About last night …

11155889-button-reset-start-over-redo-restart-again-renew-new-reboot-isolated

Canadiens fans, let us draw solace on Sunday.
Not from the scriptures.
From the calendar.
For behold, it is April 14.
Hallelujah!
Were it April 28, loud would be the lamentations in Habland.
As it is, however, two weeks remain until the final game of the regular season – which the Canadiens will play in Toronto on April 27.
If they stink out the ACC again on that Saturday night … well, it will be time for some serious teeth-gnashing, nail-biting and panic button-pushing – especially if April 30 or May 1 is the date of Game 1 in a Montreal-Toronto playoff series.

So everyone chill out.

Mathieu Darche, on L’Antichambre, had a good description of what we saw at the ACC Saturday night: Humility Lesson 2.0.

Remember Feb. 9 at the Bell Centre? The Leafs won 6-0. The winning goal was scored 59 seconds into the game.

This time it took the Leafs almost two whole minutes to get on the board. With Francis Bouillon off for an accidental high-stick, a Canadiens penalty-kill that hadn’t surrendered a goal in seven games was torched within 18 seconds. Tyler Bozak completed a nifty passing play, and Carey Price had no chance on the goal.

The Canadiens’ goaltender was brutal, however, on goals by Leo Komarov and Jay McClement. The latter goal – the third on four Toronto shots – sent Price to the bench, an ignominy he had avoided in that early February loss.

David Drewiske’s goal briefly ignited hopes for a Canadiens comeback, but Dion Phaneuf scored on the first SoG Budaj faced.

Toronto defenceman Mark Fraser blocked three shots during the first period – two more than Price and Budaj combined.

It was that kind of a night.

It happens. You just wish it didn’t happen twice against Toronto in a truncated season.

And you wish it wouldn’t happen to Carey Price against a team the Canadiens might be facing in the first round of the playoffs. Or against James Reimer, who is lifetime 4-2 with two shutouts against the Canadiens.

Move over, Martin Brodeur. make way for James F. Reimer.

In his postgame remarks, Michel Therrien gave his goaltender a vote of confidence. Price has character, the coach said.

“I’m not concerned,” Therrien added. “He’s the kind of athlete who will bounce back.”

Price might have a shot at redemption in that April 27 game. The Eastern Conference standings will determine the significance of Game 48.

If the Canadiens are sitting fourth and the Leafs fifth, the game is a bona-fide playoff preview. And the pressure on Price will be enormous.

He is 11-11-1 against Toronto. Heading into a first-round series, Price has to prove he can beat the Leafs.

But if it’s a nothing game, maybe Budaj starts.

We’ve got two weeks to chew that over. The Canadiens followed that 6-0 loss to the Leafs with five straight wins, but this time they face a very tough schedule.

The game in Toronto was the first of five in eight nights. This is a physical test for the Canadiens, and Brandon Prust got banged-up in Toronto.

The Leafs lead the NHL in hits (and fights), and they laid 47 of them on the Canadiens. Every player in a blue jersey, except Phil Kessel, had a hit; and Ryan O’Byrne had SEVEN. That’s five more than Drewiske, the Canadiens late-season acquisition.

Vincent Damphpusse, on L’Antichambre, described the Canadiens’ effort as “tour croche”, which translates roughly as “f—ed up”. The former Habs captain knocked their lack of emotion, their tendency to give the Leafs odd-man rushes, their failure to be first on the puck.

But for all that, the Canadiens had a 13-5 shot advantage in the first period. With any kind of goaltending …

Down 4-1, however, it was all over but the crying. And the lacuna Damphousse highlighted were much in evidence. The Leafs had a 4-on-1 rush, for cryin’ out loud … and they didn’t score.

Contrast the s–it show in TO with Tampa Bay’s visit to Washington. Down 5-1 five minutes into the second period – as were the Canadiens – the Lightning outshot the Caps 32-14 over 40 minutes and scored four unanswered goals to send the game to overtime. Vincent Lecavalier took a slashing penalty in OT, opening the door for a Mike Green goal that ended it.

The last 40 minutes in Toronto weren’t quite that thrilling.

Maybe the Canadiens were complacent. Their win in Buffalo sewed up a playoff spot. And they didn’t know it while the game was on, but the Canadiens’ loss didn’t cost them first place in the Northeast, as Boston were on their way to a loss in Carolina.

Carolina had 17 shots in the first period, and Tuukka Rask stopped 16 of them. Justin Peters faced four Boston shots, the second of which beat him.

Goaltenders.

Go figure.

1. SmartDog says:

RE PRICE:
    MY OPTIMISTIC VIEW:
    The one positive thing I can say about last night is that Price has shown that he performs better in games that get him up emotionally. A tilt with the Leafs, a team that’s been up and down, the game after securing a playoff place… I can see why his intensity was not at the usual level.

MY CONCERNED VIEW:
    It SERIOUSLY worries me though that Price is at his worst against Boston and Toronto: two teams that are physically punishing, take liberties with players and are often out to hurt people. More than once I’ve seen Price let in a goal after being distracted by one of his teammates getting hurt or taking a big hit. Under that cool exterior, I think is a guy that doesn’t like the rough stuff, and isn’t mentally as solid in the face of it, as many (maybe most) goalies are.

PS: It REALLY sucks to see Ryan F-n O’Byrne look better than most of our D out there. REEEAAALLYYY SUCKS Goat-man-Gainey you pair of hockey-trade imbeciles.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

2. Stuck_in_To. says:

The game looks different in person …

Someone below accused DD of playing without heart or passion or perhaps it was his “berries”. DD fought, fought through, and went to dirty places last night. If the camera missed that, now you know. Patches was the least effective player on the line … he should have been replaced with Prust.

Ryder had a poor game and failed to adapt to the Leafs smothering him. I don’t think he needed to be replaced with Prust. That line needs a bit more time to figure out just how terrifying they could be.

Gionta also had a terrible game and could not seem to control the puck for his life. I think Bourque is too limited for that line too. All the Leafs had to do was mob Pleks and that line was finished.

Maybe Pleks should be centering Patches and Gallagher and DD should be given Bourque and Gionta for a couple of games.

3. Dunboyne Mike says:

That was the Leafs’ A-Game versus Montreal’s D-game.

Seriously, why worry?

Or overreact negatively?

(Or positively: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/04/14/bleeding_blue_crushing_habs_priceless.html

Sample: “I feel sorry for whoever meets us in the first round.”)

4. The Jackal says:

Well folks, after giving last night a sober look, still gotta say the laffs lucked out.
    Got a fluke start, up by 5 in the first after being dominated…. that has been the laffs season all year even when they beat the pens and the b’s.
    It was disappointing, but the boys always bounce back and they will learn not to make some of the mistakes they made last night.

