About last night …

Four elimination games.

Four wins.

The Ol’ Blogger does not know what to make of this.

And it’s not like your Montreal Canadiens are playing the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Down 3-1 to the number one seed in the East, they rallied to force a Game 7 and win it in Washington.

Down 3-2 to the Stanley Cup champions, who were determined not to repeat the run-and-gun mistakes of the Capitals, the Canadiens force ANOTHER Game 7 with a come-from-behind W that had fans roaring the roof off the Bell Centre.

Something is happening here, and I don’t know what it is.

The Commenter known as dicktracy (which betrays his age) captured the spirit:

Maybe I’m getting old but as far back as I remember cheering the Habs…1966…all those great teams, players, cups,…I never ever remember being so emotional!

CBC had a great game intro:

JOo60x1GjjM

In the jam-packed and joyous Canadiens’ room, Mike Cammalleri talked about “playing hockey when you’re a little kid and dreaming about this.”

A dream-like quality has permeated the Canadiens’ postseason – and it’s bringing out the little kid in all of us.

And no one wants to wake up and realize this is an eighth-seed team that barely made the playoffs and had NO F. Chance against Alex Ovechkin and Friends or Sidney Crosby and Friends.

But a couple of funny things happened on the way to an ignominous exit.

The Canadiens got brilliant goaltending from Jaro Halak.

Mike Cammalleri started scoring – 11 of the 34 goals the Canadiens have in the postseason. His game-tying backhander electrified fans who cheered all the way through a commercial timeout, rocking the Bell Centre to such a degree that PA announcer Michel Lacroix had to wait till the end of the break to announce AK46 and Roman Hamrlik had assisted.

Scott Gomez, a graduate of Lou U in New Jersey, began to flash the skill set that made that damn fool Glen Sather sign him to an insane contract.

Max Lapierre, coming off a poor season, is recapturing the form that made him the Canadiens’ most improved player in the ill-starred 2008-’09 season. His goal was the winner, and it came as a result of a brilliant sequence in which Lapierre – trying to eat minutes – made a series of superb, heady plays.

Even Andrei Kostitsyn got into the act in Game 6. Jacques Martin went out of his way to praise the much-maligned AK46 for passes that figured in both both of Cammalleri’s goals.  And how about that crunching hit on Jordan Staal?

And the D – suffering a casualty rate to rival Ypres – has found new heroes every night.

Jacques Martin used two pairs to protect his lead in the third period:

• a former undrafted free agent and an untested rookie: Josh Gorges, who played 25:51, and P.K. Subban, who led BOTH TEAMS with 29:11 of ice time.

• the reunited Czech connection: Roman Hamrlik, who looked like a spent force in the latter games of the regular season, and Jaro Spacek, seeing his first action since Game 3 of the Washington series.

In a humane 18:25, Spacek scored a goal, blocked three shots and made some brilliant, extra-effort defensive plays to deny marauding Penguins clear paths to the Canadiens’ goal.

Key stat:

The champs had 37 shots. Jaro Halak is 16-1-1 in games when he faces more than 35.

The Canadiens, Cammalleri said, are “by no means a great team.

“We’re trying to be as good as we can.”

That’s good enough to force a seventh game against a no-longer-swaggering team that really doesn’t want to play one.

Because in Game 7, you never know …

“We’ll be ready,” Martin promised.

1. 11habs11 says:

I predict a goal from Gionta next game. He loves these situations

2. 100HABS says:

MAB was not part of the initial rebuild. He was a desperate attempt to plug up the D due to injuries. He did better than expected.

Heart could also be attributed to almost everyone else on the team, it’s just these were the blocks that Gainey picked up this summer to build this team.

3. Chuck says:

True!

A lot of folks have crapped on him, but he’s been a very necessary part of the team.

4. 100HABS says:

That is a good article. Thanks for the link.

Cammaleri: “Now, we belong and we’re having fun. Now, we have an opportunity to go knock these guys off in Game 7, so let’s go enjoy it.”

5. andrewberkshire says:

I feel the same way. It’s nothing against Gio at all, but Gorges has been spectacular in play and leadership. I want him to get the C I think.

6. Chuck says:

My guess?

Gill, Markov, Spacek, Hamrlik, Gorges, Subban. If you dress 7D, then Bergeron. Otherwise, Bergeron sees spot duty on the 4th line for powerplay minutes ans a few other shifts as required.

Not an easy decision, but it would be a nice problem to have.

7. andrewberkshire says:

I love this team.

8. diehardhab says:

Guys one thing Cherry has right is Gorges is playing like a captain. Did you see the stairdown he gave crosby after the scrum at the end of the game?! Man thats captain material! I was leading the bandwagon of Gionta for captain but Im on the fence now.

The torch be yours to hold it high!

9. Y says:

Why is MAB forgotten in all of this?

He too made the finals with Spacek et al.

:P

10. Chuck says:

Pardon my mancrush, but the guy is a stud.

11. Mr. Biter says:

After 95 games JM may have to make his biggest coaching decesions if the year. Under manned all year, if both Gill and Markov are healthy for game 7 who plays? if we win game 7 we will win the cup.

12. Chuck says:

Heart, yes… and above all, they’re WINNERS. They’ve won Stanly Cups (or on the case of Spacek, been to the finals) so they know what it takes to sucessfully get through the grind of the playoffs. No “deer caught in the headlights” looks from these guys.

13. Chuck says:

Actually, Jaro played in 45 games, and started 43. Carey’s corresponding numbers were 41 and 39.

14. Chuck says:

Oops… another double.

15. richie336 says:

I said the exact same thing to some friends while watching the game, and they all agreed as well. Halak is a good story, and he has played well, but Cammalleri is right near the top of the scoring race. He has been consistent with his work ethic and point totals thoughout the playoffs. If we were to go all the way, he’ll more than likely end up with 20+ goals and 30+ points.

16. PrimeTime says:

Yes you did!

