About last night …

Any shrinks or dream interpreters out there?

I had a dream last night in which Alex Kovalev is standing on a downtown street and I’m looking up at him. Overhead, the clear blue sky is filled with exotic kites.

I’m mesmerized. But a certain point, Kovalev, quite annoyed, demands to  know: "What are you staring at?"

Then the focus shifts to Guy Carbonneau’s press scrum. In shirtsleeves and sweating profusely, Carbonneau is asked if his greatest coaching achievement has been successfully motivating Kovalev. Carbo starts to answer, but I woke up.

Meaning?

I have no clue … unless the kites represent the lofty aspirations of Canadiens fans eight days ago.

That’s when the team easily beat the New York Islanders to move within three points of Ottawa in the Eastern Conference standings.

But a week ago Canadiens lost to the Rangers.

Tuesday they beat the Senators, who were playing without Daniel Alfredsson and Dany Heatley but still mounted a third-period comeback.

Thursday night at the Bell Centre, Canadiens lost ignominiously to one of  the worst team in the NHL.

And then they went to Ottawa.

I’ll not dwell on last night’s  game. It was on RDS and the CBC, so most everyone saw it.

In the wilds of Kanata where no one could hear the screams, Heatley, Alfredsson and Jason Spezza bent our first-place aspirants over a log.

And if you think that metaphor is ugly or inappropriate, you didn’t see the game.

I don’t know why Carbo broke up his best defence pairing. But Mike Komisarek and Francis Bouillon started the game, and ach of them was minus-two before the game was two minutes old.

The Tomas Plekanec line started against Spezza et al –  and that was a mismatch. Ottawa pressured Plekanec all through the game, forcing him to make hasty decisions and errant passes. You can bet that technique will be employed by other teams.

The power play scored once in seven opportunities. The best player on the ice when Canadiens had the man advtantage was Chris Kelly, who plays for Ottawa.

Adding inury to insult,  Wade Redden, pissed-off by all the trade speculation in Ottawa, took itout on Sergei Kostitsyn.

Glimmers of hope? Not many.

Carey Price was OK. The reunited Saku Koivu line had its moments – but Christopher Higgins is having less luck scoring than I used to on Crescent St. Canadiens hit the goalposts five times. Roman Hamrlik will be back soon.

No need to panic – yet. Teams and their fans survive the long NHL season by not getting too high or too low.

All that talk about first place was too high.

We’ll find out in Florida just how low Canadiens are about to go.

1. The Teacher says:

I knew your response would be something like that. That’s why I sufficed 😉

Anyhow, back to hockey.

P.S. I didn’t know that the amendment included words like tick you off, but ok.

2. Yeats says:

You might not be that familiar with our history, but those last two sentences are essentially the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

3. The Teacher says:

You pose very good questions.

As this site is an extension of the Gazette and does get advertised daily in the paper which serves as a reputable news organization. Considering the wide age range of the readers of this particular age site I would have to say there is an interest in keeping things on a lighter tone. You are right when you say that it is not the appropriate venue to settle the great moral issues of the ages.

It’s not about banning the word retarded, it’s about using it in a derogatory manner which hey, can classify at a hate crime, could it not?

I’m sure Dave and Mike were hoping for a quality site which they have generally succeeded. This site is different in that many people are repeat customers, so to say and have developed rapports with other members. It is not enjoyable to have a shadow poster who serves solely as an agitator, and does not offer any insightful ideas other than to keep suggesting we should have drafted Getzlaf 1000 out of his last 2000 posts.

I’m not saying that criticism is not allowed, but it would be wise on everyone’s part to make an effort to offer insightful responses rather than to just say “Brisebois sucks” ten times a day. People will get fed up of reading 500 useless comments, and this site will degenerate into a blog per TSN’s.

As for your last two sentences, we obviously are going to have philosophical differences, so I’ll leave it at that.

4. Yeats says:

The problem is who’s standards of human decency should posters be held to, your’s, mine, some arbitrary third party’s? I have no interest in imposing my moral code on others and I wouldn’t allow someone else to impose their’s on me. Some posters bust a vein if you critcize the team, a player or the management. Should they be the arbiters of what is offensive? This is hockey discussion blog, nothing more and nothing less. It is not the appropriate venue to settle the great moral issues of the age. I understand your point, but banning words? What’s next sentences, paragraphs, thoughts? Unfortunately, one of the prices of living in a free society is that others have the right to tick you off from time to time. And, yes, it is a right, as precious as freedom of religion.