Anyway, had a good time. Kilgour’s is a great place to watch the boys. Got a free jagr shot from the bartender, a pretty cool guy.
    If I didn’t know HIB was out of town, I could have sworn the guy next to me was him, as he had pint after pint with a glass of jagr in the other hand.

On to Philly, where we will get revenge.
    Go HABS GO!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

5. otter649 says:

Not so classy move ? by The Rangers who beat The Islanders 1-0 in OT on Long Island so after the game The Rangers go to centre ice and salut The Ranger Fans who came to Long Island don’t think a team should do that in an opponent’s rink…….

Looks like the NHL has recovered quickly from the lockout as only three teams have subpar attendance. One of those three, Columbus, should bounce back seeing the team is finally turning the corner.
    (BTW, there is no data on how many tickets are discounted or part of a package markdown deal).

7. Maritime Ron says:

OK. Let’s look at the Big Big picture here.

Back in January, who would have been happy to be within a few points of the playoffs and in 9th or 10th place going into the last 2 weeks of the season? My guess is just about everyone with the exception of the Tankers.

Bergevin and management team needed this year to figure things out with a REAL coaching staff behind the bench. The huge bonus is unexpectedly getting to the playoffs where true heart emerges.

Those guys are far from stupid.
    They were dealt a lousy hand and so far have squeezed everything possible out of most. The Habs may win a series and may not. More importantly, there will be BIG changes over the next few years and the team picture will look a lot different.
    Why can’t we just enjoy what was expected to be a bottom 10 finish?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think this year and next year were planned to be transition years all along. All that has happened so far has been a bonus.

• 24 Cups says:

I would agree with that statement and take it one step further. All things considered, Hab fans might have to accept that the team may not be as successful next season, especially over an 82 game schedule. There still could be some major growing pains.

• malbert94 says:

I agree. This year was supposed to be a bridge year. The playoffs would be a big plus. We got a taste of winning ways and now we’re expecting to win every night again.

By bringing in players – a la Bouillon and trading for Ryder – has allowed management to really develop players in the minors for another year. Especially Tinordi and Beaulieu, rather than bringing them up too quickly like we’ve done in the past with, most recently, Guilluame Latendresse.

I am enjoying this season mainly because it came out of nowhere. I love seeing them win, but I understand that there is a bigger time-frame that Marc Bergevin is working with, and that is 2-5 years.

Once guys like Beaulieu, Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Paccioretty, Eller, Desharnais, Price, Subban, Pateryn, etc reach their prime, this team will be a contender for a long time, barring they can keep all their important pieces locked up.

The foundation is certainly there, and the draft we have coming up is only icing on the cake. I would be happy if the Habs were able to steal a round or two in the playoffs, go into the summer with a good draft, and maybe land a top 6 forward to play alongside Plekanec/Galchenyuk/Desharnais.

What do you guys think?

If you see the Habs in a fight with a bear, pray for the bear! Never quit!

• mrhabby says:

You mentioned drafting but it’s not all about drafting…if you want a tougher dman or another scorer you have to give up to get something of quality back..I can see pleks moving or dd moving or gorges moving to get a bobby ryan back…you cannot always wait for draft pics.

• 24 Cups says:

I agree. Any Hab draft picks from this season will need at least three years before they even get into a NHL game. Five years before they make a significant impact.

The team needs to plug some holes using other means of player asset management.

• malbert94 says:

You’re right. It’s not only about drafting at all. I’m not sure who is on the free agent market this year in terms of top 6 scoring forwards, but to land one through free agency would be nice. For some reason, I feel they may try to go after Ryder in the offseason. I think he’s playing himself out of a contract with the Canadiens though. He’s playing that well where they may not want to spend that much money on him. We’ll see.

The six picks in the first two rounds, however, is huge. Bergevin could even move one on draft day to land a top 6 scorer.

I’m not sure who I see as moveable pieces on this team right now… I like the team as it is, for this season. Once players mature and grow into themselves physically, get a little stronger, I think we’ll be in good shape.

If you see the Habs in a fight with a bear, pray for the bear! Never quit!

• mrhabby says:

If ryder wants a long term deal at 5m per year it will not be in mtl..

Still think the team needs to get nastier,bigger. I can see some older players moving this summer….this year gives mb a sample of the team. Quite a few holes but we’re moving in a good direction.

8. JarryPark says:

RE: Price everyone is entitled to their own opinion and personally I disagree with most of them.

Price is a good kid (yes he is still a kid at 25) and is developing. Games like last night are very difficult to watch and unfortunately he needs them to continue developing and maturing….but don’t think for a second he’s ok with it. He will prove all of you so called fans wrong and when he does, I’ll have the biggest smile on my face and I will be proud to be a Habs fan and esp. a Price fan

For the record, I love this team. Even after last night’s game.

9. New says:

That Prust is a pretty smart player. When he went with McLaren he did his best to make McLaren hit his head instead of the base of his skull. Still McLaren tried 11 times, just lucky. Too bad there’s no DQ in hockey. Have to wait on the jerk actually killing someone I guess.

• Ton says:

I think Prust landed the better ones……………when I first saw it happening I went oh no! my son says dont worry dad….Prust is our modern day Nilan……………man can he fight smart.

10. malbert94 says:

I missed last night’s game because I was in a poker tournament. Thank God I didn’t watch it because I don’t think I’d have a TV left after that pasting. I’m sure the barstool and at least the remote control would be through the plasma after the first period.

What the hell happened?

Did they decide to take the night off? What did I miss?

If you see the Habs in a fight with a bear, pray for the bear! Never quit!

11. rhino514 says:

The thing with Price is, just when he starts to play at an elite-level for a while and his save prcentage starts looking good again, he seems to have a game which negates much of the progress.
    Every time he seems to be asserting himself into the the group of top five or six goaltenders…wham, he has a bad game or two.
    It´s frustrating because he´s almost there, but because of these lapses he remains a good, but not great, goalie.
    I say good, because I think he is somwehat better than his stats show; you have to watch the games, and if you watch closely you will see that he makes many saves throughout the year on clear two on ones or three on ones which effectively keep his team in the game. Despite the habs reputation as a decent defensive team, to my mind they leave him more unprotected and give up more quality chances than many other teams.
    I still think as time goes on he will have less of these lapses and become undisputed as a top five goalie, as it he´close but not there. But i do believe he´s good. We tend to forget that every other goalie in the league has games like Carey´last game. he´s maybe had a handful of bad games all year and he has also stolen a handful, despite what many on here say. He´s pretty much in line with the better goalies in the league in this respect.
    A couple of goalies may have unbelievable seasons each year, but even in such cases they are seldom as solid the next year.
    Also, let´s not forget that 48 games is a small statistical sample for a goalie; the difference between looking respectable and looking average is really one bad game this year.

• Alex_425 says:

I wouldn’t quite say it “negates much of the progress”, but it certainly does negate much of the progress of being TALKED about being elite-level, whether you find him deserving of it or not.

