About last night …

Celebrate

As is customary after wins this season, your Montreal Canadiens gathered at centre ice to salute their Bell Centre fans after the final horn sounded.
The players raised their sticks to acknowledge a 3-0 conquest of the hapless Rangers, but there was something else worth celebrating, something that transcended the 10th home win of this remarkable season.
The Canadiens have exorcised the ghost of Scott Gomez.

After Rangers general manager Glen Sather unloaded his worst contract on Bob Gainey, Montreal fans endured three miserable seasons of Gomez.

With an annual salary cap hit of $7.4 million, Gomez scored 12 goals and added 47 assists during his first season in blue-blanc-rouge. He had another two goals and 12 assists during the team’s miraculous 2010 playoff run.

That was the high-water mark. In his second season in Montreal, Gomez’s totals slipped to seven goals and 31 assists. A year ago, it was two goals and nine assists.

And then he was gone. But even after new GM Marc Bergevin sent Gomez packing, the bitter memories lingered.

With Gomez’s salary off their books, the Rangers signed Marian Gaborik. They added Brad Richards and, this season, Rick Nash. The rising star of their defence was Ryan McDonagh, a former Canadiens’ first-round draft choice who was a throw-in in the Gomez deal.

Last season, the Rangers topped the Eastern Conference with 109 points. Their goal differential was plus-39.

And the team Scott Gomez was playing for finished dead last with a differential of minus-14.

A year later, however, the Rangers are clinging to eighth place in the Eastern Conference. Their differential is minus-6, and they have scored fewer goals than any other team in the NHL.

The Canadiens played the Rangers three times this season. They won every game – two by Carey Price shutouts.

The Canadiens owned those Broadway Blue asses. And while the dominance doesn’t compensate for three miserable seasons of Gomez, it does feel good to see Sather’s team stuck with another overpaid, under-producing “star”.

Marian Gaborik’s cap hit is $7.5 million. He’s on the Rangers’ fourth line.

Brad Richards, with a cap hit of $6.7 million, is slow and ineffective. Nash – the Rangers’ $7.8 million man – had one shot on goal against the Canadiens.

Brendan Gallagher is making a prorated $870,000 this season. He got his 11th goal against the Rangers and busted his butt on every shift. Gallagher is restoring honour to jersey number 11, worn with distinction by Saku Koivu before the powers that be allowed the escutcheon to be tarnished by letting Gomez have number 11.

Let’s review: The new number 11 has scored 11 … and counting. Gomez is number 23 in San Jose, and the days may be numbered for Sather in New York.

The Rangers were prepared to play a good game Saturday. They fired 17 shots at Price during the first period. He stopped them all, while Michael Ryder and Tomas Plekanec were beating Martin Biron.

The visitors were held to eight shots in the second period, nine in the third. The Canadiens played smart, disciplined – and, truth be told, frequently boring – hockey to solidify their hold on first place in the Northeast Division.

The only penalty was a first-period interference minor to P.K. Subban. With their best defenceman in the box, the Canadiens held the Rangers power play to three shots on goal. Fresh out of the box, P.K. broke 2-on-1 with Plekanec and watched his teammate beat Biron with a 30-foot rocket.

I thought Plekanec and Gallagher were the Canadiens’ best forwards. P.K. led the D, as usual, with three assists and three SoG.

Nathan Beaulieu, the latest rookie defenceman into the revolving door created by Raphael Diaz’s injury, outshone his predecessors, Greg Pateryn and Jarred Tinordi. Beaulieu played 17:17, including 1:04 on the power-play. There were some jitters, but Beaulieu was paired with wise old vet Francis Bouillon, who’s been running a Dman daycare since Diaz went down.

Beaulieu was drafted in the first round of the 2011 draft. At 17th overall, he was the Canadiens’ highest defenceman pick since 2007.

That was the year the Canadiens used the 12th overall pick to take – wait for it – Ryan McDonagh – 10 picks ahead of Max Pacioretty, 31 spots ahead of P.K. Subban.

In the 1998 draft, the 27th and final pick of the first round was Scott Gomez, who had 19 goals and 70 points with New Jersey – rookie numbers good enough to win Gomez the Calder Trophy.

In the 2010 draft, 146 players were picked ahead of Brendan Gallagher.

You just never know.

1. jols101 says:

Just read the tweets from Stu Cowan. 17,000 fans at today’s Habs open practice. Incredible.

2. habsfan0 says:

All things remaining equal,Habs will finish 2nd in conference and play 7th seed New Jersey Devils.
    Price vs Brodeur.
    I’m not sure I like this matchup.

• johnnylarue says:

Prior to this season I’d have felt the same way, but it seems like we’ve finally got the Brodeur monkey of our backs in recent times.

That said, knowing his proclivity for elevating his game a notch in the playoffs…

• ffenliv says:

There’s also the Kovalchuk factor. He’s out, which has to hurt them, but does he return in time for a nice playoff boost?

3. JIMVINNY says:

Karma is not crosby’s friend. Tampers with the Iggy trade, gets a broken jaw a minute into Iginla’s first game.

4. Habhopeful says:

If Ryan Clowe holds the cards and has a full NMC or NTC then we could see something like the Iginla situation.

I doubt Clowe re-signs in San Jose so Doug Wilson may look to atleast get something in return for him rather than nothing, I think thats what Boston/Montreal and whoever is looking to trade for him see and Doug Wilson is trying to squeeze the crap out of the lemons he has and will wait until the absolute last minute before trading him.

• johnnylarue says:

No one will give up a first pick for “this season’s” Clowe, and I don’t think MB will trade for him unless there’s a contract extension in the deal. And that said, I’m not sure MB even likes Clowe enough to want to keep him around for another couple of years…

I have a feeling we’ll know more about this in, say, three days.

