A butt-kicking

One of the ugliest Ls of the season.

Four Pittsburgh goals on the power play.

And the game turned on a late goal in the second period.

1. PeterD says:

Forget Chris Neil…I would rather have a Mike Fisher…we need scoring not fists.

2. christophor says:

but maybe he’s not as bad as the CBC former enforcers. He’s just saying what Pitt might do. But Price is big enough to take care of himself.

3. christophor says:

Apparently Matthew Barnaby doesn’t like Carey Price’s posing.

What’s with networks hiring only former enforcers/pests?

4. Mike Boone says:

Problem is, my meds wear off during the first period

5. Ayan_SB says:

Some blogger by the name of Rick Keene is “reporting” it.

After all the things Cammy’s said about how much he loves playing in Montreal, and the way in which he raised his game last playoffs, I call that rumour total BS.

6. petrov14 says:

I think my favorite part of this blog is the Boone Commentary leading up to the game. It gets me pumped.

______________________________________ Long live Captain Gionta.

7. CBrady12 says:

BOONEEEEE I agree Already Home is a sick track!!!

8. teamplayer says:

anybody have link to the game tonight?

9. billylove says:

Cammy for Marleau, straight up!

10. Fire_Laraque says:

Dude, i’m not saying I believe it, I’m just saying I heard it 🙂 Don’t shoot the messenger.

11. Castor says:

It was actually Brian Burke in disguise. Grabovksi is coming back for Cammy.

12. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

I don’t want this to be taken as an endorsement of Neil, as I don’t want him on the team either, but I think his rep for only taking on small guys is unfair. So far this year, his fights include: Colton Orr, Chara, and Deryk Engelland.

13. Robert L says:

That would explain Dr. Eric Lenczner accompanying off the ice in the middle of the Penguins game….

14. billylove says:

I like the boys to continue the surge again tonight!

Sharks are facing the heat big time here in the Bay. If they don’t turn it around against the Oilers Thurs, Wilson will seriously look at making a move which could present an opportunity for the Habs.

15. christophor says:

we just traded a chris neil to anaheim

16. Habfan19 says:

Did anyone ever write an article or list of players that opted for the WHA back then, guys

that woulda made the 70s team even more legendary? Tardif, Houle, J.C.Tremblay off the top

of my head……just wonderin….

Ya gotta want it…

17. Fire_Laraque says:

Heard on Mix 96 that Cammy asked to be traded.  Anyone has anything on this?

18. DearyLeary says:

Exactly, why get rid of Max only to get a downgrade in Neil?  It’s stupid.

19. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

I’d rather have Pyatt than Neil. Heck I’d rather have Laraque.

20. scrowe21 says:

Lapierre actually has some skill. Chris Neil is a dumb goon.

21. Castor says:

Some people’s comments astound me.
    Look at the last weeks worth of games. Darche is involved in almost every important goal.

22. andrewberkshire says:

Chris Neil fights anybody? Chris Neil? He doesn’t fight ANY tough guys.

23. ABHabsfan says:

My wife and her whole family are Leaf fans. Shortly after we first met, we made a bet on a Hab/Leaf game. She lost and she had to wear my Habs jersey home to visit her folks. When her dad came to get her at the airport, he walked right past her not recognizing. It was beautiful! They are all still Leafs fans, whateryagonnado?

24. DearyLeary says:

As someone who goes to a fair number of bulldogs games I’ll go along with Palushaj and White.  Enqvist isn’t even close.

25. mbplekfan says:

Darche is playing because Martin wants a hardworking example to showcase. He’s not that good, but he does provide some leadership to the younger players and he works hard without complaining.

In the absence of another player to take his spot he’s a good fill in type guy. We dont have an up and comer in Hamilton to take that spot so he’s good for this year.

Next year Palushaj, White, and Endqvist may be ready to move up.

26. DearyLeary says:

I’m pleading with the Montreal fan-base to stop talking about this buffoon.  We already got rid of one headcase in Lapierre, lets not bring in another one in Neil.

27. solomio says:

Nothing wrong with Chris Neil. Plays hockey well, hits hard and fights anybody.

More of an upside than Pyatt  or Moen I’d say.

28. habguy says:

he’s a career minor leaguer.

if it weren’t for his last name, he wouldn’t even be on the habs.

29. zak says:

And what do we do next year with our cap space? Markov,Gorges, Gill, Wiz,

30. DearyLeary says:

Sounds like she’s had her spirit broken anyway.  If you can convert her it’s still kosher.

