A point

And a miracle they got one.

1. Captain aHab says:

But Selanne isn’t black. Can you imagine if PK pulled the machine gun act? We would never hear the end of that…

The reality is that other teams are kicking themselves for not having drafted him. Nice for others to have that feeling from time to time.

2. Rugger says:

3 unsigned D-men, Rivet, Sourey and Markov.  It was so clear that Markov had to be the one signed that even Sourey said Gainey should sign Markov.  How Gainey got so much for Rivet I will never understand.

3. Habhopeful says:

pretty sure a ring is enough credit, Is it not? Considering he was also involved In the versteeg, buff contract mess…

“I went to see a fight the other night…And A hockey game broke out!”

~Rodney Dangerfield~

4. Da Hema says:

Going to Buffalo (or Edmonton for that matter) is punishment enough.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

5. ZepFan2 says:

“Why does it threaten you so much when someone disagrees?”

Just because I point out your arrogance, does not imply I’m threatened. Nice try though.

I’ve already told you. It’s not an insult if it’s true.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

6. Led says:

Something that surprised me about PK is his ability to make big defensive plays. Also, his ability to hold off checks and make space for himself is highly entertaining. I can’t wait for his first end-to-end rush that results in him scoring.

7. bwoar says:

Rivet + Dykhuis.

‘Nuff said.

8. Exit716 says:

He crapped all over the Habs in one of his first interviews in San Jose. I thought it was hilarious when he got dumped by the Sharks after building his dream house and then had to play in Buffalo.

9. Da Hema says:

While I disagree Rivet was a pylon, I was pleased Gainey traded him away not only because of the bounty the Habs received from the trade but also because Rivet was a mediocrity who thought he was good enough just by lacing up his skates. Rivet was one of the main sources of the “spirit of mediocrity” that prevailed during his tenure with the Habs.

————————

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

10. Just A Guy says:

My only question is did you click and paste Hjalmarsson like I just did? “Tell him he’s Wayne Gretzky.” – Oilers coach Ted Green, after Shaun Van Allen suffered a concussion and couldn’t remember who he was.

11. Just A Guy says:

Good point, and I don’t think there’s any trouble in the organization, given the parity in the western conference, it’s no suprise that teams like SJ and Chicago have found themselves out of plyaof spots during the season. The question was more of is there a general animosity among GMs.

but SF was also good in pointing out letting the Sharks have the contract they bid on and kept Buff on the defense, though I’m not sure if that was the thinking “inside the box”.

12. billylove says:

Busy day for Wilson. Picked up Eager as well.

13. MikeL says:

Not sure which I like more; PK or a fired up Mike Boone.

Teemu Selanne is a pretty well respected veteran in the league, right?

Well, he was young once too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptnM8KZwleg&feature=related

14. Aybara says:

I get the feeling that it might be racism as well.

Obviously nothing blatant, but instead latent racism in people like Cherry etc. They are simply jealous of the skill and attention that Subban is getting and somewhere unconsciously (hopefully not consciously) feel like he doesn’t deserve it because he’s black.

All I can say is I hope PK keeps rubbing their ignorant noses in it.

15. Shiloh says:

But you’ve given it enough thought to post and insult repeatedly – unless you’re ‘nobody’. Why does it threaten you so much when someone disagrees? I think PK took a glorious highlight moment from his career and cheapened it – but that’s just an opinion. It was a tremendous goal.

16. SeriousFan09 says:

Blackhawks should have let him take Hjalmarsson and kept Big Buff, imagine what their season would be like right now if they’d let him go back to D with a Top-4 of Campbell, Seabrook, Keith and Byfuglien.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. TomNickle says:

And they hadn’t considered for one second that Price may have done it in response to Malkin’s one man ping pong game he tried to play late in the game.  Which many players would tell you is far more arrogant than a simple pose after a win.