5. smiler2729 says:

Thanks Curtis

6. Habhopeful says:

Eric Nystrom & or Curtis Glencross I bet is who MB is targeting as a depth player. they would be ideal, in order to not lose major assets, and if MB chases a Dman, make it Yandle, but that will cost us

Add Kristo to our lineup and add Moen as a trade piece.

Bam, done. being a GM isnt hard at all.

• Habfan17 says:

If you are saying sign and trade Kristo, I don’t see why the Habs would. They have been waiting for him and he has speed to burn and skill, not to mention a bit of nasty. Just what the Habs need.

Habfan17

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Curtis Glencross almost surely took less money from the flames than he could have gotten on the open market last year and he made made it really clear that staying in Calgary with a no-trade clause was the most important thing to him. Here’s a Link to a story about Curtis Glencross’ prefered lifestyle. I don’t imagine he’d waive his no-trade clause to go anywhere.

“If Danny Kristo is as good as Chris Kreider I think we should let him wear #9.”
      - Sean Bonjovi

7. Mavid says:

Christ Crosby has a broken jaw…what a shame..that young man cannot catch a break..hope he gets better soon..good time for Iggy to step it up and show what he is made of..

• Curtis O Habs says:

Other than His divine talent, multi million dollar contract, Stanley cup ring, Art Ross, etc. Poor guy can`t catch a break.

• Mavid says:

I was referring to the fact that he was having a decent season after missing a lot of time with concussions.. and now he probably done for the regular season..broken jaw, concussion like symptoms in my opinion its a shame and I feel bad for him..I don’t need a list of his accomplishments…thanks anyway

• johnnylarue says:

Considering how hard it is to stay healthy in today’s game–not to mention how many fewer goals are being scored nowadays–I wonder how many “next Gretzky’s” we’ll see before some actually has a legitimate shot at his all-time points records?

• Curtis O Habs says:

Sorry. That was the booze talkin`.

8. smiler2729 says:

Crap! Missed the 24CH episode, anybody know when it’s on again?

9. Boomer says:

Didn’t MB make it clear he wasn’t gonna trade for a rental?

• commandant says:

He said he wouldn’t mortgage the future for a rental, not that he wouldn’t trade for a rental.

I think this means we are out as far as big names are concerned, but wouldn’t be surprised to see a depth player acquired for a later round pick or middling prospect or something.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Boomer says:

I wouldn’t mind a defenceman to go with Bouillon (no disrespect to Beaulieu or tinordi or Pateryn). But I’m glad he’s not gonna sacrifice the future of the team for a rental.

10. Steven says:

Quick question for you guys:

If we do pick up Jagr like a lot of you are recommending, and assuming we don’t send a roster player the other way to get him(I heard they wanted a pick anyway), where does he play?

First thought is on either wing of Plekanec, but who do you bump off that line, then? My first thought would be Gionta. That line becomes rather big that way, even if not entirely physical. I think Jagr would compliment the line a little better than Gio anyway.

In that case, Gio gets bumped down to play with Eller and Galchenyuk. What if Bourque comes back? Who goes where then? Of course, it’s a very happy dilemma, but worth the thought anyway.

11. kirk_is_work says:

Been catching up on 24CH.

Became pretty clear why White went after Ott in that Sabres game. White wears a left knee brace for a clear knee issue he has. Looks like Ott targeted that very knee. Was it intentional or not, hard to tell but if it was then these guys do their research, and that’s dirty.

12. Mikey_39 says:

I hope the habs get Jagr. He’s a good friend of Plecky’s and they play so well together. It’d be cool if they did because Plecky has been a consistent hard working player for us, and never complains about the revolving wingers he’s had the last couple of years. I think he’d appreciate playing with Jagr and take his game to another level.

13. Sean Bonjovi says:

Just taking my new signature for a test drive.

“If Danny Kristo’s as good as Chris Kreider I think we should let him wear #9.”
    - Sean Bonjovi

• HabFab says:

Who is Chris Kreider?

• jols101 says:

Isn’t Chris Kreider the kid the Rangers picked right after the Habs picked LL in the first round back in 2009 ?

• otter649 says:

According to Pierre McGuire (last year) Habs have no prospects to match Kreider who will be a Calder trophy candidate this season more or less guanteed but this year he has been a healthy scratch on more than a few occasions as well spending time in The AHL & 4th liner in The NHL but PM says it’s not the kids fault things have not turned out well for him it’s coach’s fault because of the way he’s treated him so PM extensive NHL coaching experience comes out once again….

• Mark C says:

I preferred that old signature in which you stated AK46 was a better player than Pacioretty.

That was you, right?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I still believe that about 45 % of the time.

“If Danny Kristo’s as good as Chris Kreider I think we should let him wear #9.”
        - Sean Bonjovi

14. HabFab says:

Wow! Gordie and Ted look really old! And I guess it is because they are. Happy Birthday Mr Howe!

15. Stevie.Ray says:

I think the price for Clowe will be driven up beceause of a bidding war between MTL and BOS, but ultimately BOS will overpay for him.

I think MB will then look to DAL for Jagr. He’s been more productive than Clowe this season, he adds solid leadership, he’s a big body, and he would be good alongside Gally27. MB showed some interest in him this summer, so I expect he would still be somewhat interested in him again.

Thoughts?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If a forward comes in, one has to go out…who? Last night’s line-up looks like the one they will be going into the playoffs with. I’d love to see Moen dealt and replaced but I don’t think that is going to happen. The only replacement I see coming is one for Diaz…a right-handed defenceman. That is why I would prefer Robidas instead of Jagr from Dallas.

• Habfan17 says:

I think MB is driving up the price to stick it them bruins

Habfan17

• Habfan10912 says:

17 you could be right. Not sure where all the Clowe love has come from. Especially given the news that Bourque is back skating.