5. cournoyer12 says:

ESPN OR HISTORY CHAMMEL?

6. ZepFan2 says:

From the article: “If he returns, he’d rather not have a repeat of the emotional aftermath of his second last game in Montreal.

He was so down Canadiens captain Saku Koivu put an arm around him in the dressing room, consoling him.

“I wasn’t pleased at losing a game when we scored four goals, and Sak was telling me there would games like that, and you couldn’t let them get you down.””

More proof Saku IS the Captain of this team.

7. The Teacher says:

You’re missing my point big-time Yeats.

Posters should be held to the standards of human decency.

8. Yeats says:

Posters, by implication, should be held to the standards of responsible journalism? You are really out on a limb on this one. Do you have a degree in Journalism? Did Peter Mansbridge of the CBC administer some sort of oath of journalism to you?

9. sidhu says:

You’re right, they don’t, but the players you mention (except for Holik) all provide something that provides the basis for their captaincy (e.g., strong defense, checking, power). Koivu was supposed to be our first-line scoring center.

10. The Teacher says:

I thought I did make my point that not all captains have to be first line scorers 😉

But I appreciate your candid response and I echo your comments in that we must all say

Go Habs Go

11. sidhu says:

Teach, I always enjoy reading your posts and having our substantive exchanges :) For the most part I think you’re comparing apples and oranges – Foote and Smith are defensive defensemen (like Komi), Moreau and Taylor are checking forwards, Clark is a budding power forward who scored 30 last year, and NJ has a rotating captaincy system. Also note that Clark, Moreau, and Taylor have been injured for the majority or all of the season. That leaves Holik, who supports your argument. The players you mention (save Holik) all have qualities that undergird their captaincy (e.g., defensive grit, power, checking). What of Saku, who was not called upon to provide defense, power, or checking, but was to center our top scoring line.

In any case, I hope he improves and that whatever is ailing him subsides so the player we have all come to love and support reemerges. I don’t doubt that Koivu has been of great value in the past (e.g., we fell apart once Koivu was knocked out of the playoff series against Carolina).

12. The Teacher says:

I can only think you are referring to Jack Todd on this one.

13. Yeats says:

He and that line did try last night, but the hole that was dug was just too damn deep. Once a playoff spot is secure, they could platoon other guys as well getting ready for the run. That way, he wouldn’t be the only veteran or key player taking the heat for getting a rest.

14. ClaytonM says:

Well now you’re just being silly if you think the Gazette has standards of journalism :)

15. Yeats says:

Those are certainly fair points. But Clayton is right, this poor guy is never going to be given his due by certain elements of the Montreal media. The players, not the media, suit up 82 times a season. As Archie Bunker of All in the Family would have said, “Let their minds run rancid.”

16. ClaytonM says:

He’s too much of a competitor to take a week off, Yeats. I’m sure he’d see the merits of sitting out a game or two once we have a spot clinched, but there’s no way he’s sitting until then.

Besides, he happened to be the only player who showed up last night.

17. The Teacher says:

Very good post. However, would you not agree that giving him a two week break would expose not only him but also the team to a firestorm of criticism and rumour mongering that would eliminate the benefit of doing so just because of the distraction a move of that like would bring?

18. Yeats says:

Unless, the remaining games can get the team into a position to have home-ice advantage in the first round, I would turn those last few games into “dog shows” for lack of a better way of putting it.

19. The Teacher says:

I’m sorry, but I wil have to respectfully disagree.

This page is an extension of the Gazette, and by all accounts holds itself up to the same standards any responsible journalism entity would.

Mr. Boone is the first one who used the word, and it WAS used in a derogatory manner, even if it was meant as a humourous post.

There are many people in this world who agree with the fact that we should not say these types of things. The fact that ebk’s son has Down’s syndrome is completely irrelevant.

The use of this word in that form is hurtful to MANY people (not I) and serve no purpose other than to allow it to remain acceptable dialogue (which it is not). The way to change things is to speak out against it. It is definitely not a matter of being politically correct. Maybe for you it is, but most definitely not for me.