17. Chuck says:

I believe that I’m being quite fair with my comments regarding Jaro. He’s deserving of the praise that he’s received, but he’s far from the sole reason that the Habs will be playing hockey on May 12.

Halak has made his reputation on the back of a three game stretch against Washington, in which he was 3-0 with an incredible .978 SV%.

In the rest of his playoff games? A .909 SV% and a record of 4-5… with his SV% declining over each of his last five games.

If the real Jaro is the guy who played over the last three games against the Caps, I’d be more than happy to have him be our #1 for as long as he could keep it up. If it’s he 4-5, .909 SV% Jaro? Not so much.

Oh… and Bowman’s opinion was voiced about Price, not Halak.

18. 100HABS says:

You know what I think? I think that when Gainey blew up this team and rebuilt the core last summer, size was a critical component in his choice of players. Not height or weight, he only judged the size of the heart.

This goes for Gill, too. He may have the height and weight, but Bob chose him for the size of his heart because it’s as big as Moen’s, Spacek’s, Gionta’s, Gomez’s, and Cammy’s.

19. Xtrahabsfan says:

With out a doubt it’s because of Halak….this is all Halak and the rest of the Team FOLLOWED…..IT’S CAPTAIN  HALAK !

20. Chuck says:

There’s no arguing that we win 3 straight against the Caps without Jaro standing on his head. That said, we wouldn’t have needed to win 3 in a row if Jaro had been better than average in the previous games in the series.

In those last three games against Washington, Jaro had a combined SV% of a stunning .978 (134 shots, 131 saves).

But take those three games out of the equation, and he has a less-than stellar .909 SV% (252 saves on 277 shots) and a record of 4 wins and 5 losses. What also needs mentioning is that his save percentage has also declined over his past 5 games.

21. Xtrahabsfan says:

UH-HUM,I predicted the rise of Halak long ago  and the blind could see it too!

22. RetroMikey says:

You still have not answered my questions.

Based on your comments tonight about Jaro, and in previous comments about him, you still cannot accept the fact he is our Number 1 goalie now and for years to come.

Come on Chuck, give credit to the guy, he deserves to be in the spotlight more than any Habs player with Cammy a close second and Hal Gill in third.

So much for Scotty Bowman’s analysis in Halak, eh?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

23. habz says:

pens have Crosby WE HAVE CAMMI!!

24. badangel says:

I’m still so excited and riled up from the win tonight I can’t sleep!!!

Anyone going to the Bell Centre on Wed to watch the game on the scoreboard?!?! I’m going with a friend.. I doubt it will be as exciting as tonight but considering the pib of 75 ppl went ape shit…. I’m thinking a Bell Centre crowd will be so cool! Win together or we lose together

It’s truly inspirational watching the Habs play.. against all odds (and refs way too often) they’ve fought til the very end of every game. I hope they really know how appreciative the fans are in Montreal of their efforts.

Habs for life <3

25. Shiloh says:

Why is this happening? Well, there’s many reasons but chief among them is that we have a goaltender who has the confidence of the team. Some nights he’s been average, but most nights he’s been great – a couple of games he’s been unconscious. Let’s not forget that, even this year, Price played more games. There’s no way we squeak intyo the playoffs if Jaro had been the Number One goalie the entire year.

Also – the injuries to key players. Markov (x2), Cammy, AK46, Spacek – we’ve had so many guys out that we likely would have been a number 3 or 4 seed without the key injuries.

I had a nice little drink after the game and the players who came to mind were Metro and Darche. Remember the games they won for us when we were so shorthanded? This team has a lot of character – my friends who have never been Habs fans are saying the same thing – “Wish my team would play like that.”

26. PrimeTime says:

Did you get a tissue from Sid or ask for his?

Are we seeing new team of destiny?

Another great article by Scott Burnside.

28. 100HABS says:

I said essentially that to my buddy tonight.

29. badangel says:

ah there are no words for my love for Cammy.

He fits in so perfectly in Montreal… like the fans Cammy does not accept losing. This guy has winner written all over him.

30. PrimeTime says:

Well again you blow any integrity. First of all I did post your first quote but never the second “I am the real Habs fan and you aren’t” although i have implied that in your direction and the truth is in the pudding. No one could have predicted this playoff run, or Halak’s rise, but perhaps some should have never assumed to know the thought process behind BG’s “chemistry experiment”. I guess he is the only prophet but I don’t think we’ll ever hear him say so. A little too much class than others who say “I can’t always be right” when at the losing end of a debate. Btw, stars don’t bring home cups, Teams do….ask any of them. And yes, many here have said that all year. Fold that for 2 years!

31. likehoy says:

definitely arguable.

if halak didn’t stop the pucks, would cammy’s goals have been enough?

that’s the question we should be asking.

- What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

32. Saku is my man crush says:

The CBC intro for Game 6.

So So Good!

33. Vid says:

pretty sure cammy wouldn’t have signed with TO.  He wanted to keep that as a city where he could spend his summers which is one of the reasons he ended up in Montreal.

34. likehoy says:

drafting top-end picks is not a sure-fire way of winning championships but it’s a good way to start. you can get that top-end centrepiece that you can build the team around, but in the end, you have to find those spare parts and the right coach and the right team chemistry to get it all together.

Do you ever stop being a jerk? I mean you are 10x a bigger douche than Pierre McGuire ever could be, which is hilarious considering you’re old avatar.

36. ManApart says:

Cammy has been great, and so has Gill, Gorges, Subban, Gionta and Lapierre. There is no question, that if the Conn Smyth was awarded today, Halak wins hands down. One false move in all of these games and the Habs are gone. He has been everything you want in a goalie and more. I know you wanted Price to be the main guy all year, and thank God the Habs didn’t agree with you. You have been dead wrong all year and still are now. Everyone knows that, maybe one day, you will too.

37. Bouleau noir says:

Loved his huge mid-ice hit on Stall as well….. what a game tonigh… is it ever gona end !