31. Mr.Hazard says:

For sure. Getting Kovy locked-up long term should be a priority for the Sens.

32. Chris1138 says:

Damn, I better tell my fiancee (a leaf fan) that it’s over. Nevermind the fact she’s bought me two of my three Habs jerseys and a hockey painting signed by Beliveau.

33. mbplekfan says:

Darche is a journeyman AHL player. He’s having a good year and getting lots of icetime from a coach that likes him.

We should avoid thinking he is more than that. The career NHL guys are not going to accept an A on this guys sweater, nor has he done anything that even remotely qualifies him to wear it.

He’s a good example for the young guys but the older players dont look up to him.

34. DearyLeary says:

Am I alone in the confusion over the Darche lovein?  He’s missing so many chances it’s ridiculous.  If having pucks deflect off you into the net is all it takes for Habs fans to heap praise onto a player, we’ve got big problems.

I appreciate the grit, I do, but come on now he’s just not that good.

35. Mr.Hazard says:

I feel similarly.

36. DearyLeary says:

Lame.  Everyone knows that Habs and Leafs fans cannot coexist, let alone have a relationship.

On top of that… I’m starting to just not care about Toronto.  They’ve been irrelevant for so long that it hardly qualifies as a rivalry anymore.  It’s becoming a one-way hate fest for Toronto, trying desperately to feel superior to Montreal.  Pretty pathetic, really.

37. Danno says:

They gave Darche the goal they originally awarded to Spacek last night, according to RDS

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

38. RetroMikey says:

I just love Darche…..hard working, has grit, character and has what it is to be a Habs player!

Wish they would assign an  “A” on his crest .

Just wish some othter players on our current roster would follow suit as well and learn a lesson or two from him.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

39. Habby_Haberton says:

Pretty funny clip here for all us Hab fans/Leaf haters!

40. NoTinFoilCups says:

Ryan Clowe for AK and Weber!

41. habs-hampton says:

You’re wondering why Clouston and Murray are still in Ottawa? If you fire them, you still have to pay them AND their replacements. And the team will still suck for the rest of the year. Melynk is waiting until the season is over.

42. habs-hampton says:

Not that it matters, but I still think that Gomez’s goal on Sat. was actually Darche.

43. JVF says:

I liked him, too, even though he could be a little frustrating offensively. Big heart. Terrible GM.

44. Mr.Hazard says:

I was wondering whether an injury would open the door to PK. He deserves to be there.

45. habsfan0 says:

..and what about Tardif’s great and good friend Rejean Houle?

46. PeterD says:

San Jose needs some Cap relief for next year…they have about half of next years Cap (~ $28.6 M) locked up in long term contract to 4 players (Healtley, Thornton, Marleau and Boyle) and a lot of talent coming due for new contra`ts after July 1st.  I don’t think they can afford to just tinker with some of their lower cost talent in trades…I think they need to move at least one high priced play to open up cap space and I woul dnot be surprized to see Marleau moved, even with his no movement clause.

Now maybe a AK46 for Marleau might be a good trade…they open up cap space and we get a big power forward winger we lack.

47. JVF says:

Ah, Marc Tardif. I used to love Marc Tardif. Now, there was a left-winger.

48. arcosenate says:

This is going to be a tough one, Pitt is not happy about losing, they’re not happy about losing to us and they’re going to want to prove they can play without the Skid. And we played last night and landed at 1am. Also I believe we have an injured rabbit.

Be quite a win to pull this one out…

San Jose Sharks swim in unfamiliar waters.

Article also has 30 team mini recaps.

50. PeterD says:

I think they are now playing for high draft picks this year so they can start to re-build…we will know that for sure when they hit the point in the season that even if they win all the rest of their games they still can’t move up in the standings, dump some high priced players (Spezza, Kovalev and Phillips) for more picks or prospects and …then they fire Clouston and Murray…lock in a new coach and GM and head merrily along their way to the Draft table in June.

51. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Too risky for Seto.

I agree, I’d rather have AK46 too.

52. Ayan_SB says:

It’s gotta be between PK Subban and John Carlson.

But the Caps already have Ovechkin and Green, while the Habs only have Price so far.

53. Mark C says:

Have you seen Setoghchi’s numbers the last year and a half?