20. Yeats says:

While I have been critical of his play and do believe he needed to be sat down after another one of those killer o-zone penalties, I don’t think he should be stripped of the C. That would just be wrong. He was elected captain of the team by his mates at the time over Shayne Corson, I believe. (Wonder what he is up to these days?) Trading him in not a viable option either right now. What would the team get in return that would truely make them better now. As I’ve posted elsewhere, I think the best option may be to give him a rest, a week or two off perhaps. The physical and emotional wear and tear of playing for this team appears to have finally caught up with him. I’d rather see the management of the club do that than continually watch him ground down over the remainder of the season and playoffs.

21. ClaytonM says:

Seeing as our last game of the season looks like it will be a meaningless game – the laffs – if I were the coach I’d sit the entire Pleks line. I wouldn’t put it past those classless laffs to take liberties with our top line out of spite.

22. The Teacher says:

Asked an answered on MORE than one occasion. You have only 1 person who agrees with you. Maybe you should take some insight from that. 😉

23. The Teacher says:

“C’mon, Teacher, do you really think it’s over? He’s been targeted since earning the C.”

By people who know absolutely nothing, maybe. 110% people fall into this category.

IMO this site is for people who are fans of the Habs. It might be a bit immature on my part to think that we should be behind our team 110% (not like those clowns).

Constructive criticism is GREAT, but mindless picking on players and coaches (and on single plays) despite what has been, by all accounts, a successful year so far is disheartening as a true fan of the Habs.

The people who say he hasn’t been at the top of his game this year are right, but to trade him, bench him or strip him of his captaincy (the latter being delusional IMO) with terse one liners that do not back up their opinions just drag this site down.

24. ClaytonM says:

There may have been a consensus but it is far from unanimous, 24. The fact that some HIO members double as the thought police notwithstanding, I would find it funnier if it weren’t so sad and pathetic that some members here have taken it upon themselves to limit what Habs fans can publish. Who are you/they to say what words are off limits? I read the post being referred to above and I didn’t take it as a slight against someone mentally challenged. It was used as a colloquialism. But because one poster has a son with Down’s Syndrome it’s banished.

If that’s the case, does that mean I can’t write that Jason Blake is reportedly a cancer in the dressing room? Just because he happens to have cancer, that doesn’t change the fact that he’s reportedly an S.O.B. that no coach wants. Then some HIO poster reads that and takes offense because a loved one of theirs died from cancer and decides the next step is to censor another person? I’m sorry your loved one died, I really am, but publishing a heartfelt message about your experience and getting the rest of the HIO community to rally against another is not just wrong. It’s manipulative and self-serving, and the person who you lost would probably agree.

25. Yeats says:

That is why it is so important to cop as many points as you can. Ottawa may be a more talented squad, but you can’t lose to the leafs in your building and say, oh well. The guys above may need and deserve a rest before the playoffs start. The more I think about it, the whole Niedermayer/Selanne thing is just brilliant.

26. ClaytonM says:

C’mon, Teacher, do you really think it’s over? He’s been targeted since earning the C. He’ll continue to be treated with contempt until he’s gone. Not even a Stanley Cup will stop some of the people from making these comments.

By the way, is everyone missing the big picture? There is a law in all sports that what happens in the room stays in the room. If in fact these douchebags on 110% have been speaking with someone on the team to get these stories, then a bigger problem has to be: Who is pushing their own personal agenda?

27. ClaytonM says:

Logic would dictate that when they let teams increase their bench they’ll give our key players a night off. Unlike last year we’re not in a playoff race unless the wheels fall off completely. Guys like Koivu, Komisarek, Markov and Hamrlik who get a lot of ice time AND pay a higher price physically should get a rest once we’ve clinched a spot.

28. frank81 says:

^^ Article on Price from the Feb. 9th Hamilton Spectator.

29. Yeats says:

He has always been miscast. And, I think the physical toll of the game and playing for this team in particular is finally catching up with him. You wonder if they shouldn’t give him a week or two off to get himself together. In reality, isn’t that what the Ducks have done with Scott Niedermayer and Selanne? Basically, they allowed two talented, but aging players half a season off to prepare for the run to the post season. Given the grueling nature of the sport, you have to wonder if more older players are going to do that as time goes on.