But I’m no expert….

12. Steeltown Hab says:

Pacioretty Desharnais are showing no heart out there, split them up, or at least move Gallagher to a line he doesn’t have to carry. Price laid a donut, he does that from time to time. I’ll judge him based on the playoffs, he deserves a 1-off.

Ryder-Plek-Gio
    Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
    Pacioretty – DD – Bourque
    or
    Bourque – Plek – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Eller – Ryder
    Prust – Galchenyuk – Gallagher

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

DD is DD…there is only so much he can do. Max, on the other hand, needs to be more physical. The problem is that they have no back-up. You play a guy like Clarkson with Max and he will become a different player. Like Prust is with Eller and AG.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Exactly it’s more frustrating from Pacioretty, that’s why I think Bourque could help him out the way he’s playing right now

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• 24 Cups says:

MaxPac, Eller, Moen and Bourque are all 6’2″. They need to start playing more like Prust (I’ll give Bourque a pass seeing he just got back from sickbay).

• Steeltown Hab says:

Play physical absolutely, Eller is throwing the body enough for my liking really haven’t seen that from a habs center in a long time. No clue what’s gotten into Pacioretty. Moen and Armstrong have both been just brutal to me this year

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

13. BJ says:

Is it time to bring out the measuring stick again? Demanding week ahead.

14. Andy and the habs says:

There is nothing a hate to wakeup to than people who call themselves fans but loves to see them loose or CBC supporters, a network which was on the verge of giving Canadiens credit for their success last night then the loss… I’ll do something else and come back when we win and the so called fans are under the rock.

15. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Want Prust back with Eller and Chucky. They need someone physical to play with.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Agree, or Bourque, he’s looked solid, Ryder adds a different dimension to Pleks line also.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

16. HUDSONHAB says:

Why is every loss the end of the line for the Habs?
    The Habs have been exposed! They are doomed!
    Lets face it, you can’t start a game like that and expect to win.
    They have lost 1 game in 4 throughout the year. Last I checked playoff series are best of 7. That means the Habs can lose 2 out of seven and still win the series. Do the math.
    Every loss isn’t the end all. Many teams have won the cup while losing three games in a series.
    Chill the f%%k out!
    ….Hab4life….

17. BJ says:

gritandviolence if you are still on in response to your comment about adding Tinordi for toughness. He’s not the answer. He’s not a very good fighter (got his clock cleaned last night). He might be at best a more skilled version of Hal Gill with better wheels. I’ve been suggesting for years here that we are too small and not tough enough. We look like boys playing men when things get physical and the story is much the same in Hamilton.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MB just got the team. It will take two years to fully “toughen” the team. The acquisition of Prust proved he is serious about changing the team. Everybody needs to be patient…

18. HNS says:

The team looked ready to play but Price looked like he was at the rodeo. Budaj let in 2, one a total screen, the other an odd man rush.
    If Price doesn’t take the team deep into the playoffs, it’s adios for him.
    That being said, Price is too inconsistent for this team. Miller could be on his way out of Buffalo. Maybe an option. To me Price is another Theodore. Guy gets his big money contract and goes into the crapper.
    Trade him soon while his stock is still worth something.

• Maritime Ron says:

Miller is 32 years old, a major choker, a dressing room H1N1 human to human bad flu ( I refuse to use that other word) and has 1 year left on his contract at $6.25M.
      No thank you.

Trade him? And replace him with whom?
      Jonathan Bernier that has all of 61 NHL games under his belt and not 1 minute of playoffs? No? Not him? Then whom, and at what cost? Luongo? Please!

• mrhabby says:

Miller…what has he done…ridiculous.

• GrosBill says:

Take Price over Miller any day of the week, even yesterday :)

19. Alex_425 says:

By the way, and I’m sure I’m not the first one to say it here, but, despite hating the Leafs, I gotta give credit to Carlyle for being nice to Price when speaking to the media about that embarrassment of a game last night.

Called him world-class (yes, I know here that’s debatable) and said for sure he’ll bounce back.

I ain’t saying nuthin’ ’bout Kadri, though.

But I’m no expert….

20. Maritime Ron says:

@ The Dude

I am not a Pricebot but I don’t believe you are being fair. Price’s story has yet to be written, and will be written between now and the next 7-10 years.

Some perspective please.
    You know what’s really funny? It’s how another goalie named Ryan Miller always gets a free pass. What’s he ever done besides make an easy save look difficult and throw his team mates under the bus? Sure he had a Vezina in 2010 and so what?

He’s 32 years old and not Carey’s 25 years old. Miller started playing full time for the Sabres at 25 years old the same age as Carey today. In Miller’s 8 full seasons to date, he has lead the Sabres to the post season only 4 times. He has not won a playoff series since 2007. He had won 4 playoff series in his whole career and had some very good teams in front of him in 2006 and 07.

Let Price write his story and let Bergevin rework the D and forward toughness in front of him. We’ll talk again in 2018.

• mrhabby says:

Good points on miller.

• Alex_425 says:

I second that.

Just talking about the NHL here, not including IIHF or anything else, it’s true, Ryan Miller is almost automatically and unhesitatingly lauded as one of the top goaltenders for what feels like every year since… ’06, ’07, around there, that time where Buffalo was “the team to beat” in the East, and where everybody talked about Vanek all the bloody time (at least in my circle of friends).

But I’m no expert….

• The Dude says:

Maritime Ron …and what if Carey doesn’t get his game together 2018? Are we sposed to wait for 2020 lol

21. sheds88 says:

does anyone know if white is injured ? last night would have been a good night to put him in the lineup. wouldn’t have changed the outcome of the game but at least he hits

22. hab fan in leaf jungle says:

For those suggesting that Tinordi should be brought up and asked to take on the likes of Orr, McLaren and Fraser: Get a reality check and then a brain. The kid will be KILLED if he fought the heavyweights in the NHL. Remember the kid from Ottawa and he is a regular goon in Junior. The Tinordi kid is Hal Gill 2.0. He is not that good a fighter and he is just a baby; he is 6’6″ and weighs 205. Think about that. That’d be like throwing a 4 month old German Shepherd pup against a 5-year old fight-experienced Pit Bull. Moen and Prust are all we’ve got. You don’t need any one tougher if the team plays a hell of a lot better than they did last night. They stunk. If the Habs were leading 4-0 at the end of the 1st, Colton Orr would have been benched and McClement and McLaren would be playing a very clean game. It’s all about the score. Price HAS to be better. For 6.5M per he is not earning his salary.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I agree with you.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agreed that Tinordi shouldn’t be fighting in the NHL at this point but to call him Hal Gill 2.0 is a joke. The guy had fought a ton in junior and is working on that craft in the AHL as well.