• Habfan17 says:

10912 – I could never understand it. Clowe’s production was down last season and is way down this one. After trading Cole, it made no sense to me given that Clowe will want big money to resign and the team is not in a rental player position right now. They are more like Ottawa.

Habfan17

16. habsfan0 says:

It’s unfortunate about Crosby.
    The Penguins seem to be running into a fair share of injuries.
    It will be interesting to see how they cope with them.

17. jols101 says:

Boy are we getting ahead of ourselves regarding Kristo.
    I have read comparisons to Patrick Kane, Pavel Datsyuk, and Mike Bossy.
    Yikes!!! Let’s just hope Kristo becomes a NHL hockey player. We should probably forgo superstar status until he plays a few games. lol.

18. HabFab says:

Pens confirm Sid has a broken jaw and hope he is back by the playoffs. Paul Martin has a broken hand and is out 4-6 weeks.

19. habstrinifan says:

I find the claim that Kristo is an ‘answer’ for the playoffs to be somewhat delusional. Is it harsh to remind everyone that while obviously an outstanding player, Kristo’s efforts could not save his team from exit in a college torunament. How is he going to come in and impact NHL playoffs.

• likehoy says:

he’s not the answer to the playoffs

that being said.. it’s more an idea of depth, thinking we’d have 3 graet puck handlers on the 3rd line (galchenyuk, eller, kristo), but they’ll get man-handled in their own zone and would have a lot of trouble getting the puck out of the zone at the NHL level.

• Habfan17 says:

I think it would be very good having kristo. It would not be the first time a rookie came in late and had a terrific play off for the Habs, if he does! With Bourque out, why not give Kristo a look?

Habfan17

• Fransaskois says:

I agree with Kristo being a good player and a solid prospect. However, I’m concerned with the fact that all of our bigger players would be relegated to the fourth line. If we hadn’t picked up Ryder then it would be a totally different story. Look at this,

Paccioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
          Ryder-Plekanec-Gionta
          Kristo-Eller-Galchenyuk
          Prust-Halpern-Moen

White/Armstrong

That’s a pretty tender line up. You could argue that 8/9 of our top players are small or soft, non-playoff hockey players. Not that I believe in all that. Just a little concerned is all.

• HabFab says:

It is delusional and Kristo hasn’t even signed yet, let alone made the team. Sports fans are crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest tweets out of Pittsburgh say broken jaw but no concussion symptoms. Also will have more dental work done later in week, is expected back for playoffs.

21. likehoy says:

from the first time I watched Danny Kristo, I felt like he had Patrick Kane’s shake n bake, but he probably lacks the high end skill that Kane has.. never know though, with his speed, and puck handling skills, teach him how to back check and you might find yourself with a pavel datsyuk

22. frontenac1 says:

@habfan10912. I would agree with your Bro 100% amigo! The Last CH24 showed it. Between periods in the earlier Boston game when Prust took on Lucic,just listen to what Mike says about Prust in front of the team. They came back to win the game. He is The Heartbeat of The Habs.

23. habstrinifan says:

Discussion among HabFab, HabinBurlington,Habfan10912(aka the WORM) and johnnylarue(aka the Candy Man) re Kristo.

Conclusion.. He has Chris Chris Higgins speed with Mike Bossy’s hands.

If that is the case… then it’s to heck with the Bridge contract… lock this guy up for 7 long ones at 7 big ones right now.

• EL_PRESEDENTE says:

Yes but will he even be signed to his EL contract?

Okay, but in fairness the Bossy line was said with some sarcasm, thus the coffee on your tax return. :)

• habstrinifan says:

I liked your discussion and my reaction was excitement. But then I started reading other posts which went too far… some seeing MB has having made movs to clear space for Kristo. I doubt that scenario but then again what do I know?
        My initial startled reaction to your comparisons was more like “imagine a Bossy type” in our line up…WOW!

• johnnylarue says:

While I wasn’t the guy who brought up Bossy, Kristo is definitely the kind of player you want on the ice in the last five minutes of a game with your team trailing by a goal. He seems to bring it when it matters most.

I have a feeling he’s not a happy camper today. That championship meant a lot to him.

24. EL_PRESEDENTE says:

Are you sure you guys want Clowe? His centre is none other then the feared Scotty Gomez! It could bring back the curse.

25. habsnuts says:

The Canucks took kassian when the wild put him on waivers and blocked us as MB wanted to pick him up. Today the Nucks sent him down to the minors….maybe we can get him cheap now….hes a big boy that can take care of himself pretty good. even if he takes a beating at least he can take chara or lucy off the ice with him for 5-10 mins.

26. D Mex says:

CBC reporting Crosby out indefinitely with broken jaw.
    In other news, Avery calling for Torts to go – lol – star wars NYC :-)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

27. Curtis O Habs says:

I`ll say it again; sign Kristo and package him and whomever to Phoenix for Martin Hanzal. And yes Loonie, target Yandle as well. Two talents wasting away in the sun. Molson must have some pull being the Habs generate plenty of revenue for the Yotes.

28. Habfan10912 says:

Just got off the phone with my brother who is an avid NY Ranger fan. The conversation quickly turned to Prust. He gives two big reasons for the Rangers lack of success this season. First was losing Prust. He felt Prust was the glue in the locker room and was always willing to do anything for the good of the team. Other players including the stars followed his lead (sound familiar?). Now, they have no one to do that and stars have reverted back to their old habits. His other reason was laid at Torts. He’s noticed that recently we’ve seen a kinder gentler Torts. He feels that is because he’s lost the room. He says the other players are siding with Gaborik in his battle with the coach.
    I think he’s right.

Torterella lost that room after the playoffs last year in my opinion. After an excellent regular season, and gritty efforts in the playoffs, he continually chewed out and called out Gaborik, who was playing with a seperated shoulder. At some point the players must have realized the coach was just being an idiot plain and simple.