30. The Teacher says:

Bravo!

I for one am glad to see this frivolous rumour put to rest.

Thanks Mr. Boone.

31. Mike Boone says:

No, I have not heard of or detected any problem with Saku Koivuin the room.
    Who brought that up? The “expert” eating a banana?
    The room has been a very harmonious place this season.

32. G-Man says:

Liberal. lIberal. liBeral. libEral. libeRal. liberAl. liberaL. Baaaaa!

Gilbert

33. fun police says:

if you treat koive like a second line center, behind pleks(which he is), then koivu is one of the most productive second line centers in the league.

34. The Teacher says:

This is for Sidhu (I agree that you are not a frivolous poster) in response to yesterday’s comments.

NHL Captains that are not scoring machines

Bobby Holik
    Ethan Moreau
    Adam Foote
    Jamie Langenbrunner
    Jason Smith
    Tim Taylor (IR)
    Chris Clark

I would think Koivu satisifes more requirements than any of these guys.

Captainship isn’t about scoring points.

I understand your points Sidhu, but yes, I agree, everyone expects way too much from Koivu.

He is not the dynamic offencive threat that he once was (and he was never as good as some people think).

That is fine with me BTW, we all know he can’t bring us a Cup himself. The management has never given him the proper players to play with. Is that Saku’s fault? Nope! He asked for help at the end of last year. He didn’t get any.

I fully expect bob to at least get SOMEONE this summer. He won’t overpay at the deadline for a team that is not even close to being expected to win a Cup (at least before the season started).

If you’ve completely lost faith in Koivu as you have said, I find it a bit sad. I’ll repeat, I have not :)

I didn’t know Captains were supposed to always dominate.

But there is something wrong with him. I don’t know what. He looks a bit run down to me.

35. jew4jah says:

i feel soooooo much better.
    espn classic just showed game 2 of the 93 cup finals.
    what a great game to watch to get my habs spirit back after last night.
    if you don’t remember the game…. it’s the mcsorely’s illegal stick penalty with a minute & a half left in the 3rd with the habs down 2-1, and the habs tying it, and the habs winning 3-1 in OT, and all 3 goals were desjardins, and barry melrose’s mullet, and muller & carbo on the ice….
    i’m getting all weepy. because i know those days are soon upon us again, if they aren’t already here.
    watch out vinnie, brad & martin! we’re coming for you on tuesday!

36. Yeats says:

Sufferin’ succotash, the Habs really sssssssucked last night!

37. fun police says:

Boone, last night on the big debate after the habs game on RDS, one of the panelists made reference to koivu having problems in the dressing room. have you heard anything like this, or is this just another example of the french media hating on koivu?

38. Yeats says:

Gosh, I guess in the new PC environment, I should not have posted it from their site without editing. Please strike out the word Indian and substitute Native American. Sorry if I have offended anyone. My bad.

39. Yeats says:

That’s a good question. Here’s the answer:

1809; named for the Miami Indian Tribe that inhabited the area now known as the Miami Valley region of Ohio.

40. JB says:

haven’t read thru all the posts – but i wouldn’t get to freaked out. Ottawa had something to prove and this was just a strange game – where the bounces (posts) didn’t go our way. I don’t forsee any tailspins like last yr. Getting Hammer and O’byrne back will help.
    Like the lines the way there were – should be kept in tact – but now it looks like Carbo had to change up the d pairings ..lol
    Can someone please explain to me why he can’t keep things consistent?

Mr. W – I’m sure you realize that there are many words in the English language that have more than one meaning. Your narrow definition of the word may be true (in that context) but we both know that in our society it also carries another meaning that is quite derogatory, hurtful, and demeaning. You may have missed some previous posts pertaining to this situation but one of them was a personal, heartfelt response from one of our valued fellow posters. There was an unanimous consensus on this site that we would never use that word again and I believe I speak for all of us when I say we will govern ourselves accordingly from now on in that regard. I trust this explains the situation.

The Original 24 Cups

42. likehoy says:

YES! almost as good as kovy owning tucker.

43. HabsFanInUSA says:

No, not the U- Miami University. It’s in Ohio, so where that name came from, I’ve never figured out.