He’s going to put on about 25 more pounds before he’s done and be an absolute monster capable of taking on 98.9% of the players in the NHL.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Disagree. He can fight and has fought some tough guys in the AHL. Should it be his responsibility with the Habs now? Of course not. That is the job of a so called leader who got a new 4 year 1.8 million contract in the off season.

23. Alex_425 says:

Good morning, everyone. Enough sleep really helps get the frustration out after a stinker like last night, so good thing I got mine.

I got all my stuff done that I needed to do yesterday, so I get to just curl up and relax all day. Can’t say the same for Therrien and the boys, though, they’ve got some hard work and video watching to do today.

But I’m no expert….

24. Bill says:

Hey Timo buddy, cheer up, everything is gonna be alright :)

25. commandant says:

Just like I said after the Buffalo game, it was a weird one and you can’t read much into it.

The Habs came out the better team and dominated the first 10 minutes, but were down 3-0 on two bad goals.

So what did they do… went back to work, dominated again, got a goal, and made a game of it at 3-1.

Then Budaj let in another bad goal.

And after dominating the first period, it was 4-1 Toronto…. that deflated the team.

It was weird in that Price won’t be letting in 3 goals in 4 shots again any time soon, and if the Habs dominate the Leafs in that way, we’ll be fine. Game should have been 1-1 in the first INT, with all the momentum and a PP for the Habs, instead it was 4-1 and that was all she wrote.

Just like the Buffalo game, you can’t read into it more than that.

As for Price, his save percentage was .919 in the second half of the season (before last night) so I think this is just a one game hiccup (And everyone has bad games). No need for the teeth gnashing here either.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

Woke up today and yep, still hate Price and the rest of the stiff for the last night.

27. PrimeTime says:

Nothing worse than an embarrassing loss to the Leafs but on the bright side we are still in 2nd place , the sun is shining, and this team is better than its worst games. Every team, including last nights winning teams, can make make improvements and I trust MB recognizes these areas better than us fans. Losing to Toronto sucks moreso

28. The Dude says:

Pricebots are killing the Canadiens with their year after year placing Price before the Canadiens…Admit it ,you people don’t care about the Habs ….you care bout Carey ,period. And I’ll prove it right now ! Carey Price is way overpaid at $6.5 million per season for 6 years and be honest . Look Carey Price is a good goalie but far from great and he’s played for quite a while now so there’s no excuses . And ya you can bring all the other excuses as you blame the rest of the team or the Refs or the fans but the truth is it’s you dam Pricebots that are causing all of this,so take Carey season record and SHOVE THEM cause yesterdays 3 horrible ‘laughing stock goals for all the Country to see’ on 4 shots vs the hated Leafs was an embarrassment for all Habs fans! So hate that and not the facts ! And I’ll tell you this…With MB if Carey doesn’t start getting his game together on BIG GAMES AND PLAY-OFF ‘S the n he’s on the way out!

29. Bill says:

Actually (again probably because I didn’t get to watch the game haha) I’m HAPPY about the result. Let me explain.

1. It’s a wake up call for a team that has had a lot of things go their this season. A reminder that if you let your guard down, any other team will eat you alive. Post-clinch complacency played a part in this one, but it won’t happen again. This team likes wake-up calls, as we saw the last time Toronto pasted the Habs. Habs will be hungry down the stretch. Eye of the tiger.

2) Price. He has been the most questioned goaltender in the league since his second season. Even more than Luongo. Great skills, great potential, but always there has been this sub current of doubt. Which is stupid IMO. Nonetheless, I think it is better to have this game highlight and emphasize all the doubt that some feel towards him. He has something to prove, and it’s out in the open, and I believe he responds well to pressure and will be stoked and motivated to prove who he is in the playoffs.

3) We can all feel the Habs and Leafs on a collision course for the first round. I would rather go into it with the Habs as the underdog based on the regular season dominance the Leafs have enjoyed. The Leafs think they have the Habs’ number? Awesome. Please go on thinking that. Believe it with all your heart. Because I know, and you know, that the Habs have played their absolute worst and most uncharacteristic games this year against the Leafs. Who they are against the Leafs so far is not who they are. And there is a TON of character in that dressing room – Gionta, Markov, Plekanec, Prust, Gallagher, Subban, Price, Gorges, Bouillon, Pacioretty – who will not be defined by a couple of flukey games against a flukey team with a long tradition of suckitude.

4) Actual reality. The Habs have a better team than the Leafs. I keep saying it and keep waiting for it to happen. It hasn’t yet but it will. The Leafs luck will run out. Even they know it.

Bring on the Leafs in the first round. These Habs will not let themselves down when it’s on the line.

• HabFab says:

Other then being Happy about the loss, I support this post!

• Timo says:

Lots of pink lemonade for you in this morning, Bill? Way to sugar coat.

• harpman says:

Habs beat themselves in 2 of the 3 losses. In the 2-1 loss the team did not show up till the 3rd period and last night our goalie did not show up. The Habs are in the playoffs and I am sure they will be firing on all cylinders when the chips are down.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I would put my money on Montreal in the series as well. I agree with 90% of your post.

But there’s two things that concern me.

The first is that if we’re going to lose the series it’s because the bigger and stronger Leafs will wear down our confidence, get their legs moving, hammer our smaller players and plow though our defense.

And the second is, after we do beat them, we’ll probably have sustained an injury or two and be in an equally physical series the next round and get trounced.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

You know what is funny…we’re debating about two teams who are not going to win the Cup.

• Danno says:

I approve this message.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

30. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I think MB is now regretting not getting more D depth at the deadline. He gambled there would not be injuries and he lost.

• gK_HabsFan says:

I’m not sure… Diaz has been skating by himself for a few days. I don’t think it will be long before he’s back with the team.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I give Diaz about three playoff games before he’s crushed into the boards and gone for the season.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I like Diaz but I’m not sure if he and Markov will make a difference 5 on 5. I’m really worried about the lack of physicality with Emelin going down.

• sheds88 says:

i am all for getting a big dman, ( my first choice is to trade gorges for one) but i think a lot of people forget how good Diaz was before the injury. his hockey IQ and positional skills are so good he doesn’t have to be as physicval. how valuable was Lidstrom to the Wings without being physical.
        NOTE : i am not comparing Diaz to Lidstrom, just their style of game

• Ton says:

I was looking for the first one in this thread to say what you exactly said. his “hockey IQ and positional skills” along with his exceptional skating ability (edges) don’t put him in a position to be hit very often. Well said.

31. gK_HabsFan says:

Couple of thoughts from last night:

– I’ll start off by stating the obvious, and say that last night was the worst I have ever seen Price play. The 2nd and 3rd goals were just plain bad. But, like we’ve seen many times in the past, Price will bounce back.

– 4 goals on 5 shots? I thought the Habs outplayed the Leafs in the first, but some bad goaltending and luck on the Leafs side definitely put us behind the eight ball.