54. Propwash says:

Giggady, allllllllriiiiight.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

55. scrowe21 says:

Cindy is a Penguin for life, cant see him bailing on Super Mario after how he took him in.

56. scrowe21 says:

People keep saying Kostitsyn for Setoguchi…but Im pretty sure SJ will check with every other team in the league before that would happen.

57. CHsam says:

the meat between the buns. heeyyo

58. CHsam says:

and Sid the Kid to play with Guy. That would be AWWEESOOOOOMMMME

59. habsforthecup says:

Ottawa is toast, Toronto is Waffles.. Montreal is…
    – A

60. thorandresson says:

why doesn’t Murray get the axe?  Seriously what are they waiting for in Ottawa?

61. thorandresson says:

Here’s my prophecy, in about 3 years once JM gets fired, the Habs will throw lots of money at Guy Boucher and Mathieu Darche will become his assistant.

62. habs001 says:

is there a possible trade option with san jose? as i mentioned earlier they have lost 5 games in a row…last night they play the leafs who are playing their 4th game in six days including the previous night and still score 4 goals on a rested san jose team in the third…san jose must be looking to shake things up…

63. GrimJim says:

I have heard Melnick was looking after the money end of it. Murray wanted to fire Clouston but Melnick wouldn’t let him do it because Clouston’s contract ends this season and Melnick doesn’t want to pay for two coaches for the rest of the season. Ottawa is apparently the only Canadian team that doesn’t sell out all its games so supposedly they watch the pennies there.

64. HUDSONHAB says:

There are designated leaders (whom wear the letters). Passing it to someone other than the guys on that list sends a bad message to the leaders and can put a riff in the team dynamics.

Having said that, I do agree with your leadership assesment of Mr Darche.

65. Graves says:

I’ve read a few different reports stating Melnyk basically told Murray that if he gives Clouston the ax, he’ll be shown the door right with him. No idea how credible that is, but it does make sense on a few levels.

66. Danno says:

Agreed. Ottawa is toast.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

Ottawa is toast for this year.  With that in mind, the only smart thing to do is keep going south.  There are four blue chippers in this year’s draft so Murray’s new prime directive is to grab one of them.  That player will then eventually replace Alfie.

Unless they sign Kovalev to a long-term extension.

68. avatar_58 says:

The ‘A’ rotated from Plek, Gomez, Cammy, etc. I would have no issue seeing it on Darche.

69. Da Hema says:

We may have stumbled on to why Andrei Kostitsyn plays the way he does. In that article Darche is quoted as saying “The forwards have to hold each other accountable…If you start deviating, you don’t want to come to the
    bench and have players telling you to wake up. Our coaches prepare us
    well, but the biggest pressure for a player is the other players. You
    know that if you play selfishly, someone will be right in your face.” When Andrei comes to the bench and the players say to him “You piece of sh*t, wake up” he hears “Great shift! Keep it up!!”

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

Health Canada is reminding Canadians that consumption of the Toronto Maple Leafs has led to vomiting, fever, bloody diarrhea, dementia, and penile dysfunction.

70. SPATS says:

Excellent article on Pouliot by Basu. http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110111/mtl_habshub_dailyhabit_110111/20110111/?hub=MontrealSports

One could also say excellent article on Darche by Basu. Is it me? Or is Darche really as good (valuable is a better term) as I’ve been wondering for 2 years now. Perhaps we are witnessing the birth of a great coach in Darche?  He doesn’t whine when he’s sent to the pressbox and he picks himself up and dusts himself off when he gets flattened (see last night) A true leader by example, and a very bright bilingual McGill Man. Let’s put the Gorges A on him.

71. Da Hema says:

One question, though, is whether a new coach would alter Ottawa’s fortunes. There is a rot in that organisation not all that different from another Ontario-based team.

An important announcement from the Government of Canada:

72. Just A Guy says:

Either Murray has been handcuffed by the ownership or he already knows once Clouston is gone, he is gone.

73. ooder says:

ughh il be in class… maybe i’ll leave a little early to watch the game..

feels like i havent seen a full habs game in so long

88 is the new 23

74. Mr.Hazard says:

I don’t understand how Clouston has survived this long? It’s beyond the point of getting out of hand.

75. oshawahabsfan says:

Considering Martin’s penchant for breaking up lines that are working, I’m wondering why he hasn’t paired Desharnais and Max. They were 1-2 in AHL scoring playing on a line together after all. Logic would say it’s working on the farm, let’s see if it will work on the big club…