were quitting in the third after knowing their season was over. The Laffs will blow them out Saturday night and it’ll be 4 and out in the first round. This is typical of the Habs; make the playoffs, miss the good draft pick, suck in the playoffs and tell the fans that the team has made the playoffs in x out of y years and so the team is a big success. These guys are frauds. Carey Price has to stop swimming in the crease. You can’t drown in ice, Price.

66. shootdapuck says:

Give the CBC what it wants; a resounding Laff victory on HNIC nationwide on a Saturday night but at no cost to the Habs!

Let McClean, Cherry , Healy and Stock pontificate over the greatness of Phaneuf, McLaren etal until the lights go out in Hogtown!

Play the entire Bulldogs team including Tokarski!

Carlyle will no doubt take the opportunity to goon it up as much as possible.

There surely is some magic number of “NHL ” players which must play but the league can’t control how much they play: put Blunden, White, Weber, Ellis, Holland Kaberle(maybe not with MB paranoia of a buyout injury) Dumont, Beaulieu, Patryn and why not Kristo to fill the breach!

Is Stortini still in Hamilton?
    =================================================
    The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
    “Le game est tous de hard work”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

3 picks in the top 40.

68. SPATS says:

Cole levels Gomer in the neutral zone!

OOH AAH – COLE’S ON THE WARPATH!

Now, hopefully Therrien is not going to do anything stupid like sitting Tinordi and putting a stiff like Drewiske in the lineup. Of all the things Bergevin could have done, he did Drewiske. Wtf?

70. FormalWare says:

How can anyone not Love Gallagher? He plays with joy – and is a joy to watch! He’ reminds me of the blue, white and red rubber ball I got for my third birthday!

Jarred Tinordi exceeded expectations. I’m delighted!

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

71. bellcentre hotdog says:

Unlike Carbo, I thought the Habs played very well vs the Jets.

Price was excellent. He looked confident. And his save off the Wheeler break away was huge.
    PK displayed why he is the best young Dman in the league. Winnipegers are idiots for booing him.
    Tinordi brought exactly what the team was lacking … A physical presence on the blue line. He had a real beauty hit on Kane.

The only player I didn’t like was Pleks. His soft dump in resulted in the icing and the defensive zone face off that led to the Jets’ lucky 2nd goal. Too soft.

But this game was the best game in a long while. And against a desperate team.

72. commandant says:

Last 90 minutes of Habs hockey tells me they have turned the corner.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Timo says:

2 of habs 4 lines are utterly useless and that doesn’t surprisingly include DD line. So I would hold off on turning the corner.

You can’t go into playoffs with only 2 line generating something. Nothing in last 90 minutes indicated that Plekanec and Co will be offering anything other than what’s we’ve been seeing from them in the last 3 weeks.

• Just A Guy says:

Pleks is the question mark on that line in terms of playoff performance, but I’m pretty sure he’s going in more rested (and less injured) then he ever has been.

I can’t disagree with you about Desharnais. If this was a full season, I could have seen them put him on the wing. I think, even with his reasonable face-off percentage, he really belongs there. Having a line that can’t start in their own end is not going to help in the playoffs. Galchenyuk isn’t ready and he is an offensive threat, but he still needs that preferential treatment to be put in situations to succeed. Good thing about that is that its making Eller more and more hungry.

73. blu3chip says:

Our first round opponent if we win on Saturday:
    Laffs (39%)
    Rangers (29%)
    Sens (18%)
    Isles (14%)

(from sportsclubstats.com)

74. smiler2729 says:

Then you haven’t read much of the stuff written here…

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

75. Habfan10912 says:

I think I’d play Budaj also.

76. Habfan10912 says:

True dat.

77. philip says:

No,no… Trading Plekanec is the stupidest proposal ever, by far. The geniuses who proposed to trade the Bulldogs (entière team, concession stands and hall the rink included) and Gally for Clowe made more sense. One day, maybe, Eller will be as à complete player as Plekanec, but it will be take couple of years, if ever.

78. Habfan10912 says:

i like the ice time Eller and Galchenyuk were finally getting.

79. Seps says:

You don’t know that.

80. Garbo says:

If the habs take the division, they will not play Toronto in the first round.

81. donmarco says:

Correction- nothing is as important as winning the first round. No matter who we play. Get over your Leafs hang up. And if Pittsburgh and Chicago are guaranteed to play for the Cup, what’s the point of playing the games? It’s been a long time since the first ranked team won the Cup.

82. Blondemon says:

For no other reason, I feel sorry for our fellow Habs fans in TO who paid good money for game 48 only to get gypped of what could otherwise be a great final regular season tilt.

***Drive for 25***

83. Bripro says:

Nova, I understand your frustration toward the officiating and I agree to an extent. And please don’t take this the wrong way, but try and present your argument a little differently, with some punctuation.
    It just makes for a more interesting read. Not criticizing… just saying.

84. Habfan10912 says:

I agree with this post. Pre series postering is a great idea.

85. Habfan10912 says:

Holy crap Nova. I got tired just thinking about watching 2 AND a 3 year old. I think I need a nap. CHeers”

86. The Jackal says:

Wow…. take a chill pill brah, he wasn’t even serious.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

87. Habfan10912 says:

Bripro offered an opinion in good spirits. You offered yours in a more mean spirited way. I won’t tell you to “Shut Up” but may I offer a suggestion to lighten up a little?

Laziness in writing belies an under developed analytical capacity. If you can’t write properly chances are your thinking is also diminished. You can’t come across as intelligent if you can’t even punctuate properly let alone take the time to properly construct a sentence and use paragraph structure.

I know it’s something too difficult for a feeble brain to wrap it’s limited cognitive capacity around.

89. Habsrule1 says:

@Habfan4lfe:
    Wow, I read all the posts in this series, and only one of you sounds like a total dick.

Hint: It’s not Bripro