– I have to say, I didn’t like the way MT started the game. In my opinion, his decisions earlier in the game should be questioned. He tried to match the Leafs rough and tough style by putting Prust out in the opening lineup. The second shift of the game went to the 4th line, where we got caught running around in our own zone and Boullion took the penalty. From there on in, everything was just down hill. I prefer if we stick to what we excel at, and that’s smart and fast hockey. If he were to put out a scoring line that generated a few scoring chances, the whole game could have been different.

– In all honesty, I am not afraid to play these guys in the PO. Both games where we were “blown-out”, they had crazy shooting luck. That kind of play is just not sustainable over a playoff series.

– I like to believe this was an anomaly. They just clinched a playoff seed against a team they absolutely dominated, so I guess this kind of drop in play can be “expected”.

– I rather the team suck now than suck closer to, or during the playoffs. You pay more attention to what you’re bad at when you lose. So hopefully they work out the kinks…

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Who really remembers any regular season games? Maybe 5-10 max? What counts are the playoffs and we will see then…

32. Frank2468 says:

I was going to respond to the troll moving about the forum today but guess the Admins are on the job and deleting comments from little green men from Toronto that live under the Humber River bridge. LOL

33. CranbrookEd says:

The sun has successfully risen despite of the result last night. Yes, Price stunk, but will recover. On the first goal, while killing a penalty, Pleks never skated to take the open player. You don’t have to be a fighter to use your body to dish-out a check every now and then, to keep the other team honest . . . yes Max, I am talking about you – don’t just use your body after you feel “wronged”, use it all of time and stand in front of the other team’s net . . . did he not learn anything while watching Cole last year? Moen . . . is he hurt? Otherwise, why is he such a non-entity on every shift, game in and game out. Most everyone agrees that as a whole, the team does need to get bigger . . . but we have some fairly big guys now who don’t use their size . . . so “big” alone is not the answer . . . somewhat larger with the desire/heart of Gallagher is what is needed . . .

Yes, much of the lose last night can be hung around Price’s neck . . . but if the forwards score no goals in a game and the team ends up with only one, that of course meant that only a shutout would have resulted in two points . . .

This is a good team . . . last night was not a good team game for the HABS . . . it was a good team game for the Leaves . . . now to move onward towards winning the remaining 7 games! :)

CranbrookEd
    Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”! . . . What ever happened to Johnny Jelly-Bean!?

• sheds88 says:

Bourque Eller Max Moen are all big bodies that don’t hit. i know they are skilled players and often aren’t the physical type. but imagine how dangerous these guys would be ( except moen ) if they started laying the body a bit more. those types of players are highly sought after. maybe if it’s not in them, it’s not in them……sigh

34. Skeptical says:

A lot of people on here seem to think you win Hockey games by fighting. No No NO you win Hockey games with skill, Speed and Toughness. we have two of those requirements but the one to beat the Leafs and some other teams we don’t have and that’s (Toughness)

when you’re getting hammered every time you have the puck. It kinda makes you wanna not play anymore and it interferes with doing anything on the scoreboard. The game I watched last night reminded me of that.

Yes bad goals killed us but. That wasn’t all. Toronto would still have beaten us 2-1 or 3-1 just the way they played.

35. ont fan says:

We should trade Price for Jimmy Howard. He has a reasonable contract.

36. Frank2468 says:

You know when Healy was saying that Price was breaking in new pads on Saturday night and probably wished he hadn’t? Well there’s more to that story then what was told. Apparently Price had gone to a bar on Friday night for a couple of pops and it seems he ran into O’Byrne at the bar and later it was reported that Price had is old pads stolen.

37. BKAK72 says:

It doesn’t take a genius to figure out too many HABS were playing with a hangover. Slow footed, disconnected, beer-league goals. The experts can dissect this all they want IMO too many were still reeling over the effects of a Friday booze fest.

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

38. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Is it just me or does Markov look like he needs someone with a physical presence to play with? Even if Diaz come back to play with him, I will still be worried…

39. 1010 says:

Kadri running over players like he`s a physical presence. Well of course the little puke is. He`s got MARCHANDITIS

• 1010 says:

That is you can play like you ae tough because you have a whole team full of gorillas to back your play. He is another little dirt bag running kicking sand on the beach and he loves it.

• mksness says:

Subban does the same thing and you love him for it. problem last night is not one hab gave 2 fs to even give him a face rub of a small message to smarten up

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Subban hits guys without the puck like Kadri?…right…

• mksness says:

buddy he has his share of runs at players this year. tell eller to grow a pair and stand up for himself after a hit. alteast gally did that.

my issue was not with kadri but with the habs response

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I agree about the lack of response. Eller looked bad last night and he needs to grow a set if he wants to last in this league. Disagree about equating Subban and Kadri. Subban takes runs at guys coming into a zone which is what a D-man is supposed to do. Kadri runs guys from behind or the blind side and laughs and does not drop his gloves. There is a difference between clean and dirty hits.

• 1010 says:

Uhhhh. sorry. You are right. Subban runs around knocking people over because he know Max or Eller will play gorilla for him. Good point.

• stevieray says:

I was hoping that Subban would line Kadri up with one of his big hits…at least that would of gave me some joy from last nites game !!..

40. AceMagnum says:

Living in Toronto is Hell this morning!!!

Well… it is every morning, but more so today.

Do you know what people in St Louis are doing right now? They are on their way downtown to a hockey game against Chicago. NBC has the Blues and Blackhawks starting at 11:30 a.m. local time so the network can show the game in the 12:30 eastern time slot. This is happening because NBC doesn’t want to compete against The Masters.

42. Bill says:

Again, I didn’t see the game … but in the context of the rest of the season, would it not be reasonable to say that last night’s game was anomalous?

Price isn’t going to allow three goals on four shots very often. And the Habs are not gonna blow as bad as last night very often. Right?

Leafs have been winning games like this all season. Crazy shooting percentages and getting outshot but getting lucky. I don’t want to face them until their luck runs out, but I still don’t think that team is better than the Habs.

• Hobie Hansen says:

It’s definitely a very flukey start that cost us the game. Then it turned into Kadri and others Leafs players running at out guys all night.

I flipped to the baseball game for most of the 3rd…

43. Hobie Hansen says:

Fighting and body checking doesn’t win you games on its own. But night after night of being out muscled and taunted really wears on a team’s confidence.

The Habs have Prust to go out there a turn the tide and rough up a player but he’s alone. Not nearly enough.

Are we the only team in the league who doesn’t have a defensman who would drop the gloves or spend the night whacking and slashing and hitting players in front of our net?

Some teams have 3 or 4 guys like that on defense. We have NONE!.

Take a look a the defense on Pittsburgh, Boston and Toronto compared to ours. It’s like men against boys. Markov and Subban are just fine the way they are but after that things really have to change.