38. likehoy says:

let’s not forget that crunching hit he layed on jordan staal.

his facial expression didn’t even change going into the hit and coming out of it. “Just another day at the office”

ahh..AK teasing us with his skills yet again.

First of all. I was wrong. Not about building via the draft and finishing low to draft high (tanking as I affectionately call it), but that a team can’t be built via free-agency in a salary cap era. Nobody, not even smug PT with his “there’s no more room on the band-wagon” and “I am the real Habs fan and you aren’t” mentality could’ve guessed this could happen. Not after we saw the team teeter between mini-win streak to maxi-losing streak all year only to hover at .500 for most of the season. Not with a defensive corps that had more holes in it than swiss cheese. Not with a team that was 19th over-all. Not with a team that was 23rd in scoring and what, 30th over-all 5-5.

’86 was the biggest Cinderella win ever in the history of the franchise and they haven’t even made it to the Conference Finals and this is even looking like more remarkable by comparison.

I’d still like to see the Habs get some a nice draft pick or two and all those years of seeing the Toews’, Stamkos’, Tavares’, Crosbys, Malkins, Ovechkins, Doans, et al go to other teams still pisses me off to no end.

So, you know what, given this remarkable run I am glad that the team didn’t take my advice and tank. I am glad though that they took my advice on bringing up PK for the playoffs (and maybe for only a few NHL games during the regular season as they did).

I can’t always be right.

40. VancouverHab says:

How will I take Gionta in a heartbeat over Kovalev? Let me count the ways! And Cammi as Tanguay’s replacement?! That’s like Byfuglien as Pouliot’s replacement…..

41. Chuck says:

Huh? What does recognition for the effort that Cammalleri has put forth have to do with either Carey or Jaro?

42. SeriousFan09 says:

Cammalleri was signed before Gionta and basically as Tanguay’s replacement, Gainey was waiting on Kovalev who wouldn’t make up his mind so he went to Gionta instead.

Calgary sure looks stupid for letting Mike get away in FA so they could sign Bouwmeester who had less impact this year than the guy the Flames traded (Leopold) for him for his negotiating rights.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

43. Harani says:

From HNIC twitter: “Further punishment for Leafs fans..don’t forget Mike Cammalleri was the 2nd round pick the Kings got in the Aki Berg deal.”

Or how about, they could have signed Cammi as a free agent AND kept their picks instead of Kessel. Burke is smart like that! Good on Bob! 5 million for Kovy or 6 million for Cammi? Not the much of a tough choice eh?

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

44. Tis Himself says:

I have a nice buzz on following this evening’s game. And, I am going to go to bed knowing that I have been granted a chance by the hockey gods to watch my team play in a deciding game on Wednesday night. If this is what Bob Gainey planned for me, he is aces in my book!

45. RetroMikey says:

Do
    I detect a little jealousy that Halak is starting and getting the
    credit for this team which he rightfully deserves and not your main guy
    Price who is riding the bench?  What do you have against Halak?

Sorry but I disagree with your MVP selection, it starts in the nets with Jarosalv Halak, he is the MVP as I see it, hands down.  I did not think we had a chance at all but with the solid goaltending in Halak, I am starting to believe this team can beat the Penguins in Game 7.

We would not be here still talking about hockey if we did not have Halak in the nets.

Brodeur brought New Jersey a Cup in 1995 with their boring no offense .neutral trap zone hockey and Marty saved the team many times in their quest for the Cup with hardly any offense the Devils had that year.

If you have solid goaltending as we have, the goals will slowly come and that is what is happening to our club.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

46. PrimeTime says:

Maybe pull your head out of Jaro’s butt and try again.

47. Chuck says:

Star selections are made by journalists and sportswriters who play their favourites, and at time don’t accurately reflect the true stars of the game. Getting a star is nice, but I’d guess that an agent wouldn’t be using them as leverage in contract negotiations.

Hell, if I were voting tonight I would have given a star to Halak’s posts. They were hit FOUR times befor Cammy scored his second goal.

Jaro has been deserving of the credit that he’s received, but I think it’s time that some folks realise that this is a team game, and that there are far more players on this team deserving praise than just Jaro.

48. SherbrookeW says:

Habs Since ’68

And Lapierre is the reincarnation of Claude Lemieux ’86

49. SherbrookeW says:

Habs Since ’68

Let’s not overlook the excellence of AK, who got two assists, was plus-two, played hard and even got a shout-out from the phlegmatic JM.   Good going…and the best win since ’93 and the loudest crowd ever.

50. PrimeTime says:

Nothing has been won yet but it sure feels good to be there. Sure glad the team didn’t Tank (or fold for 2 years HH) to the satisfaction of some. Glad the team is in more capable hands than us or the media.

51. TripleX says:

Cammi is very ZEN.

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

52. TripleX says:

You do realize that statement makes no logical sense.

53. TripleX says:

Star selections mean crap?  Really?  Are you saying Halak was undeserving of first star in those six games and Cammy was undeserving tonight?  Please explain?

Halak IS THE BETTER PLAYER in this series and was BETTER than Ovi in the last series.  Do you disagree?

This team would be golfing with SOLID goal tending dude.  This team is where it is because of SPECTACULAR goal tending.  WTF?

ps if your goalie pitches a shut out YOU CAN’T LOSE!!!!

54. SeriousFan09 says:

That was another great moment of the game, this series is just one giant emotional roller coaster that we’re all very fortunate to be a part of.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

55. Harani says:

Thought you guys should see this. Cammi’s pre-game visualization ritual which was shown by Cherry in Coach’s corner. Pretty sick stuff!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

56. PrimeTime says:

So true. As posted on the game blog, Roy may have been the center piece of ’93 but he didn’t score a single goal.

57. Chuck says:

Star selections mean crap. Halak has more 1st star selections that Sidney Crosby, but that doesn’t mean that he’s a better player.