18. Aybara says:

Not to mention that doing it in the wrong order is even more insulting to the opposition… That’s like saying, yea i’ve had a minute to get over the excitement but im still gonna jam it down your throat.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s human emotion and it’s part of who PK is. He’s an exciting, up-tempo player who loves every single second he has on the ice. He scored the biggest goal of his season, easily and saved a game that nearly went down the tubes. In those moments, it was a pure rush of adrenaline and joy as he did what he’d been waiting to do all season, step up in a clutch moment and win a game for the team.

Teams going for ‘revenge’ can also see it backfire, the Canadiens still hold a 2-1 series advantage over the Penguins this season  as the Penguins were also seeking ‘revenge’ over the playoff upset and until last week it didn’t work for them. Frankly, the Penguins just showed how petty they are when they made a fuss about Price making the move on the SO win and saying that was their motivation to win. He stoned them flat to win the game and they couldn’t deal it with like adults, how about just wanting to win the game for sake of proving you can actually beat Montreal one out of every five times?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

20. Ayan_SB says:

Dayman, fighter of the Nightman, champion of the sun….

21. TomNickle says:

He has way too much talent in his organization both young and old for teams to ignore him when looking at adding players.  If there’s a fire sale in San Jose, 29 teams will be on the phone with Wilson looking for something.  Clowe, Setoguchi, Thornton, Vlasic, Demers, Couture, Pavelski, Niemi.

22. ZepFan2 says:

Once again, I’m quite sure no one gives it much thought if you like or dislike PK hot-dogging.

“but all the posters and Boone can’t force me”

There’s your arrogance. Nobody is forcing anybody.

“And, you clearly care enough to insult me”

It isn’t an insult when it’s true!

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

23. Just A Guy says:

Finally, Pierre MacGuire just mentioned something news worthy that doesnt include Subban, I was talking with a co-worker today about how pissed off managers might be at Doug Wilson. First he makes the Hawks overpay for Jahlmrson (no I didnt spell that right), now he poaches Wellwood off the Blues. Anyone think there will be some backlash, say nobody willing to trade with him?

24. Danno says:

I certainly respect your right to feel that way, but consider this. Even in the straight-laced world of GOLF they have celebrations and fist pumps etc. I’d be a lot more worried if PK just simply skated off the ice all stone-faced and silent.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

25. TomNickle says:

Wow.  And who in God’s name are you to say what Subban should have done?  Like skating over to Gomez.  Your personal taste for goal celebrations doesn’t make Subban’s right or wrong.  It’s just your personal taste.  I personally didn’t raise my stick when I scored when playing hockey, but I didn’t have a problem with guys who did.  I think you might just be wound up a bit too tight.

26. SlovakHab says:

This criticism of Subban’s celebration is pure idiocy. Sport should be fun and players can celebrate goals the way they like. Look at soccer players. They jump and do all sorts of crazy things and nobody cares.

And all sorts of stuff that Subban has been criticised for… I suspect it could be some sort of racism.

I never heard so much BS going on about one young player that plays with passion and makes the game exciting for fans. It’s not like he’s doing some sort of Sean Avery crap.

27. JIMVINNY says:

A celebration doesn’t work in that order.  It’s exuberance first, then congregate with your teammates.  To do it the other way around would make it seem forced, and fake.  Everything PK isn’t.

28. Shiloh says:

And who in God’s name are you to call someone arrogant for not enjoying hot-dogging? I don’t like it in any sport – which is simply a preference, nothing else. I understand that I do not hold the majority view on this site – big deal. Get over it.

And, you clearly care enough to insult me – so doesn’t that mean your argument is not only weak but false?

29. ZepFan2 says:

Talk about arrogant.

I’m pretty sure nobody cares if you don’t, “like excessive celebrations that don’t first include acknowledging your teammates.”

G-love is a big boy. He’ll get over it.

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

30. Danno says:

Thanks for that.  There’s definitely some chemistry between those two.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

31. Just A Guy says:

All this talk about Subban and the celebration, his on ice demeanor, the eggshells he stomps on to the annoyance of the old school attitudes polishing the brass on the titanic is all a “yeah but” reaction to someone who is just that good. I can’t really say any more then that since that Sean Gordan article says it best. Once he starts learning how to influence the pace of the game, hes going to be something special.