44. Skeptical says:

Say what you want. Sure price let in a couple of soft one’s But we played way too soft. when you play like that you’re chances of winning is very slim. we got beat both on the scoreboard and physically. Same as the 6-0 game.

We have more speed than the Leafs and we have more skill and I can go as far as to say in that department we can match any team in the league but we’re way too soft and I could add too many small players.

Soft and small is what’s gonna kill us in the playoffs. we’ll be lucky to get out of the first round. if we try to be tough. Injuries will get us. Bottom line we’re just not made for the toughness. Lots of speed and skill but I’m afraid that just won’t do it.

Not knocking the team. I am proud of them. they play with what they have speed and skill but they won’t prevail in the playoffs.

45. habsguy says:

discusting to see our players run over, to see someone like kadri standing over Eller and nothing happens to him is F@#$% up, could you see that happening if a Hab (heaven forbid) ran over kadri or kessel. To see little Gally as our most physical player being man handled by the leafs D was sickening. Could Moen, Max, Bourque, Drew or Halpern not throw a damn body check. Why can their 4th line play like freight trains while ours plays like pansies, is orr or mcclaren that much better then Moen. We have some big guys on our team, and until they start sticking up for our smaller talented players ….. well it wont be pretty..
    I’m not saying they can match the leafs in the physical dept, but kadri runs over 2 of our players, someone should have run him over !!!!!!!

• coppi928 says:

who is going to through a body check besides Prust? Moen? Max? this team is reading all the healines &web reports on team speed and skill. They are all elite playes relying on skill. There is nothing worse for me after being a fan for 50+ yrs than loosing to the Leafs. They way they have been manhandled similar to last yr when Boston rag dolled them my blood pressure just boiled. Get some team toughness, real powerforwards. Anyone

46. gritandviolenceforthecup says:

The only thing mt can do from here is call up tinordi. Give the rookie a chance to stick up for his mates…

• The Cat says:

Habs have some that do, but the problem is they get thrown under a bus if the other team scores a PP goal. IMO this stands as MT’s only blunder this year (bashing White via the media).

47. JohnBellyful says:

I hope this doesn’t come across as whining – which some would seem to characterize anything that doesn’t shrug off last night’s dismal performance by the Canadiens – but is it so hard to give the Leafs their due? Sure, their goals-per-shots ratio seems unsustainably high but, given the sample size, it can’t be easily dismissed.
    Can they count on bad goals come the playoffs? I would think not but a lot of things happen in the playoffs that don’t go according to form (for example, which Fleury will show up for Pittsburgh this post-season?).
    In any event, they’re just as capable of scoring off pretty passing plays, as was evidenced last night as well, the first and fifth goals.
    The Leafs have a winning record, and the gap between them and Canadiens isn’t that large, six points. Both teams have their flaws but as it stands now, the Leafs would make a formidable foe if they were to play the Canadiens in the first round.
    None of this is intended to diminish what the Habs have accomplished this season, much more than any of us expected, but their elevated play shouldn’t blind us to what other teams have achieved this season and are capable of doing when the playoffs begin.

• HabFanSince72 says:

“is it so hard to give the Leafs their due?”

Yes it is, John.

Yes it is.

• JohnBellyful says:

Okaaay … what about if we were to give them a thumb’s up … in the eye?
        A show of respect that’s truculent.
        How could the Leafs not like it?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

The Leafs remind me of an NFL team that gives up a lot of yards but no scores. They have a “bend not break” defense. The supplement this style with physicality so they can’t be broken down. Offensively, they are opportunists. You have to play disciplined and go to the dirty areas to beat them. The Habs didn’t last night.

• ont fan says:

Your absolutely right John, but in our area, it’s not going to be pleasant for the next week.

• coppi928 says:

Agree, the Leafs are a good team, tough, big d that plays a good system & young with hunger. Look Randy isn’t afraid to sit anyone who isn’t playing the way he wants them to play. We on the ohter hand team concept crap, too many passengers & 2 to many small players. I’m not knocking the small players but you can’t have more than one. We have one on every line, beside Gally who is going to dig the puck out of the corner?

48. What really erked the heck out of me was Eller and Gallagher getting hammered. (Plus Carey playing bad didn’t help but that’s only happened a few times and every goalie has nights like that, eh Patty?)

I could not believe the our bigger lads didn’t go out the very next shift and flattened everything in their path. (Coach?)

Whitie and Blunden would have been all over that!

Shake up the fourth line, they are in their comfort zone, and need a wake up call. When (not very often) teams start walking all over us we need a crash and full of fire 4th line.

Therrien get on it!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• Hobie Hansen says:

I Love the job Therrien has done but I’m not sure what’s going on with that 4th line? Moen and White (when he’s dressed) look as if they’re on strict orders not to fight or even go out of their way to hit anyone?

And like you said, you’d think someone would flatten Kessel or Kadri as a response to our players getting hit.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t like saying this but, except for Prust and Boullion, everybody’s scared of the Leafs. Something should have happened to Kadri, especially with the game out of hand. Nobody had the guts to even hit him. White will play next time. Blunden too even though he won’t do anything.

• mrhabby says:

Kadri declined gally, he can do that because he has orr and company who have his back.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Yeah and even Cherry said he has to fight if he plays like that. Kadri won’t however because he is a punk like Marchand.

• frontenac1 says:

The rep. is now out on Kadri. Somebody will elbow him in the head. Just like Rat Boy.

• showey47 says:

Gallagher challenged kadri but he wussed out.

• ont fan says:

I would guess that’s going to be addressed with a Prust riding shotgun the next time. After watching kadri the last few weeks he’d better learn to fight ’cause he’s been throwing his weight around like he’s a White.

49. frontenac1 says:

Ok amigos. It was my fault for the bad Mojo last night. I ate sushi and drank sake before the game.Never again! On a positive note ,Drewiske got a goal and I didn’t fall down after numerous Single malts in the 2nd Period. Saludos!

50. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Listening to TO reporters saying there was a “playoff atmosphere” last night…how would they know?

51. ArmyFan says:

Still frustrated as hell about last night, but stuff happens. A defensive breakdown leads to a nice goal (no chance for Price), then 2 softies, and it’s pretty much over. The team fought back, but at that point the Leafs (as any team would) are in shutdown mode and the game becomes super-tight. Habs start taking chances to open it up, the Leafs take advantage to create odd-man rushes.

My point is that if even one of those first 2 softies is stopped, the game dynamic is completely different. Even though I’m a Price supporter, this one’s on him, as I’m sure he would heartily agree because he’s a stand-up guy. The team still has a couple of missing pieces, but the sky is not falling.

Have a great Sunday.