I think when he took on long time MSG employee Sam Rosen, that he soon after got a talking to from Sather or Dolan. MSG is the bread and butter of that whole sports ownership group and he felt he was able to play bully with one of their longest serving faces of the MSG Network. Again, a pretty stupid decision made by Fonzie. Except banging his fist isn’t making anything work better anymore.

• jmsheehy19 says:

This year again, he demoted Gaborik to the 3rd line and was giving Pyatt more ice time. When he did that, Gaborik was leading the team in goals and second in points. Terrible mismanagement of an elite talent.

• habstrinifan says:

Nice report..sounds valid.

So Detroit had just beaten Anaheim twice I think a few games ago and today are getting trounced 7-0 by Hawks. How quick things can change.

30. koiviss says:

Anyone know what Prust’s status is with his foot?

31. jols101 says:

Hawks are just destroying the Wings – 7-0.

Watching the game it is hard to determine if the Hawks are just that good or if the Wings are just really bad.

• HabFab says:

And no respect towards Gordie Howe day… bunch of Philistines!!!

Didn’t see your post, sorry duplicating. Hawks are great, especially when you consider Sharp and Hossa aren’t even playing today. Apparantly if playoffs were to start today they would have dressed. Unbelievable roster in Chicago.

• jols101 says:

Chicago has a great line up for sure. The Detroit D just look extremely slow and porous. Wing’s goal tending also looks brutal. I realize Chicago has a top notch team but was wondering if this 7-1 score was indicative of their greatness or Detroit’s mediocrity.

32. Bardya says:

We don’t need anyone up front, and it’s 2 late to trade Gionta. At this point it could hurt the team off the ice.

33. The Dude says:

The biggest reason the Habs have in acquiring Clowe is to dam make sure the Bruins don’t……I don’t want to imagine a Booins team with Lurch,Lucy,Clowe and the rest of their goofs.

• D Mex says:

Thinking seems to be that Boston’s goon tactics are less of an issue come playoffs, so the situation you describe is more of a concern in relation to remaining regular-season games – no ?

Personally, I’m good watching TO vs Boston with this crew – lol

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• Timo says:

None of whom can really skate. I am all for Habs getting a bit more truculence on the top 2 lines I just don’t think Clowe is the answer. His performance this year has been worse than DD and on par with Gomer, so I don’t see him being a great upgrade from Moen.

More likely than not Habs won’t make any changes to the current roster unless they add a #6 dman with some muscle (which I doubt).

34. D Mex says:

According to reports, Kaberle has cleared waivers. I understand this provides options in terms of roster placement, Hamilton among them. I’m wondering how this helps and / or hinders any dealing MB may be contemplating on this front.

Q : IF, however (un)likely, the AHL turns out to be his next stop, would this set the table for him having to clear re-entry in a subsequent return to the NHL (eg : in concert with a trade scenario), and
    – IS it correct that any ‘ risk ‘ associated with re-entry waivers would rest with the Habs – anyone ?

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• HabFab says:

1. No more re-entry waivers under new CBA
      2. Habs do not have to send him to Hamilton just because he cleared but can wait. Don’t believe they would have to clear him again unless they actually played him BUT not swearing the gospel on that one.
      3. Well informed sources say he will not be sent down unless roster room is needed prior to the Trading deadline. After the deadline there is no roster limit.

35. HabFab says:

Some of Kristo’s best this season;

As I have watched him score goals over his career, the player I related him to was Ryder as far as shooting. Kid loves to shoot, but he was wheels and moves that Ryder can only dream off. Can he bring it to the next level…stay tuned!

• Habfan10912 says:

Frank, to me he resembles Chris Higgins with hands. Very fast skater.

• HabFab says:

Okay then, a hybrid of Higgins & Ryder :)

So your saying he is Mike Bossy? :)

• HabFab says:

One can only dream!

I’d be happy with a Ryder with wheels or a Higgins with hands though.

• habstrinifan says:

I hope you can explain to Revenue Canada why there is a cup of coffee all over my tax return. I just sat right up..and overturned everything.

• Habfan10912 says:

In our dreams. Bossy was one of the all time greats. :)

• johnnylarue says:

MAJOR set of wheels on that kid. Great wrist shot.

I still associate Higgins with the word ‘flop’–the fault of my own bloated expectations–so I’m hesitant to use him as a comparison, but I suppose the Ryder/Higgins hybrid makes sense. (So long as we’re talking the early career Higgins, who was routinely earmarked as future captain material.)

Don’t know whether he’s ready to make the jump straight to the NHL–notwithstanding the fact that we don’t have much room on the roster for him–but I expect him to be a solid 2nd line winger in the NHL before too long.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yep Johnny I was referring to the early Higgins. Saw Higgins play in Albany when he was with Hamilton and saw a very good hockey player in the mix. For some reason he got off track a bit.

36. HabFab says:

RealKyper – #87update. Can confirm #Penguins Crosby had surgery yesterday to his jaw. Extent of the damage still being evaluated 2day. Out indefinitely

The nice thing about the Habs as we approach the trade deadline is that MB is dealing from a position of strength. The Habs were not expected to be in this position at the start of the year, I have to believe MB didn’t expect the team to be battling for the Conference lead this season.

While he cannot ignore the opportunity the team has this year, he is also not in a must win the cup position. Teams like Vancouver, Pittsburgh and Boston are expected to compete for the big hardware this season and are more prone to make a mistake at the deadline in an effort to get immediate results.

I still have to think Vancouver makes a move, and perhaps Gillis panics and ends up trading Schneider to get immediate gains. Seems more and more likely no one will give up any decent package for Luongo.

• Sportfan says:

Montreal will make a minor move that will help us in the playoffs but nothing overboard

• smiler2729 says:

How’s it going HiB? I haven’t been on here too often this season, lovckout pissed me off and now the Habs are so good, there’s nothing to really bitch about…

And also my laptop’s keyboard is damaged (I have to use the On-Screen Keyboard to type ‘e’ and ‘c’.