32. TomNickle says:

Good luck finding somebody to bad mouth a 50 goal scorer and a guy who carries himself with little to no passion outside of the way in which he plays the game.  Your argument here is falling on deaf ears.  PK Subban has been targeted, he’s been targeted by Don Cherry, by the Philadelphia Flyers and by players around the league who realize that hindering his development would be a tremendous positive for THEIR franchises.

So stop with this, he’s the victim of his own creation crap.

33. Shiloh says:

Love PK – and the goal was incredible, but all the posters and Boone can’t force me to like excessive celebrations that don’t first include acknowledging your teammates. Pk should have gone over to Gomer first – then he could shoot geese with his bow and arrow or pull calla lilies out of his ass – or whatever.

It’s not that big a deal to anybody except, of course, the opposition, who will be loaded for bear the next time we face them. You can bet that, when (not if) Calgary beats us the next time, we may see a few bowstrings and quivvers. It was the same with Price’s pose – totally unnecessary, but he earned the right to do it, I guess. And the team he did it against earned the right to jam it down our throats the next time – which they promptly did.

34. awesomerino says:

“i think most main stream media i have heard have supported pk”

Well, it is the white thing to do.

35. TomNickle says:

You can call it gamesmanship.  But if I were a captain who’d been a healthy scratch several times over and my team was scratching and clawing just to get climb the ladder, and the team I was playing had won all three meetings on the season, I don’t think my team would need outside motivation, and if they did, I’d be very worried.

36. TommyB says:

Doughty, and the list goes on and on.  Only one player has been singled out.

37. Sakus Evil Twin says:

All this hullabaloo about an exuberant and exciting player who FINALLY brings some spice and energy to the NHL just blows my mind.

…and the so-called wise ol’ veterans who call for respect and dignity are so narcissistic to think that these shows of excitment and celebration are actually about them.

Fer chrissakes – let PK be in the moment and perform. Let him do special things and whip the crowd into a frenzy.

I recall a punch drunk Craig Rivet throwing himself into the Habs bench when he scored against Ottawa to secore the Habs berth into the 2002 playoffs… I don’t recall him apologizing to the Ottawa players for his distinct lack of discretion and reserve.

I know it’s been said about 300 times in the last 5 minutes, but PK is going to switch on more TV sets and put more bums in seats than all the Richards/Rivets and other deadheads combined. They WISH they could be PK.

Stick with it, big yin.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

38. zak says:

To all the P.K. winers and complainers out there . There’s not one team out there that wouldn’t love to have P.K. on their team and to all the habs fans that wine about his celebration suck it up and be happy his on our team and not on another team

39. TommyB says:

C’mon, Tom…simple gamesmanship, that’s all.  It’s not like Rivet sought out the reporter and said “I got something to say about that Subban kid”.  He was asked a question and he gave an opinion.

40. Hali_Hab says:

HEAR HEAR!!!

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.“
    Guy Lafleur.

41. TomNickle says:

Doughty didn’t get it after behaving on and off the ice in a way that is close to identical to the way Subban has handled himself.

42. habs001 says:

racism does exist but if pk was white i still believe he would get the same stupid comments he is getting now..non bland players usually do not get away with it in the nhl…avery is an idiot and he gets the negative coverage…i think most main stream media i have heard have supported pk

43. Mats Naslund says:

Thank you!

How come we never heard people crying about Taylor Hall.

How bout Matt Duchene

44. sidhu says:

Rivet is jealous, pure and simple — his career is on the decline, whereas PK is a rising star.

45. TomNickle says:

He doesn’t need to target PK Subban to get his teammates motivated Tommy.  And if your suspicion is true, it speaks more to his maturity than it does Subban’s, or consequently, the lack of maturity.

46. habs001 says:

also iginla hs mostly been praised and has received real positive feed back in his career..

47. Ayan_SB says:

Carey Price and PK Subban goofing around during a photoshoot.