During these playoffs Halak has been incredible, crap, and everything in between… though mostly good to great. But the fact of the matter is that your goalie can pitch shutouts until the cows come home, but if you don’t score, you lose. In the playoffs you need solid goaltending AND scoring.

58. 11habs11 says:

If Philly forces a game 7, we’ll have a longer break than our opponent heading into the conference finals! Looks like Bettman’s plan could backfire

59. Go Habs Go Theme Song Guy says:

Insane! What a ride. I’m gobsmacked. Flabbergasted.

Discombobulated. Utterly blown away with awe and admiration.

That’s my team out there.

60. J. Ambrose says:

Suffice to say both of them have made huge contributions. It begins with Jaro giving them the confidence that they can hang in there with the big dogs, then veterans like Gill, Gorges, and Gionta up-ing their games. Now the whole team (except Pouliot) is into it and contributing above and beyond all expectations. But Cammy is truly on fire!

61. SeriousFan09 says:

From Friedman at HNIC Twitter: After Cammalleri interview, Mr. Beliveau walked
    by. He said, “This is too much for my heart.”

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. TripleX says:

Mr. Boone has his definite favs and I just like to even the playing field.  LOL

63. TripleX says:

Halak has a .933 save percentage in the playoffs which is BETTER than any Roy put up.  Enough said.

In the SEVEN wins that the Habs have in the post season, Halak was the first star in SIX and Cammy the one tonight.  Enough said.

64. PrimeTime says:

What does it matter? You have a mirror…..admire yourself…..why do you need others to?

65. J. Ambrose says:

Too funny: just last night, before bed, I was listening for the first time in about 30 years to Rare Earth’s live album — which by the way is one of the all-time great live records. Hmm, foreshadowing peut-etre?

66. Harani says:

Elliot Friedman tweets: After Cammalleri interview, Mr. Beliveau walked by. He said, “This is too much for my heart.”

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

67. PrimeTime says:

A true winner (as Habs are showing) only care about winning, not the accolades. Leave that to the Agent (Lawyer).

68. TripleX says:

Hey Mr. Boone, Pleks who played over 20 minutes was a PLUS TWO and 16-5 on faceoffs was not bad either.  Just saying.  Where is the love for Pleks or is it all spent on Gomez?

69. J. Ambrose says:

I loved that moment just before the start of the third when Le Grand Jean walked by Metro standing in the corridor and gave him a fist pump. How must that make a player feel to have a living legend encouraging you?!

70. PrimeTime says:

How the world turns. Isn’t respect great?

71. Chuck says:

Halak has, at times, been otherworldly with his goaltenting, but I consider Cammalleri to (so far) be the true MVP of this playoffs. He’s scored a THIRD of the Hab’s goals. Without him, we would have been toast long ago.

72. KamiDave says:

Wow! This was an exciting one to watch. Going into the third it still was worrisome, good on Lapierre to give us a win… I expected to see him first star until I saw Cammalleri come out for the first star and then I remembered that he got us two goals. This has been a crazy ride and need to stop getting so hammered for games! Go Habs go, I get to drive home from Alberta to BC thinking about a game now instead of mourning a loss. Whatever happens I’m happy… who am I kidding. Lets win this!\

And yeah, Kostistyn had started hitting, but man did he show up when he was needed tonight. Awesome, can’t wait obviously for game 7, and lucky me I have it off. Hope Gill is back.

Careful, Andrew.  The last captain we had who fit the Gorges mode was Mike Keane.  We all know what happened to him:-)

74. 100HABS says:

Let the punishment fit the crime. He was left in Mtl for a Pitts trip for asking to join his country. That’s punishment enough – I’m sure it messed with his head and he got the message.

Now, we could use him. Could you honestly say that SK could help us more than Darche? Even Moen or Pyatt? Or lately Pouliot?

75. Rugger says:

After asking permission to leave the team for the Worlds?  No way do you put him in game 7.

76. habsoul says:

Yesterday I mentioned that I didn’t want this story to end with Game 6. Well, not only does the narrative continue, it becomes more miraculous.

A kid called up from the AHL logs the most ice time of any player on either team. He finishes the night at +2 and puts a lick in on the world’s best player.

An injured defender comes back to play an inspired game and scores the goal that puts the Habs up for good.

The free agent replacement for Alex Tanguay scores twice to push his playoff total to 11 goals—more than any other player in the postseason—and works his ass off on every shift.

A Slovakian goalkeeper is the dominant player in the 2010 playoffs. When you and I know that Halak will stop anything sent his way, how do you think the Penguins feel?

Will they reach the pinnacle again at the Igloo on Wednesday? I’ve finally learned it’s best not to try and predict anything in this most impossible of playoff runs. I’m just going to watch and cheer on this gallant team.

As if we needed more drama, there’s an interesting backstory to Game 7. Montreal opened the Igloo back in 1967, the Penguins’ inaugural season, and now they have a change to help Pittsburgh say goodbye to the old rink.

Expect miracles.

GO HABS!!

77. Mike Boone says:

Never heard of him. There was only one Rocket.

78. jbroderi says:

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

79. nightmare_49 says:

…  Dogs finish off Heat 4-0 in Game 6

The Hamilton Spectator

The Bulldogs will have the home-ice advantage regardless of which team they face in what will be a 2-3-2 series.That means the first two games will be at Copps regardless of which team wins tonight.

If Chicago wins, the first two games will be Thursday at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. If it’s Texas, Game 1 goes Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Game 2 Sunday at 2 p.m.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary.php?game_id=1007302          ………  Gams Summary

80. The Cat says:

Subban is something else. I thought he deserved a star last night.

81. The Cat says:

Youre fired!!!

82. G-Man says:

-Well, um, you see, boss… I’ve…um, come down with something….

-What’s that, Fargo?

-You see, I’m suffering anxiety attacks punctuated by these fits of euphoria…

-Bleep, Fargo, not  you, too.

-Yes, boss. Habs Fever. I’ll be back Thursday, I swear. Early, too.