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.

Hey Smiler, good to see you on here. Things are going pretty good. Absolutely loving watching this team this year. CHeers bud and Happy Easter. I have to go to my third big feast of the weekend shortly.

• deuce6 says:

Just imagine if Bergevin was to win a cup in his 1st season as the Habs GM? lol The guy’s blazer would be raised to the rafters..lol

I hope he doesn’t see the mirage and goes for that kind of glory..

——————
      Brandon Prust doesn’t have hair on his testicles, because hair does not grow on steel….

I am thinking that the Habs will make one move very soon. I suspect that Kaberle was waived to open up space for signing Danny Kristo.

Call it a gut feeling.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I don’t see that. Bringing in a small forward like Kristo for the playoffs would be fine if we weren’t already chalk full of similar style players. And there isn’t really a spot for him, especially being a rookie. He would end up on the third line maybe

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Kristo would slot in very well with Eller and Galchenyuk. That would be a terrific kid line with lots of scoring potential. It would allow Prust to play more of a fourth-line role. The way Therrien actively manages his lines, Prust could slot in occasionally on other lines to create space for guys if they are struggling.

I think Kristo would be a dynamite pickup for us. He is WAY better than any forward we have at Hamilton and he is more skilled than many of the players we have in Montreal.

• HardHabits says:

I could see that. I could also see Kristo with Patches and DD and move Gally1 with Eller and Gally2. Options. Good to have them. :-D

• 24 Cups says:

I seriously doubt the Habs would go far in the playoffs with three kids who have a combined 64 games of pro experience. Add a possible 4th on the D and you may be in trouble.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

24 Cups:

I don’t think anyone expected us to do so well with the two Gallys all year, but here we are, 2nd in the Conference.

I don’t think anyone realistically expects us to make a serious cup run either, even with all our success. Giving young players playoff experience would be a good thing for their development. Think PK coming up in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

My question to you:
            Who could we realistically add without giving up too much who could potentially have a bigger impact than Kristo right now?

• HardHabits says:

I am not so conservative in my thinking. I think the Habs have to challenge convention and believe that they can go far even with many of their roster players still seeming wet behind the ears.

The Habs can stick to their development guns and still make a realistic play at an unexpected rebuilding deep play-off run, maybe even go all the way to the big dance, as is, prospect pool intact and all.

• 24 Cups says:

Jan – Jagr. Your points are valid and there is part of me that says let’s just see where it all goes and give the kids some experience. Look at it as a growth situation. Then I think why not try and replace Bourque and Diaz with two mid level rentals just in case the magic continues. The Habs could easily give up Ellis, their own 2nd and a 3rd rounder without abandoning their rebuild program.

Dave – I made my statement under the premise that we thought the Habs could get to the final this year. The Pens are in real trouble with their injuries so it’s just Boston that theoretically might stand in our way. Gallagher I can live with but Kristo is totally unproven and Galchenyuk looks like he’s hit the rookie wall.

• vegas says:

so where would Bourque play???

Bourque / Plek / Ryder
          Max / DD / Gally
          Chucky / Eller / Gionta
          Prust / Halpern / Armstrong
          Moen / White / Kristo

Moen has to go

Gorges / Subban
          Markov / Emelin
          ??? / Boullion
          Diaz
          Beaulieu
          Weber
          Tinordi
          Pateryn

If we Diaz doesn’t get back, we will probably have to convert Gorges back to the right side. I don’t se Boullion there and I still don’t understand why we extended him unless he will be slotted number 7 or 8

• Habfan17 says:

He isn’t that small. since when is 5’11″ small? Granted, he is not a power forward, but he has a nasty edge with skill and speed. He would probably fit on the 3rd line.

Habfan17

• Sportfan says:

Maybe its for a trade that has a decent sized contract

• frontenac1 says:

I”ve never seen the kid play. Is he really that good?

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I agree HH. This is what I have been saying for weeks. Our biggest deadline acquisition will be Kristo.

I see MB making some depth moves at the deadline if he pulls the trigger at all. Maybe he surprises us and moves a veteran we don’t see coming (i.e. Markov or Gionta) if the return is too good to pass up.

Up front though, I just don’t see any of the big-name options being much better than what we have already or better than Bourque when he comes back.

Kristo would bring tremendous skill and enthusiasm. Could be a great pickup for the stretch run.

39. Bash says:

Trades are a reality of pro hockey of course. Chemistry might be a challenge when major changes are made (see Rangers) but when the new player coming in has leadership qualities (see Iginla, Morrow) chemistry is not a concern.
    In all likelihood we need a #5-6 D and a power forward, no secret here.
    But who to give up if is a roster player is required?
    Moen is the only answer.
    As for a prospect, Pateryn can get us that D man.
    Picks are much tougher to part with so I would not consider any more than a 3rd rounder.

I am convinced that MB will get it done!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

40. commandant says:

I was really impressed by Beaulieu yesterday. He played better defensively than I expected after watching in Hamilton.

That said, its just one game, so I still think we’ll add a d.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Trisomy 21 says:

Hopefully he realizes how well he played and develops from there with that confidence

• habs_54321 says:

im not sure whats wrong with hamilton this year it seems EVERYONE is underperforming from what i saw from beaulieu last night he should be on pace for over 40 points with the dogs this year, is it the coaching? i haven’t watched any bulldogs games this year but i can tell something is very wrong with that team

1st year head Coach, 1st year for a great many of the players, and plain and simple very little offense on that roster.

Team gets much better next year and after. This is the result of too many years trading away picks at the deadline for rentals. Pipeline had been tapped out. Finally getting some depth. I don’t think any reason to be concerned about this seasons win/loss record.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

They have no forwards worth mentioning. Leblanc hasn’t been the same since he got injured early in the year. None of the other forwards have any offensive creativity to speak of at the pro level.