44. Yeats says:

Miami of Ohio in Oxford.

45. Chuck says:

Hi Ian! I would be glad to help out in any way that I can. I’ll give you a shout this evening.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

46. Chuck says:

You’re correct in that he should not be exempt from criticizm… but his fair share of criticizm, though.

I don’t see anyone asking why Komisarek only played 7 shifts in the second period, and 6 in the third… for a total of 4 minutes of ice time, and only 16 minutes for the entire game. Was he injured? Ill? Benched for poor play earlier in the game? Given that Komi was MIA for most of the night, someone had to eat up those minutes.

The way that some folks bash him, you’d think that he was making Markov/Hamrlik-type money and was expected to be of the same calibre. He’s getting paid $700,000 and that’s the return of value that we should expect from him.

In a weird, twisted way I kind of hope that he finds his way out of the lineup. It would then be interesting to see who the Brisebois bashers spew their venom on after a poor defensive effort when they realize that their favourite whipping boy wasn’t even on the ice.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

47. BigHabsFan says:

what a shock when i turned the game on and it was 3-0 five minutes in. and then another shock when i saw the Habs more or less outplay the sens for the rest of the period!

5 posts hit during the game! youve got to be kidding me.

now im not trying to say that the habs just had some bad luck and they should have won and they lost because of hamrlik’s absence and, etc, etc, etc…

last night ottawa had three cold-blooded scorers; the canadiens had none. pointe finale.

5 goal posts, a guillame latendresse breakaway, and how many power plays in addition to that? 1 goal?

and although alot of guys didnt have great games, brisebois had a particularly bad one. lets get hamr and o’bryrne in there asap…

48. Ian G Cobb says:

Chuck–Are you able to help Mike in Hamilton with the Bull Dog Summit a little if possible.? Please call me (613) 968-9807 please.

49. Ian G Cobb says:

How about a person that is somewhat challenged instead. Your word has a different flavor, that was used on me at one point of my life.!

50. Ed says:

Yes, but he was a gentle giant. We need someone who is the opposite of gentle.

51. Chuck says:

Mr. Wonderful, I think that the problem that folks had with that word was in the derogatory manner in which it was being used.

As this site is an extension of the Gazette, Dave and company have full right to police it in a manner that they see fit.

Perhaps a question that we should all ask ourselves before posting should be, “Would I or anyone else reading this find it offensive if it was published in the Gazatte?”

We should also keep in mind that, just as with a newspaper, young eyes are able to read our posts.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

52. J.T. says:

If that was gentle I hope I’m passed out for the banging they’ll get in the playoffs.

53. Ian G Cobb says:

Mike Boone. ! That is amazing,! I had a dream last night also. I just have to tell you this one.

My hab friend, Postie Jim, and I headed to Ottawa yesterday after lunch. We arrived at a local watering hole called Local Heroes. We walk in and to my surprise, we are met by about 12 of our inside out community friends, there was DD,and his son and girl friend,and friends from Ottawa, Tommy B and Dana,from the Hamilton area, Naila in from Mtl. Jason from P.A.and his lovely girl friend, both in from Pittsburg. Anyway the dream went that we all had just the very best of time talking hockey, life in general, eating and having a few.
    The dream also went down that they over the past 6 mo. had become my family, so of coarse there were hugs all around and the very warmest feelings came over us being to gether. Then we boarded a bus and it took us to a hockey rink way out of town. In the dream I think it was called The Scotia Center or something like that.

We went into this rink that I had never seen before, but I felt somewhat at home. Most of the fans were wearing the Habs colors the same as ours. It took a very long time going up to reach our seats, I was pooped and in my dream I thought I had a nose bleed, being up so high.

Then we stood for the National anthem, just like we do at a real game. I knew Soon after that I was in a dream because just as the puck was dropped, Bullion fired the puck down the ice and forced a faceoff in our end, and scored on us. The dream became a nightmare 30 seconds later when Begin breaks breaks his stick and they come in on us again.

Time after time Mtl. bumbled and fumbled the puck away just like 10 year olds do. It was the absolute worse dis play of how to compeat that I have ever seen. We never had the puck on our sticks for more than 10 seconds at a time for the rest of the game. This nightmare continued even after the game as we drove 5 hrs. home in a raging blizzard.