-You bet your ass you’re in early Thursday. Now, get lost!

83. SeriousFan09 says:

LOL, nice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

84. twilighthours says:

Statistically unlikely phrase: “marauding penguins”

I wonder what those clowns on Versus thought about this game?

85. StevieRay says:

Great pre-game intro by the CBC. Elliot F is a dandy also … I’, wondering why ? they need Healy… he doesn’t bring much to the game and Elliot ha scut him off twice in the post game interviews ..

I like the Cherry quote from the previuos game when the interviewed Crosby  ” after ” the game as well as before the game .. Cherry said ” doesn’t anyone else speak English in that team” good one !!

Game 7 …anything can happen now .. Gill will be back .. so Crosby will really be whining… I would who will get the ref assignments … need the 2 best !

86. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Crosby does not whine. He negotiates. He carries himself like the ranking CEO wannabe who talks to employees with an “I’m going to make you feel important by talking to you and explaining your job to you” air. That’s why he looks like he’s suffering. It’s not whining, it’s lowering himself to talk to fools who don’t really appreciate who they’re talking to. I think that’s why so many Canadians find him unpleasant.

Way back when, I was all excited when I heard about this skilled junior player coming up from Nova Scotia, but if you forget that Sid is supremely talented when he plays, he’s more like Peter McKay than like those great maritimers we all grew up next door to.

Cammy? Pleks? Gionta? Subban? Gill? Spacek? Now they act like hockey players out there. Crosby is no Mike McPhee.

87. Rugger says:

Okay, trivia time.  Has any team played 28 play-off games in a single season (i.e. four 7 game series)?  If not, what is the highest number played and did they win the cup?

88. smiler2729 says:

Just off the top of my head, the Laffs played three 7-game series in ’93 but never made it to the final… thank you Wayne Gretzky via Kerry Fraser.

89. smiler2729 says:

Just like that other notorious “whiner” Wayne Gretzky before him, I can’t bring myself to dislike Sidney, he’s an amazing player, a fiery competitor and a true role model. So he gets upset, big whoop, hopefully he spends the whole summer upset.

Someday I hope he becomes a Hab.

90. Curtis O Habs says:

Latendresse sure would look good in a habs uniform now.

91. Offensive DMan says:

Have to ask: Why?

92. jbroderi says:

I just want to say one thing about this “magical run”.  I don’t see any abra cadabras or spells being cast.  All I see is a team working extremely hard for a common goal.  We are here because of hard work, not magic.  We deserve to be here and we will deserve to be in the next round.

It is a very emotionally charged play-off run, that’s for sure, but we are getting some inspired performances borne out of hard work and determination so let’s keep it going!!!

I give the players and coaches full credit.  Destiny and all thoses things don’t just magicall happen.  They are earned, and the boys are earning every penny!!!!

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

93. jbroderi says:

because he is such a clutch performer!!   hahaha, NOT!

I think what our friend meant was that Pouley is realy struggling.  Hopefully they can get him going again, cause he would be a huge help.  Looks like ak may be coming around.

“I’ll take potent potables for 500, Alex” JB

94. Rossy says:

Does anyone feel a bit of sympathy for Mike Komisarik who walked away from all this for . . . money?  Nice guy, I always thought he’d be the next captain.

95. Chris says:

I still, to this day, don’t think that Komisarek walked away because of money alone.

I think the seeds of his departure were planted when Price was booed off the ice at the end of the playoffs (Komisarek looked as disappointed and angry as I had ever seen him when they showed him on the bench).  The departure of Koivu probably didn’t help things much.  And the trade of the Higgins, his best friend on the team, probably put the nail in the coffin.

But it’s all conjecture at this point, so all of us fans will decide on his motivation for ourselves.  The only one that really knows the answer is Mike Komisarek, and he’s far too classy a guy to tell us.

96. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2. we play with energy, we play with Subban (Pk could have been with us since the Olympics, but nevermind that)

I think one of the coolest things to come out of yesterday’s game is the energy of Andre, big ‘tits.

He really showed me something. I thought he was a complete right off. But he’s not!!!!

His brother will leave the organisation and Andrei might stay.

That would be great for Andrei and the organisation.

The best thing for Andrei is to get him to hang around some of the leaders on this team.

He could change his entire appraoch to hockey, and become hos OWN MAN.

let Sergei go his own way, and maybe Andrei’s talent will finally surface.

As Boone mentioned –  great on JM for pointing out the effort Andrei put in last night.

also – great on JM for playing PK for 29+ minutes – showing great courage and leadership.

Maybe JM is able to nurture talented young players??? – assuming the young players can step up and respond to the challenge.

97. Offensive DMan says:

Yeah, AK is like a Mack truck out there when he wants to be, impressive.

And speaking of impressive, 29:11 for PK.  You’ve got to be kidding me…what a find.

Bryan – I’m not sure that I favour the 2-3-2 format.  In some ways, it takes away some of the home ice advantage.  If the visiting team can get a split in the first two games….

99. Mr.Hazard says:

Lapierre: We had (Jaroslav) Spacek back in the lineup and he looked like he was 18 years old again. He did a great job tonight. lol

Also, P.K. played a game high 29:11. That’s impressive.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

100. Mr.Hazard says:

Latendresse was useless in MTL this year. I don’t know why you’d say that.

“We didn’t give up and we are not giving up.” – Jaroslav Halak

101. ed lopaz says:

I feel bad that Koivu is missing this.

To me, Koivu would have been THE PERFECT CAPTAIN OF THIS TEAM.

102. tigress says:

Versus was going crazy with the game – they were really quite impressed with the Habs, started off the evening by saying something along the lines of, if you can say you have held off the Stanley Cup champion star goal-scoring player for at least 5 games from scoring even once, you can say you have achieved something fantastic, and these Habs can say they have done that. It’s a huge story. But they were as excited with the Habs plays as with the Penguins.