It’s hard for offensive defensemen to pick up points when the forwards can’t finish.

Most points for defensemen come from moving the puck quickly up the ice to the forwards or else they come from the power play. Hamilton’s forwards aren’t good at creating chances off the rush and their power play is non-existent.

Skilled players always do better when they are matched with other skilled players.

41. ooder says:

btw two things that have really surprised me are the skating of Halpern and Boullion.
    I never remembered these guys being very good skaters but man Boullion is frekaing smooth.
    As for halpern, maybe it’s because he played under JM and never got the chance to forecheck, but I never realised how fast and agile he was.

42. Strummer says:

Mr. Hockey looking good at 85.

Happy Birthday!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

Do we have any idea if Kristo has an agent, and whom that would be?

• ABHabsfan says:

College athletes are not allowed agents. He would have to quit school first, get an agent, then sign. He probably has some kind of “advisor” though.

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• B says:

I don’t know if he has one yet, but I don’t believe he was allowed to have one while an NCAA player (although some have “advisors” but I am not sure on the difference, being paid perhaps?).

2 Tweets I read today:
      TSNBobMcKenzie: Now that UND’s season/Danny Kristo’s college career are over, MTL will work to get him signed. No one seems to anticipate any issues.

TSNBobMcKenzie: MTL wants him, Kristo appears keen to sign. Kristo could go UFA by waiting til Aug but if that was his aim, could’ve done it last summer.

–Go Habs Go!–

• B says:

FYI, I dug and found this:

“Many advisors are registered NHLPA agents, which can lead to some confusion among families. While the NCAA does not allow student-athletes to have agents, they can have family advisors – even if the same person is also an agent.”

*Do not accept gifts of any kind from an advisor, including money, meals, travel expenses, equipment, etc.
        *Do not enter into an agreement – either signed or verbally – to have an advisor represent the player as an agent in the future.
        *Do not ask the advisor to market your son’s abilities to professional teams.
        *Do plan to compensate the advisor for their services; failure to do so may be considered the player receiving a gift from the advisor, which would be an NCAA violation. This compensation shouldn’t be extravagant – do not expect that one advisor is more valuable simply because they charge more. You don’t always get what you pay for.

–Go Habs Go!–

Hopefully when he does decide to get an agent/advisor he picks a good one. Would hate to see him hook up with with that screwball who represents Halak.

44. B says:

Two Habs are in the top 5 for points by a Dman. Good stuff!

–Go Habs Go!–

45. Dr.Rex says:

A Moen plus prospect for Clowe could work for both teams a a poster suggested earlier. The main reason for the Sharks dealing Clowe is because they will most likely not re-sign him. With Moen they get a player under contract who can play a similar yet less physical game. But, Moen does have a goal this year unlike Clowe. BONUS

46. habstrinifan says:

Totally unrelated but frightening real world event.

From CNN.COM:

“Two months ago, a Texas district attorney vowed to put away the “scum” who had killed one of his top deputies.

Now, the district attorney and his wife are dead. And authorities aren’t sure whether their killings are part of a broader scheme targeting criminal justice officials.”

Something scary wrong is going on there.

47. Dr.Rex says:

John Jaekel wrote that:

- Goats has been scouting Habs a bit lately focusing on both Emelin and Eller.
    - Chicago has had previous interest in Diaz.
    - San Jose is still asking for a 1st for Clowe.

48. t1tan5 says:

MB has been taking a kind of “Moneyball” type approach to building this team. Instead of chasing highly sought after players, he takes players that address very specific needs on the team. Need a faceoff guy who kills penalties? Jeff Halpern. Need third line rejuvenation? Brandon Prust. Need a right handed shot on the power play? Hello, Michael Ryder. I think this will continue going towards the deadline. I don’t expect us to get umbrella solutions like Jagr or Clowe, but probably a D with some offensive upside.

• sheds88 says:

do we need another D-Man with offensive up side ? i think we should get a big, stay at home, crease clearing D-Man

• HardHabits says:

Habs already have Beaulieu and Tinordi.

• sheds88 says:

beaulieu still has a few years before he is a crease clearing defense man. it looks like he will have great skill at both ends of the ice once he fully develops.

• t1tan5 says:

Based on the second wave of the PP, I would say yes. At the moment, we have two defensemen (PK and Markov) that have any offensive abilities whatsoever. I’m not including Beaulieu since we don’t know if he’ll stick. If Diaz were to come back, then I would agree that a crease-clearing D-man would be priority #1. With Diaz’s health uncertain, I would place a D with offensive upside (note: not necessarily a pure offensive defenseman per se) as the main target for MB.

• vegas says:

so If Diaz comes back healthy and we pick up a n=big crease clearing guy, who sits? Boullion? They just extended him and management have a man crush on him

• smiley says:

How about both? Sheldon Souray!

49. HabFab says:

Hab UFA’s come July;

Budaj – G

DeSantis – D
    St Denis – D

Ryder – F
    Armstrong – F
    Halpern – F
    Nokelainen – F

• Dust says:

it all comes down to what the players ask for. I assume you resign Budaj as he seems to have a good relationship with price and is able to step in no problem. I know a lot of people here seem to like ST Denis but he is an ahler so unless he signs a minor league deal no thanks.

The big question is Ryder. What will he ask for. Will the habs have room to sign him. I don’t know. That is the one i’m curious about

50. CHasman says:

Two games ago I said Budaj stole the game from Boston. Well last night Price did the same thing. Without his stellar performance in the first period the Rangers could have been up by 2 or 3 goals and then we would have had a different game. Top notch goaltending is a requirement in this league if you want to win consistently and it can turn a game as it did the last two. We have lost some games because of opposing goalies and it is nice to be on the other side of the coin on this occasion.

51. 3-0 Hawks, three goals in under 2 minutes!