48. awesomerino says:

Yes, they did a piece on them – on Martin Luther King Day.  But that’s not my point.  The issue here isn’t that black players are somehow uniformly persecuted in virtue of their race.  It’s that the level of tolerance for anyone who “doesn’t know his place” (Christ, it even READS racist) seems to be much, much shorter for black players.  It just so happens that players Kane and Byfuglien are as bland in their comportment as the other 99% of NHL players.

49. TommyB says:

I do not miss Rivet, in terms of what the Habs got in return, but I will not crap all over him for his opinion, even though I share none of it.  I liked Rivet when he wore the tri-color.  I liked that he would stand up for his mates, and there were few on that roster who would.  Rivet is near the end of his career now, fading away in Buffalo.  Rivet was a standup guy when he wore the Habs sweater, and that’s how I will continue to view him.  His comments regarding PK are likely more designed to light some fire under the Sabres asses, instead of intending to slam Subban.

50. CBrady12 says:

It’s sad but true…It was the same thing when Europeans started coming into the NHL…Also I agree that the Montreal sports media should defend PK BUT they are the ones that keep asking other NHL players their opinion on PK…you know what I mean? For once I would like a “journalist” from this city to question other players when they talk smack about PK….for example:

Reporter “What do you think about PK celebrating Craig?”

Rivet “I don’t like it. Hes acting too unprofessional..blah blah blah”

Now instead of taking just that and trying to make a “story” out of it, why dont you come back and say

Reporter “well did you see Chara yesterday? That’s just as unprofessional. Or Selannee shooting his glove out of the air? etc”

Rivet “uhhhhhhhh….uhhhhhhhh…lemme get back to you in the press box later”

Oh well, all that PK needs to know is that the fans here love him and his teammates like him…fuck Rivet and the rest of the league

51. Rugger says:

I think racism is only part of it, big part of it, but not all.  There is also an anti Canadiens part to it that shows itself in Pleks not even being in the discussions about the Selke, Price not being on the All-star ballet etc.

52. Ayan_SB says:

Dude, you look like Charlie from It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Which is cool btw.

53. Keith says:

And cheers to you Mr. Boone for sticking up for PK against all the Chesterfield Cherry knuckledraggers.

54. TomNickle says:

Atlanta has actually come under fire for allegedly bringing in as many players of African descent as possible in an effort to attract their locals to hockey and the team specifically.

I reckon that a lot of the old boys are none too happy bout the way that young boy in red, blue and white displays his enthusiasm.

55. TomNickle says:

Yeah well this fan’s opinion is that it all looks really good on Stan Bowman who didn’t give any credit to Dale Tallon and Rick Dudley.  Bowman junior was completely classless in victory in his failure to acknowledge the men who built that team from the ground up.  His father had the class to do it however.

Trading Ladd and Byfuglien, big mistakes.  The Versteeg package was good but Milbury couldn’t have turned it down.  Turns out young Bowman has quite a lot to learn before singing his own praises again.

His self loving speech about how hard he had worked to build that team after the cup win was nauseating.

56. TommyB says:

Right, again.

57. Keith says:

“Craig Rivet is a pylon whose role on the Canadiens was to function as Saku Koivu’s personal valet and bodyguard.” I LMFAO at that one Mr. Boone 😉 The more I hear people complain about PK and how he conducts himself on the ice, the more I say, KEEP ON DOING WHAT YER DOING PK! To HELL with everybody else. The game needs an infusion of character and PK fits the bill big time.

58. habs001 says:

kane has received coverage in canada and byfuglien received a lot of coverage last year in the playoffs and this year i have seen several stories on him and the solid year he is having….tsn just did a piece on the 4 players of atlanta today..

59. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I could care less what Rivet thinks – let’s crush the Sabres tonight boys!

60. TommyB says:

First of all, they’re in Atlanta.  You think anyone gives a crap?  PK is front and centre in one of the highest profile NHL cities.  Considerably more noticeable, league-wide, as far as attention from hockey fans and sports media.  He’s more noticeable.

61. habs001 says:

ak46 and pouliot are playing better now but if they pull the same thing they did last year in the playoffs this year than it will be hard to keep both for next year..