52. Old Bald Bird says:

@RM et al

Geez louise. Did you not see that those 3 goals had mostly to do with speed, skill and LUCK on the Leaf’s part and nothing else? Can no one else see that they fly and dance around our zone? This happens most games against the Leafs. Despite the fact that Habs are supposedly the fast and skilled team, I see the Leafs as outskating and outskilling them in most games. I must be wrong because no one else seems to see it this way.

The belligerence factor is another issue. It must be addressed in due time, but it is really the side issue IMO.

• L Elle says:

But why waste an excellent opportunity to rage against Price? ;)

Seriously, I don’t know why some are reluctant to give Leafs credit. Habs’ coaches have some planning to do if these 2 teams meet in the playoffs.

• The Cat says:

I think when Kadri flattened a couple of habs and the habs did nothing wasnt good. Especially when Kadri stood over Eller, there shouldve been a payback. Habs forwards (except Prust and Gallagher) played like they were intimidated.

• coppi928 says:

good observation, they are just a fast with way more toughness. We don’t match up with them. In a series I could see the Habs loosing in 5 because of the matchups.

53. I come here to have fun, and cheer my team on. I come here to intereact with people I know.

I do not come here to whine, bitch, complain and laugh at my Canadiens.

For every 5000 members, there are 200 that are so negative that I wonder what kind of person you are.

I wonder how people like you are so negative, all the time.

Then I thank the lord I am who I am.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• ont fan says:

The only thing more depressing than the game last night is coming on here and listening to the downer posters.

• It’s like these people need the Habs to win to make them feel like a winner. I wonder if they are natural leaders in life or followers.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

• ont fan says:

Think of the people who live with them. The sky must be falling on a regular basis.

• showey47 says:

The funny thing is the majority of them don’t show thier faces after a win. I guess they really need to get their whining in after a loss when the chance arises cause they have had to go weeks without the chance to whine on more then one occasion this year.

• There are members here this morning posting multiple times, I can’t remember seeing so many different “I told you so Posts”. Good for them. Like you said, they aren’t here often.

If the Leafs think that last night was a preview of the real habs then they’re in for a rude awakening.

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures

• coppi928 says:

Not true, lets be real, it’s a downer because we know we don’t matchup well, the Leafs are just as fast, tougher, bigger d that forces our small players to the outside. We agree beside Gally no one else to to the net. Yes we have better goaltending, our d is missing Emmy. We have big expectations but reality is this is a rebuilding yr.

54. New says:

I think it is important to remember that this team finished last in the East 2011-12. The team was dreadfully coached and managed. This year they managed to get to the playoffs. Last night you saw that they can easily be beaten when things don’t go right, just like last year. Some teams can make things not go right, sometimes you do it to yourself. But the achievement of the Habs this year has been to compete most games and most periods. They might not have the size to muck it out but they give it what they have. You make your own luck in hockey. Pretty proud of these guys for playing hard all season.

55. mksness says:

in his post game interview, MT mentioned that this isn’t a rivalry since the teams haven’t met in the playoffs… What the hell was that remark about? two huge hockey markets who think they are the center of the hockey universe competing and it’s a nothing game?

If that’s the message he is sending to the team prior to the start of the game kinda easy to think why they didn’t show up.

56. Hobie Hansen says:

That game was a total fluke. Montreal actually out played Toronto in the 1st period and were down 4-1 and they actually out shot Toronto in the game 37-28. Unfortunately, Carey Price blew it.

I still have confidence in Price and don’t agree with all his bashers but it’s pretty hard not say he’s going through some problems this year. He’s going to have to rattle off one heck of a stretch of games to finish the season for me to regain total confidence in him.

And the whole toughness thing, did the Leafs win last night because Kadri leveled Eller and Gallagher, no! However, enough is enough here. Bergevin’s main focus this summer better be to surround guys like Eller and Gallagher with some damn toughness!

I don’t want a 4th line goon, I want a few more guys who are 6’2″ or 6’3″ out there that will go out of their way to level opposing players.

I have no idea, well maybe I do (French), why in the hell Bergevin signed Desharnais? And I can’t wait until Gionta’s contract is done. Love Gionta’s heart but he’s one too many midgets on this team.

I was wrong, I said the toughness and size on Toronto is nothing to worry about. I think we can still beat Toronto in a 7-gamer but we’ll be damn lucky if a few of our guys aren’t seriously hurt by the end.

I’m sick and tired of looking down the bench and seeing small guys like Desharnais, Gionta and Gallagher. And then some of the larger guys like Pacioretty and Eller are the biggest pussies in the NHL.

Two tough forwards and two tough defenseman that can play the damn game is what Bergevin must acquire. I don’t want a Bruins or Leafs prototype for our roster but for “F” sakes, get some guys with a bit of toughness and some balls.

For over a decade we’ve been the laughing stock of the NHL and I’m sick and tired of having a team of Smurfs!

57. Maritime Ron says:

I think more people are pizzedoff about what team we lost to. If that was Winnipeg, it would be a different reaction.

The game was far from over at 3-0. At 3-1 with about 7 minutes left in the 1st, Markov hits the post. That goes in and it’s a new game. But nope, then Phaneuf gets another softie. Then it was game over.

We’re in deep doodoo if referees put whistles in pocket. Kadri vs Gallagher Eller last night reminded me of Marchand vs. the Sedin twinies in the Cup final. A little big man getting away with everything and no answer back.

• Ian Cobb says:

Ron! Your right about the reff’s, they are just awful most games over the whole league. Weakest link over all in the NHL.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hello Ian. It happens every year. We just need a big presence on the 4th line. Last year Prust had John Scott Dubinski, Bickel, Rupp. This year he’s alone. I have trouble remembering a softer Habs squad than the one we have now. Do you?

We need to protect our little guys of which we have 2 too many.

• mrhabby says:

2010… Was much softer..think back.

• coppi928 says:

It’s brutal, I remember watching Bouchard, Nilan, Kordic, Corson, Chatraw, etc, etc. Heck even last yr once we aquired a fighter at least we knew he would take care of the fighting, this yr?

• mrhabby says:

Prust was brought in but he cannot do it all himself. You have to think mb will address this over the summer and going into next year..the team will look alot different in a year or two.

• mksness says:

Habs to Moen, do something… or hey maybe even eller could get a little angry and smash kadri back…

58. Bim says:

From a fans perspective if I were MT Budaj would be my man in net for any series versus Leafs. Price simply cannot stop the puck. MT’s choices unfortunately are narrow because Price has ably demonstrated that he cannot stop the puck against Boston either. Don’t underestimate Mr. Budaj. He is a very good goalie.

59. Danno says:

Was last night maybe an intentional loss so that the Habs could jockey playoff positions and have the Leafs play Boston in the first round?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

60. Mr_MacDougall says:

Wow people.

The Habs lost because Price put them in a hole they couldn’t get out of. Simple.