103. habsfan0 says:

On my way to work this morning here in Toronto, I spotted 5 cars waving Habs flags…and not a Leaf flag in sight..lol

104. ed lopaz says:

no question. it was NOT the money – IMHO.

reasons why KOMI left

1) had to leave  – needed to start fresh after disaster season  – fight with Lucic

2) Burke GM of US Olympic team, Ron Wilson coach – KOMI assured a spot

3) Burke is GM of Leafs – loves KOMI type players – supports KOMI style of play.

4) Higgins traded

105. Habscore says:

I was at Toronto”s Pearson airport last night on my way to MTL, and you could see everyone in front of TVs watching the game, and see Leafs fans cheering for us…It’s amazing.

I was like : “Excuse me you’re a fan of both (Habs and Leafs)?? That’s impossible!!”

A guy would say” “Nah, nah…But I’m still cheering for the Habs on this one tho”

– YES HABS CAN!! –

106. Max_a_million says:

I agree

PJ was absolutely gushing over these guys, and wouldn’t stop.  He even went back to how amazed he was when Ron asked him about other things going on.  Pj is definitely on board.

107. ShangaDoo says:

Watching that opening again…man. Filled me up with so much emotion, so much pride.

You know, I’m part of a Habs Fan Core that has never seen The Habs make it past round 2. And now we’re just one game away…I cannot even describe what I’m feeling.

This is the best story of the playoffs. This is why I love hockey.

Go Habs Go.

It’s only a small point but for once the schedule just might work out to our advantage.

Our series ends on Wednesday.  If Philly beats Boston that would mean a 7th game for them on Friday.    I would assume that the conference final wouldn’t begin until Sunday.  That timeline means players such as Halak, Gill, Hamrlik and Pleks get a much needed break.  That respite could be very beneficial in the next series.

Dup. sorry

My blog

Emotion plus!!

111. topher5468 says:

Hey Boone, I gotta know, Everytime I read this blog on All Habs by this guy named Rocket, he’s always bashing you. Whats the story?. I guess he doesn’t understand the reverse Jinx theory.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

112. avatar_58 says:

That’s what I say. Nonsense I tells ya

113. coachdoug says:

Awesome game last night…the Habs are making my vacation that much better…

JM really gave them some different looks on the forecheck and on the PP last night…my suspicion is Muller has been delegated the play calling and it was fantastic last night…seems like they have solved Pittsburgh’s Offense and Defense…We owned the neutral zone last night after the first period and that made the difference…

What blew my mind was the PK units…the Habs PK has been unreal all year and that plus Jaro has been one reason they are still in the fight…

Fleury looked really bad last night…Jaro is head and shoulders so much better than any of the post-season goaltenders right now…

AK46 had a much better game but he is still not giving 100% of what he has…he should have 4-5 quality shots on net a night with his wrist shot…happy he got the assists but he can deliver goals…maybe that will start Wednesday…

Gomez is playing well but he needs his linemates to finish the goals…like Plek he is a playmaker…

All i can say is Wow…never thought it would go this long…What a ride!

“Save us Turtleneck Man…We need you now more than ever!”

114. Max_a_million says:

The versus guys are great.  Love the play by play.  Funnily enough he actually knows who the guys on the ice are.  Did you notice Bob Cole was calling Maxime Lapierre Thomas Plekanek all night.

I watched him do the olympics as well, a very fun and balanced announcer.

115. krob1000 says:

Well…..where to start? thanks Cammi for becoming the Ghost Whisperer before the game…it looked like a scene out of Field of Dreams…I could have sworn Cammi was playing with ghosts out on the ice during that little pregame sequence with him on the bench. Once the game started ….. Cammi became a ghost himself….invisible for stretches and then occasionally appearing out of nowhere to give us the chills.

Pk Subban …..UNBELIEVABLE….I was not convinced after the World Juniors that PK was the real deal …… I am now.  WOW…..just WOW.  NExt season when we ahve both PK and Markov we are going to be a force from the back end which is typically where good teams are built from.  His poise, strength, surprisingly competent defensive game, attitude, toughness, attitude, vision, speed …..make him a superstar in waiting. 29 minutes and a plus 2…..this kid is going to be fun and makes the Markov loss a lot more acceptable.

Jaro Halak…..nothing needs to be said here….

Jaro Spacek /Hammer ……two guys who both have played very well during the playoffs whenever called upon.  Jaro was lights out against Washington before he went downa nd Hamrlik seems to always rise to the challenge when we become most desperate….not sure why he can’t play this well all of the time but I’ll take what we can get and right now that is very responsible play and the poise and intelligence he has shown us in long stretches before. Spacek played unreal defensively and his goal wasn’t wuite the OT winner like Gagne or Savard upon their return but it was pretty damn huge!

Gorges ….after seeing that little CBC piece I actually teared up ….. like when I watch Rudy or Rocky ! I got a soft spot for the little guy who no one says can. He gets beat and comes back for more…he is a leader and is no doubt taking everything Muller has to offer in …this guy wants to learn and is a sonsummate professional and a stand up guy that fills a room with character.  I admit I never thought he had this in although I always hoped he did but I thought  …well….I thought wrong and we’ll leave it at that.

Moore/Pyatt/Lapierre/Moen ……all brought their lunchbuckets and I agree with the articles above about the key shift that essentially changed the game in the second period.  Lapierre is frustrating at times because we know what he can do…we have seen it in spurts for years but he seems to really care right now and is embracing the opportunity to be a someone in Montreal….what a difference a little effort makes.

Andrei/Pleks …..lost in everything last night was a solid outing by both of these guys…Pleks has been helping in many other ways and occasionally Andrei has as well but he really elevated his game and appears anyway to be understanding the fun that playofss can bring.  When Andrei hits guys they fall….he needs to do that a little more because that hit on Staal was also a key point in the game I thought..when a guy like Andrei clobbers one of their biggest and strongest guys it sends a mesage.