Oh my!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

52. HabFab says:

Bourque back skating at Brossard.

• Ron says:

Thats great, hope he gets back for playoffs in a healthy condition. Going to need him.

• Skeptical says:

That’s exactly what I’m saying. Why get rid of players who got this team where they are and having fun just for the sake of hoping a player coming in is gonna do better. I haven’t seen a Habs team this happy in 20 years. If it happens it happens. Just hope MB is 100% sure of such move …..

53. PrashadHabs says:

Read that Clowe is willing to lift his trade clause for Habs, Bruins and Rangers.

Depends on price for him though

Subban’s prorated stats for an 82 game schedule would be 29/50/79/17PPG. That would have equalled Karlsson’s totals from last year except that Subban would have a higher goal count.

I watched the game again on After Hours last night and apart from the stellar play of Subban, Price and Gallagher the one player I noticed all night, and it wasn’t because I decided to focus my attention on him, was Beaulieu.

Beaulieu played an exceptional game for his 1st NHL outing. It wasn’t flawless. He got out-muscled or out-played twice in his own zone which led to scoring chances close in on Price. Fortunately Price was aggressive last night, challenging players at the top of the crease and tracking pucks with predatorial ease so those chances turned to naught for the Rangers.

What really stood out about Beaulieu’s play were his excellent tape to tape passes and his creativity in the O-zone. After one game he’s shown that he is the most NHL ready ahead of both Pateryn and Tinordi.

With next season having Markov, Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Diaz and Bouillon already signed means the D is set and the Habs have the luxury of having 3 potential call-ups, who although not completely NHL ready are very close, in case of injury. What a plethora of riches and what a deviation from the past.

Stay the course. It’s only going to get better.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Beaulieu’s take down of Rick Nash while in Price’s paint. That was epic for a 1st NHL game.

• HabFab says:

I approve of this post!

What a difference a year makes. So excited for the future of this team, and the present seems pretty good as well. ;-)

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya we’ll see what happens with that defense. Maybe Bouillon is the 7th D and Tinordi or Beaulieu plays? There’s always injuries and trades as well.

• Stevie.Ray says:

I’ve always heard that Beaulieu is a lot like Subban. Smooth skating puck mover that can jump into a rush and be a beast on the powerplay.
      That said, he also has similar faults that P.K had when he was new. He makes mistakes by trying the risky play instead of the safe play. He should be able to grow out of that eventually, but it may take a few seasons.
      I don’t think Beaulieu can play as physical as P.K either, but at 6’3”, he’s a big boy but not as strong as P.K. (few are).

Happy Birthday to Mr. Hockey, who turns 85 today. Unfortunately Mr. Howe’s battle with dementia is not going so well. A great man with class, the Detroit version of Mr. Beliveau.

• 24 Cups says:

I was always Gordie Howe when we played road hockey. Howe, Richard, Hull, Bucyk, Bathgate and Duff were all the great #9′s from my youth

• sprague cleghorn says:

I have a picture of my son with Mr. Howe that I will always treasure (even more than the one of Gordie giving me the elbow in the face). I introduced my then-12-year-old son to Mr. Howe, who sized him up — my boy was wearing his team jersey, because his peewee squad was at a tournament — and asked “You play hockey, son?” My kid managed to stammer “Yes” and Gordie looks him in the eye and says, “Then you got my respect”.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Hockey.

57. Born in a Bad Year says:

If you want to get really pissed about the “Toronto Sports Network” go to their game tracker for last night’s game. Photo not available?

58. HabFab says:

Hab RFA’s this July;

Tokarski – G
    Mayer – G (has already signed to play in Swiss)

Weber – D
    Stejskal – D

White – F
    Blunden – F
    Schultz – F
    Dumont – F

Geoffrion – F (if he doesn’t retire)

59. otter649 says:

The Series CH24 is on TSN at 3:30pm today…..

60. Sportfan says:

Happy Easter everyone! Hope you have a great day! It’s even more great with the Habs win last night!

61. HabFab says:

Hab Prospects under contract for next season;

Beaulieu – D
    Tinordi – D
    Ellis – D
    Pateryn – D
    Dietz – D

Delmas – G

Leblanc – F
    Lefebvre – F
    Bournival – F
    Holland – F
    Quailer – F
    Nattinen – F

Avtsin – F (suspended for refusing to report to Wheeling)

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Don’t think there will be room for Ellis or Pateryn…maybe MB deals one of them…

• Dust says:

i would say there is room for all the Dman.

• HardHabits says:

I agree. Develop them slowly so they become NHL ready at the opportune moment. The Habs never had the luxury of bringing players up slowly because they lacked so much depth. Latendresse, Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Leblanc all are examples of players who in varying degrees had experiences with entering the NHL too soon under the wrong circumstances.

62. Stevie.Ray says:

Kaberle clears waivers… As expected

• 24 Cups says:

So Montreal can’t trade or waive him so I guess he now sits out the rest of the season in Montreal or Hamilton. You have to figure this whole process has included communication with Kaberle and his agent.

So Montreal now has four days to decide if they want to go with Weber as the 6th defenseman or make a mid level rental trade.

• HardHabits says:

I don’t think Weber is the 6th defenceman even with Diaz out. At best he was 8th behind Kaberle (who’s passed waivers) with Diaz in and that was before the looks at Pateryn, Tinordi and Beaulieu. I’d put Weber at 10th on the depth chart. He’s not in the Habs plans and will soon be bumped out of the line-up due to the immense wealth up and down the system the Habs have on defence. I doubt the Habs resign him over the summer.

63. otter649 says:

Over the last little while a bunch of interesting trade proposals have been made that would not happen in fantasy hockey leagues yet some think they would/should happen in a real league like The NHL but makes for interesting reading……

64. Prust for PM says:

The Canadiens needs at the trade deadline:

1. A hard-nosed winger with size who can score a goal every 3 or 4 games.
    2. A competent defenseman who can quickly move the puck out of the Habs’ zone and bolster the power play.