I am a Price supporter, but this loss is on him. The Habs do not fear this Leaf team, and are still a better team. Not a single GM in the league would swap the Habs roster for the Leafs.

Dont be so sensitive! One game, had the Habs won 5-1 would it be a guaranteed Cup? no!

Support the Habs.

61. piper says:

I watched the game with some Leaf fan buddies last night. I even had my Nilan T shirt on for the game. F—– embarassing. I’m a big believer in Price but I got a little pissed off at him after the 3 quick goals and one of my buddies suggested the Habs should trade him to the Leafs for Kadri and a first. So i’m sure there are lots of other teams out there that would love to have him. Goalies usually prime in their late 20s early 30s so we better hang on to him.

62. frontenac1 says:

Those Leafs are Big guys. 47 hits last night? Hope Diaz is back for the next time to even out the count and add some muscle.

63. Top Corner says:

Just giving the loafs some false hope prior to the playoffs !!

64. When our Habs have Gionta, Gallagher & Desharnais playing top 6 minutes its going to have an effect on the outcome playing bigger teams. Puck possession is how the game is controlled. Habs D is not that big either compare to Laffs D. Emelin is a big lost and was leading the team in hits.

Is it time to split up Pacs & DD? One would think? Habs needs to find the right line combinations for remainder of season. PK cannot be relied upon to do all the hitting back on D. Habs lack size to a degree and will be challenge to step up when it counts.

Team speed is a great thing to have but when other teams sit back and wait for a mistake to happen it might cause our Habs to give up a goal or two as a result of odd man rushes like last night.

Price indeed had a bad game but that happens in a game. Price needs to be Price for our Habs to have a chance to move on into playoffs. Price is the Habs best player and carries a heavy burden to play well each night he is in nets.

Lets see where the remainding games will play out before it hits the fan. I for believes the Habs can be better and it has been a great season so far. For a team that was to finish behind the Laffs according to experts and not make the playoffs goes to show how our Habs has played this year.

MB will address the team needs during this off season. Habs have a great future in the kids and will be a team to reckon with when this team has a couple of player who can have a point per game ratio. In the meantime, enjoy this great season so far and lets see what our Habs have left in the tank for a promising playoff run. Keep the faith and quit adding poison to this Great site that us Habs Fans enjoy commenting.

Its good to get fustrations out but do not point fingers at individuals who has a bad game from time to time. Its a team game and every player has responsibilites to perform night in and night out. Keep er going boys!!! I hate losing to the Laffs and Broons!!! Oh me nerves!!! Do not have any left!!! RAW!!! RAW!!!

Go Habs Go!!!

65. RetroMikey says:

Move on everyone, bet everyone here believed speed and skill with the Habs would beat Toronto……wrong!
    After reading everyone’s comments the past 2 days, I LMAO when over 90% of fans posting here felt we were going to win.
    Here’s my fearless prediction…..
    Yeah, we’ll make the playoffs but flounder to 4th place or even it come down to the wire the last game to determine if we end up 5th in the standings with Toronto, we’ll panic and choke.
    Does everyone now believe a no name, no skill, but physical team like that gritty Toronto team is for real? They are peaking folks.
    Carlyle has figured Therrien’s system, he is a good coach.
    Speaking of coaches, I would put Budaj in every game to see if he is the goalie with the “eye of the tiger” to lead the team in the playoffs.
    Sorry to say it, but Price is not the man IMO, heck I’ll take a Reimer if he came available.
    I know I will get many fans here shedding crocodile tears with my comments but we’ve been disappointed too long with the hype of our teams in the past years.
    We need size and grit to succeed with this team, not the old days of smaller players with speed and skill.
    Enjoy the blessed Sunday fans, yes it’s only 1 game as everyone says, but what will you all say when we meet them in the playoffs?
    Bergevin needs to wake up and so do most of the fans here.
    I’m sure many of you will be sweating more.
    Not me and others who see what needs the team needs for a 25th Cup.
    47 hits against us? Wow, big is better I say in the NHL, not the KHL where the Habs would fare better.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

Last night!
    Only two things went wrong last night.!
    1 Boullion had a brain cramp and took a stupid penalty, thinking he was now a top 4 D.
    2nd Cary Price had signed just to many autograph’s before the game and forgot he had to compete.!
    The game was over at the 5 min. mark!
    I just wonder what Therrien has for a message or a plan B for a push back.?
    I have enjoyed as you all have this year, the amazing performance by our bran new and young group. It would appear though, that Bergevin has just a little more work to do before we have our parade.

• RetroMikey says:

Ian, hockey is a game of 60 minutes.
      Back in 2008 we were down 5-0 to the Rangers and came back to win it 6-5.
      No lame excuses why we lost.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• New says:

I think it is interesting how we as fans see the playoff race as being the Habs positioning. There are three teams that would like to draw the Canadiens first, and another two that wouldn’t mind. Two others shrug and think better than the others. Yes 20 years and counting but at least this year there are signs the team might one day contend.

67. Danno says:

Three goals on four shots, and if that doesn’t deflate a hockey team nothing will.
    Habs Humbled In Hogtown

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

68. showey47 says:

You know whats funny? A couple of years ago under JM when the habs won a game where we got so little shots on goal the same people would complain that we just got lucky and caught a team and or goalie on a bad night.

69. CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s nothing to get worked up about. A lousy game with lousy goaltending from Price. He’s generally steady, but every goalie messes up sometimes.

When he’s on, he has a wired look to him – quick movements, alert posture, a quick reaction when he does get beaten, and a different overall body language than the past few games.
    He’s in there with sagging shoulders, a slow sulkiness after he gives up goals, and too much economy of movement. I hope he rediscovers his mojo soon.

He can be an enigmatic athlete to watch, seemingly moody. In many ways, he reminds me of Dryden. I always felt the team in front of Dryden carried him, after he established himself with his early flurry of playoff brilliance. Price has not had a great team in front of him – still doesn’t. But now he has a very good one to grow with. Criticizing both Dryden and Price in the same paragraph will get me roasted, but.

Price is good, in spite of last night. Like this team, he has a lot to prove. If the near future of this team is as good as it looks, then he can start the process of creating his clutch, playoff legacy. He doesn’t have one of those yet. Bring it on.

70. WindsorHab-10 says:

I can take a loss to the Bruins despite my hatred but losing to the Leafs & making them look better than what they really are is painful. The more I watched the game last night, the more I want to play these bums in the first round. Still pissed off at Price.

71. dr zgembo adislic says:

guud mornin’ everyone, last night I was really angry at price and the team I guess emotions had packed me real hard but today with my head clear its another story, I mean lets not overreact when the habs lose and it doesnt matter how they lose we cant win every game and lets not forget that we just began with the rebuild-mode so I guess we reached this season more then anyone had expected of us, and the playoffs and what happens in the playoffs its just a bonus.

\\m//