I was so tired from this horrible dream I slept in until nearly noon to-day

54. habitual says:

Thank you Chuck.

I only saw 1/2 of the first period before mercifully having to go out so I can’t comment on how he played last night. But once again Brisbois is a favourite whipping boy for many posters here. The game was a 6 – 1 whipping. How is this mostly his fault?

He was not brought in to be a top 4 D man. He was brought in to add some offense to the PP, and because of injuries and inconsistent play by some of the forwards has been getting more ice time than possibly planned. Remember, Dandeneault can play D, and Carbonneau chooses to sit him out rather than play him and sit Brisbois. That says something.

This is not to say that Brisbois should be exempt from criticism. It is to say that the repeated focusing on Brisbois is both unfair and tiresome.

55. RH says:

Wait a minute. You mean THE U has a hockey team?

56. Mr Wonderful says:

Has anyone else received an email from this group’s thought police telling them that certain non profane words should not be used? I was asked not to use the word RETARDED anymore. Awe great to see the politically correct crowd is alive and well in Montreal. I would like a list of all non profane words that we can not use so there will be NO chance of hurting anyone’s feelings.

I will start the list off. One word that hurts my feelings is Liberal. Both capital L and small l. I want to cry every time I think about liberals having any control of my life. :-) Please feel free to add to this list. Have a great day.

Definition of Retarded:To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.

v. intr.
    To be delayed.

n.
    A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
    Music A slackening of tempo.

A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.
    Sir Winston Churchill

57. Yeats says:

Hockey is like beer these days. There is just so much good stuff to consume, you don’t have to put up with a sub-standard product.

58. Chuck says:

Interesting… you note that Huet’s ugly start had us down 3-0 before the game was five minutes old, but use most of your post to blame Brisebois for the loss.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

59. jew4jah says:

#1 is a lesson you think they would have learned on thursday against the laffs.
    #2 work ethic doesn’t seem to be a major problem to me, looks more like chemistry.
    #3 & 4 — what’s so special about last night’s loss that you think carbo will stop tinkering or that we won’t see brisebois again? these have been major issues since the season started.

as for that goal… beauty of a pass by price up the ice & then the brothers K netted it. i thought we worked for it & deserved it.

the hardest thing about last night’s game was watching it. (with 3 leaf’s fans on my couch – they’re good people aside from this one transgression)

60. Yeats says:

I had to leave and go watch the Michigan/Miami game last night. I just couldn’t take it anymore.

61. Richard says:

Let’s look at some positives that came out of this game:

1. It will remind the habs that they are not invincible and can’t EVER take a game for granted.

2. It will convince the habs to work harder and practice more.

3. It will put some pressure on Carbo to not tinker with his lines so much. Two good defencemen playing together does not mean that they can make two good defenceman when playing apart.

4. THIS MOST CERTAINLY WAS PATRICE BRISEBOIS’ LAST GAME IN THE NHL!!!

I don’t know if anybody else noticed, but Breeze-by was terrible. He couldn’t catch a pass at the point on the PP, and after making defensive mistakes he tried to recover and took penalties leading to #5 and #6. He was awful, and Streit couldn’t play defenceman for two like Hamrlik can, so the Sens took advantage of every little thing he did wrong, and there were plenty.

I’m not saying that he is responsible for the whole game. Clearly we started poorly and this was an off-night for Huet and an on night for Emery. But Brisebois single-handedly made sure that once we were down 3-0 within five minutes, we would not be able to mount enough sustained pressure to come back.

i.e. he finally proved how bad he is, and will either be fired, sent down, or sat out for the rest of the year.

Welcome back O’Byrne!

Oh, and the worst is that our only goal came on a 5 on 3 that we didn’t deserve: the refs gave it to us like we were poor Toronto who couldn’t stand a chance without a little undeserved help.

…And I drove through the snow to watch it all live.

62. Chuck says:

There was still too much sand in the Vaseline for my liking.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

63. Ed says:

Who needs size. Remember size does not count. Tee! Who would you rather have, RG or JC Petit?

64. tony d says:

i think I ran into Gustavas many a night at Kojax, way back when

65. Yeats says:

Yea, and they were gentle!