Cost to acquire these assets: Zero.

Bourque & Diaz. If these 2 guys play this season-and at the level they did earlier-there is no need to make a single move at the trade deadline. Here’s hoping they recover fully & soon…

Cannonading drive!!

65. Hobie Hansen says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 39s

T.Kaberle cleared Waivers.

I think this is the final proof that Kaberle CANNOT be traded. Our 2nd amnesty buyout is confirmed.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I’m not gloating, well maybe I am, only because people were being ridiculous in thinking there was any chance of Kaberle being traded.

Going back to the summer, I was saying no team would ever pick up that contact. The man is such a slouch and shows no emotion on the ice. A good pass doesn’t erase being garbage in all other areas.

I was just amazed that when someone would suggest Kaberle could never be traded that 10 people would line up and insist that a lot of teams could use him and he’d be an asset to their PP.

Am I reading Stu’s tweets right, 17,000 people have shown up at Bell Center to watch an open practise today?

I don’t think this happens in any other city in the world, unbelievable.

67. habstrinifan says:

Saw the reference to the Darren Pang slip re-posted on previous thread. May not be the RIGHT thing to say but I think Darren wanted to say ‘right’ while meaning ‘white’ all along. Way I saw it then and now!!!

68. durocher says:

My hope for trades in the next few days:

1. Travis Moen and Patrick Holland for Ryane Clowe
    2. A 2nd round pick for Ryan Whitney (I think this is a very high price for Whitney, but the market right now seems to be this way).

MaxPower-DD-Gally11
    Ryder-Pleks-Gio
    Clowe-Eller-Prust
    Gally27-Halpern-Army

Gorgy-PK
    Markov-Emelin
    Whitney-Cube

For next season:
    - Re-sign Ryder and Clowe; let Whitney, Halpern, and Army go
    - Use Tinordi on the bottom pairing with Cube
    - Trade Gio and Eller for an upgrade on RW (Pominville?)
    - Sign Yale player Antoine Laganiere (6’4″ homeboy)

Max-DD-Gally11
    Ryder-Pleks-Pominville
    Clowe-Gally27-Prust
    Laganiere-Dumont-White
    Blunden (extra forward)

Gorgy-PK
    Markov-Emelin
    Cube-Tinordi
    St-Denis (extra defenseman)

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Like the Clowe trade…have to remove someone from the line-up and don’t give up draft picks. Don’t like Ryan Whitney. If Edm, who is desperate to make the playofffs, gives up on Whitney, there is something wrong with him. MB does not want to disrupt team chemistry.

BTW if you think MB is going to trade Eller who only makes 1.35 million next year, you’re mistaken.

• Habfan17 says:

Trade Eller and Gio for Pomminville? That would be way too much for Pomminville and the Habs have plenty of depth on the right side. It is the left side that is lacking in depth. Bourque scores more goals from the right side, Kristo could be ready next season for the 3rd lline and then there are Ryder and Gallagher.
      Eller is younger and has dne more at the NHL level than Pleks did at his age and he is getting better. You don’t trade centres like Eller unless it is for players like Stewart or Ryan. I’d rather they move Pleks since he has peaked and would fetch a good return. Since they have resigned DD, that would make more sense.

Habfan17

• bel33 says:

You lost me at trade Eller….

• ffenliv says:

As an armchair GM, I’ve gotta say, SJ is probably not going to part with Ryan Clowe for Patrick Holland. I know you included Moen, but I’m pretty sure that’s just because you want rid of him. I don’t think SJ is going to want him, which leaves the deal basically as Holland for Clowe straight up.

I think whoever gets him, will have to give up a 2nd plus a prospect.

Are the Sharks hamstrung with a NTC like Calgary was with Iginla?

• HardHabits says:

Put down your HIO13. You’re going to scramble your brains worse than they already are if you continue playing that thing.

• DAVE. N says:

trading Gio and Eller for Pominville? Sorry..Not on MY Habs!

• Fransaskois says:

There are some wonderful RFAs to look at as well. Of course, with the classy new direction the team seems to be going in, I doubt offer sheets would be well embraced. Up to 3.3 mil and it’s only a 2nd (Mtl’s 2nd) round pick for compensation. Magnus Paajarvi and Alexander Burmistrov are sound defensive players that have yet to find their scoring touch. Seems to me like a good match for the Habs. I definitely agree with the Laganiere signing.

• terrygain says:

Trade Eller? No way.

69. habsfan0 says:

It is almost a certainty now that the Laffs will make the playoffs.
    I wonder how many kissing scenes we will have to endure between Don Cherry and various Leaf players?

70. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I do not like trying to pick your 1st round opponent but it looks like if the Habs finish 1st in their division, they will avoid playing Bos, Ott and TO. Couldn’t hurt…

BTW happy Easter/passover to those HIO members celebrating this weekend.

71. Bripro says:

Am I making a big thing out of nothing?
    Our team played a solid game last night, with Price getting the SO, and PK picking up 3 assists, yet I visit the NHL site and not only is there no mention of their efforts and they’re not in the 3-star standings, but all the site profiles are the US based teams and the Laffs.
    Am I looking for a conspiracy theory that doesn’t exist?

72. HabFab says:

PROSPECT PLAYOFF UPDATE

NCAA – all eliminated
    WHL – Bozon’s team up 3-2 (out injured)
    – Dietz and Throwers team eliminated but they have host team bye to Memorial Cup
    QMJHL – Hudon’s team down 2-3
    Sweden – Nygren’s team down 0-1 in semi finals
    – Nystrom’s team starts Qualifying Round
    – Collberg’s Elite team eliminated in first round but he has been sent back to the Junior team to play, down 0-1

All others eliminated.