Gio and Gomez are relentless puck pursuers and truly a dynamic duo….I am going to steer clear of money/trade issues I have here and focus on their play which is phenomenal. They are both extremely fast but even faster intellectually and seem to feed off each other ont he forecheck…and pk.  They are so in tune with one another on the ice right now and difficult to play against that even I get frustrated for the other teams! Now if we get Gomez to stop missing those open nets! lol ….anyone who has kids and wants them to learn how the game is played have them watch Cammalleri and Gio away from the puck …. they are always moves ahead of anyone else and are unreal at setting themselves up to shoot, they can take pass of f their skates, passes that are to far in front, behind them, in their wheelhouse and instantly convert them….they don’t have the raw strength of and Ovechkin or Kovalchuk but they get their shots off as quickly as anyone in the game and in situations where most guys don’t even receive the pass let alone one time it….truly a treat.  Gomez’s skating ability is ridiculous as well and although it appears he should be easier to knock off his skates with his “hopping” like strides he is not…he must have tree trunks for legs because he spends a lot of time on one foot and doesn’t get knocked around near as much as he appears he should.

The Bell Centre was amazing last night and this team seems to have won over even the most severe Hab haters ….virtually every hockey channel that normally knocks the Habs has become enthralled with them….from PJ to Kypreos to Cherry to Cole and even Damien Cox?.  Talent is one thing but the heart the team has displayed has been inspiring….kind of heart to believe given the lack of it at times this season eh? guess  they were saving themselves? Don’t care…they are here and now and we have been taken on a thrilling ride…an unexpected one….but not a forgettable one…I will always remember that series against the Caps and the battle we have had agaisnt the Pens and that is great return on investment after watching 82 mostly painful games this season, heck per season for several years….

If JD is out there and reading this…..the Igloo in Pittsburgh is melting….the meltdown is near complete……

116. Merc_Roswell says:

I’m not so naïve to think that Montreal is a progressive city with forward thinking, educated, sensitive people (yes, I agree with those of you who are tuning up after reading this far into my comment, there ARE good people like that in Montréal but I dare not try to put a number figure on it) but I was at The Game last night and I’m walking through the corridors at the Bell Centre and I see these two morons with their shirts off and their face painted black and P.K. Subban’s number on their back. I was shocked and embarrassed at how ignorant they were. Yes, I know they love Subban and they support him but come on, get out of the dark ages you colonial twerps! It isn’t funny or endearing.

117. wd40 says:

Man, it’s going to feel like an eternity waiting for game 7 to start.  Unbelievable.  Also, I have to say watching Crosby’s behavior on the ice is embarassing.   He’s got incredible skills, but his constant complaining and whining are really starting to erode his image.

118. punkster says:

Beautiful Ian.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

119. punkster says:

Easy there boy, let’s get through Wednesday first. (though I agree :)

FEEL THE PRIDE!

120. Chuck says:

Exactly. I just looked at my calendar, and (so far) there’s no Thursday on it.

121. Curtis O Habs says:

Pouliot looks better going into game 7?

122. Chuck says:

Unfortunately, the AHL is a little tighter with their travel budgets.

123. Chuck says:

Where do you work? I’ll call in a bomb threat.  ;)

124. Curtis O Habs says:

Thanks for spelling it out for them.

125. Shublips says:

That was simply amazing!  The Habs are really playing like a team and winning as a result.  THIS reminds me of 93 more than any other year.

Yes, that Habs have a long way to go, but they are coming together at the right time and that is what winning in the playoffs is all about!

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

126. HugeHabsFan says:

Thanks krob – enjoyed the read.  Don’t give PJ too much credit – I can’t remember the exact word he used but I think it was “dumbfounded” that the Habs are where they are.  Not sure if that’s really a compliment? LOL!

……….. “Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

127. HugeHabsFan says:

So many of them deserved stars last night.  Amazing how they’ve come together!  And Subban – just can’t get enough of him.  What a great kid!

128. StevieRay says:

Mike who…………..???

129. Fargo Habs Fan says:

Holy F(@#ing crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody get me out of work Wednesday night!!!!!!!!!

-Dustin-

“The good thing about drinking during games is if they lose, you’re too drunk to care during and too hungover to care after.” – J.T.

130. G-Man says:

Big congrats!

131. Tseth says:

What a game!!! More important (I know, how can you top that win?) today my nephew Bram Wolf Leon was born. This means the newest member of the Habs tribe has arrived in time to see them play another (and hopefully many more) playoff games.

132. Chuck says:

Very cool! Congrats!

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

Jane – I also feel that Hamrlik needs to be singled out for some praise.  He looked totally gassed near the end of the year after having saved our lives in the first half.  However, he found his second wind (and his steady game) at just the right time in order to help carry the load when all the injuries hit the D.

I totally agree with your last paragragh.  A loss on Wednesday means we have had a good playoff run.  Win the game and destiny awaits us.

134. JF says:

I’m still so excited about the game that I absolutely can’t sleep.  Watched it all over again on Canadiens Express, then went to bed but kept seeing the game highlights in my head, then started worrying about Game 7 and how I would survive another tense, close game.  Finally got up and started reading everything I could find about the game and everyone’s comments.

What a mind-blowingly spectacular game our team played.  Dominated at times, for long stretches we looked MUCH better than the Penguins.  I don’t know when I last saw such a display of tenacity and determination as the last ten minutes of the second period.  Watching it was almost intoxicating; it felt as though the Habs were willing themselves to victory.  And the crowd was totally caught up in it; it reminded me of the comeback against the Rangers two years ago, when the crowd started roaring when we scored our first goal and roared louder with every subsequent one.  In that game as in tonight’s game, it seemed that the crowd was sweeping us to victory.

Spacek – what a warrior.  Blocking shots, diverting a seeing-eye pass, and scoring the kind of goal we’ve been expecting from him all season.  A couple of days ago he was apparently down in the dumps about his virus, fearing it would end his career.  Tonight he’s a hero – and, as he said, he’s rested and has lots of energy.  RDS interviewed him before the third period; the look of grim determination on his face spoke volumes about the character and belief on our team.