62. awesomerino says:

How much coverage do the Thrashers get in the mainstream hockey media?  How flamboyant are any of those four players?  How far do you think anyone would get making such thinly-veiled comments in ATLANTA, whose population enjoys one of the highest percentages of African-Americans among US cities?

63. Hali_Hab says:

GREAT article by Sean Gordon, He hit the nail right on the head and i love it.  “As much as you may think this league and this game belong to you and your acolytes, it doesn’t. Not any more.” Thanks for that link Mr Boonebastic.

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.“
    Guy Lafleur.

64. TommyB says:

Nobody wants to say it.  But you nailed it.  Let all the denying begin, but there has never been such a big deal made over any of the other young stars and their hot-dogging.

65. TomNickle says:

Craig Rivet taking shots at PK Subban eh.  Well, Lindy Ruff was once the captain of the Buffalo Sabres.  I imagine he has a pretty good idea of what the organization wants out of its captain and what it needs from that player.  Since Rivet’s been a healthy scratch on several occasions this season as the captain, it’s safe to say that Rivet isn’t nearly as wise as he lets on.

66. habs001 says:

atlanta has four black players …are they being targeted?

67. Habnofear says:

The reaction from Subban’s team mates is whats concerning to me…F.F.S.’s let the kid celebrate and do it with him!!!Besides he just save face for the team!

68. habs001 says:

with the team playing last night and several players having flu issues we may need price big time today…the wiz looked tired yest and may be in worse shape today…next month we have 3 back to backs in a row…but the sched is tough for all teams as calgary was playing its 3rd game in four nights on the road yest…

69. awesomerino says:

Good on you, Boone.  At this point, I think there’s an onus on the Montreal sports media to defend PK to same degree that he’s maligned elsewhere, because it’s truly ridiculous.  People can try to sugarcoat it as some kind of league-wide aversion to personality, or ‘hot dogging,’ but doing so only helps to perpetuate the real problem: the undercurrent of racism that lurks just beneath the surface of the NHL.  It’s disgusting.

70. CBrady12 says:

I hate to say it but I agree

71. JD_ says:

Isn’t hockey fun?

All this rhubarbin’ over our buddin’ superstar; I wouldn’t want it any other way.

You know, people can tell you how to act – and sometimes you do have to make a physical adjustment, hopefully for all the right reasons and to improve your overall game – but they absolutely cannot tell you how to feel. That’s all yours. What I’m seein’ is a kid who’s already figured that out.

Were PK playin’ for the Broonz or Philly, I would absolutely hate his effin’ guts from here to Hamburg. I can think of no greater personal honour I can bestow upon an NHLer.

Except, of course, for Pronger. He’s a ball bag ‘n’ a git.

Game on, baby!

SubBANG!

(Caught The King’s Speech today. As always, Geoffrey Rush is excellent. But, Colin Firth? Holy battin’ ’em out of the park, Batman. Absolutely brilliant.)

72. king ddd says:

Oh wait I forgot, PK is black that is why. Silly me.

lol

73. king ddd says:

wow, i really feel bad for subban. ever since this morning on sports du lit till now all i ve been hearing is about how PK should calm down. i dont get it the kid scores a goal and got the right to celebrate. is not like as if he  did the ovechkin monkey dance( you know the stupid celebration where he pretended his hockey stick was on fire- now  its not that i am against it and all , but it was just dumb lol. i took me a while to figure out what he was doing). any ways as price would say . people should just chill!

74. spos080808 says:

So let me get this straight, there is a big uproar about PKs OT celebration that was basically Ray Bourqe-esque.

Yet nobody in the media even questioned what Chara did yesterday afternoon.

I live in Boston so let me tell you all.

It was 6-0, yes 6-0 in the 3rd period. Chara had 2 goals. Well he scored his hat trick goal from the point. What did he do in a now 7-0 game? He skated to center ice, fist pumped, pointed to the fans, and made a gesture for them to take off their hats and throw them on the ice. In a 7-0 game.

So how come PK gets killed for his celebration in an OT win but in a blowout nobody cares about Chara “showing” up the Canes with his.

Oh wait I forgot, PK is black that is why. Silly me.