66. Chuck says:

On a positive note, it took three guys last night (Heatley, Alfredsson and Spezza) to bend us over a log.

Ovechkin did it all on his own.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

67. Ed says:

Man, you are too deep for me this morning. This sound like something that Boone would say. Tee!

68. likehoy says:

I was talking to a friend about the Future Habs…

I see the Kostitsyns flanking plekanec as our top line…
    and higgins and latendresse will probably flank the second line…but we’re missing a centre that can really fit into a power game that lats and higs could be playing…the names that come to mind are chipchura, ben maxwell, and ryan white. Does anyone know if any of these guys are gritty enough/skilled enough to play a second line gritty scoring role? I have my reservations over chip cause he didn’t show much hands during his short stint…but I hope he comes out to be like Michael Peca. Another suggestion was to revert higgs back to centre have both lats and pacioretty line up on the sides…which was an idea but can higgs win a faceoff?

69. Mike Boone says:

I feel better already!

70. Ed says:

It’s only one game, and I like Mathman’s take on it. He was first of the mark this morning, and pointed out that when we beat Boston 8-2, it was not the end for Boston. Everyone should read it, even the most negative among us. We will bounce back. It’s like Boone’s lack of luck on Crescent St. It’s a bad date that happened (or in Boone’s case, maybe not), and we will have to forget about it and move on.

As for showey47, he brought up about Komisarek having the least amount of ice time for the D men. How that could happen is beyond me. Surely he could not have fallen into the coach’s doghouse last night. He must have been injured or something. The ice time for D men was:
    Markov 25:45
    Streit 21:45
    Gorges 19:19
    Brisebois 17:32
    Bouillon 17:16
    Komisarek 16:34

Carbonneau has to be concerned about his shutdown line, as they were all minus last night, and he did limit their ice time. Their ice time and +/-‘s were:
    Kostopoulos 7:42; and -3. He is -8 on the year.
    Smolinski 6:47; and -2. He is -5 for the year.
    Begin 6:18; and -2. He is -2 for the year.

I thought the kid line played well, and they were not on for any goals against. Sergei set up his brother with a beautiful pass, but he has to be more careful who he fights. In fact, I don’t see why he should even have to fight. I loved the way Bouillon pulled the player off him, even while an Ottawa player was holding on to Bouillon. He is obviously very strong.

I heard one of the announcers on CBC talk about how the Koivu line has all been in Carbo’s dog house, and he called them the dog house line. As for the Plekanec line, they have been our saviours all year, and I am sure they will bounce back. They are too good and creative not to.

71. Mike Boone says:

Kojax is still there, serving closing-time souvlaki to the lovelorn losers of downtown Mtl.

72. MikeMcLaren says:

Kite

1) To dream of flying a kite, denotes a great show of wealth, or business, but with little true soundness to it all.
    2) To see the kite thrown upon the ground, foretells disappointment and failure.
    3) To dream of making a kite, you will speculate largely on small means and seek to win the one you love by misrepresentations.
    4) To see children flying kites, denotes pleasant and light occupation. If the kite ascends beyond the vision high hopes and aspirations will resolve themselves into disappointments and loss.

Source: 10 000 Dream Interpretations, by Gustavus Hindman Miller

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

73. Will Longlade says:

Ottawa outplayed the Habs by a wide margin, but a lot of bounces went their way and the Habs didn’t get any. Otherwise, the game may have been closer than it was. IMO, the game shows more than anything that there is a distinct lack of toughness on this team that has to be addressed. Some posters have said this before, but the Habs need to go out and get a Trent Hunter type player. There’s a reason the Rangers have the Hab’s number this year. They play them physical.

74. Yeats says:

When it comes to playing on Hockey Day in Canada, the Province of Quebec should just secede temporarily from the Confederation to prevent displays like that in the future.

75. tony d says:

Mike, your reference to less luck scoring on Crescent St. made me laugh and brought back memories.
    After many eves of failing on Crescent St. way back in my 20’s, we’d top the night off with a Souvlaki at Kojax on St. Catherines. A bunch of depressed guys, going over the night, thinking about what we shoulda done etc..
    maybe the Habs are doing the same thing now after their loser nights. But I don’t think Kojax is around anymore.
    As a side note, I’m married now and scoring less….. am I a Habs fan or what?