Cammalleri scoring the first goal immediately gave me hope that we would win.  We’ve won every game in which he scored the first goal.  11 goals in 13 playoff games to lead the NHL.  Unbelievable.  Just unbelievable.  And the Flames chose not to sign him in order to deal for Jay Boewmeester, who I think scored two goals for them all season.

I love Dominic Moore and, unlike many, was happy when Gauthier traded for him  I love his intelligence, his grit, his tenacity.  He has made our third line really dangerous.  He’s always creating something, and makes those he plays with better.

Lapierre’s goal was an absolute work of art, a thing of beauty.  After a disappointing season, he’s showing himself to be a playoff performer, someone who raises his level of intensity and of play at crucial moments.  This was his third goal, and all have come at critical moments.

This is the first time since 1993 that we have won 7 playoff games.  Scott Burnside is talking about destiny.  I don’t dare even think about that yet; I just know I love this team for making these playoffs the most exciting and rewarding in a very long time.

135. Y says:

For those of you in Montreal, they will be
    broadcasting the 7th game in the Bell Centre. Tickets are $7.50

136. Kristopher7 says:

Yessir! Got a troop of 20 going so far!

137. SeriousFan09 says:

When’s the last time the Canadiens had a guy like Cammalleri in the post-season with such a nose for the net? That guy is just fantastic to watch.

Subban is just…wow, playing the Markovian minutes and not looking a bit out of place while doing it. Gorges is just a competitor, no better word for it. Spacek had a great first game back and what can I say, the energy guys, Moen, Lapierre, Moore, they just want to win this thing and you can see it in their faces.

Good to see AK have a big game, I hope he can transfer it to Game 7, the two assists were great and laying out Staal on his attempted SH rush? Beautiful.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

138. JF says:

Steve, I agree about Hamrlik.  He wasn’t great at the end of the season or in the Washington series, but he has been very good since Markov went down, just as he was playing with Spacek early in the season.  And I could have praised others – Plekanec, Gorges, AK46, §ubban, Gomez – the list would include pretty well the whole team.  But I thought I had gone on spilling out my euphoria long enough, so I stopped.  It’s hours since I wrote that, and I still feel euphoric!

139. The Teacher says:

Subban, can you believe he has only played 2 REGULAR SEASON NHL GAMES?

A nd he is OBVIOUSLY being careful offensively!!!!

140. Max_a_million says:

He played 29.11 … that just blows my mind.  WOW

141. Tis Himself says:

This is a pretty good forecast of what Wednesday night will be like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECZd1f5_vTI&NR=1

142. Propwash says:

I was driving back home to Verdun from St. Lazare after watching the game at my dad’s place. Driving up Decarie, all I heard was horns blaring from cars all around, everyone celebrating the Habs winning. It was definately an epic moment.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

143. Norm0770 says:

Hey Boone,

I think it is worth mentioning that the first NHL game at Melon Arena was Pens/Habs.  If everything goes well on Wednesday, the LAST game at Melon Arena could be Pens/Habs.  It could be destiny…

144. zozotheclown says:

If Gill can make a return we’ll have a damn good looking D-corps, even without Markov. If they can carry the momentum of this into game 7 we have a chance, and thats all this never give up team needs. Its going to be the most nerve wracking game since… well… tonight.

145. The Teacher says:

I don’t think it is an if for Gill. I don’t think he would miss this game for anything, especially a little cut, as he put it lol.

146. RetroMikey says:

Our Habs are suprising us, didnlt think they had the gas tonight to go without Gill in the lineup.

Bulldogs win as well and advance to the Conference final without Subban in a 4-0 win over Abbottsford.

Boone’s happy, Habs fans on this site are happy, Habs fans worldwide are happy and……………………………..

I’m friggin happy for once!

Way to go boyz!!!!!!!  Kick some butt Wednesday night!!!!!!  Make me a believer!!!!!!!!!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

147. habsoul says:

29:11. Is Subban even aware he’s in the Stanley Cup Playoffs? He was also plus 2 and logged time on both the PK and PP.

He made some moves tonight that were just jaw-dropping. I hope we get to see some of his offensive skills before the end of the playoffs.

148. HabsFanInVictoria says:

Bob Gainey is a bad GM?

JM is a bad coach?

149. FSUPhi1584 says:

Although its a moot point, how does Plekanec get 2:00 minutes at the end of the game for roughing after crosby crosschecks him in the back. I didn’t even see him go after Crosby after that one.

150. likehoy says:

because plekanec dared to look at sidney the wrong way.

151. Chuck says:

Besides, unless it’s a 5-minute major or a misconduct that’s assessed, the penalty means nothing. Pointless.

152. Habitant in Surrey says:

Scott Burnside; ESPN: …”…And so, we return to Pittsburgh for one final, improbable contest,
    just as we returned to Washington two weeks ago for one final,
    improbable contest. For much of this Canadiens journey, we have waited
    for reality, the sound of the pin popping the balloon. Maybe it happens
    in Game 7 on Wednesday, or maybe this is what destiny looks like up
    close.

But no one in the Canadiens’ room is pinching himself at
    this stage.

“No, not at all. For us, it is the reality,”
    Cammalleri said. “If you pinch yourself, you are beat. I remember when
    you first come into the league, if you start sitting around and staring
    in awe and catching flies, you’ll be out pretty quick.

“Now,
    we belong and we’re having fun. Now, we have an opportunity to go knock
    these guys off in Game 7, so let’s go enjoy it.” “

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

153. likehoy says:

normally they compare crosby to gretzky in the whining.

mario didn’t get many calls, and that’s why he retired from the NHL early. he was sick of carrying players on his back, and getting slashed and getting no protection from the league.

154. RudeMood19 says:

Well we can hope for the best. Win or lose, this year we can be proud of our Habs for what they’ve managed to do.